• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

aadiboy

PS I love You is obviously more focused on the business side of gaming than anything else, which is fine for people who like that stuff. It's really not the Podcast Beyond successor everyone thought it was going to be.

Greg had Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 for three weeks now. He said he played them for one night, but wasn't feeling them after one session so he went and played Lego Marvel instead. I was pretty disappointed when he said that as I really wanted to hear his in-dept thoughts about both of those games, but I guess getting a platinum on a 4 year old game is more important to him!
They should probably rename the podcast at this point.

Brock2621

Dang... some serious salt thrown on this thread. I actually just became a Patron the other day because I haven't been able to find another gaming podcast with such good chemistry, opposing points of view and varied personalities I feel between the group there is someone for everyone. Gregs is happy go lucky and outgoing, well articulated and clearly leads. Colin is a reserved, anti-social pessimist with generally solid logic even if you disagree. And Tim is a younger, less mature "bro" that relate well to relavent trends and a little more suave.

They arent a review podcast, I understand that but they seem to always have informed opinions based off references of games they've played in the past to give the audience a context.

I could tell they were getting really burnt before Christmas and a little more down than usual but I must say, I really am enjoying their stuff in my podcast cycle.

I feel like based on this thread I'm a minority, not majority on GAF?

Dang... some serious salt thrown on this thread. I actually just became a Patron the other day because I haven't been able to find another gaming podcast with such good chemistry, opposing points of view and varied personalities I feel between the group there is someone for everyone. Gregs is happy go lucky and outgoing, well articulated and clearly leads. Colin is a reserved, anti-social pessimist with generally solid logic even if you disagree. And Tim is a younger, less mature "bro" that relate well to relavent trends and a little more suave.

They arent a review podcast, I understand that but they seem to always have informed opinions based off references of games they've played in the past to give the audience a context.

I could tell they were getting really burnt before Christmas and a little more down than usual but I must say, I really am enjoying their stuff in my podcast cycle.

I feel like based on this thread I'm a minority, not majority on GAF?

You are probably in the majority when it comes to people who actually listen to their stuff instead of instant dismissal elsewhere on GAF.

kbhomes

Neo Member
I'm not sure why you guys are looking to Greg and Colin for detailed impressions on the latest releases... it clearly isn't what they do anymore.

They've said countless times that they love not *having* to play things they don't want to... I don't blame them.

Usually I'm fully on board with Colin and Greg when they discuss this topic, and how they feel liberated in the fact that reviewing games is not their job and that they can play the games they want to play now. But how do you reconcile that with Greg's Resident Evil 7 rant from their morning show where he was so angry that he received a marketing PR stunt instead of the actual game itself (which they were to receive at a later date) because it's their job to put up content on video games? It seems contradictory to their message of "it's not our job to review games, it's to play the games we want", as though he's angry because he wanted RE7 and he didn't get it.

PepperedHam

Meh. If that building story is potentially your only motivator to go on, differentiating franchise entries from each other, and Greg Miller wasn't gripped by said story, what remains? From the look of it a series where if you played one, you played them all.
Huber also mentioned that systems and locations expand, not just that the story culminates. Every Yakuza game offers refinements on top of what is already there. If Yakuza are cut and paste then every sequel ever is cut and paste and no one should ever play them. The combat enhancements alone in Yakuza 0 look to breathe new life into the game at least for me. As does bringing the setting to the 80s and offering substories and mini games contextualized around that time period.

I don't think it's fair to play a little bit of the game, see that it's doing what Yakuza games do, then use that as ammunition to say that if you've played one you've played them all because it continues to be a game in the Yakuza series. It's fair to not enjoy a game or series but it annoys me when someone can sum up a franchise that builds on previous entries in various ways, not just story, by saying you've played one you've played them all. Especially when he didn't really care to dig deeper or give it more of a shot. Just how I see it.

plidex

Usually I'm fully on board with Colin and Greg when they discuss this topic, and how they feel liberated in the fact that reviewing games is not their job and that they can play the games they want to play now. But how do you reconcile that with Greg's Resident Evil 7 rant from their morning show where he was so angry that he received a marketing PR stunt instead of the actual game itself (which they were to receive at a later date) because it's their job to put up content on video games? It seems contradictory to their message of "it's not our job to review games, it's to play the games we want", as though he's angry because he wanted RE7 and he didn't get it.

