• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

EmiPrime

27:30 is a joke. "Xbox One s on par with PS4Pro"

408997260.jpg

Between that and saying you can sort of "Frankenstein" a New 3DS by buying an NFC reader and the control pad pro and even entertaining the possibility of a $100 upgrade for existing PS4 owners to upgrade to a Pro I really think Goldfarb needs to bone up on his videogame tech knowledge. Not being mean but it's not a good look when you can't even get the rudimentary stuff right.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
so you agree that ps4pro and xbox 1s are the same?

No. That's why I said pretty much. LOL.

The Xbox One Slim has the 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive while the PlayStation 4 PRO has a stronger GPU at 4.2TF. Other than that, they pretty much are the same. LOL.

I'm buying a PS4 Pro mainly because I have an Xbox One Slim and im buying a 4K TV with 10 bit HDR so I figure since im going to have the capabilities, why not buy the Pro?

If I had to choose between the Pro and PS5 in late 2018 or 2019, I would choose PS5 but oh well, Sony made this decision even before they launched the original PlayStation 4.

Colin and Andrew are more right than wrong by far. The comments by Andrew House were a joke. Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that I'll have two out of three things by month's end, I wouldn't buy Pro at all.

I'm still 100% against the idea and think that it's truly stupid but at the end of the day, none of us can stop it from releasing it. You either can buy it or not.

I think the PS4 Pro is a great idea. Smart of them to price it only $100 higher. Sure it's not going to get the existing base to want to go and upgrade, but hell I'd jump on that if i didn't already own a PS4. It's a great stop gap until the PS5, which will hopefully be in a couple years.

Also, I might be one of the few, but the lack of a UHD drive doesn't concern me in the slightest. I'm so done with physical media, movies especially. If they can sell me a cheaper unit by not including it, I'm all for it.

RPGam3r

No. That's why I said pretty much. LOL.

The Xbox One Slim has the 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive while the PlayStation 4 PRO has a stronger GPU at 4.2TF. Other than that, they pretty much are the same. LOL.

I'm buying a PS4 Pro mainly because I have an Xbox One Slim and im buying a 4K TV with 10 bit HDR so I figure since im going to have the capabilities, why not buy the Pro?

If I had to choose between the Pro and PS5 in late 2018 or 2019, I would choose PS5 but oh well, Sony made this decision even before they launched the original PlayStation 4.

Colin and Andrew are more right than wrong by far. The comments by Andrew House were a joke. Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that I'll have two out of three things by month's end, I wouldn't buy Pro at all.

I'm still 100% against the idea and think that it's truly stupid but at the end of the day, none of us can stop it from releasing it. You either can buy it or not.

You're 100% against something that you're buying, way to stick with your convinctions. And they're not pretty much the same, that's disingenuous.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You're 100% against something that you're buying, way to stick with your convinctions. And they're not pretty much the same, that's disingenuous.

I'm 100% against the idea but im getting it for $50 so why not do it? For $50, im not going to complain and I'll just go with the flow. I figured that for that price, im getting better visuals, HDR, hopefully better or locked frame rates and hopefully, different options like in ROTTR. Now, if I had to spend a straight $400 on it then hell no. I would just stick with my base PS4 and the Xbox One Slim.

But the deal im going to get due to buying it as well as the fact that I have an Xbox One Slim and im buying Forza Horizon 3 as well as Gears of War 4 and they both support HDR as well as other games like Battlefield 1, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon, Horizon, For Honor, COD: IW and hopefully Mafia III, I can't go wrong especially since im buying the games anyway.

