• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

KalBalboa

Banned
I don't think a lot of $40 PS4 games ever hit physical retail, at any rate. Plenty hit digitally, as they even did on PS3.

The mid-tier market got tiny in terms of retail a while back, so I'm not sure eliminating that physical space would make the few examples of that price bracket change.

I do believe, like many, that major publishers are trying very hard to justify current gen game development with a $60 price tag ceiling. Season passes and the like are abundant for that reason- $60 can be a steal. Removing a tangible option for reselling/trade and then expecting publishers to drop their prices to accompany the reduced packaging cost seems like wishful thinking but not realistic.

All these publishers already compete in terms of pricing at physical retail and on the PSN store, so I'm not sure any extra competition would be bred by eliminating options.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You're missing what Colin is saying. His original quote was challenging what you said about a digital game being $40 at launch. Then in response to that, you wrote about why digital games should be able to drop their price at the same time that the physical versions do in stores. So that is why he asked if you are arguing with yourself - he was challenging that digital prices could be $40 at launch, and your counter argument was that they should be able to drop their prices at the same time as physical copies...which isn't at launch.

Understood but my main argument is that I just don't see games being cheaper digitally at launch than what they are now. No reason for publishers to do it. And that's why I brought up the example of The Evil Within. The publisher Bethesda could lower the digital price to $40 to match what the price is now of the disc version but they don't. Yeah, it was on sale last week only because it was on sale in retail stores for $30.

And this has to do with publishers in general, not just Bethesda in regards to The Evil Within. If a publisher doesn't lower the price of a digital game to match the price of what it is on disc in retail stores, why would anyone think that digital games at launch would be cheaper than what they are now without that alternative which is disc based?

In other words, if a publisher like Bethesda doesn't lower the price of the digital version of The Evil Within a year after release in order to match the disc based retail price of $40, why would they or any publisher feel the need or have any incentive to release games at a lower price at launch?

Mezoly

Not really, no.

The game shipped 5 million copies. Now, obviously they did not sell all of them, but even if they did, at about $30 back per copy, that would be $150 million.

This is obviously a big simplification, but the odds are no, they have not broken even yet, or if they have, just barely.

Doesn't shipped units are expected to be sold 6-8 weeks after shipping?

Toli08

You can sell or trade in a physical game after purchasing it and recoup some of your losses, something you can't do with digital. No clutter because you don't keep it and it's still the cheaper option despite manufacturing and shipping making the product cost more.

Until digital starts passing the savings on to the consumers, it won't be worth it to me. Give me a discount big enough to make up for the fact that I'm only renting a license and don't own the game in any meaningful way in the future.

I understand that but I never really sold my games always kept them. I understand the advantages of going physical. However, its a different world up here in Canada. Me and my brother pay between 30$-40$ each for the newest games. If we went physical we would be spending 90$ each for these new games. Its to big of a saving going digital up here.

For the first time I strongly disagree with the two about something: wanting the digital future. And it's not even a matter of pricing for me, I think there are more important things at stake. Preservation/ownership of games (what happens when they dissappear from digital stores?), internet speeds (not everyone lives in SF and IPs in America are basically an oligopoly), sharing/returning games, and keeping games from slipping from art to products or services, which is already happening thanks to shitty publisher mandates with transaction models.

Even with all that, why is it so wrong for some of us to like physical entertainment? I buy vinyls, criterion Blu rays, and 80% of my games physically. Again, space isn't an issue because not all of us live in SF.

I hope when you read this Colin you can tell I'm not angry, it's just imo this is a rare #ColinIsWrong moment.

For the first time I strongly disagree with the two about something: wanting the digital future. And it's not even a matter of pricing for me, I think there are more important things at stake. Preservation/ownership of games (what happens when they dissappear from digital stores?), internet speeds (not everyone lives in SF and IPs in America are basically an oligopoly), sharing/returning games, and keeping games from slipping from art to products or services, which is already happening thanks to shitty publisher mandates with transaction models.

Even with all that, why is it so wrong for some of us to like physical entertainment? I buy vinyls, criterion Blu rays, and 80% of my games physically. Again, space isn't an issue because not all of us live in SF.

I hope when you read this Colin you can tell I'm not angry, it's just imo this is a rare #ColinIsWrong moment.

