• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

I love the show, and it reminds me of classic beyond, which is what made me want to podcast and inspired me to do the show I do now.

TKM

First time listener, and went through the first two vids in one go. Good chemistry and insights on the news of the week.

Greg's enthusiasm is great. Colin mostly seems knowledgeable, except when he bought into the fallacy that PS3 made a turnaround last gen. Then he doubled down and used it as an example of how XBO could do better as current gen progresses. There are just too many differences to make it a valid comparison.

jacobeid

Banned
First time listener, and went through the first two vids in one go. Good chemistry and insights on the news of the week.

Greg's enthusiasm is great. Colin mostly seems knowledgeable, except when he bought into the fallacy that PS3 made a turnaround last gen. Then he doubled down and used it as an example of how XBO could do better as current gen progresses. There are just too many differences to make it a valid comparison.

Uhhh....

vypek

We don't have solid numbers on that do we? I thought both consoles ended up around 80million worldwide around the end of the generation. I thought it was pretty much a tie worldwide. I remember hearing rumors that PS3 pulled ahead a little worldwide but IDK for sure.

EDIT: I love this podcast. Great length too. I hope they keep it up. I'm going to be looking forward to it every Tuesday.

Vinc

I'm not surprised Colin prefers Uncharted 3 to 2.

He has this tendency to cheer for the wrong team, being an Islanders fan and all. ;)

<3

TKM

We don't have solid numbers on that do we? I thought both consoles ended up around 80million worldwide around the end of the generation. I thought it was pretty much a tie worldwide. I remember hearing rumors that PS3 pulled ahead a little worldwide but IDK for sure.

Yes, overall the two ended up pretty equal worldwide. But it's an oversimplification to say PS3 turned things around, even starting a year behind, while ignoring regional sales by year. American journalists focused entirely too much on US/UK while simultaneously looking at final numbers and marveling, "wow, Sony really turned things around!".

PS3 started quite a ways behind X360 in US/UK and stayed behind all generation. It never came close to catching up, never made a dramatic turnaround. Meanwhile, it outsold X360 year after year, after year worldwide. Most gaming media does a poor job recognizing this. So X360 momentum continued in US/UK and PS3 continued everywhere else. Success built upon success.

This gen, PS4 leads just about everywhere and continues to do so. There's a very slight chance XBO will ever catch up.

Bolivar687

Banned
Colin mostly seems knowledgeable, except when he bought into the fallacy that PS3 made a turnaround last gen. Then he doubled down and used it as an example of how XBO could do better as current gen progresses. There are just too many differences to make it a valid comparison.

What Colin said about the Xbox One turning things around like the PS3 did is something that gets brought up and shut down in GAF sales threads pretty regularly. From what I understand, the PS3 began outselling the 360 worldwide the day it launched. The reason so many in the press are under the impression it had a rocky start is because the 360 legitimately crushed it in North America and continued to do so for the entirety of its life cycle. So the two consoles ended up around the same LTD totals, with the 360 having a year head start and doing great numbers in North America, but the PS3 slowly eroding the gap by slightly outselling it on an annual basis.

I think.

Omerta

Great to see these two back talking PlayStation exclusively...

I really like the new Podcast Beyond too. Weird, right?

No

Comparing Beyond to PS I love you XOXO is like comparing apples to oranges at an apple tasting competition.

PS I love you XOXO: 17 news items
Beyond: 1 (maybe 2) news items and it was trash

Total time spent talking about PlayStation?

PSILY: 1 hr 51 mins
Beyond: less than 20 minutes, vast majority spent on IGNs top 100 list and NY Comic Con.

This is why everyone is glad to have the boys back. It's sad.

Alucrid

Banned
The crowd funding localization talk made no sense. How is square ponying up the cost up front and making it back the same as crowd funding the total beforehand? Especially since there's no guarantee that they make it back while it's guaranteed if they crowd fund it, even if the same number of copies are sold...since people are willing to contribute more than the cost of a game to it.

