• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Gusto

I was a listener to Podcast Beyond from late 2013 onwards and I've been a KF Patreon supporter since day one. I honestly can't stand what Max Scoville and Brian Altano have done with Beyond, the final straw for me was when they started dragging in Comedy Button references (a really gross podcast they do outside of IGN, at least personally I think some of the content is pretty un-listenable) and basically turning Beyond into a generic IGN/Comedy Button podcast. They just don't have the same passion as Colin and Greg, and to my ears the first episode of PS I Love You was like Podcast Beyond coming back after a 10 month hiatus. This and 8-4 Play are my jam now.

When Colin and Greg left, I left. I was actually lucky enough to attend one of their last beyond shows at PSX.

Zukkoyaki

I was a listener to Podcast Beyond from late 2013 onwards and I've been a KF Patreon supporter since day one. I honestly can't stand what Max Scoville and Brian Altano have done with Beyond, the final straw for me was when they started dragging in Comedy Button references (a really gross podcast they do outside of IGN, at least personally I think some of the content is pretty un-listenable) and basically turning Beyond into a generic IGN/Comedy Button podcast. They just don't have the same passion as Colin and Greg, and to my ears the first episode of PS I Love You was like Podcast Beyond coming back after a 10 month hiatus. This and 8-4 Play are my jam now.
Obviously it's nearly impossible to replicate the old Beyond but you're right about Marty, Max, and Brian. They aren't even trying and it's been obvious since like March. There's nothing resembling effort by those guys to learn more about the PlayStation ecosystem. They spend at least half of every show going off topic, telling boring and uninteresting stories that they think are hilarious.

Greg and Colin get off topic sure, but they don't let the bullshit basically be the podcast.

Obviously we'll never know the numbers, but I really wish we could see the amount of listeners of Beyond before and after the departure and especially now that a true successor has emerged.

Arzehn

Good God what the fuck did IGN do to Podcast Beyond

The latest episode: https://youtu.be/tdzZirPvvL0

I loosely listened to Beyond with Colin and Greg, and while I enjoyed it I think you're being too harsh on the new crew.

I just finished watching the episode you posted (first time I listened to Beyond since they left) and I just don't see what the problem is with it...
In fact they covered a lot of niche games which is something I can get behind.

I feel kind of bad for the hosts when I see some of the comments. I think people are being critical of them for the wrong reasons. Unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, on liked the first episode of PS, ILY - mostly the Vita discussion. Hyped to have Shu on future episodes.

I was having a really bad day at work, then I turned on their podcast and instantly started smiling and laughing like a mutherf*cker. Oh man how I missed my PlayStation podcast. Great stuff fam. My Tuesdays are back to normal again.

Same, although I just moved to a new city and its my first week at a new job. Turning on their podcast for the first time in almost a year made me so happy kind of giggled out loud in my car. Damn glad theae dudes are back with a PlayStation podcast as I couldn't get in to KFG.

I loosely listened to Beyond with Colin and Greg, and while I enjoyed it I think you're being too harsh on the new crew.

I just finished watching the episode you posted (first time I listened to Beyond since they left) and I just don't see what the problem is with it...

I feel kind of bad for the hosts when I see some of the comments. I think people are being critical of them for the wrong reasons. Unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, on liked the first episode of PS, ILY - mostly the Vita discussion. Hyped to have Shu on future episodes.
I listened to the new Beyond for quite a few months until I tapped out. I'll give my reasons:
- They removed all of the previous segments Beyond had, some before even Colin joined. These were staples of the show and definitely made it different than other podcasts. Plus, it had a nice legacy from it. They added a nice new feature of 1 PS game classic, yay or nay but that was it. They did the ghost segment but that was not that effective.
- They don't seem all that knowledgeable on the subject. Other than maybe Golfarb, I know far more about Playstation than all three of the others. This makes it less appealing for me to listen to it.
- Due to those two issues, the podcast lost structure. They start talking about one thing and ramble about useless things too much. This happens with Greg a lot but Colin tends to quickly get things back on topic and they go talk about games once again.
- Removing listening to questions and songs at the end kind ruins the community of the podcast. Something Greg clearly understood and they don't (ie. they're marketing noobs).
- The biggest issue however, was passion. These guys weren't raised playing Playstation like Colin and Greg were. 3/4 of the crew, only one of them should be allowed in the podcast per week since they are a solid choice.. They should be part of the rotating chair. Get a proper PS fan that knows and actually gives a shit about the subject, keep Golfarb as #2 and the other three play the less important substitute bench and Beyond might raise to greatness. I don't listen to too many podcasts, and this one right now seems like some generic Playstation podcast #432142134213. There's nothing unique about it.

