• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

AmuroChan

I think they are trying to respond to some of the criticism. The axing of the Q&A is a start. They realized that only hardcore fans (or a handful of available fans) were participating in the month Q&A livestreams (which, being a $15 tier on Patreon limited the potential audience even more). As a result, they got to know the names of these users and would recognize and acknowledge them elsewhere. What they're doing instead is having Ask Kinda Funny (still the $15 tier on Patreon), which is where, throughout a week, you can submit a question and then a video would be recorded for people to watch. That way, you don't have to worry about missing out as many had to do (due to work or other responsibilities, etc.). I also think hiring a full time editor will free them up to do more, varied, content.

I'm not saying they're not receptive at all. I'm saying they've become less receptive. They've said 2017 will be all about the community. I'll be interested to see if that means all of KF community or just the few hundred diehards that they know by name. I've sent them several long Patreon posts with some constructive criticisms and ideas of what I'd like to see from them. So far I've not received a response of any kind.

pelican

Am I wrong in thinking that KF's core audience is going to be quite young.

I honestly can't see many educated adults being impressed by Colin's rhetoric, nor can I see many finding Greg funny. I've checked out their content on and off, but after some complete eye rolling moments brought on by the inaccuraces which leaves their mouths I've stopped.

DXMGT

Banned

I honestly can't see many educated adults being impressed by Colin's rhetoric, nor can I see many finding Greg funny. I've checked out their content on and off, but after some complete eye rolling moments brought on by the inaccuraces which leaves their mouths I've stopped.

Greg acts like a 12 year old, so yea I'm sure there's a young audience too. Tim is the real MVP.

Greg acts like a 12 year old, so yea I'm sure theirs a young audience too. Tim is the real MVP.

Though Tim is the one most in touch with the YouTube streamer generation.

How young to you is young? When I watched KFL2, it seemed mostly like 20+ (I'm sure there were some fans younger than that who had their parents bring them).

sh1fty

I am not a KF fanboy heck I don't even play on Sony platforms. I am also not saying people don't have the right to provide constructive criticism, but most of the criticism in here is not constructive and is mostly people saying they have stopped listening to their various podcast's. Maybe it is because I am a relatively new fan but I don't notice the issues many others are having with KF, and to me they are doing everything just fine.

I think most of us are providing the reasons we've stopped listening in hopes it will get heard or at least generate interesting discussions here. I can only speak for myself, but I was a big fan of Beyond and seeing this change is what is disappointing.

Past

I remember in an episode of PS I Love U xoxo (or maybe it was Gamecast?), Greg said that he would rather play the new releases than old releases because that's what the audience wanted to hear about, as they didn't care about his thoughts on old games. Now he seemed to have pull an 180 on this? It started with TLG & FFXV and now it looks like GR2 & Yakuza 0 are also going to follow suit where he plays for like an hour and say he will go back to them, but never actually does and get caught up with an old game instead. I mean it's cool that he wants to go back and platinum Lego Marvel or whatever, but why does that take priority over covering the new releases? :/

phanphare

Banned
what the fuck is this?

iTfiqfQ.jpg

'Nothing of any note releasing at the moment ...'

Gravity Rush 2 (81 meta)
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (82 meta)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone - Future Sound (meta 83)
Kingdom Hearts Remix
Kingdom Hearts HD

I can't listen to it any more. I keep going back in the hope Colin broadens his outlook but it looks like he's made his mind up.

I never thought Colin & Greg would become so out of touch after leaving IGN. People are saying they need a third chair, and while it's true that would help, in their final months at IGN when it was just those two on Beyond they were at least still informed on mostly everything happening in the PlayStation ecosystem. Now that they're doing Kinda Funny it honestly feels like they play 10 games per year to the point where they can discuss them, while they rest they put minuscule amounts of time into. Their podcasts then just devolve into insane repetitiveness. It feels like they discussed Overcooked for at least 15 minutes per show for the last 4 months of 2016.

Not to mention they often end up complaining about the same things over and over again (why you're literally Hitler for liking physical games, bad trophy lists etc.)

That's pretty much a big fuck you from Colin to us there. Wonder what his problem is?

It really wasn't that bad. He had to stop to go to the bathroom and Greg told Kevin to keep the show going while Colin was gone (Kevin was about to stop the recording when Greg told him to keep it going). Greg answered a listener question and then Colin came back and then had a short enough conversation about poop when he came back. Then they moved on. It was a typical PS I Love You XOXO tangent. They even had a short XB1 tangent today as well. When they were discussing how Platinum's TMNT game from Activision was being delisted, they then shifted into the news about Scalebound, as its a Platinum Games game.

AmuroChan

I never thought Colin & Greg would become so out of touch after leaving IGN. People are saying they need a third chair, and while it's true that would help, in their final months at IGN when it was just those two on Beyond they were at least still informed on mostly everything happening in the PlayStation ecosystem.

