• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Maximo

There was a PSVR episode a few weeks ago right? I'm trying to find it on itune Podcast. I think the hosts are going to eat massive crows with how they hyped VR. Always be weary of people pushing new technology saying it will be amazing.

Too many on rail games and plain experiences. I want better traditional games and I would argue most people are the same. It's going to be fun to experience but not to return to for repeated play.

How? They said in multiple Podcasts "VR is legit but if you don't enough disposable income to comfortably buy a PSVR and enough for more tradition and legitimate games then don't* How are they going to eat Crow when they literally say don't bother buying PSVR if it stops you buying more traditional games. They have said yes first year and even a few will just be experiences and fun games that won't be *Wow I need this*, VR has many years before its decent.

jacobeid

Banned
There was a PSVR episode a few weeks ago right? I'm trying to find it on itune Podcast. I think the hosts are going to eat massive crows with how they hyped VR. Always be weary of people pushing new technology saying it will be amazing.

Too many on rail games and plain experiences. I want better traditional games and I would argue most people are the same. It's going to be fun to experience but not to return to for repeated play.

Neither Colin nor Greg really hyped up PS VR. They were both very cautious in warning people about what they were getting themselves into and to keep their expectations in check for getting in on the ground floor. They couldn't go a few minutes without mentioning that if you're expecting games to be released all the time, don't. No idea where you're getting this from.

How? They said in multiple Podcasts "VR is legit but if you don't enough disposable income to comfortably buy a PSVR and enough for more tradition and legitimate games then don't* How are they going to eat Crow when they literally say don't bother buying PSVR if it stops you buying more traditional games. They have said yes first year and even a few will just be experiences and fun games that won't be *Wow I need this*, VR has many years before its decent.

Agreed they have been super up front about what it is and the limitations and that you should only buy if you have the money and know what you are getting which is smaller games/experiences. I can't wait for mine tomorrow but i can afford to fly to Kinda Funny Live from the UK etc so have a lot of disposable income (which i save for big things instead of spending on shit) in fact have not bought a single retail ps4 game this year only 3 lego vita games and a few downloadables and bar VR games dont have one on pre order either. I have enough new games with plus and downloadables like volume that not spent much on games this year till now, and get to blow it all on something i am totally prepared for it to turn into the vita in regards to none indie support, hoping that does not happen but I am half expecting it too, but can still justify the spend.

Edit: nope i was wrong bought No Mans Sky, which i was very happy with again because Greg had explained what it was so that was what i was expecting, damn i wish that was playable in VR, hope the negativity has not killed plans for that (if they existed)

DKHF

Hmm gonna disagree with the guys on something they said on the new episode, I think Sony will again bank on third parties in holiday 2017. They will have Destiny 2, CoD: Advanced Warfare 2 and Battlefront 2. Three third party titans with marketing deals. And I would be surprised if Detroit doesn't come out until October next year. I've been thinking around May or June next year for it. And I highly doubt Days Gone is coming in the first half of next year, I'm not expecting it until the first half of 2018 considering it was only announced at E3 2016 and went into full production in January 2015.

Soi-Fong

That's the thing though, traditional games just ported from a 2D screen to VR does NOT work.

Hmm gonna disagree with the guys on something they said on the new episode, I think Sony will again bank on third parties in holiday 2017. They will have Destiny 2, CoD: Advanced Warfare 2 and Battlefront 2. Three third party titans with marketing deals. And I would be surprised if Detroit doesn't come out until October next year. I've been thinking around May or June next year for it. And I highly doubt Days Gone is coming in the first half of next year, I'm not expecting it until the first half of 2018 considering it was only announced at E3 2016 and went into full production in January 2015.
yup, I'm perfectly fine with Sony's releases this gen, Fall is much to crowded to try and especially buying all these expensive games. Sony should releases in months where they have the media all to themselves.

Days Gone and Spider-Man I think are both 2018, I think maybe God of War or GTS releases next year alongside Horizon and that's it.

Listening to 2nd latest PSILY, disappointed to hear they likely won't be at PSX. Why is this? Did they go to the latest E3 this year? Was kinda hoping they would be there and do their thing.

Listening to 2nd latest PSILY, disappointed to hear they likely won't be at PSX. Why is this? Did they go to the latest E3 this year? Was kinda hoping they would be there and do their thing.

They mentioned something about panels or lack thereof. Just like E3, they'll rehost the conference part in the studio (though, this time in an actual studio!!) and do pre and post-show stuff.

I listed a half dozen things Tomb Raider did first. You're going to have to do better then Naughty Dog did collapsing bridges first because Tomb Raider doesn't have that many and replaced most of them with the butt sliding which Naughty Dog then took.

Hahahaha. You cannot be serious. The Tomb Raider reboot series absolutely takes inspiration from the uncharted games. The controls, game play, climbing mechanics, combat encounters, story driven, cinematic, action set pieces, etc etc . Uncharted was basically a modern version of Tomb Raider. New Tomb Raider is basically uncharted with rpg elements

AndyVirus

I found Colin throwing out the idea of Days Gone being summer 2017 pretty strange. At E3 he thought 2018, then after a discussion with Bend the answer was it could hit 2017. So summer is a very ambitious prediction.