I will say that while I rarely dislike any members of the gaming press, I like many others in the Youtube comments really dislike Alfredo. He seems to add nothing of value when he is on.

Hmmm... I wonder what podcasts you're talking about... ;)

jvsIqgz.gif

Greg and Colin get off topic sure, but they don't let the bullshit basically be the podcast.

Even if they do, it's generally not a wasted moment. There's a fun story or something to work from. It also happens so rarely that it's an appreciated break from PS stuff.

Honestly, when you see two grown men cry on their last appearance and even feel it yourself, you know these are guys who aren't doing this just for the sake of doing it, but because they genuinely love being part of the overall PS fan community. You can't fake that and it's why Beyond is falling down so hard, because the people on that aren't part of the wider PS fan community. Why would I listen to a topic specific podcast where the people on it aren't fans of the specific topic?

(Edit: Goldfarb aside, but he's just one man!)

Shenmue

Banned
- The biggest issue however, was passion. These guys weren't raised playing Playstation like Colin and Greg were. 3/4 of the crew, only one of them should be allowed in the podcast per week since they are a solid choice.. They should be part of the rotating chair. Get a proper PS fan that knows and actually gives a shit about the subject, keep Golfarb as #2 and the other three play the less important substitute bench and Beyond might raise to greatness. I don't listen to too many podcasts, and this one right now seems like some generic Playstation podcast #432142134213. There's nothing unique about it.

I agree that this is the biggest issue with PB right now. But who at IGN now is actually a knowledgeable and passionate Playstation fan? I feel like they've got the Xbox and Nintendo side down with Mitch and Ryan on the Xbox side and Jose and Fran on the Nintendo side. I honestly don't think there's really anybody at IGN who's a fan of Playstation though.

They have absolutely zero passion for PlayStation. It's blatantly obvious if you try and get through a few shows.

They go off topic more than half of the show on random things that has nothing to do with PlayStation much less gaming.

Max Scoville is actually worse than podcast unlocked's Ryan Mccaffrey in his commentary and direction. Ryan at least knows the ecosystem and has tons of passion.

It's just tedious as hell to try and listen to that show now knowing they had an almost perfect show script. They changed most everything for the worse and Brian Altano along with Marty I think know it and they keep doing old Beyond things constantly trying to piss off Scoville.

I'm not sure if it was that episode or another one but one of those two even had the balls to say "The worlds # 2 PS podcast on the Internet" (In reference to PS I Love you getting # 1 without even having a show) and not one person commented on it as it. I would love to see Scovilles face when that was said.

I blame the entire crew not just Scoville, they should openly and frankly discuss why the show is losing huge amounts of listeners with Beyond and IGN leadership.

Edit: and like someone above me mentioned I know more about PlayStation than most any of them and 90% of GAF probably does as well.

IGN needs to do a mass recruitment campaign and ask people to YouTube themselves discussing PlayStation and hire 2-3 of them under a 3 month contract to see if they have the right chemistry.

killroy87

They have absolutely zero passion for PlayStation. It's blatantly obvious if you try and get through a few shows.

They go off topic more than half of the show on random things that has nothing to do with PlayStation much less gaming.

Max Scoville is actually worse than podcast unlocked's Ryan Mccaffrey in his commentary and direction. Ryan at least knows the ecosystem and has tons of passion.

It's just tedious as hell to try and listen to that show now knowing they had an almost perfect show script. They changed most everything for the worse and Brian Altano along with Marty I think know it and they keep doing old Beyond things constantly trying to piss off Scoville.

