• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

notaxation

Neo Member
I wonder if they will push back next week's episode a day. Seems like a waste to have the episode go up as Sony's presser is happening. Would be weird listening to a PS podcast after the conference with no coverage coverage of the biggest PlayStation news in months.

Much like the Cylons, we have a plan. And I think you will like the plan.

Yes... I think you will very much like it.

So I don't agree with Colin about Platinum (or Greg for even wondering if they were ever great, what?) The only times their games have been less than stellar were when they were published by Activision. Strange coincidence. They are being spread too thin though.

I agree, I think pretty much everything they've done has been great, I actually really want to try out the Transformers game they made.
They might be doing a bit too much, but it seems like they always put out 2-3 games a year, so I think it's possible they can handle it. Can't wait for Nier!

Is it just me or do these guys actually not know much about Playstation and the studios? Like, they really think Evolution is making another Motorstorm? Sony has already said they will be working on content for Driveclub for the foreseeable future.

Their speculation not jiving with your piece of information + speculation regarding a single studio is pretty weak grounds for saying they not don't know much about PlayStation and all of the studios.

Loved the last episode as well, but as a long time GT fan there is no way in hell GT7 will be VR only, like Greg said a lot of us will spend some money on wheels and racing rigs, but it's for all the racing games and they're expensive enough with having to fork a price of a console for VR. zero chance it will happen.

phanphare

Banned
Is it just me or do these guys actually not know much about Playstation and the studios? Like, they really think Evolution is making another Motorstorm? Sony has already said they will be working on content for Driveclub for the foreseeable future.

I'm not saying it's just you

but I'm heavily implying it

;p

Their speculation not jiving with your piece of information + speculation regarding a single studio is pretty weak grounds for saying they not don't know much about PlayStation and all of the studios.
That was just one example I could recall off the top of my head. I guess what I'm saying is their stuff was 90% speculation, and in the Driveclub example actually counter to what Sony has said, but it seems to me they try to come across as having more information than we do which doesn't seem to be the case.

Glad you enjoyed it >:D

Airzoom23

Good episode and I have seen all four episodes. Greg is good but I like Colin a lot more simply because his gaming habits are similar to mine (prefers single player games, not into multi-player/co-op, hoping that The Division has a single play campaign (me too) and best of all, prefers Mad Max over MGSV).

Really hoping they get the woman from Sony Santa Monica (forgot her name) to talk about their cancelled game because at 70% completed, better off finishing and releasing it than cancelling it in my opinion.

Love Colin calling out Platinum Games and Telltale Games as I agree completely. Platinum is excellent but yeah, if they only have 200 or so employees, they're stretching themselves way too thin. Also agree with Colin about Housemarque. Played but wasn't into Super Stardust or Resogun but Dead Nation was excellent and Outland deserves a sequel. Hell, Outland was my own personal game of the year for 2011 beating out Uncharted 3 (which is one of the few things that I have disagreed with him on) and im anxiously awaiting Alienation.

Simply, an excellent PlayStation podcast every week and Gamescast is pretty damn good as well. I like the setup with Tim, Greg and Colin because it adds another opinion and perspective to that show. Just wish the Gamescast show was posted on Youtube as a whole earlier than Friday instead of just segments.

Game of the year conversation was pretty much expected on the Gamescast but for me, nothing is surpassing The Witcher 3 and Mad Max is my runner up.

Two excellent podcasts that are very well done, entertaining and informative. Keep up the excellent work guys. :)

P.S. - (no not that), im happy that the podcasts aren't just audio and that you guys are sitting there talking about games. For some reason, I can't listen to podcasts with just audio. It's weird but whatever.

Agree with all of this. I especially agree with Colin when he goes on about wanting to be LEFT ALONE while he's gaming. I find myself emphatically nodding my head, agreeing with him cause I've always been a solo gamer or single player campaign type gamer. I socialize enough during my day and pretend to like people at work and make excruciating small talk all day that I really just wanna be alone in my thoughts and absorbed into what is going on in the game.

