• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Inside is probably the most important game of the generation so far. I can't recommend it enough. I hope you enjoy it and love it as much as I did.
Been playing through Valkyria chronicles, but it's next on the list.

My list of the 9 games

1) The last Guardian
2) Horizon
3) Spider-Man
4) God of War
5) GTS
6) Dreams
7) Detroit
8) Days Gone
9) Death Stranding

The last guardian basically looks like Ico2, and the issues seem to mostly be technical in nature which was the reason for the slight delay. I think it'll deliver, and not many games are able to tell good stories through gameplay like Team Ico can. Death Stranding is last because I think Kojima has a lot to prove after MGS5. I'm into MGS for the story, I feel he only nailed the gameplay in the latest series. Where's my epic Solid vs. Big Boss fight??! Gran Turismo is usually really fun just to collect cars, put on some music, and enjoy the visuals, I recommend it. Horizon and Spider-Man look to be some of the strongest in terms of gameplay, I'm looking forward to them almost equally, but Horizon is just closer, that logic applies to Gow and Days gone, just too far away, but Gow had a stronger debut than Days Gone or Detroit IMO.

Great list of upcoming exclusives, if even half of them deliver we are in for a treat.

Okay don't kill me but here is my honest list, only 30 mins through the ep so not got to this bit yet as was out drinking with Nick last night in London, which was amazing so did not get a chance to watch last night! Anyway to the list:

9. The Last Guardian
8. Death Stranding
7. Gran Turismo
6. God of War
5. Spider-Man
4. Days Gone
3. Detroit: Become Human
2. Dreams (infinate VR game/content sign me up!)
1. Horizon: Zero Dawn

1- Horizon Zero Dawn
2- GTSport (would've been one and it could be again, will wait and see what the delay does)
3- GOW
4- Spiderman
5-Days Gone
6- GR2
7- TLG
8- Detroit
9- Death Stranding

Here's my list, which comes from the perspective of someone who doesn't own a PS4 currently, and doesn't intend to get one in the future:

1. Horizon Zero Dawn - everything about this game looks great. The setting, characters, action. This is looking like it will be a great new franchise for Playstation
2. Death Stranding - I'm not a huge Kojima fan, but I really liked the teaser, and can't wait to see what becomes of the game, even though info is currently very brief
3. Spiderman - It looks like Insomniac is taking learning from Sunset Overdrive, which I loved, and combining it with the iconic Spiderman world.
4. Days Gone - We've had lots of Zombie games up to this point, but this looks to be an interesting twist in the genre.
5. God of War - I've always liked the action and combat, but never cared for the story or characters. So far, I think this looks like the most interesting God of War to date, and the first one I'd be eager to play day one.
6. Detroit - I've never played a Quantic Dream game, so I don't have that connection to Detriot. I do really like the futuristic setting, and would like to see more of the game
7. The Last Guardian - I never played ICO or SotC, from that perspective this game doesn't look like anything special or exciting. And the recent previews don't do much to change that for me.
8. Dreams - I'm glad Media Molecule exists as a studio, and that they're allowed to do what they're doing, but this game just isn't for me.
9. Gran Turismo Sport - Not a huge racing game fan, and if I were to get into a racing game, the Forza Horizon series is more my preference.

phanphare

Banned
1. Spider-Man; Insomniac games plus the Spider-Man IP. 'nuff said.
2. Gravity Rush 2

not really feeling anything else. horizon could be cool but doesn't necessarily look like my cup of tea, same with god of war. I've got my eye on both of those though. the rest don't really appeal to me at all.

