• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

paulogy

What are they supposed to do? Lie about how they feel? LOL.

They are supposed to speak with authority about things they've experienced. Unless I just missed it, it was pretty clear to me they haven't spent any quality time with any of these three things they mentioned.

I played both betas of The Tomorrow Children (it's been out officially since 9/6 by the way), been playing Drawn to Death on and off for months, and enjoy the hard work and real perspectives shared on the PlayStation Blogcast weekly. I think this episode sold all three short.

But I'm almost beyond caring at this point. I know firsthand how I feel about these things. I just know plenty of other people who will take what they hear as-is and not try to experience things for themselves. It's a shame, really.

benzopil

They are supposed to speak with authority about things they've experienced. Unless I just missed it, it was pretty clear to me they haven't spent any quality time with any of these three things they mentioned.
You should check The Tomorrow Children's score on Opencritic. Everyone is disappointed there.

Maximo

I played both betas of The Tomorrow Children (it's been out officially since 9/6 by the way), been playing Drawn to Death on and off for months, and enjoy the hard work and real perspectives shared on the PlayStation Blogcast weekly. I think this episode sold all three short.

But I'm almost beyond caring at this point. I know firsthand how I feel about these things. I just know plenty of other people who will take what they hear as-is and not try to experience things for themselves. It's a shame, really.

Yes why DO you care if you enjoyed them for months these opinions shouldn't effect you.

paulogy

Yes why DO you care if you enjoyed them for months these opinions shouldn't effect you.

I care that the quality of a podcast I've enjoyed every week since it has been out (not to mention the many years of Beyond prior) seems to have taken a nosedive lately and I don't know why.

As I was speculating here one difference might be less firsthand experience. Perhaps they're just busy, or deciding to play fewer games / avoid preview events etc. but it seems the opinions shared are less pertinent than usual. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more.

Maybe it's just me? Or maybe none of this really matters. At all, really. Probably that.

ShutterMunster

I care that the quality of a podcast I've enjoyed every week since it has been out (not to mention the many years of Beyond prior) seems to have taken a nosedive lately and I don't know why.

As I was speculating here one difference might be less firsthand experience. Perhaps they're just busy, or deciding to play fewer games / avoid preview events etc. but it seems the opinions shared are less pertinent than usual. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more.

Maybe it's just me? Or maybe none of this really matters. At all, really. Probably that.

Nah, it seems like you're upset they don't care for the things you enjoy.

They've never been restricted or expected to only discuss things they have experience with. They give their thoughts on a myriad of things they haven't interacted with yet or have no plans of interacting with and no one complains. Plenty of other outlets do as well.

You should check The Tomorrow Children's score on Opencritic. Everyone is disappointed there.

Nah, it seems like you're upset they don't care for the things you enjoy.

They've never been restricted or expected to only discuss things they have experience with. They give their thoughts on a myriad of things they haven't interacted with yet or have no plans of interacting with and no one complains. Plenty of other outlets do as well.

I mean he said why he's concerned, because these hot takes are coming seemingly without any relevant experience with the game and are discouraging their massive audience from trying these games. He probably would care less if they just didn't like the game after playing it.

The funny thing is it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Keep talking about how much of a mistake these experiments are before they even come out so then people don't buy it and we get a #ColinWasRight moment.

But really it wasn't that bad of a segment.

Swass

Colin going on about how Sony doesn't have a tent pole game for the holidays. I think it has been pretty clear this generation that Sony is letting AAA and 3rd party exclusives carry the holidays while they have strong exclusives in the winter and spring.

Gravity Rush 2, Dreams, and Last Guardian will carry the holidays and then the first half of 2017 is crazy good for Sony:

Persona 5
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Nier: Automata
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh

Can't believe he is helping push the narrative that Sony has no games and I find it odd that he is discounting this lineup when he appears to be a fan of Japanese games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Colin going on about how Sony doesn't have a tent pole game for the holidays. I think it has been pretty clear this generation that Sony is letting AAA and 3rd party exclusives carry the holidays while they have strong exclusives in the winter and spring.

Gravity Rush 2, Dreams, and Last Guardian will carry the holidays and then the first half of 2017 is crazy good for Sony:

Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh

Can't believe he is helping push the narrative that Sony has no games and I find it odd that he is discounting this lineup when he appears to be a fan of Japanese games.

