• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

firelogic

There's another thread here about huge lineups for PSVR in Japan after they got a new shipment in. PSVR won't die if the demand is this high.

That's because they have clear prejudices against some games and eventually they end up playing them just for a couple of hours. Look at some of their "reviews". It's like: Colin "I played it for an hour", Greg "I played it for 2 hours". And this makes their opinions potentially worthless and makes them look extremely unprofessional.
In comparison, look at Daniel Bloodworth from Easy Allies. He started playing TLG and after a few hours we was not much into it. He stuck with it and at the end he loved it. That's someone who cares about video games and thinks to have a proper opinion about something requires you to be informed, especially if it's your job.

Daniel Bloodworth gave his GOTY to TLG and it was all because he gave the game a fair chance.

Zukkoyaki

Colin, someone who doesn't like Souls, keeps saying that he's super excited for Ni-Oh. Man, is he going to be disappointed in that one!

Looking forward to Greg's Horizon impressions (just hoping less of his "Yada yada yada" phrase :p). Really hoping Guerilla execute this game nicely, as they clearly have something big here, but one aspect I'm slightly concerned about hope the side quests aren't filler or just simple fetch quests.

Colin suggested tlg should have been cancelled and greg said that it should be a ps plus game

Where did they both do that? And I'm sure if they did, it was in gest.

In general with TLG (and niche Japanese games) not sure why people are up in arms over it all the time - they both always says the game just wasn't for them, as it wasn't for many people, (like TLG) hence why it commercially bombed. This was always known. More power to those who liked it, and those type of games, but unlike IGN, they are free to chose what to play and cover - for better or for worse depending on what content you want.

So they don't like The Last Guardian, they don't like Gravity Rush 2 and they don't like Yakuza 0. It's small wonder I completely abandoned these guys for Easy Allies.

Holy crap, where is this misinformation coming from? Greg liked Yakuza 0 and GR2, by TLG wasn't for him or Colin.

And yeah that's fine to go to the audiences that cater to your taste, but not sure why you have to crap the thread up (as it's already crapped up), to announce this based on half assed researched information.

I wouldn't expect much from a guy who tweeted "So pleased to see our culture finally pointing and laughing at trigger warning/microaggression/safe space culture. Time to grow the fuck up!" anyway. Then he proceeded to make fun of people who disagreed with him going "sorry for triggering you".

Never understood why GAF gives the piece of shit Colin Moriarty the time of day.

Yeah you've kinda of already made it clear that you don't like this guy based on some arrogant dismissive dumb ass tweet he made. Go post this on off topic or the KF community thread instead of posting in the thread with off topic info. It's not as if this thread needs anymore of that stuff lol...

This weeks pod was good.
Interesting discussion around the viability of PSVR, I agree with the boys that it's not looking particularly great right now.

I must say Sony slamming Guerilla Cambridge shut has given me pause in buying a PSVR (if I can ever even find one!) as it seems like Sony is losing confidence in their own new device early on.

Cool! Glad to see Sony exhibiting confidence in what they have with Horizon by offering such an extensive hands-on preview. Disappointed that Colin won't be going, as I tend to find more value in his impressions, but I'll be very interested to hear what Greg (and other previewers) think.

Greg: ''I played it for 7 minutes, it didn't click so I moved on''

So they don't like The Last Guardian, they don't like Gravity Rush 2 and they don't like Yakuza 0. It's small wonder I completely abandoned these guys for Easy Allies.

Heh well, it actually seems that zero Sony exclsuives are doing anything for them right now, more so Colin (Greg found GR2 ok but dumped it quick)
Sure, it's their opinion but their dismissive attitude to a lot of these games can be a little annoying.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is why I'm glad I discovered Easy Allies. Their tastes are much more in line with my own.

I'm thinking about dropping PSIL and start to listen to Easy Allies after all of the talk people on GAF have for them. Colin is a smart dude, but his ego gets the best of him. Especially now that they are making more money than ever and he has the power and control to do and say whatever he wants.

He's constantly wrong, while having a show literally called "Colin was Right". And there's nothing wrong with having bad predictions, but the least he could do is admit them when they happen and move on. NOOOOO....instead he goes into those wrong predications even more by proving to us that 2+2 doesn't equal 4.

