• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Colin is definitely allowed to withdraw himself from environments that are becoming harmful to him. I can't imagine what it's like to have everything you do constantly scrutinized and picked apart, and then being bombarded by people who have a bone to pick with things that you've said. It's gotta be tough. Especially when it's peppered with personal insults. Even more so if you're going through some other stuff in your life and what was white noise becomes something that darkens your mood further.

He badly needs to step up his game though, the whole Pro on par with Xbone S thing is so factually off-base that its laughable. You can't present it as legitimate argument, especially when it backs onto saying how amaze-balls Scorpio is going to be.

Does he really think that what amounts to an embedded MS informercial segment is going to sit well on an ostensibly PS focused podcast?

He dug the hole himself 2 weeks in a row. I agree it was a no win situation. I guess it was easier for him to take the ball and go home than admit factual inaccuracy in his comments? Who is looking forward to next podcast?
It depends. We will see how the GamesCast goes this week.

Or gameovergreggy show.

Jmille99

Colin is definitely allowed to withdraw himself from environments that are becoming harmful to him. I can't imagine what it's like to have everything you do constantly scrutinized and picked apart, and then being bombarded by people who have a bone to pick with things that you've said. It's gotta be tough. Especially when it's peppered with personal insults. Even more so if you're going through some other stuff in your life and what was white noise becomes something that darkens your mood further.

With that being said, people should and must have the ability to provide negative feedback on any content. Personal attacks should obviously be set aside, but the ability to point out things that you disagree with is vital to good discussions in a community and, frankly, vital to someone who has a public role on the internet with a dedicated fanbase. Colin is not obligated to engage with this thread or with anyone on GAF or elsewhere, but as a co-founder of a successful and thriving internet company, I would hope he will come back at some point and be able to thoughtfully address criticism. I would hope he could ignore the potshots and address thoughtful fans who had genuinely held differences. I would hope he would be able to see that just because people passionately disagree with his video game opinions, that doesn't mean they hate him or are impugning him personally. I would hope Colin knows that taking in feedback from everywhere is a valuable asset for him and his company.

So yeah, I hope he's ducking out for an indeterminate time before rejoining us. But I understand if he doesn't want to, even though I think that's unwise.

Agreed. I dont pretend to understand being in a position like his in front of the limelight where everything you do and say is held up to scrutiny. Im sure its difficult and I give him props for dealing with it as long as he has, especially knowing some of the hate that can come over anonymous social places like forums or Twitter.

I think my main gripe is how supposed conversations are one way, unless you agree with him. People made very good comments about the past two shows, and instead of being engaging to his fanbase, he runs and hides as if people here are out for blood; though I would argue there was never any indication for that.

Its just really telling that as someone who takes so much pride in what he does, and will sing his own praises for how critical he can be towards Sony, isnt willing to receive any constructive informative criticism himself. He blows it off in favor of cherry picking posts he doesnt like to sweep everything under the rug. Example: he asked for timestamps and even mentioned in his second post he saw someone do it. He didnt actually address anything about it, just recognized it happened and moved on to focus on something more negative and get out of a conversation.

I guess its disappointing really. I like to think we listen or watch their shows because we are fans, the same fans they so graciously meet and talk to at any live events. I guess when it comes to online interactions though, less fucks are given.

Regardless of what comes out of this, its one talking point I disagree with. The Pro isnt for me and Im not going to get one, but I know and have seen people who it is for. They do exist. Their thoughts matter and Sony is putting out a product for them. Until it starts showing negative affects on my OG PS4 experiences, why should I (or anyone else for that matter) care? Ill keep listening to their show, Ill still enjoy it for all the rights and wrongs. I enjoy how they bounce off each other and the conversations/critiques they have. This talking point isnt going to sway me. But man if this hit-and-run approach from Colin wasnt disappointing.

imBask

Banned
The fact that this conversation has been going on for the last 15 pages says enough to justify him just giving up on this thread. The dog piling and holier-than-thou attitude is ridiculous

you think he's wrong and that his argument wasn't very well informed and that's fine, I agree with him on some points and I agree with you guys on some points. Though normal people would've moved on 12 pages back, this thread is worse than any political thread right now

Curufinwe

He gave up on actually replying to any of the legitimate criticism long ago because he has no way to rebut the arguments.

