• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Can't wait to hear Tim's impressions on the Switch. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how they incorporate it into their gamescast from switch launch going forward.

Does he agree with the Republicans dismantling the ACA?

He does. He voted for people that promised to do this.

Does he agree with giving tax breaks to the rich because of trickle-down economics?

He does. He voted for people that promised to do this.

He left the Republican Party months ago tho. He's just fiscally conservative and libertarian leaning otherwise with socially liberal views. Anyway take this stuff to the KF OT - this is a PSILY thread.

I want to point out that in a thread about a podcast people are being told not to discuss their opinion on the host of the podcast based on notable characteristics and discussions had by that host (even in the podcast where he may go off topic some).

The dude is 1 of 2 hosts in a podcast where he often jokes about not talking about video games. Is there a purity test for posts now? And I say all of this with respect to the OP that made this thread and constantly pushes discussions while not focusing on the negative.

If so, why are we discussing Tim's impression on the Switch. "This is a PSILY thread."

He put so many hours into Civ V. He was obsessed with it for a while. A PC game!

I did not know Colin was a Civ fan, I must have started listening after he was done playing a lot. Has he ever mentioned his thoughts of Civ on consoles?

I did not know Colin was a Civ fan, I must have started listening after he was done playing a lot. Has he ever mentioned his thoughts of Civ on consoles?

He's only really played V and a little of VI. Wonder if he's played the Vita release of Civilization Revolution 2+ on Vita.

I know they won't talk Switch on PSILY, just expressing my respect for team and how I feel he may be underutilized.

I don't think he's under-utilised to be honest. He wouldn't really offer anything in the way of PSILY –– hell, even Colin and Greg are struggling in that department.

The Gamescast is where he shines; maybe it's just an issue of having shows that better incorporate the whole crew, which is my thinking. Something they're trying to do with the KF Morning Show.

I want to point out that in a thread about a podcast people are being told not to discuss their opinion on the host of the podcast based on notable characteristics and discussions had by that host (even in the podcast where he may go off topic some).

The dude is 1 of 2 hosts in a podcast where he often jokes about not talking about video games. Is there a purity test for posts now? And I say all of this with respect to the OP that made this thread and constantly pushes discussions while not focusing on the negative.

If so, why are we discussing Tim's impression on the Switch. "This is a PSILY thread."

I get what you're saying, but this is the gaming side. If you want to, you can post the political stuff in off-topic or better suited, the Kinda Funny OT which is suited to all sorts of stuff you mentioned.

Yeah I get it may seem hypocritical to mention the Switch but it's not too far fetched, especially when the stuff's hot and trending rn :p

ArmageddB

Tim Gettys is in New York for the Switch event and has unleashed a flurry of impressions on Twitter. I'd love to see him on PSILY more, he adds a much needed extra voice and has improved immensely when it comes to discussion and breaking down his opinions.

No, Tim's awesome and has come a long way, but he's no PlayStation fan boy (in the most positive sense).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What are some other good youtubers for playstation/gaming news/opinions? I follow these, Jim, Easy Allies & Funhaus off the top of my head

sh1fty

What are some other good youtubers for playstation/gaming news/opinions? I follow these, Jim, Easy Allies & Funhaus off the top of my head

GiantBomb is worth a listen. Industry vets with a ton of knowledge and insight.

Cane & Rinse is a good time too if you find an episode that's dedicated to a game you're interested in (they dedicate each episode to discussing 1 game). Listening to the Persona 4 one got me re-invigorated and out of my funk with that game.

Lashley

Thanks, will check them out.

Top comment on this weeks PSILY: Can't wait for their RE7 review. "I opened the mansion door and I just wasn't feeling it."

lol

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.

You follow Jim for "good" playstation news?

alemmon

Man... I love Easy Allies. The podcast hosted by Kyle Bosman and they have and Frame Trap hosted by Ben Moore are great. I also like the Playstation Blogcast. I know that they can come off as Playstation shills sometimes but they are still great to listen to.

I have also started listening to the Super Deformed Gamescast. Solid group of guys and I think most of them are gaffers.

ArmageddB

Man... I love Easy Allies. The podcast hosted by Kyle Bosman and they have and Frame Trap hosted by Ben Moore are great. I also like the Playstation Blogcast. I know that they can come off as Playstation shills sometimes but they are still great to listen to.