PT is a good example of this. You can't even redownload it. Granted it was free, so it's not as big a problem. Perhaps a more apt example would be what happened with PlayStation Mobile. The same thing that happened to PT happened with the PSMobile games, even the ones you purchased. If you had purchased any and did not download them & back them up to the Vita Content Manager in September, they are lost forever!

I have no interest whatsoever in a digital future. I buy most games at launch and then sell them 3-4 weeks later on Craigslist for $40 after completing them. Going digital would literally cost $300 per year...at least $1,500 per generation. No thanks!

shira

I have no interest whatsoever in a digital future. I buy most games at launch and then sell them 3-4 weeks later on Craigslist for $40 after completing them. Going digital would literally cost $300 per year...at least $1,500 per generation. No thanks!

LOL are there people who still do this. Are you going to be 50 years old and still expect to be doing the same thing. Times change LOL

That brings up a good point. While I do agree that a digital option is nice to have for those that want it (I'll stick with physical if possible), haven't Greg and Colin both said how they took advantage of trade-ins to get new games when they were kids? While it seems they may have regretted some of those trades (I think they have repurchased some of their lost childhood games now that they have the means to do so), I think kids today still rely on those trades to get the newest games. For some people it's the only option. Go all digital and that option is most likely gone. I don't see a problem with both.

LOL are there people who still do this. Are you going to be 50 years old and still expect to be doing the same thing. Times change LOL

Until the internet providers (excluding Google Fiber) remove the insane bandwith caps and provide speeds to match the needs of an ever growing internet-based society. Physical is still needed. Google just needs to get to more locations to light a fire under the other internet providers. For instance, I've read that ever since Google Fiber entered North Carolina, their normal providers have become desperate and became comparable to Google. Funny thing happens when real competition arrives instead of cable companies agreeing to stay out of each others way.

To show how insane cable companies are with prices: Chattanooga, Tennessee (through a local internet provider) unveiled a 10Gbs internet option for $300/month (yes 10Gbs) with no other fees (they also have 1GBs for $70/month). Apparently Comcast had previously attempted to sue the company from creating a fiber optic network. When the suit failed, they had to improve their offering. Did they? Eh... The $300/month that gets you 10Gbs with the other company, yields you only 2Gbs with Comcast. And then come the other fees, which include a $500 installation fee and another $500 activation fee. They are currently providing a "temporary discount" that makes it $159/month for 3 years (though it goes back to normal pricing after that). But you are still getting fleeced. http://arstechnica.com/business/201...ed-by-city-fighting-anti-muni-broadband-laws/

RedAssedApe

Banned

yes people still sell or trade in their games. many don't have the time or inclination to play through a game more than once. not sure what age has to do with it.

There's reason to be concerned about the digital future.

Say the unthinkable happened and Sony went out of business. What happens to all the servers with your game purchases on them?

20 years from now I could still dust off my PS4, put a disc in and play a game.

I don't understand why you are being so hostile. Tons of people still sell their games. You may recall the moment at E3 when Sony announced used games would still be a thing on PS4 and people went nuts!

if I know I will be done with a game forever after beating it once, why would I hang onto it? Making $40 back is simply being smart.

And "times change" is a pretty terrible argument for something.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Agree with Van in regards to buying and then trading in games. If it wasn't for GCU and trading in games, there's no way I would have purchased and completed 15 games this year. Just no way. Too much money and gaming is a luxury, not a necessity.

I also tend to play one game at a time, complete it 100% and then trade it in towards my next game or a later game depending on when the next game im buying is coming out.

Perfect example for me would be next week's Fallout 4. I have never ever played a Fallout game and want to try it out and see if I like it or not. If it wasn't for the $10 reward cert for pre-ordering and the 20% off, I wouldn't buy the game because the cost doesn't justify trying a game in a franchise that I have never ever played or had any interest in playing. For $38 plus tax, it's worth playing. If I don't like it or can't get into it, I'll simply trade it in and move on.

Not just money wise but as others have said, what happens if a company goes out of business or say Microsoft leaves the games side? They wouldn't exactly keep XBL up and running when they're no longer making consoles or games. Both being an option is the best thing for everyone.

Well, if the trend keeps going, you will be preserving less than finished, un-patched games. And some patches (some even on day 1) are larger than the game itself, so high speed internet is needed in this case.

androvsky

I mean, what a game grosses isn't really all that interesting. That takes into account the full amount of money paid for a game, doesn't include the cut anyone along the chain makes, doesn't include taxes and fees, et cetera.

