• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Servbot24

Banned
Someone please, please tell me this is a joke.

I'm going to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume you've been programmed to think silencing people who disagree with you is a reasonable response. Because I'm an idealist, and I'd rather believe you're too sensitive to handle ideas that challenge your own, than the possibility that you might not have the critical reasoning faculty to differentiate between real and entirely imagined sexism. I know this forum has collectively lost its grip on reality, but if things are that bad, then we have far, far bigger problems than campus boycotts and outrage culture.

This is how intellectualism dies on the Left - not with a bang but with a hashtag.

No one is telling him to be quiet. People are telling him he's insensitive and he needs to start thinking about the fact that the things he says can affect other people. People have every right to say that. Sorry if that offends you, but you don't get to tell them to shut up.

Roufianos

Eesh. Can't believe how big a deal this has become. I saw the tweet and didn't think anything of it.

Took it more as a way of him enjoying the day to himself as opposed to sexism. Colin's humour clearly consists of a certain amount of shock value as seen by all his dick jokes.

If he was a known misogynist then he'd deserve all of this. To me it just seems like a poorly executed dad joke without any real meaning.

Eesh. Can't believe how big a deal this has become. I saw the tweet and didn't think anything of it.

Took it more as a way of him enjoying the day to himself as opposed to sexism. Colin's humour clearly consists of a certain amount of shock value as seen by all his dick jokes.

If he was a known misogynist then he'd deserve all of this. To me it just seems like a poorly executed dad joke without any real meaning.

You and Bolivar really need to read the thread, both of these points have been addressed a number of times.

I'm going to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume you've been programmed to think silencing people who disagree with you is a reasonable response. Because I'm an idealist, and I'd rather believe you're too sensitive to handle ideas that challenge your own, than the possibility that you might not have the critical reasoning faculty to differentiate between real and entirely imagined sexism. I know this forum has collectively lost its grip on reality, but if things are that bad, then we have far, far bigger problems than campus boycotts and outrage culture.

This is how intellectualism dies on the Left - not with a bang but with a hashtag.
Disagreement is believing in a flat tax versus a progressive tax. Not being a decent person versus being purposefully antagonistic.

Bladelaw

I've been a lurker here for a while, others have said what I'd like to better but the thing that strikes me the most about this, this isn't an isolated incident, that's why the "it's just a joke" argument falls flat. His response to criticism, the "humorless sacks of shit" comment is the real bullshit. Any time I see a Colin Controversy pop up (PS4Pro, the election, this one) I keep going back to what appeared to be as sincere an apology Colin will write. You could have copy pasted it for use yesterday/today.

The last line is really telling:
This is becoming a pattern, and I should probably do something about it. So, I will.

Not sure I'd say much has changed.

alemmon

yeah, my PS4 backlog is pretty crazy, I just stopped buying games until I'm ready to play them. I think Horizon is the only Platinum I'm going to go for, just going to complete TLG, Yakuza 0 and Nioh, maybe I'll get the plat in Gravity Rush 2 as well, and still have to go back to Grand Kingdom and Dragon Quest Builders.

I really should hold off on the Switch too, but I want something to game on my slow days at work, and get my daughter into gaming with something she can easily pick up like Mario Kart.

Grand Kingdom has been on my watch list for soooo long! But yeah I have kind of given up on platinum trophies. I just want to play the game. Enjoy it and get as many trophies as I can. I still want Nioh and Gravity Rush 2 as well.... Way too many games and so little time.

My daughter is too young for games but man... I am going to love it when she can play Mario Kart with me!

Either you did not read anything in this thread or you are trying to hard to get a tag.

I don't think anyone is accusing him of being sexist. The "joke" isn't even that bad. We've all said or laughed at much worse, and nothing should be out of bounds when it comes to humour. But I don't think that's the point in this case.

The most salient point (that many in this thread have already made) is that he knew exactly what he was doing with his tweet. He sought to purposefully provoke a specific audience, which he knew full-well would garner some sort of reaction, to then prove some sort of point that everyone is overly 'touchy' or 'sensitive' or whatever.

Colin's a smart guy, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Who will stand up for the right of a blowhard gaming personality to make shitty jokes?

Zukkoyaki

Holy shit. I knew the community had been growing less friendly and more hostile to outsiders/criticism for awhile but this is nuts. It barely resembles what it was just two years ago. I hadn't realized how much it has come to resemble the type of crowd that defends GamerGate and neo-nazis who get banned from Twitter. Guess I should have seen the writing on the wall last year when he was a complete ass to Andrea Rene and the comments hardcore backed him, calling her stupid and such.

alemmon

I think I'm just reserving myself to the fact that some of these games aren't getting played til late in the year or maybe even next year.

