• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Kasper

Stellar second episode, this just keeps getting better and better. I've really missed Beyond.

Glad to hear Colin and Greg are trying to work something out with Clements. Just having him on as a guest would be better than nothing, even if my cream dream supreme would be having him join the show full-time.

If the boys do indeed drop by PSX to do a live episode I hope they have less guests on than the last time, as it sort of kills the flow of conversation with too large of a panel. Just limiting it to a few fan favorites like Shu and Clements would be just perfect.

A little late, but I'm also glad to hear that Colin never liked the idea of the third chair, because I thought it was fucking garbage and severely hindered my enjoyment of Beyond. Consistency is key, and some random person not in on the joke joining the conversation every week (not to mention the quality of said person yo-yo'ing like crazy) really brought Beyond down while that was in effect. Guests are fine, but it should be known quantities who know how to go with the flow. That's why Brian Altano was a great third chair and sadly why most others weren't.

I say, in addition to the opening prayer, throw in a random prayer in the middle of random episodes just to ensure no one can escape it.

I'd be curious if we see any articles spawned from their interview with Shu, especially the bit about Bend's game being their biggest yet.

That's the only qualm I have with Colin, when he speaks authoritatively on issues he might not be 100% informed about, like the extent to which Driveclub didn't work or counting Advanced Warfare among the broken games last holiday.

I do sympathize though that he gets paid to say things all day and you're gonna get some stuff wrong occasionally, which he discussed in the Jim Sterling video.

It can get so frustrating. I'd be more cool with it if he wasn't so arrogant and boastful on the occasions his opinions are proved correct. He's wrong just as often.

Alo0oy

Banned
I appreciate Colin addressing my point about Japanese exclusives, I guess he was talking from a sales point of view.

It's always a pleasure to listen to Shu. This man knows what's going on with the community, and it shows. He legitimately cares about the brand, and its fans, it's nice to see someone as high up in a company like Sony putting the time aside to speak directly to the consumer, be it through his twitter, gaming media or even the Kinda Funny crew.

As for you Colin and Greg, excellent work as always. Actually I shouldn't call it work, since this is clearly something you enjoy doing. I think specially Colin seems to be enjoying this new podcast a lot, he is enthusiastic and brings a lot of great points to the table, as Shu even mentioned. He knows PlayStation. In Gamescast we see him take a bit more of a back seat, maybe due to not being an expert in the topics at hand, but here Colin seems to feel right at home with PS I Love You.

Keep up the good work guys! And thank you for keeping this college student afloat, as he commutes to college for almost 2hrs each day aha!

souffe

Neo Member
Awesome episode, Colin and Greg got mad Sony connections, I feel like they're really the only 2 people that could do a playstation podcast right. And say what you will about colin but he knows what he's talking about when it comes to the playstation ecosystem.

Takiyah

It is crazy how different this feels from their other Kinda Funny Games material. I like gamescast and their let's plays fine but this is literally like classic Podcast Beyond back again.

Totally agree, listening to it feels so good, like a warm sweater on a chilly Autumn day. I'll see myself out now.

I've enjoyed both episodes. I love the change in Greg's voice when he starts getting excited and right before he starts laughing. I'm hoping they do get a panel as PSX or maybe a meetup for podcast fans at one of the bars near the Moscone Center.

On the subject of their prayer, I don't find it offensive or distasteful but rather hilarious and over the top. I have a feeling the people that get uncomfortable by it feel like it's mocking whatever religion they follow and probably want them to stop.
I laughed when Greg asked Shu if they would have their own panel at PSX, because it's not like they were the first gaming podcast without showing a single podcast lol. I hope they're there, it really should be a given to be honest.

It would be great if they can have Roper,Haynes and Clements back just for even one episode.

What is Haynes even doing anymore? Does he still cover video games? Roper, Clements, and Sam Bishop (there was a stretch where you could call him a regular) all work at PlayStation, so a reunion could potentially happen at PSX I'm assuming.

Podcast Beyond: the farm team for SCEA.

Yeah. Also remember that Jeremy Dunham (founder of Podcast Beyond) was a longtime employee of the SCEA's defunct studio Zipper Interactive (Roper worked there too). After its closure Dunham had several other jobs, eventually ending up at Psyonix, who just released Rocket League.

Yeah. Also remember that Jeremy Dunham (founder of Podcast Beyond) was a longtime employee of the SCEA's defunct studio Zipper Interactive (Roper worked there too). After its closure Dunham had several other jobs, eventually ending up at Psyonix, who just released Rocket League.

I remember Roper and Dunham at Zipper. The Socom Community pretty much gave them an ear full.

a916

That's the only qualm I have with Colin, when he speaks authoritatively on issues he might not be 100% informed about, like the extent to which Driveclub didn't work or counting Advanced Warfare among the broken games last holiday.

