• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

plidex

The podcast is just one thing in there daily work. The love doing it. But you know some days even the things you love doing sucks.

At IGN my guess is that Podcasts were not priority from above. It was the staffs passion projects. There were no money to be made. You can not be negative against your own projects in corporate environment. You can't be honest.

They are clearly talented and I believe you don't understand how much work they put down on there work.

Nope, I don't understand it.

jacobeid

Banned
This is something I noticed recently about both Colin and Greg. They often seem to be asked the same questions or talk about the same topics and literally repeat the same things word for word. It is like the podcasts are getting stale.

Oh it's been stale. They say the same things about the same topics over and over and over and over like a skipping record.

My weekly podcast regimen has greatly improved ever since I cut PSILY and the KF Gamescast from my downloads.

ByWatterson

Was watching their take on the new Telltale Batman. Greg started by talking about how cool the story was, and how you could live your own particular Batman.

Colin responded by talking about how bad the engine was, and went on forever.

Guy's a wet blanket who just ruins any good vibes whatsoever. Then it's Horizon's overexposed, didn't want to see TLOU2 trailer, wish they weren't hyping Death Stranding.

Just staahhhhp.

pager99

I can't take colin and gregs tastes in gaming seriously,I mean theres two types of gamers in the world those rhat like souls series and those that are wrong ,souls are the pinnacle and epitome of gaming I seriously thought at least colin would know better

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Was watching their take on the new Telltale Batman. Greg started by talking about how cool the story was, and how you could live your own particular Batman.

Guy's a wet blanket who just ruins any good vibes whatsoever. Then it's Horizon's overexposed, didn't want to see TLOU2 trailer, wish they weren't hyping Death Stranding.

Just staahhhhp.

Granted, Colin goes on and on about the same stuff but at the same time, I agree with it because he's right. TTG needs to fix their fucking engine. Horizon is close to being overexposed if it hasn't been already. TLOU Part II trailer wasn't needed or wanted by me at all. It was pretty much a given that it was going to happen but to be teased for a game that's easily almost three years away isn't a good thing. And yeah, Sony is overhyping Death Stranding. Seriously, a YEAR after signing Kojima and the game hasn't even started development yet??? You've got to be kidding me??? Kojima needs to go the fuck away and just develop the damn game and when it's within six months of being released, he can show it again. Right now, im losing interest in him and the game the more they talk about it and the more they show it.

RoKKeR

I can't take colin and gregs tastes in gaming seriously,I mean theres two types of gamers in the world those rhat like souls series and those that are wrong ,souls are the pinnacle and epitome of gaming I seriously thought at least colin would know better
You've got to be kidding me with this shit.

schaft0620

Just staahhhhp.

Why review a game and not talk about its faults?

Yeah, Colin's a broken record. I mean, to some extent, he's always been like that, but when they were at IGN, having to review games and be in an office full of game enthusiasts kept him more knowledgeable and his opinions more well rounded. Plus, he was only doing one episode of Beyond a week and that was that. Now he only plays what he wants (which isn't much) and only hears Greg and Tim's opinions. Then he has to appear on two gaming podcasts a week plus a daily live show, and that's when you start hearing the same opinion over and over again.

Jotaka

Because most of time its just Greg and Colin... you already know what they gonna say most of time.

That's why EZA/GiantBomb are better because they have a bigger crew therefore more diverse opinions.

jacobeid

Banned
Yeah, Colin's a broken record. I mean, to some extent, he's always been like that, but when they were at IGN, having to review games and be in an office full of game enthusiasts kept him more knowledgeable and his opinions more well rounded. Plus, he was only doing one episode of Beyond a week and that was that. Now he only plays what he wants (which isn't much) and only hears Greg and Tim's opinions. Then he has to appear on two gaming podcasts a week plus a daily live show, and that's when you start hearing the same opinion over and over again.

Nobody at Kinda Funny has the balls to challenge Colin when his psuedo-masculinity "let me get on my high horse" talks begin. Goldfarb used to be an excellent balance because he just legitimately wasn't afraid to tell Colin if he was being ridiculous. Greg just shuts down and lets Colin preach nonsense over and over.

You guys are burning yourselves out. Watching all the content they put out isn't a good idea because of course there's going to be severe overlap between KF Games, PSILY, and the daily stream. Just watch one or skip through after the fact. Watching that amount of content from any group is going to make you hate them.

I actually stopped watching all of their content for the past few months and couldn't be happier.

