• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Man, Colin really got on his soapbox talking about F2P and second-party exclusives. Hearing him just unleash a stream of negativity for what felt like 40 minutes was painful. You'd think PlayStation was about to go bust based on the way he was talking about them.

Yeah that was the worse part of this show. You'd have no idea that the PS4 was the world's leading console.

He totally discounted all VR games when he was saying the PS4 didn't have any exclusvies this year.

Greg is going to be on Geoff Keighley's live stream in about 30 min to talk PS4 Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TANGS8s1n4

Update: interview is over.

Quick Summary:
1. still not sure who PS4 Pro is for
2. were not sent a Pro from Sony, cites their negative reaction to the Pro as the reason
3. not motivated to buy one right now
4. Scorpio's messaging was far better

What messaging from MS is he talking about?! I swear I don't get Colin on this mid gen refresh console thing at all!

All Colin would have to do is read the PS4 PRO offical thread on GAF for 20 minutes to understand who the PRO is for.

EmiPrime

What messaging from MS is he talking about?! I swear I don't get Colin on this mid gen refresh console thing at all!

6TF and "uncompressed" pixels. I think that's literally it.

I still want Scorpio because the PS4 Pro ironically sold me on its potential. Mid-generation refreshes are great! I wish we could have had one last generation instead of having loads of games averaging 25fps, sub 720p and with constant screen tearing. To be in favour of one of the refreshes but not the other makes no sense as they accomplish the same exact thing.

phant0m

A business expense of $400 wouldnt even be a drop in the ocean

Yeah, $400 of the $27,000 a MONTH they make from Patreom would have been a real burden.

Don't blame Sony for not sending one, Colin's negativity about everything is really worn out. Does he even like PlayStation anymore? Or gaming in general?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, $400 of the $27,000 a MONTH they make from Patreom would have been a real burden.

Don't blame Sony for not sending one, Colin's negativity about everything is really worn out. Does he even like PlayStation anymore? Or gaming in general?

You can tell he likes PlayStation, just not like he use to. He keeps saying that Sony has no exclusives, while looking over all Q1 and Q2 exclusive games and all the VR games.

In the console space every VR game is a console exclusive. And at the moment games like Robinson and Rez Infinite are complete exclusives.

Toli08

You can tell he likes PlayStation, just not like he use to. He keeps saying that Sony has no exclusives, while looking over all Q1 and Q2 exclusive games and all the VR games.

In the console space every VR game is a console exclusive. And at the moment games like Robinson and Rez Infinite are complete exclusives.

I still find it hilarious that they keep going with this outdated way of thinking. You don't need exlcusives in the fall season. The big third party games will just over shadow them. I don't understand why these media outlets can't understand that.

I would rather big exclusives be released during Jan-Aug gives you more time to focus on that game.

6TF and "uncompressed" pixels. I think that's literally it.

Yep, that and "True 4k console!1!" rhetoric that they then backpedalled on pretty quickly. This is what apparently constitutes clear messaging to these guys and yet they still can't work out the purpose of a new piece of hardware whose function can be discerned in literally 2 minutes of reading.

It's the same tired goalpost moving as always.

He keeps saying that Sony has no exclusives, while looking over all Q1 and Q2 exclusive games and all the VR games.

Sounds like classic Colin. No mentions of exclusives like DQ Builders, World of FF or TLG I take it?

This "no exclusives" shit that only ever seems to be an issue during 2 months of the year (Even when it isn't an issue) just comes across as desperate at this point.

You realise the money they earn is split between 5 people, right? You also realise they have to pay for expense like rent on the building they work out of, as well as paying for personal expenses such as the apartment Colin and Greg live in? San Francisco is also expensive as hell. They're not nearly as well off as you all think and I don't blame them one second for not buying a console they don't have any interest in.

Why are you guys even upset? What do you expect from a Colin and Greg review of the Pro? They've already demonstrated they have NO IDEA about the technical side of things, so all you would get from a review is "Yeah, the games look nicer."

