• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

You're not wrong... I get that angle for sure. I may be misguided here, but I do feel like there's a difference. I didn't interpret his joke as "it's funny because it's true!". I get that it can be seen as offensive... I just don't think ganging up on him like that is a good thing in any way. At worst, this warrants a "come on man, bad timing" reaction. It's just saddening and harmful to see people taking the opportunity to gang up on him with extreme reactions.

You'll have to give me examples of what you consider extreme reactioms, because in my experience in this thread it's mostly people saying that a guy who has recently said multiple shitty things said another shitty thing.

I get what you mean, I think he was going for a joke here and is not legitimately a complete sexist or anything, but I also think the context doesn't really matter in this situation. I would feel differently if this was the first dumb thing he's said like this, but it's not.

You know how this would have been resolved? With an apology, even a quick one, not a double down, not calling people bigoteers or claiming they have no sense of humor.

Why would he apologize? He doesn't feel he did anything wrong? And on the spectrum of things for people to get raging mad about I'm inclined to agree with that.

Ironically this thread is laughing and talking about Simpsons and Family Guy. Two shows that heavily feature negative male stereotyping (which again in those cases is mostly harmless)

tuxfool

Banned
Why would he apologize? He doesn't feel he did anything wrong? And on the spectrum of things for people to get raging mad about I'm inclined to agree with that.
Fine, no apology necessary, reap the rewards then.

Have apologize for him, he will never learn. And this shit you claim to decry is going to keep happening. Once again it isn't the original incident that is the problem but his response to it.

Just looked up the tweet and...... People got offended by that? I guess it shouldn't surprise me at all with the PC world we live in nowdays...

it's clearly a joke. I made the same remark to my wife and she laughed then hit me.

It's no different when women make jokes about men when they leave the house and they have peace and quiet and don't have to "babysit"

First of all, jokes about not having to "babysit" are generally said about a specific person, not being broadcast to 140,000 people about no one in particular. Second, women aren't making those jokes on International Men's Day, which coincidentally, doesn't exist. I wonder why.

We know it's a joke. We also know it has context.

There are people pulling funding from their Patreon. That's pretty mad

I see some followers on twitter are definitely pulling funding. But that's not just because of this event. It's because Colin says dumb stuff like this quite a bit and for some, this is the final straw.

Is that his mom defending him on twitter..........?

Well, yeah, that's not unusual in and of itself (of course she'll defend him. She's his mother!). The interesting part is that the Amen tweet is in response to someone calling out Greg. Considering how Colin and Greg has been a duo for so long, I thought that was interesting.

mrk8885

Banned
He has no reason to apologize. This whole thing is silly.

If only people saved up all this fake outrage energy and put it toward something that mattered.

Once again it isn't the original incident that is the problem but his response to it.

I agree with this. He handled it pretty shitty won't defend him on that

First of all, jokes about not having to "babysit" are generally said about a specific person, not being broadcast to 140,000 people about no one in particular. Second, women aren't making those jokes on International Men's Day, which coincidentally, doesn't exist. I wonder why.

We know it's a joke. We also know it has context.

The bumbling idiot dad is a massively ingrained negative male stereotype. Just as big as the "Loud wife" without question.

Maximo

People are taking it too seriously however its another jab another joke of a series of questionable things Colin tweets its not a one off its a pattern, doing it today of all days is just inappropriate he could have sent a nice message or..not said anything at all or leave it for another day.

Kinda Funny has lost views before after some of Colin's controversies by the way. I think Colin said that on today's episode of PS I Love You. In terms of sending a message through monetary means it's going to be felt.

That's the only thing I still watch / listen of theirs anymore and I might be done at this point.

Well, yeah, that's not unusual in and of itself (of course she'll defend him. She's his mother!). The interesting part is that the Amen tweet is in response to someone calling out Greg. Considering how Colin and Greg has been a duo for so long, I thought that was interesting.

Well as a grown ass man I dont need/ wouldn't want my mother fighting my battles for me.

Plus its funny given his tweet.

The bumbling idiot dad is a massively ingrained negative male stereotype. Just as big as the "Loud wife" without question.
I'm not denying it's a lame stereotype, but if someone is commenting on their SO or their dumb friends or whatever it just seems very different from talking about women in the workplace on your high profile twitter account.

I dont think people really care when Colin is talking about differences in economics or taxes, things of that nature. But you start talking about social issues and things are going to get messy, especially in this current political climate.

There are people pulling funding from their Patreon. That's pretty mad

Or disappointed, disgusted, embarrassed, or many other reasons. If he should be allowed to "make a joke" without ramification, then people should be able to pull their patreon support without people thinking that they're being PC or mad or whatever.

People can pull funding it will just drive others to support him.
I think the problem is people can't handle the fact he is not as empathetic as they are. They expect him to be something he is not and never was. You can't force someone to care about things they never cared about to begin with, if that loses viewers so be it, if Greg is really his boy he would stand by him.