Bookman

Damn, I just realized that I, sporadically in any case, listened to Greg Miller since 2007/2008? remember he joked about Alone in the Dark as an April Fool's joke or something like that and that game came out 2008. man Its like seven years! I may have to support kind of funny games, I did it before until I switched credit cards and could not be bothered to register the new.maby I own them money? Sure hope they can live on kind of funny..., is not sure Greg seems a bit thinner.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Mad Max was awful, in my opinion. Couldn't go past the first 2 hours, and getting to that was a chore even. If you're to compare the two for some odd reason, mainly because they came out on the same day perhaps, then I'd say MGS V runs circles around Mad Max any day.

I compared them because Mad Max is a far better game than what "critics" reviewed it (and that Polygon review of a 5/10 and then re-review of a 5.5/10 is a fucking joke, period). I have played far worse games that have received higher scores. I played 68 hours of MGSV, went through 13 or so missions, 20 or side ops and several of those other ops where you send the CPU AI out on missions and im sorry, MGSV is so highly overrated that it also becomes a joke.

There's nothing special about it. 1) it never should have went open world. 2) the cover system sucks which gets magnified by the fact that you're supposed to be playing this amazing (lol) stealth game. Can't do that if the cover system is crap. 3) the hidden stat of being a devil or whatever is ridiculous. Why is it hidden? 4) the story wasn't good and neither were the characters. And I hated Big Boss. Compared to Solid Snake character, it's not even close. 5) the game is basically what EVERYONE bashes Ubisoft (and Mad Max) for - a CHECKLIST. That's EXACTLY what it is. Just check the list one by one until you're done.

6) there's no reason whatsoever to waste your time clearing out outposts since the enemies just respawn when you go back there. 7) all the objectives are basically the same. Rescue this guy or that guy, kill this guy or that guy or blow this or that up. It's all the same. 8) the world is too empty and far more than Mad Max which is sad considering in Mad Max, it should be more empty but yet it's not. 9) Based on what I have read, Skull Face is severely under and misused. If true, what's the point of him being the main bad guy? Makes no sense. 10) All the side ops are basically just five or six different types with ten or so in each one. Sorry but all of this is fucking boring, repetitive and tedious as hell.

If I still had the game, I could probably write a book. Mad Max had excellent car combat and best since Twisted Metal 2. The melee was similar to Batman but more high impact like in The Last of Us. More forceful and brutal. Story was just okay and the end was rushed but compared to MGSV, it's kind of sad that if anything, Mad Max is actually better. Not by much but it is simply because it makes sense in the world that you're playing in.

Best of all, Mad Max is FUN as hell to play. Only reason it gets bashed is because it came out on the same day as that overhyped and overrated let's kiss Kojima's ass for the billionth time MGSV. Series should have ended with MGS3. Instead, it went two games (three if you want to count that PSP game) too long. In my opinion, it overstayed it's welcome. I'm not a fan of Konami but im happy that Kojima is done with MGS and to be fair, I hope it stays done 100%.

And visually, there's nothing impressive in MGSV. I still see pop-in and other problems. It looks good but The Witcher 3 blows it away and in most cases, especially storms (which are a joke in MGSV) Mad Max does as well.

MGSV is basically just another overhyped and overrated game that's being based on it's name and the guy who made it. Subtract that and the game gets lower scores than Mad Max guaranteed.

Back to why I compared them, it's because Mad Max scored lower reviews because of MGSV, not because it's a bad game. Of course, when you have a review boot camp and majority reviewing the game didn't even finish it, that in itself sums up what MGSV truly is - overhyped and overrated.

Sorry for the off topic discussion. Back on topic - Colin nails why Mad Max is excellent in one of the podcasts from several weeks ago. I honestly can't say it any better.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I compared them because Mad Max is a far better game than what "critics" reviewed it (and that Polygon review of a 5/10 and then re-review of a 5.5/10 is a fucking joke, period). I have played far worse games that have received higher scores. I played 68 hours of MGSV, went through 13 or so missions, 20 or side ops and several of those other ops where you send the CPU AI out on missions and im sorry, MGSV is so highly overrated that it also becomes a joke.