That's a fair point. Greg has gone even beyond and said that they are not journalists. So they are like internet celebrities who get free stuff so the companies get promotion.

Just like how Casey Neistat gets free stuff. When he gets an electric bike/skateboard/scooter or a drone, he uses it for an hour and includes it in his video, he never gives a comprehensive review. It sounds just like what KF does.

Obviously Casey would never get mad if DJI or GoPro don't send him the latest drone, he isn't entitled. To be fair, his content isn't only related to that, if KF don't have games, they arguably don't have content. They could always buy the games though.

Not sure with people claiming they don't finish games anymore. They play and finish plenty of games, maybe not ones you want them to, but games nevertheless. Not see why they should force themselves to finish a game that's not for them.

I know Colin at least beat Infinite Warfare, BF1, Titanfall 2, and RE7. Greg I don't know because he made his trophies private on PSNprofiles.

What are you trying to hide Greg??!?!

He's playing a game that he can't talk about yet, so hid his trophy list. He normally does this with games he's received pre-embargo (he did this with MGSV IIRC).

sora87

Very good point!

Brock2621

I just watched it and they were having trouble getting it to work because no cables were shipped with it, correct? So the aniquated tech involved in the PR stunt was acting as a gatekeeper to potentially important content (possibility of game codes they need for playing). I think Greg starts out expressing his views as sarcasm and dismissive humor but then rationally explains why it's an unnecessary burden to pull stunts like this on the reviewers, commentators and modern game journalists.

Especially now with razer thin deadlines of having relevant topics/info up quickly, being self employed and trying to run the business. For him, on top of being the talent and "journalist," stuff like this can really hinder efficiency. Maybe it's because these guys started in a spare-bedroom so they are having to claw their way out of that dormroom "bros" image people have always seen them as, but they don't have the luxury of "leaving the office at the office" anymore. They don't just punch a time cards, they have to make content constantly, schedule meetings, quality check apparel, buy flights, scheduaking and ensuring their pets are taken care of, doing boatloads of paperwork from w2's, 1099's, bi-monthly 941 forms for social security, Medicare and unemployment, editing, recording VO's for animations, booking and renting equipment for Kinda Funny Live 3 etc. etc.

The list is endless and they simply want to complete the game as soon as possible to provide informed feedback during discussions. Anything that hinders or extends the process to reach that end goal could easily be viewed as annoying when pressed for time in any other aspect of their business. I respect these guys and what they do and while Greg could have certainly used less flamboyant terms to describe his anxiety to get it working to see if anything important was on it, his point is valid and a reasonable expectation: Treat game journalists as industry peers and value each other's time in relation to things of this nature with clarity and consideration. Save the PR stunts for the fans, whom both KF and RE7 marketing team are trying to make a priority to entertain first and foremost.

Blam

Yup. He said he's gotten at least three of them. However, according to Greg, the waiting list for people wanting to receive them is much larger. So, I guess it's not going as well as he'd like.

Damn that's fucking bad :p, but he's not really giving it that much of a push so whatever

killroy87

Damn that's fucking bad :p, but he's not really giving it that much of a push so whatever

Well, it's an incredibly hard thing to convince someone to do haha. You're asking people to give away, and pay to ship a console of decent value out of sheer goodness of their heart.

The intention is good, but I can't imagine anyone expected much more.

Blam

Well, it's an incredibly hard thing to convince someone to do haha. You're asking people to give away, and pay to ship a console of decent value out of sheer goodness of their heart.

The intention is good, but I can't imagine anyone expected much more.

Yeah the amount of scalpers would most likely be insane. But that's what I'd be expecting from them at least.