I do sympathize though that he gets paid to say things all day and you're gonna get some stuff wrong occasionally, which he discussed in the Jim Sterling video.

I think he's more right than wrong than most people... but yeah, sometimes I do go, um that's not right.

Like he's championing the idea that Titanfall's playerbase dwindled because of a lack of a campaign... I don't get that idea at all. What would a 6-7 hour campaign with no replayability have done? It lacked a lot of the depth in the multiplayer unlocks, but a campaign was not going to save that online community for it.

That was fantastic. I really do appreciate how much they clearly enjoy doing this one. You can feel it as they dig into the topics and how they both have a lot of opinions/confidence to just keep talking about a topic. Great stuff.

Echoing Alo0oy, thanks for touching on the topic of those fall Japanese games, Colin.

Enjoyed the conversation with Shu a lot now that I got to finish it.

Looking forward to episode 3 next week.

autoduelist

ok, so i read the op and they mention it's on itunes and youtube. i'm a podcast newb... I want to listen to this on my vita while playing games... I don't have itunes, so where is the best place to download an audio file?

Sid

Hey Colin and Greg,next time you meet Shu could you ask him about Demon's Souls remastered? also ,how about bringing back some more segments from Beyond?

Flunkie

Banned
Loving this. THIS is the content I wanted since KF started. I can't make the live show and Gamescast just doesn't hold my attention. This is what I want to play.

Blablurn

Listened to the first two episodes and I liked them a lot. Colin and Greg is a good team and I feel a lil sorry for the Podcast Beyond team from IGN.

When Shu mentioned the story about people screaming "Beyond" to them it was a kinda awkward situation. They can't really applaud that even though I have all the right to it. But of course u don't want to make too much advertising for them. Even if, I'm sure, they are on friendly terms.

About Shu. It's incredible how he manages to be chief of worldwide studios and also community mascot. We are talking about the guy who supervises the future of all playstation. with the rise of his popularity in recent years it might be easy to forget the kind of responsibility he has. he also seems super smart (which u obviously have to be for this job). and then you have this outgoing personality. i can only salute to shu. he is incredible.

Anyway, what I didnt like was that constant repeating of website addresses or feed sources. That got a lil annoying by the end. Do it just in the beginning and at the end maybe? But not through the whole podcast or before every new section.

But maybe this is just something for the beginning that will get reduced later on.

Anyway, good show! Not much to complain about :) Keep up the good work, guys.

killroy87

Listened to the first two episodes and I liked them a lot. Colin and Greg is a good team and I feel a lil sorry for the Podcast Beyond team from IGN.

When Shu mentioned the story about people screaming "Beyond" to them it was a kinda awkward situation. They can't really applaud that even though I have all the right to it. But of course u don't want to make too much advertising for them. Even if, I'm sure, they are on friendly terms.

About Shu. It's incredible how he manages to be chief of worldwide studios and also community mascot. We are talking about the guy who supervises the future of all playstation. with the rise of his popularity in recent years it might be easy to forget the kind of responsibility he has. he also seems super smart (which u obviously have to be for this job). and then you have this outgoing personality. i can only salute to shu. he is incredible.

Anyway, what I didnt like was that constant repeating of website addresses or feed sources. That got a lil annoying by the end. Do it just in the beginning and at the end maybe? But not through the whole podcast or before every new section.

But maybe this is just something for the beginning that will get reduced later on.

Anyway, good show! Not much to complain about :) Keep up the good work, guys.

That doesn't bother me, especially when you consider a large chunk of the audience found the podcast through iTunes charts or something. A ton of people probably don't know Kinda Funny exists, but that's how they actually make their money. I can't really begrudge people pointing people to their own product, when it's their sole source of income.

Blablurn

That doesn't bother me, especially when you consider a large chunk of the audience found the podcast through iTunes charts or something. A ton of people probably don't know Kinda Funny exists, but that's how they actually make their money. I can't really begrudge people pointing people to their own product, when it's their sole source of income.

Guess you are right.

I still hope it's not going to be like this forever.

They don't have a steady IGN paycheck anymore; they gotta shill their videos when they can. And I'm okay with that. I've been dying for a proper Podcast Beyond since they left IGN.

RedAssedApe

Banned
its not any different from the whole like, follow, subscribe spiel every youtuber/twitch person goes through.

doesn't really bother me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Finally, playstation beyond podcast is so terrible.

Max Sculfield (or whatever his name is) seems to hate having fun on that show. It's why I love Greg hosting it back in the day. You know he LOVES Playstation and all the main and side stories that come from following PS games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hey I know GAF hates the new Beyond because we had the audacity to change the format and we don't literally wear the skin and repeat the same sound effects as the previous hosts, but please focus on Colin and Greg's new show instead of constantly shitting on ours. They made the version of Beyond for people who never want anything to deviate from what it was. We made the version that tried something different. Everything will be OK.

