• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

so what's this new ColinWasRight show gonna be about

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a show in the style of A Conversation with Colin, except instead of random topics he'll select the topics. It'll basically be Colin's Soapbox, which is literally the worst idea ever.

AmyS

This is for all Mark Cerny fans, While It's not much at all, it is some recognition from Electronic Gaming Monthly's forerunner in the late 80s, Electronic Game Player magazine -- And so you get some context of the blurb, with the magazine, date and article this is from.

Missile Defense 3-D
(Sega/Sega Master System

Though it has been a topic for many years, the concept of true 3-D video games for the home has become a reality with the release of Sega's premier 3-D effort, Missile Defense 3-D. Designed by programming genius Mark Cerny, Missile Defense 3-D uses multiple peripherals (the Sega 3-D glasses and the Light Phaser) to bring off the effect and, contrary to the results of the Nintendo unit, the 3-D imagery produced by this cart does indeed work!

PzIv8Le.jpg
A0MN9Kl.jpg

8I6Kkst.jpg
0KS0Um7.jpg
kgRTUdr.jpg

:)

Servbot24

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a show in the style of A Conversation with Colin, except instead of random topics he'll select the topics. It'll basically be Colin's Soapbox, which is literally the worst idea ever.

It could go either way. If he just repeats the rants we've heard before from him I won't bother

It bums me out to say this, but, lately it seems like Colin is actually becoming more and more like the caricature of himself that people who dislike him had been (wrongly) claiming he was for years.

This knee-jerk hatred of FF15 is off-putting. I still like the guy and will keep listening, but it's not a good look.

Then again, I can't deny that he is still entertaining for me to listen to, he certainly isn't boring lol.

Yea I don't know what it is lately. Colin was always one of my favorite internet personalities, but lately he has been extremely negative and coming off as close-minded. It's like he refuses to even give any FF past IX a chance. He talks so much shit about X, but barely played more than a few hours. He's still one of my favorites, but he's been tough to listen to lately

overview of the new show colin was right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmVWwYjLVM

colin reading off a prompter sounds off. he does much better speaking off the cuff.

The first of the three pilot episodes is available to Patrons right now. If you support Kinda Funny Games at $1 (the minimum), you get access to them. They will release throughout the month. In January the first non-Patreon episodes will release. The first episode is about
remasters
. I spoiled that in case you want to go in with no preconceptions about the topic.

MrS

Banned
Looking forward to Colin Was Right and its Jimquisition influence. Can't listen to Tim and Greg anymore, I'm afraid - they're too irksome.

plidex

It's interesting how he mentions Jim Sterling as an inspiration.

To them it may seem like saying "Colin was right" is similar to how Jim says "thanks god for me", but the big difference is how Jim clearly plays a character and Colin is just being himself. That changes the tone in a significant way.

Ramblings aside, I think doing that "show" suits Colin, and it can be a good way of providing some meaningful content.

I worry it will just be ranting and raving over the same topics he has gone over several times.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I used to listen to beyond all the time because of these guys. I like PS I Love You Xoxo, but things have definitely changed.

Maybe they are doing too many shows now, maybe my tastes have changed, but something changed.

It seems to me that they haven't been "corrupted" by power, but their attitude is more "we are special people now."

When they reveal the knew about a game, like knack and Spiderman, their time is just, "yea we knew about that cuz we are aweaome."

Still like the show but their attitudes have definitely changed in a negative way.

I used to listen to beyond all the time because of these guys. I like PS I Love You Xoxo, but things have definitely changed.

Maybe they are doing too many shows now, maybe my tastes have changed, but something changed.

It seems to me that they haven't been "corrupted" by power, but their attitude is more "we are special people now."

When they reveal the knew about a game, like knack and Spiderman, their time is just, "yea we knew about that cuz we are aweaome."

Still like the show but their attitudes have definitely changed in a negative way.

Yeah between attitudes like that and things like the Kinda Funny Animated Series, they really seem to enjoy celebrating themselves.

timberger

It bums me out to say this, but, lately it seems like Colin is actually becoming more and more like the caricature of himself that people who dislike him had been (wrongly) claiming he was for years.

Or maybe they were right about him all along and he's just getting worse at hiding it?