The problem is that if you ever listened to Beyond then that's all you needed to hear half the shit repeated. I can't even imagine how much overlap of the same points I'd get if I watched all of their shows, but simply listening to Beyond and then migrating with them to PS ILY is just a broken record. I didn't miss listening to the podcast this month. First time in about 5 (6?) years.

firelogic

You guys are burning yourselves out. Watching all the content they put out isn't a good idea because of course there's going to be severe overlap between KF Games, PSILY, and the daily stream. Just watch one or skip through after the fact. Watching that amount of content from any group is going to make you hate them.

I actually stopped watching all of their content for the past few months and couldn't be happier.

Agreed. I only ever watch their PS I Love You, and even that, it's selective topics.

This is a group that has got ideas, implemented them and did not consider the overlap and how it will affect their viewers in a negative way, in terms of repetition and actual content. It's become diffuse; they just need to trim the fat or reformulate the shows so as to avoid repetition to those –– admittedly crazy –– people that watch everything they put out.

Mengetsu

Nobody at Kinda Funny has the balls to challenge Colin when his psuedo-masculinity talks begin. Goldfarb used to be an excellent balance because he just legitimately wasn't afraid to tell Colin if he was being ridiculous. Greg just shuts down and let's Colin peach nonsense over and over.
I was trying to pin it on the nose for while since I stopped watching the show, and this is the perfect answer. It feels like since Greg is the only co host he just let's colin go on a tirade about anything with no rebuttal or disagreement.

It sucks because now I have just stopped watching all the Kinda Funny stuff with the exception of the Star Wars Gary Whitta episode and it was easier to watch since Colin wasn't in the episode. Since the PS4 Pro thing and Colins political tweets rubbed me the wrong way I just can't take much of what he says seriously anymore.

More power to them with the Patreon support they get and being able to live better lives for it. I'm sure post like mine and others might here look petty to them, but it is what it is.

jacobeid

Banned
I was trying to pin it on the nose for while since I stopped watching the show, and this is the perfect answer. It feels like since Greg is the only co host he just let's colin go on a tirade about anything with no rebuttal or disagreement.

It sucks because now I have just stopped watching all the Kinda Funny stuff with the exception of the Star Wars Gary Whitta episode and it was easier to watch since Colin wasn't in the episode. Since the PS4 Pro thing and since Colins political tweets rubbed me the wrong way I just can't take much of what he says seriously anymore.

More power to them with the Patreon support they get and being able to live better lives for it. I'm sure post like mine and others might here look petty to them, but it is what it is.

Caught me before my edit on mobile....I like the idea of Colin "peaching" haha. I'm with you though. I wish them the best of luck but after so many years of listening to them every week religiously I just couldn't stand it anymore.

firelogic

Agreed. I only ever watch their PS I Love You, and even that, it's selective topics.

This is a group that has got ideas, implemented them and did not consider the overlap and how it will affect their viewers in a negative way, in terms of repetition and actual content. It's become diffuse; they just need to trim the fat or reformulate the shows so as to avoid repetition to those –– admittedly crazy –– people that watch everything they put out.

I agree. They need to rework their shows and try to bring in new faces either permanently or on a rotating basis to give the audience a different voice. Having 2 or 3 hosts on one show per week is fine but to have the same makeup for everything they do seriously lacks variety.

Brewmont

Banned
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been noticing this stuff. Every time Colin goes off into a rant, he talks so damn fast that it's like: no wonder you're so cynical, you don't even stop long enough to critically think through how you feel. It's so grating.

Agreed with others posting that giant bomb is much more fun to watch.

I'm sure I've said it before, but they need a third chair.

Tim has been the strongest member of the group for a while if you ask me and should be brought into the PS I Love You fold permanently.

I'd also like to see Kevin get more screen time.

Greg and Colin's renown helped launch Kinda Funny, but I do think other members of the team, including Nick, have been offering a lot more than them for some time.

It's fine to do so, but it's the only thing that he discussed. It wasn't a critique as much as it was toxic moping.
I'm pretty sure Collin started with "let me get this out of the way first..." and started criticizing the telltale engine. Which is well deserved. And then said many positive things about the Batman game. In fact he really liked it. Where did you get it was the only thing he discussed??

Xeroblade

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been noticing this stuff. Every time Colin goes off into a rant, he talks so damn fast that it's like: no wonder you're so cynical, you don't even stop long enough to critically think through how you feel. It's so grating.

Agreed with others posting that giant bomb is much more fun to watch.

I have been slowly getting into GB and there is a night and day difference between the two, GB has a passion for games, they play everything they want to. C&G would rather order lunch, they are seriously missing their passion for games. I hope when they come back in 3 days they bring the fire, but I seriously doubt that.