I'm not sure if it was that episode or another one but one of those two even had the balls to say "The worlds # 2 PS podcast on the Internet" (In reference to PS I Love you getting # 1 without even having a show) and not one person commented on it as it. I would love to see Scovilles face when that was said.

I blame the entire crew not just Scoville, they should openly and frankly discuss why the show is losing huge amounts of listeners with Beyond and IGN leadership.

Edit: and like someone above me mentioned I know more about PlayStation than most any of them and 90% of GAF probably does as well.

IGN needs to do a mass recruitment campaign and ask people to YouTube themselves discussing PlayStation and hire 2-3 of them under a 3 month contract to see if they have the right chemistry.

Altano and Scoville have ushered in this really awkward, cringe worthy era of IGN. Up at Noon is painful to watch too.

PS I Love You was incredible, it was like riding a bike for us as much as them. There was almost nothing in the way of growing pains, it was immediately comfortable. Can't wait to hear more.

That's a brilliant idea. Please get Jeremy, aka the Gamer2323. Absolutely hilarious, knows about Playstation but is not a biased idiot. His laugh.. lawd have mercy, so many pigs squealing/dieing. Mystic would also be good. Have him remove the irrelevant Beyond crew members and let him lead with Golfarb.

Hey I know GAF hates the new Beyond because we had the audacity to change the format and we don't literally wear the skin and repeat the same sound effects as the previous hosts, but please focus on Colin and Greg's new show instead of constantly shitting on ours. They made the version of Beyond for people who never want anything to deviate from what it was. We made the version that tried something different. Everything will be OK.

Both shows are great. Both shows co-exist comfortably. We've been nothing but supportive and respectful to C&G as they're very close friends of ours. If you stopped listening to our show, please give it another chance. It's gotten way better over the last few months. If you hate us and want us to die because we never worked with Chris Roper, please listen to PS I Love You. If you can be an adult about it all, please listen to both shows. Just stop shitting on us in a thread that isn't about us at all. Thanks, and Beyond!

ChanMan

Hey I know GAF hates the new Beyond because we had the audacity to change the format and we don't literally wear the skin and repeat the same sound effects as the previous hosts, but please focus on Colin and Greg's new show instead of constantly shitting on ours. They made the version of Beyond for people who never want anything to deviate from what it was. We made the version that tried something different. Everything will be OK.

Both shows are great. Both shows co-exist comfortably. We've been nothing but supportive and respectful to C&G as they're very close friends of ours. If you stopped listening to our show, please give it another chance. It's gotten way better over the last few months. If you hate us and want us to die because we never worked with Chris Roper, please listen to PS I Love You. If you can be an adult about it all, please listen to both shows. Just stop shitting on us in a thread that isn't about us at all. Thanks, and Beyond!

Brian, that is cool and all but I think you should

$_35.JPG

but on a serious note I agree both shows have something great to offer, I know you guys put a lot of effort and love into Beyond. :)

Portugeezer

It's not surprising that people in this thread dislike the new Beyond.

I think the new Beyond is fine. The transition was difficult with Max not understanding the references, but I still listen most weeks. For me it will be be more irrelevant when they cover the same main topics during the week... already heard Greg and Colin talk 1 hour about Yoshida's remarks, don't really feel the need to listen to Beyond this week.

Hey Brian. Big fan here, always like your appearances on Game Scoop and NVC. I miss your Minecraft videos with Greg!
Change is great, Beyond changed a few times over the years with the original crew, and it was always for the best (well maybe not when Ryan left!!). Clearly Beyond is very special for a lot of people, I think the issue was with the new people coming in, using the name Beyond, but having little regard for the legacy of the show. Just because you didn't work with Roper doesn't mean he's not important and didn't earn having a segment in the show. You wanted to do something different and that's great, but I don't think it's right to call it Podcast Beyond.
When the IGN Xbox podcast was restarted, the name 3 Red Lights wasn't used, and Unlocked benefited from that. I don't understand, especially with how important Beyond is to so many people, why the same care and approach wasn't used.