I think a more important issue is the fact that Colin has clearly already made up his mind over the quality of The Last Guardian. His shitty attitude towards it means even if it was literally the best game of all time, he'd still talk down on it.

Yep, that and "True 4k console!1!" rhetoric that they then backpedalled on pretty quickly. This is what apparently constitutes clear messaging to these guys and yet they still can't work out the purpose of a new piece of hardware whose function can be discerned in literally 2 minutes of reading.

It's the same tired goalpost moving as always.

Sounds like classic Colin. No mentions of exclusives like DQ Builders, World of FF or TLG I take it?

This "no exclusives" shit that only ever seems to be an issue during 2 months of the year (Even when it isn't an issue) just comes across as desperate at this point.
I think in his viewpoint japanese games and psvr games don't count. Oh and also if you release your games outside of the Fall season. Which is bs itself

WaterAstro

You realise the money they earn is split between 5 people, right? You also realise they have to pay for expense like rent on the building they work out of, as well as paying for personal expenses such as the apartment Colin and Greg live in? San Francisco is also expensive as hell. They're not nearly as well off as you all think and I don't blame them one second for not buying a console they don't have any interest in.

Why are you guys even upset? What do you expect from a Colin and Greg review of the Pro? They've already demonstrated they have NO IDEA about the technical side of things, so all you would get from a review is "Yeah, the games look nicer."

I think a more important issue is the fact that Colin has clearly already made up his mind over the quality of The Last Guardian. His shitty attitude towards it means even if it was literally the best game of all time, he'd still talk down on it.

Then they should say "we can't afford it", but they know that's a bullshit answer, especially when they have their fancy new studio.

sora87

I still find it hilarious that they keep going with this outdated way of thinking. You don't need exlcusives in the fall season. The big third party games will just over shadow them. I don't understand why these media outlets can't understand that.

I would rather big exclusives be released during Jan-Aug gives you more time to focus on that game.

The funny thing is Sony do have exclusives this holiday and a shit tonne in january/february.

EmiPrime

The funny thing is Sony do have exclusives this holiday and a shit tonne in january/february.

But they're Japanese and not AAA (whatever that means these days) so I guess they don't count. By some twisted logic new and exclusive entries in the Final Fantasy, Tales, Dragon Quest, Persona, Yakuza, Gravity Rush, Resident Evil (VR) and Kingdom Hearts franchises all being released in the space of 4 months is somehow irrelevant.

Go figure!

You realise the money they earn is split between 5 people, right? You also realise they have to pay for expense like rent on the building they work out of, as well as paying for personal expenses such as the apartment Colin and Greg live in? San Francisco is also expensive as hell.

$27,000 is $5,400 per person split 5 ways.
this is $64k a year per person.

this isn't just good, this is about the average income of a middle class US family of 4. we are talking two working adults feeding and raising two kids. millions of families can manage to get that done on the budget made by ONE of these people, whose job it is to play videogames.

yes they have expenses but so does everyone. plus, it sounds like they make way more than that in free stuff/plane trips/added crowdfunding.

WaterAstro

this isn't just good, this is about the average income of a middle class US family of 4. we are talking two working adults feeding and raising two kids. millions of families can manage to get that done on the budget made by ONE of these people, whose job it is to play videogames.

yes they have expenses but so does everyone. plus, it sounds like they make way more than that in free stuff/plane trips/added crowdfunding.

Again, they get more than what their single Patreon indicates. They have two Patreons, Youtube and Twitch revenues, and whatever business sponsorship deals they have.

FStop7

Banned
If you can't do a $400 capex for your business then your business is bankrupt and you should shut it down.

The money thing is just an excuse. They don't cover the PS4 Pro because they have a problem with it.

leburn98

I do find it strange that Sony didn't send them a unit when they sent a guy like Happy Console Gamer one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da8XiFhts4o

Don't get me wrong, I like HCG but he has nearly half the subscriber base, less viewership and most importantly doesn't have anywhere close to the same dedication or focus towards PlayStation as Kinda Funny Games does. The likely truth is simple: Sony didn't appreciate their negativity towards the reveal and are punishing them for it.