There's nothing special about it. 1) it never should have went open world. 2) the cover system sucks which gets magnified by the fact that you're supposed to be playing this amazing (lol) stealth game. Can't do that if the cover system is crap. 3) the hidden stat of being a devil or whatever is ridiculous. Why is it hidden? 4) the story wasn't good and neither were the characters. And I hated Big Boss. Compared to Solid Snake character, it's not even close. 5) the game is basically what EVERYONE bashes Ubisoft (and Mad Max) for - a CHECKLIST. That's EXACTLY what it is. Just check the list one by one until you're done.

6) there's no reason whatsoever to waste your time clearing out outposts since the enemies just respawn when you go back there. 7) all the objectives are basically the same. Rescue this guy or that guy, kill this guy or that guy or blow this or that up. It's all the same. 8) the world is too empty and far more than Mad Max which is sad considering in Mad Max, it should be more empty but yet it's not. 9) Based on what I have read, Skull Face is severely under and misused. If true, what's the point of him being the main bad guy? Makes no sense. 10) All the side ops are basically just five or six different types with ten or so in each one. Sorry but all of this is fucking boring, repetitive and tedious as hell.

If I still had the game, I could probably write a book. Mad Max had excellent car combat and best since Twisted Metal 2. The melee was similar to Batman but more high impact like in The Last of Us. More forceful and brutal. Story was just okay and the end was rushed but compared to MGSV, it's kind of sad that if anything, Mad Max is actually better. Not by much but it is simply because it makes sense in the world that you're playing in.

Best of all, Mad Max is FUN as hell to play. Only reason it gets bashed is because it came out on the same day as that overhyped and overrated let's kiss Kojima's ass for the billionth time MGSV. Series should have ended with MGS3. Instead, it went two games (three if you want to count that PSP game) too long. In my opinion, it overstayed it's welcome. I'm not a fan of Konami but im happy that Kojima is done with MGS and to be fair, I hope it stays done 100%.

And visually, there's nothing impressive in MGSV. I still see pop-in and other problems. It looks good but The Witcher 3 blows it away and in most cases, especially storms (which are a joke in MGSV) Mad Max does as well.

MGSV is basically just another overhyped and overrated game that's being based on it's name and the guy who made it. Subtract that and the game gets lower scores than Mad Max guaranteed.

Back to why I compared them, it's because Mad Max scored lower reviews because of MGSV, not because it's a bad game. Of course, when you have a review boot camp and majority reviewing the game didn't even finish it, that in itself sums up what MGSV truly is - overhyped and overrated.

Sorry for the off topic discussion. Back on topic - Colin nails why Mad Max is excellent in one of the podcasts from several weeks ago. I honestly can't say it any better.

So....you played 13 main missions in MGS V, didn't finish it, and yet you're commenting on the story and characters? There goes your credibility.

Also, looks like you have something personal against the series, judging from your comments.

Anyway. Opinions.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
So....you played 13 main missions in MGS V, didn't finish it, and yet you're commenting on the story and characters? There goes your credibility.

Also, looks like you have something personal against the series, judging from your comments.

Anyway. Opinions.

I commented on the story and characters because I have read a lot about it in the MGSV topic and the majority say that the story gets worse as the game goes on. As for the characters, that's more of a personal preference. I don't like the Big Boss character and yeah, it's stupid but I hate the horn, eye patch and prosthetic arm. Yeah, it's stupid but just not for me.

As for having something personal against the series, yes and no. MGS on PS one was a fucking classic, 9.8/10 for me personally and one of the two games that made me buy a PS one (RE was the other). Seriously, I loved that game. Pure classic. Played MGS 2 at launch and I loved the ship. Game went downhill for me personally after that. I hated Raiden and just had no interest whatsoever. Simply didn't care plus the story got so fucked up by the end, I was completely turned off. I did complete it because I remember the last boss fight being a sword fight where you had to use the two analog sticks.

Played MGS 3 but just wasn't into it. I know it's a classic and better than MGS 2 but after MGS 2, I completely lost interest and wasn't into it. Played MGS 4 and quit very quickly simply because I was in the middle of a war zone and I was like, not for me.

