• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Happily or angrily?

FURY!! I wouldn't want any of the SCE Worldwide Studios working on a 3D platformer from the 90s. Maybe a small team from Studio Japan. MAYBE. But I'd hate to see any of the first or second party studios wasting time on it. Sorry Crash fans. Let Activision make a Crash game for everyone, so when it sucks, it's not like Sony has another Knack on it's hands.

probably out of confusion

Yeah probably part of that too.

I hope they talk about NieR at some point tomorrow. Curious to hear what they think about the new NieR, since it is PS4 exclusive at this point

They sounded meh on.. I think C&GL?? last week. Colin, wisely, is very skeptical of Platinum Games, and rightly so, I think.

I hope they talk about NieR at some point tomorrow. Curious to hear what they think about the new NieR, since it is PS4 exclusive at this point

jacobeid

Banned
I'm so glad to have this back, though that Platinum hate needs to be put in check. In the case of Transformers, and ESPECIALLY Korra, those limitations were due to time and resources, not talent. The Transformers OT thread is full of people loving the game without a lot of naysayers, even at the beginning, so I'm not sure why Colin thought that the reaction was largely negative? I really enjoyed my time with it (about two playthroughs, and I plan on picking it up on PC at some point too).

Their teams have shown that they can produce quality titles, albeit quite niche titles, that are extremely satisfying in a short amount of time. MGR didn't have much time in the oven, and I can't imagine that Transformers did either. They might be stretching themselves too thin with that many employees, but could they be hiring more? I remember Colin saying that the figure was from about a year ago. Things easily could have changed without much notice and it would be interesting to see the current numbers. Would it be surprising if Microsoft, Square (and Sony), and Nintendo could be lending people and resources for Scalebound, Nier, and Star Fox respectively? I honestly have no idea.

I don't think that they're wrong to be skeptical, but the recent Nier trailer tells a different tale I think.

I used to see so eye-to-eye with Colin, but our opinions have diverged largely over the past year or so. I would have never guessed him to pick Mad Max as anything even close to GOTY.

So happy that it's back though. Would love some Clements love to balance it out a bit.

Given their recent conversations re: Platinum, I can't imagine that they'll say anything positive. Neither of them will be very interested in it and the conversation will move on. :(

They sounded meh on.. I think C&GL?? last week. Colin, wisely, is very skeptical of Platinum Games, and rightly so, I think.

yeah I remember that but now that we actually saw it in action and it looked great plus the Taro interviews it could easily be a topic to touch upon. But they will probably focus on the trailer if they do say anything about it, worth a mention at least.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
I think Colin's scepticism of Platinum stems from the fact just how bad Star Fox looks. I mean, that game looks way outdated. Though I agree, it's far too soon to write them off, given their past record. We'll just have to wait and see as the games come out.

I don't agree with Greg's point though, when he asks something like, "was Platinum ever good?" They have released some great titles in the past.

Also, regarding Colin's GOTY, I think we all knew it would be Fallout 4 from the moment it was first announced. That man loves his Fallout. He goes giddy every time it is mentioned lol

I appreciate Colin and Greg's opinions on Platinum. Seems like, especially around here, people way overvalue that studio. Korra was awful, Wonder 101 had some major issues, and I still have yet to hear anything positive about Star Fox. Don't forget the Bayonetta PS3 port. They've had some good games for sure but they're not in the same league as Naughty Dog or Rockstar, Colin and Greg have every right to be skeptical of every game Platinum releases.

Game4life

Banned
I appreciate Colin and Greg's opinions on Platinum. Seems like, especially around here, people way overvalue that studio. Korra was awful, Wonder 101 had some major issues, and I still have yet to hear anything positive about Star Fox. Don't forget the Bayonetta PS3 port. They've had some good games for sure but they're not in the same league as Naughty Dog or Rockstar, Colin and Greg have every right to be skeptical of every game Platinum releases.

My only problem with platinum is that they make these hyper kinectic games that are strong mechanically yet so banal when it comes to encounter design, level design and artstyle.

From Software is the complete package IMO. Great mechanics but wonderful art and industry leading level design. The true benchmark for Japanese AAA developers.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
Thing with FS is that they churn out great games at an amazing pace. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Bloodborne 2 announcement at E3 2016. I agree with Colin when he rues the fact that Sony was unable to lock down Demon's Souls for the west. That was a major blunder on Sony's part.

bigjig

I'd like to see Naughty Dog or Rockstar make anything close to Platinum quality with the limited budgets Platinum has.