If you exclude Persona 5 (which would be my super, uber number 1), here's my list:

1) Horizon (I agree with Colin that this has the potential to be the next HUGE IP)
2) God of War (can't wait to see the new direction they are taking)
3) Detroit (so far, it looks incredible and the initial trailer blew me away)
4) Days Gone (if they do something new with the genre, could be awesome)
5) Spider-Man (could be great, could be another awful superhero game)
6) The Last Guardian (just doesn't seem all that interesting of a game)
7) Death Stranding (I know it's not a popular opinion, but I don't really like Kojima games)
8) Dreams (not a huge fan of world building games)
9) GT Sport (just not a driving game fan)

There's a pretty big gap for me between #5 and #6, as the bottom 4 games I have almost no interest in. But the first 5 are honestly pretty equal in terms of excitement for me.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My list from least excited to most excited -

9. Dreams (have no interest whatsoever and think that the game will bomb completely)

8. Gran Turismo Sport (have no interest whatsoever but it will sell a few million copies easily)

7. The Last Guardian (have no interest in playing but I am interested to see how it reviews and sells, outside of the cult fans who will buy this game day one, I think that it will flop and be looked back as a game that should have been cancelled)

6. Death Stranding (more interested than the previously mentioned games but at the same time, my interest is becoming less and less the more the game is talked about. seriously, kojima and his team need to go away and just work on the game. see you in 2019)

5. Spider Man (not really a spider-man fan nor do I really care about superhero comic book games but it's Insomniac so that automatically makes me interested in the game plus it's an exclusive and not just a cash grab. game will be at the very least good or better and sell very well. see you in 2018)

4. Detroit: Become Human (never liked Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls but the E3 demo looked very good and as long as there's no weird crappy motion control garbage, this will stay near the top of my list)

3. God of War IV (return of Kratos in a new setting, new attitude, more emotion, etc. is a definite positive. only negative is that you're stuck with the kid the entire game which makes sense from a story perspective but my concern is how will the AI be in regards to the kid? will it be like Ellie in TLOU where she's basically invisible to enemies? this is my main concern and question. everything else looks great and Christopher Judge voicing Kratos is a positive as well and he was by far my second favorite character on Stargate SG1)

2. Days Gone (hell yeah...freakers and a sons of anarchy type game, hell yeah...I believe that this will be the game that puts Bend on the map and near the top of the list...open world biker/zombie type game with TLOU elements, did I mention hell yeah??? lol)

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn (still pissed that the game was delayed six months to February and I still think that it will be delayed again...nevertheless, it's my number one most excited for game and definitely see this as Sony's next big IP. Guerrilla Games has a winner here.....only complaint is where the hell is my mini-map???)

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
9. GT Sport - Cars, zzz
8. Days Gone - Zombies, zzz
7. Spider-Man - Superheroes, zzz
6. Dreams - Looks interesting, gorgeous, but I didn't create anything in LBP and I sure won't in this game, so ultimately zzz
5. Detroit - I like QD's games
4. GOW - I like the franchise, still not sure about the new direction tho
3. Horizon - GG doesn't have the greatest record but this one is looking great
2. Death Stranding - Mother effing KOJIMA
1. The Last Guardian - MOTHER EFFING UEDA

Didn't even watch the episode yet. I'm just gonna throw in some love for Dreams. LittleBigPlanet is one of my favorite games series of all time. Even if the platforming is floaty... I always loved creating in games. When I was a kid, I would automatically get addicted to any flash game if it had a level create function, even if I didn't like the game otherwise. So when I heard that a full fledged console game based around creating levels was a thing, I was super stoked and fell in love with it. I love playing user created levels too.

I doubt I'll have nearly as much time to create stuff in Dreams (hopefully I'll be working on developing a real game by then), but I'm still super excited for it. I'm also extremely intrigued that you can export things made in Dreams to other real game dev engines (or maybe it was JUST Unity). The music creator is apparently comparable to professional music making software (which is something I'm also super into). So it's like, a lot of my passions in one product, lol.

I feel like we need to get away from this idea that long development = automatic shit game. I'm sure there are plenty of movies, albums, and games that have been worked on, shelved, and retooled over a long period of time that turned out good. Nioh by all accounts sounds like it's amazing. As for TLG and FFXV, I have some faith.

I don't think anyone says they are automatically bad, just that no way they can live up to the hype.