As for MGS V, I played it FAR LONGER than MGS 3 and MGS 4 combined and while there's a lot of good stuff in the game and stuff I actually do like, it's not the be all end all of gaming. From what I played, I would say for me personally, it's an 8/10 at best. Will never surpass Mad Max for me because I had the most fun in Mad Max than any of the eighteen games I completed this generation.

Simply, I know MGS V is a good game but it's not a classic like the original was to me and I just see so much in the game that gets a pass yet is bashed in other games (like Mad Max and Ubisoft games) and that pisses me off simply because if it wasn't for it being MGS and being developed by Kojima, would it still get a pass? That's my main problem. I just think that MGS V is overhyped and overrated especially when compared to the original PS one.

In the end, to each their own.

Heard them announce on their daily stream they're doing two episodes tomorrow. One releasing at the usual time, before the conference, and one sometime after it.

Hype! Can't wait to listen to their reactions.

Vinc

Heard them announce on their daily stream they're doing two episodes tomorrow. One releasing at the usual time, before the conference, and one sometime after it.

Jesus that's even better than expected.

Much, much hype.

Edit: Wait, just read a few comments up... I don't know who says MGSV's story gets worse as it goes on, but that's crazy talk. I was SO disappointed in the story until about mission 21, that's around the time it got good, and then it was a hell of a ride until the abrupt end.

Vinc

Oh hey, they dropped the prayer!

I didn't have any problems with it, but I think some people made fair points against it on their own forums. I'm ok with it being dropped. On another note, I still wish we had something to replace "BEYOND!" so we all have something easy to yell at them if we meet the KF team :p. Now that I think of it though, I feel like "A BAKER'S DOZEN" works pretty well.

I was just wondering what they were going to do, and beyond as well.

This is awesome news. I'm really glad these dudes are back. I never got into kinda funny because I just want to listen to them talk about games, and I love the Beyond! format. Excited for tomorrow.

Shenmue

Banned
I didn't have any problems with it, but I think some people made fair points against it on their own forums. I'm ok with it being dropped. On another note, I still wish we had something to replace "BEYOND!" so we all have something easy to yell at them if we meet the KF team :p. Now that I think of it though, I feel like "A BAKER'S DOZEN" works pretty well.

How about I LOVE YOU!?

So wait, I'm at work now so I can't check. Their show usually goes up at 12EST, and it's about 2hrs long. Isn't the Sony Conference also at 12EST, or am I getting my times wrong? I'd love to be able to watch the conference as it airs, but I'd love to hear their thoughts before and after it

Fjordson

Last episode was great. I didn't even know about / remember some of the studios they talked about.

Colin was on a roll the whole time dropping knowledge. Could listen to him on a podcast all day.

I wonder if they will consider them to be one episode with two parts, two distinct episodes (as in one is Episode 5 and the other is Episode 6), or if will it be one episode (Episode 5) and a special "stand-alone" episode.

notaxation

Neo Member
I wonder if they will consider them to be one episode with two parts, two distinct episodes (as in one is Episode 5 and the other is Episode 6), or if will it be one episode (Episode 5) and a special "stand-alone" episode.

As far as I know, it'll be Episode 5 and Episode 6, though I don't think Episode 6 will be as "robust" an episode (i.e. no games list [obviously], no sick PSN name, maybe no reader mail, et cetera).

The episode we just recorded (5) should be about an hour and 45 minutes, and it's a full, "normal" episode.

As far as I know, it'll be Episode 5 and Episode 6, though I don't think Episode 6 will be as "robust" an episode (i.e. no games list [obviously], no sick PSN name, maybe no reader mail, et cetera).

The episode we just recorded (5) should be about an hour and 45 minutes, and it's a full, "normal" episode.

Okay. Thanks. That will help when I link to them on the front page of this thread.

So wait, I'm at work now so I can't check. Their show usually goes up at 12EST, and it's about 2hrs long. Isn't the Sony Conference also at 12EST, or am I getting my times wrong? I'd love to be able to watch the conference as it airs, but I'd love to hear their thoughts before and after it
Yeah it would be nice if we got 5 at like 7:00am PST so we could listen before the show. It would be a nice segue to PGW.

