• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

kvothe

Really glad they're doing this. Kinda Funny's essence always felt different than Beyond's to me and I think this was largely due to the introduction of Tim and Nick. I'm sure some people out there like those two, but they're just not for me.

Could a mod retitle this thread to "PS I Love You XOXO: Kinda Funny's PlayStation Podcast"? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to make this the hub for future episodes.

Really glad they're doing this. Kinda Funny's essence always felt different than Beyond's to me and I think this was largely due to the introduction of Tim and Nick. I'm sure some people out there like those two, but they're just not for me.
It's because (unless I'm mistaken) those guys were more on the production side of things at IGN, and while they also like games, they're a lot more casual about it vs. Greg and Colin's passion.

What I've assumed is the case for the Gamescast is they're trying to help Tim establish himself as a figure like Greg or Colin for the future. It makes sense for them to do so they aren't just relying on the two of them as "the hosts", but what generally happens then to the tone of the material is it becomes more like "here's a topic, let's ask our panel of experts (Greg/Colin) about it" rather than those people just having a discussion. They take turns saying their opinions and still discuss stuff, but it's a different format and having different hosts changes the dynamic

kvothe

It's because (unless I'm mistaken) those guys were more on the production side of things at IGN, and while they also like games, they're a lot more casual about it vs. Greg and Colin's passion.

What I've assumed is the case for the Gamescast is they're trying to help Tim establish himself as a figure like Greg or Colin for the future. It makes sense for them to do so they aren't just relying on the two of them as "the hosts", but what generally happens then to the tone of the material is it becomes more like "here's a topic, let's ask our panel of experts (Greg/Colin) about it" rather than those people just having a discussion. They take turns saying their opinions and still discuss stuff, but it's a different format and having different hosts changes the dynamic

It's not even their casual attitudes towards games that I have an issue with (well except for Nick's seeming need to constantly point out how casual about games he is), I just don't like their personalities all that much. Both of them seem caught up in appearances a bit too much for my liking.

It's not even their casual attitudes towards games that I have an issue with (well except for Nick's seeming need to constantly point out how casual about games he is), I just don't like their personalities all that much. Both of them seem caught up in appearances a bit too much for my liking.

What do you mean by that?

This is great. It's the Beyond successor that we deserve.

Also, I like TIm and Nick. Tim does a really solid job hosting and Nick gets sorta put in awkward situations id imagine trying to fill in on occasion for a subject he's not as passionate about. Either way, he's still pretty funny. Good dynamic with all involved.

Obviously, with 8+ years of experience together, Colin and Greg are a bit more nuanced in podcasts.

Kuni

Got this downloaded to listen on my commute tommorow (along with my Gamescast weekly fix). Good to see the positive response. The graphics and theme are very cool.

Pretty exciting gameovergreggy.

How does everyone feel about the length? Too long? Too short? Just right? Personally, I think an hour and a half would be good.
The more, the better. I only listen to Bill Burr's podcast and recently started to listen to Weapon Wheel podcast by BrokenGamezHD on youtube, so adding another recent podcast only makes it easier to work for me.

Wiggy

Great first show. It's awesome having them back. I actually reviewed them on itunes which is something I never can be bothered to do.

It's nice to hear things like "A BAKER'S DOZEN" with Colin audibly rolling his eyes again.

I do find this funny:
Colin, fall 2013: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2014"
Colin, fall 2014: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2015."
Colin, fall 2015: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2016."

Kei-

Hey--

Your math is right. Haters gonna hate.

(However we do Let's Plays every day, we break up the podcast every day, I'm on a million things outside of this, there's Colin & Greg Live every day, etc. I see the point, so maybe he's not a hater, but TECHNICALLY, you're right and he's wrong so let's dance.)

Greg

PS I Love You XOXO

Greg, really enjoying the first episode so far (about an hour in), have you guys considered getting a third chair on the show? Possibly Ryan Clements, or would that be a conflict of interested considering he's on the PSBlog podcast (last I remember he was)? Him working at PlayStation shouldn't be an issue, considering you guys had Shuhei on Beyond.

Also, haven't been keeping up with Kinda Funny as much as I'd like, you guys won't be having any sort of presence at NYCC, will you? Doubt it, since the brand is fairly new, but I went last year, and all I got was a picture of Colin behind security as they closed off the panel, I was like 15 people too late lol.

oGThV60.jpg

Hey--

Your math is right. Haters gonna hate.

(However we do Let's Plays every day, we break up the podcast every day, I'm on a million things outside of this, there's Colin & Greg Live every day, etc. I see the point, so maybe he's not a hater, but TECHNICALLY, you're right and he's wrong so let's dance.)

Greg

PS I Love You XOXO

I'm turning this thread into a hub for PlayStation I Love You XOXO. The original post has been overhauled.

DFox

It's nice to hear things like "A BAKER'S DOZEN" with Colin audibly rolling his eyes again.

I do find this funny:
Colin, fall 2013: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2014"
Colin, fall 2014: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2015."
Colin, fall 2015: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2016."

I don't believe its going to happen. Sony has learned from there mistakes from PS3 and they are not going to drop everything they have in the same period.

That happened 2010 (God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain) & 2011 (Infamous 2, Killzone 3, LBP2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Resistance 3, Socom 4, The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Uncharted 3).

I believe they will be able to spread there games out better since they are not trying to change peoples mind share. Microsoft on the already showed there hand trying to boost sales ReCore, Scalebound & Phantom Dust were shown too early.