The PS3 port had nothing to do with them. They developed the 360 version and Sega wanted a PS3 version. Platinum couldn't do it, so Sega did a quick and dirty port on their own. Korra is a budget licensed game, and is about as good as you could expect from such a thing. Not terrible, but not great either. Star Fox is from the director of Bayonetta 2, so while it might not look great visually, I wouldn't really doubt its quality as a game.

As far as them being in the same league as ND or Rockstar, they release far more games than either of those studios. Platinum released their first game in 2009. Since then they've released 10 games. Even if you combined Rockstar and ND's output since then you wouldn't get 10 games. As a result of that high output, there quality can vary quite a bit. You can get highs like Bayonetta and lows like Korra. They also tend to work very fast and on tight budgets. They took over Metal Gear Rising in late 2010/early 2011, scrapped KojiPro's entire work, and rebuilt it from scratch and had it finished in earlier 2013.

But the love for Platinum comes from a couple of things. For starters, they're one of the few remaining developers that prioritize a 60fps framerate. This is especially key because of the types of games they tend to make where low latency is important. Another factor is that mechanically speaking their best games are consistently among the best of any game you can find. They're just on point when it comes to mechanics. That's why people are so excited about Nier. Nier's weakest aspect was its mechanics, while it was incredibly strong from a story, music, and setting perspective. So combine Platinum's mechanics with all and that and you've got the makings of something very special.

But the love for Platinum comes from a couple of things. For starters, they're one of the few remaining developers that prioritize a 60fps framerate. This is especially key because of the types of games they tend to make where low latency is important.

QFT.

When we have even stellar developers like Insomniac mistakenly think that action platformers don't need 60fps, or just very misguided opinions in general like this...you appreciate Platinum's commitment more.

My favorite part about Tuesday is that they upload the new episode right when I finish classes for the day. I go eat lunch and listen.

Edit: Gasp, just realized I didn't listen to the normal episode last week because I just wanted the Paris game week reaction.

I love this podcast. I really enjoy hearing Colin's opinions on gaming and compared to the Gamescast and GOG show he just seems so much more invested and passionate here. The flow is really good too, I mean they've all been roughly two hours each so far and they go by so fast. Keep up the good work, easily my favorite podcast out there right now...

I'm loving the new podcast. Nice to have the old PlayStation centric format back. I still like the Kinda Funny Gamecast though. More Kinda Funny goodness to go around.

Morts

I don't think MGSV is as far from recouping its $80 million as Colin thinks since Ground Zeros was probably produced out of the same budget and they made some amount of money on that.

Mezoly

I don't think MGSV is as far from recouping its $80 million as Colin thinks since Ground Zeros was probably produced out of the same budget and they made some amount of money on that.
Yup. Also Konami releasing the sale numbers and talking about more big scale mgs games indicate they are happy with sales. If the average revenue per copy was $30 and 5 million sold/shipped thats a $150 million, so how does that not mean it recouped the costs? Not even counting gz.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
In my own personal opinion -

Just finished watching episode 7 of the podcast on YouTube and solid show but one thing I disagree with Colin about 1000% is him thinking that if games were only digital that they would be cheaper. They won't be. Publishers could easily give gamers a 33% discount making the game $40 at launch instead of $60. You save $20 but there's no disc, case, insert, etc, but instead, they're $60. Perfect example right now is Bethesda's October 2014 release which I enjoyed very much and actually want to play again since the last patch eliminated the black bars is The Evil Within.

Just checked on the PlayStation 4 store and it's literally still $60 but in stores, retail disc is $40 and for someone like me who has Gamers Club Unlocked at Best Buy (which is fucking awesome), the $40 game becomes $32 which is an excellent deal. I purchased it at launch for $48 GCU, played through it twice, enjoyed it and then traded it in like I do with every game since I stopped collecting games two collections ago.

Colin and gamers need to realize something - the retail disc version is the competition for the digital version. If you subtract the retail disc version, there's no other way to play the game except digital and here's why publishers will never ever lower the price of digital games if/when gaming goes all digital. There's simply so reason for them to do so. Why would they when they can make $60 for every digital purchase that literally has no monetary or trade in value and it's simply - if you want to play the game, you will pay $60 for it or simply won't play it, period.

I have realized that digital games is geared towards one set of gamers and people in general - those who are extremely fucking lazy and don't want to move their ass and I reason I say this is that whenever I have this conversation/argument with others at work, friends, on other forums, etc., the number one reason why they buy digital is that they're too fucking lazy to move their ass, go to the store and buy the game. Has nothing even to do with the game itself majority of the time. They simply don't want to move off their couch.

That saddens me simply because im lazy and my girlfriend hates it when im lazy which in general, I am if im off from work but only to a certain extent and point. Saving a good amount of money which in turn can go towards playing more games that I wouldn't be able to do digitally is a far better deal than buying digital games that are literally worth nothing for $60.