Wagram

Yeah it would be nice if we got 5 at like 7:00am PST so we could listen before the show. It would be a nice segue to PGW.

Yeah i'm hoping for this as well. If it uploads at 9 pst it will not be possible to watch it before the conference. I like their prediction wars.

Just an FYI, if anyone watched Colin and Greg earlier today you'd already know this, but, if you live outside of America just double check the times for everything. In America we don't end Daylight Saving Time until Sunday, November 2nd. However, England has already done so, so Colin and Greg Live for instance, started an hour early today for them. I would hate for someone to start watching the conference an hour in.

Portugeezer

Just an FYI, if anyone watched Colin and Greg earlier today you'd already know this, but, if you live outside of America just double check the times for everything. In America we don't end Daylight Saving Time until Sunday, November 2nd. However, England has already done so, so Colin and Greg Live for instance, started an hour early today for them. I would hate for someone to start watching the conference an hour in.

Just go by this:

t1445964300z0.png

Should be fine.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I seriously don't get Colin at times.

PS2 had the weakest library? Come on, now. Get real.

DMC 1,3
GoW 1,2
GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Bully
Onimusha 1,2,3,4
Shadow of Rome
Okami
RE4 (Admited it came out on GC too, but still)
Psi Ops
MK: Deadly Alliance, Deception
All the Smackdown games
Guilty Gear X2
Tekken Tag Tournament
FF X, XII

METAL GEAR FUCKING SOLID 2 AND 3!

KalBalboa

Banned

DMC 1,3
GoW 1,2
Onimusha 1,2,3,4
Shadow of Rome
Okami
Psi Ops
All the Smackdown games
Guilty Gear X2
Tekken Tag Tournament
FF X, XII

PS2 launched with SSX, TimeSplitters, and Tekken Tag, too. There's a real false narrative about the PS2's library/launch in general.

Unearthing this beast:

notaxation

Neo Member
I felt like Colin was trolling when he said PS2 had the weakest library of Sony systems.

I wasn't. Compared to PSone, PS3, and the potential of PS4 (which is unwritten, but obviously very good right now), PS2 is my least favorite.

It's like picking your least favorite kid. Sure, shitty little Tommy is your least favorite, but you still love him.

meanspartan

I wasn't. Compared to PSone, PS3, and the potential of PS4 (which is unwritten, but obviously very good right now), PS2 is my least favorite.

It's like picking your least favorite kid. Sure, shitty little Tommy is your least favorite, but you still love him.

Colin, I love you despite you making me yell like a crazy person at no one in particular when I disagree with your wrong opinions (mine are fact) as I am stuck in traffic during my commute home.

And yes, you are playing Witcher 3 wrong.

And yes, you do need to play MGSV like yesterday.

And no, Dying Light does not even belong in the game of the year conversation.

And no, Bernie Sanders' plan will not cost 17 trillion dollars or whatever number the WSJ made up by not accounting for the stupid amount that we are paying anyway for healthcare (and quit brain washing poor Tim and Nick into becoming your little libertarian proteges).....

Ok....glad I got that off my chest.

New PS I love You up? My blood pressure is too low :p

meanspartan

DMC 1,3
GoW 1,2
Onimusha 1,2,3,4
Shadow of Rome
Okami
Psi Ops
All the Smackdown games
Guilty Gear X2
Tekken Tag Tournament
FF X, XII

Ya...it's hard to see how Ps3 even competes, especially if you go by just exclusives. Ps2 I think still clearly tops Ps1, but I can see how someone who places a lot of value on JRPGs would consider PS1 better.

sora87

PS1 and PS2 are king of the JRPGs, that's why they both have the best libraries.
Here's hoping PS4 can match those lofty heights.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ya...it's hard to see how Ps3 even competes, especially if you go by just exclusives. Ps2 I think still clearly tops Ps1, but I can see how someone who places a lot of value on JRPGs would consider PS1 better.

PS3 has a great library, but it can never compete with PS1 and PS2 in that regard.

Top Bottom