What a company nets on a game, on the other hand, is interesting. You have to assume that after all is said and done -- after the retailer gets its cut, printing and manufacture is paid for, shipping and handling, and everything else -- that a publisher might get their hands on half of the money. But that's just a guess.

So if a game's budget was $80 million -- which doesn't take into account any ancillary costs associated with the developer or publisher, which could be extraordinary, nor does it take into account marketing and everything else -- you have to assume a game would need to sell somewhere around what MGS5 sold. But again, costs aren't contained to just development, and I'm merely exploring the issue with some educated conjecture, as I find it interesting.

Hello!

No it isn't. It's extremely likely that an all digital future will level the market and force the publishers to actually compete with each other. People are really missing the point on this one, which is surprising to me. (It especially surprises me that people don't see that it could go both ways, for better or for worse.)

As an example, if the baseline for a retail, AAA game is $60, what happens when, say, Ubisoft starts charging $50 for all of their games to undercut their competition and gain a competitive edge? Do you think EA, Activision, the first parties, et cetera, will hold to the $60 price point? Or do you think they'll have to compete, since consumers will now say, "well, I just paid $50 for Assassin's Creed 14, why the hell would I pay $60 for Call of Duty 18?" Right now, the publishers compete with each other in the realms of IP, and quality, and name recognition, and a bunch of other places, but they absolutely don't compete with each other on cost. And they absolutely will if they're allowed to charge whatever they want. Let's not forget that we've already seen this at retail, too, though not for a long time (i.e. NFL 2K5).

And, as I said, this could go the other way. Games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 could arguably be worth MORE than $60, depending on who you ask. So what's stopping Bethesda, for instance, from saying, "Fallout 5 is the most robust game we've ever made, it's going to be hundreds of hours, and we're going to charge $100 for it." Is the game worth $100? A lot of people would say yes. I'm not saying I want publishers to start charging more, of course, but it does open up an interesting marketplace where what we deem AAA products could run the gamut from $30 to $100 depending not on MSRP, but on what the market thinks the game is actually worth. The competition will give consumers choice, force publishers to consider the demands (or lack of demands) from the market, and act accordingly.

If you want to keep paying $60 for a game, keep worshiping retail. If you want there to be a massive range of pricing beyond the "indie" versus "retail" model, embrace the inevitable all-digital future. Games are already cheaper than they've ever been, by far. Just wait until the market can really function. And that can only happen when the first parties and publishers are no longer beholden to their retail partners. That's my two cents.

That's only a small portion of the argument, but it's not even the salient portion. The salient portion is what happens when the publishers are able to really start undercutting each other on digital platforms without having to worry about retailers.

Open competition forces prices to drop. Period.

Considering this isn't even the argument you made in what I originally quoted, I'm not sure who you're arguing with. You suggested that a new retail game could be dropped in price on digital platforms compared to retail, to which I told you that that's simply not the reality of the market right now. And it isn't.

But it could be. And, in my opinion, it absolutely will be one day.

A lot of younger gamers don't have any context when they talk about the expense of games, which is why I bring it up a lot.

If you could time travel to 1995 and tell SNES and Genesis owners how expensive a $60 game is in 2015, they'd laugh at you, since they're paying twice as much in real money for their games.

I find the whole conversation odd. Most of the discussion is about major games from AAA publishers, many of which are better described as having a $60 down payment.

We know exactly what happens when game publishers go all digital and compete on price - they race to the bottom until everything is free, and then exploit gambling theory to extract as much money as possible from those willing to pay it. No large publisher is going to put out a $100 premium experience, or a $60, or $10 one. Customers will become used to getting games for free and nobody will be able to sell even 99 cent games.

In order to keep customers engaged both with the games and encouraging their friends to play (and by play I mean try to outspend each other), single player experiences will be discouraged and genres easy to do in low budgets like MOBAs or arena shooters will be the rage.

