• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Heel

Not only is the "I Stand With Colin" stuff a little creepy (in a diehard way), they're going all in on the dislike bar, too. It seems like this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better, in terms of Kinda Funny itself. If it can get better at all.

Of all the things you can deem a worthy cause to protest in this world, they've settled on a martyr for shitty jokes. I can only hope they decide to take up their cause live at their PAX panel.

Their Morning Show logo is very fitting this week.

wvc-garbage-truck-fire.gif

MrS

Banned
Colin no longer appears on anything but CWR and they hire a woman from the gaming industry as the third/fourth chair.
Never going to happen, nor should it. Of the group, Colin is the most knowledgable when it comes to video games. Tim's knowledge is piss poor.

They can ignore it and move on and it won't have that much of an effect long term. It's just their fans will be slightly fewer and slightly nastier.

Yeah but doesn't that go against the image they're trying to build though? I agree if I was in their shoes I'd probably ignore it too...

Icolin

Banned
They can ignore it and move on and it won't have that much of an effect long term. It's just their fans will be slightly fewer and slightly nastier.

It's not just losing fans though, it's losing respect from people across the industry. People from IGN, Polygon, etc etc.

They dont have to ban him from anything, hes good at his job and doesnt even appear to be a bad person or anything, he just needs to keep social issues to himself, thats all he has to do.

Roufianos

The question is how the hell do they come back from this?

Is it really that big a deal? People haven't liked Colin for a long time.

Sure he's driven plenty of people away but he draws even more in with his excellent knowledge and analysis of the industry. Greg and Tim aren't even remotely as insightful as him.

Personally I go to KF for gaming only, I'm not interested in their political views or how they are as people.

Heel

Colin decided to make it a sticking point and play the victim. Now they get to see the "Best Friends" they've been cultivating.

Overtech

Neo Member
I used to really like Colin, and I still think he makes a lot of salient points, but recently, as in the last few months to a year, I feel like he's been changing a lot and I find it harder and harder to overlook it. He used to be more understanding of other viewpoints, but now he's straight up trying to antagonize them. KF was built on not encouraging troll behavior and being an inclusive community, but this seriously undermines that message. I hope they can recover from this because I love the KF content, but it will be difficult if Colin continues to try and prove his point about the ridiculousness of Internet culture (that his entire business was built with).

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yeah but doesn't that go against the image they're trying to build though? I agree if I was in their shoes I'd probably ignore it too...
Once you invite the trolls into your house, you're screwed.

If you don't stand up to them, draw a clear line that they're not welcome, they'll make your community so obnoxious and unwelcome that they dominate it. Over time, they're the ones who pay your bills.

If you do stand up to them, they'll do their best to make your life hell. You can already see their backlash on their latest vids.

The latter option would be best for their channel long term, but are they willing to take the stress that comes with it?

I don't see an easy way out for them on this, and it was entirely avoidable too.

Take NeoGAF. There's a clear line drawn about what is and isn't accepted, which is the only reason this forum isn't the same as every other geek culture online cesspit. If the rules weren't in place, the trolls would have driven everyone else out by now.

Is it really that big a deal? People haven't liked Colin for a long time.

Sure he's driven plenty of people away but he draws even more in with his excellent knowledge and analysis of the industry. Greg and Tim aren't even remotely as insightful as him.

Personally I go to KF for gaming only, I'm not interested in their political views or how they are as people.

I see people say this a lot but what exactly is he so knowledgeable and insightful about when it comes to games? There are people like the guys on retronauts who quite literally have an encyclopedic knowledge about games. There are people who are extremely analytical about the health of the industry when things like the npd reports come out. KF generally avoids discussing too much about npd numbers. Nothing I've heard from KF or Colin has ever really struck me as anything much more than surface level commentary.

hawk2025

If you don't stand up to them, draw a clear line that they're not welcome, they'll make your community so obnoxious and unwelcome that they dominate it. Over time, they're the ones who pay your bills.

If you do stand up to them, they'll do their best to make your life hell. You can already see their backlash on their latest vids.

The latter option would be best for their channel long term, but are they willing to take the stress that comes with it?

I don't see an easy way out for them on this, and it was entirely avoidable too.

Yep.

Again -- he caused this.

And he should take the personal responsibility attitude he preaches.

