• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

RedAssedApe

Banned
I did get a chuckle out of that

this thread creates its own reality sometimes

it doesn't sound like he finishes that many games though and as pointed out above, colin is the one contradicting himself when he talks about games he's played recently. also we all know vita games don't count ;)

Another enjoyable episode, I can't wait for Thursday Evening (GMT) Kevin said that Kindafunny day stream will be 11am-4pm (PST) FYI hopefully everyone that was not at KFL2 will get to see the amazing show too! if Tim finishes editing it has been very busy with it over the break

I'm intrigued to see what their announcements are. They're hyping the hell out of it and multiple times Greg has mentioned that they'll be addressing some of their flaws.

ST2K

I'm intrigued to see what their announcements are. They're hyping the hell out of it and multiple times Greg has mentioned that they'll be addressing some of their flaws.

I can't wait to see what they think their flaws are. Should be enlightening.

I have no delusion that this will happen, bit I would be pumped if one of the announcements is the first official outside hire (unless Kevin counts as that already).

I can't wait either, because in the past they've only ever acknowledged complaints from the community, but then did literally nothing about them. Heck, it took months of complaining for them to chill a little on the long ad reads.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Never even thought about a new hire.

That would be great though as it would give them another mind to push and pull back against certain ideas especially on PSILoveYouXOXO. 3rd chair on Beyond was always great for that.

JoeNut

So i just want to note (probably due to the hyperbolic chamber thing which was hilarious) that colin uses the word hyperbole way too often. i'd barely even heard the word until i started listening to these podcasts and so i looked it up.

Hyperbole is an exaggeration that is meant to be understood as too extreme to be believed, if you are being hyperbolic you expect your audience to understand you are not being literal or truthful.

Stop using the word wrong Colin!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hiring someone takes a lot of money out of their pockets. Seriously doubt they'll do it.

While true maybe they could push out more content or more quality content if they had more people to lighten the load?

YMMV I know and I get that new hires cost a lot for small businesses.

firelogic

It won't be anything related to what people are complaining about, which is their negative attitude towards certain games/genres/products. If they make a change to that, then they're not speaking what they're truly feeling so either they'll start lying or the change people are looking for isn't going to happen. They could remedy the problem of repetitiveness by hiring someone new or bringing in a guest host on a rotating basis for their shows and cutting down on Greg/Colin face time though.

Colin being down on a lot of things is what he's actually thinking/feeling. It's better to know what his true thoughts are versus him not saying anything or lying.

krae_man

I just want them to reduce the file sizes of the KindaFunny Gamescast and the GameOverGreggy Show.

Seriously, why are those podcasts 300mb while PS I Love You XOXO is 1/4 that and the same length?

Speaking of GDC, the Easy Allies guys have said they will be going to GDC next year. Remember that they are based in Los Angeles and GDC is always in San Francisco. So, I wonder if we'll see any KFxEZA content while they are there.

That'd be awesome.

Regarding the latest episode though, I took one look at the title and thought, "Oh, great. I get to hear yet another hour and a half vitriolic rant by Colin on why last year's games weren't Mega Man." A little harsh, but I think warranted since he's been overtly negative since the Pro reveal.

Anyhoo... I was wrong. I'd like to formally apologize to Colin for ever even thinking that. He was overwhelmingly positive about the games of 2016. Instead, Greg was the Debbie Downer for some inexplicable reason.

As for what would fix this show... Greg either needs to step up and challenge Colin every now and then, or they need to have Tim on more often. Tim is really growing into my favorite KF personality over there. And Kevin. I'm finding myself agreeing with Tim on more and more subjects and he has a great positive vibe and energy that seems to have diminished in PSILUXOXO this past year.

I'm still liking their shows, don't get me wrong, but I feel like 2015 had far superior quality and I hope 2017 will be a return to form.

plidex

Not sure if you have seen their patreon......... it would be nice if they could hire someone to edit videos for them, or a community manager........

I have. It doesn't matter how much money they are making, nobody likes to take a cut of their earnings.

While true maybe they could push out more content or more quality content if they had more people to lighten the load?

YMMV I know and I get that new hires cost a lot for small businesses.

I think the most important aspect is to have more people on the podcasts. They usually have guests for the general talk show, so they could have guests for the gaming ones.

paulogy

I suspect they'll change the schedule of programs. Might remove some, add some. Maybe go "all-in" with their partnership with RoosterTeeth. Maybe go away from Patreon and have their own native subscription model? I'd be surprised if they added a 6th member (or more) but that would be fun to see.