Yes, it's odd how an 'intelligent' person like Colin can't see Sony's strategy. And falling for the whole 'last 4 months of the year are all that count' shows a real lack of individualism. Sorry, Colin, but I'm afraid you're just falling in line with the going narratives at the moment: 'PS4 has no games', 'Pro is so confusing' and so on ...

How about mentioning games like The World of FF or Dragon Quest Builders? They seem keen on promoting any damn game on the Vita but forget decent games on the PS4. I think I might unsub and sub to Crapgamer. He inadvertently promotes more games than these two.

Zukkoyaki

I agree with Colin's take on Sony's F2P games. Regardless of quality I feel like they weren't handled very well.

Guns Up and Kill-Strain were both in constant beta/alpha to the point where people didn't even realize when they were actually released, and the constant tests both open and closed saturated people on them before they were even out. There was never anything special about each test because we were constantly hearing about them. They should have just done the usual closed beta followed by open beta with the rest of the testing behind the scenes.

I agree with Colin's take on Sony's F2P games. Regardless of quality I feel like they weren't handled very well.

Guns Up and Kill-Strain were both in constant beta/alpha to the point where people didn't even realize when they were actually released, and the constant tests both open and closed saturated people on them before they were even out. There was never anything special about each test because we were constantly hearing about them. They should have just done the usual closed beta followed by open beta with the rest of the testing behind the scenes.

Yeah he's right about that. I also think it's emblematic of Playstation marketing shortcomings across the board. Not that these are huge titles.

Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh

I doubt Dreams is a 2016 game. If a date is not announced at Paris Games Week (if Sony even goes), it definitely is not a 2016 game.

Apples_89

And in this episode they're knocking The Tomorrow Children, Drawn to Death, and PlayStation Blogcast. Great.

I distinctly remember Colin saying that Drawn to Death looked great and he wishes no misfortune on Jaffe. His issue with Tomorrow Children stems from their awkward, and to a large extent, unpromoted rollout of the title.

kevin1025

Banned
I think I'm out on the show, unfortunately. I'm not really feeling the opinions on the show anymore, and the fall games talk at the start was disappointing. I'll keep checking in on the thread here, though, and see what's happening.

Wagram

Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh

In before Japanese games are niche and don't matter. Sony has been in Q1-Q2 for several years now (a season Microsoft is dry in) and Microsoft is in holiday (where Sony is comparatively dry). What's the big deal if ones in the holiday season and ones after?

Considering sales have been fine for Sony in the holiday season despite lack of HUGE blockbusters, it's a stupid narrative to push.

The God

Yes, it's odd how an 'intelligent' person like Colin can't see Sony's strategy. And falling for the whole 'last 4 months of the year are all that count' shows a real lack of individualism. Sorry, Colin, but I'm afraid you're just falling in line with the going narratives at the moment: 'PS4 has no games', 'Pro is so confusing' and so on ...

How about mentioning games like The World of FF or Dragon Quest Builders? They seem keen on promoting any damn game on the Vita but forget decent games on the PS4.I think I might unsub and sub to Crapgamer. He inadvertently promotes more games than these two.

lmao yeah sub to the guy who's racist in the name of video games

some of you are mad as hell and it's not that serious

Archtreyz

I mean both Colin and Greg said in the beginning that they were talking about Triple A releases in the fall and that they they weren't even sure it mattered and that the Spring season was what they were looking forward too. I don't know why people are upset about this. It's kind of crazy.

I think I'm out on the show, unfortunately. I'm not really feeling the opinions on the show anymore, and the fall games talk at the start was disappointing. I'll keep checking in on the thread here, though, and see what's happening.

Yeah me too. When he said today "thank you for the past 2 weeks for your support" (paraphrasing) it really bugged me. He is a personality who typically says controversial things and I Am supposed to feel pity for him when people disagree with him?

I should be able to move on and just listen but clearly I can't so I'll probably take a break for a while.

I'll still listen to the gameovergreggy show and the gamescast and we'll see how that goes.

And if I can't I'll stop and not feel guilty (as it's been quite clear, he doesn't need me/us)

Last tweet I saw of his until I decided to stop following:

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/778421889710510080

Apparently criticism is important. Unless it's of him. From this forum.

Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh

This isn't intentional. Sony devs can't push games out on time.

It's weird how people only rag on Colin for his opinions when Greg says pretty much the same thing most of the time.