Heimbeck

Banned
Comparing Beyond to PS I love you XOXO is like comparing apples to oranges at an apple tasting competition.

PS I love you XOXO: 17 news items
Beyond: 1 (maybe 2) news items and it was trash

Total time spent talking about PlayStation?

PSILY: 1 hr 51 mins
Beyond: less than 20 minutes, vast majority spent on IGNs top 100 list and NY Comic Con.

This is why everyone is glad to have the boys back. It's sad.

After Greg and Colin left I can't listen to a whole episode of beyond, I stopped listening to it entirely after a few episodes.
I don't want to say it's bad but its really not something I am intrested in listing too.

My favorite part of this show and Beyond when they used to do it, is when Colin just lays out the facts about how bizarre some of the stuff Sony do is.
It's great to hear him lay it out with no fucks given.

After Greg and Colin left I can't listen to a whole episode of beyond, I stopped listening to it entirely after a few episodes.
I don't want to say it's bad but its really not something I am intrested in listing too.

My favorite part of this show and Beyond when they used to do it, is when Colin just lays out the facts about how bizarre some of the stuff Sony do is.

Especially when they have such a close relationship with Shu and the like who watch/listen to the podcast. Love it when Colin lays it all down. Glad the boys are back anyhow. Solid episodes so far. Love the length of it
That's what she said etc

Can people please stop ragging on Beyond?

I mean sure there are some negative comments but you can't just tell people to stop voicing their opinions. There is obviously something very wrong with the current Beyond, if people don't express how they feel about it the show will continue to be the same. Although it may hurt them seeing people say bad things about their show, maybe this will make them take it back the workshop and rework it in a way so that it can co-exist with PSILY, which is the "Beyond of old days" that people seem to like. The new Beyond can be its own thing, and it can be good. As it is right now, it is its own thing but it doesn't feel like a Playstation podcast, and that's what people are complaining about.

I mean sure there are some negative comments but you can't just tell people to stop voicing their opinions. There is obviously something very wrong with the current Beyond, if people don't express how they feel about it the show will continue to be the same. Although it may hurt them seeing people say bad things about their show, maybe this will make them take it back the workshop and rework it in a way so that it can co-exist with PSILY, which is the "Beyond of old days" that people seem to like. The new Beyond can be its own thing, and it can be good. As it is right now, it is its own thing but it doesn't feel like a Playstation podcast, and that's what people are complaining about.

In this thread at least then. The thread isn't about Beyond, people are just going out of their way to criticise it.

jacobeid

Banned
In this thread at least then. The thread isn't about Beyond, people are just going out of their way to criticise it.

This thread isn't about Beyond, but it sure is about Colin and Greg...and Beyond was their baby. People clamoring for a new PS-focused podcast after the new Beyond crew took over is exactly why the demand for PS I love you XOXO is there. I'm not sure how criticizing Beyond is off-topic.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The one thing I hate with these two is they are not really knowledgeable about anything, they are just personalities. They are entertainers, not experts. They didn't know a thing about the new model of PS4. How about sit with an iPad or something and look info up when you discuss it?

I would like a podcast buy someone who knows their shit, and not that just makes dumb jokes. I also hate how they are bragging about their numbers, they sound arrogant.

That shouldn't matter anymore, now that PS I Love You XOXO exists. I could understand someone taking issue with the current Podcast Beyond if PS I Love You XOXO did not exist. If you want the Beyond you loved, ignore the current Podcast Beyond and just listen to PS I Love You XOXO. Like it or not, the new Podcast Beyond is a new thing now (just like Up at Noon is a new thing). There's no reason to have two identical podcasts. The only reason I could see someone still wanting Podcast Beyond to be the same thing is if they are as attached to the name as they are the content. PS I Love You XOXO is Podcast Beyond (old version) in all but name.