I have said this on other forums and here once or twice and I will say it here - if/when gaming consoles go all digital, the gaming industry will crash guaranteed simply because the majority of gamers like myself will either quit gaming or lessen the amount of purchases they make in a given month or year which will in turn hurt the games industry because publishers won't be making anywhere near the sales that they make via disc.

A lot of gamers don't buy games at launch. They wait for sales, etc. but they're few and far between when it comes to $60 digital games. I have purchased ten games thus far this year on release day or pre-ordered them thanks to Best Buy's GCU. If it wasn't for GCU, at least four of those ten games wouldn't have been purchased because I don't think that they're worth the money and digital only, makes it worth even less to me.

This entire topic came up because a fan asked if they could help with Gravity Rush getting a disc based release in NA when it's going to be digital only. The problem which wasn't addressed in the question or the response by Greg and Colin is that the game is getting a disc release in Europe and Japan but not in NA. Sorry, but that's fucking bullshit plain and simple. Same thing with Bloodborne GOTY/Complete Edition. Seriously, that makes no sense at all.

Here's the biggest problem, what happens if even after watching gameplay videos of it on YouTube and reading impressions of those playing the game, I buy the game for $60 and end up hating it? Or I think it sucks? Or it's overrated? Or im simply not getting into it at all? Then what? I'm out $60 which sorry, im not a millionaire and gaming is not a necessity, it's a luxury, plain and simple so taking a chance like that is a big hell no for me personally.

That decision in regards to Gravity Rush (which I have only watched videos of and read impressions about but obviously, have never ever played) in NA has completely turned me off to where I went from buying both on release day to no thanks, fuck you!!!

Infamous Second Son is a good example...I bought it for $16 GCU and simply couldn't get into the entire super power stuff and whatnot. That was after watching gameplay walkthroughs and thinking well, it looks good, it's developed by a solid studio, has reviewed well and gamers in general seem to give it a positive review and summary of the game. Took the chance, played it and traded it back in a few days later as I simply wasn't getting into the game. Digitally, not only would I have paid more for it than the $16 I spent on it but I would have been literally stuck with it and out whatever the amount of money it cost six or so months ago when I purchased it.

Back to the entire point of my post - publishers simply want the consumer to spend MORE and get LESS. Sorry, but im doing the same but in the opposite way. I want to spend LESS and get MORE. Thanks to GCU and not being a collector, im able to do just that because at the end of the day, I don't care if it's Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, etc. or any other publisher, all they give two shits about is making as much money as possible and they don't give a damn about any gamer period when it comes to that and I don't care how many times they say this or that, I know that they're full of shit.

Gaming being all digital would be a huge clusterfuck simply because as a gamer and consumer, you would then have literally only two choices - buy the game at $60 and take the chance on it OR simply don't buy the game at all. Sorry but for consumers, that's a shitty fucking choice that you're literally forced to make.

Sales on digital games is few and far between on retail disc based games and if there's no other alternative to play the game, sales and discounts will rarely if ever happen simply because there's no reason for the publisher to give you that reason. After all, why would they when their motto is literally wanting the consumer to spend more and get less in return?

Another bullshit problem is in regards to Hitman game coming out next year as digital only at launch. So, im supposed to give SE $60 for a 25% or so completed game and then depend 100% on them to deliver a quality 75% after they have already received my money??? LMFAO!!! Are you fucking kidding me??? And this is related because it has to do with the digital download structure of it. Think about it? If publishers start doing this shit on consoles with major top tier games (not Indies and those downloadable games), then what?

Do gamers really think that gaming is going to get better this way? LOL. Sorry but it won't. It will only get worse. You have DLC, season passes, micro-transactions and whatever else publishers can think of to bleed you dry and yet, some believe that digital only will be cheaper? Sorry but no chance in hell.

I actually like Colin and usually agree with him on this podcast and Gamescast but disagree 1000% when it comes to digital only. He can say that cutting out the middle man will reduce costs and yeah, it will, for the publishers. It sure as hell isn't going to reduce the cost for gamers. Considering how greedy all the publishers are, it's funny that Colin or anyone in general can actually think and believe that.

Publishers could easily give those who buy games digitally a discount at launch but they never ever do. And this is with other alternatives like buying the game on disc, having Best Buy's GCU which gives me 20% off of every new sealed game at launch, sales, or wait for the game to drop and buy it used off ebay or some other option.

No discs equals no options, no choices and no alternatives and if anything, it's more likely that prices will increase as opposed to decrease because publishers are greedy and only care about money and know that no matter what, gamers will buy the game because they can't say no and want to play it.