I looked at the comparison spec chart for the Xbox One Slim and the PS4 Pro. Outside of what I previously said, there's a minimal at best difference. One has the 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive and the other has more graphical processing power. Other than those two differences, what else is there that's really a major difference?

filly

For the record, mid PS3 and XBox 360 cycle I convinced at least 5 of my friends to switch to PC because we all had 1080p screens and wanted to play at that res in better quality. A console that is attempting to do what the PS4 pro is doing is exactly what I want, I want to see first parties in their best light and I'm getting tired of podcasters and commenters thinking that the demographic doesn't exist or that we're somehow insignficiant, despite PlayStation telling you that they have data that tells them the opposite. If you don't think there is value to the PS4 pro that is cool, but I want one. I expected a little more positivy from some of the community and I love listening to PS I love you for the most part, but as an enthusiast for tech this podcast sounded more tone death to their audience than Sony was at their press conference!

Also the processor box on VR does not effect visual performance, the screen on the VR is 1080p and it need to run at least 90fps, this is not easy for a PS4. Because of this loads of games are going to have to have low quality or lower resolution. The pro will make the PSVR a more viable competitor, with higher fidelity and res and help VR in general have more of a fighting chance.

Sony are in a tough place, they simultaneously don't want to devalue their current product and want to sell a new one. There are mixed messages for sure, they could definitely of done a better job selling the console.

Also, if your PC gamer doesn't mean that you always can afford it even want the best tech, in the 360 era it was enough just to have everything running at 1080p for me and I got a 670gtx for a fairly good price to see me though until the end of the gen. This gen unless you are willing to spend tonnes of money 4K is far out of reach and as such even though the 4K is compromised, the PS4 pro is quite desirable.

krae_man

Source on all this?

his ass (until proven otherwise)

Do you have a gaming focused podcast or youtube show? You should. This stuff right here is gold!

Here are two articles about the same GDC Presentation:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/16/11247288/playstation-vr-processing-unit-ps4

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-playst...h-for-ps4-psvr-playstation-4-virtual-reality/

He says "It's not X" Then proceeds to say it is X.

It's offloading tasks required for the VR to work the way they want to the processor box to free up PS4 resources to make games.

It would be no different then if the entire PS4 OS was offloaded to the box freeing up 100% of the PS4 CPU+GPU and RAM to make games instead of the normal 80%(or whatever it is).

Here are two articles about the same GDC Presentation:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/16/11247288/playstation-vr-processing-unit-ps4

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-playst...h-for-ps4-psvr-playstation-4-virtual-reality/

He says "It's not X" Then proceeds to say it is X.

It's offloading tasks required for the VR to work the way they want to the processor box to free up PS4 resources to make games.

It would be no different then if the entire PS4 OS was offloaded to the box freeing up 100% of the PS4 CPU+GPU and RAM to make games instead of the normal 80%(or whatever it is).

I think it's been confirmed that the breakout box does two things: takes the video signal to the headset and warps it, where as the same video signal is "unwarped" and sent to the television (especially for couch multiplayer VR games). It also handles the 3D audio for the headset. Which is what your second link says. It does nothing else. Your initial post said it did stuff with RAM and CPU, which (as the second link shows) is not true. I think that's what they were calling you out about.

krae_man

I think it's been confirmed that the breakout box does two things: takes the video signal to the headset and warps it, where as the same video signal is "unwarped" and sent to the television (especially for couch multiplayer VR games). It also handles the 3D audio for the headset. Which is what your second link says. It does nothing else. Your initial post said it did stuff with RAM and CPU, which (as the second link shows) is not true. I think that's what they were calling you out about.

It also says it helps with the second screen being a different then what's on the headset if games want to do that.

Also what is it doing that stuff with? They are all just computer processes that take CPU and RAM.

Sony is just splitting hairs by saying "It's not available to devs to use" when it's doing required OS level stuff that the PS4 would normally do freeing up that space for devs to use.

It also says it helps with the second screen being a different then what's on the headset if games want to do that.

Also what is it doing that stuff with? They are all just computer processes that take CPU and RAM.

Sony is just splitting hairs by saying "It's not available to devs to use" when it's doing required OS level stuff that the PS4 would normally do freeing up that space for devs to use.

Those computer processes happen in the console. 2)/5 the breakout box does is to split them.

