• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

If it wasn't for that though, we wouldn't have gotten Bloodborne. I really hope we get a sequel.

That's probably true. And Dark Souls would've probably been Demon's Souls 2 and been PS3 exclusive. A lot would've changed if Sony decided to publish it outside of Japan. The Souls series (or genre, I guess) would've likely been only ever on PlayStation.

WyPGpGy.png

Oh. Umm... Yay?
Reason #238 I don't listen to this show any more: the open contempt they have for their audience.

The "always right" thing is just an inside joke.

Not talking about that, talking about the numerous BS him and kinda funny were saying about Pro, the industry, when he got called out Colin for sooky and left gaf, I was a lurker then. Says a lot about him. They are quite out of touch on a lot of things.

That's probably true. And Dark Souls would've probably been Demon's Souls 2 and been PS3 exclusive. A lot would've changed if Sony decided to publish it outside of Japan. The Souls series (or genre, I guess) would've likely been only ever on PlayStation.
But they did publish it in asia(ie hong kong version)

Servbot24

Banned
Not talking about that, talking about the numerous BS him and kinda funny were saying about Pro, the industry, when he got called out Colin for sooky and left gaf, I was a lurker then. Says a lot about him. They are quite out of touch on a lot of things.

I'm fine with him being stubborn, but yeah with the Pro thing he was downright illogical at a basic level. That combined with stubbornness can be a bit frustrating to watch. That's ok though, it's just light entertainment.

I'm fine with him being stubborn, but yeah with the Pro thing he was downright illogical at a basic level. That combined with stubbornness can be a bit frustrating to watch. That's ok though, it's just light entertainment.

Fair enough, but I stopped finding them entertaining, them being so out of touch on a lot of stuff was hard to watch, and don't find it a good podcast for PS at all to be honest, but different strokes and all that. Too bad as it started off good but has gotten really bad for my tastes.

DeviantBoi

I gave up listening to the Giant Bombcast regularly after Brad had some reader mail regarding something scatological. Can't remember the episode or the discussion, but I know he brought it up again the following week.

That was it for me.

I've stopped listening to this podcast, so I don't care what they talk about, but I just feel that there are some topics that are too disgusting to discuss.

DXMGT

Banned
I gave up listening to the Giant Bombcast regularly after Brad had some reader mail regarding something scatological. Can't remember the episode or the discussion, but I know he brought it up again the following week.

That was it for me.

I've stopped listening to this podcast, so I don't care what they talk about, but I just feel that there are some topics that are too disgusting to discuss.

You realise how rare that kind of stuff comes up right? And dude it's just poop. We all do it.

Reason #238 I don't listen to this show any more: the open contempt they have for their audience.

If you watched The Kinda Funny Morning Show (previously Colin and Greg Live), you'd see they are actually entertaining their main audience. The way the chat blows up when they go off on crazy tangents on that show, it's no surprise that extends to PS I Love You XOXO. The whole waterman tangent from a couple months ago has become a recurring joke among fans and the guys. Just like how Bongos! is a thing on KFMS (although, that's starting to get a bit long in the tooth when every fan is doing it in chat).

killroy87

The thing that I understand (and respect) about the KF group is that they never, at any point, have to entertain anyone outside of their core Patreon audience. I may not like a lot of what they do anymore, but since I'm not one of the one paying anymore, they don't need to give a fuck about my view the way other sites might.

If you feel like their content and community is a bit exclusive and tight-knit, that's probably true, and probably by design. The few thousand people on their patreon are all that really matters in the long run, so if they're happy with the tangents, inside jokes, and general level of quality, who is anyone else to argue? They're the client.

The thing that I understand (and respect) about the KF group is that they never, at any point, have to entertain anyone outside of their core Patreon audience. I may not like a lot of what they do anymore, but since I'm not one of the one paying anymore, they don't need to give a fuck about my view the way other sites might.

If you feel like their content and community is a bit exclusive and tight-knit, that's probably true, and probably by design. The few thousand people on their patreon are all that really matters in the long run, so if they're happy with the tangents, inside jokes, and general level of quality, who is anyone else to argue? They're the client.