I have also started listening to the Super Deformed Gamescast. Solid group of guys and I think most of them are gaffers.

Well ... they are employed by Playstation ...

I'll have to try the Easy Allies podcast. I've been listending to Bombcast, but wow do those guys like to ramble... It's good when they get to the point, but it sure takes a lot to get there. "yeah ... yeah ... "

firelogic

I'll have to try the Easy Allies podcast. I've been listending to Bombcast, but wow do those guys like to ramble... It's good when they get to the point, but it sure takes a lot to get there. "yeah ... yeah ... "

I find their rambling a lot more entertaining than PSILY's rambling. GB has more amusing/interesting things they go off on tangents with. Too bad Vinny is on GBEast. Jeff and Vinny were the best combo.

Anticol

Banned

Really? GB rambles that's true but come on at least they talk about interesting or entertaining stuff PSILY only rambles about the water man and Colin only rambles about dicks for some reason, saying Greg sucks a lot of them or how big his is or shit like that, that guy is weird.

SamNW

I think Giant Bomb's format is superb. Sure, the Bombcast is full of rambling and asides, but I think that gives the podcast a lot of character. Hell, I wish it were longer, if anything, but I totally understand that not everyone likes how they do it.

alemmon

Yeah I get that they are employed by Playstation but it can get a little much sometimes, especially when it comes to Playstation Vue or PS Now.

ArmageddB

lol, Colin trolling again:

C2Wesh4WgAEngaB.jpg:small

I hope we get some Switch vs Vita talk.

Every company seems to have first party problems. Maybe this is just the status quo now.

Nintendo doesnt.

Sony had been slowly but surely downsizing thier first party studios for the last 5 years.

They're clearly prioritizing marketing rights with the big publishers over thier smaller first party stuff. But to thier credit they are publishing Kojimas game so thats good.

The first party outlook for ps4 still looks good now, but im nervous about half of thier studios getting shut down by the time ps5 launches.

sora87

ffs im sure they do it delibrately now

Do they hate their viewerbase or something? It's like AMC & The Walking Dead

But it's SO FUNNY that they talk about shit and toilet roll for longer than they talk about Gravity Rush 2!

It's not even kinda funny.

schaft0620

Nintendo doesnt.

Sony had been slowly but surely downsizing thier first party studios for the last 5 years.

They're clearly prioritizing marketing rights with the big publishers over thier smaller first party stuff. But to thier credit they are publishing Kojimas game so thats good.

The first party outlook for ps4 still looks good now, but im nervous about half of thier studios getting shut down by the time ps5 launches.

You watch the Switch event?

Yeah, I hear Super Deformed Gamescast is pretty cool, and handsome.

SamNW

I don't pull punches when I think that PS I Love You deserves criticism, so I feel like it's only fair to also single out excellent moments for praise.

The shit talk notwithstanding, today's episode was outstanding. Item #2 on Roper's report—Guerilla Cambridge's closure—led to a really good conversation about first party development. I feel like Greg and Colin did an excellent job of discussing Sony's recent cuts with nuance, compassion, and depth. This is their format at its best.

sora87

I don't pull punches when I think that PS I Love You deserves criticism, so I feel like it's only fair to also single out excellent moments for praise.

The shit talk notwithstanding, today's episode was outstanding. Item #2 on Roper's report—Guerilla Cambridge's closure—led to a really good conversation about first party development. I feel like Greg and Colin did an excellent job of discussing Sony's recent cuts with nuance, compassion, and depth. This is their format at its best.

It will suck if they're anywhere near right about the first party stuff, that "artistic crap" as Greg put it is why I love the playstation eco system, intriguing, inventive games that take risks and aren't like much else out there. If they just start pumping out boring looking games like Days Gone then that would suck.

SamNW

It will suck if they're anywhere near right about the first party stuff, that "artistic crap" as Greg put it is why I love the playstation eco system, intriguing, inventive games that take risks and aren't like much else out there. If they just start pumping out boring looking games like Days Gone then that would suck.
I think they may be overstating it a bit, but in general, that does seem to be the direction in which Sony's moving with first-party development. Nonetheless, PlayStation still gets more small, niche, and experimental games than any other console ecosystem. It doesn't matter too much to me if Flower or What Remains of Edith Finch are published by SIE or not, so long as they're able to exist.