Yup. I was actually surprised when he went on that rant. I was thinking to myself...but I thought you liked being liberated from playing games?

I'm not sure why you guys are looking to Greg and Colin for detailed impressions on the latest releases... it clearly isn't what they do anymore.

They've said countless times that they love not *having* to play things they don't want to... I don't blame them.

Personally, I'm happy to get my detailed impressions and reviews elsewhere... I listen to psilu for the banter.

Maybe they shouldn't be making a weekly news and impressions podcast anymore, then. Right now they just seem like they want to have it both ways: a Podcast Beyond size audience without having actually deliver what that audience listened for anymore.

Omerta

Maybe they shouldn't be making a weekly news and impressions podcast anymore, then. Right now they just seem like they want to have it both ways: a Podcast Beyond size audience without having actually deliver what that audience listened for anymore.

Regardless of audience size, they're different shows.

People who don't feel like they're getting what they want from it will fall off and the listership will be an accurate reflection of popularity.

How long has this podcast been a thing now? 70 episodes? Surely people know what they're getting by this stage?

Lexad

I stopped listening and not because of the reasons that the salt flows in this thread. They just seemed to have different interests and wasn't a fan of the trophy discussions dominating the show. I was looking more for impressions and news mixed together not just news.

But I am not gonna sit here in this thread and continue to complain the way you guys have for the last 6 months. I still very much respect the work Colin and Greg do, it just isn't for me. I very much enjoy EZA and the current podcast Beyond on IGN. I really recommend you guys do the same and find something you enjoy because this thread isn't healthy for anyone involved.

I stopped listening and not because of the reasons that the salt flows in this thread. They just seemed to have different interests and wasn't a fan of the trophy discussions dominating the show. I was looking more for impressions and news mixed together not just news.

But I am not gonna sit here in this thread and continue to complain the way you guys have for the last 6 months. I still very much respect the work Colin and Greg do, it just isn't for me. I very much enjoy EZA and the current podcast Beyond on IGN. I really recommend you guys do the same and find something you enjoy because this thread isn't healthy for anyone involved.

Well, that's bound to happen when there are only two hosts, who also happen to have somewhat similar tastes. EZA has 9 guys that rotate in and out of their podcasts (apart from Bosman and Jones on EZA Podcast and Moore on Frametrap) and Giant Bomb's Giant Bombcast, while a more consistent lineup of 4-5 people, often have different viewpoints. I enjoy PS I Love You XOXO, but agree that a third or fourth chair could do wonders. Peak Podcast Beyond was Miller, Moriarty, Clements, and Goldfarb.

These guys really need a third chair to spice things up. 2016's two holiday tentpole PlayStation titles launched and neither of these guys have them the time of day (FFXV and TLG). Greg even hosted the FFXV event last year and didn't play long enough to give a decent opinion. Meanwhile Tim Gettys did play both but if you only hear PSILY you'd never know that and would never get to hear his opinion/recomendation on these games.

Greg and Colin can't and won't play/like everything. But a permanent or rotating third chair would bring more variety to the table.

Lexad

I think that is a great point. Beyond also benefits from this. I know max scoville grates on people but I personally enjoy his sense of humor and makes some great points. Having a rotating stable with Alana, goldfarb, Altano, sliva, and others keeps it fresh.

It doesn't help when I don't live on Vita island and that ends up being a large portion of the show as well.

Once again, I love Colin and Greg, but I think xoxo is just not really what I am looking for anymore. I love their entrepreneurial spirit and wish them the best.

Neonep

These guys really need a third chair to spice things up. 2016's two holiday tentpole PlayStation titles launched and neither of these guys have them the time of day (FFXV and TLG). Greg even hosted the FFXV event last year and didn't play long enough to give a decent opinion. Meanwhile Tim Gettys did play both but if you only hear PSILY you'd never know that and would never get to hear his opinion/recomendation on these games.

