• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

meanspartan

I don't think I will ever get tired of Greg's "A baker's dozen!"

I just love how they brought over so much of their Beyond. It's a pretty shameless copy, and I love it.

And I say "shameless", but why should there be any shame? It was THEIR show after all, in all but legal ownership. I actually do enjoy the new Beyond for what it is and listen to most episodes, but for all intents and purposes the real Beyond to me is PS I Love You. IGN shoulda renamed their playstation podcast.

I just love how they brought over so much of their Beyond. It's a pretty shameless copy, and I love it.

And I say "shameless", but why should there be any shame? It was THEIR show after all, in all but legal ownership. I actually do enjoy the new Beyond for what it is and listen to most episodes, but for all intents and purposes the real Beyond to me is PS I Love You. IGN shoulda renamed their playstation podcast.

Well, Kinda Funny did try to acquire Podcast Beyond from IGN, but were unable to.

PS1 and PS2 are king of the JRPGs, that's why they both have the best libraries.
Here's hoping PS4 can match those lofty heights.

Yeah. I really hope so too.

The good thing is that it looks like they are just about to start coming in Japan more regularly with Exist Archive before the end of the year and SO5 in February hopefully soon followed by the others that have been announced recently, so hopefully the localizations don't take too long too.

Hopefully an update on Berseria as well.

Aw, they kinda glossed over a lot of the stuff from PGW I was hoping they'd talk about a little more.

Ehhhh idk, let's be real there wasn't much to talk about. The conference itself was decent but there were only a few key things that people in general actually care about and I think they touched on all of them.

I die a little every time I hear them trace a rumor of anything to Tidux lol c'mon guys...

Love the show though. The longer gaming-focused podcasts like this and the Bomb/Beastcasts make long sessions at the gym fun; I often listen to it in full then go back and watch parts of the YT version to see some of the body language around the pauses. So funny.

And Colin.. man... there are plenty of good places in SF, and Downtown, that'll serve you whiskey proper without crushing your wallet's soul with absurd pricing like Hard Water. Rickhouse, Swig, Tradition, Whiskey Thieves, just to name a few. Further south, Tempest in SOMA is rock solid. Still, a Pappy flight anywhere is a rare treat. I just can't bring myself to stoop to HW's shenanigans.

Edit: Also, Colin, FO3-- as much as I loved it-- on PS3 ran terribly. DLC in particular.

I'm not really enjoying these guys anymore. I feel like they are maybe just doing this for the money without much passion or enthusiasm anymore which is kind of ironic since they now have the freedom to do whatever they want. Really though, they break away from IGN to make a brand new podcast.....exactly like an IGN podcast. I'm feeling disappointed. Still fans of them in general, just let down with this.

I'm not really enjoying these guys anymore. I feel like they are maybe just doing this for the money without much passion or enthusiasm anymore which is kind of ironic since they now have the freedom to do whatever they want. Really though, they break away from IGN to make a brand new podcast.....exactly like an IGN podcast. I'm feeling disappointed. Still fans of them in general, just let down with this.

I could understand the lack of passion in Game Over Greggy Show or the Gamescast but I think PS I Love You is full of passion. In fact, I definitely got the impression during their last year or so of Beyond that they had too much on their plates and Beyond was sometimes becoming a bit of an afterthought or obligation. I haven't got that feeling with the new PlayStation podcast though.
I do enjoy that they're resurrecting so many classic segments from Beyond, though it was exciting when the podcast launched and they had the prayer which was brand new. I was disappointed to see it dropped just to please a few people who don't get it.

I think they nailed it with the release date for Playstation VR - Announce full release date for VR and NMS to be the same day in June. Then they can properly market it throughout the year to its apex at E3.
All they need is to get a lowish price tag.

Wagram

Colin blaming the PS3 over Bethesda for Skyrim was laughable. C'mon man. Sure, it was a bitch to develop for, but you're making excuses hence why people say Bethesda gets a free pass.

Good episodes though.

phanphare

Banned

well first I'd imagine that their particular positions at IGN were well compensated. if they were doing this for the money I doubt they would have left in the first place.

second, it wasn't just an IGN podcast it was their podcast. they broke away from IGN, yes, but that podcast was theirs.

meanspartan

I....don't get this point of view at all. They are doing it "just for the money", the only podcast on Kinda Funny that isn't tied to Patreon to get episodes on time?

The thing is, the real Beyond WASN'T an IGN podcast to me, it was a Colin and Greg show (and in different times Clements, Goldfarb, Altano, Petty, etc). No disrespect to IGN and like I said above I do listen to the new Beyond and mostly enjoy it, but old Beyond was clearly a step above their other offerings. It's not like Greg and Colin broke off of an IGN podcast hosted by someone else and then copied it. They took something they made but did not legally own and adapted it as close as possible to their new company.

Agree to disagree I guess.

o_O

- Of course they are doing this for money. It's their job. Do you expect them to put the effort into creating all this content on the side, outside of their normal 9-5 or whatever? Do you think they were working at IGN for free?

