• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Episode 1 is great, I love the length. Beyond sometimes felt a little too short.

Good God what the fuck did IGN do to Podcast Beyond

The latest episode: https://youtu.be/tdzZirPvvL0

Yeah, that's pretty terrible. It doesn't feel that any of those people have a passion for PlayStation. It's kind of astonishing that the reins of Beyond weren't immediately given to Goldfarb when he returned to IGN, and now he's rarely even on the show. It's disappointing that they didn't continue the show's format or any of the segments, especially since Marty was on the show with Greg and Colin for a while. If this is what IGN was going to do with Beyond they should have just done the right thing and given the name to Kinda Funny.

RE_Player

Episode 1 is great, I love the length. Beyond sometimes felt a little too short.

Yeah, that's pretty terrible. It doesn't feel that any of those people have a passion for PlayStation. It's kind of astonishing that the reins of Beyond weren't immediately given to Goldfarb when he returned to IGN, and now he's rarely even on the show. It's disappointing that they didn't continue the show's format or any of the segments, especially since Marty was on the show with Greg and Colin for a while. If this is what IGN was going to do with Beyond they should have just done the right thing and given the name to Kinda Funny.
IGN keeping the Beyond name is the dumbest move they could have made. They failed to realize the Beyond name meant more than a podcast loosely focused on PlayStation. The individuals, passion and format is what created Beyond and I'm glad the true Beyond will live on through PS I Love You.

As someone who listened to Podcast Beyond literally from day one, I was disappointed in what happened after Colin and Greg left. I don't feel like Max Scoville or Brian Altano are as passionate about it. I dunno.....it just had so much more character before. So as huge fans of Colin and Greg, this really has me excited. Listening to episode one as we speak, and really enjoying it. Also taking notes as a way of improving my own podcast.

How does everyone feel about the length? Too long? Too short? Just right? Personally, I think an hour and a half would be good.

For me the longer the better. 3+ hour podcasts often become multi day affairs for me, which is great when my favorite podcasts come out on Tuesday and Friday.

prwxv3

Nice that that finally admitted they were wrong about DC being a complete failure. Now they need to learn that you can't just make any ps4 game VR compatible (or that Sony needs to do that). Still love them though

Nice that that finally admitted they were wrong about DC being a complete failure. Now they need to learn that you can't just make any ps4 game VR compatible (or that Sony needs to do that). Still love them though

Another thing I notice them not really mentioning is how the incredible sales of PS4 could affect PSVR. Look back to Move vs. Kinect. Move struggled, Kinect didn't. It was one of the fastest selling consumer products. The market share of 360, I think had everything to do with that, not the capabilities of the Kinect. I think the Move would've fared much, much better had PS3 been in front. The question is, does PSVR have staying power in the way Kinect eventually didn't? Time will tell. But I don't think you can ignore the install base of the PS4 when talking about the prospects of PSVR's potential.

Bolivar687

Banned
Motion controls were a dead end, whereas I don't think we'll ever run out of possibilities for VR. The only question is what kind of market penetration will it achieve, how many people genuinely want to put these things on their head.

kvothe

What do you mean by that?

To be fair, I haven't listened to the show regularly by any means, so maybe I just caught a couple bad episodes and normally these things don't happen, but:

Nick's obsession with his hair.
Tim's anecdotes about women.

I just have an irrational bias towards guys that do both of these things that make me think they're just overly concerned with appearances. Nothing wrong with stylizing your hair or having encounters with women, just talking about either of those things all the time comes off as egotistical to me.

For me the longer the better. 3+ hour podcasts often become multi day affairs for me, which is great when my favorite podcasts come out on Tuesday and Friday.

Hmmm... I wonder what podcasts you're talking about... ;)

Raimond

More to listen to on my way to and from work. I currently listen to bother of their podcasts on SoundCloud every day.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Finally getting around to watching it.

First thought - They should just say the PS I Love you not the XOXO

Second thought - Greg's hair is on point

Finally getting around to watching it.

First thought - They should just say the PS I Love you not the XOXO

Second thought - Greg's hair is on point

I think the XOXO will be dropped from the title as the show goes on, but will remain on the logo as XOXO means hugs and kisses as well as being the cross and circle buttons from PlayStation. It's too spot on of a thing to drop.

Portugeezer

Great first episode.

Though, IMO keeping the names of the segments the same was a bit tacky, even if they tried to joke about it ("Roper's" report)... but maybe IGN keeping the names was also stupid. So who is more tacky? I don't know.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think the XOXO will be dropped from the title as the show goes on, but will remain on the logo as XOXO means hugs and kisses as well as being the cross and circle buttons from PlayStation. It's too spot on of a thing to drop.

Yeah, I'd have left it on the poster, maybe even the name, I just wouldn't say it out loud.

Yeah, I'd have left it on the poster, maybe even the name, I just wouldn't say it out loud.