Cyriades

"because of Colin" lol

crapgamer's sole life purpose is to shit on PlayStation. What does Colin have to do with that?

The "Xbox One s on par with PS4Pro" .. Colin seemingly agreeing with it.

Where else do these crapgamer and the like get this stuff from. They read NeoGaf and made that topic from this. The bickering back and forth with Kinda Funny and NeoGaf trending.

I understand not being technically minded, but how can you reasonably claim that two machines are on par when one performs twice the amount of floating point operations per second? And to somehow position yourself as being an informed individual in the industry seems....extremely hypocritical?

Love Colin but I cant get behind this one.

On Twitter, Colin is saying he'll never be back here and will stick with the nice fans over at Kinda Funny.
I don't think it's a smart idea to alienate a large forum like NEOgaf when you're entire business is based on crowd funding.

But what do I know.

(Full disclosure: I'm a patreon supporter of KindaFunnyGames and will continue to do so.)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh wow GAF managed to repulse Colin. He may have been ignorant about some specifics but to insult him to the point where he avoids the forum, that is not okay.

RedAssedApe

Banned
On Twitter, Colin is saying he'll never be back here and will stick with the nice fans over at Kinda Funny.

that thread was (kinda) funny. of course after colin replies to someone's "Are you ok?" tweet, someone immediately chimes in to call gaf the "cesspit of videogame fans" lol

Maximo

Of course... echo chamber is nice

I mean..if you browse the topic of this weeks episode (and last weeks)..its not really alot are indeed calling him out, however in saying that the posts don't touch the amount of shitty posts this one has received.

Moneal

I mean..if you browse the topic of this weeks episode (and last weeks)..its not really alot are indeed calling him out, however in saying that the posts don't touch the amount of shitty posts this one has received.

Not surprised given some of the responses on here.

Don't blame him sometimes GAF can get up and arms.

Oh wow GAF managed to repulse Colin. He may have been ignorant about some specifics but to insult him to the point where he avoids the forum, that is not okay.

where are these insults, and shitty posts, and bashing of him? What happened between his attempt to "engage" with us, to his leaving that caused him to leave? Go read the posts between #4576 and #4706. Don't give me posts before or after that, because before that he was still interested with "engaging with us, and any posts after that are reactions to his posts about leaving. I am not seeing what happened between the two that would warrant that type of response and to leave.

Nope. He just could not refute any of the sound points put forward by several Gaffers, and decided to flee the scene instead...
I expected better, honestly.

Obviously he can do whatever he wants. But a bit weak to not acknowledge the people who actually wrote reasonable posts without insults.

killroy87

Obviously he can do whatever he wants. But a bit weak to not acknowledge the people who actually wrote reasonable posts without insults.

I don't think there are any (and if there are, incredibly few) posts with insults in the first place.

I get not wanting to respond, it's a no win situation for him. But it was a bit silly to come in, ask for examples, and then not respond to them lol.

Maximo

where are these insults, and shitty posts, and bashing of him? What happened between his attempt to "engage" with us, to his leaving that caused him to leave? Go read the posts between #4576 and #4706. Don't give me posts before or after that, because before that he was still interested with "engaging with us, and any posts after that are reactions to his posts about leaving. I am not seeing what happened between the two that would warrant that type of response and to leave.

Ok? My response had nothing to do with Colin leaving, I simply said his own fans on the Kinda Funny Forums are also calling him out and that some posts in here have been shitty towards him. There are been many posts like Planets that have highlighted and broken down Colin opinion made in the last podcast and believe it even got quoted on the Kind Funny forums, however some and seems like I have to repeat myself SOME meaning a minority have been on the borderline of what I would consider to be *shitty" and alittle too far, thats all man.
My god I never expected the PS4Pro to cause so much chaos I don't even own a current generation console but the madness has been fun to read, can't wait till the scorpio releases.

