• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

I had one major issue with this episode, and I know I've just wasted my time because Colin has walked away from this thread, but here it is anyhow with timestamps.

9:00 - Goldfarb states that if you are concerned with graphics, you'd be gaming on a PC.
12:06 - Colin has been agreeing with Goldfarb and then adds that this is a problem Sony created in their own minds.

But... at 5:10 - Colin read off Sony's reasoning word-for-word on why they are doing this. To STOP people from going to PCs. Apparently, this is a thing. It's not imaginary. It's not something they just pulled from their butts. It is a real concern. Console generations don't get graphic boosts throughout their lifetime and as the years go on their age shows and those that ARE concerned with graphics can compare their 5-year-old console to the latest PC and see that they are getting the inferior game. And they may start buying PCs and/or PC games towards the end of a console generation. Sony is trying to prevent that.

And then... at 32:29 Colin rereads that same argument. That Sony is doing it to stop people from migrating to PCs. So, he has this "unforced error" argument sandwiched between Sony's clear and logical reason for why they are making the Pro at this time. It's not to leave PS4 users behind, it's to STOP current PS4 users from migrating to a PC and maybe save some game sales that may go to Steam or Windows or wherever.

For the record, I still love Colin and Greg and PS I Love You XOXO, but the last two episodes were hard to listen to. At least the first part of this latest one anyhow.

No, those are abstract arguments with a million vantage points to look at and rationalize them. Shadow of Mordor's proprietary Nemesis system could not run on PS3 but Sid Meier's Pirates is a 25+ year old open world action game filled with characters, all of which you could engage in your own procedurally generated narratives.

Half-Life 2 is not a current generation title and you completely glossed over the numerous, inarguably opinion-based positions which Planet attacked.

You said none of his arguments are Facts. I pointed out the ones that are. I didn't see the need to go over all of them. (as I don't have time at the moment).

Half-Life 2 is an example of how more power did enable developers to do something new. Which is why I brought it up.

Shadows of Mordor was the GOTY 2014 for many people. The thing people most liked about it was the Nemesis system. It was on the PS4/One. Not the PS3/360. We can argue until we are blue in the face but that's the reality. If you didn't get it on a PS4/One, you didn't get the Nemesis system.

RoKKeR

They are. If you don't really care about graphical fidelity/framereate/etc. Why not just go back and play the PS3 version you already own? Why buy a new version that is better looking?

To play it on the console that you are using on a day-to-day basis? To get the platinums, something he clearly stated he was excited about doing? I don't beg Colin as the kind of guy who would get excited for a remaster just because it's a graphical update.

jacobeid

Banned
An episode of HUBER SYNDROME in the Kinda Funny studio and all the guys just sit in the background and watch him work lol

I'm picturing this scenario as an animated scene in the studio where Huber is a little dog jumping up and down all excitedly and Colin is the cat watching the dog in disgust. Greg is another dog (Portillo, obviously) and is neither pleased nor disgusted, simply confused that another dog can match his energy levels.

To play it on the console that you are using on a day-to-day basis? To get the platinums, something he clearly stated he was excited about doing? I don't beg Colin as the kind of guy who would get excited for a remaster just because it's a graphical update.

But they specifically talked about how much better it runs. And they've also mentioned how they would love a Mass Effect remaster to be able play it in 1080 P.

Curufinwe

You'd think "new PS4 with better graphics" wouldn't be that hard to understand, but here we are.

You know iPhones ?

PS4 is a 6 and Pro is a 6s.

564079.jpg

I'm picturing this scenario as an animated scene in the studio where Huber is a little dog jumping up and down all excitedly and Colin is the cat watching the dog in disgust. Greg is another dog (Portillo, obviously) and is neither pleased nor disgusted, simply confused that another dog can match his energy levels.

Just tweeted at KF, Greg and Tim to bring Huber on to the GOG Show and Gamescast! Maybe if more people do it we can make something happen!

