• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

1ie577.jpg

That's a Dank one.

Lothars

A company that doesn't often support their accessories after launch also closed one of their main studios that made a vr game might be backing off from vr. That makes no sense to you?

Yeah, I thought that was a weird comment too.

"Sony has a pretty healthy track record of dropping support for Playstation accessories"

"What does that have to do with them not supporting PSVR???"

"...ummmmm"
They have put a lot of weight behind PSVR, there's no evidence regarding them not backing it. There are accessories they have backed healthly including the PS camera. So yes your posts make no sense.

kyser73

A company that built a new VR studio from the ground up (Manchester Studio), and having Sony London Studio doing VR games, just like some teams inside San Mateo, etc.?
Yeah, it makes zero sense.

The thing is, this is the kind of information that generally gets ignored on PSIL which is why I don't rate their show - the level of information is about the same as I can get here, and the discussion is hopelessly geocentric around North America.

ironmang

He's not missing much.

Open world fatigue has definitely set in for me.

Same here. Funny enough Fallout 4 was one of my favorite recent open world experiences since there was a reason to do some exploring and the main story wasn't my primary focus. Most other open world games are just empty full of buildings you can't enter or NPCs you can't interact with. Every side quest being a fetch or bounty.

Overtech

Neo Member
Open worlds are hit or miss for me. Thought Fallout 4 was boring as hell, but I loved Far Cry Primal. Finally getting around to Witcher 3 now and the game is excellent, but way too dense for me. I'm basically just sticking with the main story and ignoring the side quests. As an employed 32 year old in a relationship it's just too difficult to find time to play these games any more than the main campaign.

Great episode, gang! Most people come into this thread to complain, so I thought I'd counter balance some of that with some praise.

Keep up the good work. And if both Kinda Funny AND Easy Allies are hyped for Horizon after playing it... it must be great. I can't wait to play it.

firelogic

He's not missing much.

Open world fatigue has definitely set in for me.

I hope for the return of linear games but that's not happening any time soon. I'm just tired of huge open worlds with nothing to do. Sure the map is littered with little icons for you to go to but it's all just busy work. I also cringe when people say, "The map in game x is HUUUGE! It takes 10mins real time to get from one end to the other!" That's really not a plus for me. Travelling in open-world games is such a time waster.

I just read something on the verge saying how Horizon is open-world but during the preview time he/she had, it felt heavily story-driven and focused, despite being able to go anywhere and do anything. I couldn't be happier :D

Simo

Open worlds are hit or miss for me. Thought Fallout 4 was boring as hell, but I loved Far Cry Primal. Finally getting around to Witcher 3 now and the game is excellent, but way too dense for me. I'm basically just sticking with the main story and ignoring the side quests. As an employed 32 year old in a relationship it's just too difficult to find time to play these games any more than the main campaign.

Same here. I can get really into some open world games but after a while the grind and boredom just gets to me to the point I just ignore it. I mean I like having a giant world to explore or play in but filling it with meaningful and interesting content is where devs are having issues, at least for me. They're more quantity than quality.

Hell even with The Witcher 3 I got burnt out and just started ignoring all the question marks but even then I called it quits. FFXV has been the recent offender but I at least finished the story.

I am excited for Horizon but I do hope that even with an open world that Guerilla have a right reign on the content and less bloat.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That means you must have enjoyed them at some point in the first place.

Maybe he is missing something.

Yes, when they were used sparingly, and were actually fun. Not now when they're dull and lifeless and boring.

Fallout 4 & Final Fantasy XV are two recent offenders for dull open worlds for me.

I'm much rather play a linear game with an engrossing story. Open world always fucks up the pacing of the story.

Pretty good shows and a nice update on Scorpio and what happened here last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfrgqUFmYbs

Colin is still down on Pro, but more reasonable now, and will further go down that route IMO as more of his friends tell him about their Pro and how their games look on newer TV's. Still, his stance hasn't changed, and felt Sony should have rode base PS4 all the way till PS5. I think the small bump and upgrade and especially PS4P coming in a $400 is not that big of a deal. And I feel like that's what Sony is doing, 'riding the PS4 all the way to 2020.'

Anyway, along with PSILY, good shows from Kinda Funny this week.

Personally, I'm really excited about Horizon and Zelda as the only open world game I've played is Dragon Age, so I'm not fatigued at all. Still have W3 and MGSV to get to as well. Horizon and Zelda will probably be it for me this year with open world games though.

krae_man

What happens with the Scorpio is going to be interesting. When they decide to release and what price point they decide to put it at could drastically change the specs of the thing.

I could see them lowering it to 5tflops and releasing this holiday and maybe even undercutting the Pro because they decide they just need to be more powerful then the Pro, and I can see them delaying it and going even more powerful then 6tflops.

firelogic

Pretty good shows and a nice update on Scorpio and what happened here last week.