A third chair would definitely benefit the show., especially if they find someone whose taste in games differ from theirs. In their final months at Beyond they always had a third chair, usually it was Marty, whom they made permanent on ep 370.

Past

Shantae came out almost a month ago, KH 2.8 HD isn't out for another two weeks, and Remix isn't out for another two months. That just leaves Gravity Rush 2 and Hatsune Miku which are very niche titles, heck outside of RE7 this is a pretty dead month.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone
Gravity Rush 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7
Digimon World: Next Order

How the hell is this "a pretty dead month"? It doesn't matter if you don't like Japanese games or if they're niche, calling January a dead month is completely false.

sora87

It really wasn't that bad. He had to stop to go to the bathroom and Greg told Kevin to keep the show going while Colin was gone (Kevin was about to stop the recording when Greg told him to keep it going). Greg answered a listener question and then Colin came back and then had a short enough conversation about poop when he came back. Then they moved on. It was a typical PS I Love You XOXO tangent. They even had a short XB1 tangent today as well. When they were discussing how Platinum's TMNT game from Activision was being delisted, they then shifted into the news about Scalebound, as its a Platinum Games game.

It came across as he knows the audience want them to talk about gravity rush 2 but he's just trolling and proud of the fact they talked about shit longer than this AAA ps4 exclusive that he's just flat out dismissed as a thing that's happening.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
January is decent for me. RE VII and Hitman (disc). Rest are meh.

January is decent for me. RE VII and Hitman (disc). Rest are meh.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about Hitman, as its technically been out for a while already. But apparently the disc has some neat behind the scenes videos or something, so it actually has something new to offer.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
As someone that went from who gives a fuck about trophies to treating Platinums like love letters to games I love(a road I half regret :p), I mirror their views on trophies that they discussed in the recent PS XOXO.
Also yes hope devs listen to it for their trophy list design. Good trophies enhance the experience.

I like Platinums the most that just make you see all of a game has to offer and don't throw you for weird time wasting loops.

Listening to the new ep now, a bit bizarre Colin would rather TLG was cancelled than fans get the game they desperately clamoured for.

I mean it's not like the game came out a dumpster truck on fire, it has an 83 meta and several GoTY awards from decent publications, so clearly Sony knew that had something good on their hands.

After what MS did with Scalebound, just felt like posting that thought.

sora87

OléGunner;228081040 said:
Listening to the new ep now, a bit bizarre Colin would rather TLG was cancelled than fans get the game they desperately clamoured for.

At this point he's just being needlessly antagonistic.

ironmang

I mean it's not like the game came out a dumpster truck on fire, it has an 83 meta and several GoTY awards from decent publications, so clearly Sony knew that had something good on their hands.

After what MS did with Scalebound, just felt like posting that thought.

Before and after him saying it should have been cancelled he says he's glad it was released for the people who enjoy it. He just doesn't feel the game was worth all that time and resources. Doesn't help that it's been in development like the entire time they've been at ign and most of kf so having to hear about a game you have no interest in for that long probably wore them down.

Bahorel

That also threw me off. He plays for an hour in total and then decides it shouldn't have existed despite many people who are so happy to have played and experienced it. It just sounds so selfish the way he said it, even if he was talking about it financially.

The last two or three podcasts they've said things that have really turned me off more than usual. Like stunningly abrasive. Colin dismissing the classic adventure genre as being completely stupid, the ignorant discussion on the gay themes in the last of us, it's just a lot of negative banter on a show I primarily want to listen to for info. (Plus that game developer going after Kyle Bosman on their show put me in a funk.)

I really want to quit them but I seem to keep clicking on it when it comes up on my feed. Maybe I'm just desperate to hear more people talk about games when I've run out of EZA content, I don't know.

Before and after him saying it should have been cancelled he says he's glad it was released for the people who enjoy it. He just doesn't feel the game was worth all that time and resources. Doesn't help that it's been in development like the entire time they've been at ign and most of kf so having to hear about a game you have no interest in for that long probably wore them down.

All the resources? Once again Colin is full of mis-information...The game was done by a small team and was not in development all this time, Shu has said it was not a lot to make financially, it was put on hold for awhile and then brought back for PS4. Another reason i stopped listening to these guys, sad people are watching their podcast and get so much BS from them. He should do more fact checking. TLG was not a large drain financially or on resources.

ironmang

All the resources? Once again Colin is full of mis-information...The game was done by a small team and was not in development all this time, Shu has said it was not a lot to make financially, it was put on hold for awhile and then brought back for PS4. Another reason i stopped listening to these guys, sad people are watching their podcast and get so much BS from them. He should do more fact checking. TLG was not a large drain financially or on resources.

Eh, I don't know if he said "resources" but he's definitely brought up the time and delays. Still, he doesn't feel it's worth it but said he was glad people who wanted it got it. Like I said, I imagine that got tiring having to talk about this game basically the entire time they've been podcasting when they don't care about those kind of games.