I don't think anyone says they are automatically bad, just that no way they can live up to the hype.

Yeah. The same thing will happen with Half-Life 3. That could be the greatest game of all time and even that might not be enough. The myth/hype for that game has been building and building and it hasn't even been officially announced.

7. Spider-Man - Superheroes, zzz
Unforgivable!

Yeah. The same thing will happen with Half-Life 3. That could be the greatest game of all time and even that might not be enough. The myth/hype for that game has been building and building and it hasn't even been officially announced.
I don't know, I think that can apply to any game with people interested in it. You'll always have some who hype it up to the sky and beyond and end up crashing and burning because of themselves. It shouldn't matter whether they can live up to the hype because it varies on an individual level and it is all artificial.

Unforgivable!

I don't know, I think that can apply to any game with people interested in it. You'll always have some who hype it up to the sky and beyond and end up crashing and burning because of themselves. It shouldn't matter whether they can live up to the hype because it varies on an individual level and it is all artificial.
The problem with No Mans Sky is that it was talked about too much.

Fallout 4 was in development for what 5 years? But yet, it didn't have to worry as much about living up to hype because it didn't get talked about at all.

Mezoly

The problem with No Mans Sky is that it was talked about too much.

Fallout 4 was in development for what 5 years? But yet, it didn't have to worry as much about living up to hype because it didn't get talked about at all.

But people were anticipating Fallout 4 for years and I saw a lot of backlash probably because people own hype.

Didn't even watch the episode yet. I'm just gonna throw in some love for Dreams. LittleBigPlanet is one of my favorite games series of all time. Even if the platforming is floaty... I always loved creating in games.When I was a kid, I would automatically get addicted to any flash game when I if it had a level create function, even if I didn't like the game otherwise. So when I heard that a full fledged console game made based around creating levels was a thing, I was super stoked and fell in love with it. I love playing user created levels too.

I doubt I'll have nearly as much time to create stuff in Dreams (hopefully I'll be working on developing a real game by then), but I'm still super excited for it. I'm also extremely intrigued that you can export things made in Dreams to other real game dev engines (or maybe it was JUST Unity). The music creator is apparently comparable to professional music making software (which is something I'm also super into). So it's like, a lot of my passions in one product, lol.

Agreed and I have also had it confirmed on twitter by MM that it will support PSVR so basicially infinate vr games/content this is the most exciting thing at Sony i think the engine and tools are so revolutionary and clever. Just wish we know more about when it is coming out been in development for ages now really want to play it, there was meant to be a beta this year but fairly certain this has been delayed.

But people were anticipating Fallout 4 for years and I saw a lot of backlash probably because people own hype.

I didn't play Fallout 4 so I am just speculating, but a lot of the backlash against fallout 4 was A. After all these years, why are all Bethesda games so broken at launch? B. It wasn't that much different than Fallout 3. C. The town part was very love/hate.

I don't think it was a hype problem.

Jmille99

Since the talk of AAA games came up, I really wish I understood this need for first party games (specifically the "biggest" titles) during the Fall deluge. Every year I hear and see people complain that Sony isnt releasing enough in the Fall to only then and complain about how theres too many games to play during that time.

So Im really confused on what they want. Is there too many games? Should there be more? Why does anything less than AAA not count? The only people who should care are those financially affected by it, but it comes off as those who care about what systems sell more each month in fanboy wars.

I like the spread throughout the year they have with exclusives. It may be bigger games like Uncharted 4 or Street Fighter V. It may be smaller titles like Killstrain or Tomorrow Children. It may be more niche fitles like Star Ocean V or Gravity Rush 2. Regardless of the quality, at least theres SOMETHING. Not everything has to be up my alley.

Since the talk of AAA games came up, I really wish I understood this need for first party games (specifically the "biggest" titles) during the Fall deluge. Every year I hear and see people complain that Sony isnt releasing enough in the Fall to only then and complain about how theres too many games to play during that time.