It's getting annoying, like for real at this point. The ONLY thing keeping me subscribed is that I listened to them on Podcast Beyond for so long that I've gotten used to their voices and it's a familiar rotation. And sometimes that can be hard to break for me. The only way I've broken those bad podcast in the past is to fill it with a better one.

So I'm going to try out EZA podcast and see where we go from here.

Or...

"I liked it, it's more Horizon"

:p

1196.gif

I'm thinking about dropping PSIL and start to listen to Easy Allies after all of the talk people on GAF have for them. Colin is a smart dude, but his ego gets the best of him. Especially now that they are making more money than ever and he has the power and control to do and say whatever he wants.

He's constantly wrong, while having a show literally called "Colin was Right". And there's nothing wrong with having bad predictions, but the least he could do is admit them when they happen and move on. NOOOOO....instead he goes into those wrong predications even more by proving to us that 2+2 doesn't equal 4.

It's getting annoying, like for real at this point. The ONLY thing keeping me subscribed is that I listened to them on Podcast Beyond for so long that I've gotten used to their voices and it's a familiar rotation. And sometimes that can be hard to break for me. The only way I've broken those bad podcast in the past is to fill it with a better one.

Trust me, by the sound of it you'll def enjoy EZA.
They are enthusiastic about games without coming across as shills.

Like you though, I'm always listening to PSILY because I've been a Beyond listener since forever.

I'm not dropping the podcast anytime soon though, if anything I think it's been improving a lot in 2017 from the doldrum attitudes of last year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wouldn't expect much from a guy who tweeted "So pleased to see our culture finally pointing and laughing at trigger warning/microaggression/safe space culture. Time to grow the fuck up!" anyway. Then he proceeded to make fun of people who disagreed with him going "sorry for triggering you".

Never understood why GAF gives the piece of shit Colin Moriarty the time of day.

WHOA!!!! I never knew Colin has gotten this bad? Does he use the term snowflake and SJW too?

Ryūko no Ken

Neo Member
That's because they have clear prejudices against some games and eventually they end up playing them just for a couple of hours. Look at some of their "reviews". It's like: Colin "I played it for an hour", Greg "I played it for 2 hours". And this makes their opinions potentially worthless and makes them look extremely unprofessional.
In comparison, look at Daniel Bloodworth from Easy Allies. He started playing TLG and after a few hours we was not much into it. He stuck with it and at the end he loved it. That's someone who cares about video games and thinks to have a proper opinion about something requires you to be informed, especially if it's your job.

Where on kindayfunny.com does it say that Greg & Colin are supposed to review and like ALL PS4 games? Oh, wait: It's just two guys with individual preferences just like everybody else, making their passion into a semi-professional enterprise. I'd rather hear these guys talk about a hand full of ps4 games than only about a single 15 hour experience with a game they didn't enjoy.

Seriously, how is having an opinion that big of a deal for some people, I just don't get it.

Btw: I loved TLG and found Colin's and Greg's comments harsh, but it didn't stop me from enjoying every minute of it.

sora87

He liked Bloodborne.

He liked the style of it, said it'd make a great castlevania game. He only played it for a few hours though.

Ryūko no Ken;229132268 said:
Seriously, how is having an opinion that big of a deal for some people, I just don't get it.

You need to play the games to have a solid opinion about them.

Ryūko no Ken

Neo Member
Dang... some serious salt thrown on this thread. I actually just became a Patron the other day because I haven't been able to find another gaming podcast with such good chemistry, opposing points of view and varied personalities I feel between the group there is someone for everyone. Gregs is happy go lucky and outgoing, well articulated and clearly leads. Colin is a reserved, anti-social pessimist with generally solid logic even if you disagree. And Tim is a younger, less mature "bro" that relate well to relavent trends and a little more suave.

They arent a review podcast, I understand that but they seem to always have informed opinions based off references of games they've played in the past to give the audience a context.

I could tell they were getting really burnt before Christmas and a little more down than usual but I must say, I really am enjoying their stuff in my podcast cycle.

I feel like based on this thread I'm a minority, not majority on GAF?

Exactly this! Good to know I'm not the only one who's shocked about some salty comments in this thread ...

kevin1025

Banned
Ryūko no Ken;229133314 said:
Exactly this! Good to know I'm not the only one who's shocked about some salty comments in this thread ...