--

XOXO

I don't believe its going to happen. Sony has learned from there mistakes from PS3 and they are not going to drop everything they have in the same period.

That happened 2010 (God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain) & 2011 (Infamous 2, Killzone 3, LBP2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Resistance 3, Socom 4, The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Uncharted 3).

I believe they will be able to spread there games out better since they are not trying to change peoples mind share. Microsoft on the already showed there hand trying to boost sales ReCore, Scalebound & Phantom Dust were shown too early.

--

XOXO

Man 2011 was the year of the 3s for Sony (and others). MotorStorm Apocalypse (MotorStorm 3), Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3. Then you also had Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and Saints Row the Third. Crazy.

It sucks that they spent so long on all those Uncharted stories, since they had already discussed them at length on Colin & Greg live. Great to have the podcast back though.

I don't like the name PS, I Love You. It's too long and cumbersome, they need something snappier like Beyond!

StoveOven

Banned
Listened through the Podcast and loved it. As a longtime fan of Beyond, I actually found the end of their reign there to be kinda bad. You could tell that they were no longer passionate about it and we were regularly getting 40 minute episodes. But this was just 2 hours of pure Greg and Colin PlayStation goodness. I think the 9 month break from doing a dedicated PS Podcast reinvigorated them a little bit, and I'm super happy with the outcome.

Mikey Jr.

Loved it. I would like to see a rotating third chair (when appropriate). Don't just get some dude just for the hell of it or doesn't know much about PlayStation or gaming in general. It would just bog down the conversation.

Listened through the Podcast and loved it. As a longtime fan of Beyond, I actually found the end of their reign there to be kinda bad. You could tell that they were no longer passionate about it and we were regularly getting 40 minute episodes. But this was just 2 hours of pure Greg and Colin PlayStation goodness. I think the 9 month break from doing a dedicated PS Podcast reinvigorated them a little bit, and I'm super happy with the outcome.

Perhaps. But maybe not. Maybe they wanted to put their heart into it, but had trouble juggling both their (then) jobs with the then GameOverGreggy YouTube channel (now obviously known as Kinda Funny Videos). I think leaving IGN was the best thing for them, especially now that they can focus on the new podcast 100%.

I've got about 10 minutes left in the episode. So good. All respect to Nick and Tim, I enjoy them for some stuff, but Colin and Greg are still my bread and butter.

Bolivar687

Banned
Just finished the episode. It sounded so natural, almost like they've been waiting to do this for a while and just now finally caved to the fan pressure. Can't wait to get more!

Mezoly

Just finished listening, really enjoyed it more than anything they've done so far at Kinda Funny. Beyond was the podcast that got me to listen to podcasts so I'm glad it's back.

The Xbox does not have more exclusives and never will

Looking forward to hearing the podcast it sounds like it was a good start

When they talked about this year ps line up I rolled my eyes a little bit. The question was about this year line up not just the fall and I think a head to head comparison with xbox for the year, PlayStation exclusives will fair a little better. I really believe Bloodborne not being their thing is somewhat shadowing their thoughts about this year exclusive lineup.

bigjig

I do find this funny:

It's amazing how Microsoft manage to give the impression how they have more exclusives when they haven't for years.

So. Damn. Good.

The hole in my heart that Podcast Beyond's departure left is finally filled.

I can't wait for the (obviously going to happen) PS I Love You Live At PSX. I mean, surely it's gotta happen, especially with Roper and Clements (both PlayStation employees) appearing. Even Sam Bishop works at PlayStation. Then you gotta get Shuhei Yoshida, Adam Boyes, and Scott Rohde to show up as well. Do it Greg! Do it! Maybe even go crazy and have it be a Podcast Beyond/PS I Love You XOXO cross-over because PSX is a celebration of PlayStation.

Shenmue

Banned
I can't wait for the (obviously going to happen) PS I Love You Live At PSX. I mean, surely it's gotta happen, especially with Roper and Clements (both PlayStation employees) appearing. Even Sam Bishop works at PlayStation. Then you gotta get Shuhei Yoshida, Adam Boyes, and Scott Rohde to show up as well. Do it Greg! Do it! Maybe even go crazy and have it be a Podcast Beyond/PS I Love You XOXO cross-over because PSX is a celebration of PlayStation.

Yes this! If this happens I'm going to have to bribe the wife with something very expensive to let me head to San Fran for a couple of days.

Speaking of all those Playstation guys, it's really telling that none of them seem to appear much on the new Beyond, but I'm going to bet most of them show up on PS before the show gets to episode 50.

Yes this! If this happens I'm going to have to bribe the wife with something very expensive to let me head to San Fran for a couple of days.

Speaking of all those Playstation guys, it's really telling that none of them seem to appear much on the new Beyond, but I'm going to bet most of them show up on PS before the show gets to episode 50.

They didn't visit the old Beyond much either. Only special occasions, like events and what not. People have been calling for Ryan to show up at Kinda Funny for a visit for a while, but unfortunately, like most potential guests, Kinda Funny films most of their content during the work day. Prior to leaving IGN, they filmed at night. That's why they had so many guest from IGN, in particular, early on. It was after the work day.

I do find this funny:
I don't know why he keeps saying this lol.. It hasn't been true in 2014 or 2015 for Microsoft. Sony has had more exclusives each year other than the two month period in 2013 when the games came out
I think/am guessing about 2013

Top Bottom