I honestly think they'll have Detroit around September, maybe Crash remaster too, then nothing else (unless Gran Turismo's delay is an entire year). Days Gone, Spider-Man & God of War 2018. It's funny how it's always "next year will be the year!" where Sony has a bucket load of exclusives, but I've already moved on from thinking it'll be 2017 and looking at 2018.

krae_man

Hahahaha. You cannot be serious. The Tomb Raider reboot series absolutely takes inspiration from the uncharted games. The controls, game play, climbing mechanics, combat encounters, story driven, cinematic, action set pieces, etc etc . Uncharted was basically a modern version of Tomb Raider. New Tomb Raider is basically uncharted with rpg elements

You're wrong on the climbing. Tomb Raider 2013 had the pick axe and rope arrows. Uncharted added similar mechanics to those in 4(the grapple and the metal spike) 3 years later. Most of the rest of your list is standard third person fare and/or from old Tomb Raider games.

More story driven gameplay and some set pieces I'll give you but there's more borrowing of ideas coming from the other direction by far.

You're wrong on the climbing. Tomb Raider 2013 had the pick axe and rope arrows. Uncharted added similar mechanics to those in 4(the grapple and the metal spike) 3 years later. Most of the rest of your list is standard third person fare.

More story driven gameplay and some set pieces I'll give you but there's more borrowing of ideas coming from the other direction by far.
Tick for tack...the old Tomb Raider games played nothing like the reboot and they came out after Uncharted had proved success with the big set piece narrative driven gameplay. Anyone trying to deny this obvious inspiration IMO is just rooting for one game over the other.

TR has done some things better than Uncharted, they are both great franchises, but I always find it silly that people get so defensive when gamers imply the reboot was heavily inspired from Uncharted, it's so blatant, but again, who really cares if quality isn't lacking in either games?

jacobeid

Banned
TR has done some things better than Uncharted, they are both great franchises, but I always find it silly that people get so defensive when gamers imply the reboot was heavily inspired from Uncharted, it's so blatant, but again, who really cares if quality isn't lacking in either games?

Fanboys :/

timberger

A Best Friend wants to know if the Switch is the final nail in the Vita's coffin, but Greg and Colin want to know if that happened a long time ago.

Wouldn't that have been when Sony relegated Vita to legacy status?

I was referring to Colin's implication that Tomb Raider was clearly copying Naughty Dog,

It has been since the reboot. Shamelessly so. You're in denial if you think Crystal Dynamics haven't been taking major cues from Uncharted with the last two Tomb Raider games.

krae_man

Wouldn't that have been when Sony relegated Vita to legacy status?

It has been since the reboot. Shamelessly so. You're in denial if you think Crystal Dynamics haven't been taking major cues from Uncharted with the last two Tomb Raider games.

You guys really need to do better then "of course Crystal D is copying Uncharted" and then not giving any examples meanwhile I give several examples of copying the other way around.

I've played Rise since and the Molotov's are clearly taken from The Last of Us so at best they copy each other equally.

Also Tomb Raider did a grapple a year earlier and it works like you think it should instead of "you have to conveniently forget the grapple exists constantly" thing UC4 has going on.

You guys really need to do better then "of course Crystal D is copying Uncharted" and then not giving any examples meanwhile I give several examples of copying the other way around.

I've played Rise since and the Molotov's are clearly taken from The Last of Us so at best they copy each other equally.

Also Tomb Raider did a grapple a year earlier and it works like you think it should instead of "you have to conveniently forget the grapple exists constantly" thing UC4 has going on.
please stop with this tick for tat nonsense.

No one cares, AAA copies each other...who care who copied first?

Also, finally when someone asked a technical question about the PS4 Pro they just said "we don't know we aren't technical people"

Had they just said that a month ago we wouldn't have those 10 pages of PS4 Pro talk.

It's nice to see Colin being positive about a Nintendo product again. Switch looks great to me.

I'm surprised Greg is even considering playing 3rd party games away from the PS4.

Overall, it will be an interesting year with new consoles dropping from all major players. Switch, Scorpio, Pro. Can't wait.

Also, finally when someone asked a technical question about the PS4 Pro they just said "we don't know we aren't technical people"

Had they just said that a month ago we wouldn't have those 10 pages of PS4 Pro talk.

Speaking of PS4 Pro, their guest on the Gamescast last week, Greg Canessa (creator of XBLA), seemed to echo Colin's thoughts more or less. I thought that was interesting, considering his involvement with the video game industry.

Planet

A bit funny that they bring up a question and then are unable to properly answer it. It was if the PS4 Pro can run games at 4K from disc or downloaded only, because it lacks an UHD Blu-ray drive. That is utter nonsense of course, as that has nothing to do with what happens in games (not even in pre-rendered cutscenes). Games are the same downloaded as on disc, all the data is installed to the hard drive.