If salary is really that much of a factor they could easily announce an "internship" program. Unpaid, but fully integrated for a period of time.

decisions

So i just want to note (probably due to the hyperbolic chamber thing which was hilarious) that colin uses the word hyperbole way too often. i'd barely even heard the word until i started listening to these podcasts and so i looked it up.

Hyperbole is an exaggeration that is meant to be understood as too extreme to be believed, if you are being hyperbolic you expect your audience to understand you are not being literal or truthful.

Stop using the word wrong Colin!

Um, he isn't using the word wrong. The two often use hyperbole that is easy for me to pick up on as a long-time listener. It's a huge part of their humor. Seems to me like you're implying that he is using the word to refer to his opinionated nature, which I don't see.

As for the announcements, I remember a while back when KF first started Colin and Bromley or someone said that they were aware of the "crossover" between TCB and KF. Always wondered if something would come of that but I doubt it at this point.

Xeroblade

Kinda Funny Morning Show replaces Colin and Greg Live, Colin is only going to be on 2 times a week. The show will also be posted to Youtube and they hired a CM.

Kinda Funny Morning Show replaces Colin and Greg Live, Colin is only going to be on 2 times a week. The show will also be posted to Youtube and they hired a CM.

They hired a Colin Moriarty? ;p I'm happy for Joey. She was already heavily involved with KF stuff. It's nice they have a community manager now. Hopefully she'll hop over her time to time to diffuse things/clear things up.

@Wreck

They hired a Colin Moriarty? ;p I'm happy for Joey. She was already heavily involved with KF stuff. It's nice they have a community manager now. Hopefully she'll hop over her time to time to diffuse things/clear things up.

yeah man and her voice is awesome great for podcasts!!!

ST2K

Do we know why Colin will appear less?

I don't know, but hopefully he can dedicate time to writing, I miss that from Colin.

He's got a new show, Colin Was Right, which is taking up some time since it's pre-written and he edits it himself.

And yeah, he's also working on a book, but I get the impression that's a thing he does on his own time, not on KF's time.

plidex

They are pretty small to have a CM, aren't they? I don't really understand it. I'd guess having another member producing content would be more useful.

he's also working on a book, but I get the impression that's a thing he does on his own time, not on KF's time.

The problem that there's not "own time" and "KF time". If he doesn't have time to play games because he is writing a book, then he isn't useful in KF.

VesperZ

Neo Member
Basically they have a Community Manager to have a person who can dedicate a lot of time to being in the trenches with the community across social media and their forums to get a "proper" feel as to how things are being received and suggestions and such. They read a lot of stuff already but that is more time consuming than one would probably think so they have this person to that and relay the knowledge.

It can't hurt but I can't help but think it won't really do anything considering how dismissive they've been of criticism in the past. It makes me wonder if they're only going to receive filtered and sugarcoated feedback. I know a lot of people are assholes but sometimes you have to hear things you don't want to hear.

But the person they chose is certainly qualified. She's been an extremely positive, active and well-liked community member since they started.

Basically they have a Community Manager to have a person who can dedicate a lot of time to being in the trenches with the community across social media and their forums to get a "proper" feel as to how things are being received and suggestions and such. They read a lot of stuff already but that is more time consuming than one would probably think so they have this person to that and relay the knowledge.

It can't hurt but I can't help but think it won't really do anything considering how dismissive they've been of criticism in the past. It makes me wonder if they're only going to receive filtered and sugarcoated feedback. I know a lot of people are assholes but sometimes you have to hear things you don't want to hear.

But the person they chose is certainly qualified. She's been an extremely positive, active and well-liked community member since they started.

THIS. Hiring a community manager doesn't matter at all if they're still going to shrug off all criticism. Greg and the others have specifically acknowledged community complaints but have done nothing about them, even with these "huge" announcements today.

Honestly, it feels like they've hired a community manager so they don't get flamed as much when they screw up e.g. the PS4 Pro debacle or Colin's idiotic comments on Twitter.

rvarg007

Neo Member
THIS. Hiring a community manager doesn't matter at all if they're still going to shrug off all criticism. Greg and the others have specifically acknowledged community complaints but have done nothing about them, even with these "huge" announcements today.