Yup. Obviously as you're not currently a patron, you were probably unable to see the Kinda Funny Live 2 video (unless, tisk, tisk, someone shared it with you), but that thing was packed to the brim and rocking with fans. They sold out that venue (which has hosted big names in the past). You will be able to see the video (if you want) in February when it goes out to the public on YouTube.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
'Nothing of any note releasing at the moment ...'

Gravity Rush 2 (81 meta)
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (82 meta)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone - Future Sound (meta 83)
Kingdom Hearts Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD

I can't listen to it any more. I keep going back in the hope Colin broadens his outlook but it looks like he's made his mind up.

newjeruse

Gravity Rush 2 (81 meta)
Kingdom Hearts Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD

I can't listen to it any more. I keep going back in the hope Colin broadens his outlook but it looks like he's made his mind up.
In fairness to Colin, he heard GR2's demo wasn't good.

plidex

The problem is that they started alienating their wider audience because they know their core audience will always back them up.

I guess I don't like that they no longer care about appealing to a big portion of people that made Beyond the #1 PS podcast.

Gravity Rush 2 (81 meta)
Kingdom Hearts Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD

I think you'll find the fewer the people there are as hosts on shows, the more focused their preferences will be. Colin and Greg have somewhat similar tastes, so things even more focused. The games you listed, while clearly well made, are also niche games. They're the kind of games that Goldfarb or Clements would bring up with joy on the old Podcast Beyond. I think what would bring you back to PS I Love You XOXO is if they ever hire someone like those two (or manage to get either or both of them one day). You can't expect Colin and Greg to suddenly like a style of games they have historically never have. That's not how people with opinions work, other wise it'd be hard to trust their takes on things.

Gravity Rush 2 (81 meta)
Kingdom Hearts Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD

Shantae came out almost a month ago, KH 2.8 HD isn't out for another two weeks, and Remix isn't out for another two months. That just leaves Gravity Rush 2 and Hatsune Miku which are very niche titles, heck outside of RE7 this is a pretty dead month.

Neonep

Serious question, why do people come in this thread to bitch and moan on why they stopped listening? If you don't listen then this thread isn't for you. Also there are so many different podcasts with different personalities and different opinions just for video games.Everybody should go and support the content they enjoy and don't go out of your way to shit on someone else's content you claim you stopped listening to.

butman

This guys are not the same anymore. They could ask a bit of humility to EZA crew, that they have enough left over.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think you'll find the fewer the people there are as hosts on shows, the more focused their preferences will be. Colin and Greg have somewhat similar tastes, so things even more focused. The games you listed, while clearly well made, are also niche games. They're the kind of games that Goldfarb or Clements would bring up with joy on the old Podcast Beyond. I think what would bring you back to PS I Love You XOXO is if they ever hire someone like those two (or manage to get either or both of them one day). You can't expect Colin and Greg to suddenly like a style of games they have historically never have. That's not how people with opinions work, other wise it'd be hard to trust their takes on things.

Only Gravity Rush 2 interests me on that list but that doesn't mean there's 'nothing of interest' there for 'other' people. Colin will constantly wax lyrical about Indie games, some of which don't sell particularly well, so clearly pulling this whole 'financial success' line is a way of justifying his current line of thinking, a line of thinking (I believe) born out of the hissy fit over some less than friendly comments on GAF a while back. He's backed himself into a corner and seems intent on proving his back isn't against the wall. In short, he's just being childishly stubborn in my opinion.

Serious question, why do people come in this thread to bitch and moan on why they stopped listening? If you don't listen then this thread isn't for you. Also there are so many different podcasts with different personalities and different opinions just for video games.Everybody should go and support the content they enjoy and don't go out of your way to shit on someone else's content you claim you stopped listening to.

Is there a rule people cannot voice their displeasure with a podcast they were excited for and like at one point?