You guys planning on a live PSX episode of Beyond? I think if Beyond/PS I Love You were to ever cross over, that would be the perfect place for one. Also, not aimed at you, but PlayStation in general: I think it'd be great if PlayStation at PSX created a PS Trivia competition where PlayStation podcasts are pitted against each other to be crowned the PS Trivia Champion.

I feel like Colin will make 40 minute episodes if he gets his way. I don't get it sometimes, does he like making Podcasts or not?

I think he just understands time management. I don't think he's opposed to longer podcasts, but I think he understands they're not supposed to take days to listen to. 40 minutes is a decent length, because it allows people, who may not have massive amounts of time, to still enjoy it.

2 hours is nice for special events, like a first episode, but I don't have that much time to dedicate to a PS podcast every week.

Hey Brian. Big fan here, always like your appearances on Game Scoop and NVC. I miss your Minecraft videos with Greg!
Change is great, Beyond changed a few times over the years with the original crew, and it was always for the best (well maybe not when Ryan left!!). Clearly Beyond is very special for a lot of people, I think the issue was with the new people coming in, using the name Beyond, but having little regard for the legacy of the show. Just because you didn't work with Roper doesn't mean he's not important and didn't earn having a segment in the show. You wanted to do something different and that's great, but I don't think it's right to call it Podcast Beyond.
When the IGN Xbox podcast was restarted, the name 3 Red Lights wasn't used, and Unlocked benefited from that. I don't understand, especially with how important Beyond is to so many people, why the same care and approach wasn't used.

They don't have to keep the exact same format (and shouldn't) they can make major changes the problems everyone has is just:

1. Passion / Knowledge
2. Off topic far too much about random stuff not related at all about PlayStation.

At the very least fix number 2, 1 would hopefully fix itself over time.

They don't have to keep the exact same format (and shouldn't) they can make major changes the problems everyone has is just:

1. Passion / Knowledge
2. Off topic far too much about random stuff not related at all about PlayStation.

At the very least fix number 2, 1 would hopefully fix itself over time.

Yeah, that's true too. I think if Max and Marty came on with the same passion as Greg and Colin, there'd be way less complaining.

Brian you guys shouldn't have kept the same concept and should have made changes. However it would be a good idea to listen to constructive criticism. Take a stop watch and re watch/listen to the last 4-5 episodes and time the difference between when your focused on PlayStation specific information and then everything else.

That of all things should be addressed first.

Give up saying Beyond over and over again, it doesn't work. Those days are long gone and need to be moved aside for something else you guys come up with.

Another passive-aggressive post from an ign editor... I don't know why they torture themselves and browse gaf. Of course people are going to compare this to their original ign podcast, and it can't really be denied that beyond has been a bit of a shambles since colin and greg left.

Sayers

I will say that while I rarely dislike any members of the gaming press, I like many others in the Youtube comments really dislike Alfredo. He seems to add nothing of value when he is on.

I have to imagine the only reason he keeps getting invited back is because he is Tim's best friend. I cannot conceive of any reason they would continue to keep inviting someone so boring back.

Guys, this thread is meant to celebrate there is a podcast that brings back the classic Beyond style, not bash the new iteration of Beyond. There's room for both. Besides, PS I Love You XOXO is Podcast Beyond in all but name. There's no need to create a podcast war, as I'm pretty sure Greg and Colin would resent such treatment of their friends from IGN, and I'm sure Max, Brian, Andrew, Marty, Jared, and Vince would feel the same in return. So, let's try and stay on topic. Please.

Vlitra

Banned
Hey I know GAF hates the new Beyond because we had the audacity to change the format and we don't literally wear the skin and repeat the same sound effects as the previous hosts, but please focus on Colin and Greg's new show instead of constantly shitting on ours.

Nah, you guys are ok. Just give Max some breathing room when he tries to keep the show on track.

Apathy

Hey Brian, big fan of yours specifically, I wanted to say that yes both shows co-exist and I download and listen to both shows although yes I will admit that the new Beyond is not what I was hoping for (yes yes change is good sometimes but it's odd). I am not a huge fan of Max either on Beyond or on the Comedy Button, but he sometimes gets me with something he might say (he just seems to dominate the room sometimes and no one can match him).