- Your comment re: a lack of enthusiasm surprises me. What other gaming podcasts do you listen to? Greg and Colin's show is a lot more energetic and, on balance, positive then a number of other shows I listen to. Maybe just hearing them alone week after week is what's grating on you? I definitely would like to see them toss in an in-studio guest from time to time as well but we're only a little more than a month in.

- Of course they're replicating their format from Beyond. It was very successful and a large part of that was Greg and Colin's personalities. They tried to get it from IGN and IGN didn't budge (naturally). So they're doing it on their own. Question for you: What type of format would you have liked to have seen Greg and Colin do in terms of a Playstation-centric podcast, or do you think they should have done something wildly different?

I don't get the reference lol. Are you able to explain it to me please?

Sure. A dozen is 12 of something. A baker's dozen is typically 13 (here's why: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/09/why-a-bakers-dozen-is-13-instead-of-12/). For Greg (as a joke) any number is a baker's dozen. It's on old Podcast Beyond joke. There could be one piece of news and Greg would still yell out "...a Baker's dozen!"

Greg Miller's new podcast? We all know Moriarty is the star of the show!

I know. I wanted to put both, but ran out of room. However, that was the original version of the thread, where it was announcing the podcast. I have since edited the original post to become a hub for the podcast itself, where each week I add in the most recent episode, creating a place for new listeners to catch up. As such, if I could, I'd rename the thread "PlayStation I Love You XOXO: Kinda Funny's PlayStation Podcast" (if it could all fit). The thing is, I have a feeling a lot of people still don't really know that Kinda Funny exists (especially with the community thread being in the community section of NeoGAF instead of gaming). It's insane how many people still don't know Greg, Colin, Tim, and Nick quit IGN.

amnesiac

I've heard Colin a couple of times on the show say that VR doesn't make sense and does not work for third person. Others seem to disagree. I think first person in every VR game might get old after awhile so I do expect some devs to make some interesting design choices with different perspectives.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I've heard Colin a couple of times on the show that VR doesn't make sense and does not work for third person. Others seem to disagree. I think first person in every VR game might get old after awhile so I do expect some devs to make some interesting design choices with different perspectives.
With DK1/2 3rd person works perfectly fine i was surprised how well it works

FranXico

I've heard Colin a couple of times on the show that VR doesn't make sense and does not work for third person. Others seem to disagree. I think first person in every VR game might get old after awhile so I do expect some devs to make some interesting design choices with different perspectives.

Imagine a Populous game in VR, where you manipulate the world, while looking down on it. A lot of people are ignoring the potential for strategy games!

Imagine a Populous game in VR, where you manipulate the world, while looking down on it. A lot of people are ignoring the potential for strategy games!

To take your Populous idea for a different spin, VR could allow for a more immersive DM (Dungeon Master/game manipulator) experience; whether that is something that is online multiplayer or local where what the PSVR wearer sees is different than what is on the screen for other players in the room, that could be very cool.

To take your Populous idea for a different spin, VR could allow for a more immersive DM (Dungeon Master/game manipulator) experience; whether that is something that is online multiplayer or local where what the PSVR wearer sees is different than what is on the screen for other players in the room, that could be very cool.

To be fair, I think both of those ideas still kind of fall into the first person perspective of the omniscient being you're playing. Not too much different than a first person chess game.

To be fair, I think both of those ideas still kind of fall into the first person perspective of the omniscient being you're playing. Not too much different than a first person chess game.

Oh I wasn't saying it wasn't first-person or anything, just that it sounds like something I personally could see VR taking a stab at :)

Heimbeck

Banned
I mean, he played knack. that seems to be an understandable reaction to the game lol.

knack-recovered92o2n.gif

I actually really wanna play Knack, just to see what emotional waterboarding feels like

lol people love their hyperbole. Knack's not a bad game and has some cool ideas that unfortunately aren't executed that great. There are some chapters that are really fun though and if you try to plat the game you are definitely in for a legit challenge.

I absolutely love this podcast but I have one pet peeve: why the heck do Colin and Greg keep citing Tidux like he actually knows what he's talking about? As far as I understand, this guy is literally just a dude on Twitter who's tricked people into thinking he's an "insider".

We've all been duped from time to time so I'll cut the guys some slack, but Colin in particular is usually way better at seeing through this kind of nonsense. I was utterly shocked when the boys referenced him the first time -- but they've mentioned him three or four times now.

Am I missing something?

I think Colin's just desperate for the name change thing to be true. I don't think he genuinely finds him to be that credible of a source or anything. He did refer to him as "a man who may or may not have insider info" or something like that, it's it's not like he's taking what he's saying as fact.

I absolutely love this podcast but I have one pet peeve: why the heck do Colin and Greg keep citing Tidux like he actually knows what he's talking about? As far as I understand, this guy is literally just a dude on Twitter who's tricked people into thinking he's an "insider".

We've all been duped from time to time so I'll cut the guys some slack, but Colin in particular is usually way better at seeing through this kind of nonsense. I was utterly shocked when the boys referenced him the first time -- but they've mentioned him three or four times now.

Am I missing something?