So Im really confused on what they want. Is there too many games? Should there be more? Why does anything less than AAA not count? The only people who should care are those financially affected by it, but it comes off as those who care about what systems sell more each month in fanboy wars.

I like the spread throughout the year they have with exclusives. It may be bigger games like Uncharted 4 or Street Fighter V. It may be smaller titles like Killstrain or Tomorrow Children. It may be more niche fitles like Star Ocean V or Gravity Rush 2. Regardless of the quality, at least theres SOMETHING. Not everything has to be up my alley.
Don't get it myself either. Hell I'm of the firm belief the last guardian and gravity rush 2 shouldn't be in the holidays slot either. They'll get buried(which I mean they probably won't do well regardless) but at least they'd have a fighting chance.

Didn't even watch the episode yet. I'm just gonna throw in some love for Dreams. LittleBigPlanet is one of my favorite games series of all time. Even if the platforming is floaty... I always loved creating in games. When I was a kid, I would automatically get addicted to any flash game if it had a level create function, even if I didn't like the game otherwise. So when I heard that a full fledged console game based around creating levels was a thing, I was super stoked and fell in love with it. I love playing user created levels too.

dreams looks like it could be great, the tools are certainly there to make something special, but MM needs to wrap this up in a presentable package already and show the campaign off. Yes, little big planet backbone is its creative community, but the reason people were clapping for it when it debuted at GDC was because it was charming, good looking, and looked fun to play with others. I think this was before the return of SMB as well and co-op play got a much needed jolt. I still don't see that with Dreams. I also don't get why it's not called Little Big World or something as the game is a spritual successor to LBP but leaving behind the memorable characters?

Meh, just a lot of question marks around dreams and I no longer have a desire to be optimistic about everything from Sony studios. MM has a lot to deliver, the friggin game was shown off before PS4 even launched and we still don't know what genre it is. Creation tools are not a good selling point, they need to make it a game already.

AudioEppa

My list.

1. Detroit: Become Human (my kind of game)
2. Days Gone (see above)
3. Spider-Man (have high expectations)
4. God of War (the changes now make it appealing)
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn (50% hyped about it)
6. The Last Guardian (looks charming af)

Honorable mention. Death Stranding. A huge wait and see with this one.. As it pains me to say it. I love Kojima. But I want over the solar system of ideas Kojima. Power bomb the shark storytelling Kojima. 10 hour+ cinematic cutscenes Kojima. The real Kojima. Please come back Mr. Kojima.

They started working on the campaign rather late in development. I remember during the Kinda Funny lets play for Dreams, they said they were just starting on the campaign or something like that.

I just hope it's mostly a platformer like LBP, but it'll probably be more adventure/puzzle heavy. I personally understand enough about the game to be excited. It's basically 3D LBP with create tools and a campaign of some sort. While I do hope the campaign turns out to be good, as it would serve as a nice opener, I will ultimately spend 95% of my time doing non campaign related things.

They started working on the campaign rather late in development. I remember during the Kinda Funny lets play for Dreams, they said they were just starting on the campaign or something like that.

I just hope it's mostly a platformer like LBP, but it'll probably be more adventure/puzzle heavy. I personally understand enough about the game to be excited. It's basically 3D LBP with create tools and a campaign of some sort. While I do hope the campaign turns out to be good, as it would serve as a nice opener, I will ultimately spend of my time doing non campaign related things.
yea I understand that, but I don't think that's the majority of the 5+million people that bought LBP&LBP2. They need to show us the most important (even if it's not) part of the package! And then ease everyone into creating.

Late to the party, but here goes...

