• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Colin will be funny or furious. Maybe both. No PSN name change. No Sony Bend game. It will be fun! ;p
He's toning it down there. He is going to give them so much shit on the next episode. Can't wait for the rage. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EDIT: Huh Colin said he was disappointed here as well. Not surprised. To the people who say what you were expecting. No first party studio at the only PS game event. That makes no damn sense.

He's toning it down there. He is going to give them so much shit on the next episode. Can't wait for the rage. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EDIT: Huh Colin said he was disappointed here as well. Not surprised. To the people who say what you were expecting. No first party studio at the only PS game event. That makes no damn sense.

I mean they did show MLB lol.

However, I do agree. I can't wait to hear that Colin rage.

Fuckin hyped to hear this podcast. going back and fourth between hearing it now or in my car for the drive home from work which is what I usually do.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hyped to see that Shannon Studstill interview they've done! Hoping Colin asked some tough questions, especially about the cancelled IP.

Tankard

Will listen to it later, so i don't know if they touched on the subject on the new PS I Love You, but yesterday Colin commented on Colin & Greg live that he approached Shu to explain about the Boo/Shu misunderstanding.

Episode was excellent as always, couldn't even tell that you guys were tired, it was business as usual. I actually believed that some of Colin's predictions were a sure hit, like Bend and stuff. I was as surprised as he was.

Man is GTSport flying that low on the radar? Colin and Greg talking about missing first party games and not even mentioning it. It's not only them though.

prwxv3

They were there (on the game streams and show floor). Some of those games are not for psx. They need biger audiences then psx.

Well, I am now hooked. Thanks Colin, and Greg. Great chemistry.

Honestly, I never really listened to podcasts before (besides some random ones in the past like PSNation, since meeting Glenn years ago with our MLB The Show focus/community groups), and I have been playing games for over 30 years, lol. Short bits here and there, but if they are all like this, I am definitely having them play while at home cooking, etc, or at work.
Not all podcasts are alike.

This is by far my favorite. By far. But I'm a PlayStation guy.

A lot of people say giant bomb podcast is good. It puts me to sleep every time I try to listen to those guys.

I like the cagcast too but I've been listening to them for years (like I have Colin and Greg).

But for PlayStation news and thoughts, u can't beat these guys. Not even close.

Drayco21

Colin seemed to focus on all the wrong arguments about the PS2 emulation. Sure, I'd have loved the PS2 discs to work, but didn't expect that. The digital PS2 games I already bought on the PS3 like Twisted Metal: Black not carrying over? Fuck that shit- totally unacceptable. My PS1 classics carried over across three Playstation platforms- if you're going to pitch an idea to build a digital library of previous games, limiting the library to hardware and making you rebuy it again seems counter-intuitive to the whole concept.

Edit: Colin later going all in on people manufacturing controversy about gender/race in gaming constantly was fantastic though.

Tankard

Colin seemed to focus on all the wrong arguments about the PS2 emulation. Sure, I'd have loved the PS2 discs to work, but didn't expect that. The digital PS2 games I already bought on the PS3 like Twisted Metal: Black not carrying over? Fuck that shit- totally unacceptable. My PS1 classics carried over across three Playstation platforms- if you're going to pitch an idea to build a digital library of previous games, limiting the library to hardware and making you rebuy it again seems counter-intuitive to the whole concept.

Edit: Colin later going all in on people manufacturing controversy about gender/race in gaming constantly was fantastic though.

You are missing the point that they are not the same game as you bought and played on PS3, these ports are enhanced in visual, with trophy support and other features that you couldn't have as the simple PS2 to PS3 port. Do people expect to get all these remasters coming to PS4 like TLOU, GOW 3 and Uncharted Collection for free because they already bought the game for PS3?

About the episode, i thought it was fantastic, they really expanded their thoughts about the entire PSX with very reasonable thoughts, they were spot on about the compromise in expectations Sony seemed to have with us fans, but we were clearly not on the same page.