Eh, I don't know if he said "resources" but he's definitely brought up the time and delays. Still, he doesn't feel it's worth it but said he was glad people who wanted it got it. Like I said, I imagine that got tiring having to talk about this game basically the entire time they've been podcasting when they don't care about those kind of games.
Not sure how TLG could be a 'waste' in Colin's point of view, considering that he is open about not liking Team ICO/Gen Design games. So...any time they would've spent on another project would've likely been a project he also wouldn't have cared for. On top of that the game wasn't that expensive, and Sony didn't have much else to spend their marketing budget during the holidays on anyway. I guess he could be upset about the time a subset of developers from Japan Studio spent on it, yet most of that studio is on Knack 2 and Gravity Rush 2, two games he has been very dismissive of and doesn't seem to care about either.

The point is, it's fine if TLG isn't for him, but he was being very dismissive and rude about something many in their community probably like, only because he didn't like it, and the criticism he made of it doesn't make much sense considering his own tastes.

ironmang

Not sure how TLG could be a 'waste' in Colin's point of view, considering that he is open about not liking Team ICO/Gen Design games. So...any time they would've spent on another project would've likely been a project he also wouldn't have cared for. On top of that the game wasn't that expensive, and Sony didn't have much else to spend their marketing budget during the holidays on anyway. I guess he could be upset about the time a subset of developers from Japan Studio spent on it, yet most of that studio is on Knack 2 and Gravity Rush 2, two games he has been very dismissive of and doesn't seem to care about either.

The point is, it's fine if TLG isn't for him, but he was being very dismissive and rude about something many in their community probably like, only because he didn't like it, and the criticism he made of it doesn't make much sense considering his own tastes.

He said it was glad it was released for the people who enjoy it. Why is this such a big deal for you guys? lol

He said it was glad it was released for the people who enjoy it. Why is this such a big deal for you guys? lol
It's just an example of his repeated dismissiveness and negativity. I generally like the show still, and I do think Colin has improved in the last couple months compared to fall of last year, but he still tends to do this sort of thing. There are times where he is extremely dismissive or rude about things for seemingly no reason, and it's off-putting.

Can someone explain to me how can Colin stomach almost all of the Tales of games but he couldn't stand more than 8 hours of FFXV? A game from a series he says he loves and that's objectively better than any recent Tales game in almost every conceivable way?

I was amazed to see that both Xillia games' reviews on ign were made by him showering hem with praise, giving them both an 8.0 and admitting to having sunk in 40 hours with each. But FFXV is where he draws the line?

And what's with all the Gravity Rush 2 hate? It hasn't come out and they're already saying 15 people and going to play it. But oh Tales of Berseria? Can't wait to play that mediocre junk food!

Can someone explain to me how can Colin stomach almost all of the Tales of games but he couldn't stand more than 8 hours of FFXV? A game from a series he says he loves and that's objectively better than any recent Tales game in almost every conceivable way?

I was amazed to see that both Xillia games' reviews on ign were made by him showering hem with praise, giving them both an 8.0 and admitting to having sunk in 40 hours with each. But FFXV is where he draws the line?

And what's with all the Gravity Rush 2 hate? It hasn't come out and they're already saying 15 people and going to play it. But oh Tales of Berseria? Can't wait to play that mediocre junk food!

Never understood how it's ever worth getting so pissy over someone else's gaming prefrences.

sora87

Colin made up his mind about Gravity Rush 2, FF XV and TLG long before he even played any of them. He can be quite silly and stubborn when it comes to things like this.

Though Tim is the one most in touch with the YouTube streamer generation.

How young to you is young? When I watched KFL2, it seemed mostly like 20+ (I'm sure there were some fans younger than that who had their parents bring them).

At KFL to be fair, only those 18 and older go because they drink and shit afterwards, and those that do go after are 21 and above for obvious reasons.

Colin made up his mind about Gravity Rush 2, FF XV and TLG long before he even played any of them. He can be quite silly and stubborn when it comes to things like this.

You can probably say that about a lot of people. The only difference with Colin is that he has a wide reach for people to hear his opinions/preferences. It's one reason why I don't think I'd have the guts to do what they do. Sometimes, I even hesitate on posting things to forums. There's always going to be people who think opposite of you. Like I said elsewhere (maybe this thread), opinions are often fickle and confusing things. Sometimes they just don't make sense to everyone but the people holding them.

I've only played Xillia but I had far more fun with it than FFXV. It sounds like you're projecting a bit too much.

I disagree with Colin plenty but calling him out for not liking a game many are disappointed with seems like the wrong direction to take.

And yes Gravity Rush 2 is going to bomb hard and no one is going to play it. I say that as a huge fan of the first. What else do you expect for a sequel to a Vita game?

Past

At this point I highly doubt they even going to play and finish Persona 5 when it comes out. It doesn't look that they have it in them to play 50+ hours games anymore.

Top Bottom