• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Bahorel

Would you seriously submit a formal complaint? Or even be offended in the first place?

If you don't draw a line there will never be a line. I learned this the hard way at my first office job, when my supervisor felt it appropriate to ask me for a blowjob in exchange for reviewing my work, before playing it off as a joke.

When women aren't treated as professional equals it should be reported.

I don't give a shit about a joke, most girls I know are strong individuals who can give a jab as much as they can take a jab, because that's what equality means to us.
This might be true for you, but you don't get to define what equality means to all women, and I saw more than a few who were very unhappy with Colin's "joke." It would be in poor taste any day, but it was flagrant to do it yesterday of all days.

Tjamato88

It's like Cloukyo is being dense by missing the point on purpose. White knighting because I can acknowledge a joke was ignorant and the follow up responses proved that his intentions were terrible to begin with. lol you're silly.

Also I'm asking again, is the next PS ILY next week or is PAX changing the channel's schedule?

Yeah there should be a PSILY next week. They normally record on Monday night.

Icolin

Banned
It's like Cloukyo is being dense by missing the point on purpose.

Also I'm asking again, is the next PS ILY next week or is PAX changing the channel's schedule?
I'd assume the next PSILY will go up next week, but maybe it'd be an evergreen episode, like the episode about a decade covering PS, due to PAX.

No word as of yet, though.

Overtech

Neo Member
Would you seriously submit a formal complaint? Or even be offended in the first place?

No, I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't say anyone who was offended by that remark was wrong, like Colin did. In a professional work environment, that joke would hold water as a sexist complaint. When your business is built on the Internet, perhaps Twitter should be treated as a "work environment" and you should consider conducting yourself in a professional manner.

This might be true for you, but you don't get to define what equality means to all women, and I saw more than a few who were very unhappy with Colin's "joke." It would be in poor taste any day, but it was flagrant to do it yesterday of all days.

Yeah that post about "only seeing a bunch of white males responding" was not factually correct. There are women, even from the gaming industry, who responded with criticism to Colin.

kevin1025

Banned
Your job seriously considers "women, am I right?" to be sexist talk?

Be honest, if one of the guys at work said that joke, if one of the guys, during a bit of banter, said "no women eh? At least we can finally get a bit of peace and quiet here now right guys?"

The argument that Colin is a public figure is nonsense. He's some guy who works for a b-tier gaming website. He's not a celebrity, he's a no-one. Nothing he says will change the cultural zeitgeist. If he went into a bar, no-one would recognise him, if he started spouting political opinions, people would say "who gives a damn what you think?" and it wouldn't do a damn thing. His joke would never have changed a thing if people didn't jump on the outrage train.

I personally wouldn't be offended. Can someone be? Of course, because everyone is different, and I appreciate that people can be offended by things I'm not. I'd also think the person that said it is an idiot, because it's such a lame joke.

For the second un-bolded part, just because of his position in life doesn't mean what he said is any less crummy. It's still what he said, on the day he said it, and tripling down on it, that matters.

SummitAve

Banned
I believe in celebrating the solidarity and strengths that make women unique. All the women I've ever looked up to are women who have found their niche and proven to be good at it, rather than whining at what they don't have, they've made a name for themselves with what they do have. I don't give a shit about a joke, most girls I know are strong individuals who can give a jab as much as they can take a jab, because that's what equality means to us.

I don't want to be shielded from jokes like a little baby, because a bunch of other men think they speak for us and our poor fragile sensibilities. A legion of white knights in these situations is much more of an insult than just one guy who makes a joke in poor taste.

Sometimes I laugh at guys, they're funny alien creatures to me, but its always in jest. That doesn't make me sexist and I think its an absolute insult that you'd suggest that I am.

You sound desperate to be persecuted.

I'd assume the next PSILY will go up next week, but maybe it'd be an evergreen episode, like the episode about a decade covering PS, due to PAX.

No word as of yet, though.

Yeah there should be a PSILY next week. They normally record on Monday night.

Thanks, yea I was expecting to hear that it would be a special episode not of current events but some type of theme that looks at the past work of PS

hawk2025

Very much looking forward to the next episode. Amongst all this, there is also so much to talk betqeen new games and PAX.

Surprised a mod hasn't come in yet, given that this thread's been on the front page for pretty much the past 24 hours.