Bahorel

I've been a lurker here for a while, others have said what I'd like to better but the thing that strikes me the most about this, this isn't an isolated incident, that's why the "it's just a joke" argument falls flat.

Exactly. The fact that he's making a "joke" and hashtagging the movement shows just how much respect he has for it, none.

Maligna

Banned
Bring in Aisha Tyler again. She made Colin look foolish when she was on GOG and it was hilarious watching him try to put together a coherent thought to rebut her.

Thanks for mentioning this. Just looked it up and listened. That was great. I forgot how much I like her.

Colin and Aisha need to debate again.

Parachute

Neo Member

I'm not sure betting on millennials becoming less political and more accepting of extreme right wing viewpoints over the next few years is all that smart.

Multiple people in this thread have expressed that they would like to see Colin gone or hoping game developers/games media cut off their relationships with KF.

I see nothing wrong with the KF community, the ones who actually are patreons and watch their videos, expressing where they stand on the issue, this seems to be a simple and easy way to do it.
I've supported KF on patreon for over a year now, but I certainly don't want to be associated with this part of the community. I'm not super enthused about part of the community they have cultivated especially when I see mean spirited youtube comments like I saw just this Monday when their community manager was on the GOG show, with a significant amount of likes to go with it, though it appears they removed them.

I don't see an easy way out for them on this

that's the thing, standing up isn't "The Easy Way Out" unfortunately. sometimes in life you have to do things that aren't easy. it is called being an adult.

they don't want to deal with the stress? then they shouldn't have invited the trolls in the first place. its some hypocritical and cowardly stuff to be trolly and then run and hide from the consequences.

hawk2025

I'm not sure betting on millennials becoming less political and more accepting of extreme right wing viewpoints over the next few years is all that smart.

He can certainly live off that cycle of "statement->backlash->play the victim", lots of others do.

Look at Milo.

The problem is that this approach tends to escalate more and more. Would Colin rather become the "dangerous provocateur" that eventually says anything stupid for a buck, or would he rather stay a productive part of the community?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Thanks for mentioning this. Just looked it up and listened. That was great. I forgot how much I like her.

Colin and Aisha need to debate again.

As I mentioned earlier, I am curious about this as I am a fan of AT, but can't listen right now. Could you give me maybe a 1 or 2 sentence summary of the conversation?

Parachute

Neo Member
He can certainly live off that cycle of "statement->backlash->play the victim", lots of others do.

Look at Milo.

The problem is that this approach tends to escalate more and more. Would Colin rather become the "dangerous provocateur" that eventually says anything stupid for a buck, or would he rather stay a productive part of the community?

He certainly can, but I don't think KF can live off that.

pastrami

It's not just losing fans though, it's losing respect from people across the industry. People from IGN, Polygon, etc etc.

Have they lost fans? Will being less respected negatively affect them? I'm unaware of any dips in their Patreon, but maybe it'll take time. And companies will still see value in their fanbase. For example, I doubt this will stop Sony from asking them to do a panel at PSX again.

killroy87

I've supported KF on patreon for over a year now, but I certainly don't want to be associated with this part of the community. I'm not super enthused about part of the community they have cultivated especially when I see mean spirited youtube comments like I saw just this Monday when their community manager was on the GOG show, with a significant amount of likes to go with it, though it appears they removed them.

It's not exactly mind blowing how, when jumping straight from a high profile games media job into the wildlands of YouTube, they've proven to not exactly be the greatest at cultivating a strong community. They can have all the pet names for their community they want, and can show all the patreon dollars they want, doesn't change the fact that the community is, by and large, at least decently toxic.

The question is how the hell do they come back from this?

Colin needs to make a video or post on Facebook an apology. He shouldn't have to since it was just a joke but in today's world, nothing is just a joke anymore. People will scrutinize and critique anything and everything you have to say. But I can see this snowballing into something bigger and hurting KF's bottom line, perhaps not with their Patreons but with their sponsorships.

Everyone calling for this man's livelihood is just crazy. IGN folks are dumping on him, Rooster Teeth folks are jumping in. Kinda sick to see really, it's like sharks who smells blood in the water.

