• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

DeviantBoi

To be fair, he did vote for Obama and left the Republican party because of Trump so there is something to be said there. That said, the joke was in poor taste, especially today. But I feel like it is being heavily overblown. If he would have just apologized and left it alone, things would be different.

Voted for Obama but then voted for the "binders-full-of-women" guy, who promised to defund Planned Parenthood and wanted the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.

I don't want to get into the politics stuff because I know what the mods wrote, but you gotta take what you know of the guy to give some context to the tweet.

That's my biggest takeaway from this whole ordeal--nobody who throws out tepid dishwater "jokes" like those can ever hide behind humour as a defense.
I was listening to a comedian on the radio once and the hosts asked him about making offensive jokes. And the comedian said it's tricky because you can make a joke about anything... As long as it's funny.

And the joke wasn't funny and the responses were worse.

The Simpsons is my favourite show of all time and I despise Family Guy but I would never use someone's opinions of those as any sort of reflection on them or their intelligence.

I know it's a joke for most but I'm sick of this coming up in any thread about Colin.

Also I know Greg's tweet reinvigorated this discussion but as someone mentioned pages ago we need to stay on topic or this may get locked. A company statement and reaction can probably go to the KF community thread as it doesn't specifically pertain to this show.

Simpsons has always been my favorite, too. Family Guy used to be close behind it, but I'd rate Futurama (despite having ended several years ago), Bob's Burgers, and Rick and Morty above it. I also like Robot Chicken still, but it feels like it goes away for too long. Also, like Family Guy, I feel like it's best days are way behind it. The Simpsons had that issue, too, but seemed to rebound in the mid-2000's. Still nowhere near the glory days, but still better than many shows on TV today. I will be sad to see it go. It's currently in Season 28 and could see it ending at Season 30.

tuxfool

Banned
This entire thing was massively blown out of proportion by both Colin's followers and those against him.
I might say that it isn't.

The only thing that provoked this "apology" is because their peers in the industry had finally had enough. This isn't an isolated incident but rather a continual pattern. Apologists are going to keep using the 'overblown' excuse how many more times?

Vinc

The insane response to this bums me out. Feels like bullying. Funny or not to you, a joke is a joke. I hear worse jokes than that every day. I don't think it perpetuates an idea. If people read that tweet and think "wow, he's so right, women really are loud and obnoxious!", then they're the problem, not the joke itself. If there was any truth to his statement, it wouldn't even be a joke at all. I see this as making fun of the stereotype, but maybe I'm crazy. I don't think it's that funny, but he never claimed to be a comedian. The insane response to this is what bums me out. It really is like bullying. Unfortunate situation all around, I guess... :(. KF guys have a right to disagree with him, but publicly disagreeing with him like that also bums me out. I get that they feel like they have to do it due to their own opinion and the unfortunate toxicity it could bring to the brand, but it bums me out regardless.

If he was a nobody, maybe this joke would have landed better. He is a public figure with a history.

I find the joke a bit tasteless on the women's day, but rather, it's not THAT bad.

Come on guys

I went to see if Colin tweeted again. He did (though, I think it was a scheduled tweet). However, when I went to read the comments, I saw this and thought it was interesting.
pVdWKOM.png

Paz

Is it so hard to not be an asshole about things? Even if it was a joke, it was a terrible one, and doubling down on thinking you did nothing wrong because everyone got 'triggered' is the most dickish thing you can do.

JUST BE GOOD HUMAN BEINGS FFS.

The insane response to this bums me out. Feels like bullying. Funny or not to you, a joke is a joke. I hear worse jokes than that every day. I don't think it perpetuates an idea. If people read that tweet and think "wow, he's so right, women really are loud and obnoxious!", then they're the problem, not the joke itself. If there was any truth to his statement, it wouldn't even be a joke at all. I see this as making fun of the stereotype, but maybe I'm crazy. I don't think it's that funny, but he never claimed to be a comedian. The insane response to this is what bums me out. It really is like bullying. Unfortunate situation all around, I guess... :(

I think a lot of people's problem with it is that he specifically waited until a day that is meant for celebrating women around the world to tweet his shitty joke.

If he was a nobody, maybe this joke would have landed better. He is a public figure with a history.

I find the joke a bit tasteless on the women's day, but rather, it's not THAT bad.

Come on guys
My thing is KF should have saved an apology for Colin letter for when he really says something crazy, wasting an apology on an off color statement like that, seems like a waste.

