• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

newjeruse

Care to elaborate? I haven't listened to it yet
Maybe it's just me, but I'm so bored with the Tales of Patreon that get re-hashed every other month. Are the business plans for these sites that interesting to fans? I gave both O'Dwyer and PS I Love You money, but I have no interest in hearing the naval-gazing about it.

Huh. Finally Greg commented on the PSN Name Change rumor, after Danny brought it up. Greg said it looks likely, especially because he said someone sent them a leaked PDF. If given the option, would you change your name? I know I don't want to, but I'm beyond thrilled for those that desperately want to.

Demoskinos

I mean PSX is the place you announce something like the name changes. Which I'm guessing will work like Steam where system end your PSN_ID will remain the same but you can change your display name. Which seems like an okay compromise.

Didn't Danny and Colin have a falling out on twitter over Trump winning? First thing I thought when I noticed Colin wasn't here for this lol.

He went home (East Coast) for Thanksgiving.

I mean PSX is the place you announce something like the name changes. Which I'm guessing will work like Steam where system end your PSN_ID will remain the same but you can change your display name. Which seems like an okay compromise.

I think that's how it's being done. Now, I don't know if this is true or not, but some speculated in the PSN Name Change thread that your current name would still show up in older games, but your changed name would properly show in new games. I don't know if that's true or not.

03pp23

Neo Member
Would love to hear predictions you guys have for PSX.

Personally--
-Open it up with Horizon Demo
-Uncharted 4 dlc
-NiNo
-Detriot
-Dreams
-VR games
-Indie games
-SpiderMan
-Red dead 2
----AND PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF GOD ADD NAME CHANGES

Danny and him had words too. Some other people subtweeted him. I counted at least 5-10 friends/former colleagues who had a big problem with how he handled that discussion

The only thing that felt "off" in regards to Colin/Danny was on today's Gamescast (recorded last week). I don't like to speculate using baseless information, but it felt weird that Greg and Tim said they wanted Danny to win, but Colin said he wanted Boogie to win. He did say he thought neither would win, though. I think some people could draw conclusions from that, but I think that is a slippery slope.

Ahh ok that makes sense.

Yeah. He left on Friday. Thursday was his last Colin and Greg Live until he comes back (November 29th, I think).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Latest gog Colin talks a bit at the end about how he didn't like the way he was treated on twitter on election night, how he re-read his tweets looking for what he said wrong (sound familiar gaf? lol), and how people were being crybabies and just upset that they lost.

At least he called out the bullshit Tim has had to endure whenever they talk about politics and Tim chimes in with his thoughts.

colin: "i bow to no man"

Pretty much sums it up. Regardless of the topic...that type of mentality is just going to rub some people the wrong way.

This thread makes it seems that 90% of Kinda Funny fans wished they weren't fans. Like it's some sort of self punishment and misery. That you're also paying them on patreon for...Again, at least if this thread is anything to go by. All that negativity.

schaft0620

This thread makes it seems that 90% of Kinda Funny fans wished they weren't fans. Like it's some sort of self punishment and misery. That you're also paying them on patreon for...Again, at least if this thread is anything to go by.

I think the truth is if it were a bad show people wouldn't care it all.

Demoskinos

Latest gog Colin talks a bit at the end about how he didn't like the way he was treated on twitter on election night, how he re-read his tweets looking for what he said wrong (sound familiar gaf? lol), and how people were being crybabies and just upset that they lost.

At least he called out the bullshit Tim has had to endure whenever they talk about politics and Tim chimes in with his thoughts

colin: "i bow to no man"

Pretty much sums it up. Regardless of the topic...that type of mentality is just going to rub some people the wrong way.

That is fucked up. That's something i can get behind. People do give Tim way too much shit when he speaks up during a serious topic. Just because the guy is a fun loving goofball doesn't mean he can't have opinions or at the very least try to speak up and bounce ideas and questions off others to try to educate himself.

Everyone needs to lay off Tim. He's a good dude. The colin bit there is still eyeroll worthy. How DARE everyone treat Colin poorly or disagree with him! Fuck sake Colin get over yourself.

That is fucked up. That's something i can get behind. People do give Tim way too much shit when he speaks up during a serious topic. Just because the guy is a fun loving goofball doesn't mean he can't have opinions or at the very least try to speak up and bounce ideas and questions off others to try to educate himself.

Everyone needs to lay off Tim. He's a good dude. The colin bit there is still eyeroll worthy. How DARE everyone treat Colin poorly or disagree with him! Fuck sake Colin get over yourself.

Twitter disrespected our dear Colin. APOLOGIZE!