Colin needs to man up, and make a statement not for his sake but for the other KF members. Even KF are chiming in against Colin which usually doesn't happen. Colin is controversial, no doubt and his personality doesn't endear him to many folks including me. I've defended him on here and have also shit on him as well for the dumb shit he tweets sometimes. I think this time it's gone too far. He made a stupid joke, in poor taste, on a certain day that was celebrating women worldwide. Sometimes it feels like he likes to incite shit, poking the bear in the eye as it were.

I use to think jokes were innocent but I'm wrong. Some people truly and genuinely get offended about these type of off kilter humor and don't like it at all. I can care more, I grew up in a household where everyone made crude jokes and ribbed off each other.

My uncles, my grandpa, some of my aunt's got in on it. But I've come to realize some of these jokes that were funny and normal to me, could offend and be hurtful towards others. Colin has to be cautious about the things he says because as a founding member of KF, he has a responsibility to not only the community but to his fellow founders as well.

Me, I didn't mind the joke. In poor taste? Sure but w.e. it isn't hurting me or anyone I know. In fact, I myself like fucking with people and like to poke the bear as well. Sue me. But you have to know how to joke around and who you do it with and to. Some folks can't take jokes. Even when people makes jokes I don't like I'm not gonna get in my high horse and yell, kick and scream about how offended I am.

Colin, if you're reading this. You need to get out in front of this, not for you but for the rest of the KF guys. They deserve better and deserve to not be put in this situation.

Have they lost fans? Will being less respected negatively affect them? I'm unaware of any dips in their Patreon, but maybe it'll take time? And companies will still see value in their fanbase. For example, I doubt this will stop Sony from asking them to do a panel at PSX again.
It could, which is the issue. Colin has been toeing the line for a while, he put a foot over with this incident. Before too long he will fully cross and it'll have big consequences for Kinda Funny like being blacklisted by companies like Sony.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
that's the thing, standing up isn't "The Easy Way Out" unfortunately. sometimes in life you have to do things that aren't easy. it is called being an adult.

they don't want to deal with the stress? then they shouldn't have invited the trolls in the first place. its some hypocritical and cowardly stuff to be trolly and then run and hide from the consequences.
I agree. I do believe Greg is a principled person, and if he sees the community turning into something he doesn't like, I could see him standing up to it. But that would also have to coincide with Colin being contrite, and now that he sees trolling as an issue of liberty rather than decency, I can't see that happening.

It's a shame as I've been following them since literally the first episode of Beyond. Colin's political views, while often antithetical to mine, were never an issue to me, and often interesting to at least have as a counterpoint to my own views.

But trolling, taking pleasure in upsetting people, is genuinely one of the worst impulses one can have. To see him double down on it to the detriment of Greg and co, with an audience cheering him on, has pushed me further and further from Kinda Funny.

fastmower

I see people say this a lot but what exactly is he so knowledgeable and insightful about when it comes to games? There are people like the guys on retronauts who quite literally have an encyclopedic knowledge about games. There are people who are extremely analytical about the health of the industry when things like the npd reports come out. KF generally avoids discussing too much about npd numbers. Nothing I've heard from KF or Colin has ever really struck me as anything much more than surface level commentary.
Exactly. I've never seen him display much that's relates to industry expertise.

Heel

Me, I didn't mind the joke. In poor taste? Sure but w.e. it isn't hurting me or anyone I know. In fact, I myself like fucking with people and like to poke the bear as well. Sue me. But you have to know how to joke around and who you do it with and to. Some folks can't take jokes. Even when people makes jokes I don't like I'm not gonna get in my high horse and yell, kick and scream about how offended I am.

Not to get preachy on you, but maybe take the time to realize how inherently selfish this outlook is. Just because you aren't the butt of the joke, or anyone you personally know or care about, doesn't mean you can't take others into consideration. Just be good to others.

Curufinwe

Have they lost fans? Will being less respected negatively affect them? I'm unaware of any dips in their Patreon, but maybe it'll take time. And companies will still see value in their fanbase. For example, I doubt this will stop Sony from asking them to do a panel at PSX again.

If Colin continues to court the gamergate crowd Sony won't be able to touch KF pretty soon.

Ploid 3.0

I wondered why this thread was bumped a lot lately. I'm happy I never got into this podcast, and the stuff Colin said during the election repelled me from the show 100% (I forgot what it was now, but it was something shocking like the current "joke" situation). There's too many other gaming entertainment out there for me to put up with kinda funny (not really funny).

