• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

I haven't been able to listen to the full episode from yesterday yet, only part of it. But one thing that stuck out to me (and I hate to bring this up, because I'm generally a big fan of Colin's) is that he is constantly criticizing The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV for being in development for many years, yet he talked about being really excited for Ni-Oh, and he even brought up the fact that its been in development since 2004.
Why isn't that game open to the same criticism? I would just be curious to hear his thoughts on that.

kevin1025

Banned
I haven't been able to listen to the full episode from yesterday yet, only part of it. But one thing that stuck out to me (and I hate to bring this up, because I'm generally a big fan of Colin's) is that he is constantly criticizing The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV for being in development for many years, yet he talked about being really excited for Ni-Oh, and he even brought up the fact that its been in development since 2004.
Why isn't that game open to the same criticism? I would just be curious to hear his thoughts on that.

I imagine it would have to do with its exposure compared to the other two. But being out in the open or not, the project took as long as them.

This was my exact thought when he said that.

So because one game gets media exposure and the other does not. Really, people who aren't on Neogaf all day probably have never even really heard of The Last Guardian and they won't until close to release when/if they start advertising it.

Omerta

So this thread has become the "Let's jump on every little thing that Colin Moriarty says and rip it to pieces over several pages" thread has it?

Cool. Not for me.

BruceCLea

Banned
A large portion of those Microsoft games have under-performed, though, with many citing the release dates as one of the primary reasons they've failed to capture the attention of the market.

Yeah, you're right, but I wonder how much that really has to do with install base and popularity of the platform as a whole. My point is this: I find it interesting that Sony has missed the holiday window in terms of releasing a AAA exclusive for three years now. That's before Black Friday to me. I doubt it's strategic, I think Sony games would sale gangbusters if they managed to release UC4 in November. I think The Order 1886 would've sold better too.

S2G_Chris

So this thread has become the "Let's jump on every little thing that Colin Moriarty says and rip it to pieces over several pages" thread has it?

Cool. Not for me.

Yep, i agree
I love gaf, but i dont like how Colin's opinions get handled on this forum.

Any interactivity with the KF community ill be having on their site or the facebook group from this point going forward.

S2G_Chris

You sound like colin.

First of all, i wouldn't take that as an insult because i actually like Colin quite a bit and respect his opinions. I also like the way he presents his arguments with a lot of passion and i think hes the second funniest of the KF group (Nick being number 1)

But, i dont see how what i said is a Colin Moriarty like thing to say in any way. I do love gaf for general gaming news and discussions, my favorite place to go to for such things. Im also a big KF fan though and for things relating to that specifically, it seems like Gaf and KF dont line up on many things. Which is totally fine and i understand and respect, id just like to have a more positive conversation about KF's content and i feel like ill get that better from the KF community itself.

Signed,
Someone who has the Pro pre ordered and paid off in full

First of all, i wouldn't take that as an insult because i actually like Colin quite a bit and respect his opinions. I also like the way he presents his arguments with a lot of passion and i think hes the second funniest of the KF group (Nick being number 1)

But, i dont see how what i said is a Colin Moriarty like thing to say in any way. I do love gaf for general gaming news and discussions, my favorite place to go to for such things. Im also a big KF fan though and for things relating to that specifically, it seems like Gaf and KF dont line up on many things. Which is totally fine and i understand and respect, id just like to have a more positive conversation about KF's content and i feel like ill get that better from the KF community itself.

Signed,

Your ending statement where you talk about going to KF FB was pretty much the same as the one colin made when he threw his tantrum. That's most likely what was meant. Some people are big fans of him, some people enjoy the podcast, but think the guy says some off things sometimes and it gets discussed. I've honestly never been a huge fan, but I really dig Greg, so I take the good with the bad (personal opinion of course).

I've yet to see someone criticize the guy on something he didn't do, so I'm not sure why a few of you are so up in arms or why you would feel the need to announce that you're going elsewhere (twice now) for your fix. Then again, I've never felt the need to rush to the defense of an Internet personality who I have no affiliation with, so what do I know?