I didn't even realize it was part of the title when I posted this thread last week (as evidenced by the thread's title). I hope a mod changes the name, as I'm sort of turning this into the NeoGAF hub for the episodes they release.

I listened to this on my commute today and loved it. So glad they are back recording a PlayStation podcast and I like the fact they have kept some of the old segments from Beyond.

Shenmue

Banned
Nooo they shouldn't change the name. Every part of that name makes perfect sense and is really clever. Whoever thought of it really deserves a pat on the back.

9uWlFcK.png

My thoughts exactly, Tim. My thoughts exactly.

Shenmue

Banned
9uWlFcK.png

My thoughts exactly, Tim. My thoughts exactly.

So like I guessed. Big PS guys showing up on the show right away.

Mitch and Ryan seem to be doing really well for Podcast Unlocked nabbing that trio of Xbox head honchos and then Spencer again recently. Meanwhile at Beyond... Are the interesting interviews just rejecting their requests or are they not even trying?

I listened to Beyond on-again, off-again for years but it never really clicked for me the way the Bombcast did, until now. Great first episode and I really enjoy the way Colin and Greg balance each other out and will be adding this into my weekly rotation of podcasts.

So like I guessed. Big PS guys showing up on the show right away.

Mitch and Ryan seem to be doing really well for Podcast Unlocked nabbing that trio of Xbox head honchos and then Spencer again recently. Meanwhile at Beyond... Are the interesting interviews just rejecting their requests or are they not even trying?

I think neither. I think they were having trouble getting the show out, which was their reasoning for shifting the show to Wednesdays. Although, I do find it funny they announced that shortly after PS I Love You was announced as a Tuesday podcast.

Great first ep. Never realized how much I missed the old Beyond until I heard all the old segments and sounds.

I enjoy the comedy Altano and Scoville bring...but I can get that in Comedy Button. I'll still give Beyond a few weeks and see how they react with the competition and decrease in viewership.

Great first ep. Never realized how much I missed the old Beyond until I heard all the old segments and sounds.

I enjoy the comedy Altano and Scoville bring...but I can get that in Comedy Button. I'll still give Beyond a few weeks and see how they react with the competition and decrease in viewership.

Speaking of which, the new Wednesday era of Podcast Beyond began today.

Greg posted on Instagram that it'll be a skype interview

Ah. Okay. Hope they have no technical hiccups. Their Comcast Xfinity internet connection seems to be somewhat spotty going by Colin and Greg Live's issues (Twitch and XSplit are sometimes to blame, too).

The most recent Beyond had a similar discussion to the one G and C had on PS I love you. I hope Beyond doesn't just try and piggyback on what Greg and Colin do going forward.

Jetku

The most recent Beyond had a similar discussion to the one G and C had on PS I love you. I hope Beyond doesn't just try and piggyback on what Greg and Colin do going forward.

There's only so much news in the world of PlayStation each weak that there's bound to be tons of overlap.

Portugeezer

It's more that, if you talk about Vita one week, chances are that Colin and Greg would have also talked about Vita that week... because they just talk about Vita.

Fjordson

So glad they're doing this. I like the general games podcast Kinda Funny does, but I missed Colin and Greg as a duo in podcast form. First episode was a great start!

Fjordson

I'm also glad that this is a timely podcast about news and stuff. The lack of that sort of makes the Kinda Funny cast feel a bit listless at times for lack of a better term.

I have always loved Greg back with IGN but never paid much attention to Beyond. I always could not stand Colin but since they started Kinda Funny I have actually come to really like Colin. I don't agree with him on everything but I really like him now.

I honestly am not sure what bothered me about him before. Just maybe the way he comes off sometimes? idk but yeah I loved PS I Love You. Dig the gamescast as well.

Really stoked for episode 2!

Good to know who's superior and have something to strive towards.

I still think they're trying to find their footing, but are doing a pretty good job. When things aren't working (news ghost) they aren't sticking with them. Podcast Beyond hit its stride when it was primarily Greg, Colin, Ryan, and eventually Andrew. I believe that Max, Brian, and Andrew can do the same. But, there is no substitute for Greg and Colin. So let the new Podcast Beyond be its thing and embrace this new wonderful show from Greg and Colin.

Gusto

I was having a really bad day at work, then I turned on their podcast and instantly started smiling and laughing like a mutherf*cker. Oh man how I missed my PlayStation podcast. Great stuff fam. My Tuesdays are back to normal again.

I was a listener to Podcast Beyond from late 2013 onwards and I've been a KF Patreon supporter since day one. I honestly can't stand what Max Scoville and Brian Altano have done with Beyond, the final straw for me was when they started dragging in Comedy Button references (a really gross podcast they do outside of IGN, at least personally I think some of the content is pretty un-listenable) and basically turning Beyond into a generic IGN/Comedy Button podcast. They just don't have the same passion as Colin and Greg, and to my ears the first episode of PS I Love You was like Podcast Beyond coming back after a 10 month hiatus. This and 8-4 Play are my jam now.

Top Bottom