• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

DorkyMohr

Banned
Often whenever I hear that there's some controversy over someone prominent making a joke, it's almost always the case that the person has vehemently dug in their heels and starts moaning about free speech, offended snowflakes, etc. Yeah, making an off color joke doesn't make you a monster. It's when you fight tooth and nail to prove you were in the right to do so, then you're an asshole.

Fuck this guy.

Ah so it looks like Colin's diehard fans are going through the trouble of making GAF accounts now to defend his honor. Celebrity worship is an odd thing.

Who knows if Colin reads this thread but I wonder if people like the poster just now are really who he wants and feels proud of supporting him.

Curufinwe

If you're a man, maybe think how a woman feels looking at it. And how it feels to be treated like that all the time. It's reinforcing "a woman's place" and it's not funny. Sometimes it still feels like the 1950s.

If Colin was on a podcast and said his gf was going out of town, and then joked he was looking forward to a little peace and quiet no one would give a fuck.

Tweeting the same sentiment about women in general with that hashtag is not the same thing.

Juniors. 35 posts in two years, it's obviously someone's alt-account.

I'll say this, there is no room for debate on social issues. Human rights are universal. The difference between conservative and liberal should solely be economic and fiscal. Oh and foreign policy.

XandBosch

I think the people that think this is just about the simple joke aren't that familiar with KF and Colin in particular lol.

The fact is, this shit has been happening more and more (antagonistic attitude, hypocrisy, claiming to be a good guy but acting like a piece of shit, etc.) and it wasn't really the initial tweet that made him look like an asshole (although including that hashtag did him no favours) it was his follow-up tweet that was basically stomping the boot on anyone who might've been offended while they were down.

Thing is, Colin's apparent hardcore fans and the rest of the KF fans don't seem to be quite the same breed, but there's obviously an overlap. While his creepy, "Hail Colin" fanboys might enjoy his weird sense of humour, there are a lot of KF fans who might not.

Part of me wants to make an insensitive, unfunny joke about 9/11 on that day this year to Colin and see how he responds. But, I wouldn't sink that low. "Oh but that's different, he has a personal relation to that" - so? I wonder how many people follow Colin who recently had a female family member pass away or something?

insanexer

Enjoy going gray.
The Tolerant left of neogaf strike again. If you don't agree or conform, you get banned. Especially something based on political beliefs other than the consensus on neogaf.

I don't post on here a lot anyways. I will continue lurking and standing with guys like Colin.

TankRizzo

Banned
This whole thing is a witch hunt against Colin and the Politically Correct police. The gaming community is overwhelmingly liberal and I have heard posts on here claiming that Colin should "shut up about his political beliefs." Oh, so now only liberal beliefs are welcomed in the gaming community? So the other half of the country who doesn't identify with liberal, feminists, what have you are somehow irrelevant and crazy-persons?

Dude made a Joke and we have heard far worse on their podcasts and no one made a stink about it when it comes from Greg or Tim because they don't share Colin's political stance. Feminism is not about equality anymore, it is about man hating and women are leaving the feminist party in droves.

Here are some stats for you.53% of Americans – both men and women – reject the feminist label, while 26% say they are feminists. Among only women, 32% say they are feminists, while 45% reject the label. Of the men surveyed, 19% said they are feminists, while 61% say they are not.

I am sure if some people had their way on here every game character would be an adopted black transgender orphan from Bali with a lesbian lover who used to be a man.

Continue on with your witch hunt against Colin... seems to work everywhere else in the U.S. when you attack conservatives. They just end up winning elections.
I have no words for this.

Bacon

The Tolerant left of neogaf strike again. If you don't agree or conform, you get banned. Especially something based on political beliefs other than the consensus on neogaf.

I don't post on here a lot anyways. I will continue lurking and standing with guys like Colin.

This has nothing to do with agreeing or conforming but keep up with that persecution complex it looks great on you.

sasliquid

Here are some stats for you.53% of Americans – both men and women – reject the feminist label, while 26% say they are feminists. Among only women, 32% say they are feminists, while 45% reject the label. Of the men surveyed, 19% said they are feminists, while 61% say they are not.

Not gonna comment on the rest of the nonsense you just spewed but to focus on this point, the majority of Americans also don't believe in anthropogenic climate change.

Maybe people are just not educated enough?

This whole thing is a witch hunt against Colin and the Politically Correct police. The gaming community is overwhelmingly liberal and I have heard posts on here claiming that Colin should "shut up about his political beliefs." Oh, so now only liberal beliefs are welcomed in the gaming community? So the other half of the country who doesn't identify with liberal, feminists, what have you are somehow irrelevant and crazy-persons?