Sorry for the long post and somewhat rant. I simply disagree with Colin in this regard and will argue this with anyone simply because anyone who thinks that publishers after everything they've done over the years and decades will give us cheaper games is simply mistaken. And none of this even takes into account the fact that what happens if when gaming goes all digital and a game is broken at launch??? Good luck getting a refund or whatever because it's simply not going to happen.

Disc based games > Digitally in every way, every time.

The PS3 port had nothing to do with them. They developed the 360 version and Sega wanted a PS3 version. Platinum couldn't do it, so Sega did a quick and dirty port on their own. Korra is a budget licensed game, and is about as good as you could expect from such a thing. Not terrible, but not great either. Star Fox is from the director of Bayonetta 2, so while it might not look great visually, I wouldn't really doubt its quality as a game.

As far as them being in the same league as ND or Rockstar, they release far more games than either of those studios. Platinum released their first game in 2009. Since then they've released 10 games. Even if you combined Rockstar and ND's output since then you wouldn't get 10 games. As a result of that high output, there quality can vary quite a bit. You can get highs like Bayonetta and lows like Korra. They also tend to work very fast and on tight budgets. They took over Metal Gear Rising in late 2010/early 2011, scrapped KojiPro's entire work, and rebuilt it from scratch and had it finished in earlier 2013.

But the love for Platinum comes from a couple of things. For starters, they're one of the few remaining developers that prioritize a 60fps framerate. This is especially key because of the types of games they tend to make where low latency is important. Another factor is that mechanically speaking their best games are consistently among the best of any game you can find. They're just on point when it comes to mechanics. That's why people are so excited about Nier. Nier's weakest aspect was its mechanics, while it was incredibly strong from a story, music, and setting perspective. So combine Platinum's mechanics with all and that and you've got the makings of something very special.
sounds a little like Defense force mate ;-) They release more games than ND or Rockstar so, you excuse the errors/flaws in their output? Doesn't make any sense to me, when has quantity been worth more than quality? As a gamer pretty decent at fighting games, I appreciate a dev focusing on 60fps probably more so than the average user on here, but Platinum IMO is very overrated. They make great games, so does HouseMarquee, ND, Capcom studios, From etc...They are not head and above shoulders of hardly any of the consistent devs in the industry like GAF makes them out to be.

AmuroChan

Nope, they couldn't. Can't alienate their retail partners. That's their conundrum.

Colin, you mentioned that MGSV still hasn't made back its development cost. I'm curious how the math works. We know that the game grossed around $180m on day 1 sales. What is the number that a game would need to reach to break even on a $80m budget?

Wagram

It's extremely unlikely that a digital future would lead to cheaper games. Just because it means cheaper costs for packaging, retail cuts, etc, doesn't mean the price will simply drop. Consumers are already willing to pay full price ($60) for retail titles online. It would be an incredibly dumb business move to give up that revenue. We might see some publishers release titles are a lower price point to compete, but the likes of Battlefront, Fallout, Uncharted? It will never happen.

Colin, you mentioned that MGSV still hasn't made back its development cost. I'm curious how the math works. We know that the game grossed around $180m on day 1 sales. What is the number that a game would need to reach to break even on a $80m budget?
Is this a weighted question or do you not understand what you're asking? A 80 mil budget game breaks even at 80 mil gross. (Ignore this trash, my phone's back space isn't working$8880, 00 )

It's extremely unlikely that a digital future would lead to cheaper games. Just because it means cheaper costs for packaging, retail cuts, etc, doesn't mean the price will simply drop. Consumers are already willing to pay full price ($60) for retail titles online. It would be an incredibly dumb business move to give up that revenue.

Yeah I preordered BO3 on PS4 and couldnt believe the price difference to be honest.

Shenmue

Banned
It's extremely unlikely that a digital future would lead to cheaper games. Just because it means cheaper costs for packaging, retail cuts, etc, doesn't mean the price will simply drop. Consumers are already willing to pay full price ($60) for retail titles online. It would be an incredibly dumb business move to give up that revenue. We might see some publishers release titles are a lower price point to compete, but the likes of Battlefront, Fallout, Uncharted? It will never happen.

Yup assuming corporations will pass on their savings to you is naive. "Passing on our savings to you" is puffery for advertisements only. Corps sees additional savings for themselves as additional profit, not as something to pass on to the customer.

There is literally only one reason why any company would ever pass savings onto the consumer, and that's when it's doing it to compete with another company that doesn't. In this scenario they would still have no competitors and therefore no reason to pass any kind of savings.

Heimbeck

Banned
Nope, they couldn't. Can't alienate their retail partners. That's their conundrum.