Of course the gross thing is we're currently getting both high up-front costs and the back-end microtransaction tax on many games. The good news is it's rarely as bad as gets on mobile; since retail costs require a sizeable price to make the distribution worthwhile the publishers still have to deliver a decent amount of game to make up for it or the product will fail.

tl;dr
I'm not convinced we really want publishers competing with no lower bound on price.

shira

I don't understand why you are being so hostile. Tons of people still sell their games. You may recall the moment at E3 when Sony announced used games would still be a thing on PS4 and people went nuts!

if I know I will be done with a game forever after beating it once, why would I hang onto it? Making $40 back is simply being smart.

And "times change" is a pretty terrible argument for something.

Like are you legit just going to dump gaming because you can't sell games for 80% of their retail value anymore

Like are you legit just going to dump gaming because you can't sell games for 80% of their retail value anymore

What are you talking about? I never said anything about quitting gaming. I just said why I'm not interested in a digital-only future. I'll evaluate that if it ever happens...thankfully, I strongly doubt it will be any time soon.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
I really enjoyed the discussion on the PSN Name change part. From what I understand, and I may be totally wrong here, that PSN is using the member name as primary key in the back end database, which is the root cause of this inability to change it. Now, this post is going to get a whole lot more technical and geeky, so bear with me here.

In any relational database (like Oracle, for example), you need a primary key to uniquely identify a row (or record) from a table. A good primary key must be unique, not null and immutable (i.e updating it should not be allowed/encouraged). Now, there can broadly be two types of Primary Key:

a) Natural Key: Primary keys that have business value other than the ability as an unique identifier. Suppose, I have a User table in my database that can hold user records. Now, if I think that user name must always be unique and can't be set as null, then I can assign user name field as my PK. This is a natural key because a User name has business meaning outside of being just a PK i.e it was part of my original table and I just assigned PK properties to it.

b) Surrogate Key: Keys that have no business meaning outside of acting as unique identifiers. If I take the User table example from above, I can create, say, a new field called user_id specifically to act as primary key. I can then leave it up to my DB to automatically assign unique values to it as records get added to my table. Note that an 'user_id' column has not other business meaning unlike something like a user name field.

It is a recommended practice to use surrogate keys as primary keys whenever possible since the user using the front end of the application is not even aware of it's existence at the back end. Thus, the user has no reason to update it. It is only used for computational purposes at the back end and that's it. What Sony seems to have done here it used a natural key like 'PSN id' as primary key, which does hold some purposeful meaning to the end user and who has every reason to update it. As you can imagine, updating a key can have far reaching consequences as these keys are used to join multiple tables together and should be left alone.

In layman's terms: your unique identifier should no be some field that is likely to get updated often. That is just bad design.

Apologies for the rather boorish post, but this is response to Colin requesting viewers to submit technical knowledge and inside know how on the issue. All your anger should best be directed towards him. :p

Alo0oy

Banned
I have to laugh at Fallout selling more than Call of Duty. Call of Duty will probably sell more on NPD alone than Fallout does worldwide.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Open competition forces prices to drop. Period.
Yes, the problem here is just that games industry is not an open competition, it is monopolistic competition. There is only one supplier for Halo games, there is only one supplier for Call of Duty games, etc. If you want to play Halo 5, you really have only one option: buy it (directly or indirectly) from Microsoft.

You might argue that you get the same utility from any FPS (or any game, for that matter), but the brand value, player base and game quality are also factors. If -- all things considered -- consumers feel that Halo is worth $60, there is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to drop its price, even if their distribution costs are lower.

Costs only dictate the minimum price point. Maximum price point is determined by consumer demand.

Paganmoon

Was Greg joking when he said Bioshock Vita game was 98% done? I don't get the joke if so, why would you say something like that Greg? Why??
And why would 2K not finish the damned thing if it was so close to done?

Was Greg joking when he said Bioshock Vita game was 98% done? I don't get the joke if so, why would you say something like that Greg? Why??
And why would 2K not finish the damned thing if it was so close to done?

Bioshock Infinite was never even started. It was maybe 2% done if you include thinking of a general concept as part of the production. So in that sense it was 98% unfinished.

Mzo

The only competition would be between platforms when it comes to consoles, and they know that after a few purchases you're too invested in their system to really switch sides. You're not going to sell your Sony system and therefore every digital game you own just to buy a Microsoft system because the newest game is cheaper there.

There really is no competition outside of an open system, like the PC.