The last few episodes of the podcast have been way too cynical for my tastes. Loved Beyond and PS, I love You, but man is Colin more cynical than ever. Way more than Jeff Gertsmann even. Bummer.

Cool. Not for me.

No.
It just so happens he's said a few things lately that a lot of us in this topic don't really agree with - thus we're bound to discuss it.

I like the guy, he has good points and i enjoy listening to him talk.

I feel like we have entered Crapgamers youtube comment section.

I like Gravity Rush because of the gameplay and Kat herself is an interesting character. I'm not sure what anime creepiness has to do with anything.

Agreeded I liked Gravity rush for the gameplay story DESPITE the anime creepiness that actually put me off, but thats just me.

Signed,

Well said sir, see you at KFL3?

The last few episodes of the podcast have been way too cynical for my tastes. Loved Beyond and PS, I love You, but man is Colin more cynical than ever. Way more than Jeff Gertsmann even. Bummer.

Mhm, it's really turning me off of the show. Especially since a lot of that cynicism is stubborn, tedious and incessant ranting, and imo quite baseless, which means it's not even constructive. Usually Colin can keep his unconstructive criticism to a relative minimum and move on with other subjects but the last few weeks it feels like every episode has been the exact same, which I know is an exaggeration but its what it feels like.

Cool. Not for me.

I mean I guess? I feel like the thing that some KF fans who jump to his defense (particularly on Twitter) and Colin himself don't understand is like many in this thread I'm a huge fan of Colin. I traveled across the country to attend Beyond 300. I just think he's had some really odd and rigid stances in a couple things over the last year and I feel like this is the only place we can discuss it, which is what we are doing.

Cool. Not for me.

It's because many of us like Colin so much that these rants/opinions/takes have stuck out. He has always had passion to his points, but lately they feel a bit uninformed (particularly with PS4 Pro), and there is a reluctance to hear and understand the other side of the argument. He attempted to do that, but then decided not to follow through and instead painted many of us with a broad brush.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Popped up in my Youtube recommended list today so I was curious to see the new set in action and the VR headline grabbed me.

Had forgotten that Colin is unwatchable and I guess was a friend of a friend of someone and not really into videogames? But perfectly okay with taking big fat Patreon cheques to pretend he is? Just sweeping all japanese games under some weird rug with comments like "FFXV could not come out and I wouldn't care" and "not really playing anything".

Was hoping the hiccups were going to turn into projectile vomit for something interesting to watch, but that fantasy never came to be and bailed out after the short PSVR segment. Waste of a set.

Popped up in my Youtube recommended list today so I was curious to see the new set in action and the VR headline grabbed me.

Had forgotten that Colin is unwatchable and I guess was a friend of a friend of someone and not really into videogames? But perfectly okay with taking big fat Patreon cheques to pretend he is? Just sweeping all japanese games under some weird rug with comments like "FFXV could not come out and I wouldn't care" and "not really playing anything".

Was hoping the hiccups were going to turn into projectile vomit for something interesting to watch, but that fantasy never came to be and bailed out after the short PSVR segment. Waste of a set.

And then there are the people who don't like Colin ^^`

No offence but it's the comments like this that helped Colin paint us all as rude people who weren't willing to have a civil discussion.

Us people trying to have that discussion had a hard enough time combating Colin and his fanboys from spreading the narrative that we were being personal when we weren't without comments like that making it even harder so maybe keep that shit out-of here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You can take Gies to the water but you can't make them drink/swim/see logic . No amount of community outward pressure is going to change their weird irrational hardline stances on stuff and also calling foul whenever even slightly pressured. They are who they are. Maybe Colins appeal is as a "fixer upper" but one day that romantic pipe dream fades.

I gave an ep a chance because Greg can be a funtime every now and then but he hardly spoke throughout and Colin actually said "I like Ayn Rand, its cool, its fun" out loud so jesus fucking christ.

Smokey

Was hoping the hiccups were going to turn into projectile vomit for something interesting to watch
, but that fantasy never came to be and bailed out after the short PSVR segment. Waste of a set.

