• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

In the short time PS I love you XOXO has been a podcast, it's already my favorite (and that's coming from an Xbox gamer). In fact, I'd probably say this and Kinda Funny Gamescast are my 1 and 2 favorite podcasts, with GOG up there too.

Excited to listen this week.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Good episode so far, but (I'll get shit for this) I feel like Colin's stick for the past year has been "look Sony has all of these studios and we don't know what they are doing!"

I mean I get it, but it feels like he's been trending the same waters for forever now.

People will disagree though.

Good episode so far, but (I'll get shit for this) I feel like Colin's stick for the past year has been "look Sony has all of these studios and we don't know what they are doing!"

I mean I get it, but it feels like he's been trending the same waters for forever now.

Well, he's not wrong. Shuhei has teased them multiple times about seeing Sony Bend's new game and Sucker Punch's new game. Could they be PSX announcements? PGW next week? E3 2016? They do have a lot of studios that have secret projects going on. The rumor for the Bend game is that its an open world horror game. I was hoping for a next-gen Syphon Filter.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It was a nice episode overall and there's not much to say about it.

GT7 is not going to be a VR only title.... but, if it was, I would be immediately on PS VR, so I completely get Greg's point. Sony could make PS VR a massive thing if it launched with an exclusive GT game and his point about GT's biggest fans being open to peripherals that aid immersion is completely valid.

You pair VR support with legacy wheel support and GT7 on VR makes A LOT of sense.

Still not happening though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well, he's not wrong. Shuhei has teased them multiple times about seeing Sony Bend's new game and Sucker Punch's new game. Could they be PSX announcements? PGW next week? E3 2016? They do have a lot of studios that have secret projects going on. The rumor for the Bend game is that its an open world horror game. I was hoping for a next-gen Syphon Filter.

Oh he's totally right. I'm just saying its been his main thing to harp on since last fall had not very many games.

It's all solid, but I'm glad we got this episode out of the way as I feel Colin can go more on other topics vs retreading this horse.

meanspartan

In the short time PS I love you XOXO has been a podcast, it's already my favorite (and that's coming from an Xbox gamer). In fact, I'd probably say this and Kinda Funny Gamescast are my 1 and 2 favorite podcasts, with GOG up there too.

Excited to listen this week.

I'm right there with you, GameOverGreggy is also a fantastic non-gaming podcast (well, they still bring up games there often too). The KF lineup along with the Completely Unnecessary podcast by Pat Contri and Ian Ferguson are probably my favorite podcasts right now in the gaming space.

Vinc

Fantastic episode today. I like the long format so much more as well, this is already even better than Beyond was. They have great topics of discussion as well, and I really like their points about people talking in hyperbole all the time, it's something I tend to forget, and sometimes get bummed out when I see such a huge negative reception to some games. It's good to remember that speaking in hyperbole is quite ingrained in our behavior now, and it seems like a trend that only gets heightened by the internet.

I also listened to the gameovergreggy show for the first time today (the most difficult moments in our lives episode), and Greg's story was really powerful to listen to. I especially like the part where he talks about how kids have to go through something that was so hard for him to go through...

I really need to scrounge up some money to support Extra Life as much as I can this year.

notaxation

Neo Member
Fantastic episode today. I like the long format so much more as well, this is already even better than Beyond was. They have great topics of discussion as well, and I really like their points about people talking in hyperbole all the time, it's something I tend to forget, and sometimes get bummed out when I see such a huge negative reception to some games. It's good to remember that speaking in hyperbole is quite ingrained in our behavior now, and it seems like a trend that only gets heightened by the internet.

Glad you liked it. I mean, shit, dude, it's so ingrained in us that we do it all the time, too! It's just sometimes good to acknowledge that and at least attempt to tone it back. "I love that" or "I hate that!" is so reductive, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else. No doubt about it.

Karu

Glad you liked it. I mean, shit, dude, it's so ingrained in us that we do it all the time, too! It's just sometimes good to acknowledge that and at least attempt to tone it back. "I love that" or "I hate that!" is so reductive, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else. No doubt about it.
Well, it's in the title, really. :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
so uh...what's the story behind roper report. didn't listen to these guys when they were at ign. only somewhat familiar with kfg

Great episode. I love the rundown of what all of the studios are working on.