Drayco21

You are missing the point that they are not the same game as you bought and played on PS3, these ports are enhanced in visual, with trophy support and other features that you couldn't have as the simple PS2 to PS3 port. Do people expect to get all these remasters coming to PS4 like TLOU, GOW 3 and Uncharted Collection for free because they already bought the game for PS3?

Emulation is not at all comparable to a remaster. Yes, the emulated copy I bought should carry over to the new emulator, and adding some new features to them shouldn't change that.

Tankard

Emulation is not at all comparable to a remaster. Yes, the emulated copy I bought should carry over to the new emulator, and adding some new features to them shouldn't change that.

Why not? It's emulation with better visuals and added features, it's not the same port you played, why should you get it for free? I'm with Colin on this one, i don't understand this request at all.

Well this sounds disappointing but not really surprising.

Drayco21

Why not? It's emulation with better visuals and added features, it's not the same port you played, why should you get it for free? I'm with Colin on this one, i don't understand this request at all.

The whole point of PS Classics was that it was letting us build a library of classic games to play across the modern Playstation systems, and one of the core benefits of the digital future that publishers so desperately want to push is the idea that games are no longer restricted by hardware, and can travel with us, ala PC.

Hence, why it doesn't make any sense to throw all that out with the PS4, and ask us to start over. My copy of Journey became playable on the PS4 for free when that came over- but came with upgraded visuals and new trophies to earn. My copy of Twisted Metal: Black should have done the same if Sony had any interest in getting me to trust their ecosystem for digital distribution.

Well this sounds disappointing but not really surprising.

He later agreed that he understood where people were coming from with Nadine in Uncharted 4, and that there were important things to consider, it was just the jumping down people's throats about the way the middle-eastern characters skin seemed somewhat lighter in the PS4 port of Beyond that got him fired up specifically, if that helps any.

He later agreed that he understood where people were coming from with Nadine in Uncharted 4, and that there were important things to consider, it was just the jumping down people's throats about the way the middle-eastern characters skin seemed somewhat lighter in the PS4 port of Beyond that got him fired up specifically, if that helps any.
Hmm.
Ok

Tankard

The whole point of PS Classics was that it was letting us build a library of classic games to play across the modern Playstation systems, and one of the core benefits of the digital future that publishers so desperately want to push is the idea that games are no longer restricted by hardware, and can travel with us, ala PC.

Hence, why it doesn't make any sense to throw all that out with the PS4, and ask us to start over. My copy of Journey became playable on the PS4 for free when that came over- but came with upgraded visuals and new trophies to earn. My copy of Twisted Metal: Black should have done the same if Sony had any interest in getting me to trust their ecosystem for digital distribution.

Yeah, that happened also to a few other titles, Flower, Trine maybe if i recall those correctly, doesnt make the rule for this situation.
And i disagree with this entire concept of digital future you are mentioning, was it implied that you would get it a free upgrade over titles that are not the same? Again, you keep saying that as they are the same games, the ports are different no matter how you want aknowledge how much of it it is or this fact at all. It just sounds like you and a few (some, many, i don't know) had the wrong expectations for it.

Mezoly

I think the best solution is to pay a small fee for the game if you bought the emulation of that game on PS3. Now Sony is not wrong for charging full price but it would look like a gesture of good will if they did the small fee solution especially with the pressure from xbox with backward compatibility.

Colin Telltales rant was awesome. However, if people didn't get bored from sports, Call of Duty, and Assassin Creed games I don't think they will get bored from Telltale games anytime soon. I also think Telltale games depend on the story more than the gameplay so it's like saying people will get bored from TV shows.

Tankard

I think the best solution is to pay a small fee for the game if you bought the emulation of that game on PS3. Now Sony is not wrong for charging full price but it would seem a gesture of good will.

Absolutely agree with the gesture of goodwill, i loved to have Journey on PS4 for free for having bought the PS3 version, it was awesome.. not only i bought that game on PS3 digitally but also the physical one. Should i be angry if they didn't do that? Of course not.
I know a remastered version isn't the same as emulation, i also know the old ports people played on PS3 are not the same as these.