I guess one of the larger complaints is that the new Beyond does not really sound like a very die hard PS podcast like it did with Colin and Greg. It sounds more like just "oh hey here is some news, ok". While yes Colin and Greg seem to genuinely enjoy the PS brand, they also criticized it a lot it still seemed to come from a perspective of big fans of it.

Now beyond does seem to have that when someone like Jared is on the show and the way he talks about certain franchises he really cares about. Podcast unlocked is similar with the Xbox stuff. I think the new beyond is still looking for it's place and so are the people on it. Having Goldfarb be in seems to help a lot, like I said Jared is really passionate about some PlayStation focused things and even you and Marty may have some moments. I say keep doing what your doing and maybe people will see the genuine love you guys might have for PlayStation things, right now with Colin and Greg coming out with their new podcast, the spotlight is on them and people are just falling into the more comfortable space that they once knew.

Brap! Brap!

mitchlol

Hey I know GAF hates the new Beyond because we had the audacity to change the format

If you hate us and want us to die because we never worked with Chris Roper, please listen to PS I Love You.

I didn't dislike the new Beyond format and I don't dislike any of the people on the show, I just felt that it became a series of jokes where each of you are trying to one up the next with some hypothetical scenario which kept getting more and more ridiculous. It had a very "bro" vibe to it and I found it off putting.

Also for a playstation centric podcast it didn't feel very playstation centric...

Bolivar687

Banned
Bizarre and vague criticisms of the new Podcast Beyond should probably go here:

What do you think of the new Podcast Beyond so far?

They were up front from the first episode that it was going to be a different show. I don't know how anyone can impugn Max' enthusiasm for PlayStation when in one of the first episodes he was talking about playing Proteus and Luftrausers on the Vita for crying out loud. That Greg and Colin dynamic is something they built up over the course of years but I still think IGN has a good show. Max and Brian were already pretty much regulars before the transition.

BruceCLea

Banned
I still think they're trying to find their footing, but are doing a pretty good job. When things aren't working (news ghost) they aren't sticking with them. Podcast Beyond hit its stride when it was primarily Greg, Colin, Ryan, and eventually Andrew. I believe that Max, Brian, and Andrew can do the same. But, there is no substitute for Greg and Colin. So let the new Podcast Beyond be its thing and embrace this new wonderful show from Greg and Colin.

Well Beyond needs a damn moderator or someone to steer the ship. The first 15 minutes of EVERY episode is all the guys talking over one another and trying too hard to be funny. There's absolutely no structure. I never know what the fuck is going on. I'll be listening f to Greg and Colin. I like Brian, everyone else is annoying on Beyond.

vypek

I never listened to Beyond in the past when Greg and Colin were hosting it but I heard great things. Decided that since this project is kind of successor to it that I would start listening since its only an episode in. Listened to it at work and enjoyed it. I think I'll keep on listening. Very enjoyable podcast.

Altano and Scoville have ushered in this really awkward, cringe worthy era of IGN. Up at Noon is painful to watch too.

I totally agree... I listen to that show and I think to myself "they are trying too hard to be funny" when they're not. Makes me cringe! Brian and Max try to wedge in stupid jokes that crack themselves up, but none else... I take that back -- Marty laughs at everything those buffoons say... He's like Robin Quivers on Howard Stern -- he just guffaws at the other guys' jokes... At least Stern has talent and is funny. They would have been better served to start a new podcast fresh rather than keep the name Beyond, because it just is not Beyond!and don't get me started on Up at Noon. What a waste of bandwidth that show is. IGN has changed soooo much since Greg's departure, across the board.

It is so awesome to have Greg and Colin back doing their thing. I'm likely done with Beyond other than an occasional listen.

BruceCLea

Banned
Nintendo Voice Chat is great. There are just not that many Nintendo games!

Gusto

tumblr_inline_nj3lme8K801sjvw3v.gif

notaxation

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the first episode. Keep the podcast long. Or at least, keep it without strict time limitations.