Yes because when there are no retail games publishers will be kind and decide they will sell games for $40 instead of $60.
People have shown they will spend $60 on a game, there is no reason to believe publishers won't take the extra profit and keep putting games out at the same price.

Matt

No, we don't. That was an estimate on Adobe's part.

AmuroChan

Is this a weighted question or do you not understand what you're asking? A 80 mil budget game breaks even at 80 mil gross. (Ignore this trash, my phone's back space isn't working$8880, 00 )

Well, no. As Colin mentioned in the podcast, Konami doesn't get that full $80m. Games sold in stores Konami has to split the revenue with the retailers. Just like for movies, a $200m budget movie needs to make a whole lot more than $200m to break even for the studio because the theater chains take a huge chunk of commission among other things.

No, we don't. That was an estimate on Adobe's part.

Well, my question still stands. What's the number a $80m game has to reach to break even for the publisher?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Except for one small minor problem - it's bullshit because look at the game I used as an example - The Evil Within. It's been reduced to $40 in stores but yet, it's $60 digitally. The retail disc of the game has already been reduced by 33% so what's stopping Bethesda from doing the same for the game digitally? Who could they possibly alienate by lowering the price of the digital version? Bethesda could easily reduce the price but yet, they don't because they want to see how long consumers are willing to pay the full price for the game digitally. Is it a month after release, six months, a year? The longer people pay $60 digitally for a game after launch despite being able to get the game cheaper on disc shows publishers that regardless of how old the game is, consumers are still willing to pay the full $60 retail price.

After all, why would you lower the price when people would still be willing to pay the original price? Answer - you wouldn't.

The best proof is actually ourselves because if we were EA, Bethesda, Sony, etc., we would be doing the exact same thing despite whatever bullshit we spit out. At the end of the day, if/when console gaming goes all digital, gamers will simply cost you a lot more than $60 because the game will have no monetary or trade in value. It's literally virtually worthless.

Another reason is that in life, everything increases. Your rent increases when your lease expires, food increases, utilities increase, etc. Simply, everything increases. Rarely if ever do you see anything decrease. And while games could still stay at $60, I would be more willing to believe that they would actually increase instead of decrease because at the end of the day, you simply have no other choice. Either buy the game at full price or don't buy it at all.

Hopefully, this is at least two generations away so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Well, no. As Colin mentioned in the podcast, Konami doesn't get that full $80m. Games sold in stores Konami has to split the revenue with the retailers. Just like for movies, a $200m budget movie needs to make a whole lot more than $200m to break even for the studio because the theater chains take a huge chunk of commission among other things.

Well, my question still stands. What's the number a $80m game has to reach to break even for the publisher?
Well Its speculated that the number about gets cut in half after money goes to retailers and platform holders. I don't know how accurate that might mbe

Except for one small minor problem - it's bullshit because look at the game I used as an example - The Evil Within. It's been reduced to $40 in stores but yet, it's $60 digitally. The retail disc of the game has already been reduced by 33% so what's stopping Bethesda from doing the same for the game digitally? Who could they possibly alienate by lowering the price of the digital version? Bethesda could easily reduce the price but yet, they don't because they want to see how long consumers are willing to pay the full price for the game digitally. Is it a month after release, six months, a year? The longer people pay $60 digitally for a game after launch despite being able to get the game cheaper on disc shows publishers that regardless of how old the game is, consumers are still willing to pay the full $60 retail price.

After all, why would you lower the price when people would still be willing to pay the original price? Answer - you wouldn't.

The best proof is actually ourselves because if we were EA, Bethesda, Sony, etc., we would be doing the exact same thing despite whatever bullshit we spit out. At the end of the day, if/when console gaming goes all digital, gamers will simply cost you a lot more than $60 because the game will have no monetary or trade in value. It's literally virtually worthless.

Another reason is that in life, everything increases. Your rent increases when your lease expires, food increases, utilities increase, etc. Simply, everything increases. Rarely if ever do you see anything decrease. And while games could still stay at $60, I would be more willing to believe that they would actually increase instead of decrease because at the end of the day, you simply have no other choice. Either buy the game at full price or don't buy it at all.

Hopefully, this is at least two generations away so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I just hope they never decide to account for inflation. While $60 is a lot, it's a far cry to what some games used to cost in the 90's (some were $80 or $90) and that was in 90's money. Today those games would cost way much more!

notaxation

Neo Member

I mean, what a game grosses isn't really all that interesting. That takes into account the full amount of money paid for a game, doesn't include the cut anyone along the chain makes, doesn't include taxes and fees, et cetera.

What a company nets on a game, on the other hand, is interesting. You have to assume that after all is said and done -- after the retailer gets its cut, printing and manufacture is paid for, shipping and handling, and everything else -- that a publisher might get their hands on half of the money. But that's just a guess.