Savage af

fritzo

I gave an ep a chance because Greg can be a funtime every now and then but he hardly spoke throughout and Colin actually said "I like Ayn Rand, its cool, its fun" out loud so jesus fucking christ.

man it would be cool if Greg (or maybe a guest) would go back at Colin with counter arguments more often. Sometimes there just not enough discussion, or a view point that's different from Colin's. I respect both their opinions, and have been listening since they've launched, but I'm glad I listen to other podcasts just so I can hear other different opinions.

I like Colin, a lot. His episode of Pockets Full of Soup is fantastic. If you haven't seen it, watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3I0WcSFptg

And I love PS I Love You XOXO. It's one of the best podcasts around and I look forward to it every Tuesday.

I've just vehemently disagreed with him for 2 consecutive shows (PSM and the follow-up). Disagreeing with someone shouldn't automatically place you in the NeoGAF Basket of Deplorables. But somehow, there I am. I guess.

The whole operation has become too cynical for my liking. The few moments on C&G live where they are loose and not trying to be so intellectual trying to breakdown minute details of things are the most enjoyable. I like when they do that too, but wish there were some more moments throughout this show in particular when things are less cynical and more relaxed and free flowing.

No offence but it's the comments like this that helped Colin paint us all as rude people who weren't willing to have a civil discussion.

Us people trying to have that discussion had a hard enough time combating Colin and his fanboys from spreading the narrative that we were being personal when we weren't without comments like that making it even harder so maybe keep that shit out-of here.

Does it really matter? If you have 20 people trying to have a discussion with you using constructive criticism, but you also have 1 person spewing vitriol then you could just ignore that one person. There's even an ignore option. That's not what happened here though. Using the negative comments of a few people to ignore everyone else trying to engage in a productive conversation just seems like you were just looking for an excuse to not answer any questions.

Does it really matter? If you have 20 people trying to have a discussion with you using constructive criticism, but you also have 1 person spewing vitriol then you could just ignore that one person. There's even an ignore option. That's not what happened here though. Using the negative comments of a few people to ignore everyone else trying to engage in a productive conversation just seems like you were just looking for an excuse to not answer any questions.
Oh no I understand that you can just ignore the one person but their comment doesn't bring anything to the conversation and just helps people trying to paint us all as rude people personally attacking Colin.

While I do feel that no matter what we did when Colin agreed to discuss things that the outcome would have changed as it was clear Colin either couldn't handle the sheer volume of people or just never planned to tackle the criticism in the first place, having shitty comments like that just makes us all look bad and give the people attacking us (Colin and his defenders) the fuel they need.

Servbot24

Banned

One of the stupidest posts of the thread.

Bolivar687

Banned
I was glad they spent some time on the San Diego and UK closings and tying it all together into the bigger picture. The whole thing reminds me of when famousmortimer got banned amidst Jack Tretton leaving, Driveclub being delayed a full year, Santa Monica's game getting rebooted three times and ultimately canceled with Stig Asmussen's departure. At the time, it was all waved away as isolated incidents but it's pretty clear at this point that something is systemically wrong at World Wide Studios. There's just no stability, consistency, or output anymore and it's unthinkable that they've had three holidays without a significant lineup, four if you count how rushed Shadowfall and underwhelming Knack was. They dropped Vita to emphasize PS4 and still have nothing to show for it. They really need to get that ship in order somehow because this is just scary at this point.

I was glad they spent some time on the San Diego and UK closings and tying it all together into the bigger picture. The whole thing reminds me of when famousmortimer got banned amidst Jack Tretton leaving, Driveclub being delayed a full year, Santa Monica's game getting rebooted three times and ultimately canceled with Stig Asmussen's departure. At the time, it was all waved away as isolated incidents but it's pretty clear at this point that something is systemically wrong at World Wide Studios. There's just no stability, consistency, or output anymore and it's unthinkable that they've had three holidays without a significant lineup, four if you count how rushed Shadowfall and underwhelming Knack was. They dropped Vita to emphasize PS4 and still have nothing to show for it. They really need to get that ship in order somehow because this is just scary at this point.
I honestly think it works out better for them in the long run tbh. I'm not saying they're doing it on purpose, but spreading those games out makes them easier for me to justify when I'm not trying to decide what 2-3 games to buy in the fall months.