I do disagree about the Xbox One lower install base potentially making it a worse console to own down the road. We saw PS+ come out as an incredible value largely because the PS3 wanted the online market share that was being dominated by the Xbox 360. I think being in second place makes the company try harder and has the potential to create great value for the consumer. Look at 2006 Sony, they never would've come around on value without getting their reality check.

styl3s

so uh...what's the story behind roper report. didn't listen to these guys when they were at ign. only somewhat familiar with kfg
The segment of the show that, typically, begins the show and sums up the past week in news. The name is derived from Podcast Beyond founder Chris Roper who used to read off the news stories in the older episodes. Once Roper left IGN, the fans were presented with a decision on whether or not the name "The Roper Report" should stay and an overwhelming amount demanded that, yes, it remain intact. Shortly thereafter, the segment began to be introduced as "What once was, is now, and forever will be, The Roper Report". The Beyond Crew have tripped up on this introduction many times which has become a running joke as well. Another running joke is that Colin Moriarty, the one who gathers The Roper Report, includes unneccesary and mundane news stories while also spinning the news to interject his own opinions. On especailly long Roper Reports, Greg will play "I guarantee it/I doubt it" where stories he thinks are compelling get a "I guarantee it." - alluding to the Men's Wearhouse ads; where stories he doesn't really care about gets an "I doubt it!" Which is from an ad for a furniture store (I believe it's Bob's) in the Connecticut/New York/Massachusetts area.

It will forever be, the roper report.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Good episode and I have seen all four episodes. Greg is good but I like Colin a lot more simply because his gaming habits are similar to mine (prefers single player games, not into multi-player/co-op, hoping that The Division has a single play campaign (me too) and best of all, prefers Mad Max over MGSV).

Really hoping they get the woman from Sony Santa Monica (forgot her name) to talk about their cancelled game because at 70% completed, better off finishing and releasing it than cancelling it in my opinion.

Love Colin calling out Platinum Games and Telltale Games as I agree completely. Platinum is excellent but yeah, if they only have 200 or so employees, they're stretching themselves way too thin. Also agree with Colin about Housemarque. Played but wasn't into Super Stardust or Resogun but Dead Nation was excellent and Outland deserves a sequel. Hell, Outland was my own personal game of the year for 2011 beating out Uncharted 3 (which is one of the few things that I have disagreed with him on) and im anxiously awaiting Alienation.

Simply, an excellent PlayStation podcast every week and Gamescast is pretty damn good as well. I like the setup with Tim, Greg and Colin because it adds another opinion and perspective to that show. Just wish the Gamescast show was posted on Youtube as a whole earlier than Friday instead of just segments.

Game of the year conversation was pretty much expected on the Gamescast but for me, nothing is surpassing The Witcher 3 and Mad Max is my runner up.

Two excellent podcasts that are very well done, entertaining and informative. Keep up the excellent work guys. :)

P.S. - (no not that), im happy that the podcasts aren't just audio and that you guys are sitting there talking about games. For some reason, I can't listen to podcasts with just audio. It's weird but whatever.

taizuke

I don't see how Uncharted 4 is going to be delayed again. Colin said Naughty Dog would never release a game if it's not up to their standards and i agree with that part but they already delayed the game to make sure the ending lives up to expectations. So, they already delayed it for that reason. I'm with Greg. I think it's gonna be ready.

Besides, i think delaying Uncharted 4 to early 2016 was more of a marketing move. I mean most everybody and their mama is playing the Uncharted collection now thus ensuring a bigger pool of players ready for U4 in March.

Btw, love the new podcast. Love the longer format too.

Vinc

Absolutely, and if we do make sure our tone matches our real enthusiasm, it ends up giving us more credibility, as our spending habits will be more closely tied to what we say, which is something publishers will certainly notice. I don't think this is something that will ever fully change though, and that's also ok, we just have to be aware of this fact.

I don't see how Uncharted 4 is going to be delayed again. Colin said Naughty Dog would never release a game if it's not up to their standards and i agree with that part but they already delayed the game to make sure the ending lives up to expectations. So, they already delayed it for that reason. I'm with Greg. I think it's gonna be ready.

Besides, i think delaying Uncharted 4 to early 2016 was more of a marketing move. I mean most everybody and their mama is playing the Uncharted collection now thus ensuring a bigger pool of players ready for U4 in March.

Btw, love the new podcast. Love the longer format too.

Someone brought up a thought on Colin and Greg Live today where they speculated that the image of Nolan North's work being wrapped was actually mo-cap work for the single player DLC that will release after the game comes out. Colin said he thinks that sounds plausible and quite likely. I wonder if that means his position on the game's release date will change. That makes sense to me, as Neil Druckmann's tweet signified Nolan's work for the Uncharted franchise was wrapped. If Nathan Drake is in the DLC, Nolan North's work would not be wrapped until the DLC mo-cap sessions were completed. So, I think it is likely the tweet of Nolan North's final day was his work on the DLC and his UC4 work ended a while ago. Maybe.