Jerm411

I went to see if Colin tweeted again. He did (though, I think it was a scheduled tweet). However, when I went to read the comments, I saw this and thought it was interesting.
pVdWKOM.png

Everything with Colin in the KF circles is like a cult....it's goddamn frightening and gross.

Think that's bad? Read the thread on the KF Facebook group....holy shit....

Curufinwe

The only thing that provoked this "apology" is because their peers in the industry had finally had enough. This isn't an isolated incident but rather a continual pattern. Apologists are going to keep using the 'overblown' excuse how many more times?

It really is kinda funny that Colin thought he could say whatever shit he felt like without alienating himself and KF from their game coverage peers, and the people who actually make games. Compare Colin's "joke" to this.

https://twitter.com/naughty_dog/status/839606524880150528

How many of the people in this picture would find it funny, or want to have any association with the organization Colin represents?

My thing is KF should have saved an apology for Colin letter for when he really says something crazy, wasting an apology on an off color statement like that, seems like a waste.

Colin has already said so many ridiculous things. If you wait for an apology for something truly crazy, you'd be waiting forever.

It really is kinda funny that Colin thought he could say whatever shit he felt like without alienating himself and KF from their game coverage peers, and the people who actually make games. Compare Colin's "joke" to this.

How many of the people in this picture would find it funny, or want to have any association with the organization Colin represents?

I dunno, they look like reasonable adults, and they're not on the internet, so they probably wouldn't overreact to a silly degree.

I always suspected Jak and Daxter were actually girls.

decisions

Everything with Colin in the KF circles is like a cult....it's goddamn frightening and gross.

Think that's bad? Read the thread on the KF Facebook group....holy shit....

You read that string of Tweets and saw something "like a cult"? I see a good point raised about Greg's hypocrisy and a mom defending her son. I mean come on man...

Bulby

But he clearly isnt a sexist. It was a crap joke in a bad context. The joke itself was barely offensive.

Sad that Colin is more like the anime avatar who tweeted in response that Naughty Dogs employees should be in the kitchen than an industry professional who respects his peers and audience.

Jerm411

You read that string of Tweets and saw something "like a cult"? I see a good point raised about Greg's hypocrisy and a mom defending her son. I mean come on man...

Wasn't referring to that string of tweets in particular....but a lot of the responses I saw to Greg and Tim and Justin Davis totally came off that way.

Like I said if I'm nuts, go read that FB thread...I'll wait...

Vinc

I think a lot of people's problem with it is that he specifically waited until a day that is meant for celebrating women around the world to tweet his shitty joke.

I think he just made that joke because that hashtag is trending today. Just seems like a harmless thing, and the idea that the joke perpetuates the cliche rather than makes fun of it seems like a misunderstanding of what the joke is, but that's my interpretation. I just personally think it's strange that people think he's truly being a sexist asshole with that statement. It's a really tasteless thing to say to someone as a serious statement, especially on such a day... but isn't that the joke? Making fun of the idea reflected in the statement itself?

I get that it can be way harder to understand context on the internet, though... but I feel like a lot of people know he meant it as a harmless joke, and may be acting offended because they personally don't like the guy. And to me, right now, that comes off as bullying, and I find it genuinely sad (I don't mean that people are "sad" for acting like this, but rather that I find the situation sad). I get being offended if you misunderstand the fact that it's a joke, though.

What I don't get is people being offended because they don't find the joke funny. I tell unfunny jokes all the time, and that in itself isn't an offensive thing. Why would it be less offensive if the joke genuinely made you laugh? I also don't get why someone would be offended when they know it's a joke, as I reject the idea that the joke perpetuates a truly harmful sentiment, since the humor in the joke is that the sentiment it reflects is obviously ridiculous. If people rally behind the joke and go "Yeah! All women ARE loud and obnoxious!", then the problem rests with them for completely missing the point.

Edit: It really would have helped if he did follow up with an honest tweet, rather than a joke, since it can be hard to understand context and tone on twitter. I also think today is an important day with something important to say, so having this be his only statement does suck a little bit. I see that angle for sure. I just don't think the bullying we're seeing is the answer.

Sure there are, how many times do you actually expect them to apologize for him? They wastes a get out of jail card on something that in normal social circles would be frowned upon at the most.
Maybe you should take issue with the fact that he needs to constantly be apologised for and not that they "wasted" an apology

tuxfool

Banned
I first heard about this incident on a retweet from Steve Gaynor. I wonder what he thinks after talking to them last week? Do people think he will return their calls the next time?

I first heard about this incident on a retweet from Steve Gaynor. I wonder what he thinks after talking to them last week? Do people think he will return their calls the next time?

I hope so. Steve has amazing opinions. This is just a major cluster fuck all around.