So if a game's budget was $80 million -- which doesn't take into account any ancillary costs associated with the developer or publisher, which could be extraordinary, nor does it take into account marketing and everything else -- you have to assume a game would need to sell somewhere around what MGS5 sold. But again, costs aren't contained to just development, and I'm merely exploring the issue with some educated conjecture, as I find it interesting.

Hi Colin. :)

Hello!

It's extremely unlikely that a digital future would lead to cheaper games.

No it isn't. It's extremely likely that an all digital future will level the market and force the publishers to actually compete with each other. People are really missing the point on this one, which is surprising to me. (It especially surprises me that people don't see that it could go both ways, for better or for worse.)

As an example, if the baseline for a retail, AAA game is $60, what happens when, say, Ubisoft starts charging $50 for all of their games to undercut their competition and gain a competitive edge? Do you think EA, Activision, the first parties, et cetera, will hold to the $60 price point? Or do you think they'll have to compete, since consumers will now say, "well, I just paid $50 for Assassin's Creed 14, why the hell would I pay $60 for Call of Duty 18?" Right now, the publishers compete with each other in the realms of IP, and quality, and name recognition, and a bunch of other places, but they absolutely don't compete with each other on cost. And they absolutely will if they're allowed to charge whatever they want. Let's not forget that we've already seen this at retail, too, though not for a long time (i.e. NFL 2K5).

And, as I said, this could go the other way. Games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 could arguably be worth MORE than $60, depending on who you ask. So what's stopping Bethesda, for instance, from saying, "Fallout 5 is the most robust game we've ever made, it's going to be hundreds of hours, and we're going to charge $100 for it." Is the game worth $100? A lot of people would say yes. I'm not saying I want publishers to start charging more, of course, but it does open up an interesting marketplace where what we deem AAA products could run the gamut from $30 to $100 depending not on MSRP, but on what the market thinks the game is actually worth. The competition will give consumers choice, force publishers to consider the demands (or lack of demands) from the market, and act accordingly.

If you want to keep paying $60 for a game, keep worshiping retail. If you want there to be a massive range of pricing beyond the "indie" versus "retail" model, embrace the inevitable all-digital future. Games are already cheaper than they've ever been, by far. Just wait until the market can really function. And that can only happen when the first parties and publishers are no longer beholden to their retail partners. That's my two cents.

Yup assuming corporations will pass on their savings to you is naive.

That's only a small portion of the argument, but it's not even the salient portion. The salient portion is what happens when the publishers are able to really start undercutting each other on digital platforms without having to worry about retailers.

Open competition forces prices to drop. Period.

Except for one small minor problem - it's bullshit because look at the game I used as an example - The Evil Within. It's been reduced to $40 in stores but yet, it's $60 digitally.

Considering this isn't even the argument you made in what I originally quoted, I'm not sure who you're arguing with. You suggested that a new retail game could be dropped in price on digital platforms compared to retail, to which I told you that that's simply not the reality of the market right now. And it isn't.

But it could be. And, in my opinion, it absolutely will be one day.

I just hope they never decide to account for inflation. While $60 is a lot, it's a far cry to what some games used to cost in the 90's (some were $80 or $90) and that was in 90's money. Today those games would cost way much more!

A lot of younger gamers don't have any context when they talk about the expense of games, which is why I bring it up a lot.

If you could time travel to 1995 and tell SNES and Genesis owners how expensive a $60 game is in 2015, they'd laugh at you, since they're paying twice as much in real money for their games.

I mean, what a game grosses isn't really all that interesting. That takes into account the full amount of money paid for a game, doesn't include the cut anyone along the chain makes, doesn't include taxes and fees, et cetera.

What a company nets on a game, on the other hand, is interesting. You have to assume that after all is said and done -- after the retailer gets its cut, printing and manufacture is paid for, shipping and handling, and everything else -- that a publisher might get their hands on half of the money. But that's just a guess.

So if a game's budget was $80 million -- which doesn't take into account any ancillary costs associated with the developer or publisher, which could be extraordinary, nor does it take into account marketing and everything else -- you have to assume a game would need to sell somewhere around what MGS5 sold. But again, costs aren't contained to just development, and I'm merely exploring the issue with some educated conjecture, as I find it interesting.

Hello!

No it isn't. It's extremely likely that an all digital future will level the market and force the publishers to actually compete with each other. People are really missing the point on this one, which is surprising to me. (It especially surprises me that people don't see that it could go both ways, for better or for worse.)