Twitter disrespected our dear Colin. APOLOGIZE!

hqdefault.jpg

It is. Very much so. Tim has only ever said one thing that sort of rubbed me the wrong way and it was not because Tim said it, but it was because I feel like it's something the newer generation feels in general. It was early in Kinda Funny. Tim thought the advancement that companies like Apple were making in phones and whatnot were more important than the work NASA does (especially the attempt to explore the universe). I just feel too many people, especially younger people, are too focused on the now and not the future. They take the short view and not the long view. And if we don't get started, humanity may die off on this planet. If Hawking is right, we don't have all that long, cosmically speaking. None of us alive will be affected by that, but it would be awfully selfish to use that as a reason to ignore the future, even if we won't see the benefits.

Demoskinos

It is. Very much so. Tim has only ever said one thing that sort of rubbed me the wrong way and it was not because Tim said it, but it was because I feel like it's something the newer generation feels in general. It was early in Kinda Funny. Tim thought the advancement that companies like Apple were making in phones and whatnot were more important than the work NASA does (especially the attempt to explore the universe). I just feel too many people, especially younger people, are too focused on the now and not the future. They take the short view and not the long view. And if we don't get started, humanity may die off on this planet. If Hawking is right, we don't have all that long, cosmically speaking. None of us alive will be affected by that, but it would be awfully selfish to use that as a reason to ignore the future, even if we won't see the benefits.

Your right but that's like an entirely other can of worms. ;p

Tim was pretty ignorant on homeless issues too, such as when he couldn't understand why they would rummage through his garbage and recycling for bottles...

This thread makes it seems that 90% of Kinda Funny fans wished they weren't fans. Like it's some sort of self punishment and misery. That you're also paying them on patreon for...Again, at least if this thread is anything to go by. All that negativity.

More like 90% of fans wish Colin wasn't part of Kinda Funny.

pezzie

I did Podcast Beyond for years but never really got into KF or PSILY, and most of that was because of Colin. I guess I just got sick of him, and this was well before the election.

More power to him and his fans, but I'm just tired of the way he acts online. No problems with Greg though, I always loved that goofball.

The most recent Gamescast intro was on point.
"Colin, what have you been up to?"
"Oh nothing, I haven't played anything so I have nothing to add"

I think this is one of the problems with Colin. I used to like him before during his IGN, sure he said outlandish stupid stuff sometimes, but he could back it up with his knowledge about games. Now he doesn't even got that, so now you just got a bitter man trying to be controversial. Like on a Kinda Funny Gamescast video he just sits silent and doesn't say anything, or he hasn't played anything. He just doesn't seem very interested.

jayu26

It was when they were building the studio that he basically admitted he doesn't really do anything. I mean, besides C&G live and the podcasts, what else does he do?
He needs to find another hobby or start writing articles (freelance, maybe ) like he use to at Ign. That was his strength. In depth looks at various Sony first party studios is the best work he has done.

He needs to find another hobby or start writing articles (freelance, maybe ) like he use to at Ign. That was his strength. In depth looks at various Sony first party studios is the best work he has done.

It's unfortunate that they built this amazing studio, and they use it for pretty much the lowest-tier quality content.

I agree with you that I wish they (or Colin) would return to the more focused articles/videos of their IGN days

tdwig

Neo Member

Yeah, I was an extremely long-time listener but in the past year Colin's attitude towards current video games is what made me stop listening. I like Colin, and I understand his "there's more to life than video games" sentiment and that he's feeling a-bit jaded. However, when it's a hobby you are passionate about hearing that every week just got tiring. It felt like the thing I loved was getting pooped on every week, so I just stopped listening and feel I'm happier for it. Maybe I will listen to xoxo again when he's more on board again.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yeah, I was an extremely long-time listener but in the past year Colin's attitude towards current video games is what made me stop listening. I like Colin, and I understand his "there's more to life than video games" sentiment and that he's feeling a-bit jaded. However, when it's a hobby you are passionate about hearing that every week just got tiring. It felt like the thing I loved was getting pooped on every week, so I just stopped listening and feel I'm happier for it. Maybe I will listen to xoxo again when he's more on board again.
He's right about there being more to life than video games, but there isn't more to his job at PSILY and Gamescast. I like listening to Colin and I'm not going to get on the ridiculous hate train that this thread has become, but if he needs time to check out and stick to the GoG show for now, I'd be happy for him to do that.

The more he continues his current disinterest in the gaming side of his job, the more the resentment towards him is going to spiral out of control, and I really don't want to see that. I'd rather he took a break, got re-energised and came back with the ability to talk in breadth and depth about the games he's playing.

Zukkoyaki

I wish Colin talked more about Headlander... He said on Twitter he really like it but that was about it. I trust his opinion on 2D action and platformer games more than anybody.

Maximo

That may be hyperbole, but his popularity has certainly tanked.
Has it? I mean if it had surely patreon numbers would drop but this month it's only increased despite the vocal few who said they stopped after Collins political rants.Kinda Funny Social media numbers and Collins own hasn't seemed to take a hit so really it's just a minority at this point that isn't effecting them.