He badly needs to step up his game though, the whole Pro on par with Xbone S thing is so factually off-base that its laughable. You can't present it as legitimate argument, especially when it backs onto saying how amaze-balls Scorpio is going to be.

Does he really think that what amounts to an embedded MS informercial segment is going to sit well on an ostensibly PS focused podcast?

That type of fud wouldn't sit well on a regular podcast, either.

Cudder

The fact that this conversation has been going on for the last 15 pages says enough to justify him just giving up on this thread. The dog piling and holier-than-thou attitude is ridiculous

you think he's wrong and that his argument wasn't very well informed and that's fine, I agree with him on some points and I agree with you guys on some points. Though normal people would've moved on 12 pages back, this thread is worst than any political thread right now

What's there to "move on" from? This thread is about PSILY, and everyone's discussing the latest episode. Don't see the issue here.

imBask

Banned
What's there to "move on" from? This thread is about PSILY, and everyone's discussing the latest episode. Don't see the issue here.

That was 2 episodes ago

And the latest episode wasn't about Colin. It was about the Pro, the horrible management of the first party games and the return of arrogant sony

how about that rant on Playstation delaying every first party and dropping the ball every fall, they both made good points and I mostly agreed with them

I think the "issue" is that I have never seen this thread get more than one or two pages of movement per week when an episode dropped, and I have been every week, heck go look at the post count if you need proof. Now all of a sudden, there are 15 pages of just fuelled hatred or arguments against Collin or each other. Where were all these posts a month ago when discussion were peaceful and everyone was just here for fun?

Cudder

I think the "issue" is that I have never seen this thread get more than one or two pages of movement per week when an episode dropped, and I have been every week, heck go look at the post count if you need proof. Now all of a sudden, there are 15 pages of just fuelled hatred or arguments against Collin or each other. Where were all these posts a month ago when discussion were peaceful and everyone was just here for fun?

So? Is there some arbitrary rule that says a discussion on an episode can only last so long? 15 pages of fuelled hate? Sure, whatever you say. Colin asked for people to point out the arguments and flaws/misinformation in this episode so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Cudder

That was 2 episodes ago

And the latest episode wasn't about Colin. It was about the Pro, the horrible management of the first party games and the return of arrogant sony

how about that rant on Playstation delaying every first party and dropping the ball every fall, they both made good points and I mostly agreed with them

Why would there be a rant in this thread about that? Objectively, yes, Sony has been terrible with handling their first party releases. Why would anyone argue that? The whole point of arguing about the Pro and Colin's stance is because there are faults in his argument. Hence, all of the discussion about it.

So? Is there some arbitrary rule that says a discussion on an episode can only last so long? 15 pages of fuelled hate? Sure, whatever you say. Colin asked for people to point out the arguments and flaws/misinformation in this episode so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Sigh. You did not get what I was posting and idk why you are attacking me.

Anyway I'm out. Sorry EdReedFan, we had good discussions, but I'm not here for this lol.

Thread is all yours guys.

I honestly think part of it (at least for me) is that Colin is a very intelligent person. He's usually very well informed on matters that he takes a strong stance on. In this case, he seems to be taking a strong stance on something that he doesn't quite fully grasp. It's more of an emotional stance than one backed up with factual information. Just my two cents.

Love Kinda Funny and will always support those guys.

Poor Colin. It must be hard making $24K a month to talk about video games and having to occasionally respond to people on the internet disagreeing with you. I don't think I could do it.

Liamc723

What is he "factually" wrong about? Please list them. No time codes are necessary.

How can you say that when you've been posting in here over the past few days while these excellent posts have already been made? They detail where he goes wrong very well.

I'll take a stab at this. I'm on mobile, so I unfortunately can't do time stamps. Instead of trying to cite specific examples, I'll try and give you an overall impression of how your perspective is disconnected.