Gravity Rush 2 (81 meta)
Kingdom Hearts Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD

It's awful, as the #1 PS Podcast they should be making a point to highlight these types of games, it is what makes Playstation , playstation. This is the exact type of crap that turned me off from Kinda funny. You don't need to like a game/genre to discuss it and it's coming release.

sh1fty

If you watched The Kinda Funny Morning Show (previously Colin and Greg Live), you'd see they are actually entertaining their main audience. The way the chat blows up when they go off on crazy tangents on that show, it's no surprise that extends to PS I Love You XOXO. The whole waterman tangent from a couple months ago has become a recurring joke among fans and the guys. Just like how Bongos! is a thing on KFMS (although, that's starting to get a bit long in the tooth when every fan is doing it in chat).

I think most of the people offering constructive criticism in this thread are not the ones logging in daily to their chat or paying thousands of $$ to fly across the country and attend KFLive. Their attitude and choices in the past year or so make me think they are happy just catering to that hardcore audience as it's more than enough to sustain them as a business and ensure they stay relevant. They aren't worried about growing or rubbing the more casual consumers of their podcasts the wrong way.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I like watching their videos still, even though some of their shit grinds my gears. In their top 100 games of all time video, Greg added Peace Walker, and called it his favourite game of ALL time, but said MGS3 wasn't good and skipped that. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

I like watching their videos still, even though some of their shit grinds my gears. In their top 100 games of all time video, Greg added Peace Walker, and called it his favourite game of ALL time, but said MGS3 wasn't good and skipped that. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Again, the fewer people there are, there more personal their focus is. Greg has always said PW is easily his favorite video game. I think it's why he was so in love with V, as it was basically a direct continuation of PW, though I supposed PW could be seen as a direct continuation of III (if Portable Ops is being skipped). I think if they ever are able to hire more on air talent, the opinions could become more varied. I think that's why people like Easy Allies so much. There's nine of them and they all have different games they like.

I think most of the people offering constructive criticism in this thread are not the ones logging in daily to their chat or paying thousands of $$ to fly across the country and attend KFLive. Their attitude and choices in the past year or so make me think they are happy just catering to that hardcore audience as it's more than enough to sustain them as a business and ensure they stay relevant. They aren't worried about growing or rubbing the more casual consumers of their podcasts the wrong way.

Well they are the people giving them money. They are and will always be their number one priority.

DXMGT

Banned

Or how about their being no PC games in the top 100 list? I thought that was crazy.

ObsidianG

There are plenty of reasons to hate Colin—his stupid fucking Randian ideology, his willingness to be deliberately inflammatory and then shrink away from criticism, his intellectual dishonesty—but talking about the games he cares about on his games show is not one. His tone often sucks, I agree, but at this point I've learned to grit my teeth and enjoy the parts of the podcast that I really do like.

I may not agree with some of the positions that Colin and Greg have (I think your description of some issues I have with Colin's tone are spot on), but I respect their willingness to standby their values.

However, my bigger issue is that there is a mismatch between the expectations they had built around the show and what they deliver: I understand that a big part of their appeal is that they are down to earth in how they feel about the games they play, but when they don't do due diligence before commenting on an issue (i.e. considering both sides of an issue when making a point, or finishing a game) it can come of as having a double standard time.

Like others have pointed out in the thread, their core audience is their patron supporters, so I only tune in to the show if they have a topic I am particularly interested in, rather than being a regular listener.

firelogic

Shantae came out almost a month ago, KH 2.8 HD isn't out for another two weeks, and Remix isn't out for another two months. That just leaves Gravity Rush 2 and Hatsune Miku which are very niche titles, heck outside of RE7 this is a pretty dead month.

Um, Yakuza 0 would like to have a word with you.

plidex

The same reason why people go to every games' topic to say why they don't like it.

Also every podcast that goes up gives reasons to reaffirm or contradict the thoughts people have, and that will always generate a reaction.

Personally, I'm still not at the point of completely dismissing them, so I'll keep checking back, listening to the podcasts, and saying what I think.

In the future when I'll have less free time I'll probably stop listening to them.

killroy87

If this thread was only full of people who loved everything they did, it would just be the KF forums :p

They don't? I've heard Colin mention playing PC games quite a few times. Just recently he talked about CIV 6.