I think the reaction on both sides is the result of us (the enthusiast press, gaming enthusiasts in general) making the Pro itself a bigger deal than it actually is.

The Pro marks the shift from Sony's part to a more uniform platform that will iterate rather than toss everything out and having all developers start over. Yes, this sounds like a tectonic shift in the fundamentals of console gaming, but the first step that Sony has taken is an extremely minor, baby step here. Sony's very obviously not putting pressure on any OG PS4 owners to get this thing. They're not rushing anyone to go out and buy a Pro if they already have a PS4. The Pro is almost entirely an internal change on Sony's part, more about the developer side of things than about the consumer.

If we can say Sony screwed up something, it's that they had a "Meeting" at all with a stage presentation and demo reel livestreamed for all to see. We've sat through enough of these to expect a certain level of "this is why you need to buy this". I can say Sony mistakenly set the expectation that we were going to get a "this is why you need to buy this", but fundamentally that's not what Sony's doing with the Pro. On the publisher/developer side this is huge. For the layman it means almost nothing. Some marginal upgardes, nothing next-gen leap worthy, maybe you want to upgrade, maybe you don't, you won't miss out on anything if you don't, you won't get new modes/content if you do, it's all low pressure. But since this entire time we've been on this whole "THIS IS A PARADIGM SHIFT IN THE INDUSTRY!!" mode the baby step we did end up getting, inevitably some people felt disappointed.

This is why you are missing Collins arguement.

PS4 Pro is an iteration of the PS4. It will play the same games, but run/look better.

Scorpio WILL be the next gen Xbox. He believe (as do I) that MS is ditching the Xbox one, it is carrying far too much baggage and always will. It is only a matter of time before the Xbox one support is dropped completely. They did it to the OG Xbox and they can do it again.

Xbox S + Playstation Pro, play the same games as their namesake's, just better.

Scorpio will be a completely new platform.

That is the difference.

If that is really the strategy, they didn't even need to bother making the One S. Anyway that's just speculation and shouldn't even be used in an argument. Please stick with the facts and there are very few regarding Scorpio. All we've seen about Scorpio is a 30 second video with some devs talking and a chip with 4k printed on it. That was some of the laziest advertising I've ever seen yet Colin and some other members of the media are praising that delivery. Furthermore, the Scorpio will have the same issues as PS4 Pro when it launches. Just like the PS4 Pro, the Scorpio will require a 4k HDR television to get the most benefit out of it. Using Colin's own statistics from the video, 4kTV adoption will still be pretty low even in 2017. MS is going to have to convince people with 1080p televisions that the upgrade is worth it. By Phil Spencer's own comments, he doesn't really think people with 1080p TVs need Scorpio and should just get the Xbox One S. The Scorpio isn't going to be advertised as a product for everyone and neither is the PS4 Pro. You have an Xbox One S and PS4 Slim as alternatives. The only thing that can be argued in favor of the Scorpio is that it's supposed to be more powerful, but like Colin said, historically the most powerful system has never been the most successful. It's all going to come down to quality and quantity of software. Playstation still has the advantage.

Lindsaymv

I'm picturing it starting out with just Greg and Huber sitting there running through the news in the studio but gradually they start amping each other up until the hype levels are just way too much and we can't even follow the conversation because they're off on crazy tangents, vibing with each other so hard. CUT TO a secret room behind the Kinda Funny screen/back wall where Colin and Brandon are monitoring the situation intently. There's knobs and dials ALL THE WAY in the red, smoke coming out of the control console.
"My god, there's two of them" says Colin. Brandon pats Colin on the back and gives him a sad, resigned smile.
"It's just like I thought" he says solemnly. They sigh, take one last look at the manic, smiling faces of their old friends and then hit the button to start pumping poison gas into the studio.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Edit : Damn auto correct
Scorpio is absolutely not a new platform

Microsoft calls it part of the Xbox One family

All the games run on both.