Is it salt, though, to be losing interest in a show where the quality has staled and the lack of interest in the two principals is apparent?

killroy87

Where on kindayfunny.com does it say that Greg & Colin are supposed to review and like ALL PS4 games? Oh, wait: It's just two guys with individual preferences just like everybody else, making their passion into a semi-professional enterprise. I'd rather hear these guys talk about a hand full of ps4 games than only about a single 15 hour experience with a game they didn't enjoy.

Btw: I loved TLG and found Colin's and Greg's comments harsh, but it didn't stop me from enjoying every minute of it.

1ie577.jpg

Ryūko no Ken

Neo Member
He liked the style of it, said it'd make a great castlevania game. He only played it for a few hours though.

You need to play the games to have a solid opinion about them.

But don't you dislike certain genres and games without a reason? When you think: I don't like the gameplay or the visuals. That's why I won't invest

I would understand the critics if "PS I love you" would be a real database for reviews, for instance like gametrailers was a couple of years ago. I expected them to review all the games, play them for dozens of hours and give me recommendations. In a podcast with two regular guys talking about what they've played on the weekend? Not so much. This isn't about reviews, I want their points of view, their personal experiences. And all the nonsense and poop talk.

I dislike the art styles of 98% of modern JRPGs, but I love when Colin is rambling about Tales of BRAseria or other weird shit I wouldn't play in a 100 years.

Ryūko no Ken

Neo Member
Is it salt, though, to be losing interest in a show where the quality has staled and the lack of interest in the two principals is apparent?

Of course not. Opinions can change, but there are people like me who don't need dozens of reviews but periodic entertaining podcast content about video games.

I just got into them a few days ago after the Nintendo Switch betting special.
Instantly addicted.

Breath of fresh air really.

Zukkoyaki

Say what you will about the apparent lack of enthusiasm these days, but they still absolutely nail the topic of the week discussions. The first party studio discussion last week and these week's future of VR discussion were excellent. They're clearly smart, know the industry and have compelling opinions and that's enough to keep me enjoying the podcast still. However I've started looking elsewhere for in-depth impressions of the latest releases.

sym30l1c

That's not the point. They can review whatever they want and they should. The problem is posting a video review of a game where none of them has played more than a couple of hours and then ranting about it mostly based on prejudices and first impressions. I find that as interesting and informative as talking about the game with some random guy on the street.

I've been a long time listener of both Beyond and have listened to every episode of PSILYXOXO. I agree with a lot of people here that Colin has been more tiresome that usual lately, and growing more so with each passing week. Part of it is the repetitive nature of what he says (if he says, "I'm tired today" one more time, I quitting this damn thing), but the one thing that both hosts have been trying to convey lately that has really driven me to other podcasts is their notion of value.

Well... you may as well quit now, because he says that every time he's in front of a camera. It's one of my pet peeves regarding him. He may as well say that with a mouth full of food while scratching his nails down a chalkboard for how much that annoys me.

But once he's done repeating his catch phrase, I tend to enjoy the rest of the show. Even when they are spitting on my GOTY, The Last Guardian. Which sold roughly 250K physical units... not a bomb when compared with first month sales of Quantum Break, RotTR and other MS exclusives that should have had a wider appeal.

killroy87

I think my beef is there's a certain identity crisis on the channel. There’s a severe case of wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They’re incredibly picky about when they want to be taken seriously, and when they just want to be silly internet personalities with no real responsibilities.

On one hand they go to press events, like the Nintendo Switch, Horizon, or others. They also host and provide sponsored material for things like Final Fantasy, Deus Ex, and Hitman. They also complain about not getting review codes on time, or about the press kits they’re sent.

But then, randomly, they want to be considered pundits or just YouTubers, they want to shed all perceptions people might have of them from like a decade at IGN and just be super fun, casual YouTubers. Considering they would have to assume that a massive chunk of their audience is people who followed them from IGN, I think it’s a bit unrealistic to just expect people to be like “oh, okay, so you still have this Playstation podcast, but you don’t seem to play that many Playstation games?”

The content stream they produce is constantly at odds with itself. Colin talks about wiping him ass on one segment, then produces a straight faced industry commentary segment with Colin Was Right. It’s like, how seriously do you want me to take you? How much stake in your opinion do you yourself want your audience to have? Because one day you say you’re just a pundit, and the next day you’re angry and publishers for not delivering review codes on time so you can share your feeling with your audience in a timely fashion.