Not saying it should be locked or anything, I'm just surprised that despite the reminder from last time, there hasn't been a followup of any sort.

Perhaps because this stuff has seeped into the content itself. Kinda hard to separate it at that point.

Icolin

Banned
Surprised a mod hasn't come in yet, given that this thread's been on the front page for pretty much the past 24 hours.

Not saying it should be locked or anything, I'm just surprised that despite the reminder from last time, there hasn't been a followup of any sort, and that this thread's been quite active.

Absolutely.

In fact, a job candidate did not get an offer recently for making a sexist remark during the offer lunch.

This has *nothing* to do with submitting a formal complaint or being offended. This is what people FUNDAMENTALLY miss, over and over and over again in these arguments. You want to paint us as outraged, seething people. We just look at it and go "huh, that's not something I want to be associated with". It's about having a positive and inclusive corporate culture.
Agree 100%

As a civil servant myself, i know a lot of examples of these types of jokes being made and it being a problem for many people and them getting in trouble for it.

This is because this type of attitude isnt inclusive and is just perpetuating a negative stereotype that has shaped how women have been treated for centuries and it needs to stop.

Just because it isnt a woman being beaten or raped, doesnt mean it isnt harmful and the more we can stop this sort of attitude from growing the closer we will get to a society where people can be treated equally and not have other peoples prejudices and ignorant opinions dictate how they are seen or treated.

This type of joke is exactly the same as any racist stereotype, you may not see or agree with that (for some arbitrary reason im sure) but it is the same. Would you think it would be ok to make racist jokes at work or in any public setting, especially a place like Twitter with no context? Joke about Mexicans being lazy or some other such joke?

No you wouldnt, and the reason for that is society has got to a place where the vast majority would turn around and say "What the fuck? Thats out or order". We need to get society to at least the same point and eventually better with every other definition we have for people and you people saying "Its just a joke bro" are not going to help with that!

Tjamato88

Thanks, yea I was expecting to hear that it would be a special episode not of current events but some type of theme that looks at the past work of PS

It might be an evergreen episode. It just depends on when Greg gets back from PAX or they could have recorded it in advance but I'd be surprised.

decisions

I believe in celebrating the solidarity and strengths that make women unique. All the women I've ever looked up to are women who have found their niche and proven to be good at it, rather than whining at what they don't have, they've made a name for themselves with what they do have. I don't give a shit about a joke, most girls I know are strong individuals who can give a jab as much as they can take a jab, because that's what equality means to us.

I don't want to be shielded from jokes like a little baby, because a bunch of other men think they speak for us and our poor fragile sensibilities. A legion of white knights in these situations is much more of an insult than just one guy who makes a joke in poor taste.

Sometimes I laugh at guys, they're funny alien creatures to me, but its always in jest. That doesn't make me sexist and I think its an absolute insult that you'd suggest that I am.

And, for me, this discussion is over. Colin made a joke. It did not proliferate sexism.

I am surprised that Greg apologized for it though, especially after hearing him agree with Colin about Horizon on the latest PSILY. Seems he is willing to trade honesty for lack controversy sometimes, which I can understand.

jacobeid

Banned
Absolutely.

In fact, a job candidate did not get an offer recently for making a sexist remark during the offer lunch.

This has *nothing* to do with submitting a formal complaint or being offended. This is what people FUNDAMENTALLY miss, over and over and over again in these arguments. You want to paint us as outraged, seething people. We just look at it and go "huh, that's not something I want to be associated with". It's about having a positive and inclusive corporate culture.

It's almost like you live in the real world too ;)

Anyone who doesn't understand this has some growing up to do, Colin included.

TankRizzo

Banned

Not saying it should be locked or anything, I'm just surprised that despite the reminder from last time, there hasn't been a followup of any sort, and that this thread's been quite active.

we're not allowed to speak on this issue because why?

I know you are a KF fan but using mod tactics to silence us? tsk tsk

Exactly!

Icolin

Banned
By the way, the Gamescast, and GOG, should be going up tonight for patrons. They were recorded yesterday (Tim sent out a tweet asking about topics after Colin's tweet), so I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a mention of what happened on Twitter yesterday.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Where did they talk about this after he made the tweets?

I haven't been following.

Also someone said Greg had a response and Colin isn't going somewhere or something?

Can someone fill me in?

Icolin

Banned
we're not allowed to speak on this issue because why?