Drayco21

I know a remastered version isn't the same as emulation, i also know the old ports people played on PS3 are not the same as these.

It is the same game though, just running in an emulator that can uprez the graphics. That's no different than running a PC emulator of these same games. There's no reason that the digital licence we already bought shouldn't carry over like they did with PS1 classics on PS3, PSP and Vita, except Sony knowing that people would suck it up and pay again, or didn't bother the first time and might now.

It's not like I'm losing my mind about it, it's just a huge blow to my trust in Sony's digital service. If I can't trust that my digital purchases will keep working, then I'm better off just going with PC emulation. Hell, if there's something behind the scenes that isn't apparent from Digital Foundry's analysis of the emulator that would justify it, if they had just told us that and ensured that they plan to let us move forward in the future with these, I'd be totally fine. As is, I'm not likely to buy any PS2 Classics that aren't on a major sale, and that disappoints me.

Edit:

At this point, I think the disagreement just boils down to the core value of what we think digital games are/should be. I don't expect my physical N64 carts to work, as Colin argues, because obviously that physical format is changing and evolving- but digital is no longer tied down by those same limitations. If people had to rebuy their Steam games every time they upgraded to a new PC, they'd be irate, because a big part of the idea is that they are no longer tied to these physical concerns. That's what I'm trying to say here; we may disagree on that purpose, but hopefully this at least makes you see where my opinion is coming from more clearly.

Tankard

It is the same game though, just running in an emulator that can uprez the graphics. That's no different than running a PC emulator of these same games. There's no reason that the digital licence we already bought shouldn't carry over like they did with PS1 classics on PS3, PSP and Vita, except Sony knowing that people would suck it up and pay again, or didn't bother the first time and might now.

It's not like I'm losing my mind about it, it's just a huge blow to my trust in Sony's digital service. If I can't trust that my digital purchases will keep working, then I'm better off just going with PC emulation. Hell, if there's something behind the scenes that isn't apparent from Digital Foundry's analysis of the emulator that would justify it, if they had just told us that and ensured that they plan to let us move forward in the future with these, I'd be totally fine. As is, I'm not likely to buy any PS2 Classics that aren't on a major sale, and that disappoints me.

Well, we will agree to disagree on that then.
I say that and i absolutely have no attachment to this situation and to defend sony, i wouldn't buy one of these ports for 3 bucks, that's because if i wanna play them again i will turn my PS2 on and do it.. i simply agree with Colin on this one.
I could argue about the $15 price tag for some of them, but then i would be biased because i have no interest on these ports and my perceived value is obviously different.

krae_man

What about going the Rainbow Moon route and have a discount for people who bought the previous version?

Just a thought.

Colin is more right then the complainers though. Not all of them have insane unrealistic expectations like he implied but most are closer to that end of the spectrum then the rational side.

Hubble

A lot of people say giant bomb podcast is good. It puts me to sleep every time I try to listen to those guys.

I like the cagcast too but I've been listening to them for years (like I have Colin and Greg).

I agree, I tried the Giant Bomb podcast and it did not take hold of me. This one and the Gametrailers GT Time podcast are pretty good.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Nice, thanks for the feedback. When I said "all", I meant this podcast in particular. I assume podcasts in general are like talk radio, where as you said, not all are enjoyable for everyone.

I enjoyed their chemistry from at E3, and I enjoyed it recently at PSX. I am looking forward to episode 13 tomorrow morning at work.

I feel for the people who wanted the FFVII remake to have a combat system that was similar to the original, but the route they're going in definitely doesn't make "no sense".

As I person who loved FFVII when I played it back when I was in middle school, I always imagined in my head that the fights would go down similar to how the remake makes them look. I couldn't help but think about how amazing it would be playing through the game with full 3D environments and fighting enemies in a real time combat system.

I thought I was CRAZY for 1.) Ever expecting a FFVII remake to happen, and even crazier for 2.) Hoping for a theoretical FFVII remake to have a more action oriented combat system.