Greg and Colin can't and won't play/like everything. But a permanent or rotating third chair would bring more variety to the table.
They should bring Tim in. He essentially plays the games that Colin & Greg don't but at the same time it would essentially be the same as Gamescast.

Roufianos

tbh they seem to do this all the time now

what was the last game they played to completion? Anyone know?

A game that isn't an indie vita game

This is why I'm glad I discovered Easy Allies. Their tastes are much more in line with my own.

I've got no interest at all in constantly hearing about all those Indie Vita games.

Simo

They should bring Tim in. He essentially plays the games that Colin & Greg don't but at the same time it would essentially be the same as Gamescast.

Essentially why I dumped this show and only watch Gamescast. Tim's excitement, and that he plays a lot of games as you said, is just more refreshing than what's being offered here on PSILY unfortunately.

Phatcorns

Was kind of curious if anyone else had kind of dropped off on the show too. This post pretty much sums it up for me.

Although I will add that when they didn't get PS4 Pros it was really frustrating for me because I want to hear impressions and opinions on that stuff. And being the only Playstation centric podcast I listen to, their refusal to get one was baffling to me. I can't imagine being someone who covers games not wanting to try out a system and letting your audience know what the actual experience is.

Overtech

Neo Member
I still really enjoy the show and maybe it's because my tastes have matured along with Colin and Greg over the years. That being said, a 3rd chair would really add more variety of opinions to the show. Problem is, if it's Tim, then it will just be a PlayStation version of Gamescast. They've mentioned hiring a full time editor soon, so maybe he'd make a good addition.

AmuroChan

He's playing a game that he can't talk about yet, so hid his trophy list. He normally does this with games he's received pre-embargo (he did this with MGSV IIRC).

You don't need to hide your trophy list for an embargo. You just can't talk about the game. Colin doesn't hide his trophy list. I saw him playing TLG and Tales of Berseria before their embargo's up.

firelogic

You don't need to hide your trophy list for an embargo. You just can't talk about the game. Colin doesn't hide his trophy list. I saw him playing TLG and Tales of Berseria before their embargo's up.

You would if it's a game that hasn't been announced yet. Kind of weird that an unannounced game has live trophies but it could be an indie title.

jacobeid

Banned
Maybe it's time to shutter the PS-centric show then? They clearly don't have enough content to do their regular multiplatform games shows AND a PS-centric one. They don't have diverse enough interests in the game library so there's a lot of overlap anyway.

I kind of agree. I think they should cancel PS Ily and focus on the gamescast. They just aren't the Playstation-centric folks that they used to be. "The #1 PlayStation Podcast" is extremely misleading when they don't even want to play or keep current with PS4 offerings, which is fine, but why is there a show then?

sora87

You would if it's a game that hasn't been announced yet. Kind of weird that an unannounced game has live trophies but it could be an indie title.

Plus they don't even seem to care about playstation games except for the odd few AAA marketed titles like Horizon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
roper's report feels out of date by the time episodes go up.

easy allies has that same issue sometimes when they film their episodes early and new news drops.

Meh. If that building story is potentially your only motivator to go on, differentiating franchise entries from each other, and Greg Miller wasn't gripped by said story, what remains? From the look of it a series where if you played one, you played them all.

The side missions, diversions and combat?

I guess the stories are kind of alike because the protagonists never die. But they differentiate in plenty of other ways: A large part of 3 was centred around a orphanage, 4 had three additional playable characters and 5 had a goddamn Idol rhythm game xD. 4 also had you playing as a Chinese detective, 5 as a washed up baseball pro; their stories were nothing alike.

I'm so sick of Colin moaning about there being too many games on the PlayStation Store. It's such a non-issue and the fact that he gets so mad about it is actually really sad.

newjeruse

I'm really confounded by Colin going on and on about there being too many Playstation games. I truly believe that getting rid of the worst 10% of games on the PS Store would do nothing to my browsing experience. I don't understand why this argument is a hill worth dying on for him. I truly hope "Colin Was Right" is not putting him in a situation where he needs to manufacture hot takes.