As for whether or not they should purchase one, what does it matter to you? What will Colin and Greg reveal that hasn't already been revealed by dozens of other game media outlets already? As others have pointed out, PS I Love You is not a media site, nor is it a Let's Play channel and it's certainly not a tech channel. Given their stances already, I highly doubt they would have some revelation and bow down to the godly PS4 Pro. They have both said on numerous occasions that they do not care about slightly better resolution, graphics and framerates as long as the game is good. Do you really think playing Titanfall 2 on the PS4 Pro is going to change Colin's opinion from it being overrated to GOTY?

I'm really trying to understand what people are trying to get out of this. It's not like the PS4 Pro is a new platform with new set of exclusives, it's simply a souped-up PS4 that plays the same games as the base model.

dano1

A Sheep
I do find it strange that Sony didn't send them a unit when they sent a guy like Happy Console Gamer one.

Don't get me wrong, I like HCG but he has nearly half the subscriber base, less viewership and most importantly doesn't have anywhere close to the same dedication or focus towards PlayStation as Kinda Funny Games does. The likely truth is simple: Sony didn't appreciate their negativity towards the reveal and are punishing them for it.

As for whether or not they should purchase one, what does it matter to you? What will Colin and Greg reveal that hasn't already been revealed by dozens of other game media outlets already? As others have pointed out, PS I Love You is not a media site, nor is it a Let's Play channel and it's certainly not a tech channel. Given their stances already, I highly doubt they would have some revelation and bow down to the godly PS4 Pro. They have both said on numerous occasions that they do not care about slightly better resolution, graphics and framerates as long as the game is good. Do you really think playing Titanfall 2 on the PS4 Pro is going to change Colin's opinion from it being overrated to GOTY?

I'm really trying to understand what people are trying to get out of this. It's not like the PS4 Pro is a new platform with new set of exclusives, it's simply a souped-up PS4 that plays the same games as the base model.

Well there show is for die hard PlayStation fans. And guess what most of them bought on November 10th. Well there show pissed all over Sonys new pro without even giving it a fair shake!! And it was every time they ( Colin) talked about it. I just don't get it? There just seems to be a lot of negativity in the show now. Maybe it's just me?

Butt I still listen to the show every week!! Greg is awesome and Colin has more gaming knowledge in his little pinky than I do in my whole body!!

Just for clarification they have two Patreons, one at ~$27,000 and one at ~$23,000. They also make money off YouTube ads, Twitch subs and tips, sponsorships and individual hosting gigs (Greg does a lot of them it seems).

I don't see it as a money issue, seems like they aren't covering it because they just don't see why it's a necessary piece of hardware.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Now double that amount (they have two Patreons) and add in all the advertising/subscriber money.

These guys are swimming in cash. But a 399$ console is apparently a bridge too far.

androvsky

Dunno, Torgo from PS Nation has been pretty down on the PS4 Pro, especially before it was formally announced, and Sony sent him one. On the other hand, despite not being thrilled with it he's been going to some effort to cover it, including buying a 4K TV so he could talk about it to his audience. And this is a podcast where the hosts have full-time non-gaming jobs to pay the bills.

newjeruse

64K is barely a living wage in San Francisco.

GOOCHY

You do realize that these guys live in one of the most expensive cities on the planet, right? We all know that this Patreon is not their sole income but, please, recognize that 64K in San Francisco for a single earner is very, very low.

But they're Japanese and not AAA (whatever that means these days) so I guess they don't count. By some twisted logic new and exclusive entries in the Final Fantasy, Tales, Dragon Quest, Persona, Yakuza, Gravity Rush, Resident Evil (VR) and Kingdom Hearts franchises all being released in the space of 4 months is somehow irrelevant.

Go figure!

I think he means first party which I would agree. 1st party studios have put out some amazing ps4 games but at a snails pace and usually never during the holidays. While simultaneously being delayed multiple times. No one is saying that they arent there, they are just saying that they feel scarce at the first party levels and the numerous
Delays have only made it worse. In fact I have a feeling in my gut that horizon is getting pushed back at least one
More time, likely to april or may.