Both shows are great. Both shows co-exist comfortably. We've been nothing but supportive and respectful to C&G as they're very close friends of ours. If you stopped listening to our show, please give it another chance. It's gotten way better over the last few months. If you hate us and want us to die because we never worked with Chris Roper, please listen to PS I Love You. If you can be an adult about it all, please listen to both shows. Just stop shitting on us in a thread that isn't about us at all. Thanks, and Beyond!

Your show is okay. Not great, but okay. The main problem I have with it is that Max seems to hate having fun on the show. You guys yell BEYOND!!!! And he's like, "okay okay guys sheesh."

That sucks! The main host hates to have a fun/free flowing podcast that's centered around PlayStation.

Just started listening. I'm from Peabody; very weird/cool to hear Colin mention it. Anyways, glad to see this is another 2 hour long episode!

Edit: Just caught up on the last four pages. Happy to see that Colin mentioned not being a huge fan of the "rotating third chair." I'm not either. He nailed it; I like tuning in and hearing familiar voices every week. It builds chemistry and a rapport, making the podcast feel less like a show and more like hanging out with friends. The third chair, though not bad every now and then, sort of threw off that rhythm and chemistry. I think it's tough for someone to just drop in and have that instant level of connection that Greg and Colin have built. Happy to hear it'll just be them two.

Bolivar687

Banned
So what did you guys think of the new episode?

Not sure about how VR will do, I think Sony gets into these sectors to ensure that they won't be left behind if it takes off. I'm really not expecting any big AAA games to integrate it, unless I'm overestimating the nausea factor.

I thought it was another great episode, it's quickly becoming my favorite podcast. It made me wonder what Sony's future plans for PS Now are. I wonder if they're going to continue to invest (with new games and compatible devices) in that service, or just let it stagnate.

Not sure about how VR will do, I think Sony gets into these sectors to ensure that they won't be left behind if it takes off. I'm really not expecting any big AAA games to integrate it, unless I'm overestimating the nausea factor.

I think it will be an exciting product, and will sell OK. I'm really interested in what software support for it will be like, especially at launch and throughout the first year. I think that it will need a lot of first party support in the launch window to help show 3rd party devs the selling power of their software on the device. I think the majority of titles will be bespoke games made for PS VR.

Pricing and bundling will be crucial. I'm thinking they'll do a sku that's just the VR unit, and another with camera and move.

I think they were being too hard on PS Now. The majority of people I see disregarding PS Now are people that I know have PS3s already. PS Now is not for them and they will probably find little value in it. Where PS Now can be big is not on PS4, but on TVs (and hopefully on days on PC). Nearly every new Sony Smart TV/Blu-Ray Players has it built in and some Samsung TVs have it now. And I've seen plenty of tech sites praise the relative smoothness and image quality of PS Now. I love Colin and Greg, but sometimes they brush things off too easily. Also, I don't understand saying the acquisition of Gaikai was a waste. PS Now is not the only thing Sony is leveraging with that tech. Vita's Remote Play, SharePlay, PS4's Share features, PS Video streaming (movies, tv shows, trailers, etc.), and of course, PS Now all use the Gaikai tech.

Bolivar687

Banned
Also, I don't understand saying the acquisition of Gaikai was a waste. PS Now is not the only thing Sony is leveraging with that tech. Vita's Remote Play, SharePlay, PS4's Share features, PS Video streaming (movies, tv shows, trailers, etc.), and of course, PS Now all use the Gaikai tech.

This is one of the segments I took issue with. They said that Backwards Compatibility would signal the death of PS Now but I think the end goal is to have streaming of new games in place, not just stop at PS3 titles. I also agree that the service is not only intended for PS4s and Vitas, we are all beta testing this before the full rollout on smart phones, tablets, set top boxes, TVs, cable boxes, etc.

You're also right that the Gaikai acquisition has brought so much more than game streaming. Every Playstation console has introduced a new format from CDs to Blu Rays and this generation it's streaming.

I think the most important thing to remember with PS Now is that it's not a PS4 exclusive thing. It's designed, primarily, to get people who wouldn't invest in PS Hardware, to start investing in the PS ecosystem. Even if they introduce backwards compatibility to PS4 that's potentially games they can sell to new PS4 owners with the option of streaming other titles, along with streaming on other devices.

Flunkie

Banned
I tend to like shorter podcasts, as I don't have a ton of time. I like that there's no strict base time (Comedy Button annoys me with that, like if you're having a good time don't cut your time down just to stay within a time limit), but I don't listen to Bombcast because it's just so long and bloated. However, since they added this podcast, it finally got me to get Patreon and am now backing them. :)

Top Bottom