It's getting pretty petty at this point and I'm not even a big fan of his.

It's weird how people only rag on Colin for his opinions when Greg says pretty much the same thing most of the time.

It's getting pretty petty at this point and I'm not even a big fan of his.

I feel like Colin's a bit more arrogant about his opinions than Greg is, which probably elicits that type of reaction. It's like Greg's just saying what he thinks while Colin's got the whole "Colin was right" thing. Coming here pushing for a conversation only to completely ignore it didn't help him any either.

kevin1025

Banned
I mean both Colin and Greg said in the beginning that they were talking about Triple A releases in the fall and that they they weren't even sure it mattered and that the Spring season was what they were looking forward too. I don't know why people are upset about this. It's kind of crazy.

It's more that they say there's "nothing" this fall, when for me personally, there's too much. It's all opinion, not fact. You need to have qualifiers in there or else it comes off as uninformed. There are two big Final Fantasy games, one that is also coming to Vita, but when it comes to XV, he says, "whatever", rather than it being a game that people are interested in that he just isn't.

I wouldn't say it's upset, more that it's disappointment. It's great to have an opinion, but to have your opinion be the end-all be-all ruins the show.

What do you mean with the bold? TLG and GR2 aren't AAA?

This isn't intentional. Sony devs can't push games out on time.
Eh, I think there is some method to the madness. This has been going on for a while now. I think it is too much of a coincidence that all their main games just so happen to be hitting the spring season.

I feel like Colin's a bit more arrogant about his opinions than Greg is, which probably elicits that type of reaction. It's like Greg's just saying what he thinks while Colin's got the whole "Colin was right" thing. Coming here pushing for a conversation only to completely ignore it didn't help him any either.
Yep.

I've disagreed with Greg several times but he never annoyed the heck out of me. There is a valid reason why and it isn't being "petty". This sort of stuff was being noted before this whole PS Pro fiasco even started.

chefbags

It's more that they say there's "nothing" this fall, when for me personally, there's too much. It's all opinion, not fact. You need to have qualifiers in there or else it comes off as uninformed. There are two big Final Fantasy games, one that is also coming to Vita, but when it comes to XV, he says, "whatever", rather than it being a game that people are interested in that he just isn't.

I wouldn't say it's upset, more that it's disappointment. It's great to have an opinion, but to have your opinion be the end-all be-all ruins the show.

Yeah I don't understand his reasoning for XV. Does he just think it's "whatever" because it's not turned based anymore or something?

I've seen him talk about how he hopes the game succeeds so to say it's "whatever" is a bit backtracking. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Raylan

Banned
Same here. As soon as the PS4 Pro crying started and never ended (with nonsense statements) I unfollowd their whole thingy. Welp, there are more than enough other sites/podcasts out there. Bigger and/or better.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Team Ico did the SOTC collection. Square Enix did the Tomb Raider remaster. Naughty Dog did the Last of Us Remaster. Quantic Dream did the Beyond and Heavy Rain remasters...

I could go on.

No they didn't. And I'm still under the impression that most remasters are done by external devs, and are usually not a lot of work (for good or for bad). GoW3 was done in a very short time by 2 or 3 people.

What do you mean with the bold? TLG and GR2 aren't AAA?.

Depends on how you define it, they are huge games for the enthusiast crowd, but they won't be shifting consoles the way Uncharted or Gears would.

Good podcast this week, been a while since I visited this thread.
I wish both Greg and Col were a bit more excited for GR2 and TLG, seems they have made up their minds that those games will suck but I know it's not their type of game.

Otherwise I kind of agree that this fall is dry for my tastes beyond those two games.
Only really looking forward to BF1 in addition to those two Sony first party titles.

TLG is schrodinger's AAA. It is both not a AAA and the most expensive game with the longest development time ever.

Shu has said that TLG wasn't expensive to make because in that gestation period to PS4, there weren't a large group of people working on it.

I would think games like UC4, GT Sport and Horizon ZD are far more expensive to produce.

What do you mean with the bold? TLG and GR2 aren't AAA?

GR2 is definitely not AAA. TLG is like one of those winter Oscar movie that gets really high review score due to its direct and make about 80 million in the box office. It's a important prestige project but not a "tent pole" AAA release.

GR2 is definitely not AAA. TLG is like one of those winter Oscar movie that gets really high review score due to its direct and make about 80 million in the box office. It's a important prestige project but not a "tent pole" AAA release.