1. The Last Guardian (Team ICO. 'Nuff said.)
- Gravity Rush 2
2. Detroit: Become Human (The E3 trailer got me HYPED. Heavy Rain vibes all over. Enough to wash the bitter aftertaste of Beyond out of my mouth.)
3. Dreams (I love MediaMolecule and am happy to embrace whatever they conjure up. Just... get a move on.)
4. God of War (The E3 demo was different enough from GoW of yore to make me give a shit about GoW again. Miracles never cease to happen.)
5. Spider-Man (I like Insomniac, and I think they're a perfect fit for Spider-Man. Got a good feeling about this one.)
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Not feeling the hype for it, but I imagine I will play it at some point if it reviews well.)
7. Days Gone (The DVD sequel to The Last of Us that you never asked for. Zombies + open world + grizzled anti-hero = by the numbers.)
8. Death Stranding (I was on board until Kojima started talking about open-world and co-op. And then I remembered that it's still four years from coming out.)
9. Gran Turismo (It's a racing simulator. The only gaming genres that get me more flaccid are MMOs and MOBAs.)

I don't know how you stone-wall GR2 due to its lack of AAA production values, but still include TLG in there. Tomaya might not be working with a multi-million budget, but his team has still managed to produce something ten times more dazzling to look at than Days Gone.

sora87

I don't know how you stone-wall GR2 due to its lack of AAA production values, but still include TLG in there. Tomaya might not be working with a multi-million budget, but his team has still managed to produce something ten times more dazzling to look at than Days Gone.

I'm pretty sure GR2 has a bigger dev team than TLG and probably Dreams too. It's an open world game with lots of cool mechanics, pretty long dev period and will probably take a good 10+ hours to beat. It's also a full price retail release. I think Colin just has some weird problem with it and refuses to acknowledge it. If they include TLG and Dreams then they have to include GR2, it's actually quite insulting not to. Baffles me!

I'm pretty sure GR2 has a bigger dev team than TLG and probably Dreams too. It's an open world game with lots of cool mechanics, pretty long dev period and will probably take a good 10+ hours to beat. It's also a full price retail release. I think Colin just has some weird problem with it and refuses to acknowledge it. If they include TLG and Dreams then they have to include GR2, it's actually quite insulting not to. Baffles me!

Neither Colin or Greg have ever been particularly enthusiastic about Gravity Rush in general. Greg gave the first one on Vita a 7.5 back when he was at IGN, but seemed so apathetic towards it that I'm surprised he even scored it that highly. I think they're perfectly happy treating the sequel the same way SCEA is treating it - by pretending the game doesn't exist.

yea I understand that, but I don't think that's the majority of the 5+million people that bought LBP&LBP2. They need to show us the most important (even if it's not) part of the package! And then ease everyone into creating.

I get that. I'm just speaking for myself.

If they just make it a cool 3D platformer, then I think that would be simple and easy enough to get people to understand the game. If they go all abstracty, then, well they know the risk of what they're doing lol.

On one hand, I want them to do what they want, but on another, I'd like it if Shu (or whoever would have that authority) came in and said look, it's cool that you're passionate about creating these super cool create tools and that's cool, but please make the campaign be something that's easily understandable and fairly easily marketable.

I also wish they'd make some kind of memorable main mascot for the game. The fuzzballs are lame.

J-Skee

If Gravity Rush 2 isn't considered "AAA", then maybe we need to change the definition of what a AAA games means or kill the word altogether.

Banned
If Gravity Rush 2 isn't considered "AAA", then maybe we need to change the definition of what a AAA games means or kill the word altogether.
AAA usually has these three things attached to it:

1) Large team
2) Large budget
3) Huge mainstream marketing budget

GR2 seems to have the first component only.
TLG has the first two components but definitely not the marketing budget.

I get that. I'm just speaking for myself.

If they just make it a cool 3D platformer, then I think that would be simple and easy enough to get people to understand the game. If they go all abstracty, then, well they know the risk of what they're doing lol.

On one hand, I want them to do what they want, but on another, I'd like it if Shu (or whoever would have that authority) came in and said look, it's cool that you're passionate about creating these super cool create tools and that's cool, but please make the campaign be something that's easily understandable and fairly easily marketable.