All the accessories run on both

The only exclusive games you may see on Scorpio are Occulus/Vive VR titles and that's because MS chose not to do their own R and D on a VR headset like Sony. And even then, unlike with Playstation VR, you won't get any exclusive games that can't be played on PC.

It is also highly likely Scorpio will also have a Jaguar CPU and a Polaris GPU, only faster and with more CUs than the PS4 Pro, perhaps.

Again, per Microsoft, Scorpio is an Xbox One. It is literally a Microsoft version of the Playstation PS4 Pro, only faster, coming to market later and possibly more expensive.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm picturing it starting out with just Greg and Huber sitting there running through the news in the studio but gradually they start amping each other up until the hype levels are just way too much and we can't even follow the conversation because they're off on crazy tangents, vibing with each other so hard. CUT TO a secret room behind the Kinda Funny screen/back wall where Colin and Brandon are monitoring the situation intently. There's knobs and dials ALL THE WAY in the red, smoke coming out of the control console.
"My god, there's two of them" says Colin. Brandon pats Colin on the back and gives him a sad, resigned smile.
"It's just like I thought" he says solemnly. They sigh, take one last look at the manic, smiling faces of their old friends and then hit the button to start pumping poison gas into the studio.

THREAD REDEEMED.

Liamc723

Not only is that a shitty thing to say, it's also plainly wrong. Colin is clearly either their biggest draw, or second to Greg.

I agree that he overreacted here a bit given that several responses were quite measured and polite, but that's not really a reason to just tear into someone.

Greg is quite clearly their biggest draw.

It's not wrong at all, it's my opinion. I'm really, really not a fan of the guy and him being "disappointed" in us all despite all the great posts pointing out his incorrect comments was shitty too.

LordofPwn

All of that takes processing power, nothing more. It could all be done internally but that would reduce the amount of resources available to make the games. That's why it exists, not because it has specialized hardware inside that the PS4 doesn't.

the breakout box isn't accessible to the developers. it has special hardware inside. all of that special hardware could be put into a box with the other PS4 stuff, that increases costs for that PS4 though.

krae_man

the breakout box isn't accessible to the developers. it has special hardware inside. all of that special hardware could be put into a box with the other PS4 stuff, that increases costs for that PS4 though.

No it doesn't have anything special inside.

Sony is just walking a tight line. The PS4 didn't have the processing power to do with VR what they wanted it to do so they needed to add external power, but they didn't want to make a 32x like add on either.

So they are restricting what they will let be offloaded to it.

It's still just a box with extra RAM and CPU cycles and nothing more.

Also what's the difference between off loading tasks to it freeing up PS4 resources and having it freely accessible to devs? Hair splitting and the inability to forgo the second screen experience to use the processing power that would take up. That's it.

Regarding the recent episode, I think Colin made some fair points, and it was great hearing Goldfarb on the show. I did think the PS meeting was poorly done, but it sounds like the impact of PS4 Pro really needs to be seen in person to understand. I think Colin is speaking from a perspective of not having seen in person the benefits of 4K or HDR with respect to PS4 games, and that perhaps negatively impacts his overall opinion of the matter. I've also not see 4K/HDR gaming, but the many hand-on reports seem to indicate it can be quite breathtaking.

I'd love for Colin and Greg to have someone on the show who went to the event and got hands on and in person impressions, which would offer a better informed perspective. While Mark Cerny tried to show and describe the visual benefits, but this is also something that may be hard to describe in words or on screens that are capable of properly displaying the content.

I'd also disagree with Colin on his general stance on the importance of graphics. While I don't think there's many games today that couldn't be engineered to work on last gen consoles, I do think improved graphical fidelity is a selling point. Video games is a visual medium, and when those visuals are enhanced/improved, it can make for a more enjoyable experience.

Just tweeted at KF, Greg and Tim to bring Huber on to the GOG Show and Gamescast! Maybe if more people do it we can make something happen!