Pakesaker

I love these guys and this podcast and have been supporting Kinda Funny on Patreon since day one, however recently I became acutely aware of one of Greg's mannerisms and it's driving me crazy. He says "you know what I mean" all the time when ending sentences, sometimes even three or four sentences in a row. I can't not notice it now, and it's actually lessening my enjoyment a small amount as crazy as that sounds. It's always been there in interviews, previous podcasts, and youtube videos, but now it's like in my head whenever I listen to him.

Anybody else ever notice this?

dugdug

Banned
I love these guys and this podcast and have been supporting Kinda Funny on Patreon since day one, however recently I became acutely aware of one of Greg's mannerisms and it's driving me crazy. He says "you know what I mean" all the time when ending sentences, sometimes even three or four sentences in a row. I can't not notice it now, and it's actually lessening my enjoyment a small amount as crazy as that sounds. It's always been there in interviews, previous podcasts, and youtube videos, but now it's like in my head whenever I listen to him.

"Suresuresusususususure" is the one that drives me crazy.

Bolivar687

Banned

No but now that you've pointed it out, I'm sure I will take notice and it will annoy me to no end.

Thanks.

Wakka212

Recently started noticing it as well.

In addition to the "its the fact that..." line. Which also usually ends in "you know what I mean."

Again, minor gripe - certainly does begin to irk me slightly though.

Anyways, love the show, always looking forward to it.

The one thing I hate with these two is they are not really knowledgeable about anything, they are just personalities. They are entertainers, not experts. They didn't know a thing about the new model of PS4. How about sit with an iPad or something and look info up when you discuss it?

I would like a podcast buy someone who knows their shit, and not that just makes dumb jokes. I also hate how they are bragging about their numbers, they sound arrogant.

While they may not know a lot about a model specific of the ps4, they sure as hell know the studios of Sony. Colin may be the most knowledgeable person on Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and other Sony specific studios. They know the games and in the end that's whats important. They do know their shit... I would say better than most.

Sjefen

I really like this Podcast. Greg seems to have toned down his "wild" manner from the IGN days, guess having only Colin there makes for a more serious tone, which I don´t mind

Roussow

Great podcast -- I didn't even know I needed it, I was happy with Greg and Colin in other Kinda Funny content.

How is new Beyond though? I just never bothered to listen to it, the only IGN podcast I listen to these days is the Australian one -- which I think is fantastic. I do like Marty Sliva, is he still part of new Beyond?

Don't be counting his you know what I means. How's he suppose to be himself??

Anyways, the new Beyond should be open to criticism (sorry Brian) and since this is a thread dedicated to the spiritual successor of the original Beyond, it's as good as any place to discuss it, IMO. Max and Brian can do whatever they like with Beyond but if they don't want universal hate, maybe they should get their heads out of the sand.

"Suresuresusususususure" is the one that drives me crazy.

None of his mannerisms annoy me/bug me (they're part of the Greg Miller charm), but another one of his is when he is explaining something and says dadada (or something similar, like so on and so forth). As well as sentence and ending it with "right?".

We are speaking of mannerisms? I love Colin's "hmmmm"s when he is actively listening to someone, because I kinda do the same lol. It's just something that you do without thinking.

While they may not know a lot about a model specific of the ps4, they sure as hell know the studios of Sony. Colin may be the most knowledgeable person on Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and other Sony specific studios. They know the games and in the end that's whats important. They do know their shit... I would say better than most.

Agreed. It's not a technical podcast. Their technical knowledge may be low, but their knowledge of the industry and Sony's studios more then makes up for it..

I know what I look for in my podcasts is deep explanation of minute technical changes in hardware revisions.

Colin is incredibly knowledgeable about Sony and their studios. I'd agree that Greg is more of a personality though--which isn't a bad thing at all.

Vinc

I think they're both quite knowledgeable, especially Colin. One thing I'll say is that I wish they were more knowledgeable about other aspects of gaming they don't necessarily care about on a personal level, just so that they can talk about it when it does touch on stuff they care about. Basic technical information would be great, but whenever a resolution or framerate topic comes about, they go beyond brushing it off, they actually go out of their way to say it doesn't matter if they don't notice it and sometimes poke fun at people who do care. I do wish they would have the info for people who do care, or that they would drop the poking fun at people who care. It feels condescending, especially since they fully admit that they don't know about this stuff.