Maoyama

Banned
Yeah between attitudes like that and things like the Kinda Funny Animated Series, they really seem to enjoy celebrating themselves.

I listened to them for 4 years on beyond and gave PSXOXO like 6 months time until I bailed out. I ended up unfollowing them on twitter and unfollowing KF as well. I dont know what has changed, but I cant stand the 4 of them anymore,. And honestly until I saw this thread pop up I havent even wondered what their opinion on anything is for the past months or so

alemmon

I listened to them for 4 years on beyond and gave PSXOXO like 6 months time until I bailed out. I ended up unfollowing them on twitter and unfollowing KF as well. I dont know what has changed, but I cant stand the 4 of them anymore,. And honestly until I saw this thread pop up I havent even wondered what their opinion on anything is for the past months or so

You know... it pains me to say this, but I used to love these guys. Thats not to say that they bring some valid takes on things to the table, however... I really feel like Tim is the one that loves video games and is more excited about them than Greg or Colin. Colin's dismissive nature of FFXV and TLG has turned me off quite a bit. Thats not to say that he is not entitled to his opinion, but I really feel like he never gave these 2 games a chance. Especially FFXV. A game in which he has claimed that he loves the franchise.

I dont know... there was a time in which these guys felt like they loved games a lot more than they do now. Colin, I think loves the business of games and less than the games themselves and Greg loves the community of gamers. Tim seems to be the one that loves games the most.

I have been listening to these guys and Easy Allies and EZA seems to be hitting the right spot where these guys make me feel less excited about things. Just my opinion. I will still listen to the podcast because I do like their take on Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and FPS games.

Mezoly

You know... it pains me to say this, but I used to love these guys. Thats not to say that they bring some valid takes on things to the table, however... I really feel like Tim is the one that loves video games and is more excited about them than Greg or Colin. Colin's dismissive nature of FFXV and TLG has turned me off quite a bit. Thats not to say that he is not entitled to his opinion, but I really feel like he never gave these 2 games a chance. Especially FFXV. A game in which he has claimed that he loves the franchise.

I dont know... there was a time in which these guys felt like they loved games a lot more than they do now. Colin, I think loves the business of games and less than the games themselves and Greg loves the community of gamers. Tim seems to be the one that loves games the most.

I have been listening to these guys and Easy Allies and EZA seems to be hitting the right spot where these guys make me feel less excited about things. Just my opinion. I will still listen to the podcast because I do like their take on Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and FPS games.

I agree with you here. Kinda Funny became my destination to hear about the business of games not actual critique of games with the exception of Tim. Who like you said is actually playing and reviewing games. I like EZA a lot especially their reviews, but I didn't like their podcast a lot. The constant rotating members made the podcast chemistry a little low for me.

alemmon

I agree with you here. Kinda Funny became my destination to hear about the business of games not actual critique of games with the exception of Tim. Who like you said is actually playing and reviewing games. I like EZA a lot especially their reviews, but I didn't like their podcast a lot. The constant rotating members made the podcast chemistry a little low for me.

I actually love the EZA podcast. Yeah I would love a more consistent panel on the podcast but then again, I love the different voices each week. I seriously love each member of the EZA crew.

As for this weeks PS I Love You.. I really wish that Colin would actually give FFXV a fair chance. He seems to shake it off like, who cares. As someone who always boasts about his love for RPG's, I feel that FFXV is a major milestone for JRPG's and something that should be experienced for JRPG fans.

killroy87

I actually love the EZA podcast. Yeah I would love a more consistent panel on the podcast but then again, I love the different voices each week. I seriously love each member of the EZA crew.

As for this weeks PS I Love You.. I really wish that Colin would actually give FFXV a fair chance. He seems to shake it off like, who cares. As someone who always boasts about his love for RPG's, I feel that FFXV is a major milestone for JRPG's and something that should be experienced for JRPG fans.

I don't really need him to give it a fair chance, he can do and play what he wants. I just don't like when they speak in such a declarative fashion about something they openly say they haven't given a fair chance.

I haven't put more than 30 minutes into a Madden game in about 6 years, but I'm not about to go on record saying they're shit games.

AmuroChan

I don't really need him to give it a fair chance, he can do and play what he wants. I just don't like when they speak in such a declarative fashion about something they openly say they haven't given a fair chance.