Dude made a Joke and we have heard far worse on their podcasts and no one made a stink about it when it comes from Greg or Tim because they don't share Colin's political stance. Feminism is not about equality anymore, it is about man hating and women are leaving the feminist party in droves.

I am sure if some people had their way on here every game character would be an adopted black transgender orphan from Bali with a lesbian lover who used to be a man.

Continue on with your witch hunt against Colin... seems to work everywhere else in the U.S. when you attack conservatives. They just end up winning elections.

Bye.

TankRizzo

Banned
Juniors. 35 posts in two years, it's obviously someone's alt-account.

I'll say this, there is no room for debate on social issues. Human rights are universal. The difference between conservative and liberal should solely be economic and fiscal.

don't do that.

Yet people who didn't find it funny are humorless shitbags? That honestly my gripe about this thing. Colin and his fans say that liberals call all these people names and goes on himself and does it.

Everyone responding to you has been far more tolerant than the garbage you just spewed in that post.

Maligna

Banned
As I mentioned earlier, I am curious about this as I am a fan of AT, but can't listen right now. Could you give me maybe a 1 or 2 sentence summary of the conversation?

Wish I could. I can't remember most of it now, just know I enjoyed it.

He was basically explaining his whole politics and she was questioning him on each point.

Jotaka

Here are some stats for you.

Here a stats for you. He posted in the twitter and he has a international reach... The INTERNATIONAL Women's Day has different meaning to the rest of the world.

guXtyvg.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned

Say dumb shit and get banned. If only more places exercised this. Buh buh freedom of speech!

Parachute

Neo Member

The man behind the 'I stand with Colin' Twitter found the thread bois

SummitAve

Banned

It's this perceived witch hunt and the resulting defense against it that has people concerned. People called out a bad joke for being bad, and you are taking out your pitchfork to go after feminism. What the fuck is going on there?

insanexer

Yet people who didn't find it funny are humorless shitbags? That honestly my gripe about this thing. Colin and his fans say that liberals call all these people names and goes on himself and does it.
Sure, but again, the majority on here are liberal and view Colin as this smart, but crazy guy with differing political views. There has to be a balance. Everything is on a spectrum.

I was going to comment on it but I didn't want to have to quote it. That line alone is disappointing, the rest is unfortunate. But for the bolded, I say sure, if the story calls for it.
Yeah I have no problem at all with anything like that, I just can't believe someone would think saying that is a good idea.

I mean, people like that criticise the left for apparently wanting every character to be some liberal poster child yet it's those same complainers who can't take one diverse character in a game apparently.

Grow the fuck up and take a look at what hypocrites you are.

APF

If you make a dumb edgelord joke as a transparent troll, ok whatever you're just being an asshole. But then screaming at people who don't find that dumb joke funny for not finding a dumb joke funny, that's when you no longer can hide behind the "oh I'm just trolling" or "oh I'm just making a joke" shit. That's when it's obvious you're being a genuine crap person who deserves to be called-out.

I've voted "liberal" for as long as I can remember.

I'm a feminist by denotation.

I have two sisters whom I expect to be treated fairly and equal.

A wife who I love and respect.

I also found Colin's joke funny. Nothing is off limit in humor unless you're a crybaby. (Especially since anyone who "knows" Colin knows that he isn't sexist. There are literally hundreds of hours of him sharing his views on virtually every subject. That is why the joke is funny. It's so obviously NOT what he thinks. The absurdity of it is the joke.)

Jerm411

go-away.gif

insanexer

Yeah I have no problem at all with anything like that, I just can't believe someone would think saying that is a good idea.

I mean, people like that criticise the left for apparently wanting every character to be some liberal poster child yet it's those same complainers who can't take one diverse character in a game apparently.

Grow the fuck up and take a look at what hypocrites you are.

I have no problem with diverse characters in games. I have every console and play just about everything. I do have a problem with demonizing someone over something said meant to be a joke. Boycotting KF because of a TWEET from Colin? Give me a break.

I have no problem with diverse characters in games. I have every console and play just about everything. I do have a problem with demonizing someone over something said meant to be a joke. Boycotting KF because of a TWEET from Colin? Give me a break.

You claim to be a fan of Colin but you think everyone's worked up over one tweet like that's all he's ever done?

killroy87

Yeesh.

Hope you weren't planning on staying around long.

Jakoo

I understand the point you're making, but I have smirk at the mere conceit that he can be compared to George Carlin.