(Especially when Greg has said shit that made me raise an eye brow on one or two occasions)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I always enjoyed Greg. His enthusiasm and his never ending quest to making people feel comfortable in the gaming community is well documented. I still remember him interviewing Up at Noon super fan Greg Atlas, and just being a great friend to him. It warmed my heart watching that episode and really showed what kind of a guy Greg is.
(I still miss the one man Greg Up At Noon, especially with Mike Drucker's writing)

Even though Colin will vehemently disagree with this take, Kinda Funny is in a way a "safe space" or more put an inclusive space for gamers, fans of general nerd shit. For crying out loud they call their fans "best friends". Recently Colin's words seem to go against this philosophy. I think Colin needs to find a balance between his hot takes. Like maybe today, leave the jokes at home but I don't think Colin should silenced or can't express his views in another manner. Like I said, he needs balance but I nor should anyone else should tell him what that balance is, he needs to figure that out on his own. The problem is I don't think he cares. Ah well.

It is if you happen to fall into that group that likes the things they like/are/relate to.
It isn't for anyone else and it made me stop listening I liked them over the years but a couple of weeks ago Colin made one too many insensitive "joke" for my tastes and after years of shrugging them away it just got too much. I don't need this shit of someone constantly making fun of the things I like or belittling the struggles I have just because he can't see it from his perspective which more often than not at least during the way he behaves in shows has been very lacking of empathy.
Which sucks cause I especially loved Tim as a truly positive force within Kinda Funny. Greg is a lot of great positive energy too but is influenced easily,
KF as a whole is def a place I would not label as inclusive or good vibes nor has it made me feel very welcome in recent memory. But dunno maybe it's also the contrast of now being more into a community that is actually in general welcoming, respectful and good vibes.

LordofPwn

I got a chuckle from his joke because he lives with Greg who is probably the loudest person in all of games media. Then I saw the replies and damn, it's 2017 and people can't handle a kinda funny tweet with so much irony I doubt there are any more anemic people in the SF Bay Area.

Apologies to those with iron deficiencies, like my dad.

EDIT: Also to be clear, it was a dumb joke to make, especially today of all days. And it will be great when people can treat each other like normal human beings and not need special days or months to remember that fact.

Or disappointed, disgusted, embarrassed, or many other reasons. If he should be allowed to "make a joke" without ramification, then people should be able to pull their patreon support without people thinking that they're being PC or mad or whatever.

It's just not wanting to give money to someone who is unable to express sensitivity or understand context. Being mad doesn't play into it, that's being principled.

I mean you can just be disappointed with something and pull your money from it. I don't think it's fair to characterise everyone who has done so as mad

I don't disagree with any of that. If you are someone actually upset / offended at the things Colin is saying you have every single right to pull every cent from them.

I'm just going by reading the comments on Twitter where it seems like this is a massive fight in their community. People there seem really upset both ways. The conversation here is much more level headed. My comments about people being mad were based on the Twitter feed

MastAndo

Pull your funding, refuse to watch his content, but demanding a coerced apology is about the silliest thing imaginable. He's not a child. You're not going to teach him manners by suggesting he tuck his tail between his legs and pretend to be sorry for something. He'd only be doing it to protect his brand anyway.

As for the tweet itself, I get that in the context of what today represents, it was ill-timed, but this joke is basically a running gag seen on any "dolt husband/nagging wife" sitcom, and no one is ever up in arms about it. It's nothing like a white person joking about black people and fried chicken and that backlash that accompanies that, so I'm not sure how that's analogous here.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't disagree with any of that. If you are someone actually upset / offended at the things Colin is saying you have every single right to pull every cent from them.

I'm just going by reading the comments on Twitter where it seems like this is a massive fight in their community. People there seem really upset both ways. The conversation here is much more level headed. My comments about people being mad were based on the Twitter feed

I'm too scared to look at the twitter feed, lol

I would def encourage people frustrated with Colin to pull funding or unsubscribe or whatever. I don't watch their shit anymore after being a fan during the IGN days. You might think you'll miss them but you won't. There are plenty of people and sites doing the same stuff with their games coverage and they do it without being assholes.

Pull your funding, refuse to watch his content, but demanding a coerced apology is about the silliest thing imaginable. He's not a child. You're not going to teach him manners by suggesting he tuck his tail between his legs and pretend to be sorry for something. He'd only be doing it to protect his brand anyway.

As for the tweet itself, I get that in the context of what today represents, it was ill-timed, but this joke is basically a running gag seen on any "dolt husband/nagging wife" sitcom, and no one is ever up in arms about it. It's nothing like a white person joking about black people and fried chicken and that backlash that accompanies that, so I'm not sure how that's analogous here.
I don't know that anyone wants to coerce an apology out of him, we all kind of just wish he would be even minority introspective and give a sincere apology

And just because sexism is prevelant and more accepted in media doesn't mean it's not offensive

Fake outrage is the new fake news for the alt-right, it would seem.