Just listened to the discussion on Sunset Overdrive. I'm a bit confused; wasn't there a big discussion on GAF some time ago concluding that the reason Insomniac went with Microsoft was due to IP ownership? I can't remember if that was official though, or just people piecing things together. Personally, I tend to believe it's less about Microsoft swooping in and enabling a project to happen and more about them offering something better than Sony to Insomniac. Namely, Microsoft allowed them to keep ownership of the new IP. Conversely, Sony insists on owning all the IPs. So I think Colin might be missing that a bit.

Now I'm even more confused. It was Colin himself who wrote this at IGN when interviewing Insomniac:
"We pitched it a few different places, and it was really important to [Insomniac CEO] Ted [Price] that we own the IP, so some of the conversations broke down over that."
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/09/how-sunset-overdrive-became-an-xbox-one-exclusive

Seems pretty clear that they simply chose Microsoft because Microsoft let them keep ownership of the IP, whereas Sony did not.

The 5 million that was shipped for Metal Gear makes sense to me. Metal Gear has never been a juggernaut franchise. It could have been if the whole Contraversy of MGS2 didn't happen. The franchise took a hit after that, and I'd bet it will take another hit after MGSV.
It's the price you pay for choosing creativity over commercial.
Saying all that, 5 million in one month sounds good to me.
Or just being consistently good? MGS2 is full of these nice hidden story bits, innuendos, and of course the whole "Gotcha, not playing as Snake" bit. But it simply wasn't as good as the MGS IMO. Not as well paced, not as memorable in the boss battles, and of course Raiden not as fleshed out as Snake. Uncharted series, GTA, Halo series (until recently I guess) etc...has generally been improvement across the board with each iteration. Kojima IMO has simply been inconsistent. MGS amazing, MGS2 great/good, MGS3 amazing, MGS4 great/good, MGS:pO ok, MGS:pW good, MGSV no comment haven't played it, but certainly one of the more mixed ones.

Mezoly

Just listened to the discussion on Sunset Overdrive. I'm a bit confused; wasn't there a big discussion on GAF some time ago concluding that the reason Insomniac went with Microsoft was due to IP ownership? I can't remember if that was official though, or just people piecing things together. Personally, I tend to believe it's less about Microsoft swooping in and enabling a project to happen and more about them offering something better than Sony to Insomniac. Namely, Microsoft allowed them to keep ownership of the new IP. Conversely, Sony insists on owning all the IPs. So I think Colin might be missing that a bit.

Now I'm even more confused. It was Colin himself who wrote this at IGN when interviewing Insomniac:
"We pitched it a few different places, and it was really important to [Insomniac CEO] Ted [Price] that we own the IP, so some of the conversations broke down over that."
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/09/how-sunset-overdrive-became-an-xbox-one-exclusive

Seems pretty clear that they simply chose Microsoft because Microsoft let them keep ownership of the IP, whereas Sony did not.

Basically, Sony and Microsoft both agreed to fund the game but Sony wanted to retain ownership of the IP. So still Microsoft paid to fund the game and publish it.

Basically, Sony and Microsoft both agreed to fund the game but Sony wanted to retain ownership of the IP. So still Microsoft paid to fund the game and publish it.

Yeah but Colin speculated in this episode that this game might not have happened if not for Microsoft and said that we should thank them. That seems like a strange way to phrase it, as this was a case of Insomniac choosing Microsoft so that Insomniac could own the IP. This game could have easily existed with Sony or other publishers...with those publishers owning the IP. It's not that Microsoft saved a project that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
20 years from now I could still dust off my PS4, put a disc in and play a game.
Only if you also somehow managed to keep that day one patch on your hdd. Wonder if patch to play is the industries way of easing us into the all digital future.

Only if you also somehow managed to keep that day one patch on your hdd. Wonder if patch to play is the industries way of easing us into the all digital future.

Well, obviously any system is susceptible to hardware failure

Either way if I really wanted I could also keep a USB key with the firmware update on it so that if the hard drive failed I could still manually update it after putting in a new one.

I've always wondered about that. It's the downside to patches. I think if a game has been patched a lot and they know the servers to download said patches will be shut down, they should print a final disk.

May16

I hope they talk about NieR at some point tomorrow. Curious to hear what they think about the new NieR, since it is PS4 exclusive at this point

This here ain't no Colin-n-Greg, but it's, uh, something? (Podcast duo, discusses Nier 2, but not a PS exclusive 'cast.)