How is Gravity Rush 2 not AAA? The production values seem top notch.

Some Nobody

Colin is kind of acting like your typical gaffer on twitter after they get banned.

Dat persecution complex.

I'm....40 minutes into this week's PSILY and I'd say you have a...strong opinion of how much GAF matters to Colin. And tbh I wouldn't be proud of whenever people get banned on this website for the most part anyway.

On that note, reading this thread makes me wonder if GAF is for me. I was totally on board with Colin. This fall isn't very strong, and I'm not sure why everyone should just be expected to fall in line with Sony and their habit of pushing games into Q1. You're all acting as if this is intentional by Sony; it's not, it's a string of delays that keep forcing them to be late with their major tentpole titles.

There's literally no way Sony wouldn't have rather had GT Sport, TLG and Horizon out around the holidays. That would've provided incredible sales for them and almost certainly Horizon would've sold better in October or November than it will in February.

And bringing up third-party being there for Sony is a fair discussion to have but ultimately they weren't talking about that. Admittedly, I don't care. Sony already has me--I'm not in danger of converting to PC, Nintendo is never going to make enough games to please me and they get very little relevant third-party titles for me*, and Xbox would only ever be a second console to me. I'm not going anywhere, so I don't care about first or third-party, just games. But I DO get the idea that if you're looking for exclusives, reasons to come to this console only over others that Sony's kind of light.

And to their credit, Colin DID bring up that a lot of their upcoming games look amazing and he's right. Even if they never manage to hit holiday dates games like God of War and Spider-Man are going to make stupid amounts of money.
*Unless the NX suddenly forces all the Japanese devs to level up and produce games that look good.

El-Suave

Yes, it's odd how an 'intelligent' person like Colin can't see Sony's strategy. And falling for the whole 'last 4 months of the year are all that count' shows a real lack of individualism.

Come on, that is no strategy - if it was they would announce the games for when you think they plan to ship them. They wouldn't annoy retailers and fans with multiple constant holiday season delays year after year. What you think is strategy is a spin and a fortunate side effect of them failing at keeping their original shedules. It's mismanagement and you get to still be a Sony fan when you call it that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
On that note, reading this thread makes me wonder if GAF is for me. I was totally on board with Colin. This fall isn't very strong, and I'm not sure why everyone should just be expected to fall in line with Sony and their habit of pushing games into Q1.

The post you quoted was referring to the events of last week. His fall line-up opinion is not the main reason why Colin is getting shit in this thread.

It's mismanagement and you get to still be a Sony fan when you call it that.

Mismanagement is a strong term, IMO releasing those games as-is and full of bugs would be far worse.

Come on, that is no strategy - if it was they would announce the games for when you think they plan to ship them. They wouldn't annoy retailers and fans with multiple constant holiday season delays year after year. What you think is strategy is a spin and a fortunate side effect of them failing at keeping their original shedules. It's mismanagement and you get to still be a Sony fan when you call it that.

Hard to call it mismanagement when its happening to everyone. Nearly every big game this gen has gotten delayed at least once, its a normal part of the industry now.

EmiPrime

I wish ReCore had gotten delayed. It could have been a very good game, instead it got below average reviews, was poorly optimised for Xbox One and according to data mining, had a bot cut from the game.

Delays aren't a bad thing. Unless someone is a retired millionaire there are too many games to buy and play at the end of the year anyway. All I have preordered is Gears 4 because PSVR and PS4 Pro are about to take a massive dump on my bank account.

Some Nobody

The post you quoted was referring to the events of last week. His fall line-up opinion is not the main reason why Colin is getting shit in this thread.

Yeah I guess I should've also quoted the guy who was all "I don't think PSILY is for me anymore" too.

I wish ReCore had gotten delayed. It could have been a very good game, instead it got below average reviews, was poorly optimised for Xbox One and according to data mining, had a bot cut from the game.

Delays aren't a bad thing. Unless someone is a retired millionaire there are too many games to buy and play at the end of the year anyway. All I have preordered is Gears 4 because PSVR and PS4 Pro are about to take a massive dump on my bank account.

Delays are indeed not a bad thing. But I'm also not going to applaud Sony for them like its some grand plan.

