• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Well, I said "if it was intended or not", because I know he said that. Nonetheless, the cringe is endless. And Shuhei liking it a lot.... well, he is in a fucking prayer, lol.

The first bolded made me unsure if you knew. Just making sure.

Just finished the Shuhei interview. So good and only the second episode of the podcast. I wonder how many (if any) first party games will be revealed at Paris game show.

Boke1879

I really thought Colin's opinion about Shenmue was really unfair. It hasn't even been long since the KS ended and we haven't even gotten the type of murmurs other KS projects had about development trouble.

I generally find Colin's opinions very fair and well thought out. But not this time.

You know what's funny. I think he likes the game Might No. 9. I believe he's played it a few times and I remember in the past he's said he cant wait to play it again. We know how things are going for MN9 right now and it's received a ton of backlash.

Now I do think saying "shenmue has disaster written all over it" is a bit much and unfair. We are still early on.

Luke_Wal

While I understand that people don't like the prayer, I think it's freaking hilarious. I really wish I could go to PSX, but it's in the middle of finals... The way it's scheduled, it looks like it will fall there every year, too. :/

D i Z

Colin's really trying to make that horribly unfunny prayer a thing on the show, huh? That is disappointing.
Doesn't make any sense to force feed people something that they have made obvious their distaste for.
But if they really want people to have that guaranteed turn off moment each week, hey there's no telling him any different.

prwxv3

I don't think it's fair to discount an exclusive title because it doesn't sell millions of units. It stills exists, and is there for those in the future if they are interested. Sure, Disgaea 5 doesn't sell millions of units, but when you have 5 titles like Disgaea 5 in a few months that is essentially another big exclusive. 2016 will be absolutely HUGE for PS in particular in terms of releases like this. The library will be insane due to the inherent Japan exclusivity PS4 is receiving.

I don't buy consoles for big titles like Gears or Uncharted. Generally it's the little guys that sell me, and then I buy the big guys that i'm interested in. I know a lot of people like that so the little guys are extremely important and shouldn't be discounted.

It all adds up. Its a huge deal when nearly all japanese third party games are exclusive to one system. It does not matter if you dont like japanese games but that kind of thinking can applt to any exclusive game.

Colin's really trying to make that horribly unfunny prayer a thing on the show, huh? That is disappointing.
Doesn't make any sense to force feed people something that they have made obvious their distaste for.
But if they really want people to have that guaranteed turn off moment each week, hey there's no telling him any different.

As he said, he considered getting rid of it or doing it, but yosp has the picture on his Twitter and the start of the prayer on his bio, so he basically over ruled everyone else.

I don't find it distasteful. I find it funny.

killroy87

What's wrong with it? I don't love or hate it, I can't really see why anyone would have such harsh reactions to 25 seconds of content.

D i Z

I don't find it distasteful. I find it funny.

Some find it funny. Others cringe when they hear it. Some have asked that it not become a thing only to be told by Colin on Colin & Greg Live that he thinks it's funny, and isn't going to "censor" himself end of story.
Then it was a week worth of rants about censorship... If a bit doesn't work, then it's time to drop it. Anyone in the personality/entertainment game should know this.

What's wrong with it? I don't love or hate it, I can't really see why anyone would have such harsh reactions to 25 seconds of content.

Yeah, you might not feel the same way after you've heard it several times over.

killroy87

Haha maybe, but I honestly can't see myself getting too riled up, it seems like a waste of energy. It's literally less than 30 seconds of my time.

I've grown numb to all my podcasts feeding me 2-4 minute ads for audio books, trading card apps, fantasy football, poker websites, mattresses, website building tools, faux-healthy snacks, meal delivery services, and god knows what the fuck else.

This is nothing.

Haha maybe, but I honestly can't see myself getting too riled up, it seems like a waste of energy. It's literally less than 30 seconds of my time.

I've grown numb to all my podcasts feeding me 2-4 minute ads for audio books, trading card apps, fantasy football, poker websites, mattresses, website building tools, faux-healthy snacks, meal delivery services, and god knows what the fuck else.

This is nothing.
Only person that does ads right on podcasts is Bill Burr.

Some find it funny. Others cringe when they hear it. Some have asked that it not become a thing only to be told by Colin on Colin & Greg Live that he thinks it's funny, and isn't going to "censor" himself end of story.
Then it was a week worth of rants about censorship... If a bit doesn't work, then it's time to drop it. Anyone in the personality/entertainment game should know this.

If you're turning it off because of a silly prayer joke, then it's perhaps not for you.

GametimeUK

Shu talking about a cheeky Nando's got me, man. British lad culture is freaking awesome. I bet he has some top class banter too.

D i Z

This is nothing.

At least those ads are sometimes entertaining (thinking of GB ads when Vinny was still in SF), but this has different implications for different people. That's kind of the root of it even existing. It's trolling at it's most juvenile, and that's what I find bothersome.
If a content creator would rather stick to cringe worthy bits and have their listeners fast forward through their content, then more power to em.

If you're turning it off because of a silly prayer joke, then it's perhaps not for you.