And meanwhile, while the show is constantly steered back to that fruitless discussion, both of these guys completely miss the forest for the trees. They are complaining that there are too many bad games available, while the Playstation is in the middle of a Japanese renaissance. Yakuza Zero is summarily dismissed as an also-ran by Greg and Colin, while almost every reviewer is championing it as the series' peak. Of course they don't have to like it. Tastes are tastes. But a third chair would really help sort out the echo chamber and provide a burst of life.

bigjig

I'm really confounded by Colin going on and on about there being too many Playstation games. I truly believe that getting rid of the worst 10% of games on the PS Store would do nothing to my browsing experience. I don't understand why this argument is a hill worth dying on for him. I truly hope "Colin Was Right" is not putting him in a situation where he needs to manufacture hot takes.

And meanwhile, while the show is constantly steered back to that fruitless discussion, both of these guys completely miss the forest for the trees. They are complaining that there are too many bad games available, while the Playstation is in the middle of a Japanese renaissance. Yakuza Zero is summarily dismissed as an also-ran by Greg and Colin, while almost every reviewer is championing it as the series' peak. Of course they don't have to like it. Tastes are tastes. But a third chair would really help sort out the echo chamber and provide a burst of life.

Yeah, I think I'm done at this point. I might give the show another listen in a couple of months time to see if things have improved, but the drop off in quality is noticeable. If anything this really shows how essential a third person like Goldfarb or Clements was to Beyond's success.

Karu

roper's report feels out of date by the time episodes go up.

easy allies has that same issue sometimes when they film their episodes early and new news drops.
I think they film on Mondays afternoon(?) and put it up the next day. Not much you can do. EZA actively gates it podcast behind a paywall for three days, so I would agree there to a degree.

And I think Colin's argument in regards to the storefront is more of a proactive one, looking at Steam and the AppStores - his sentiment is right in my opinion. Obviously the PSStore right now, isn't there yet by any means.

AmuroChan

If the trophies are on PSN then it doesn't matter. Colin & Greg routinely talk about new trophy lists that pop up on Exophase or PSN Profiles for games that are announced or unannounced. Puyo Puyo Tetris was never announced but the trophy list leaked. Colin brought that up on the show several weeks ago. Same with many PS2 and Indie games where the trophy lists leaked before their announcements on the PS Blog.

I don't get it either. PSN has way bigger issues that need to be addressed, and they choose to focus on there being too many games?

Servbot24

Banned
I like Collin but thank god he's not in charge of curating PS games. A bunch of my favorite games would no longer exist.

It also seems like for as much as he knows about games, he doesn't understand the game development process. Making games is a shitstorm and it's often not clear if a game will be good until the final stretch when it's too late to turn back. He might have heard about the concept of Journey and said "too weird, that game won't sell, not approved", or seen it midway through development and said "this isn't coming together yet, cancel it".

Past

The side missions, diversions and combat?

I guess the stories are kind of alike because the protagonists never die. But they differentiate in plenty of other ways: A large part of 3 was centred around a orphanage, 4 had three additional playable characters and 5 had a goddamn Idol rhythm game xD. 4 also had you playing as a Chinese detective, 5 as a washed up baseball pro; their stories were nothing alike.

Greg only played through the first chapter too, he's writing it off way too quickly. The game opens up with a lot of side contents and mini-games after the first chapter. The first chapter is pretty linear with a lot of mini-games blocked and no sub-stories. I wish he would give the game another chance, he's not being fair.

Also, I think Colin would love the series if he gave it a shot, an action JRPG with an engaging story and characters would be right up his alley. And that's the thing about Yakuza, it is pretty much an JRPG, the leveling system, the boss fight at an end of a chapter, the random encounters, the crafting system, random loots, etc... Colin would dig that shit up. Greg describing it as similar to Dynasty Warriors and that "if you played one of them, you've played them all" seems to have completely sway Colin away from the series which is a shame.

Top Bottom