Honestly, it feels like they've hired a community manager so they don't get flamed as much when they screw up e.g. the PS4 Pro debacle or Colin's idiotic comments on Twitter.

You're confusing a PR person with a CM. Joey is their liaison with many communities that already exist. She'll be here, FB, Twitter, Discord, Twitch, etc, and will help those groups communicate with KF and KF to those groups. An example is that she will let the admins in those communities know about upcoming events ahead of announcements and make sure that KF has images and posts ready to go up on those communities. That's just an example btw.

sh1fty

Hopefully with Colin appearing less, and perhaps focusing more on things he wants to do (writing, etc.), he'll be happier and more pleasant to listen to when he is on the shows/podcasts.

Hiring a CM is interesting. I guess it's a step in the right direction but my worry is a) they won't get objective feedback as they've hired one of the inner circle. She's likely surrounded with people who are extremely positive about KF and b) even if they do get objective feedback... they will continue to not listen.

Wedzi

Banned
Never understood why people think Collin (or Greg for that matter) don't play a lot of games. Their PSN profiles are public. Just look them up and find out!

Spoiler Alert: They do and that's not even counting games they play on other platforms

ST2K

Never understood why people think Collin (or Greg for that matter) don't play a lot of games. Their PSN profiles are public. Just look them up and find out!

Spoiler Alert: They do and that's not even counting games they play on other platforms

Playing 2 hours of a random mobile game ported to Vita or 30 minutes of assorted games people are talking about with way more depth than you doesn't really add anything to your podcasts. =P

They do technically play many games. Colin's truthfully pointed out how he played a ton last year. But yet podcast conversations were frequently started/ended with "I haven't played a lot" or "Still playing the game we talked about the last 2 weeks." And that conversation was boring because one person just talked about it while the other person didn't engage or challenge them at all.

Yeah, the argument that they play a lot of games because of their PSN profiles is garbage. I can recall at least half a dozen times in the past year where Colin or Greg in the "what have you played this week" section of the podcast say "Yeah i tried 15 minutes of this game, then I shut it off and played 15 minutes of this, then I played 30 minutes of this and finally I played an hour of this". This kind of thing is brought up regularly on the podcast, and I imagine with the amount of codes they get there's games on their trophy list that they played for literally 5 minutes.

Wedzi

Banned
Playing 2 hours of a random mobile game ported to Vita or 30 minutes of assorted games people are talking about with way more depth than you doesn't really add anything to your podcasts. =P

They do technically play many games. Colin's truthfully pointed out how he played a ton last year. But yet podcast conversations were frequently started/ended with "I haven't played a lot" or "Still playing the game we talked about the last 2 weeks." And that conversation was boring because one person just talked about it while the other person didn't engage or challenge them at all.

That's true. I know he does have a problem finishing games for sure. Also contrast his podcasts with the only other gaming podcasts I listen to (Giant Bombcast and 8-4 Play) there is a stark difference in conversion quality about games in general.

That's true. I know he does have a problem finishing games for sure. Also contrast his podcasts with the only other gaming podcasts I listen to (Giant Bombcast and 8-4 Play) there is a stark difference in conversion quality about games in general.

I think specifically when it comes to Giant Bomb, they have to produce content whether it be a Quick Look or review for just about all the games they discuss, so they need to invest more time into each game than KF does.

Gamescast is good, but has a lot of room for improvement, they should look to the Bombcast for inspiration; make the show way more conversational and less "rigid" than it is now. I feel like with each episode they try to limit their segments and not go too long, to hell with that, if they spend 40 minutes just talking about games they are playing, that is great to hear them so invested in what they are currently playing.

Yeah, the argument that they play a lot of games because of their PSN profiles is garbage. I can recall at least half a dozen times in the past year where Colin or Greg in the "what have you played this week" section of the podcast say "Yeah i tried 15 minutes of this game, then I shut it off and played 15 minutes of this, then I played 30 minutes of this and finally I played an hour of this". This kind of thing is brought up regularly on the podcast, and I imagine with the amount of codes they get there's games on their trophy list that they played for literally 5 minutes.

So I didn't want to say that when people brought up his quote about how he plays a lot, but that's basically what I was thinking. And honestly I would rather them play a few games and finish them so we could get their complete thoughts on the game than cycle through every game that hits the Vita. I don't give a crap about Rise of the Tomb Raider but I'm glad Colin is near finishing it so I feel like I'm hearing a more complete opinion out of him about it.

Top Bottom