Edit: Reading this thread, I do feel like I'm misinterpreting it as "condescending" when the intention is to poke fun at themselves, not at the audience. I can see that. Perspective matters, it seems :p.

Shu would disagree with you.

notaxation

Neo Member
If the boys do indeed drop by PSX to do a live episode I hope they have less guests on than the last time, as it sort of kills the flow of conversation with too large of a panel. Just limiting it to a few fan favorites like Shu and Clements would be just perfect.

A little late, but I'm also glad to hear that Colin never liked the idea of the third chair, because I thought it was fucking garbage and severely hindered my enjoyment of Beyond.

We want to (and hope to, and expect we'll be able to) do a live version of the podcast at PSX. We're just waiting for confirmation. We'll have a couple of special guests on, so don't worry. =) Last year's was a little large, I agree, but in hindsight, do you understand why we did it? We had a secret none of you knew yet, and we had some thank yous and memories to go over.

Yeah, I never liked the third chair, but Greg did, and I respect that completely. Also, most of the audience did. I prefer it just being Greg and I.

It can get so frustrating. I'd be more cool with it if he wasn't so arrogant and boastful on the occasions his opinions are proved correct. He's wrong just as often.

The "arrogance" is kind of part of the joke. "Colin Was Right" is a saying that totally and intentionally ignores everything I say that's wrong.

That said, I'm right more often than I'm wrong. #ColinWasRight

I appreciate Colin addressing my point about Japanese exclusives, I guess he was talking from a sales point of view.

I'm listening!!!

It would be great if they can have Roper,Haynes and Clements back just for even one episode.

To me, Clements is all but a lock. We just have to work on scheduling. Roper may be more difficult, but it's possible. I have no idea where Haynes is.

Hey Colin and Greg,next time you meet Shu could you ask him about Demon's Souls remastered? also ,how about bringing back some more segments from Beyond?

If I remember, I will. Bloodborne was, to me, an admission on their part that they might have messed up not locking that style of game down when they had the chance. The fact that they let Atlus publish the game in the west says they had no idea what they had (and frankly, neither did I).

Loving this. THIS is the content I wanted since KF started. I can't make the live show and Gamescast just doesn't hold my attention. This is what I want to play.

Thank you for your support. I'm glad you like the show.

Just started listening. I'm from Peabody; very weird/cool to hear Colin mention it. Anyways, glad to see this is another 2 hour long episode!

You can take the man out of Northeastern, but you can't take the Northeastern out of the man. I'll always remember how to pronounce those town names.

Another great ep.

I would really love it if every week was 2 hours.

Thanks! I mean, at this point, the podcast will just be as long as it needs to be. For three weeks, it's needed to be long. What I fear is when it's 75-90 minutes because there's not much to talk about. I don't want people to be disappointed, is all, which is why I'm trying (and failing) to set average time parameters.

It's definitely valid for you to point out the global figures. That said, we inherently speak from an American point-of-view, especially with sales, when we really don't get much of a global look at software and hardware sales here (like y'all in the UK or Japan do, for instance).

It's simply a conversation point. You won't agree with everything we say.

I'm not surprised Colin prefers Uncharted 3 to 2.

He has this tendency to cheer for the wrong team, being an Islanders fan and all. ;)

<3

You...!

The crowd funding localization talk made no sense. How is square ponying up the cost up front and making it back the same as crowd funding the total beforehand? Especially since there's no guarantee that they make it back while it's guaranteed if they crowd fund it, even if the same number of copies are sold...since people are willing to contribute more than the cost of a game to it.

That was my argument, but Greg's totally allowed to have his opinion, too, and I think his point of view is also valid.