As an example, if the baseline for a retail, AAA game is $60, what happens when, say, Ubisoft starts charging $50 for all of their games to undercut their competition and gain a competitive edge? Do you think EA, Activision, the first parties, et cetera, will hold to the $60 price point? Or do you think they'll have to compete, since consumers will now say, "well, I just paid $50 for Assassin's Creed 14, why the hell would I pay $60 for Call of Duty 18?" Right now, the publishers compete with each other in the realms of IP, and quality, and name recognition, and a bunch of other places, but they absolutely don't compete with each other on cost. And they absolutely will if they're allowed to charge whatever they want. Let's not forget that we've already seen this at retail, too, though not for a long time (i.e. NFL 2K5).

And, as I said, this could go the other way. Games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 could arguably be worth MORE than $60, depending on who you ask. So what's stopping Bethesda, for instance, from saying, "Fallout 5 is the most robust game we've ever made, it's going to be hundreds of hours, and we're going to charge $100 for it." Is the game worth $100? A lot of people would say yes. I'm not saying I want publishers to start charging more, of course, but it does open up an interesting marketplace where what we deem AAA products could run the gamut from $30 to $100 depending not on MSRP, but on what the market thinks the game is actually worth. The competition will give consumers choice, force publishers to consider the demands (or lack of demands) from the market, and act accordingly.

If you want to keep paying $60 for a game, keep worshiping retail. If you want there to be a massive range of pricing beyond the "indie" versus "retail" model, embrace the inevitable all-digital future. Games are already cheaper than they've ever been, by far. Just wait until the market can really function. And that can only happen when the first parties and publishers are no longer beholden to their retail partners. That's my two cents.

That's only a small portion of the argument, but it's not even the salient portion. The salient portion is what happens when the publishers are able to really start undercutting each other on digital platforms without having to worry about retailers.

Open competition forces prices to drop. Period.

Considering this isn't even the argument you made in what I originally quoted, I'm not sure who you're arguing with. You suggested that a new retail game could be dropped in price on digital platforms compared to retail, to which I told you that that's simply not the reality of the market right now. And it isn't.

A lot of younger gamers don't have any context when they talk about the expense of games, which is why I bring it up a lot.

If you could time travel to 1995 and tell SNES and Genesis owners how expensive a $60 game is in 2015, they'd laugh at you, since they're paying twice as much in real money for their games.

Yup. We're lucky. The other day I was on boxofficemojo.com and was shocked to see how, in three short years, the first Avengers movie would've made $17,831,390 more if it released today in 2015 instead of 2012. According to them, in 2012 the average ticket cost $7.96. Today, it's $8.34. In 1910 it was $0.07. To be more recent, in 2000, the average ticket cost $5.39. Since 2009, the number of billion dollar grossing movies has exploded. Though, I suppose you can say IMAX and 3D have played their part in the ticket price averages. The true metric should be tickets sold. If it was, Gone with the Wind, followed closely by Star Wars (A New Hope) and The Sound of Music, would be the top three movies of all time. I can't imagine what video games would cost, if they followed the movie industry's model.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
notaxation said:

You said in regards to why digital games aren't cheaper now -

notaxation said:

My response to that was if a game like The Evil Within is $40 retail, why not match that price digitally? If the game is $40 in stores, that shouldn't affect anything retailer wise or digitally because the game already had an MSRP drop of 33% to $40 so why wouldn't Bethesda automatically lower the price of the game digitally to match the retail disc price found in stores?

And for the record, im not arguing with you at all. I just don't think any publisher is going to "pass on their savings to any consumer". That's all.

As for publishers competing with each other, they're competing with each other now and that doesn't seem to make anything cheaper. If anything, when you add in season passes, DLC and micro-transactions, it just makes games more expensive. I personally don't think for a second that publishers would feel that they're competing against each other. If anything, the more likely outcome is them all officially or unofficially agreeing to release games at $60 but never cheaper in order to not undercut anyone else.

Also, on a related note, I don't understand why people think games back in the SNES era were more expensive when they weren't. Games were $60, same as today. You would get a game here and there like Street Fighter 2 or Chrono Trigger which were $80 retail but those were few and far between. Even a classic like Earthbound which included the strategy guide was only $60. While inflation would increase the prices of those games, it evens out by gaming no longer using cartridges. If cartridges were still used today, then yeah, games would be a lot more money but considering the discs are very cheap compared to cartridges, it evens out.

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or argumentative. Wasn't my intention at all. In the end, I just don't believe for a minute that publishers will pass on their savings to us by selling games at a cheaper price. I simply just don't see it happening.

Toli08

In Canada we are already seeing 90$ games with taxes. Its the main reason I went fully digital.