1. You guys continue to spout this rhetoric that PlayStation Pro is a marginal upgrade- while Scorpio is a "giant leap forward". The reality is: the power difference between PlayStation Pro and Scorpio is roughly the same difference between PS4 and Xbox One. This argument undermines and twists reality and unfortunately continues this mistaken belief that Scorpio is somehow this "Beast" - while PlayStation Pro is going to fall apart at the seams. The two machine are much closer than you realize and unfortunately the press has run away with this ill-informed tales of 4 versus 6, without taking into account that percentage wise the gap is pretty much identical to what we have now.

The real question I'd ask is: Is Scorpio powerful enough to adequately distinguish itself graphically from PlayStation Pro? The higher in resolution you go, the smaller the differences become. I honestly expected more out of the conversation.

2. You guys continue to insinuate that 1080p users will only see "marginal" improvements. This couldn't be further from the truth. One of the poorest communicated (by Sony) messages at the PS Pro Meeting was just how substantial the upgrades to 1080p would be.

Here's one example: 1080p users will get a super-sampled image- which without going into a technobabble - is probably the holy grail when it comes to improve the actual image quality. If you can hunt down a gaming PC, I want you to boot up GTA V on a 1080p set. Play the game in native 1080p and than super sample it from 1600p. That's the type of jump PS4 Pro will get you, and it's quite impressive.

We also haven't touched on improved effects, higher quality post processing, fewer framedrops etc. etc. etc. The point is - the 1080p user will get a 1080p game that is polished to a shine that only PC gamers have been able to appreciate to this day.

3. This isn't a dig at your fundamentals or passions, but it would be nice if you brushed up on technical specs. Like- did you know: The PS4 Pro has hardware dedicated on the GPU to help reduce the artifacts from their checkerboard rendering method? This might sound alien- but it's a 15-20 minute video away from all of us wanting to give Mark Cerny a high five.

I implore you to download the gamersyde video of Horizon: Zero Dawn running in uncompressed quality and play it back on a 4K monitor or hell even watch the 1080p "high bit rate" stream. The jump in quality from the original PS4 is quite substantial.

5. Please stop casting this shadow that PlayStation gamers can't be "graphics enthusiasts". Sony's first party puts out the best looking, tehcnically proficient games and hires the most talented programmers in the business. It's a testament to just how strong Sony believes in visuals when they quite literally set the benchmark for fidelity on aging hardware when PC's that magnitudes more powerful don't even get those games.

When I did QA at Nintendo 6 years ago, we had this small minority of PS3 heads (pre-Slim) that were massive graphics afficianados and could articulate just how complex and incredible the minutia of what Naughty Dog in Uncharted 1 or Insomniac in Resistance 1 (the glass breaking anyone :) ) were pulling off. Gameplay trumps graphics, but some of us value both, and value graphics a lot. I say this as a dual PC / Console gamer. I'm not reaching when I say this: the best looking games are on PlayStation.

I love what you guys do - I just want you to give PS4 Pro a fair shake. Thanks for listening, and I'll continue the support. P.S. sorry for typos, I'm on mobile.

Here you are:
  • 00:08:25 - Please try the other way around for a change! Find me a game that is anything like The Witcher 3 on PS2! You keep saying "we had open world role playing games", but what specifically are you talking about? I found nothing remotely similar on PS2 - PS3, sure, fine.
  • 00:12:50 - We don't really know anything substantial about the Scorpio. There are 2 numbers that don't really make it leaps and bounds better than PS4 Pro, everything else is vague promises by Microsoft and hopeful speculation based on it. With the given 43% increased computational power, I can't really see Scorpio render 2 times the pixels without any tricks.