Colin is still down on Pro, but more reasonable now, and will further go down that route IMO as more of his friends tell him about their Pro and how their games look on newer TV's. Still, his stance hasn't changed, and felt Sony should have rode base PS4 all the way till PS5. I think the small bump and upgrade and especially PS4P coming in a $400 is not that big of a deal. And I feel like that's what Sony is doing, 'riding the PS4 all the way to 2020.'

Personally, I'm really excited about Horizon and Zelda as the only open world game I've played is Dragon Age, so I'm not fatigued at all. Still have W3 and MGSV to get to as well. Horizon and Zelda will probably be it for me this year with open world games though.

That's the thing though, Sony isn't really pushing the Pro as the main console. It's just like they said, it's for gamers that want a little bit more. It certainly hasn't hurt their overall sales and there's no consumer confusion that I've seen. The Pro is something that's just "there." It's not hurting or helping the brand so I don't know what there is to be down about.

Edit:
The Scorpio being that much more powerful than the XB1 poses a more interesting scenario. Especially since MS is tying it to the XB1 in their messaging so far. They claim it's not a new generation but the high specs run counter to that. They say no Scorpio exclusives which means they're handcuffing that increased power. I think they should have just said it's a new generation console that's extremely powerful with an exclusive lineup of amazing looking/performing games with the added benefit of full backwards compatibility with XB1 games. The messaging seems similar but it's fundamentally different.

What MS is saying: Not new gen. All Scorpio games play on XB1. No exclusives.

What MS should be saying: New gen. Powerful hardware. Amazing exclusives. PLUS full backwards compatibility with XB1.

The only open world game you've played this generation is Dragon Age? Holy shit, you've missed out on a TON of really good games. The Witcher 3 to name one and probably the best.

The Witcher 3 to name one and probably the best.

Both Horizon and Zelda will be great, but The Witcher 3 will be looked back on as a landmark game and one of the defining experiences of this generation.

It came out of nowhere and totally delivered. It's not perfect, but it's impact can't be overestimated.

Horizon will probably feel better to control and Zelda will no doubt have that Nintendo magic we all love, but I think you'll see a lot of games influenced by The Witcher 3 in the next four or five years.

It's density of quality content will be something other studios strive for.

What MS is saying: Not new gen. All Scorpio games play on XB1. No exclusives.

What MS should be saying: New gen. Powerful hardware. Amazing exclusives. PLUS full backwards compatibility with XB1.

But it won't be getting any exclusives aside from maybe the handful of games Microsoft publishes per year if they decided to go down that route.

No third-party publisher's dropping the already very well established install base of the PS4/Xbox One for a system that's still very much unproven.

I battled open world fatigue by just not playing as many open world games as I used to. Last year I think FFXV was the only open world game I played, so when I played it I didn't feel the fatigue because I hadn't played an open world game in like a year.

firelogic

But it won't be getting any exclusives aside from maybe the handful of games Microsoft publishes per year if they decided to go down that route.

No third-party publisher's dropping the already very well established install base of the PS4/Xbox One for a system that's still very much unproven.

It'll be the same transition as xbox to 360 to xb1. It's also not unprecedented in terms of years on the market before new gen hardware. They need to concede this generation and draw a line in the sand for the Scorpio. New console. New generation. New games. Full backwards compatibility with XB1 should be their game plan. Tying the Scorpio to the XB1 is a noose.

Yes, when they were used sparingly, and were actually fun. Not now when they're dull and lifeless and boring.

Fallout 4 & Final Fantasy XV are two recent offenders for dull open worlds for me.

I'm much rather play a linear game with an engrossing story. Open world always fucks up the pacing of the story.

Those indeed exist. Which means he probably is missing out by not having played open world games.

I personally have hardly played any open world games. In a way, I'm worn out by the idea of them. Considering there are so many and they are usually so time consuming, but since I've hardly played anything, detracting comments like "oh it's just like Ubisoft progression that we've seen 500 times", for example, don't make Horizon any more unappealing to me because I haven't played any of the Ubisoft open world games. So it'll be new to me.

MrS

Banned

If you were more discerning about the games you play, you wouldn't have this issue.

Enjoyed the episode.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
If you were more discerning about the games you play, you wouldn't have this issue.

Enjoyed the episode.

Never finished FO4, played it a few hours on rental. Will likely finish FF XV during the weekend as that at least has some linearity.

I play a lot of games, so obviously some will be shit.

Never finished FO4, played it a few hours on rental. Will likely finish FF XV during the weekend as that at least has some linearity.

I play a lot of games, so obviously some will be shit.

I finished FO4, but sort of screwed it up at the end. Spoilers!
I made it inside the Institute and found my "son". The old man showed then up and, being conditioned to consider him a villain, I just went ahead and killed him and destroyed the Institute. Whoops! Turns out, that old man was actually my real son, grown up. I was in cryosleep for so long, it turns out the son grew to be an old man. Oh, well!