Yeah... I know. I have it in my mind that I really want to support some of these games on release even though I know it will be awhile until I get to them. I really want to support the Japanese support that the PS4 is getting because I want them to know that it is appreciated. Especially Dragon Quest Heroes 2, I want Dragon Quest to be a thing in the west and supporting it is the best way I know how (even though its going to be awhile unitl I get around to it).

Colin is CONSTANTLY trying to silence people who disagree with him. Just listen to PSILY this week. That is his thing. "If you disagree with me, you're an idiot and should shut up". Now that this applies to his feelings about women as well, which again he plainly said this week that "we don't need to stand up for women because they can stand up for themselves". It's not only sexist to think that men should only be looking out for other men, but it also tries to silence people who feel that they have a right as human beings to stand up for other human beings.

It's not this "joke" that people are upset with, it's the pattern of behavior that is completely toxic to building a positive community.

Jakoo

I don't think anyone is accusing him of being sexist. The "joke" isn't even that bad. We've all said or laughed at much worse, and nothing should be out of bounds when it comes to humour. But I don't think that's the point in this case.

The most salient point (that many in this thread have already made) is that he knew exactly what he was doing with his tweet. He sought to purposefully provoke a specific audience, which he knew full-well would garner some sort of reaction, to then prove some sort of point that everyone is overly 'touchy' or 'sensitive' or whatever.

Colin's a smart guy, he knew exactly what he was doing.

And I think that's what annoys me about it. Again, I wasn't offended by the comment, but I am annoyed at how disrespectful it was to the other dudes on Kinda Funny where he seems to care more about his "free speech" then the brand they are trying to cultivate.

If Colin wants to become a cynical, grizzled George Carlin-style social commentator, good on him, and I am sure he will find an audience for it. But that is not the mission of Kinda Funny, a small business he started with his friends that he is undermining with antics like this

Icolin

Banned
Ooof. Kinda Funny is usually such a positive space. Weird to see this happening. I love Colin and will continue to religiously watch Colin Was Right, but that was a bad call. Oh well. Life goes on.

This. Disappointed in the community for this kind of stuff.

br3wnor

As much as I think this thread shits on Colin too much, he's starting to reach a tipping point where could start to hurt Kinda Funny overall if he doesn't stop this 'edgy' bullshit. If developers or other industry insiders decide that being associated with Colin isn't worth the blow back then they're going to stop interacting w/ the KF brand, and this could slowly erode their influence and eventually, subscriber base. Not to mention the various sponsors they have and also association w/ Rooster Teeth.

Now if it ever gets to that, I don't know. But not many people are watching KF content for Colin's political or social commentary, some of us just deal with it because we really enjoy his industry insight, acumen and historical perspective. As much as Colin thinks he's bulletproof, if he ultimately makes KF too toxic a brand to associate with, it will spell doom for all 4 of them. Hopefully he realizes this before too much damage is done.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Well, Kinda Funny comment sections are now like every other gaming channel on YouTube.

Hope your free speech was worth poisoning your own well, Colin.

And I think that's what annoys me about it. Again, I wasn't offended by the comment, but I am annoyed at how disrespectful it was to the other dudes on Kinda Funny where he seems to care more about his "free speech" then the brand they are trying to cultivate.

If Colin wants to become a cynical, grizzled George Carlin-style social commentator, good on him, and I am sure he will find an audience for it. But that is not the mission of Kinda Funny, a small business he started with his friends that he is undermining with antics like this

This is an interesting point. I think what works well about Kinda Funny is how different the 4 of them are. They have a common interest, sure, but the range of different opinions, whether it's to do with gaming or politics, is a good thing.

Colin's tweet is one of the, thankfully, rarer instances with KF where that difference in opinion is - judging by the reactions on here and Twitter - doing more harm than it is good.

#IStandWithColin is absolutely fucking hilarious because the same type of people that are posting that shit are the ones that blast liberals for their "slactivism." On top of that, no one is attacking Colin or calling for his resignation or anything like that. People are criticizing him. Looking through the many, many replies to his awful tweet, it's hard to find very many negative tweets towards him at all. It's mostly his fans slobbering over how "edgy" he is.

What a twisted worldview.

#IStandWithColin is absolutely fucking hilarious because the same type of people that are posting that shit are the ones that blast liberals for their "slactivism." On top of that, no one is attacking Colin or calling for his resignation or anything like that. People are criticizing him. Looking through the many, many replies to his awful tweet, it's hard to find very many negative tweets towards him at all. It's mostly his fans slobbering over how "edgy" he is.

The fact that they don't see the blatant irony in whining about whiners, and acting as overreactive and oversensitive as the people they claim to despise, is mind numbing.

Icolin

Banned

Yep, it's really ridiculous, like this whole situation.

Hopefully Colin and the guys can sort this out on the Morning Show come Monday.

LiK

uh, is this real? It's like a parody now.