And most of all: Microsoft themselves said they will do exactly the same as Sony does, keeping the Scorpio and One as one family with full compatibility up and down. So there goes your argument that this will do anything substantial for gameplay. How could it do that without leaving the One behind? You are speculating it will, but that again is not what's on the table right now. Scorpio always gets the benefit of doubt from you in a direction that it will do everything right.
  • 00:25:00 - HDMI, component, composite or whatever? Do you have people coming to your home connecting the PS4 to your TV that you don't seem to know what it uses?
  • 00:26:00 - Goldfarb said that the only thing that would make the Pro relevant for VR would be if "a twenty hour experience requires extra processing power", and you agreed. That is so utterly wrong on multiple levels!
    1. It directly contradicts the promise that PS4 regular and Pro will be one family and you can play everything on both.
    2. What does the length of the experience have to do with how demanding it is for the hardware?
    3. Why is it suddenly not possible to scale back and have the same gameplay experience? You are contradicting yourself here!
    4. The Pro will enhance all VR titles with at least applying supersampling, which is extremely beneficial for VR.
    5. You still don't seem to get what the breakout box does. For starters, if it was integrated into the Pro, you'd have much shorter cables. But what you said about a cheaper unit and "the processing box" was inconclusive, because you didn't finish any sentence in that short part, so it is hard to judge what you really think, but it didn't sound like you know it does audio calculations and signal routing / straightening out for tv, nothing more.
  • 00:27:30 - The Pro being closer to the One S than Scorpio is just embarrassing to listen to. It strengthens my feeling that you both don't really get how the Pro renders 4K images (in a way) and think it is basically the same as what the One S does. Please educate yourselves, it does far better!
  • 00:35:30 - Simply no, it would not be better if Sony split the user base and allowed Pro only games. They don't even allow Pro only features, and that is the exact thing keeping this one generation and not a super early successor.
  • 00:42:00 - Funny how you can at length complain how Sony fucks up first party games releases, then later on happily nod when Goldfarb says Sony didn't make a single mistake this generation (until the Pro).
  • 01:21:10 - Even more funny how after a very lengthy discussion of how unimportant graphics are compared to gameplay, Goldfarb gets dreamy-eyed about how much better Bioshock Remastered looks. He didn't talk at all about the performance (which is clearly better, huzzah), he explicitly talked visuals. And again, not the slightest bit of downplaying the importance of that from your side, Colin. Putting down money for improved visuals on a game you already own suddenly is a good thing again - how selective of you!
If I screwed up a sentence or two, please excuse, this length of text is hard to compose on a mobile, I don't have a computer available here right now. I will correct it if I see it.

Edit: ah, looks like I was too slow and he won't be reading it. Well, too bad. I did it first thing in the morning of my time.

Curufinwe

That was 2 episodes ago

So arrogant of Sony to release a more powerful version of the PS4 at the outrageous price of $400. The market will surely punish them for their hubris.

Cyriades

That's the vibe I got from him "holier-than-thou attitude"... specifically when he's not willing to listen.. yeah, a few members hurt your feelings... Has he every been on Gaf?! I get called out here all the time lol

This what makes gaf GAF the #1 gaming forum! you will get called out on your bullshit

But you have to realize its just one guys uninformed opinion. Any dude here can do a Podcast but that doesn't automatically make you knowledgeable about all things gaming. It just makes you influential.. which is scary when you're uninformed and speaking from gut feelings.

phanphare

Banned
shame people had to get all personal and inflammatory, I enjoyed whenever colin would post in here

there's disagreeing and then there's what happened in here. not everyone is at fault of course, there were a lot of constructive posts but a few stinkers had to ruin it for everyone

sajj316

Here's an idea for Kinda Funny .. next podcast ... select two representatives from NeoGAF in a dialogue with Collin about the Pro and other discussions points generated by the past two PS, I Love You(s). You've read through the comments Collin. You know who's being constructive and who's being destructive.

Bolivar687

Banned
I see we've reached the point in the thread where we pretend like we did nothing wrong, even as the sarcasm and cheap shots keep coming.

9jVBS8j.png

How can you say that when you've been posting in here over the past few days while these excellent posts have already been made? They detail where he goes wrong very well.

We've been through this. Thuway's entire post is about whether Colin is allowed to believe the Pro is a marginal improvement or not, which is, by definition, an opinion (and not something I'm sure Colin is even disputing in the first place). Planet's post treads the same water in the first half and the second is explicitly and completely opinion-based.

Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true, it only suggests you guys might not actually understand what a fact is.

We've been through this. Thuway's entire post is about whether Colin is allowed to believe the Pro is a marginal improvement or not, which is, by definition, an opinion (and not something I'm sure Colin is even disputing in the first place). Planet's post treads the same water in the first half and the second is explicitly and completely opinion-based.

How do these things constitute "cheap shots", "personal attacks", and "toxic cesspit"?

Also, you know, opinion can in fact be wrong.

Planet

So the first half of my list is about opinion, while the other half is explicitly about opinion? :D

When you state as a fact that we had the same games on PS2, while it isn't true, that doesn't count as opinion in my book. And even when it is undoubtedly purely about opinion, like the last two, I still think I am allowed to point out when those contradict what they themselves said an hour earlier.

Liamc723

I see we've reached the point in the thread where we pretend like we did nothing wrong, even as the sarcasm and cheap shots keep coming.

9jVBS8j.png

It's not our fault that Colin is quite simply, wrong.

shame people had to get all personal and inflammatory, I enjoyed whenever colin would post in here

there's disagreeing and then there's what happened in here. not everyone is at fault of course, there were a lot of constructive posts but a few stinkers had to ruin it for everyone

Barely anyone did. I wish some of you would stop spreading that nonsense. If feels like many of you read someone saying something similar, then run to post that people were being personal and inflammatory.

I read those posts. Almost every post began with saying he had the right not to like the pro or mid-gen refreshes, but he should at least have some idea on a technical level of the differences in specs between the Xbox one S and the Pro. There are teenagers who can tell you the differences in power, it isn't something that requires in-depth research. The standard PS4 is more powerful for goodness sakes. He made a silly comparison and got called out on it.

Stop spreading that narrative that he was being attacked by a majority of people.

9jVBS8j.png

Repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true, it only suggests you guys might not actually understand what a fact is.

The majority didn't do anything wrong. No one here is expected to kiss anyone's ass to keep them around. Those tweets don't prove anything other than Colin being a thin-skinned individual.

sh1fty

Colin seems like a pretty self-conscious guy (which I'm sure a lot of us have dealt with too and understand). I could be wrong, but it's just the vibe I get from having listened to him for years (I know he has admitted to battling social anxiety). Maybe he's 'bugged' much more by the posts here that aren't insulting and are actually calling him out on an intellectual level?

The dude has been in the industry and public spotlight for a while now... He's had to deal with IGN comment sections (yikes!) and random twitter messages. I don't think petty or rude insults get to him.

He's well within his right to choose not to engage with us anymore, but hopefully that doesn't stop us from having healthy discussions providing feedback for them in hopes that they do hear it and it helps improve their content.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Barely anyone did. I wish some of you would stop spreading that nonsense. If feels like many of you read someone saying something similar, then run to post that people were being personal and inflammatory.
Bananariders are going to bananaride.

I read those posts. Almost every post began with saying he had the right not to like the pro or mid-gen refreshes, but he should at least have some idea on a technical level of the differences in specs between the Xbox one S and the Pro. There are teenagers who can tell you the differences in power, it isn't something that requires in-depth research. The standard PS4 is more powerful for goodness sakes. He made a silly comparison and got called out on it.

Stop spreading that narrative that he was being attacked by a majority of people.

The majority didn't do anything wrong. No one here is expected to kiss anyone's ass to keep them around. Those tweets don't prove anything other than Colin being a thin-skinned individual.
Yep.

I haven't been following all of this but I am tempted to actually go through and pick out these so called awful and inflammatory posts. I have a very good feeling the vast majority was constructive.

Curufinwe

Colin seems like a pretty self-conscious guy (which I'm sure a lot of us have dealt with too and understand). I could be wrong, but it's just the vibe I get from having listened to him for years (I know he has admitted to battling social anxiety). Maybe he's 'bugged' much more by the posts here that aren't insulting and are actually calling him out on an intellectual level?

He's running for cover because he has no comeback to the thorough dismantling of his ignorant, hypocritical arguments.