Not to get preachy on you, but maybe take the time to realize how inherently selfish this outlook is. Just because you aren't the butt of the joke, or anyone you personally know or care about, doesn't mean you can't take others into consideration. Just be good to others.

Empathy is kinda hard.

I have an extremely hard time believing that anyone was actually offended by the joke.

but they have friends in the industry who they have dinner with

Seems like they've probably lost a couple of those dinner buddies after yesterday's antics.

For instance looking at Dave Lang's response I'm thinking it's not likely they'll have Adam Boyes again. Speaking of Adam Boyes you'll notice that in that "debate" the insightful commentary was coming from Adam and not Colin.

Since Colin doesn't seem to have any intent of stopping his purposeful (also purposeless) trolling I'm sure the industry people they've alienated won't be the last.

Also Sony is more sensitive at supporting and putting front and center people who are toxic than say MS with their open support of people like Crapgamer and TimDogg. I could definitely see them dropping KF at events like PSX if Colin keeps up.

I know my post was long but did you bother to read all of it?

I kinda allude to this

My uncles, my grandpa, some of my aunt's got in on it. But I've come to realize some of these jokes that were funny and normal to me, could offend and be hurtful towards others.

insanexer

This whole thing is a witch hunt against Colin and the Politically Correct police. The gaming community is overwhelmingly liberal and I have heard posts on here claiming that Colin should "shut up about his political beliefs." Oh, so now only liberal beliefs are welcomed in the gaming community? So the other half of the country who doesn't identify with liberal, feminists, what have you are somehow irrelevant and crazy-persons?

Dude made a Joke and we have heard far worse on their podcasts and no one made a stink about it when it comes from Greg or Tim because they don't share Colin's political stance. Feminism is not about equality anymore, it is about man hating and women are leaving the feminist party in droves.

Here are some stats for you.53% of Americans – both men and women – reject the feminist label, while 26% say they are feminists. Among only women, 32% say they are feminists, while 45% reject the label. Of the men surveyed, 19% said they are feminists, while 61% say they are not.

I am sure if some people had their way on here every game character would be an adopted black transgender orphan from Bali with a lesbian lover who used to be a man.

Continue on with your witch hunt against Colin... seems to work everywhere else in the U.S. when you attack conservatives. They just end up winning elections.

Bahorel

I have an extremely hard time believing that anyone was actually offended by the joke.

If you're a man, maybe think how a woman feels looking at it. And how it feels to be treated like that all the time. It's reinforcing "a woman's place" and it's not funny. Sometimes it still feels like the 1950s.

This whole thing is a witch hunt against Colin and the Politically Correct police. The gaming community is overwhelmingly liberal and I have heard posts on here claiming that Colin should "shut up about his political beliefs." Oh, so now only liberal beliefs are welcomed in the gaming community? So the other half of the country who doesn't identify with liberal, feminists, what have you are somehow irrelevant and crazy-persons?

Dude made a Joke and we have heard far worse on their podcasts and no one made a stink about it when it comes from Greg or Tim because they don't share Colin's political stance. Feminism is not about equality anymore, it is about man hating and women are leaving the feminist party in droves.

Here are some stats for you.53% of Americans – both men and women – reject the feminist label, while 26% say they are feminists. Among only women, 32% say they are feminists, while 45% reject the label. Of the men surveyed, 19% said they are feminists, while 61% say they are not.

J am sure if some people had their way on here every game character would be an adopted black transgender orphan from Bali with a lesbian lover who used to be a man.

Continue on with your witch hunt against Colin... seems to work everywhere else in the U.S. when you attack conservatives. They just end up winning elections.
Are you for real? Especially about the bolded?

And some wonder why 'liberals' have a problem with the absolute bullshit spouted by some people.

Curufinwe

I am sure if some people had their way on here every game character would be an adopted black transgender orphan from Bali with a lesbian lover who used to be a man.

Enjoy going gray.

McBryBry

You'll be missed.

tuxfool

Banned
If Colin wants to become a cynical, grizzled George Carlin-style social commentator, good on him, and I am sure he will find an audience for it. But that is not the mission of Kinda Funny, a small business he started with his friends that he is undermining with antics like this
I understand the point you're making, but I have smirk at the mere conceit that he can be compared to George Carlin.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

TshAJb4.gif

Top Bottom