I know you are a KF fan but using mod tactics to silence us? tsk tsk
?

I'm not using mod tactics (whatever those are, I'm new to GAF), and I'm not trying to stop anyone from speaking on this issue, especially when I've spoken about it myself.

A lot of the KF community is going in hard on Greg and Tim for apologizing, bending over for the "SJWs," and "throwing Colin under the bus."

I hope this isn't the IGN Beyond/Playstation community that I once called myself a part of.

Well whats so hard about taking this to the community thread? I'm not sure if it necessarily belongs here so I've been holding off from discussing it as much as I want. This situation is hardly about the podcast itself anymore, and WAY more about KF in general.

Omerta

Well whats so hard about taking this to the community thread? I'm not sure if it necessarily belongs here so I've been holding off from discussing it as much as I want. This situation is hardly about the podcast itself anymore, and WAY more about KF in general.

Couldn't agree more.

Curufinwe

A lot of the KF community is going in hard on Greg and Tim for apologizing, bending over for the "SJWs," and "throwing Colin under the bus."

I hope this isn't the IGN Beyond/Playstation community that I once called myself a part of.

Colin put up the signal indicating the alt-right were welcome in the KF community a long time ago.

I'm just curious how many women were actually offended/upset about Colin's joke. My wife is feminist as fuck (and I'm behind her 100% on that) and she rolled her eyes and said, "oh lord" and moved on with her day. Because it was a fucking corny joke. Nobody was hurt. Worrying that it perpetuates a stereotype is missing the forest for the trees.

It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong here) that, as is sometimes the case with shit like this, the people who are loudest about how upsetting this is are those who aren't affected by the actual issue in the least.

When you treat everything as an outrage, people stop caring about the real issues that actually affect people. And soon, nothing is an outrage.

RedAssedApe

Banned
people seem stuck on the joke part

there have barely been any posts about this in that thread. probably because people don't see it if they aren't subscribed and its in under community if they primarily just look at threads that keep bubbling to the top of gaming

Curufinwe

I'm just curious how many women were actually offended/upset about Colin's joke. My wife is feminist as fuck (and I'm behind her 100% on that) and she rolled her eyes and said, "oh lord" and moved on with her day.

So according to Colin, your wife is a humorless sack of shit. What did she think about that?

Fhtagn

"women are loud and they nag a lot" One of the oldest jokes in the book. I hear worse at work, and we all have a laugh. This is the type of joke normal people laugh at or just ignore when they're talking around the watercooler. It's not trying to "appeal to the gamergate crowd" some niche group of guys in some movement the real world doesn't give a shit about (or know about).

I love how people are saying "no, we're not outraged at the joke, we're outraged at how he responded to the outrage!

But then you still have posts like this, going on about how insulting the joke was.

Depending on where you work and what is actually said, your company is opening themselves up to a hostile workplace lawsuit if sexist jokes like this are actually common.

Icolin

Banned
So according to Colin, your wife is a humorless sack of shit. What did she think about that?
With that comment, I think Colin's referring to the people who got "outraged", not the people who didn't laugh. It's still a fucking stupid thing to say, but that's how I interpreted it, at least. Just my two cents.

I saw some people retweet Greg's apology and I was like, wtf went down this has to be major. Then I read the tweet and my eyes rolled out of my fucking head. Over-sensitivity strikes again. It was just a shitty joke. But yet again, the fringe hyper-sensitive liberal twitter-sphere goes apeshit over nothing.

With that comment, I think Colin's referring to the people who got "outraged", not the people who didn't laugh. It's still a fucking stupid thing to say, but that's how I interpreted it, at least. Just my two cents.

What's the difference? If you say "that was a shitty joke and not funny" it's labeled as "outrage!" to a lot of these fucks.

RedAssedApe

Banned

its hard to give him the benefit of the doubt with his track record.

I saw some people retweet Greg's apology and I was like, wtf went down this has to be major. Then I read the tweet and my eyes rolled out of my fucking head. Over-sensitivity strikes again. It was just a shitty joke. But yet again, the fringe hyper-sensitive liberal twitter-sphere goes apeshit over nothing.

once again. its not just about the joke.