I have been slowly getting into GB and there is a night and day difference between the two, GB has a passion for games, they play everything they want to. C&G would rather order lunch, they are seriously missing their passion for games. I hope when they come back in 3 days they bring the fire, but I seriously doubt that.

To me, the one word I would use to describe GB is moribund. I find them totally devoid of anything interesting, but more power to you.

They can solve it by having Nick and Tim on C&G Live, and leave Greg and Colin to host the other two podcasts. Hell they don't need someone from the outside to even be on their podcasts, just utilise more of your talent. Nick has a lot to offer, a lot to discuss, have him on more as opposed to Colin on Gamescast for example.

(This is not a slight at Colin. I fundamentally disagree with a lot of what he says, but he always aspires to provide cogent arguments for games, and at least he has a no-bullshit approach when he doesn't like a game or doesn't play something.)

firelogic

To me, the one word I would use to describe GB is moribund. I find them totally devoid of anything interesting, but more power to you.

They can solve it by having Nick and Tim on C&G Live, and leave Greg and Colin to host the other two podcasts. Hell they don't need someone from the outside to even be on their podcasts, just utilise more of your talent. Nick has a lot to offer, a lot to discuss, have him on more as opposed to Colin on Gamescast for example.

(This is not a slight at Colin. I fundamentally disagree with a lot of what he says, but he always aspires to provide cogent arguments for games, and at least he has a no-bullshit approach when he doesn't like a game or doesn't play something.)

You should check out Best of Giant Bomb 2016. It's hilarious. Granted, it's a collection of their funniest moments but I find them highly entertaining when they play games versus the Let's Plays of KF.

I haven't been able to get into GB or EA from the little of them I listened to, but I haven't given them much of a chance. KF's personalities hooked me way quicker. I think I will try to give at least EA a more substantial shot at some point. Not that I have much of a problem with KF like a lot of people here are.

I kinda want to listen to Podcast beyond to see what that was all about. Just to see how the dynamics were with Colin and Greg on with the other guys.

Xeroblade

Though I dont agree what you said about GB, I do agree with you that they need to utilize everyone. After they got that new studio, they seem very off put or lacking care, on a slown decline to being boring or just making content to make content. That top 100 video games gamescast was horribly put together and they all seemed bored, I just want them to be better. Tim is outshining both of them at the moment.

Granted, Colin goes on and on about the same stuff but at the same time, I agree with it because he's right. TTG needs to fix their fucking engine. Horizon is close to being overexposed if it hasn't been already. TLOU Part II trailer wasn't needed or wanted by me at all. It was pretty much a given that it was going to happen but to be teased for a game that's easily almost three years away isn't a good thing. And yeah, Sony is overhyping Death Stranding. Seriously, a YEAR after signing Kojima and the game hasn't even started development yet??? You've got to be kidding me??? Kojima needs to go the fuck away and just develop the damn game and when it's within six months of being released, he can show it again. Right now, im losing interest in him and the game the more they talk about it and the more they show it.
What's your source on this? Where are the receipts? It's been a year since he signed with Sony and he's already released two show-stopping trailers that caught everyone's imagination and he hasn't started development? It doesn't add up.

What are you basing that claim on?

Though I dont agree what you said about GB, I do agree with you that they need to utilize everyone.After they got that new studio, they seem very off put or lacking care, on a slown decline to being boring or just making content to make content. That top 100 video games gamescast was horribly put together and they all seemed bored, I just want them to be better. Tim is outshining both of them at the moment.

I've been feeling that way about KF since they went out to Texas and did the PS I Love You episode that Colin clearly didn't want to do. Colin kept saying how hot it was and how they didn't really have to do it but did it due to their commitment blah blah.

Like wtf? Don't do that to your fans because it feels awkward at least to me. He basically admitted to doing it just to do it. Don't pay yourself on the back, don't say that you're doing it because you're committed. We fan and supporters will not only see your commitment and dedication we'll appreciate it.

That dude who said GB is moribund is...I dunno. I literally saw KF's top 100 list and then right after I saw GB's GOTY deliberations and the content and structure were night and day. Night and day people. KF came off as sooooo amateurish which they shouldn't be because Greg & Colin have years of experience doing the same thing over at IGN. Hashing out end year awards and top 25 lists etc.

GB and EZA by far are better podcasts imo and this is coming from a lifelong podcast beyond/KF guy.

Zukkoyaki

I kinda want to listen to Podcast beyond to see what that was all about. Just to see how the dynamics were with Colin and Greg on with the other guys.