Alo0oy

Banned
Someone brought up a thought on Colin and Greg Live today where they speculated that the image of Nolan North's work being wrapped was actually mo-cap work for the single player DLC that will release after the game comes out. Colin said he thinks that sounds plausible and quite likely. I wonder if that means his position on the game's release date will change. That makes sense to me, as Neil Druckmann's tweet signified Nolan's work for the Uncharted franchise was wrapped. If Nathan Drake is in the DLC, Nolan North's work would not be wrapped until the DLC mo-cap sessions were completed. So, I think it is likely the tweet of Nolan North's final day was his work on the DLC and his UC4 work ended a while ago. Maybe.

His mo-cap work can still be for the main game & it still would make sense for the game to release in March, TLOU mo-cap wrapped up in December, 6 months before launch, exactly like Uncharted 4.

Just finished the episode and one thing that really stood out to me was how I totally agree with Collin's opinion that Tell Tale Games is overrated. Which they are.

He brought up some great points as to why but I have never agreed with him more than during that segment.

Also another great episode. I hope they keep the episodes around the 2 hour mark. I really like that length as it creates a lot of discussion and a variety of topics. It doesn't feel rushed or crammed.

His mo-cap work can still be for the main game & it still would make sense for the game to release in March, TLOU mo-cap wrapped up in December, 6 months before launch, exactly like Uncharted 4.

I know. I think the tweet was one of Colin's justifications for a possible delay. I thought nothing of the tweet until Colin brought it up. Even when he said it, I figured it would release on time.

nicolajNN

I wonder if they will push back next week's episode a day. Seems like a waste to have the episode go up as Sony's presser is happening. Would be weird listening to a PS podcast after the conference with no coverage coverage of the biggest PlayStation news in months.

I wonder if they will push back next week's episode a day. Seems like a waste to have the episode go up as Sony's presser is happening. Would be weird listening to a PS podcast after the conference with no coverage coverage of the biggest PlayStation news in months.

I think it would be cool if they did a split episode. First half predictions, second half reactions.

I think it would be cool if they did a split episode. First half predictions, second half reactions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make PGW its own thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a 30-minute pre-show where they give predictions and a however long post-show where they discuss the announcements. Maybe all four of them can take part.

Just listened to the latest podcast, thought Greg's idea of having GT7 be VR only was frankly kinda dumb. A mainline GT on PS4 has the potential to be Sony's biggest game of the generation. I think he overestimates the number of people who buy expensive racing wheels for GT. At the same time I think it would be stupid for GT7 not to have VR support, but there would no reason for VR to ever be mandatory, fans would revolt.

Also I know it was a reader question but the analogy comparing a hammer breaking therefore not buying that brand of hammer again to EA with Mass Effect is probably the worst comparison you could ever make. Like seriously what? The people who got upset at ME 3's ending were most likely the series' biggest fans, which also means they'll welcome a new game especially one that is essentially starting fresh from a story perspective. I'm sure many of them are apprehensive just like so many were with the new Assassin's Creed, butvthat doesn't mean they never want to play the franchise again. That's like calling Star Wars' fans who hated the prequals hypocritical for being excited for Episode 7.

I am loving this podcast. I really didn't realize that I had missed Beyond (as it was in it's old incarnation) as much as I did, now it's my go to commute companion. Thanks Greg and Colin for putting this out again.

I see what Greg's saying about GT7 being a VR only thing to push the VR product, but I think Sony won't do it, specifically because it's (aside from GT6) the money printing IP that Sony has. I do think that GT fans will probably pick up the VR for it as it probably will just make the game that much better.

Also great interview with Shu on episode 2, I'm looking forward to future interviews you guys get, cause I know they're coming.

Also Colin I know you're out there on this thread, got any good book suggestions on Early American history? I've read John Adams and 1776 as of late, I'm currently working through David Donald's Lincoln book. Would like to know what else you'd think would be great reads.

I know. I think the tweet was one of Colin's justifications for a possible delay. I thought nothing of the tweet until Colin brought it up. Even when he said it, I figured it would release on time.

Maybe it's like in movies where they're doing pickup shots, but with mocap. It could signal that they're farther behind then they want to be, but I could also see it as they wanted to touch some things up, maybe brought him back in to redo a scene or two. I hope there's no delay, I really REALLY want to play some Uncharted 4.

EDIT
as Neil Druckmann's tweet signified Nolan's work for the Uncharted franchise was wrapped. If Nathan Drake is in the DLC, Nolan North's work would not be wrapped until the DLC mo-cap sessions were completed.
That also makes a ton of sense.