Visceir

Multiple people in this thread have expressed that they would like to see Colin gone or hoping game developers/games media cut off their relationships with KF.

I see nothing wrong with the KF community, the ones who actually are patreons and watch their videos, expressing where they stand on the issue, this seems to be a simple and easy way to do it.

Icolin

Banned
uh, is this real? It's like a parody now.

It's absolutely real.

C6eb9HxWYAAkF-N.jpg

Icolin

Banned
The type of people defending him says a lot about him.

I'm prone to defending Colin a lot of the time, but how delusional do you have to be to defend what he did?

I have no problem with the joke itself, it's the intent that pisses me off. Colin knew exactly what he was doing, and now he's ruined KF and his reputation among the gaming industry.

XandBosch

I wonder how many of Colin's twitter follower "hail colin" "I stand with Colin M" fans are also frequents of the red pill subreddit. Can't blame Tim for saying what he said, in fact I applaud him for it. I'm a Kinda Funny fan, and I'm not a thin-skinned guy whatsoever, but it's Colin's frequent hypocrisy and bullshit that did him over yesterday. Anyone who can't see that is delusional. This "I stand with Colin M" thing is fucking ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.

Makes me not feel like I'm part of that community, whatsoever.

Multiple people in this thread have expressed that they would like to see Colin gone or hoping game developers/games media cut off their relationships with KF.

I see nothing wrong with the KF community, the ones who actually are patreons and watch their videos, expressing where they stand on the issue, this seems to be a simple and easy way to do it.

I think it is referring to specifically to the portion of the Colin/KF fanbase (and there's a lot of them, have a look at his twitter)who whine endlessly about SJWs and slactivism and PC culture and outrage culture and then, when things don't go their way, resort to the same kind of shit they are supposedly up in arms about. Is whining about a gaming personality getting some heat on social media really any more noble or important of a platform than whining about a bad, sexist joke? It's a group of ignorant fools who lack any sort of self awareness or empathy, and it's no coincidence they flock to a person like Colin.

Omerta

I like Colin Moriarty's work... I enjoy him on podcasts, I think he's talented but I also think he's a twat.

I don't need to like him as a person to enjoy his writing, podcasts or video content. There's plenty of actors, writers, musicians, game developers and whatever else you can think of that are douchbags who make great content.

For me, the problem is not necessarily what he said (because he's a twat and we know this) but the reaction of hi twitter legion... this stuff scares me.

hawk2025

Like clockwork -- say stupid thing, lash out at backlash, play the persecuted victim, attract the deplorables.

Everyone called this out yesterday.

Visceir

I think it is referring to specifically to the portion of the Colin/KF fanbase (and there's a lot of them, have a look at his twitter)who whine endlessly about SJWs and slactivism and PC culture and outrage culture and then, when things don't go their way, resort to the same kind of shit they are supposedly up in arms about. Is whining about a gaming personality getting some heat on social media really any more noble or important of a platform than whining about a bad, sexist joke? It's a group of ignorant fools who lack any sort of self awareness or empathy, and it's no coincidence they flock to a person like Colin.

Ah, I don't really use twitter. The comments on youtube videos were just hashtags of support or comments of support for Colin. Seemed to be all positive and support for him rather than attacks on someone else.

krae_man

Appreciate the link but can't watch it right now, if you can recall the conversation, could you summarise in one sentence maybe? I was just curious about what Colin and Aisha disagreed on.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. People asked for the link and now nobody wants to actually listen to it:lol

I'm prone to defending Colin a lot of the time, but how delusional do you have to be to defend what he did?

You know it's a lot like the whole Trump situation. When he was just a tv and billionaire mogul and would occasionally say something people didn't really give him much trouble over it. But eventually when the poor decisions, actions, and speech become a regular thing and people find themselves having to defend the person all the time? That's when i find it incredulous that people aren't more introspective and questioning themselves about whether the person's actions are even worth defending.

XandBosch

I like Colin Moriarty's work... I enjoy him on podcasts, I think he's talented but I also think he's a twat.

I don't need to like him as a person to enjoy his writing, podcasts or video content. There's plenty of actors, writers, musicians, game developers and whatever else you can think of that are douchbags who make great content.

For me, the problem is not necessarily what he said (because he's a twat and we know this) but the reaction of hi twitter legion... this stuff scares me.

Yup.

Elephant

Neo Member
Regardless of the circumstances I think it's cool that the video game community has these political conversations. There's a lot of engagement and reasoning behind a lot of the posts in this thread, that don't resort to name calling or a feeling of superiority, whilst offering different views, opinions and perspectives.

Whatever you think about Colin, his controversial outspokenness does generate discussion which can be very healthy in the right environment (not Twitter!).

I'm off to talk about video games, it's been a hell of a ride. See you next week when Colin makes a tweet about all us Brits having bad teeth, or something. I'm fuming just thinking about it!

Top Bottom