Sidenote: Just because there are a ton of games out doesn't mean I'm interested in them. I've become accustomed to the fact that the game I want the most is almost certainly going to get pushed back, but its also made me frustrated and almost apathetic about this gen after three entire years of them.

OléGunner;217588877 said:
Shu has said that TLG wasn't expensive to make because in that gestation period to PS4, there weren't a large group of people working on it.

I would think games like UC4, GT Sport and Horizon ZD are far more expensive to produce.

Oh, I know. I was just referring to two things I've heard said on the podcast before.

It's their own YT channel. They are not supposed to do anything other than what they want to do.

Given that people are directly paying their bills instead of just watching their channel to support them, I'd argue that they have a larger responsibility than they would have otherwise.

Also, you're making it seem as if he's asking for them to put a certain type of content on their channel. "Talking with authority about things you're familiar with while properly qualifying your opinions about things you're not familiar with" seem to me like things everyone should keep in mind rather than something you can just leave by the wayside. But maybe that's just me.

Well I agree that Sony has no exclusives this Fall, at all. For the third fucking year in a row. Shit's ridiculous. There is TLG and Gravity Rush 2, but those aren't tentpole titles. Microsoft has always been able to deliver on time. Sony has missed three straight Falls now and has had stacked Springs.

2014: MS releases Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection
Sony has nothing.

Early 2015, The Order 1886 and Bloodborne are released.

We get hyped for Uncharted though, but wait...

...it get's delayed to 2016 and we get the Uncharted Collection. Nothing else. Nothing.

Meanwhile in 2015 MS releases Forza 6, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Halo 5.

In 2016 UC4 is finally released in May and the month prior we got R&C.

MS is set to release FH3 and Gears 4 this Fall, while we again look at a stacked Spring, with GT Sport, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5 and Nier Automata.

The whole thing is just weird. I like MS and Sony but I really love Sony. They're schedule is off, tbh. It comes off as lazy. I'm sure next year God of War will be spring 2018 and Days Gone may fill the gap. MAY.

At some point you surely have to be asking yourself if what they're doing is intentional?

Third party's got winter down, there's no reason for first party to compete with them. It's far smarter to fill up the rest of the year with big games so that everything is more even instead of nigh-on everything being stacked in the winter.

They're clearly still selling tons of consoles during that season, and have been over the past few years. Why should they be giving people extra incentive when the incentive is already there, and when they could be giving other people the incentive to buy into their console at other points in the year as well (such as around the start of summer vacation).

BruceCLea

Banned
Well I agree that Sony has no exclusives this Fall, at all. For the third fucking year in a row. Shit's ridiculous. There is TLG and Gravity Rush 2, but those aren't tentpole titles. Microsoft has always been able to deliver on time. Sony has missed three straight Falls now and has had stacked Springs.

2014: MS releases Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Master Chief Collection
Sony has nothing.

Early 2015, The Order 1886 and Bloodborne are released.

We get hyped for Uncharted though, but wait...

...it get's delayed to 2016 and we get the Uncharted Collection. Nothing else. Nothing.

Meanwhile in 2015 MS releases Forza 6, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Halo 5.

In 2016 UC4 is finally released in May and the month prior we got R&C.

MS is set to release FH3 and Gears 4 this Fall, while we again look at a stacked Spring, with GT Sport, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5 and Nier Automata.

The whole thing is just weird. I like MS and Sony but I really love Sony. They're schedule is off, tbh. It comes off as lazy. I'm sure next year God of War will be spring 2018 and Days Gone may fill the gap. MAY.

Some Nobody

At some point you surely have to be asking yourself if what they're doing is intentional?

Third party's got winter down, there's no reason for first party to compete with them. It's far smarter to fill up the rest of the year with big games so that everything is more even instead of nigh-on everything being stacked in the winter.

They're clearly still selling tons of consoles during that season, and have been over the past few years. Why should they be giving people extra incentive when the incentive is already there, and when they could be giving other people the incentive to buy into their console at other points in the year as well (such as around the start of summer vacation).

This isn't intentional. Delays are bad PR. Hitting your release dates on schedule makes you look good. This isn't happening on purpose, it's happening because one by one each one of Sony's first-party titles end up needing more polish or more development than they originally thought.

And I mean, you make more money off your own games than someone shipping games that are ON your platform. That's why Uncharted 4 belongs in the fall and not in May--because people's wallets are open in October/November.

That's not to say I'm against year-round releases, though.

Top Bottom