Yeah, he played some Civ VI, though Civ V is the one he put the most time into, but they don't play PC games in general. So, you won't see Half-Life or other groundbreaking PC games. And you will especially not see MOBAs on their list ;p

Corpsepyre

Banned
They don't? I've heard Colin mention playing PC games quite a few times. Just recently he talked about CIV 6.

It's the only PC game he talks about.

You know, it's fine. It's their list. I'm just trying to wrap my head around Greg's statement that PW is the best game ever, but MGS3 is a big disappointment. PW's story carries forward from MGS3, and it's one hell of an important title in MGS legacy. What gives?

It's the only PC game he talks about.

You know, it's fine. It's their list. I'm just trying to wrap my head around Greg's statement that PW is the best game ever, but MGS3 is a big disappointment. PW's story carries forward from MGS3, and it's one hell of an important title in MGS legacy. What gives?

Opinions can be a fickle and confusing thing.

Ever since the reveal it feels like they've been purposely obtuse with Gravity Rush 2, first saying it looked hardly any better than the original and should be on Vita, then getting left off all the topics about PlayStation exclusives because it wasn't AAA enough. It's one thing with the Last Guardian because I feel like they've generally been consistent with Team ICO games but they actually liked the original Gravity Rush at the time, so the dismissive attitude makes no sense.

AmuroChan

Yup. Obviously as you're not currently a patron, you were probably unable to see the Kinda Funny Live 2 video (unless, tisk, tisk, someone shared it with you), but that thing was packed to the brim and rocking with fans. They sold out that venue (which has hosted big names in the past). You will be able to see the video (if you want) in February when it goes out to the public on YouTube.

I'm a patreon and have seen the KFL2 video. It's great that their diehard fans love them to death, but as someone who has followed them since the early Beyond days, I'm getting the sense that they've become less and less receptive to criticisms. And I'm not talking about the unreasonable and unjustifiable criticisms from haters and trolls, but even constructive criticisms from the KF community. I still like a lot of their content, but I'm also not a sheep that thinks that everything they do is perfect and cannot be criticized.

I'm a patreon and have seen the KFL2 video. It's great that their diehard fans love them to death, but as someone who has followed them since the early Beyond days, I'm getting the sense that they've become less and less receptive to criticisms. And I'm not talking about the unreasonable and unjustifiable criticisms from haters and trolls, but even constructive criticisms from the KF community. I still like a lot of their content, but I'm also not a sheep that thinks that everything they do is perfect and cannot be criticized.

I think they are trying to respond to some of the criticism. The axing of the Q&A is a start. They realized that only hardcore fans (or a handful of available fans) were participating in the month Q&A livestreams (which, being a $15 tier on Patreon limited the potential audience even more). As a result, they got to know the names of these users and would recognize and acknowledge them elsewhere. What they're doing instead is having Ask Kinda Funny (still the $15 tier on Patreon), which is where, throughout a week, you can submit a question and then a video would be recorded for people to watch. That way, you don't have to worry about missing out as many had to do (due to work or other responsibilities, etc.). I also think hiring a full time editor will free them up to do more, varied, content.

D i Z

Umm. I'm not so sure about that. Demon's Souls didn't really chart with players. It being the first of those kind of games, it took the full force of the reaction to tougher game play, and it showed in sales. The revisionist history is that it was the beginning of a storied franchise beloved by many, and a new standard in game play and design but Sony dropped the ball.
The reality is that extremely few people in the user base would go anywhere near it at the time, it didn't sell, and most people got over the hump of being challenged after Dark Souls blew up and the game went to PS+.
Sony could still produce another Demon's Souls, but we have Bloodborne, the evolution of the genre. Nothing was lost. No point in going backwards at all.

sh1fty

Well they are the people giving them money. They are and will always be their number one priority.