This is so frustrating, Your job is to be knowledgable and be able to speak about games, so is it really that hard to find a minuscule amount of time in your week to play one game?

I think this is one of the problems with Colin. I used to like him before during his IGN, sure he said outlandish stupid stuff sometimes, but he could back it up with his knowledge about games. Now he doesn't even got that, so now you just got a bitter man trying to be controversial. Like on a Kinda Funny Gamescast video he just sits silent and doesn't say anything, or he hasn't played anything. He just doesn't seem very interested.
He doesn't just do it on the Gamescast, he does it on GameOverGreggy too. Most of the topics result in the other guys talking for the entire video, then Greg realises Colin hasn't even said a single word so he asks him for his opinion. Colin then speaks for a minute or so and that's the end. Having Kevin on the show would be better value at this point.

It was when they were building the studio that he basically admitted he doesn't really do anything. I mean, besides C&G live and the podcasts, what else does he do?
He used to do the Social Media, but that has dropped off hard so I can't see that taking up much of his time. Honestly, outside of the 6 or so hours it takes to record the three podcasts and the hour and a half each morning for Colin & Greg Live, what the heck does he do with his time? Seems like he'd just be bumming around for most of the day.

5olid_5nake

To be honest I have been following Kinda Funny since they started, and then watched all GOG shows before that since I really enjoyed their chemistry and I also really like Colins view on things (and he has really interesting topics).

That said, I have been watching Kinda Funny Gamescast from the very beginning and more than once I have been annoyed at Colins lack of interest in games. I speak only as a guy who doesn't know them as a Beyond crew, but as a Kinda Funny one, so I can't claim that he has changed since then or anything. Maybe he has always been this way, I really don't know.

To be perfectly clear, I don't want him to force himself to talk and to play games if he doesn't want to, but since he is one of the pillars of Kinda Funny Gamescast/PS I love You and he profits from that on patreon, I think it's just not fair to the other people who pay every month and want to see more of him. I would more prefer that when he doesn't want to talk or doesn't have inspiration that they simply invite other guests (more than the usual).

That may be hyperbole, but his popularity has certainly tanked.

More like 90% of fans wish Colin wasn't part of Kinda Funny.

Nah this is definitely not true.

A lot of the time, (even with other topics like politics or niche games), people get misled into thinking GAF is representative of what a majority opinion is, but that's because people end up discussing in an echo chamber where the opinion being bounced around is thought to be the 'universal' truth. Now I'm indifferent to that either way, but it's just something I observed; for better or worse, that's not my point.

What my point is, is that their fanbase is growing, and GAF is definitely the vocal minority when it comes to some of their 'controversies' in the past few months -- with some very casual fans (or some that aren't at all but may have just heard of them) that may have dropped by to add their "2 cents" (some of which has been quite mean spirited against their Patreon with misconstructed truth -- the misleading thread about KF not covering the PS4 Pro is a testament to that) to what they think of the KF crew, specifically Greg and Colin. Anyhow, I digress.

Not that there hasn't been valid criticism from some core fans here on GAF, but it's definitely not representative of what the KF fanbase thinks of them. You only have to look to the forums, Twitter or C&G live for the general reception, and their view counts.

This is so frustrating, Your job is to be knowledgable and be able to speak about games, so is it really that hard to find a minuscule amount of time in your week to play one game?

He doesn't just do it on the Gamescast, he does it on GameOverGreggy too. Most of the topics result in the other guys talking for the entire video, then Greg realises Colin hasn't even said a single word so he asks him for his opinion. Colin then speaks for a minute or so and that's the end. Having Kevin on the show would be better value at this point.

He used to do the Social Media, but that has dropped off hard so I can't see that taking up much of his time. Honestly, outside of the 6 or so hours it takes to record the three podcasts and the hour and a half each morning for Colin & Greg Live, what the heck does he do with his time? Seems like he'd just be bumming around for most of the day.

He's repeated this ad-nauseum, and I've definitely came to sympathise with him in the past year as I've entered medical school -- you should never be obliged to play games if you're not feeling a certain genre or what's "hot" right now. No one should be a slave to games, and sometimes tastes change, and motivation comes and goes. And just because he hasn't played certain games you were fond of (I've definitely seen this criticism against his apathy for some JRPGs) it doesn't mean he hasn't played other games and given his opinion on those. He always plays games -- just not the ones you'd like to see him talk about (just look at his trophy lists or any of the 'what have you been playing' segments.

And your last comment is one hell of an assumption. You shouldn't really try and judge people on their schedule or what they might be doing -- not only do any of us have any insight into what goes on in their personal lives or KF work day schedule, but it'd be unproductive to do so.

Anyway, he's gone back to his family for Thanksgiving so that adds to it as well.

Top Bottom