The only open world game you've played this generation is Dragon Age? Holy shit, you've missed out on a TON of really good games. The Witcher 3 to name one and probably the best.
I just don't have time for a lot of games anymore, so I just get the best of the best. Watchdogs and stuff like that, I probably won't ever get into. Horizon, Witcher 3, MGSV, FF15 (after some patches) and Zelda are likely the only open-world games I will play for the gen until GTA6 or maybe if Days Gone turns out amazing. When I sit down with a game like this, I really like to get into them, and it's just not feasible for me to do that with 10-15 open world experiences.

Then there's other games that aren't open world but you invest a lot of time into them like BloodBorne etc...So yeah, being picky has really helped me out and I'm really into high quality games only now.

j_rocca42

You think Colin and Greg will talk about/address PS4 pro boost mode in the next episode? Wonder if it will change their opinions on the pro.

You think Colin and Greg will talk about/address PS4 pro boost mode in the next episode? Wonder if it will change their opinions on the pro.

They will surely address it. As for your second thought, I'm not sure. Though, at PSX when they announced Patapon PS4 was going to be in 4K, Greg jokingly (or maybe was half-serious) talked about getting a PS4 Pro.

Servbot24

Banned

Highly doubt they'll care about a tiny little performance boost like that, tech specs and frame counting are not their thing. Hell, I own a Pro and I don't care.

j_rocca42

Highly doubt they'll care about a tiny little performance boost like that, tech specs and frame counting are not their thing. Hell, I own a Pro and I don't care.
From watching some of the comparison videos, it seems like quite a bit more than just a tiny boost. I don't know first hand though. Just bought a pro today and I'm just waiting for it to finish the transfer.

Servbot24

Banned
From watching some of the comparison videos, it seems like quite a bit more than just a tiny boost. I don't know fist hand though. Just bought a pro today and I'm just waiting for it to finish the transfer.

Oh I didn't realize it was available. Definitely gotta test it out and see if I notice anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to just be beta. I'll wait

It isn't "tiny performance" but I do agree they won't care though. They'll just understate the difference and say how it should have been there in the first place.

It'll be the same transition as xbox to 360 to xb1. It's also not unprecedented in terms of years on the market before new gen hardware. They need to concede this generation and draw a line in the sand for the Scorpio. New console. New generation. New games. Full backwards compatibility with XB1 should be their game plan. Tying the Scorpio to the XB1 is a noose.

But who's going to fully leverage new-gen Xbox hardware at this point in time aside from Microsoft's heavily depleted first-party roster?

Up-ports of PS4/XB1 games (which is where all publishers will be focused) won't be massively different to PS4 Pro.

It's not time for a new generation and Microsoft are in no position to force it.

Yeah, beta only. Hopefully 4.5 comes out soon. I didn't get into the beta.

Yeah, I want it now! Not for the boost, because I don't have a Pro, but for the external hard drive support (FINALLY!) and the 3D Blu-Ray support. Reports are the 3D is better than many 3DTVs because there is no ghosting. Apparently, the fact that each eye can only see one lens each means there is no overlap. While it's not as crisp as a good HDTV, apparently it's very, very good (especially considering they claim to have improved the quality of cinema mode).

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, I want it now! Not for the boost, because I don't have a Pro, but for the external hard drive support (FINALLY!) and the 3D Blu-Ray support. Reports are the 3D is better than many 3DTVs because there is no ghosting. Apparently, the fact that each eye can only see one lens each means there is no overlap. While it's not as crisp as a good HDTV, apparently it's very, very good (especially considering they claim to have improved the quality of cinema mode).

The external HD thing I can picture them being way more excited about

The external HD thing I can picture them being way more excited about

8TB!!!! Though, I'll probably get a 4TB. Back when I was considering upgrading to a 2TB internal, I added up the required installation requirements for my 40 PS4 games (Blu-Ray) and it added up to about 1.4TB (before patches!). I probably could've gone with the 2TB internal drive, but it would've been tight. The PS4 can support up to 4TB internal, but no internal 4TB drives exist without the need for modification or that Nyko Databank thing. My plan is to use the external drive for my disc-based games, large sized free-to-play games, PS+ game library (all of them), and PT. I may still upgrade the internal drive after I get the external drive.

I found this drive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZTRXFBA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's 4TB and the best part about it is the fact that is completely powered via USB. No need for a power adapter! It just needs to be plugged into PS4's USB port. If they sold a 3TB drive, I might opt for that.

Lol the transition from dick pics to the Pro Flowers ad read was great

But I don't like it when they say shit like "We already have a Journey" about Abzu. 😒

SamNW

But I don't like it when they say shit like "We already have a Journey" about Abzu. ��
It might be the single dumbest criticism that I've ever heard Colin try to make.
Colin and Kind of Funny say a lot of dumb shit, and contradict themselves constantly.
I often disagree with them, but "we already have X, therefore Y, which is heavily inspired by X but obviously distinct, should not exist" is unbelievably stupid.

Top Bottom