Raylan

Banned
Gears 4 kinda kills both of those games. People only care about Gravity Rush because of the Anime creepy factor. TLG will have terrible gameplay just like the previous Team ICO games. But they are Japanese so that boosts them 500% for you weirdos.

Its actually a pretty poor season for both teams. Gears then nothing, really.
rofl dude, you are hilarious. Funny thing is, you're actually being serious.

kevin1025

Banned
TLG only had "exposure" since last year.

True, but it was a constant "will it be at E3?" or "is it still in development?" But yeah, I agree that they should be held to the same standard as Nioh, which gets a pass for being in development since 2004, but TLG and FF XV get ridiculed a half hour before.

Mengetsu

rofl dude, you are hilarious. Funny thing is, you're actually being serious.
People who don't like anime style of games exist and that's fair but for them to say people like it and it's weird always gets me. I play more Japanese games because it appeals to me more than American games and I can only play but so many Shooters and open world games.

I won't ever say people's taste are weird for it though. I guess anime has given people a reason to say the things they do. It's a fair statement but, there's just as good to it as bad.

ghibli99

Maybe I'm mistaking passion for cynicism, but Colin... man, dude's gotta lighten up a bit. I'm already sick of listening to him shit on everything just a few minutes into this. It seems like it's been happening more and more lately, like he can't focus on anything but the negative. I actively avoid people like this in my day-to-day life. Might have to do that here too, despite my love for this podcast.

LurkingFear

Maybe I'm mistaking passion for cynicism, but Colin... man, dude's gotta lighten up a bit. I'm already sick of listening to him shit on everything just a few minutes into this. It seems like it's been happening more and more lately, like he can't focus on anything but the negative. I actively avoid people like this in my day-to-day life. Might have to do that here too, despite my love for this podcast.

My thoughts, your words.

Well said, its actually depressing to watch unfold. These are the worst type of people to encounter, because they just add nothing to elevate the conversation, and detract from it.

Colin should probably be removed from the show, or Kinda Funny altogether.

chefbags

My thoughts, your words.

Well said, its actually depressing to watch unfold. These are the worst type of people to encounter, because they just add nothing to elevate the conversation, and detract from it.

Colin should probably be removed from the show, or Kinda Funny altogether.

He's kind of a co-founder with Greg so I don't see that happening any time soon. I just hope one day he'll get to see what the pro is all about.

jacobeid

Banned
He's kind of a co-founder with Greg so I don't see that happening any time soon. I just hope he'll one day he'll get to see what the pro is all about.

TBH I think Colin just needs a few weeks off to just hit the reset button (no pun intended) and get back into a good mental space. He's been pretty open about his anxiety and I'm wondering if that is making him more irritable or argumentative.

I only suggest this because I have similar tendencies. Having others point that out to me was very helpful.

rubes7844

Banned
He's kind of a co-founder with Greg so I don't see that happening any time soon. I just hope he'll one day he'll get to see what the pro is all about.
He'll get one for free from Sony and then scream to the heavens that it is/not a great value. You know, like digital games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Gears 4 kinda kills both of those games. People only care about Gravity Rush because of the Anime creepy factor. TLG will have terrible gameplay just like the previous Team ICO games. But they are Japanese so that boosts them 500% for you weirdos.

Its actually a pretty poor season for both teams. Gears then nothing, really.

Is this real life? The 5th installment of the gears franchise kills all of these games because of some ignorant mindset about Japanese games you have that doesn't actually have anything to do with reality?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 will be the better games over TLG and GR2. TLG at this point is a joke. The controls and mechanics look clunky as hell, your character can fall from big heights and not even get hurt and it of course, looks like a PS3 game. GR2 looked great from the TGS but it's not going to outsell or review better than GOW4 or FH3. Both games are for either the cult like fans for TLG or the Japanese fans for GR2. Neither game is worth being mentioned as Sony's big heavy hitter or top fall title. They both will have their small group of fans who buy and play the games but that's pretty much it. And add in the fact that both of them are $60 and get released within the same week and a week after FFXV. So, if anything, both games are going to cancel each other out.

Top Bottom