I also wish they'd make some kind of memorable main mascot for the game. The fuzzballs are lame.
yea the avatars are kinda generic...bring back the sack boy!

Neither Colin or Greg have ever been particularly enthusiastic about Gravity Rush in general. Greg gave the first one on Vita a 7.5 back when he was at IGN, but seemed so apathetic towards it that I'm surprised he even scored it that highly. I think they're perfectly happy treating the sequel the same way SCEA is treating it - by pretending the game doesn't exist.

Greg literally said "I LOVE GRAVITY RUSH." How is that being apathetic towards it?

Might the next episode be delayed a day? The speculation is the PSVR review embargo is up on Wednesday morning. Perhaps they'll record as usual, but release the episode a day later.

Edit- Confirmed! No episode on Tuesday due to the PSVR coverage embargo, per Colin and Greg Live.

Maligna

Banned
Might the next episode be delayed a day? The speculation is the PSVR review embargo is up on Wednesday morning. Perhaps they'll record as usual, but release the episode a day later.

Edit- Confirmed! No episode on Tuesday due to the PSVR coverage embargo, per Colin and Greg Live.

Glad to hear this. Didn't want to wait an extra week to hear their impressions.

Banned

The streak is over!

On Twitter, Greg said they were waiting because "a game" is embargoed until Wednesday. Is there a particular VR games we're expecting them to view as a cut above the rest, which would warrant saying "a game" instead of "games" or "PSVR"?

ST2K

On Twitter, Greg said they were waiting because "a game" is embargoed until Wednesday. Is there a particular VR games we're expecting them to view as a cut above the rest, which would warrant saying "a game" instead of "games" or "PSVR"?

Presumably, they're not allowed to say that they're specifically under embargo for PSVR. Thus, the vague term of "game."

Maximo

The streak is over!

man people are saying straight up crazy things about TLG.. "not that interesting", "should have been cancelled"... what in the fuck?

to me it's probabably THE most interesting game of the gen (or two gens lol). as someone who values amazing animations, AI, physics, atmosphere etc more than texture quality or framerate, it's an incredibly fascinating game that i can't wait to experience. i mean, what other game has such a lifelike mystical giant creature as a companion?? IMO it's a wholly unique game, nothing else really seems to compare.

man people are saying straight up crazy things about TLG.. "not that interesting", "should have been cancelled"... what in the fuck?

to me it's probabably THE most interesting game of the gen (or two gens lol). as someone who values amazing animations, AI, physics, atmosphere etc more than texture quality or framerate, it's an incredibly fascinating game that i can't wait to experience. i mean, what other game has such a lifelike mystical giant creature as a companion?? IMO it's a wholly unique game, nothing else really seems to compare.

People would rather climb towers than Tricos.

Does anyone know the PS VR ebargo time, I am off to see Erick Castro (the kinda funny offical bar tender) and his new film in London tommorrow as part of London cocktail week so need to leave at like 1pm GMT 5am PT tomorrow and ideally would like to watch it before i set off. Looking forward to my PSVR next week.

Does anyone know the PS VR ebargo time, I am off to see Erick Castro (the kinda funny offical bar tender) and his new film in London tommorrow as part of London cocktail week so need to leave at like 1pm GMT 5am PT tomorrow and ideally would like to watch it before i set off. Looking forward to my PSVR next week.

Not sure. Giant Bomb has what is most likely an all-day PSVR stream tomorrow starting at 5:00 AM Pacific (their time), which is 8:00 my time, which would be 1:00 PM your time. So, if 5:00AM/8:00AM/1:00PM is the embargo time, sounds like you'd be missing the rush of coverage.

The streak is over!

The streak is over!

What streak? Having an episode every Tuesday? That's been been broken at least twice before now. E3 2016 (where there was no regular numbered episode at all, just PS I Love You XOXO branded interviews) and the live PlayStation meeting episode. Though, we did get two episodes in one day during Paris Games Week last year. Speaking of which, Paris Games Week is at the end of the month.

Top Bottom