Colin plainly says he is not the one to answer this, and Greg just says he supposes it probably doesn't matter. Why so vague? You really should know that by now.

Speaking of PS4 Pro, their guest on the Gamescast last week, Greg Canessa (creator of XBLA), seemed to echo Colin's thoughts more or less. I thought that was interesting, considering his involvement with the video game industry.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised about that, but at the same time, he's the guy who created XBLA and is currently working on mobile games so I don't think Graphics are something he clearly cares about.

But I am always perplexed when people are Anti PS4 Pro but Pro Scorpio. Does not make sense to me.

A bit funny that they bring up a question and then are unable to properly answer it. It was if the PS4 Pro can run games at 4K from disc or downloaded only, because it lacks an UHD Blu-ray drive. That is utter nonsense of course, as that has nothing to do with what happens in games (not even in pre-rendered cutscenes). Games are the same downloaded as on disc, all the data is installed to the hard drive.

Colin plainly says he is not the one to answer this, and Greg just says he supposes it probably doesn't matter. Why so vague? You really should know that by now.

Speaking of discs over digital, I know people have said this is technically impossible, but I would love, love, love it, if we had the option to save patch install data if we delete a disc. Installing from discs is so lightning fast (in my opinion), that if it weren't for the need to download patches immediately afterwards, I would simply erase the disc installs, creating a whole bunch of hard drive space. But, the patches are so large now, they absolutely negate the quickness of the disc installs.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised about that, but at the same time, he's the guy who created XBLA and is currently working on mobile games so I don't think Graphics are something he clearly cares about.

But I am always perplexed when people are Anti PS4 Pro but Pro Scorpio. Does not make sense to me.

Also, back when PS4 Pro was revealed, Colin seemed to hint at others in the industry that were iffy on it. I wonder how much, if at all, those opinions helped shape his viewpoint on the system.

Mezoly

I had no interest in Dreams until I got PSVR. Now it's one of my most anticipated games for next year. I had the same thought about it like Colin and Greg but I think it will do pretty well with the VR audience.

I had no interest in Dreams until I got PSVR. Now it's one of my most anticipated games for next year. I had the same thought about it like Colin and Greg but I think it will do pretty well with the VR audience.

Have they ever confirmed VR support. I mean, it's obviously happening, as Anton (who worked with Dr. Marks on Eye Toy, PS Move, and PSVR) now works at Media Molecule, but I'm not sure it was ever technically confirmed that PSVR will work with it.

Mezoly

Have they ever confirmed VR support. I mean, it's obviously happening, as Anton (who worked with Dr. Marks on Eye Toy, PS Move, and PSVR) now works at Media Molecule, but I'm not sure it was ever technically confirmed that PSVR will work with it.
They did confirm it on twitter.

Just a heads up for All European watchers of PSILY, with the clocks changing on sunday everything goes live 1 hour ealier this week, will be back to normal next week when the US change there clocks but if in the UK PSILY will now post at 4pm not 5pm but the nexts weeks episode will be back to normal, this might give you chance to download etc before leaving the office.

They did confirm it on twitter.

Yeah have confirmed VR support to me before on Twitter imagine it is a PSX announcement with the BETA date, yeah Dreams with VR support really intrests me as will basically give us nearly unlimited experiences if the Little Big Planet creators come across could end up with hundreds of thousands of VR games/experiences if not millions this way. The quality of LBP stuff was varied but there was a massive number of amazing creations!

Just a heads up for All European watchers of PSILY, with the clocks changing on sunday everything goes live 1 hour ealier this week, will be back to normal next week when the US change there clocks but if in the UK PSILY will now post at 4pm not 5pm but the nexts weeks episode will be back to normal, this might give you chance to download etc before leaving the office.

I forgot Europeans end DST earlier. I think Europeans will be more thrown off with Colin and Greg Live's start time than anything else Kinda Funny posts.

Edit- Ah, see you covered that in the other Kinda Funny thread.

I forgot Europeans end DST earlier. I think Europeans will be more thrown off with Colin and Greg Live's start time than anything else Kinda Funny posts.

Edit- Ah, see you covered that in the other Kinda Funny thread.

Dont worry did that 1st, just thought was worth adding hear as might give people a chance to download before leaving work that they would not normally be able to. Keep up the good work on the threads

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

Likewise. That game totally makes sense to me now with PSVR.

rubes7844

Banned
Fan writes in about lack of POC in battlefield 1 with a black character on the cover and Colin talks about all the white skin characters and says if the writer even played the game.

krae_man

I hope their panel gets a longer slot at psx, the last one was so rushed

That's because there was no buffer between panels. Every hour long panel was only 40 minutes. 20 minutes of which was the panelists complaining about how badly Sony fucked up the panels.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hahahaa I was waiting for him to finish reading the description to that PSP game with a big smile on my face while I wait for him to voice his reaction.

Top Bottom