I use to watch/listen to GT content, and I listen to Easy Allies podcast currently; while I respect what EZA crew has done, I'm not a fan of Huber as a video/podcast personality - a KF/Huber would be a collaboration I'd be more than ok with not happening. I think Brandon Jones did a fine job with KF, and there's maybe one or two others that I would enjoy from EZA, I'm just not a fan of Huber (specifically regarding video/podcast commentary).

That would be incredible, I'd be all:

AjTMECA.gif

That reminds me, as much as I love Giant Bomb (and being a member of its community thread on NeoGAF, with many wonderful posters), I am so embarrassed when people (that I know are regular Giant Bomb thread posters) come into the Easy Allies thread and hate on Michael. It all goes back to E3 2015 when the guys were still at GT and how they reacted to the TLG/FFVII/Shenmue 3 stuff. It's fine when you do it outside of the official community thread, but don't look to start trouble. I often feel like I'm one of the few that likes both the exuberance of EZA and the bite of GB. As for Huber on KF, I'd love that. Though, I'd prefer to see Bosman next (Jones has been a great guest the two times he's been there).

Yeah, that's when I started just avoiding everything GB in general. It's all far too cynical for me.
I don't know how Kyle would do on Kinda Funny, might be kind of awkward since he's clearly not a KF fan. Huber or Brad would be cool though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Actually I need someone to sit me down for this one too, I haven't quite figured out what's so hype about For Honour yet but I fully trust the Easy Allies. More crossover between the two would be hype, Brandon last week was cool but I want more.

It sounds like something you need to demo as the combat system sounds like what makes it unique as has some people hyped (why have you forsaken us with your closed alpha ubisoft?!)

Otherwise, if you just looked at the game itself you would just think its a prettier Dynasty Warriors/Musuo game.

Yeah, that's when I started just avoiding everything GB in general. It's all far too cynical for me.
I don't know how Kyle would do on Kinda Funny, might be kind of awkward since he's clearly not a KF fan. Huber or Brad would be cool though.

Tim is fan. I think Greg was the only one that got mad about Kyle's Final Bossman segment that referenced KF lol

Lindsaymv

Oh Kyle's not a fan? I can kind of imagine that. Oh well, Brad would be amazing.
That's right.

br3wnor

Awesome, so a community thread about a podcast where the show's hosts would actually read and post in has been compromised because people melted down over PS4 Pro 'misinformation'. Good job guys.

GAF is far and away the best large-scale internet community I've ever been a part of but sometimes people really need to get over themselves. Yes there were constructive posts in here critiquing what Colin said, but there were way too many personal attacks and general shit-posting about the 'downfall of PSILY' that gave enough of a reason for Colin to say that it's not worth his time to engage here.

Moneal

Awesome, so a community thread about a podcast where the show's hosts would actually read and post in has been compromised because people melted down over PS4 Pro 'misinformation'. Good job guys.

GAF is far and away the best large-scale internet community I've ever been a part of but sometimes people really need to get over themselves. Yes there were constructive posts in here critiquing what Colin said, but there were way too many personal attacks and general shit-posting about the 'downfall of PSILY' that gave enough of a reason for Colin to say that it's not worth his time to engage here.

Please point out those personal attacks and shit posts between colin's post asking for timestamps and his meltdown post.

br3wnor

Please point out those personal attacks and shit posts between colin's post asking for timestamps and his meltdown post.

You know what, you have a valid point here. After I actually combed through the replies [between Colin's 2 posts], most of them were level headed, valid criticisms and only a few got into name calling or personal attacks.

My bad for over-reacting, I take back what I said.

***I'm still sad we seemingly lost Colin from the thread though, and before he originally posted there was a decent amount of shit posting going on.

Exactly, the vast majority of posts (even before that) were civil and well written but some people seem intent on painting more posts as attacks then there was.