Retail in Canada is 79.99 plus tax which is 90$

Digital at least on playstation is 79.99$ no tax then I split that with my brother which comes to 40$ a game. Then because of psn and its amazing way of updating the store we sometimes get new games at american prices which would 59.99$ When that happens the game will then cost me 30$.

The Canadian dollar is not going to get stronger anytime soon so gotta take any advantage that I can if I wish to continue to play the newest games.

Another advantage with digital is that my house does not get filled up with a bunch of game cases.

My response to that was if a game like The Evil Within is $40 retail, why not match that price digitally? If the game is $40 in stores, that shouldn't affect anything retailer wise or digitally because the game already had an MSRP drop of 33% to $40 so why wouldn't Bethesda automatically lower the price of the game digitally to match the retail disc price found in stores?

Digital games do eventually drop in price, and Evil Within was even on sale this past week on PSN. But yes they rarely drop at the same time and digital is usually later.

It's just two completely different businesses, I think. Im assuming they *could* drop the price on the digital version, but I don't think there is anything in place where digital is constantly looking at retail to match prices on the same date. Some of this is probably also up to the retailer. The retailer may be choosing to take a cut on their own, and may be even taking a loss in some sales. We don't know.

In your example, Bethesda (or whoever makes the decision as the publisher) may not want to drop the digital price because they don't have to. It might be selling fine online, while inventory of discs sitting on store shelves may need be moved.

This is all guesses on my part as I really don't know, but my point is that it's more complicated and completely different businesses to assume they will always have the same pricing from digital to retail.

KalBalboa

Banned
Good episode this week.

I don't agree that having one store would cause games to drop to cheaper prices, but I found Colin's argument to be an interesting earful all the same.

$79.99 retail games in Canada is a killer.

The ONLY instance in which I preorder games is to take advantage of Amazon's E3 preorder deal to get games for about $60.

And for the record, im not arguing with you at all. I just don't think any publisher is going to "pass on their savings to any consumer". That's all.

As for publishers competing with each other, they're competing with each other now and that doesn't seem to make anything cheaper. If anything, when you add in season passes, DLC and micro-transactions, it just makes games more expensive. I personally don't think for a second that publishers would feel that they're competing against each other. If anything, the more likely outcome is them all officially or unofficially agreeing to release games at $60 but never cheaper in order to not undercut anyone else.

Also, on a related note, I don't understand why people think games back in the SNES era were more expensive when they weren't. Games were $60, same as today. You would get a game here and there like Street Fighter 2 or Chrono Trigger which were $80 retail but those were few and far between. Even a classic like Earthbound which included the strategy guide was only $60. While inflation would increase the prices of those games, it evens out by gaming no longer using cartridges. If cartridges were still used today, then yeah, games would be a lot more money but considering the discs are very cheap compared to cartridges, it evens out.

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or argumentative. Wasn't my intention at all. In the end, I just don't believe for a minute that publishers will pass on their savings to us by selling games at a cheaper price. I simply just don't see it happening.

You're missing what Colin is saying. His original quote was challenging what you said about a digital game being $40 at launch. Then in response to that, you wrote about why digital games should be able to drop their price at the same time that the physical versions do in stores. So that is why he asked if you are arguing with yourself - he was challenging that digital prices could be $40 at launch, and your counter argument was that they should be able to drop their prices at the same time as physical copies...which isn't at launch.

Mezoly

A good rule of thumb is double the production budget.

So all indication is that the game is probably already profitable. However, Konami might think that it is still not worth it to have meager profits for a project that took 7 years to develop.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The 5 million that was shipped for Metal Gear makes sense to me. Metal Gear has never been a juggernaut franchise. It could have been if the whole Contraversy of MGS2 didn't happen. The franchise took a hit after that, and I'd bet it will take another hit after MGSV.
It's the price you pay for choosing creativity over commercial.
Saying all that, 5 million in one month sounds good to me.

Matt

So all indication is that the game is probably already profitable. However, Konami might think that it is still not worth it to have meager profits for a project that took 7 years to develop.

Not really, no.

The game shipped 5 million copies. Now, obviously they did not sell all of them, but even if they did, at about $30 back per copy, that would be $150 million.

This is obviously a big simplification, but the odds are no, they have not broken even yet, or if they have, just barely.

Mzo

Another advantage with digital is that my house does not get filled up with a bunch of game cases.

You can sell or trade in a physical game after purchasing it and recoup some of your losses, something you can't do with digital. No clutter because you don't keep it and it's still the cheaper option despite manufacturing and shipping making the product cost more.

Until digital starts passing the savings on to the consumers, it won't be worth it to me. Give me a discount big enough to make up for the fact that I'm only renting a license and don't own the game in any meaningful way in the future.

Top Bottom