I haven't put more than 30 minutes into a Madden game in about 6 years, but I'm not about to go on record saying they're shit games.

Yea, I do find that a little off-putting. Yes, Colin was a big JRPG fan and have played most of the classic JRPGs, but he clearly doesn't play that many JRPGs anymore. He was never going to like FFXV. He was very lukewarm on it from the very beginning. Him putting a few hours into the game wasn't going to change that opinion.

jennetics

It's something I'm noticing more and more with Colin.

Whether you want to play a game or not is your prerogative (a Colin word :D), but damn man, don't be dismissive about stuff you're not willing to try.

Zukkoyaki

Loved the discussion on Bruce Straley's absence. Greg seems to share the feeling around GAF that he's going to return and helm Naughty Dog's next big IP.

alemmon

Completely fair point. And I think you said what I wanted to say more eloquently.

Yea, I do find that a little off-putting. Yes, Colin was a big JRPG fan and have played most of the classic JRPGs, but he clearly doesn't play that many JRPGs anymore. He was never going to like FFXV. He was very lukewarm on it from the very beginning. Him putting a few hours into the game wasn't going to change that opinion.

Yeah it disappoints me as well. I'm sure we are going to keep hearing about the Final Fantasy curse for a long time.

P.S I'm going to say take Colin's prediction of when a game is going to release and shave off a year.

Servbot24

Banned
Colin played FFXV for 8 hours. That is more than enough. If you don't like a game after 8 hours you have every right to turn it off. "Just waste an entire day of your life and then the game will start to be good" is such a stupid excuse for a game, especially when there are tons of games that are enjoyable from the start.

Anyhow, even though I respect their right to not enjoy The Last Guardian... god damn does it hurt my soul to listen to. The game is so fucking good.

Mengetsu

Colin played FFXV for 8 hours. That is more than enough. If you don't like a game after 8 hours you have every right to turn it off. "Just waste an entire day of your life and then the game will start to be good" is such a stupid excuse for a game, especially when there are tons of games that are enjoyable from the start.

Anyhow, even though I respect their right to not enjoy The Last Guardian... god damn does it hurt my soul to listen to. The game is so fucking good.
I played Journey because they hyped it up since Beyond on how great the game was. I got it and was bored halfway through it. TLG is better experience than that game that was supposed to make me feel sad. I finished it and was like that's it? I feel for bird dog and child much more than that game.

Mezoly

I'm more surprised that Colin said he was intrigued by it tbh.
I loved TLG and it's one of my favorite games this Gen.
I want to sit next to some of the people who had the same experience as Greg did(Which is a lot of people looking at the Gaf OT) and see if they are getting really unlucky or they are just spamming commands or just don't have the patience for Trico.
I think if the game controlled the way Greg thought it would for him, this game would've' been one of Greg favorite games of the year.

plidex

He has been insinuating for a long time that FFXV is not an FF game. He has ranted about Tabata saying there is a "Final Fantasy disease".

I played Journey because they hyped it up since Beyond on how great the game was. I got it and was bored halfway through it. TLG is better experience than that game that was supposed to make me feel sad. I finished it and was like that's it? I feel for bird dog and child much more than that game.

Same thing happened to me with Journey, but to be fair, so many people hyped Journey.

I want to sit next to some of the people who had the same experience as Greg did(Which is a lot of people looking at the Gaf OT) and see if they are getting really unlucky or they are just spamming commands or just don't have the patience for Trico.
I think if the game controlled the way Greg thought it would for him, this game would've' been one of Greg favorite games of the year.

He says he is intrigued or that he wants to like a game so he can later criticize the game without looking like he is not being fair. He did the same with FFXV.

sora87

I mean, I complained a lot about the controls initially in the OT, I was frustrated a lot at first, but it started to click for me about half way through and that's when the game really picks up imo and goes from being good and interesting to outstanding and compelling. I'm glad I didn't let myself get too frustrated because it's such a unique experience unlike any other this year, even this gen.

maverick40

This is most certainly not true. The dude is on my PSN friends list and he is always playing some game

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I gave the podcast a listen for the first time in weeks, I turned it off halfway through. I was a huge fan but I just can't put my finger on why I don't like it anymore. I'm thinking that there's an overall atmosphere of cynicism that's putting me off, but I can't say for sure.