First of all Tidux is actually also a NeoGAF user, too (just a fun little fact). As for Colin believing him. I think he half-believes him and he's starting to maybe doubt the rumor, especially after Shuhei's comments. He's also said he won't trust Tidux if the rumors prove to be false. The thing about Tidux is when he is right, they tend to be lay-up rumors that are so obvious that they really shouldn't be attributed to him. I remember a big rumor of his from a while ago where the was going to be a massive overhaul of PSN in the weeks following a Twitter post. Never happened. I'm unsure if anything major has been predicted by him. If you want to believe anyone that gives out hints or rumors on NeoGAF, make sure they have a "Bish checked" icon with their name, so you know they are at least reliable and confirmed. People like Abdiel who, in the NDP predictions threads, gives anecdotal information about what he sees at the Best Buy he works at (and his district in general).

Every time i see his dance i cry.

WHERE IS MY CRASH BANDICOOT SONY???

WHERE IT IS.

Sorry

In Activision's clutches (same with Spyro). Technically Crash and Spyro were never really Sony's to begin with. In the 90's, both Naughty Dog and Insomniac were contracted by the interactive division of Universal Studios to make games under producer Mark Cerny (yes, the PS4 architect). Universal's deal with Sony had ended, as did their contract with the two developers and Cerny. Insomniac wished to remain independent, yet work exclusively with Sony (until a few years ago) and Naughty Dog agreed to Sony's terms and was acquired. Mark Cerny also decided to work with Sony as a consultant, a relationship that continues to this day. I should note that Sony published on final Crash game called Crash Bash, which was developed by Eurocom and not Naughty Dog. Crash and Spyro, being Universal properties (Sony co-published them) stayed with Universal. Just prior to the deal expiring, French conglomerate, Vivendi acquired Univseral. Vivendi would also go to acquire Sierra, Blizzard, and most importantly, Activision (merging the latter two together). Sierra had made some of the Crash and Spyro games before they were shuttered (they are now operating again). Activision took over production of the Crash and Spyro games. It's funny to think that the massive IP for Activision, Skylanders, is a spin-off of Spyro. It should be noted that ActivisionBlizzard (including Activision, Blizzard, Sierra, with all their created IPs) broke off from Vivendi in 2013 (Vivendi also sold off Universal to GE, which in turn did the same to Comcast). Vivendi is currently attempting to acquire fellow French company Ubisoft via a hostile takeover. Colin has talked in depth about this on Colin and Greg Live.

The sad thing is Crash is very much ignored at Activision. I don't even think they have a section dedicated to Crash games on their website. And while Spyro spawned their huge Skylander's IP, it seems he is an afterthought now in the series. So, I think if Sony wanted to acquire them, it wouldn't cost too, too much.

No results for Crash Bandicoot. The series just doesn't exist at Activision.
rEmdLWP.png

Two results for Spyro: The Dragon. One for the first Skylanders game, which was a Spyro sequel. The other for a Skylanders sequel, which does not seem to feature Spyro at all.
SnX3DzO.png

COME ON SONY. BRING THEM HOME!

Note: I have to also assume Activision is also in hold of Insomniac's first game Disruptor, a PS1 exclusive first-person shooter in the vein of Doom. Unlike the Spyro games, it was published by Universal and released before Sony became involved.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
Did they confirm whether they are doing a live panel at PSX? Also, I wonder whether we would get a predictions special episode before PSX , like they do for E3. I'd love for some #colinwasright smugness in my life. :p

Roufianos

I know. I wanted to put both, but ran out of room. However, that was the original version of the thread, where it was announcing the podcast. I have since edited the original post to become a hub for the podcast itself, where each week I add in the most recent episode, creating a place for new listeners to catch up. As such, if I could, I'd rename the thread "PlayStation I Love You XOXO: Kinda Funny's PlayStation Podcast" (if it could all fit). The thing is, I have a feeling a lot of people still don't really know that Kinda Funny exists (especially with the community thread being in the community section of NeoGAF instead of gaming). It's insane how many people still don't know Greg, Colin, Tim, and Nick quit IGN.

Yea of course. The title's not really a big deal. I was just expressing my admiration for Colin.

I'm actually the opposite, I didn't know who these guys were at IGN but I remember all the headlines about them leaving to found Kinda Funny and that's what got my into them.

I'm so glad I discovered them as I was going through a really tough time with a break up. It was so much healthier for me to go to bed listening to them than my usual Greek music which is nothing but romantic cliches. It's strange to say but their podcasts actually helped me so much.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new Crash game (though I wouldn't be interested in playing it) but if it was developed by one of the Sony 1st party studios I'd be upset. Let Activision do whatever they want with it.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new Crash game (though I wouldn't be interested in playing it) but if it was developed by one of the Sony 1st party studios I'd be upset. Let Activision do whatever they want with it.

What if Sony opened a new studio that is dedicated to Crash, Spyro, and Jak (and maybe other forgotten PS1/PS2 platformers)? Obviously Insomniac is still happy making Ratchet games.

What if Sony opened a new studio that is dedicated to Crash, Spyro, and Jak (and maybe other forgotten PS1/PS2 platformers)? Obviously Insomniac is still happy making Ratchet games.

I would lose my shit. I would just snap. I'd be throwing fists everywhere. Probably some kicks too.

Top Bottom