Obviously. But who's talking about turning anything off? People are simply chiming in on whether they like it, don't care, or dislike. Colin and Greg fans who might have an issue with it will grit their teeth and bear it. This is about the optics they are sending.

Also, the fuck you if you're offended attitude (which has been put out there quite a bit on the daily show) never goes over well.

Food for thought is all.

What's the problem with the prayer that offends people?

Pretty much the meat of it discussed on their forums

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't have any real issue with the prayer but I don't think it's funny enough to overcome how mildly cultish and slightly obtuse it comes across as.

I don't think it's fair to discount an exclusive title because it doesn't sell millions of units. It stills exists, and is there for those in the future if they are interested. Sure, Disgaea 5 doesn't sell millions of units, but when you have 5 titles like Disgaea 5 in a few months that is essentially another big exclusive. 2016 will be absolutely HUGE for PS in particular in terms of releases like this. The library will be insane due to the inherent Japan exclusivity PS4 is receiving.

I don't buy consoles for big titles like Gears or Uncharted. Generally it's the little guys that sell me, and then I buy the big guys that i'm interested in. I know a lot of people like that so the little guys are extremely important and shouldn't be discounted.

I have to agree, I think just it's the overall ecosystem that sells consoles, not it's first party content or even just having Q4 AAA games. I say this in other threads but there's a reason why these games are put on stage at press conferences or highlighted in montages and why Shahid's team is called "Strategic Content." These games have value to the perception and appeal of the platform outside of generating headlines of record breaking holiday software sales.

Shenmue

Banned
You know what's funny. I think he likes the game Might No. 9. I believe he's played it a few times and I remember in the past he's said he cant wait to play it again. We know how things are going for MN9 right now and it's received a ton of backlash.

Now I do think saying "shenmue has disaster written all over it" is a bit much and unfair. We are still early on.

Yeah I'm not saying he's not entitled to his opinion, but "disaster"??

1. Yu is an extremely seasoned developer, who has never been accused of mismanagement or anything like that
  2. He doesn't have a failed Kickstarter in his past
  3. He doesn't have any concurrent projects that would take his attention away
  4. There's been no hint of underfunding for the project other than "I could do with a bit more money [to get 100% of the features]"
  5. Shenmue 3 has at least some help from Sony and other outside sources
  6. Yu has a clear vision of the scope and is purposefully not going to make it with AAA graphical fidelity or extremely ambitious features like Star Citizen. He's used the word "nostalgic" to describe what the appeal of the game is and the design ideology behind the game

What exactly is the writing on it right now that says it's going to be a disaster?

killroy87

Lol the OP on this Kinda Funny Forums thread pretty much lost all credibility when he listed one of his reasons for not liking it as:

Dude has too much time on his hands to complain, and is also maybe mildly racist.

I like the first reply about how when you tell Colin not to do something over and over again, he will do the opposite.

D i Z

Lol the OP on this Kinda Funny Forums thread pretty much lost all credibility when he listed one of his reasons for not liking it as:

Dude has too much time on his hands to complain, and is also maybe mildly racist.

Yeah, the OP lost the mission on that one, but there are a few responses later in the thread that actually outline the ins and outs of it all.

I've enjoyed both episodes. I love the change in Greg's voice when he starts getting excited and right before he starts laughing. I'm hoping they do get a panel as PSX or maybe a meetup for podcast fans at one of the bars near the Moscone Center.

On the subject of their prayer, I don't find it offensive or distasteful but rather hilarious and over the top. I have a feeling the people that get uncomfortable by it feel like it's mocking whatever religion they follow and probably want them to stop.

Two episodes in and I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. In fact, I might say that I enjoy it more than the current iteration of Podcast Beyond. I like Beyond, but at the moment, it still seems a bit out of control, almost like an episode of The Comedy Button. I don't mind going off topic, but it overwhelms the show at times. They need to find the right balance between the two. Nintendo Voice Chat does a good job with this.

Drayco21

While I understand that people don't like the prayer, I think it's freaking hilarious. I really wish I could go to PSX, but it's in the middle of finals... The way it's scheduled, it looks like it will fall there every year, too. :/

Agreed, I'm a fan of the prayer. It's cringey, and overlong and kinda creepy and that's fantastic and I like that it seems like Colin is doubling down on the joke.

notaxation

Neo Member
That prayer in the beginning is the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in my life.

That's the idea.

So glad this is back. Still wish they could have Clements of Goldfarb on regularly, but, I'll take it as it is.

We saw Clements this weekend at Daemon's wedding; we're working on getting him on as soon as time and schedules allow.

I do appreciate the rapport Shu and Colin & Greg have, their chats are always very laid back and fun, doesn't really come off as an "interview" so to speak.

The prayer is just funny/ridiculous depending how you view it but it shouldn't put you off watching the rest, there's nothing else like that in the show.

Thanks! We've known Shu for a long time now. He's a great guy, and we love having him on. As for the prayer, I'm super interested by the varying degrees people are responding to it. Some folks love it; some folks hate it. I suspect a vast majority of the listernship doesn't care.

I skip the prayer. That's creepy and weird as fuck and while that might be intended, the cringe is endless.

The cringe is also intended. I promise.