Bulby

Maybe you should take issue with the fact that he needs to constantly be apologised for and not that they "wasted" an apology

What else should he be sorry for? He should be sorry for the joke, but apart from that, differing political reviews dont need to be apologised for.

APF

The fact that you know he's going to be even more shitty later should be a big red flag.

The insane response to this bums me out. Feels like bullying. Funny or not to you, a joke is a joke. I hear worse jokes than that every day. I don't think it perpetuates an idea. If people read that tweet and think "wow, he's so right, women really are loud and obnoxious!", then they're the problem, not the joke itself. If there was any truth to his statement, it wouldn't even be a joke at all. I see this as making fun of the stereotype, but maybe I'm crazy. I don't think it's that funny, but he never claimed to be a comedian. The insane response to this is what bums me out. It really is like bullying. Unfortunate situation all around, I guess... :(. KF guys have a right to disagree with him, but publicly disagreeing with him like that also bums me out. I get that they feel like they have to do it due to their own opinion and the unfortunate toxicity it could bring to the brand, but it bums me out regardless.

I'll echo what someone said earlier in the thread. It's the same as making a "black people like fried chicken!!" joke on the first day of Black History Month. It's never good, it's worse today of all days, and he's worse for basically doubling down.

tuxfool

Banned
Sure there are, how many times do you actually expect them to apologize for him? They wastes a get out of jail card on something that in normal social circles would be frowned upon at the most.
Here you're talking about banking apologies as if they're a commodity that you need to save for a rainy day. That basically means you expect them to apologize for him again. That is a pretty shitty and cynical outlook if you ask me.

Servbot24

Banned
Colin's going to make some kind of "Sorry you were offended" pseudo-apology I'm sure. The thing is, he doesn't have to be sorry. He has fans who think that jokes about oppression and inequality are hilarious (sometimes they are when expertly done. colin is not an expert). As long as he has people supporting him, he doesn't have to do any self-reflection, so he won't.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just looked up the tweet and...... People got offended by that? I guess it shouldn't surprise me at all with the PC world we live in nowdays...

it's clearly a joke. I made the same remark to my wife and she laughed then hit me.

It's no different when women make jokes about men when they leave the house and they have peace and quiet and don't have to "babysit"

Curufinwe

I'm sure this situation hasn't escaped the attention of many developers.

I don't get offended by the things Colin says so it would be difficult for me to take issue with it. Colin has been Colin, the only difference now is people are realizing that he is not as empathetic as they are.

As someone from Long Island, I've never vehemently disagreed more that Colin is the pride of it. More like the bane of it.
As someone also from Long Island I need to remind you of real banes of Long Island

Lindsay Lohan
Joey Buttafouco
Amy Fisher

To be clear I don't think it's a very tasteful joke. In a vacuum it wouldn't be seen as that big a deal. The fact he did it on today and then insulted people disagreeing with him certainly make it more shitty. But it feels like it's being turned into a bigger deal (Colin is sexist! BUT MY FREE SPEECH!) on both sides.

At the end of the day it's a shitty joke people shouldn't be praising but I'm not gonna slaughter him over it either.

Vinc

I'll echo what someone said earlier in the thread. It's the same as making a "black people like fried chicken!!" joke on the first day of Black History Month. It's never good, it's worse today of all days, and he's worse for basically doubling down.

You're not wrong... I get that angle for sure. I may be misguided here, but I do feel like there's a difference. I didn't interpret his joke as "it's funny because it's true!". I get that it can be seen as offensive... I just don't think ganging up on him like that is a good thing in any way. At worst, this warrants a "come on man, bad timing" reaction. It's just saddening and harmful to see people taking the opportunity to gang up on him with extreme reactions.

tuxfool

Banned
To be clear I don't think it's a very tasteful joke. In a vacuum it wouldn't be seen as that big a deal. The fact he did it on today and then insulted people disagreeing with him certainly make it more shitty. But it feels like it's being turned into a bigger deal (Colin is sexist! BUT MY FREE SPEECH!) on both sides.

At the end of the day it's a shitty joke people shouldn't be praising but I'm not gonna slaughter him over it either.
You know how this would have been resolved? With an apology, even a quick one, not a double down, not calling people bigoteers or claiming they have no sense of humor.

AmuroChan

Isn't Rooster Teeth a partner of KF? Would they take action? IDK.

They are a partner, but I don't know what their business relationship is exactly. I guess if they take issues with this, they could just demand that future collaborations must exclude Colin. I don't think this will cause them to cut ties with KF completely.

Top Bottom