Thank you! And by the way, consider this a "thank you!" for everyone else that had something kind to say about the show. We are absolutely thrilled to be doing our brand of PlayStation podcast again, and are so humbled with how it's being received. We thought people would dig it; we didn't realize it would shoot to #1 without an episode even being launched. It's, like I said, the epitome of humbling.

There will be no time constraints. We'll go as long or as short as we feel is necessary that week. I wouldn't expect two hours to be the norm, but I wouldn't expect any episode to be 45 minutes long, either.

This is great. It's the Beyond successor that we deserve.

Also, I like TIm and Nick. Tim does a really solid job hosting and Nick gets sorta put in awkward situations id imagine trying to fill in on occasion for a subject he's not as passionate about. Either way, he's still pretty funny. Good dynamic with all involved.

Obviously, with 8+ years of experience together, Colin and Greg are a bit more nuanced in podcasts.

I've been disappointed with the way some people have been speaking about Tim lately. He's doing his best, and I think he's doing a good job. He has a ton of experience with online video production, strategy, and all of that, but he is a novice when it comes to hosting a video or podcast, and I don't think he comes off "novice" at all. As you said, Greg and I have done literally hundreds and hundreds of videos and podcasts together. We're thick as thieves. Hell, we've lived together for like five years. You're not going to build our rapport and energy overnight, or maybe even ever. What Greg and I have is special. It's not common, at all. It's important to keep that in mind. I thank my lucky stars every day that I have a partner like him who I work with seamlessly.

I think people need to cut Tim some slack. He's coming into his own very nicely. He's only getting better and better, like a fine-ass wine.

It's nice to hear things like "A BAKER'S DOZEN" with Colin audibly rolling his eyes again.

I do find this funny:
Colin, fall 2013: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2014"
Colin, fall 2014: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2015."
Colin, fall 2015: "Microsoft has more exclusives, but that's okay because we don't know what all these Sony studios are working on. We'll learn a lot more in 2016."

To be fair, with the way the first party schedule has been shuffled around (i.e. The Order's delay, Uncharted's delay), I think it's fair of me to make this claim over a couple of years. It IS exciting. We have no shortage of games to play on PlayStation 4. Exclusives are great -- and they're going to be coming in droves in 2016, 2017, and 2018 -- but they're not the only thing that makes the world go 'round!

It's also worth noting that Xbox One has the superior exclusive catalog this fall, which is all I've been really saying. Some people have been conflating that with a year's worth of exclusives, which I think Sony has been competitive in up to this point with Bloodborne and Until Dawn. Still, hard to deny that Sony is at a first party disadvantage this fall. The interesting thing will be if it even matters, which is why I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

It sucks that they spent so long on all those Uncharted stories, since they had already discussed them at length on Colin & Greg live. Great to have the podcast back though.

I don't like the name PS, I Love You. It's too long and cumbersome, they need something snappier like Beyond!

There's going to be inherent crossover between our products, but we want to keep it to a minimum. PS I Love You XOXO will always, always, always be a far deeper dive into things than anything else we do, which will differentiate it. But for people that watch every minute of the literally 15 hours of content we do a week are going to find some repetition. There's nothing we can do about it.

I also must admit that I'm a little surprised as some people not liking the name here, since people really seem to love it overall. I wish I could take credit for it, but that's a Nick Scarpino joint through and through.

Loved it. I would like to see a rotating third chair (when appropriate). Don't just get some dude just for the hell of it or doesn't know much about PlayStation or gaming in general. It would just bog down the conversation.

I have to be honest: I was never thrilled with the rotating third chair idea. I think it has the potential to kill the flow of the show and the dynamics of the relationships on the show that already existed. Many people point to the Miller-Moriarty-Clements/Miller-Moriarty-Clements-Goldfarb/Miller-Moriarty-Golfarb eras as the "Golden Era" of the show, and that's because there was continuity. You knew us. You knew how we did the show. That's why it was so awesome for so many people. I really believe it was because the cast was static. That said, we wouldn't have found some true podcasting gems -- like Jared and Vince -- had we not had that idea. So I really do see it both ways.

We will have people on the show when it makes sense, but it's not going to be a super common thing. We are excited that we will have a half an hour segment with Shu on Episode 2, however!