Is it just me or do these guys actually not know much about Playstation and the studios? Like, they really think Evolution is making another Motorstorm? Sony has already said they will be working on content for Driveclub for the foreseeable future.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Good episode and I have seen all four episodes. Greg is good but I like Colin a lot more simply because his gaming habits are similar to mine (prefers single player games, not into multi-player/co-op, hoping that The Division has a single play campaign (me too) and best of all, prefers Mad Max over MGSV).

Really hoping they get the woman from Sony Santa Monica (forgot her name) to talk about their cancelled game because at 70% completed, better off finishing and releasing it than cancelling it in my opinion.

Love Colin calling out Platinum Games and Telltale Games as I agree completely. Platinum is excellent but yeah, if they only have 200 or so employees, they're stretching themselves way too thin. Also agree with Colin about Housemarque. Played but wasn't into Super Stardust or Resogun but Dead Nation was excellent and Outland deserves a sequel. Hell, Outland was my own personal game of the year for 2011 beating out Uncharted 3 (which is one of the few things that I have disagreed with him on) and im anxiously awaiting Alienation.

Simply, an excellent PlayStation podcast every week and Gamescast is pretty damn good as well. I like the setup with Tim, Greg and Colin because it adds another opinion and perspective to that show. Just wish the Gamescast show was posted on Youtube as a whole earlier than Friday instead of just segments.

Game of the year conversation was pretty much expected on the Gamescast but for me, nothing is surpassing The Witcher 3 and Mad Max is my runner up.

Two excellent podcasts that are very well done, entertaining and informative. Keep up the excellent work guys. :)

P.S. - (no not that), im happy that the podcasts aren't just audio and that you guys are sitting there talking about games. For some reason, I can't listen to podcasts with just audio. It's weird but whatever.

Mad Max was awful, in my opinion. Couldn't go past the first 2 hours, and getting to that was a chore even. If you're to compare the two for some odd reason, mainly because they came out on the same day perhaps, then I'd say MGS V runs circles around Mad Max any day.

Is it just me or do these guys actually not know much about Playstation and the studios? Like, they really think Evolution is making another Motorstorm? Sony has already said they will be working on content for Driveclub for the foreseeable future.

Well... I would sway that out of all the studios they probably know the least about Evolution. But they sure as hell know the rest, especially since Colin has done amazing articles when he worked for IGN about the history of them. I would say he is pretty spot on.

My iPhone crashes everytime I start listening to this podcast. It will also do this randomly during the podcast if I can get it to start. I don't have this problem with any other podcast. Anybody else has this issue as well?

I agree. I feel like it's mainly because Sony has so many studios, though. Like, by the time we get around to 2017, Uncharted 4 will be out, and it'll become, "WHAT ARE NAUGHTY DOG UP TO?"

I mean, this can never end really can it? There'll always be some studios with announced games and some without...

In short, I agree with your post!

So I don't agree with Colin about Platinum (or Greg for even wondering if they were ever great, what?) The only times their games have been less than stellar were when they were published by Activision. Strange coincidence. They are being spread too thin though.

As for TellTale, I absolutely agree. And I have been a fan of TellTale well before TWD explosion. It would take a lot to make me buy another game from them.

Props for the hyperbole discussion. It's something that penetrates even NeoGAF.

They definitely seem to be spreading themselves too thin nowadays. We'll see how that plays out for them though. Saying Platinum was never that good doesn't seem right.

I do think people give them a bit too much crap for Korra. It may not be that hot of a game, but they had a short dev cycle and a low budget to work with. Didn't it only launch as a 15$ downloadable title?

Props for the hyperbole discussion. It's something that penetrates even NeoGAF.

Hyperbole has infected gaming discussion - but I don't think Greg or Colin are above it (perhaps they say this in the podcast, I can't remember).

Colin has described several games as astonishing - most of which I think the majority would say are merely good (not trying to say people can't have opinions).

Words such as great, excellent, exceptional and astonishing are thrown around a lot and just cheapen the conversation if you ask me.

Personally, I'd love to see a discussion about the use of language in video games journalism and how it impacts on public perception and reaction. I think, and I'm not trying to pick on anyone, the American press really does go overboard with praise and raises expectations to unreasonable levels.

I'd love to see the average review scores of European outlets in comparison and compare the language used in reviews to their American counterparts.

nicolajNN

Maybe not a full scale Motorstorm, but it's not an outrageous thought that a part of the studio is working on a new small scale game. I think a better example would be that they could have gone more in depth with Bend, there's been a lot of hints and rumours about the nature of their game, but they didn't talk much about that.

That being said they obviously know a lot, but it's not necessarily easy to just remember something in the middle of a recording

Top Bottom