Which is fine I guess. Personally it's why I fell off and also why I far and away prefer EZA; you never feel like you're not welcome or a valued part of the community because you aren't giving them your money (even though I actually am with my Twitch sub :p).

doop_

Banned
Whenever I come into a Kinda Funny thread I always ask myslef if I am watching the same channel as a majority of you here. Everyone seems so down and gloomy about their podcast's. If you do not like them or listen them anymore more why come in here and complain about the way they cover certain games and companies ?

SamNW

However, my bigger issue is that there is a mismatch between the expectations they had built around the show and what they deliver: I understand that a big part of their appeal is that they are down to earth in how they feel about the games they play, but when they don't do due diligence before commenting on an issue (i.e. considering both sides of an issue when making a point, or finishing a game) it can come of as having a double standard time.
I think this is a good point. There's a lot of criticism in this thread that doesn't make a ton of sense, but this gets at something important. It often feels like they're trying to walk the line between covering PlayStation thoroughly and spending time only on the things they care about, and that's tough. Both of those formulae can work, and both have a place, but it's hard to strike the right balance if you want to do both.

Their show—which I like, for the record—often aspires to be both personal and comprehensive. That's admirable, but sometimes they could serve their audience better by seriously researching a topic or giving a big game a few hours. Other times, they could serve that audience better by not covering these topics or games at all, save for a brief mention in the news segment. But the urge to dedicate time on the show to something they don't know enough about—which seems to stem from that desire to cover everything—and how that urge manifests itself in conversation is what often grates on fans and listeners.

Personally, I'm still not at the point of completely dismissing them, so I'll keep checking back, listening to the podcasts, and saying what I think.

That's where I am too. I agree with most of the criticisms in here, but it's not enough to take Colin and Greg out of my life when they have been there for at least 7 years.

Whenever I come into a Kinda Funny thread I always ask myslef if I am watching the same channel as a majority of you here. Everyone seems so down and gloomy about their podcast's. If you do not like them or listen them anymore more why come in here and complain about the way they cover certain games and companies ?

Sigh...people are fully in their right to criticize and say why they are no longer liking their podcasts....this isn't a "Let's only be fanboys" thread. I used to really like them and kinda funny early on but it has gone downhill for me bigtime.

doop_

Banned
Sigh...people are fully in their right to criticize and say why they are no longer liking their podcasts....this isn't a "Let's only be fanboys" thread. I used to really like them and kinda funny early on but it has gone downhill for me bigtime.
I am not a KF fanboy heck I don't even play on Sony platforms. I am also not saying people don't have the right to provide constructive criticism, but most of the criticism in here is not constructive and is mostly people saying they have stopped listening to their various podcast's. Maybe it is because I am a relatively new fan but I don't notice the issues many others are having with KF, and to me they are doing everything just fine.

D i Z

Why do you all keep asking the same question expecting a different answer, or no answer at all? Topics are for discussion. This is worth discussing. The guys have grown, changed. And so have their priorities. More and more people are catching onto that fact and shifting expectations.

ObsidianG

I think this is a good point. There's a lot of criticism in this thread that doesn't make a ton of sense, but this gets at something important. It often feels like they're trying to walk the line between covering PlayStation thoroughly and spending time only on the things they care about, and that's tough. Both of those formulae can work, and both have a place, but it's hard to strike the right balance if you want to do both.

Their show—which I like, for the record—often aspires to be both personal and comprehensive. That's admirable, but sometimes they could serve their audience better by seriously researching a topic or giving a big game a few hours. Other times, they could serve that audience better by not covering these topics or games at all, save for a brief mention in the news segment. But the urge to dedicate time on the show to something they don't know enough about—which seems to stem from that feeling desire to cover everything—and how that urge manifests itself in conversation is what often grates on fans and listeners.

Well said! I haven't watched the last few episodes yet, but I remembered seeing Colin making an effort trying to preface his opinions as opinions (versus facts) as a response to some criticisms he mentioned had come from listeners (I think GAF was mentioned, so this must have been before the incindent tha led to him leaving the website) so I hope they continue to move into that direction.

Nobody is perfect, but I think that they also try to improve their show, which is why I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, or accept that I will disagree with them on some topics.

Top Bottom