Anyways, what's interesting is Greg and Tim being so publicly outspoken against Colin. Colin strikes me very much as the "take his ball and go home" type, I could see him leaving KF.

tuxfool

Banned
It all comes down to the community they want to build. If they want the kind of shitty people that Colin attracts with this then by all means do nothing. However if you ask me that stands in stark contrast to their stated intent.

Icolin

Banned

Anyways, what's interesting is Greg and Tim being so publicly outspoken against Colin. Colin strikes me very much as the "take his ball and go home" type, I could see him leaving KF.

Please no.

I would def encourage people frustrated with Colin to pull funding or unsubscribe or whatever. I don't watch their shit anymore after being a fan during the IGN days. You might think you'll miss them but you won't. There are plenty of people and sites doing the same stuff with their games coverage and they do it without being assholes.

Sometimes I wish Greg and Colin were still podcasting in that tiny room at IGN. Peer and Tal had them reined in for better or worse. Podcast Beyond from about episode 150 to the time they left IGN were the fuckin glory days.

Wedzi

Banned
It is if you happen to fall into that group that likes the things they like/are/relate to.
It isn't for anyone else and it made me stop listening I liked them over the years but a couple of weeks ago Colin made one too many insensitive "joke" for my tastes and after years of shrugging them away it just got too much. I don't need this shit of someone constantly making fun of the things I like or belittling the struggles I have just because he can't see it from his perspective which more often than not at least during the way he behaves in shows has been very lacking of empathy.
Which sucks cause I especially loved Tim as a truly positive force within Kinda Funny. Greg is a lot of great positive energy too but is influenced easily,
KF as a whole is def a place I would not label as inclusive or good vibes nor has it made me feel very welcome in recent memory. But dunno maybe it's also the contrast of now being more into a community that is actually in general welcoming, respectful and good vibes.

I should have specified WAS a place, or was created to be that way. I would agree that the loudest Kinda Funny fans seem to be the ones who mostly just stand up for Colin when he does shit like this and encourage him to continue. Honestly most major gaming outlets have pretty inclusive and liberal staff so it's not surprising to see Kinda Funny start to get some "free speech advocate" stranglers who feel belittled by those sites.

Zukkoyaki

Sometimes I wish Greg and Colin were still podcasting in that tiny room at IGN. Peer and Tal had them reined in for better or worse. Podcast Beyond from about episode 150 to the time they left IGN were the fuckin glory days.
Dude, Podcast Beyond during the Greg/Colin/Ryan and Greg/Colin/Ryan/Andrew days is in the upper echelon of greatest gaming podcasts EVER. Amazing chemistry between the hosts, varied views and opinions, and it was fun and funny. I haven't found a podcast that has resonated with me as much since.

Koopatrol

I could see this happening too. I hope it doesn't, though.

150 -> Ryan leaving. After that Beyond lost a lot of it's chemistry IMHO.

Mezoly

It all comes down to the community they want to build. If they want the kind of shitty people that Colin attracts with this then by all means do nothing. However if you ask me that stands in stark contrast to their stated intent.

Yeah his ideology with Greg's friendly community goal is coming to a big collusion. Colin staunchest fans are not nice people. Many of them are involved with harassment on twitter. Not sure what the next step for them. Btw I would bet Colin bring more than half Kind Funny fans. So him leaving would be a huge blow.

I wish Colin didn't resort to this tweet today as I was enjoying his conversation videos this week a lot.

Vinc

You'll have to give me examples of what you consider extreme reactioms, because in my experience in this thread it's mostly people saying that a guy who has recently said multiple shitty things said another shitty thing.

I get what you mean, I think he was going for a joke here and is not legitimately a complete sexist or anything, but I also think the context doesn't really matter in this situation. I would feel differently if this was the first dumb thing he's said like this, but it's not.

I don't want to call anyone out in particular, because I don't want to "shame" people for their opinion. It's their right to be offended. But I do see a lot of people calling him an actual sexist. I disagree that what he said makes him a sexist in any way. I just recognize that my own experiences shape my views, and that people with different experiences may feel this way, which is why I think intent is important. Trying to bully the guy into submission by publicly shaming him on twitter, however, is not the right way to go about it, in my view. Especially if they know him in real life, in which case they could simply message him privately.

Dude, Podcast Beyond during the Greg/Colin/Ryan and Greg/Colin/Ryan/Andrew days is in the upper echelon of greatest gaming podcasts EVER. Amazing chemistry between the hosts, varied views and opinions, and it was fun and funny. I haven't found a podcast that has resonated with me as much since.
The Beastcast has become the best gaming podcast for me. Very funny, great discussions as well

If Colin actually left KF it would be a huge blow both in terms of their viewers as well as the money they get from Patreon. I'm not sure it would be good for any of them involved for him to leave

Top Bottom