If someone can't handle the positive/attack ratio that was on display here then I don't know how they ever interact with people online as it's only ever going to be much worse.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't know, I won't dive in deep but I'll just write a quick thing. Colin asked us to delve into what he said and give examples. I think I was the one mentioned with the time stamps before his second post, but I feel like even without the time stamps, everyone was giving valid points. There were a couple of unnecessary hits on him, but nothing major. Now he's writing off the forum and this thread in general instead of actively engaging with those of us that actually tried. It kind of comes off that he can't accept his opinion to be wrong or ill-informed, and rather blanket those that frequent here as a hivemind with pitchforks.

I don't like what that says about having a conversation with your audience.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's colin's prerogative to not want to participate in this thread anymore

But him saying posts on here are on the same quality level as the twitter hot-takes/drive-bys/trolling I'm sure he gets on the daily? The gaffers challenging his opinions and knowledge on a subject were not personal attacks. He's also free to block specific gaf posters that he thinks are crossing that line just like he blocks people on twitter.

He basically said "show me the receipts". Some people showed him some. His response was "gaf is mean" and left. Its a big odd since the way gaf responded to him is often how HE responds to people when he thinks they are wrong about something. Most recent example off the top of my head being his argument with Tim and Andrea on KF Reacts to PS4 slim.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Exactly, the vast majority of posts (even before that) were civil and well written but some people seem intent on painting more posts as attacks then there was.

If someone can't handle the positive/attack ratio that was on display here then I don't know how they ever interact with people online as it's only ever going to email worse.

Exacly, the actual shit-posting that Colin was claiming only really started after his 2nd post, which itself could be considered a shit-post. It's a shame this thread turned out the way it did, I'm a fan of Colin, but he's as much to blame here as anyone.

pelican

Didn't realise GAF was suppose to massage egos and bolster insecurities.

Personal attacks? No. Vocal disagreement? Yes. Host meltdown? Yes.

People are well within their rights not to like PSILY and soapbox rants. Personal choice.

Qwark

People keep saying meltdown, did I miss something? He left frustrated and didn't really address anything. I'm not defending his actions, but I don't equate a fit with a meltdown. Unless, the meltdown happened on a podcast or something else that I missed.

I think the whole Kyle is not a fan thing was overblown. He was simply making a joke about the Kinda Funny name in a Final Bosman skit. Somehow it got out of context and was brought up on a Gamescast on Kinda Funny. Other then Brandon, Kyle was the only one who discussed the Kinda Funny studio on the recent Patreon Q&A when a question about it was brought up.

I think the whole Kyle is not a fan thing was overblown. He was simply making a joke about the Kinda Funny name in a Final Bosman skit. Somehow it got out of context and was brought up on a Gamescast on Kinda Funny. Other then Brandon, Kyle was the only one who discussed the Kinda Funny studio on the recent Patreon Q&A when a question about it was brought up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlNU5fBFgJU
1:25:30 - I just happened to be listening to that podcast and was at that part while reading this post. I love that Kinda Funny and EZA have such a good relationship with one another. I feel their audiences overlap or, at the very least, are very similar. I'd love to see Huber, Bosman, Ben, whoever appear on Kinda Funny, but it would also be cool to see Greg or Colin crash an EZA podcast.

I believe Brandon also praises their new studio in his latest Cup of Jones episode.

What were we talking about?

Mokubba

Sony is just walking a tight line. The PS4 didn't have the processing power to do with VR what they wanted it to do so they needed to add external power, but they didn't want to make a 32x like add on either.

Also what's the difference between off loading tasks to it freeing up PS4 resources and having it freely accessible to devs? Hair splitting and the inability to forgo the second screen experience to use the processing power that would take up. That's it.

Source on all this?

LifEndz

Do you have a gaming focused podcast or youtube show? You should. This stuff right here is gold!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the episode and I pretty much agree with Colin 100%. I'll leave it at that.

Top Bottom