You put about as much thought and effort into voicing your displeasure to the "outrage" as most of the people participating in the "outrage" did in the first place. You sound triggered. Do you need a safe space?

tuxfool

Banned
I'm just curious how many women were actually offended/upset about Colin's joke. My wife is feminist as fuck (and I'm behind her 100% on that) and she rolled her eyes and said, "oh lord" and moved on with her day. Because it was a fucking corny joke. Nobody was hurt. Worrying that it perpetuates a stereotype is missing the forest for the trees.

It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong here) that, as is sometimes the case with shit like this, the people who are loudest about how upsetting this is are those who aren't affected by the actual issue in the least.

When you treat everything as an outrage, people stop caring about the real issues that actually affect people. And soon, nothing is an outrage.
Honestly, the joke itself isn't the problem. This has been said many times. Instead it is the impetus behind it, and the subsequent actions after it. Given the individual that is perpetuating this particular thing makes it worse because it isn't an isolated incident.

At some point people need to stop shrugging off and going "It's just a piece of shit acting like garbage, ignore it".

Omerta

Some of you guys are being really passive-aggressive to each other...

If you must completely hijack a thread about a PlayStation podcast, at least be civil to each other.

But thats the real issue, the people who 'treat everything as an outrage' mostly complain about genuine issues like racism, sexism, encouraging negative stereotypes etc.

99% of people complaining arent going round complaining about every single thing they dont like (a well known trait of the right by the way) but instead are calling out issues that have a direct influence on how people are seen or treated negatively.

Yeah you might get some who go into insults, which is understandable since the subject is people being treated equally, but the vast majority of complaints are civil and well thought out. Its the other side that lash out and start projecting how their civil liberties are being taken away or we are all SJW's and its PC gone mad.

Hell, i saw one comment on the KF forum that referred to the people making complaints as "those raving liberal monsters"! 99% of tweets/official forum posts are supportive of Colin and ranting about this supposed 'outrage war' yet it is actually an 'anti-outrage war' from SJW, feminist and liberal hating Colin fans with the middle just standing there saying "Its just a joke".

sasliquid

But thats the real issue, the people who 'treat everything as an outrage' mostly complain about genuine issues like racism, sexism, encouraging negative stereotypes etc.

99% of people complaining arent going round complaining about every single thing they dont like (a well known trait of the right by the way) but instead are calling out issues that have a direct influence on how people are seen or treated negatively.

Yeah you might get some who go into insults, which is understandable since the subject is people being treated equally, but the vast majority of complaints are civil and well thought out. Its the other side that lash out and start projecting how their civil liberties are being taken away or we are all SJW's and its PC gone mad.

Hell, i saw one comment on the KF forum that referred to the people making complaints as "those raving liberal monsters"! 99% of tweets/official forum posts are supportive of Colin and ranting about this supposed 'outrage war' yet it is actually an 'anti-outrage war' from SJW, feminist and liberal hating Colin fans with the middle just standing there saying "Its just a joke".

Let's be honest, the "outrage culture" narrative is mostly something instigated by the right as a means of undermining socially progressive movements on the internet

If you must completely hijack a thread about a PlayStation podcast, at least be civil to each other.
"Hijack"

I'm upset with Colin and I've listened to every PS I love You, every Gamescast and every episode of Podcast Beyond ever. The reason I'm invested in critcizing Colin is because I'm such an involved fan through these shows for about a third of my life.

"Hijack"

I'm upset with Colin and I've listened to every PS I love You, every Gamescast and every episode of Podcast Beyond ever. The reason I'm invested in critcizing Colin is because I'm such an involved fan through these shows for about a third of my life.

This thread could sure use some...

Peace and Quiet™

Let's be honest, the "outrage culture" narrative is mostly something instigated by the right as a means of undermining socially progressive movements on the internet

"That joke was dumb and Colin is acting like an asshole" = outrage culture

"Omg you guys overreact to everything quit being so PC!" = what exactly?

Basic logic how does it work?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Collin brings out the best in people doesn't he.

When you treat everything as an outrage, people stop caring about the real issues that actually affect people. And soon, nothing is an outrage

Amen.

Exactly!

Some are deliberately doing it to undermine and some have just been influenced and joined the ride.

This thread could sure use some...

Peace and Quiet™
latest

Omerta

"Hijack"

... and you should absolutely have your say. Isnt there a kind funny community thread?

I find it funny that all neogaf commentary on the twitter ramblings of Colin Moriarty get lumped into the ps I love you podcast thread.

Top Bottom