Now double that amount (they have two Patreons) and add in all the advertising/subscriber money.

These guys are swimming in cash. But a 399$ console is apparently a bridge too far.

Come on man, this is irrelevant to the subject at hand really.

I do wonder why Sony never sent them one though.

Edit: Not adding credence to their reasoning, just genuinely curious why Sony wouldn't send one anyway.

Edit: Not adding credence to their reasoning, just genuinely curious why Sony wouldn't send one anyway.

Well, the simple assumption is that Sony is unhappy with how they've covered the Pro and decided to not send them one.

What I would like to know is whether or not Sony had extended to them the invitation to the Pro briefing that Mark Cerny conducted, the one where he explained the technicalities behind the Pro design.

If Sony never extended, then I would say Sony is showing some poor form here, where they never tried to do their own end of the bargain to correct the misconceptions and wrong information that Colin/Greg has of the Pro.

But if they did and they didn't go, then it would mean that they've shown no interest to have their Pro queries and understanding resolved by Sony outside of the poor event messaging, then I could see this as Sony feeling annoyed and decided to cut off a media partner that has showed no interest in being informed of the Pro prior to launch.

Well, the simple assumption is that Sony is unhappy with how they've covered the Pro and decided to not send them one.

What I would like to know is whether or not Sony had extended to them the invitation to the Pro briefing that Mark Cerny conducted, the one where he explained the technicalities behind the Pro design.

If Sony never extended, then I would say Sony is showing some poor form here, where they never tried to do their own end of the bargain to correct the misconceptions and wrong information that Colin/Greg has of the Pro.

But if they did and they didn't go, then it would mean that they've shown no interest to have their Pro queries and understanding resolved by Sony outside of the poor event messaging, then I could see this as Sony feeling annoyed and decided to cut off a media partner that has showed no interest in being informed of the Pro prior to launch.
I am pretty sure they were invited but they decided not to go because they could just watch the stream like everyone else. If they had gone not only could have been among the first people to see it running games first hand but they also would have had the opportunity to ask all their questions too.

I am pretty sure they were invited but they decided not to go because they could just watch the stream like everyone else.

I was referring to the 2nd no-stream press briefing that folks like Digital Foundry and Gamespot were invited to, the one where they hear Mark Cerny in-person explain the nuances of the tech and why it's not a new-generation.

We know KF was invited to the reveal event. We don't know if they were for the 2nd event.

I'm quite looking forward to them going to PSX and seeing the PS4 Pro in action -- something I don't believe they've sampled first-hand just yet. We know they're big fans of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone, and both titles are the best demonstrations of what the new hardware can do.

I just wonder whether they'll be big enough to eat crow, or if this has dragged on so long now that they've practically painted themselves into a corner.

The double-standards on Scorpio -- which we know practically nothing about -- are absolutely hilarious. But there you go...

the1npc

Good, I hope they do. Doesn't mean they're required to run out and buy a bunch of junk they don't want.

A bunch of junk lmao. They cover playstation for a living and they wont even try it. Even if they dislike it TRY one and make a video review or something

I don't know why people are getting so wrapped up with the money aspect, the podcast isn't tied to the gaming patreon, it's the reason they can talk about chicken wings for 30 minutes and laugh off any criticisms, they do this show as a freebie because of their love for PlayStation.

Not to mention Colin has bought both a slim (for his girlfriend) and PSVR (which he pre-ordered, when Sony sent them units he sold it to Kevin) within the past couple months. They're more than happy to give Sony money for hardware, they simply haven't in this instance because they don't feel the need to at this time.

EmiPrime

I think he means first party which I would agree. 1st party studios have put out some amazing ps4 games but at a snails pace and usually never during the holidays. While simultaneously being delayed multiple times. No one is saying that they arent there, they are just saying that they feel scarce at the first party levels and the numerous
Delays have only made it worse. In fact I have a feeling in my gut that horizon is getting pushed back at least one
More time, likely to april or may.

But with all the third party and VR exclusives and the better multi-plats does it matter?