Podcast Beyond when it was Greg, Colin, Goldfarb and Clements was a legit contender for GOAT gaming podcast. Between the four of them they covered pretty much everything in terms of gaming taste and their personalities were spectacular and diverse:

- Greg was the energy (he's calmed down a lot)
- Colin was still slightly arrogant and overly opinionated but he demonstrated his knowledge well and defended his opinions better back then because guys like Clements and Goldfarb did a better job of challenging him than Greg does
- Clements was the quiet but not shy and super articulated one who kept everyone grounded
- Goldfarb was the purely positive and optimistic one

Shit was amazing! Listening to older episodes really shows how desperately they need a third chair at minimum. They're becoming a broken record and their seeming burnout has been evident for a few months now.

pager99

You've got to be kidding me with this shit.

no souls has best level design best enemy design no hand holding, lore and story that lets you discover at your own pace and doesnt insult the players intelligence much like poetry it lets you find something that resonates personally,deep rewarding rpg mechanics ,unmatched pvp for its genre i could go on and on

no souls has best level design best enemy design no hand holding, lore and story that lets you discover at your own pace and doesnt insult the players intelligence much like poetry it lets you find something that resonates personally,deep rewarding rpg mechanics ,unmatched pvp for its genre i could go on and on

You have to be trolling. Colin LOVED Bloodborne.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What's your source on this? Where are the receipts? It's been a year since he signed with Sony and he's already released two show-stopping trailers that caught everyone's imagination and he hasn't started development? It doesn't add up.

What are you basing that claim on?

Kojima himself stated that the game isn't starting full development until early 2017. After all, how could he start development on a game when he didn't choose the game engine until a several weeks ago?

As for the trailers...MEH. CG crap is just that, crap. Shows nothing in regards to the actual gameplay or game itself. It's only hyped because it's Kojima. If it was anyone else, it would be a bash fest.

The problem is that if you ever listened to Beyond then that's all you needed to hear half the shit repeated. I can't even imagine how much overlap of the same points I'd get if I watched all of their shows, but simply listening to Beyond and then migrating with them to PS ILY is just a broken record. I didn't miss listening to the podcast this month. First time in about 5 (6?) years.
So you listened to a broken record that kept repeating half of the same shit over and over for five years, but all of a sudden this month things became too much to bear?

McBryBry

I think I'm starting to feel the same as some of you guys. Listening to the podcast while going to work is starting to feel like a chore instead of fun. Granted, there are still moments where these guys get me legit belly laughing and having fun, but they're a bit more sparse than they used to be. BRING GOLDFARB BACK (who's been doing great over on Beyond again)

RoKKeR

This is embarassing, honestly. To seriously think that anyone who disagrees with you about a game is flat-out "wrong" is frankly stupid.

MrS

Banned
Kojima himself stated that the game isn't starting full development until early 2017. After all, how could he start development on a game when he didn't choose the game engine until a several weeks ago?

As for the trailers...MEH. CG crap is just that, crap. Shows nothing in regards to the actual gameplay or game itself. It's only hyped because it's Kojima. If it was anyone else, it would be a bash fest.

Uh, what? The Last of Us: Part 2 won't enter full production until after Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is done later this year, do you think that trailer was "CG crap" too?

When a developer says their game isn't in full production yet, it means they're still in pre-production. They're figuring out the story/layout of the game, prototyping, creating assets, building a vertical slice, etc. They can do this without settling on an engine. The game IS in development but they haven't committed all their resources to it. Once they do and they enter full production, development becomes a sprint to the finish line.

It's also worth remembering that they're doing this while building an entire studio basically from scratch. I'm sure they have plenty of willing hirees from Konami and Sony's helping them out a lot but still, it's a huge task.

Strings

- Greg was the energy (he's calmed down a lot)
- Colin was still slightly arrogant and overly opinionated but he demonstrated his knowledge well and defended his opinions better back then because guys like Clements and Goldfarb did a better job of challenging him than Greg does
- Clements was the quiet but not shy and super articulated one who kept everyone grounded
- Goldfarb was the purely positive and optimistic one

Shit was amazing! Listening to older episodes really shows how desperately they need a third chair at minimum. They're becoming a broken record and their seeming burnout has been evident for a few months now.

Semi-unrelated to the current thread, but listening to Clements explain how he learnt to rollerblade in a dream was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Zukkoyaki

This was a stellar episode to begin the new year! They do seem a little rejuvenated since coming back from break which has lifted the show.

RoKKeR

Great episode today, and Colin's thoughts about Ellie's sexuality and Naughty Dogs very subtle yet powerful handling of it were spot on.

Top Bottom