I'm actually really heartened to see Annapurna moving into video game production. Megan Ellison, if the work Annapurna Pictures has done in film is any indication, is far more concerned with interesting art than making a lot of money. I would love to see them ramp up their Interactive division in the years to come. Of course, I would also love to see more corporations like Sony—profit-driven first and foremost—allocate some resources to smaller prestige projects that may be risky or experimental, but I get why that may not always be the case.

Japan Studio will continue push the artsy games and so will Media Molecule. Quantic Dream as well if they renew their partnership after Detroit is completed. Kojima and From software also makes games that deviate from the standard fare. The rest of the first party and partner studios seems to be heavily AAA Western though.

As soon as I saw Colin walk in with the toilet paper, I knew people in this thread would lose their $#!+.

Pun intended.

On topic, I hate seeing Sony hemorrhaging studios like this. That's one thing they should not be copying MS from last gen. If MS still had Bungie and Bioware, I'd own an XBO this gen. So, I hate seeing these cool studios getting fed to the wolves. In fact, they need to add Housemarque to the Sony family, not delete Devs.

Past

My main problem with Greg & Colin is that they barely finish games anymore. They play a game for a couple hours and then they say that they're just not feeling it or that they're not in the mood for this type of game right now and say they will come back to it eventually, but never actually does.

thisisamul

Neo Member
I'm a fan of the Kinda Funny guys in general - but I agree the show seems to have changed and them not finishing games seems to be a recurring thing these days.

Time for the shameless self plug, my good buddy and I started a gaming podcast (we're just two random buddies that love games and decided to start a simple show with very low production values) - but we do generally finish games and enjoy dissecting them. We probably aren't the most current with our shows (we just did a show about the Witcher 3 which as you know has been out for a very long time)!

You can find our podcast, Breaking Bored, here:
Breaking Bored

You can also find us on iTunes by searching Breaking Bored.

Would love to hear what the folks at GAF think about it :)

Lashley

My main problem with Greg & Colin is that they barely finish games anymore. They play a game for a couple hours and then they say that they're just not feeling it or that they're not in the mood for this type of game right now and say they will come back to it eventually, but never actually does.
My biggest critique too. Seems to be most other people's too, going off the YouTube comments.

meanspartan

Ya, they even do this with many of the games they LIKE haha.

I didn't really care until FFXV. Colin just sort of proclaimed it to be bad, and then criticized it for patching in more story (and thats valid), but he didn't much play it at all.

RedAssedApe

Banned

they'd probably get to finishing more games if they stopped the dang trophy hunting. they seriously need to go to rehab for that shit.

greg was talking about how he had Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 but instead of continuing to play those he went back to work on some trophies from some Lego game lol

graybot

I still enjoy most of PSILY

But the final ¼ of the show I think needs a revamp. Although being a trophy fan that bit should stay

The stuff at the beginning talking about toilet habits is quite funny to me. Suppose it depends what type of humour you have.

I think they should have a segment where both try to play a game they normally wouldn’t for at least a couple of hours and discuss it. Specifically PS exclusives

Another great episode, there knowledge of studios etc and cambridge talk was really intresting, however i think they are missing Dreams trump card, its PSVR compatible, I am getting that game day 1 for that alone, also as they mentioned MM have just opened a another studio in Brighton, think this will be like XDev as brighton is hub of UK indie development, they may also have LBP4 in developement or another small new IP. Really wish they did not close so many studios bit worried about PSVR support.

Great episode this week, missed the poop talk as I wasn't paying attention in the beginning during my commute to work.

Loved the in depth discussion about all first party studios.
Personally I think MM are safe as they brought Sony a lot of cash with LBP 1 and 2.

Sony Bend on the other hand need to recoup dev costs and make a profit on Days Gone as they've made sweet fuck all since 2011.
Can't wait to see more of that game at E3.

ArmageddB

Great show. Nobody knows Sony 1st party studios like these guys. I love the insight.

Also ... it would have been so easy for them to bring in the Scalebound news to this show ... but they didn't. I love how they keep it focused on Playstation and don't turn it into a console war show.

Poop talk was hilarious ... you know they're doing it just because it pisses some of you off :)

Top Bottom