They’re in an interesting position because their revenue model means that they aren’t really beholden to any form of metrics. They are able to keep going from a few thousand dedicated patrons (which is suuuuper cool), but the actual views on their YouTube channel are pretty poor for a channel straight up full-time employing like six people. So the content isn’t really hitting, but that luckily doesn’t have to matter (if they only ever have aspirations to cater to the patrons).

Anywho, that’s my rant.

Past

I honestly don't get why they feel entitled or expect to get games before release anymore. They don't review games and they don't write articles/make let's play videos previewing the new releases so what's the point? Giving impressions of a game that they only played for a couple hours when they had it for weeks is pointless. And wouldn't getting games at launch and discussing them with all "the best friends" at the same time fit their motto better anyway?

That makes no sense. Nothing in your post is even close to a reason why they would stop supporting PSVR.
A company that doesn't often support their accessories after launch also closed one of their main studios that made a vr game might be backing off from vr. That makes no sense to you?

killroy87

A company that doesn't often support their accessories after launch also closed one of their main studios that made a vr game might be backing off from vr. That makes no sense to you?

Yeah, I thought that was a weird comment too.

"Sony has a pretty healthy track record of dropping support for Playstation accessories"

"What does that have to do with them not supporting PSVR???"

"...ummmmm"

kevin1025

Banned
Ryūko no Ken;229134970 said:
Of course not. Opinions can change, but there are people like me who don't need dozens of reviews but periodic entertaining podcast content about video games.

I don't think there's many asking for reviews and all that, I think it's the lack of enthusiasm and indifference to anything that isn't for them in the first place. A simple "not for me, hope people like it!" would be enough. To call for something to not exist just because it's not for you (as Colin has at times) is incredibly closed-minded and is a detriment to their show and channel.

There appears to be quite a few deciding to leave the podcast/video show behind. I think there is something to that, but if there are still people enjoying the show, definitely enjoy the show!

Ryūko no Ken

Neo Member
I don't think there's many asking for reviews and all that, I think it's the lack of enthusiasm and indifference to anything that isn't for them in the first place. A simple "not for me, hope people like it!" would be enough. To call for something to not exist just because it's not for you (as Colin has at times) is incredibly closed-minded and is a detriment to their show and channel.

There appears to be quite a few deciding to leave the podcast/video show behind. I think there is something to that, but if there are still people enjoying the show, definitely enjoy the show!

I must admit, the hate TLG got on PS I love you was surprisingly harsh. It's such a beautiful (although broken) game and emotional experience, I was really astonished that both of them were sooooo nasty about it, e.g. the thing about "press triangle to jump". Yeah, it was weird, it was oldschool, but Ueda didn't kill anyone ...

Truly gross. It's impossible for me to separate Colin the games pundit from Colin the political asshole. I don't know how anyone can do it, honestly.

plidex

Say what you will about the apparent lack of enthusiasm these days, but they still absolutely nail the topic of the week discussions. The first party studio discussion last week and these week's future of VR discussion were excellent. They're clearly smart, know the industry and have compelling opinions and that's enough to keep me enjoying the podcast still. However I've started looking elsewhere for in-depth impressions of the latest releases.

If they separated it in parts like the Gamecast, or at least had timestamps like EZA, I would listen to some of their discussions.

br3wnor

Another good pod. I feel like they actually keyed into some of the criticism about them not playing enogh games because since the holiday break they both seem to be ramping up the amount of gaming they're doing each week.

Surprised that Colin hasn't touched VR since November though given how much he was evangalizing it leading up to the release.

Zukkoyaki

If they separated it in parts like the Gamecast, or at least had timestamps like EZA, I would listen to some of their discussions.
The lack of timestamps is legit bullshit. I swear they're intentionally refusing to do it just to troll people. If YouTubers who work in their parents basement that have like 50 subscribers can do it, then the full-time guys with their own studio getting $60,000 a month from subscribers sure as hell can.

Overtech

Neo Member
Surprised that Colin hasn't touched VR since November though given how much he was evangalizing it leading up to the release.