I have one rule: I'm going to say what I need to say. The guys know that, and they appreciate that, and they encourage it. I'm really not worried about offending an individual or a publisher or a developer, and I'm positive I've offended many. My only priority is to let my audience know what I think in as unfiltered and honest way as possible.

I owe our audience everything. I owe everyone else nothing. So I don't pull my punches.

The one thing I hate with these two is they are not really knowledgeable about anything, they are just personalities.

I respect your point of view, but I'll put my knowledge of this podcast's subject matter against anyone's. I may not have a lot of technical knowledge -- I don't -- but I do have a great deal of knowledge of the ecosystems, studios, history, personnel, and more. So does Greg.

When you talk for a living, and people listen to everything you say, you're going to find that you say the same things a lot, and people will realize the same thing. People should be a little more forgiving about this. Greg and I talk, between all of our products, for literally 20 hours a week, and lots of people listen to all 20 hours.

I have a secret: I don't know you, but I promise you have your own repetitions too which would be noticed if you did 20 hours of content a week I listened to.

Food for thought!

Agreed. It's not a technical podcast. Their technical knowledge may be low, but their knowledge of the industry and Sony's studios more then makes up for it..

We know so little about technical issues that we actually make fun of ourselves about it. As I always say, I can tell if a framerate is bad, or average, or good, or great, but I couldn't tell you "this runs at 51 frames." I don't have that kind of eye. Better you know that than me pretend otherwise, right?

We just aren't technical people. I'm practically an old man with a lot of that stuff. I accept it. It simply doesn't interest me. If a game is pretty, that's awesome. If a game runs at a great resolution, that's fantastic. Gameplay, characters, story, that's what's important to me as a gamer. It could be Naughty Dog or it could be an Atari 2600 game. That's what matters to me.

Nothing against pretty 1080p games that run at 60 frames, of course!

---

Thanks for all of the love, guys and gals. We really do appreciate you. -Colin

Shenmue

Banned
Colin, a lot of us are still wondering why you said the Shenmue 3 kickstarter has "disaster written all over it" at around 19:20 in episode 2.

I would invite you not to just read the articles out there throwing shade at the kickstarter. The project has only recently been funded so why be so negative when there has been no hint of any hiccups heretofore?

If your issue is with the Paypal, they've made it quite clear it was because lots of fans were requesting it and they put a hard deadline on the Paypal. At the end of the year, the budget for the game will be completely cemented. The purpose of the paypal funding is to let some stragglers get some add-ons and maybe hit one or two extra stretch goals. This isn't an abnormal thing for kickstarter projects to do.

Hoping you can offer some insight into your feelings about this.

killroy87

Didn't they leave IGN to do non playstation stuff?

I don't know what gave you that specific idea. They left IGN to do the kind of content they wanted, with no strings attached and no obligation to a massive company telling breathing down their neck. It was never a matter of getting out of Playstation

Didn't they leave IGN to do non playstation stuff?

No. They left IGN to do things in the way they wanted to do them. Colin has often said Podcast Beyond was the one thing at IGN he still loved doing. They actually tried to acquire the podcast from IGN, but they turned down whatever was offered. This podcast was a long time coming. It's like second nature for them.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
It's definitely valid for you to point out the global figures. That said, we inherently speak from an American point-of-view, especially with sales, when we really don't get much of a global look at software and hardware sales here (like y'all in the UK or Japan do, for instance).
You still have an international audience, however, and when talking business figures, you should keep that in mind. Especially true, if you think about Playstation brand, that has its most faithful base in Europe. The competitive situation between Xbox One and PS4 is more of a curiosity, if you think how severely Xbox is getting its ass handed to it worldwide. And this is simply not going to change.

We know so little about technical issues that we actually make fun of ourselves about it.
Well, I know some, and having been in charge of a web service that had to solve a challenge with user IDs being difficult to change, I can offer you a theory why changing PSN IDs may be a bit trickier than just flipping a switch. (I was thinking about sending you guys email, but I don't now remember even if you have a feedback email address.)