I've been extremely hard on MN9 for months now. I Tweeted out that I'll believe it's coming out in February when it's in my hands. My excitement is waning.

yeah the prayer needs to go

it's just weird

I'm friggin' telling you guys, THAT'S THE IDEA.

Now, it was GOING to go... or at least put into stasis... until Shuhei replaced his Twitter description with the prayer, and replaced his masthead with a picture of Greg and I doing the prayer. Now, it's doubling-down time. =D

Agreed, I'm a fan of the prayer. It's cringey, and overlong and kinda creepy and that's fantastic and I like that it seems like Colin is doubling down on the joke.

See, you get it.

You'd be surprised how little I know about the personality/entertainment game. Actually, you'd probably not be surprised at all.

I've gotten "this far" (whatever that means) by being myself. Unapologetically myself. If you want vanilla gaming personalities that never offend anyone, you can probably accidentally trip over one any day of the week. They're everywhere. That's not me. Never has been.

I like the first reply about how when you tell Colin not to do something over and over again, he will do the opposite.

Oh, you!

That's the idea.

We saw Clements this weekend at Daemon's wedding; we're working on getting him on as soon as time and schedules allow.

Thanks! We've known Shu for a long time now. He's a great guy, and we love having him on. As for the prayer, I'm super interested by the varying degrees people are responding to it. Some folks love it; some folks hate it. I suspect a vast majority of the listernship doesn't care.

The cringe is also intended. I promise.

I've been extremely hard on MN9 for months now. I Tweeted out that I'll believe it's coming out in February when it's in my hands. My excitement is waning.

I'm friggin' telling you guys, THAT'S THE IDEA.

Now, it was GOING to go... or at least put into stasis... until Shuhei replaced his Twitter description with the prayer, and replaced his masthead with a picture of Greg and I doing the prayer. Now, it's doubling-down time. =D

See, you get it.

You'd be surprised how little I know about the personality/entertainment game. Actually, you'd probably not be surprised at all.

I've gotten "this far" (whatever that means) by being myself. Unapologetically myself. If you want vanilla gaming personalities that never offend anyone, you can probably accidentally trip over one any day of the week. They're everywhere. That's not me. Never has been.

Oh, you!

Not my words ;p

Great episode today, by the way! Really hope you guys are able to do a live PSX episode.

Also, if you have a chance, I'd like your take on this thread I posted: Is there now parity in Baseball?

Karu

"That's the idea" doesn't make it any better. It's a garbage idea on any level. :D

But whatevs, I will survive only 99% of the podcast being worthwhile, I guess...

KalBalboa

Banned
I just did! I totally accept not everyone finds it funny, or tasteful, or relevant, or whatever else. That's totally fine with me.

Good on you. You deserve points!

But yeah, as a listener who's been around for quite a few years I find it to be a pretty weak gag. If the goal is to entertain people with discussion then I'd ditch it. Simply my two cents.

Yeah, yeah, haters be damned, etc.

Weebos

Banned
I liked that Shu acknowledged and mostly agreed with Schreier's Vita article. He knows what he is doing.

I assume they're making it a thing because a lot more people like it than don't. In my experience they pay attention to their fans.

Its pretty short and easy to skip over if you have such a sharp reaction to it. I understand why some people wouldn't like it. I think its short enough to be amusing. If it was longer I don't think I would enjoy it.

I'm in the boat that I don't really care. I wouldn't mind if it stayed or went. Most people seem to like it, and I can't imagine too many people who don't like it would make that big a deal about it considering how small a portion of the video it takes up.

StoveOven

Banned
I actually think the prayer serves a purpose of sort of slowing down the rambling in the beginning and getting to the meat of the podcast. Regardless of the joke being funny (it's alright), I think it helps the pacing of the show

Maligna

Banned
I can't get over how much this Greg guy's voice sounds like Major Nelson's. It's surreal, it's like Larry Hyrb's evil Playstation twin.

a916

I want to see how long Colin can keep doing it lol, it's so cringe worthy and the reactions are priceless, they should double down on it and make crank that beyond 10.

These two just don't miss a beat, they hit the ground running with two great episodes.

I wonder how the van full of nuns feel about this prayer.

When I think about the prayer in ep. 1 it made me cringe, but when I listened to ep. 2 I found it to be hilarious and it actually made me smile. Its an idea that should be cringe worthy but the way Colin says it is hilarious.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just did! I totally accept not everyone finds it funny, or tasteful, or relevant, or whatever else. That's totally fine with me.

Colin, the prayer can only work if you keep pushing it. So push it. Perhaps get some hats to wear while you're praying just to make it that little bit more ridiculous. How about having a tiny meditation gong that you hit once before you start? Ham that bugger up! And don't announce you're going to do it, just do it. Oh, and make sure you keep it earnest. The minute you laugh the joke falls apart. I think it's funny as hell.

Great podcast by the way. Some nice banter but not to the point of self indulgence.

For everyone few people that hate it there are probably tens of thousands who like it.

I swear every time he has said it I've laughed or gotten this shit eaten grin. The only thing missing is some sort of reference to PSN name changes.

Top Bottom