Anyway, the changing the PSN name should be easy, but the guts of it seem so archaic that's too hard for what Sony probably sees as little financial gain. Anything they dedicate resources to will need to provide return, and maybe the amount good will they'd gain isn't seen as enough to justify the effort? Sounds shrewd, but...maybe that's some of it?

DKHF

This here ain't no Colin-n-Greg, but it's, uh, something? (Podcast duo, discusses Nier 2, but not a PS exclusive 'cast.)

Anyway, the changing the PSN name should be easy, but the guts of it seem so archaic that's too hard for what Sony probably sees as little financial gain. Anything they dedicate resources to will need to provide return, and maybe the amount good will they'd gain isn't seen as enough to justify the effort? Sounds shrewd, but...maybe that's some of it?
I think there would be significant financial gain (depending on how much they charge for it) and Sony knows that. Especially if it's announced at their PSX conference and a big deal is made out of it.

bigjig

I don't understand the argument here because Steam has clearly shown that serious discounts happen.

Sales on Steam happen because Steam has competition from other digital retailers such as GMG, Amazon, GOG, Origin and many other key resellers. The only way the same kind of sales would happen for digital games on console would be if there were other sellers of digital PS4 games outside of just the PSN store. Arguing that an all digital future would result in cheaper games "just because" just sounds naive to me. Maybe I'm more of a cynic than Colin is though :)

Corum

I really enjoyed the discussion on the PSN Name change part. From what I understand, and I may be totally wrong here, that PSN is using the member name as primary key in the back end database, which is the root cause of this inability to change it. Now, this post is going to get a whole lot more technical and geeky, so bear with me here.

In any relational database (like Oracle, for example), you need a primary key to uniquely identify a row (or record) from a table. A good primary key must be unique, not null and immutable (i.e updating it should not be allowed/encouraged). Now, there can broadly be two types of Primary Key:

a) Natural Key: Primary keys that have business value other than the ability as an unique identifier. Suppose, I have a User table in my database that can hold user records. Now, if I think that user name must always be unique and can't be set as null, then I can assign user name field as my PK. This is a natural key because a User name has business meaning outside of being just a PK i.e it was part of my original table and I just assigned PK properties to it.

b) Surrogate Key: Keys that have no business meaning outside of acting as unique identifiers. If I take the User table example from above, I can create, say, a new field called user_id specifically to act as primary key. I can then leave it up to my DB to automatically assign unique values to it as records get added to my table. Note that an 'user_id' column has not other business meaning unlike something like a user name field.

It is a recommended practice to use surrogate keys as primary keys whenever possible since the user using the front end of the application is not even aware of it's existence at the back end. Thus, the user has no reason to update it. It is only used for computational purposes at the back end and that's it. What Sony seems to have done here it used a natural key like 'PSN id' as primary key, which does hold some purposeful meaning to the end user and who has every reason to update it. As you can imagine, updating a key can have far reaching consequences as these keys are used to join multiple tables together and should be left alone.

In layman's terms: your unique identifier should no be some field that is likely to get updated often. That is just bad design.

Apologies for the rather boorish post, but this is response to Colin requesting viewers to submit technical knowledge and inside know how on the issue. All your anger should best be directed towards him. :p

Good post, thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

I want to change my PSN ID and I only created it when I bought a PS4, I don't even have the excuse of growing out of a user ID like 1337seph1roth. (To emphasize, that isn't my PSN ID)

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
I wonder if in this 'perceived' all digital future, we'd get more games like the new Hitman, where we get a base game upfront and then it's built upon by addition of new levels/missions overtime.

Sales on Steam happen because Steam has competition from other digital retailers such as GMG, Amazon, GOG, Origin and many other key resellers. The only way the same kind of sales would happen for digital games on console would be if there were other sellers of digital PS4 games outside of just the PSN store. Arguing that an all digital future would result in cheaper games "just because" just sounds naive to me. Maybe I'm more of a cynic than Colin is though :)
No, you're 100% correct. Digital stores on consoles, in an all digital future, would have no reason to ever drop prices or have sales or even have sustainable pricing models.

I think there would be significant financial gain (depending on how much they charge for it) and Sony knows that. Especially if it's announced at their PSX conference and a big deal is made out of it.

Speaking of PSX, we should get a prediction episode in a few week, I'd imagine. The PSX conference is a month away.

Top Bottom