Not too surprised by it because I was the same way when I purchased my Oculus Rift last spring. I was genuinely excited and hyped for it in the months leading up to it, and then I received it and played a few games all the way through but wasn't truly amazed by any of them. Now I only play when I get the urge, but I don't think the "dream" of VR has been realized yet. I doubt it will be for a few years to a decade at least. Excluding price, playing a VR game is a tiring experience in terms of both the setup and play, and you have to be in certain moods to put in that effort.

WHOA!!!! I never knew Colin has gotten this bad? Does he use the term snowflake and SJW too?

As for snowflake, I'm not sure. As for SJW, no. In fact, some could actually accuse him of being an SJW (which is a dumb term, anyways). He's actually quite liberal when it comes to social issues. He firmly believes in marriage equality, women's rights, etc. In fact, he doesn't think of supporting them as being political, but rather as basic human decency. He was also greatly dismayed when the National Endowment for the Arts was said to be defunded, and said the NEA, EPA, NASA, NPS, NSF, NIH all cost practically nothing compared to the funds given to the military. According to him, those programs (combined) cost $68.35 Billion (half of it being part of NIH), whereas the military cost just under $600 Billion. He's said in the past, you could drastically cut the funding of the military and it would still be (far and away) the most funded military in the world, and fully fund those other programs.

Again, it's came to people name calling Colin and bringing up his shitty, dismissive political views, ahh, not sure if there's any hope left in this thread...same people coming in crapping it up when it's just best they leave a thread and people they clearly don't like, or bring it up elsewhere. Can we try at least keep it related to the show, just for one week? :p

Again, it's came to people name calling Colin and bringing up his political views, ahh, not sure if there's any hope left in this thread...same people coming in crapping it up when it's just best they leave a thread and people they clearly don't like, or bring it up elsewhere.

I agree that name calling's generally unnecessary, but to say that if people don't like it they should leave isn't that great either. I'm assuming most are in this thread because they have previously enjoyed KF content, but lately many (myself included) have fallen off the bandwagon due to what I see as declining quality of content overall. The "like it or leave" mentality doesn't really lend itself to understanding criticism and using it to move forward.

I agree that name calling's generally unnecessary, but to say that if people don't like it they should leave isn't that great either. I'm assuming most are in this thread because they have previously enjoyed KF content, but lately many (myself included) have fallen off the bandwagon due to what I see as declining quality of content overall. The "like it or leave" mentality doesn't really lend itself to understanding criticism and using it to move forward.

Don't get me wrong, criticism of the show is acceptable, and even challenging some of his shitty political views is fine (the tweet for example shows how out of touch and privileged he is), but I don't think the latter is suitable for this thread.

I agree with you in regards to criticism of the show itself, for sure. It's just many of the posts in the past few weeks haven't been about that.

Raylan

Banned
A company that built a new VR studio from the ground up (Manchester Studio), and having Sony London Studio doing VR games, just like some teams inside San Mateo, etc.?
Yeah, it makes zero sense.

firelogic

A company that built a new VR studio from the ground up (Manchester Studio), and having Sony London Studio doing VR games, just like some teams inside San Mateo, etc.?
Yeah, it makes zero sense.

Same here. I don't understand why people think Sony's shuttering VR. They had realistic expectations and judging by the supply shortages, they were exceeded. They manufactured a certain amount and felt happy with it. They sold all of them. If there was glut of PSVRs sitting on shelves with zero interest from the public, then maybe you could say they're giving up on it, but even then that's way too premature, but the exact opposite is happening. PSVR is in high demand and after the great reception of REVII VR, more people are going to want one. PSVR isn't going to live and die based on first party offerings. It's what 3rd parties will do that'll make it a success.

Same here. I don't understand why people think Sony's shuttering VR. They had realistic expectations and judging by the supply shortages, they were exceeded. They manufactured a certain amount and felt happy with it. They sold all of them. If there was glut of PSVRs sitting on shelves with zero interest from the public, then maybe you could say they're giving up on it, but even then that's way too premature, but the exact opposite is happening. PSVR is in high demand and after the great reception of REVII VR, more people are going to want one. PSVR isn't going to live and die based on first party offerings. It's what 3rd parties will do that'll make it a success.

RE7 on PSVR seems to be getting quite a bit of praise from people who have tried it (myself included), hopefully that does a part in showing devs/publishers that AAA VR capable games can absolutely work and be really great.

Top Bottom