George Carlin is obviously a legendary comedian and Colin is far from it, but I think their viewpoints on this matter are absolutely comparable.

George Carlin completely stood against political correctness in all forms and Colin was trying to be anti-PC (read: edgy) with his joke. The comparison makes sense to me?

insanexer

You claim to be a fan of Colin but you think everyone's worked up over one tweet like that's all he's ever done?
This EXACTLY is my problem with statements like these. "All he has ever done." Meaning what? He made controversial non PC comments because that's what he believes and you don't? Who is tolerant now? I find it funny that he's attacked for being conservative but then praised for his brilliance. Like he is some mad scientist.

hawk2025

As always:

Stupid comment -> backlash -> play the victim

Like. Clockwork.

meanspartan

You don't have to agree or conform. Just don't be a dick.

Nairume

Banned
A stupid comment or a belief that isn't shared with the GAF or gaming community at large. Yes, I'm one of those crazy conservatives like Colin. Time to ban and boycott!
It's not a matter of people wanting you to conform. When you say shit like

am sure if some people had their way on here every game character would be an adopted black transgender orphan from Bali with a lesbian lover who used to be a man.

You aren't being a brave voice giving light to a stance not commonly accepted here. You're just being an asshole.

PEOPLE AREN'T BOYCOTTING HIM FOR THE JOKE ALONE!

Colin has progressively become more and more antagonistic, to the point where it's clear he will shit post just to attack liberals then cry about being a victim. He also refuses to see things from others perspectives and constantly plays the victim if anyone dares bring up cultural biases that are involved.

It's funny because for all the accusations I see about the left attacking Colin or them being ignorant snowflakes, it's his defenders and himself that are the ones constantly doing that themselves. Not once have I seen a well written, educated and evidence based argument in Colins defence in these situations. It's always projection after projection with the occasional sexist or racist slip up involved.

A stupid comment or a belief that isn't shared with the GAF or gaming community at large. Yes, I'm one of those crazy conservatives like Colin. Time to ban and boycott!

Why do conservatives think that free speech only applies to them?

He has every right to say the things he says, just as we have a right to call him out on it.

Parachute

Neo Member
George Carlin is obviously a legendary comedian and Colin is far from it, but I think their viewpoints on this matter are absolutely comparable.

George Carlin completely stood against political correctness in all forms and Colin was trying to be anti-PC (read: edgy) with his joke. The comparison makes sense to me?

This is somehow a worse take than the dude who in the year of our Luigi 2017 said that liberals will only be happy if every character is a gay black trans lady. George Carlin is the gold standard of punching up not down. I mean, Jesus this is a bad take.

A bad troll deserves nothing more than a reaction gif that took you 7 seconds to look up. Actually not even that.

How often does PS I Love You have a third guest? I can see it being a smart idea to bring another person on next week since it usually result in discussions that are well researched and more technical. Or will there not be an episode next week to prepare for PAX?

George wouldn't be a fan of him
One of the more pretentious political self-descriptions is "Libertarian." People think it puts them above the fray. It sounds fashionable and, to the uninitiated, faintly dangerous. Actually, it's just one more bullshit political philosophy.
George Carlin, in Napalm and Silly Putty (2002), p. 261

AkimboChainz

Neo Member
I honestly don't think we would still be talking about this if Colin simply deleted the tweet and apologized before his second tweet. It was a dumb overused joke on a day where many other people chose to praise the women in their lives. But to double down on it and call anyone who didn't think it was funny shitbags while at the same time saying we need to come together and have reasonable debate? He knew exactly what kind of response he would get.

I respect him a lot when it comes to games, but his attitude overall since the election has been really off putting. The whole point of Kinda Funny was to create a community of positivity around what we all love, but stuff like this really pushes me away.

Omerta

Gaming podcast, freedom of speech, feminism, politics, social science, witch hunting...

This thread has it all. It's like the most beautiful car crash.

Krabboss

I've voted "liberal" for as long as I can remember.

I'm a feminist by denotation.

I have two sisters whom I expect to be treated fairly and equal.

A wife who I love and respect.

I also found Colin's joke funny. Nothing is off limit in humor unless you're a crybaby. (Especially since anyone who "knows" Colin knows that he isn't sexist. There are literally hundreds of hours of him sharing his views on virtually every subject. That is why the joke is funny. It's so obviously NOT what he thinks. The absurdity of it is the joke.)

Actually I'm pretty sure somebody who makes a habit of complaining about liberals and feminists just miiight actually not respect women 100%.

Also you like bad, lazy jokes.

Top Bottom