You see, Sony Entertainment Network's database has probably several hundred tables with a bunch of data. Your customer information, friends list, purchases and whatnot have to be tied to your online identity in some way. Now, my guess is that Sony engineers made a gross mistake when designing their databases, and they chose the PSN ID as the key piece of data that is used in every single table to link the transactions and other data to one's account. For example, every single row that relates to me in anyway in any Sony online service has a cell with user ID "jryi" in it.

Why is this a problem, you ask? Well, consider that this same SEN data is used in Playstation Network, Sony Music, their movie rentals, maybe (former) SOE games etc. Wherever a user account is referred to, there's that same user ID somewhere. To change a user's ID, you would have to make the changes to every single table in every single service's databases. This is technically risky and complicated and a hell to maintain.

Now, to fix it, Sony would have to add a new column in all its tables, something like "Unique ID", which is unchangeable, possibly invisible to users, and which is then used as the key to the user account. But there are dependencies in all the services, so they would have to be changed as well. And then it all has to be tested. Strenuously. Because this is not a change that you want to fuck up.

Like I said, this is just a theory, and it might be that Sony engineers were smart to begin with and their databases have been designed in a technically solid way. If this is the case, then they are just being assholes about the whole "not allowing changing PSN ID" deal. I like Sony, so I choose to believe they were just incompetent.

Sorry for the derail.

Here's an counterpoint about PS Now from TechRadar (sister site of GamesRadar):

PlayStation Now

Of all the functionality the PS4 gained in the past year, PlayStation Now is our favorite. PS Now is essentially a digital rental service that allows you to rent games for anywhere from two hours to 90 days. Instead of downloading a copy of the game that will take up space on your hard drive and time to download, you'll actually stream the game from Sony's servers. It takes about 25-30 seconds to get a game going, but once you do it's relatively smooth sailing.

Sony recently unveiled an all-you-can-play subscription plan that gives you access to every game on the network for $20 per month. Unfortunately, not every game on PlayStation Now is included in the subscription model, meaning you may have to pay an outlandish fee to stream your favorite game while others may not.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/gaming/games-consoles/sony-ps4-1131803/review

Slixshot

Banned
This was my favorite episode because of the Ratchet and Clank talk.

image.php

-____-

Kasper

We want to (and hope to, and expect we'll be able to) do a live version of the podcast at PSX. We're just waiting for confirmation. We'll have a couple of special guests on, so don't worry. =) Last year's was a little large, I agree, but in hindsight, do you understand why we did it? We had a secret none of you knew yet, and we had some thank yous and memories to go over.

Yeah, I never liked the third chair, but Greg did, and I respect that completely. Also, most of the audience did. I prefer it just being Greg and I.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I certainly understand and respect your decision when it comes to that specific live show. My comment comes from the point of view of me listening to the episode at the time of release and feeling that it fell short of my expectations. Therefor, looking to the future, I just wanted to voice my opinion, hoping you guys might take it into account when planning events. I trust that you know what's best for the show, even if various changes aren't always to my liking, and I will be looking forward to your next live appearance.

As confused as I am about people liking the third chair, I certainly respect their opinion and Greg's decision to put into effect. I was just glad to see that you shared my general opinion on the matter, as it came as a surprise to me.

Fjordson

Third episode was great! I love having Colin and Greg discussing the news again (since the Kinda Funny gamescast doesn't really have that). And I agree with Colin on the third chair thing. Not that I hate when there's someone else on, but it isn't really needed given how good he and Greg are as a duo.

Awesome, i used to always listen to them on Podcast Beyond but once they left i stopped. Wonder if we can get them to talk about a Socom remaster!

It's just one of those things man. You know, this that and the other.

Awesome, i used to always listen to them on Podcast Beyond but once they left i stopped. Wonder if we can get them to talk about a Socom remaster!

Glad you found them! If you want to ask a question for the podcast, you can ask it at www.kindafunny.com/psq (it links you to the question thread on the official Kinda Funny forums, which you will need to register to if you want to ask your question).

Top Bottom