So yeah, I, like most people, expected a theoretical remake to use pretty much the same ATB, so I definitely understand why people are upset with this. I'm personally stoked, and I think it's the best direction to go with this remake. It's always been something I've deeply wanted.

Game4life

Banned
Greg and Colin are the people to go to for Playstation related content. There is no one among the mainstream guys at least that I know who come even close. Always super fun ppl to listen to.

I loved that Mitchell Morgan didn't skip a beat in tallying up the scores. He was probably so lost without having a Greg and Colin bet to figure out the winner of for months.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lord Tretton made you feel like a G-d, so damned true, lol.

Enjoyed Greg's impressions on the VR for Rez. That is definitely on my radar. Vibration suit with some magic mushrooms would be epic, lol.

I got to the part in the new episode where they talk about the skin tone 'controversy' in Beyond: Two Souls, and I just want to say bravo to Colin for the mini-rant. Agreed on all counts. This "manufactured controversy" as he puts it is just getting ridiculous by now.

androvsky

Yeah, that happened also to a few other titles, Flower, Trine maybe if i recall those correctly, doesnt make the rule for this situation.
And i disagree with this entire concept of digital future you are mentioning, was it implied that you would get it a free upgrade over titles that are not the same? Again, you keep saying that as they are the same games, the ports are different no matter how you want aknowledge how much of it it is or this fact at all. It just sounds like you and a few (some, many, i don't know) had the wrong expectations for it.

Who set those expectations though? The PS3, PSP, and Vita are all completely different in architecture and have different emulators on each one, yet a single PS1 purchase is valid on all three platforms. PS2 games couldn't make it across to two.

And seriously, the VHS tape in a DVD player argument is about the worst strawman argument out there. I think the analogy Colin's looking for is DVD in a Blu-ray player, except that actually works.

I do like how he spent so much effort arguing about the two gens back thing, thereby proving that the PS3 can't play PS1 discs. Bravo, time and space torn asunder by a podcaster.

Just discovered this new podcast a few days ago. It is basically Beyond 2.0. Totally worth listening to . The IGN Beyond is ok but only for small periods of time. I enjoy the critical analysis that Colin and Greg provide. Glad this podcast is back.

killroy87

I was listening to the new podcast, and as much as I like Colin's rants, the one of him going off on these supposed people who think PS2 Classics on PS4 should be free felt like an old man yelling at a stop sign. Who are these people that think they should be free? Who's making that argument? I've seen people say they feel they're overpriced, but I haven't personally seen a large swath of people argue that they should be free if they've already purchased them.

That's not to say that no one has said that, but he spent like 5 solid minutes ranting about it haha. Seemed like a bit of an overreaction.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was listening to the new podcast, and as much as I like Colin's rants, the one of him going off on these supposed people who think PS2 Classics on PS4 should be free felt like an old man yelling at a stop sign. Who are these people that think they should be free? Who's making that argument? I've seen people say they feel they're overpriced, but I haven't personally seen a large swath of people argue that they should be free if they've already purchased them.

That's not to say that no one has said that, but he spent like 5 solid minutes ranting about it haha. Seemed like a bit of an overreaction.

Go in the threads about them. There have been a lot saying if they have the PS3 versions, it should be free on the PS4, as well as discs should work.

He did make a very strong point about buying a cassette or VHS tape. Gamers are fucking fickle. We always have been compared to most other mediums for some odd reason.

I think the just before or with the PS5 they will introduce an ecosystem not unlike iOS or Android with their digital content. Especially with the x86 architecture they seemingly will adopt moving forward. It is where gaming is headed by every platform maker for games as a service.

killroy87

Go in the threads about them. There have been a lot saying if they have the PS3 versions, it should be free on the PS4, as well as discs should work.

He did make a very strong point about buying a cassette or VHS tape. Gamers are fucking fickle. We always have been compared to most other mediums for some odd reason.

Don't get me wrong, he's right. I guess I'm just not seeing these asinine opinions. I consider myself lucky.

Top Bottom