While I really enjoyed Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 and I think they came out at the perfect time for Microsoft, a year with R&C, Uncharted 4 and TLG is no slouch either. The delays don't bother me personally, I have plenty to play on both consoles.

ZarKryn7

A bunch of junk lmao. They cover playstation for a living and they wont even try it. Even if they dislike it TRY one and make a video review or something

mmmm No. Its one of the many things they cover for a living. And from what I understand, this show is not patreon powered. Tim however, is getting the Pro to cover on for his show, the Gamescast, since he's the only one hyped for this.

Anywho, Im definitely seeing quite a lot noncontextual responses here.

The double-standards on Scorpio -- which we know practically nothing about -- are absolutely hilarious. But there you go...
I would be happy for someone to explain it to me. Why does Colin have little to no qualms with Scorpio but a mountainside of qualms with the Pro if the Scorpio and Pro are doing the same thing? I can't help but feel it is another attempt to be hyper critical just for the sake of it.

I would be happy for someone to explain it to me. Why does Colin have little to no qualms with Scorpio but a mountainside of qualms with the Pro if the Scorpio and Pro are doing the same thing? I can't help but feel it is another attempt to be hyper critical just for the sake of it.

It's a "generation leap" (despite the no one left behind spiel Spencer spouted) and Microsoft needs it more... Or something like that. Plus, high-quality pixels.

rardk64

He totally discounted all VR games when he was saying the PS4 didn't have any exclusvies this year.

Because, despite the PSVR selling decently, I'd say there's still a large majority of PS4 owners who don't have PSVR, and therefore don't have many exclusives this holiday.

Zukkoyaki

I love Colin but his complaining (and complaining in general) about the lack of first-party exclusives is just silly when he continuously writes off The Last Guardian, MLB: The Show and Gravity Rush 2. Those are three significant exclusives and it doesn't matter if you care about them or not, they exist and there are people excited to play them. Not every exclusive is going to be an Uncharted or a Gears of War.

I also object to his take on Sony second-party games, collaboration and digital games on PS4 not delivering because there HAVE been a lot of good ones. Any collection of games can be made to look poor if you exclusively focus on the bad ones.

Resogun
Alienation
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Fat Princess Adventures
Bound
Helldivers
Infamous First Light

Sure there have been disappointments like Guns Up, Shadow of the Beast, Killstrain and such but there were disappointments last generation. He's also putting the PS3 digital library on a pedestal. There really were not THAT many great PS3 games and it had a 7-year lifespan compared to the PS4's current 3.

Journey
Flower
Unfinished Swan
Siren Blood Curse
Deadnation
Wipeout HD
Super Stardust HD
Last Guy

His "I don't care about it so clearly nobody does and it isn't good" attitude is getting irritating.

rardk64

Colin had one preordered, then sold it to Kevin after finding out he would be getting a free one, IIRC.

Yeah, if you watched/listened to the podcast, you'd know they've been big believers in VR/PSVR, whereas the Pro they were instantly turned off by the poor announcement messaging (yes, it was poor).

Yeah, if you watched/listened to the podcast, you'd know they've been big believers in VR/PSVR, whereas the Pro they were instantly turned off by the poor announcement messaging (yes, it was poor).

Key difference though is that they tried PlayStation VR and became believers through first-hand experience. They've not even seen what the PS4 Pro can offer yet.

But whatever.

As a longtime fan and supporter I've been annoyed by Colin's misinformation and general negativity.

Now the stance Greg represented means I'm likely going to use my Twitch Prime subscription on someone else because it's kinda ridiculous to be the host of the #1 PlayStation podcast and not cover the Pro. We HAVE been asking for PS4 Pro coverage, too. It's always coming up in twitch chat and on Twitter from time to time.

Maybe there is something going on were not privy to.

EmiPrime

That makes their antipathy to the Pro even more nonsensical given the dramatic improvements to PSVR the Pro brings.

Maybe there is something going on were not privy to.

Given even mid-tier Youtubers got review units that would not surprise me.

Top Bottom