Nice that that finally admitted they were wrong about DC being a complete failure. Now they need to learn that you can't just make any ps4 game VR compatible (or that Sony needs to do that). Still love them though

Driveclub was a financial success, with over two million units sold, but I absolutely stand by the fact that a.) Sony and Evolution absolutely blew it with the year-long delay, and b.) I will be skeptical of anything Evolution does moving forward until they show me something that isn't broken for months and months. What happened with Driveclub was embarrassing for Sony, and rightfully so. I'm glad that it did well and proved to be a great game for racing fans, but let's not sugarcoat reality, either.

Motion controls were a dead end, whereas I don't think we'll ever run out of possibilities for VR. The only question is what kind of market penetration will it achieve, how many people genuinely want to put these things on their head.

Bingo.

I was having a really bad day at work, then I turned on their podcast and instantly started smiling and laughing like a mutherf*cker. Oh man how I missed my PlayStation podcast. Great stuff fam. My Tuesdays are back to normal again.

I'm really glad that we can be there for you again. Be well.

When Colin and Greg left, I left. I was actually lucky enough to attend one of their last beyond shows at PSX.

That was an impossibly hard show for us to do, because we couldn't tell you what we already knew: that we were leaving, and that we'd never do Beyond live again. I'm glad the show was such a hit for people, because it was extremely sentimental and important for us to do PSX right.

I feel like Colin will make 40 minute episodes if he gets his way. I don't get it sometimes, does he like making Podcasts or not?

I love making podcasts. You may forget that I did 250 of them with the Beyond brand alone, not to mention doing IGN's short-lived music podcast, being a regular on the old TRL, and even creating my own political podcast outside of the show for a while. Then there's The GameOverGreggy Show, Kinda Funny's core product, which was my idea to do to begin with. Of course I love doing podcasts! I think that's pretty clear.

What you have to remember is that for my last two years at the site, I ran the PlayStation beat by myself. I managed those relationships, I planned the content, and I did the lion's share of the actual PS-centric work, too. I had very little time to waste; I didn't want to let my bosses down, or Greg, as IGN PlayStation has such a storied and successful history. As a result, doing Beyond for more than an hour was truly difficult for me. I hope you understand that that's the only reason why Beyond may have been shorter sometimes. I simply had other things to do. Now? We own our own business, we run the show, and we will make time to make PS I Love You XOXO as long as it needs to be on a week-to-week basis. We're also planning some special one-off episodes...

---

Anyway, thank you again for all of the kind words, for listening, for subscribing, and for believing in us. You have truly blown us away, and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Now, I have to go record this interview with Shu! Wish me luck. -Colin

Thank you! And by the way, consider this a "thank you!" for everyone else that had something kind to say about the show. We are absolutely thrilled to be doing our brand of PlayStation podcast again, and are so humbled with how it's being received. We thought people would dig it; we didn't realize it would shoot to #1 without an episode even being launched. It's, like I said, the epitome of humbling.

There will be no time constraints. We'll go as long or as short as we feel is necessary that week. I wouldn't expect two hours to be the norm, but I wouldn't expect any episode to be 45 minutes long, either.

I've been disappointed with the way some people have been speaking about Tim lately. He's doing his best, and I think he's doing a good job. He has a ton of experience with online video production, strategy, and all of that, but he is a novice when it comes to hosting a video or podcast, and I don't think he comes off "novice" at all. As you said, Greg and I have done literally hundreds and hundreds of videos and podcasts together. We're thick as thieves. Hell, we've lived together for like five years. You're not going to build our rapport and energy overnight, or maybe even ever. What Greg and I have is special. It's not common, at all. It's important to keep that in mind. I thank my lucky stars every day that I have a partner like him who I work with seamlessly.

I think people need to cut Tim some slack. He's coming into his own very nicely. He's only getting better and better, like a fine-ass wine.

To be fair, with the way the first party schedule has been shuffled around (i.e. The Order's delay, Uncharted's delay), I think it's fair of me to make this claim over a couple of years. It IS exciting. We have no shortage of games to play on PlayStation 4. Exclusives are great -- and they're going to be coming in droves in 2016, 2017, and 2018 -- but they're not the only thing that makes the world go 'round!