I was recommended Waypoint radio by a few people earlier in the thread, and they were absolutely on the money. A fantastic podcast with some very well informed, enthusiastic conversation between the hosts.

maverick40

I gave the podcast a listen for the first time in weeks, I turned it off halfway through. I was a huge fan but I just can't put my finger on why I don't like it anymore. I'm thinking that there's an overall atmosphere of cynicism that's putting me off, but I can't say for sure.

I was recommended Waypoint radio by a few people earlier in the thread, and they were absolutely on the money. A fantastic podcast with some very well informed, enthusiastic conversation between the hosts.

This episode there was very little cynicism though. It was an episode about mere speculation.

I think people are just finding tiny things to put this podcast down.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This episode there was very little cynicism though. It was an episode about mere speculation.

I said it was an air of cynicism, I'm not referencing any one particular quote or incident. This comes from the general attitude of the hosts IMO but, like I said, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I think people are just finding tiny things to put this podcast down.

There have been plenty of easy to find, large issues that people can use to put the podcast down if they wanted to.

rackham

Banned
Agree with Colin and Greg about The Last Guardian. They even touched on how people might like it more just because they feel like they need to. Mediocre game.

Also agree with some people here about how it's kind of grating how these guys spend a lot of time celebrating themselves. Not only is it a complete bore to listen to, it also makes them sound like classless assholes.

Agree with Colin and Greg about The Last Guardian. They even touched on how people might like it more just because they feel like they need to. Mediocre game.

Also agree with some people here about how it's kind of grating how these guys spend a lot of time celebrating themselves. Not only is it a complete bore to listen to, it also makes them sound like classless assholes.
I don't see the need for that. They simply enjoy the game.

"People like something that I find mediocre/poor/etc...? They are probably forcing themselves to like it"

Just stop.

Markitron

So what you are saying is that because you don't like it, anyone that does like it is just lying to themselves. OK.gif

Did they actually say this on the podcast??

rackham

Banned
in my opinion it's mediocre. They said something along the lines of people maybe willing to look past the flaws because of the wait for the game- or something like that.

I don't agree with people hating on them or saying they're being negative just because they don't really like the gameplay

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
in my opinion it's mediocre. They said something along the lines of people maybe willing to look past the flaws because of the wait for the game- or something like that.

I don't agree with people hating on them or saying they're being negative just because they don't really like the gameplay

Even with the technical and control issues (I personally had little problem controlling the boy or camera) the game is a masterpiece. Call it a flawed masterpiece if you want but the game was excellent. The level design is on par if not better than the Souls games, the set pieces put Uncharted 4's to shame, the music was subdued but still fantastic, the art style is amazing and things like the incredible use of physics, Trico being a fantastic achievement in character animation, physics puzzles that brought back memories of Half Life 2. Not many games compare to what the TLG did whether you like it or not.

prwxv3

This is bull. Colin even said the opposite could be true.

killroy87

Even with the technical and control issues (I personally had little problem controlling the boy or camera) the game is a masterpiece. Call it a flawed masterpiece if you want but the game was excellent. The level design is on par if not better than the Souls games, the set pieces put Uncharted 4's to shame, the music was subdued but still fantastic, the art style is amazing and things like the incredible use of physics, Trico being a fantastic achievement in character animation, physics puzzles that brought back memories of Half Life 2. Not many games compare to what the TLG did whether you like it or not.

Haha, I'm a TLG fan, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you won't convince him.

And again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Both this guy here and Colin are mooooooore than welcome to not love TLG, or any game. but how they present that opinion matters, both in how it makes them look and how seriously others will take them. Colin inferring that reviewers might be unable to present a fair opinion because of god know what (hype maybe?) is a dickish thing to say, especially as he's a former critic haha. And this guy saying "people might like it more just because they feel like they need to" is a similarly dickish thing to say, that will just make whatever actual opinions he has be taken less seriously.

prwxv3

Haha, I'm a TLG fan, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you won't convince him.

And again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Both this guy here and Colin are mooooooore than welcome to not love TLG, or any game. but how they present that opinion matters, both in how it makes them look and how seriously others will take them. Colin inferring that reviewers might be unable to present a fair opinion because of god know what (hype maybe?) is a dickish thing to say, especially as he's a former critic haha. And this guy saying "people might like it more just because they feel like they need to" is a similarly dickish thing to say, that will just make whatever actual opinions he has be taken less seriously.