Ok? My response had nothing to do with Colin leaving, I simply said his own fans on the Kinda Funny Forums are also calling him out and that some posts in here have been shitty towards him. There are been many posts like Planets that have highlighted and broken down Colin opinion made in the last podcast and believe it even got quoted on the Kind Funny forums, however some and seems like I have to repeat myself SOME meaning a minority have been on the borderline of what I would consider to be *shitty" and alittle too far, thats all man.
The problem is that Colin and some seemingly die hard fans are trying to act as if there are more attacking posts than there really is.

Honestly, 99% of the posts here (even before Colin asked for examples) were civil and simply discussing their disagreement with his reasoning yet Colin and some fans are acting like the majority were attacking and only some people were being OK.

It really does just come across like Colin doing it to avoid actually discussing with us (as evidenced by his refusal to answer people who didn't specifically use time stamps or even the person who did) and some fans just being fanboys and rushing to his defence, ready to bash the whole forum and proclaim their undying support for him.

The whole thing is just sad and kinda funny to see
pun intended lol

Maximo

The problem is that Colin and some seemingly die hard fans are trying to act as if there are more attacking posts than there really is.

Honestly, 99% of the posts here (even before Colin asked for examples) were civil and simply discussing their disagreement with his reasoning yet Colin and some fans are acting like the majority were attacking and only some people were being OK.

It really does just come across like Colin doing it to avoid actually discussing with us (as evidenced by his refusal to answer people who didn't specifically use time stamps or even the person who did) and some fans just being fanboys and rushing to his defence, ready to bash the whole forum and proclaim their undying support for him.

The whole thing is just sad and kinda funny to see
pun intended lol

200w.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I honestly suggest you go back to Colin's second-last post a few pages back, and then read every post between that and his last post. This is NOT what happened, this was a good thread tbh.

madmackem

It's pretty funny listening to these podcasts as someone who is into tech and has some level of understanding of how it works and what it is. Saying the s is like the pro but then saying Scorpio is some how totally different from the pro when we know nothing about the Scorpio but a number is just ok.

I like Colin I'm a big kinda funny fan, however I don't get what he's screaming about here, he keeps saying who's asking for this then in the past complains about games running like shit, he then says what's it bringing just more power, well that's all most consoles have brung since we went 3D.
His anger is clouding his judgement on this pro, Scorpio is the pro with a bit more power ms have said Scorpio is an Xbox it will play the same games the current console does just better just like the pro.

ST2K

Colin is definitely allowed to withdraw himself from environments that are becoming harmful to him. I can't imagine what it's like to have everything you do constantly scrutinized and picked apart, and then being bombarded by people who have a bone to pick with things that you've said. It's gotta be tough. Especially when it's peppered with personal insults. Even more so if you're going through some other stuff in your life and what was white noise becomes something that darkens your mood further.

With that being said, people should and must have the ability to provide negative feedback on any content. Personal attacks should obviously be set aside, but the ability to point out things that you disagree with is vital to good discussions in a community and, frankly, vital to someone who has a public role on the internet with a dedicated fanbase. Colin is not obligated to engage with this thread or with anyone on GAF or elsewhere, but as a co-founder of a successful and thriving internet company, I would hope he will come back at some point and be able to thoughtfully address criticism. I would hope he could ignore the potshots and address thoughtful fans who had genuinely held differences. I would hope he would be able to see that just because people passionately disagree with his video game opinions, that doesn't mean they hate him or are impugning him personally. I would hope Colin knows that taking in feedback from everywhere is a valuable asset for him and his company.

So yeah, I hope he's ducking out for an indeterminate time before rejoining us. But I understand if he doesn't want to, even though I think that's unwise.

I don't think there are any (and if there are, incredibly few) posts with insults in the first place.

I get not wanting to respond, it's a no win situation for him. But it was a bit silly to come in, ask for examples, and then not respond to them lol.

He dug the hole himself 2 weeks in a row. I agree it was a no win situation. I guess it was easier for him to take the ball and go home than admit factual inaccuracy in his comments? Who is looking forward to next podcast?

Top Bottom