It's also worth noting that Xbox One has the superior exclusive catalog this fall, which is all I've been really saying. Some people have been conflating that with a year's worth of exclusives, which I think Sony has been competitive in up to this point with Bloodborne and Until Dawn. Still, hard to deny that Sony is at a first party disadvantage this fall. The interesting thing will be if it even matters, which is why I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

There's going to be inherent crossover between our products, but we want to keep it to a minimum. PS I Love You XOXO will always, always, always be a far deeper dive into things than anything else we do, which will differentiate it. But for people that watch every minute of the literally 15 hours of content we do a week are going to find some repetition. There's nothing we can do about it.

I also must admit that I'm a little surprised as some people not liking the name here, since people really seem to love it overall. I wish I could take credit for it, but that's a Nick Scarpino joint through and through.

I have to be honest: I was never thrilled with the rotating third chair idea. I think it has the potential to kill the flow of the show and the dynamics of the relationships on the show that already existed. Many people point to the Miller-Moriarty-Clements/Miller-Moriarty-Clements-Goldfarb/Miller-Moriarty-Golfarb eras as the "Golden Era" of the show, and that's because there was continuity. You knew us. You knew how we did the show. That's why it was so awesome for so many people. I really believe it was because the cast was static. That said, we wouldn't have found some true podcasting gems -- like Jared and Vince -- had we not had that idea. So I really do see it both ways.

We will have people on the show when it makes sense, but it's not going to be a super common thing. We are excited that we will have a half an hour segment with Shu on Episode 2, however!

Driveclub was a financial success, with over two million units sold, but I absolutely stand by the fact that a.) Sony and Evolution absolutely blew it with the year-long delay, and b.) I will be skeptical of anything Evolution does moving forward until they show me something that isn't broken for months and months. What happened with Driveclub was embarrassing for Sony, and rightfully so. I'm glad that it did well and proved to be a great game for racing fans, but let's not sugarcoat reality, either.

Bingo.

I'm really glad that we can be there for you again. Be well.

That was an impossibly hard show for us to do, because we couldn't tell you what we already knew: that we were leaving, and that we'd never do Beyond live again. I'm glad the show was such a hit for people, because it was extremely sentimental and important for us to do PSX right.

I love making podcasts. You may forget that I did 250 of them with the Beyond brand alone, not to mention doing IGN's short-lived music podcast, being a regular on the old TRL, and even creating my own political podcast outside of the show for a while. Then there's The GameOverGreggy Show, Kinda Funny's core product, which was my idea to do to begin with. Of course I love doing podcasts! I think that's pretty clear.

What you have to remember is that for my last two years at the site, I ran the PlayStation beat by myself. I managed those relationships, I planned the content, and I did the lion's share of the actual PS-centric work, too. I had very little time to waste; I didn't want to let my bosses down, or Greg, as IGN PlayStation has such a storied and successful history. As a result, doing Beyond for more than an hour was truly difficult for me. I hope you understand that that's the only reason why Beyond may have been shorter sometimes. I simply had other things to do. Now? We own our own business, we run the show, and we will make time to make PS I Love You XOXO as long as it needs to be on a week-to-week basis. We're also planning some special one-off episodes...

---

Anyway, thank you again for all of the kind words, for listening, for subscribing, and for believing in us. You have truly blown us away, and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Now, I have to go record this interview with Shu! Wish me luck. -Colin

Welcome! I'm actually trying to make this thread the de facto thread on NeoGAF for PS I Love You. I absolutely can't wait for the Shu interview (and maybe hearing some more of him teasing you of what unannounced Sucker Punch or Bend games he's seen). Are you planning on doing PS I Love You at PSX like you did Beyond last year? I think it'd be symbolic. Your last live show of Beyond was at PSX 2014. It only makes sense that your first live show of PS I Love You is at PSX 2015.

Since both Colin and Greg are reading this thread, please ask Shu about whether or not we'll see Gran Turismo 7 this year. He has a terrible poker face, so we should at least be able to get something out of the question.

Top Bottom