TBf he also said that critics could be more hard on it because of its dev history.

rackham

Banned

I own the game and have played 6 hours of it. While I appreciate the concept, art and animation, the actual gameplay, imo, is awful. Trico is buggy and doesn't react or move to spots properly if he's not on the right spot or position. It all leaves a bad feeling in my stomach after 10 minutes of commanding Trico to get up on to a ledge and trying it multiple ways. Climbing on Trico feels awful too. Pushing up left or right never feels like you're actually going the direction you want.

So I like everything about TLG but the game itself is so frustrating and annoying that I feel like it is mediocre. It's a game at the end of the day. I play games on the hardest difficulty and standing in one spot throwing around commands for minutes for Trico to be in an awkward position and not listening to you is not a good game imo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I own the game and have played 6 hours of it. While I appreciate the concept, art and animation, the actual gameplay, imo, is awful. Trico is buggy and doesn't react or move to spots properly if he's not on the right spot or position. It all leaves a bad feeling in my stomach after 10 minutes of commanding Trico to get up on to a ledge and trying it multiple ways. Climbing on Trico feels awful too. Pushing up left or right never feels like you're actually going the direction you want.

So I like everything about TLG but the game itself is so frustrating and annoying that I feel like it is mediocre. It's a game at the end of the day. I play games on the hardest difficulty and standing in one spot throwing around commands for minutes for Trico to be in an awkward position and not listening to you is not a good game imo.

To each their own but I had no major issues controlling Ico, the boy or advancing through the game. It's a game of patience. Even when Trico is following your command to a T it can take it 20 to 30 seconds to take action. This goes especially for tricky jumps in cramped spaces. Obviously could be a bug at times, its happened but the game plays as intended and I wouldn't be watching speed runs of the game aiming to beat it under 5 hours if it there was a total failure of its gameplay elements.

Eh, i hink you guys are being a little hard on this episode. Collin has said plenty that i dont like but i dont blame him or greg at all for not liking the game and not understanding the appeal.

The only thing he said that was out of line was " i dont see why this wouldnt work on ps3". Hes not a programmer so i dont know why he would even say that.

Having completed the game, you should never be spending minutes trying to get Trico to follow your commands. He's not anywhere near as stubborn as I thought he'd be pre-release. It actually sounds like you my be bombarding him with commands and that just ends up confusing him. Since he isn't like an AI controlled character in other games where you just select a command and he automatically does it no matter how many times you input it during a short period of time. If you just select a single command he should follow your orders right away. Now given how big he is it makes take a few seconds, but that's all it should take.

alemmon

This is most certainly not true. The dude is on my PSN friends list and he is always playing some game

And Greg is always streaming to be a part of the community. I am not saying they dont love games, I am simply saying that Tim seems to be the one that loves games the most. He always has an opinion on every game because he plays everything! Colin, while I respect his opinion openly states that he is more interested in using his free time to do other things like watch football (I am not saying thats a bad thing). Colin loves the industry and the business of it. He loves seeing how the market reacts.

I used to always defend these guys, especially with the whole PS4Pro debacle because I said it was all about the games. Them being the "#1 Playstation Podcast" and being so dismissive of tent pole titles like FFXV and TLG, I feel out of touch with them now. I understand when they dont really talk about GT Sport or MLB The Show because those arent their types of games, BUT FFXV is Colin's type of game!

Greg always talks about being part of the conversation with games, and it seems like the conversation is with FFXV and TLG. Sorry for the rant. I just feel like I may be done with these guys.

Curufinwe

Eh, i hink you guys are being a little hard on this episode. Collin has said plenty that i dont like but i dont blame him or greg at all for not liking the game and not understanding the appeal.

The only thing he said that was out of line was " i dont see why this wouldnt work on ps3". Hes not a programmer so i dont know why he would even say that.

Making ignorant pronouncements like that is what he does.

Agree with Colin and Greg about The Last Guardian. They even touched on how people might like it more just because they feel like they need to.

I think that type of behavior is more noticeable with people who donated to these guys, and are pretending to themselves that the product is still worth consuming.

Top Bottom