MisterMac

This means the next episode of the podcast won't be worth listening to because the first 35 minutes will be defending the last one and complaining about this thread

I love this forum so much sometimes <3

I'm not sure what your point is. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that does not mean that said opinion needs to go unchallenged. And really, that goes doubly so when speaking about people whose opinions influences hundreds if not thousands. Surely you can see that?

I love this forum so much sometimes <3

I've never refuted his opinion on whether the pro is necessary. My one and only beef is him not understanding the objective power difference between one console to another.

You know, as someone who enjoys multiple consoles, it's bad enough dealing with fanboys on Xb or PS based threads anytime you voice a complaint, now I've gotta deal with snarky ones for podcast hosts too? I'm not saying anything all that out there if we're being honest.

The weird thing is no one is bashing him for his opinion really. Mainly just correcting him on facts he has incorrect.

Exactly! So many people who voiced opinions outright said they didn't mind him not liking the pro, but that he should at least know the power difference.

Purest 78

9jVBS8j.png

Please show me These so called disrespectful Post in this thread. He's either ignorant on the topic or purposely obtuse.

I'm not sure what your point is. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that does not mean that said opinion needs to go unchallenged. And really, that goes doubly so when speaking about people whose opinions influences hundreds if not thousands. Surely you can see that?

The weird thing is no one is bashing him for his opinion really. Mainly just correcting him on facts he has incorrect.

mdubs

Banned

you think he's wrong and that his argument wasn't very well informed and that's fine, I agree with him on some points and I agree with you guys on some points. Though normal people would've moved on 12 pages back, this thread is worse than any political thread right now

Pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

phanphare

Banned

so we're in agreement then? take a closer look at my post, I'll bold the important part for you

"a lot of constructive posts"

"a few stinkers"

yet you accuse me of pushing a narrative that "he was being attacked by a majority of people" even though that directly contradicts with what I posted

c'mon man lol

so we're in agreement then? take a closer look at my post, I'll bold the important part for you

"a lot of constructive posts"

"a few stinkers"

yet you accuse me of pushing a narrative that "he was being attacked by a majority of people" even though that directly contradicts with what I posted

c'mon man lol

There's no "c'mon". Your initial statement said enough. You started out saying something silly, I called that part out specifically. No one was really being all that inflammatory. Be honest, did you even read the posts then or did you make an assumption based on what someone else said?

I found one!

That would be a poor example at best.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Please show me These so called disrespectful Post in this thread. He's either ignorant on the topic or purposely obtuse.

Tbf, there were a few that kinda crossed the line, but it wasn't until after his second post, which itself was a bit petulant.

mdubs

Banned

I found one!

To be clear, the reason I highlight this is because you added in a personal shot to end off your statement instead of leaving it at "Please show me these disrespectful posts". If we are trying combat his perception that there doesn't have any undercurrent of disrespect to it this probably isn't the way to do it. It's one thing to call him out on his responses given that many of the posts in here were constructive and polite, but adding personal shots such as you did is indicative of what he rightly or wrongly is seeing in this thread.

Pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

Except you're leaving out the fact that he came in here stoking the flames on two separate occasions. Once asking people to list what they thought he did wrong, and once to indiscriminately dismiss every single comment he just asked people to supply him with. Beside that, we've got those tweets, which to be completely frank read more like a "I didn't need them anyway" type comment than anything else. The blame can't really be put squarely on the people using this thread for what it's here for, which is to discuss the show and the topics broached on the show.

Huddy

The dude has been in the industry and public spotlight for a while now... He's had to deal with IGN comment sections (yikes!) and random twitter messages. I don't think petty or rude insults get to him.

He's well within his right to choose not to engage with us anymore, but hopefully that doesn't stop us from having healthy discussions providing feedback for them in hopes that they do hear it and it helps improve their content.

It's much simplier than that, he just doesn't want to admit he's wrong.

kevin1025

Banned

He said he wanted to engage with us and provide the things that were either wrong or needed clarification. A lot of us did that, while there were a couple of hits on him. He then never engaged with us and decided to leave instead. I think we should leave it at that, and move on.

Top Bottom