• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You have no idea how game development works or how SSm works.

Maybe I don't but if a game is 70% done and you've already let them get that far along in the game, just let them finish it. After all, it can't be that bad if they (Sony) let them get to 70% to begin with.

prwxv3

Maybe I don't but if a game is 70% done and you've already let them get that far along in the game, just let them finish it. After all, it can't be that bad if they (Sony) let them get to 70% to begin with.

SSM themselves probably started the cancelation conversations.

Mezoly

Sony will not skip both GC and PGW they need a European show. If Sony going to cut one show its going to be PSX.

Also, am I the only one who was happy they showed VR stuff?

ReaperXL7

Sony will not skip both GC and PGW they need a European show. If Sony going to cut one show its going to be PSX.

No, I was glad they showed off VR but it's a double edged sword because your not going to convince people who haven't tried it from stage demos.

If they get it up on stage it looks awkward (though I thought the Rez demo was pretty awesome) if you don't get it on stage people think your not supporting it.

With guys like Dave Lang supporting VR though it will be a runaway success.

You aren't the only one. There are a lot of people who like VR excluding myself and others.

Anyway, I think Sony should cut PGW and do Gamescom as well.

E3, Gamescom, TGS, and PSX should be sufficient enough.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't get Colin's beef with "gamer entitlement," it has no bearing on the core truth of their arguments. Moreover, these are billion dollar corporations, they don't need surrogates standing up for them, let these complaints get hashed out in the marketplace. I could see him calling us out if there was truly no merit but that is not the case here.

PlayStation has long built a reputation for preserving it's legacy, which is enabled through its use of optical media and digital distribution. The PS1 allowed us to use our old games, memory cards, controllers, even multitaps and other accessories. The PS3 then natively supported both its predecessors and even had an adaptor to access the old saves on our memory cards. Later, PS1 Classics purchases carried over to the handheld systems and a great deal of the best PSP games are available digitally, and the license carries over to Vita. Simply put, when there is no compelling reason preventing carrying over the same source code to a new platform, Sony has given us the means to do so. This reflects how it works for almost every other optical media device and digital distribution platform - your content is not handcuffed to obsolete machines. Even worse, Sony already provided a PS2 emulator in the past - there is no convincing rationale for them to withhold it now that they've made improvements on it. In fact, I'm not at all convinced keeping it away from their audience outside of promoted digital releases is all that crucial for their bottom line. If anything, it would legitimize the PS2 library as yet another valuable segment of the PS4 ecosystem.

Sorry, not trying to write a novel and I've already spoken up about it in the other threads but I know Colin reads this one and even if he didn't, it needs to be said regardless.

The question comes down to: Are you entitled to play your old games for free on PS4? The answer is no. Sony doesn't owe you that. They don't owe you anything on that front because no promise was made to the contrary.

You can complain about Sony being greedy or bring up the past or bring up what Microsoft is doing or whatever else you want, but it doesn't change the simple fact that you are not entitled to play these games on your PS4 for free.

JTripper

I entirely agree with what Colin said about "expensive" classics being re-released on PS4.

The criticism with this doesn't even seem to be related to backwards compatibility anymore, but just that people want to complain about the re-release prices. In this case, the vhs/dvd/blu-ray argument is totally valid.

One of the big reasons why I don't have a problem with the prices is because the only games I'll be purchasing (if any) are going to be ones I either have a strong connection to or maybe something someone recommended to me because I want to (re)experience and/or get some trophies. It's not like since there's a $15 price tag you suddenly won't get a game you're unsure about because it seems higher than an original copy or because you feel as if you should get it for free since you may have purchased it previously. If someone really loves a game and wants to replay it with trophies, I doubt $15 is really going to force them away. I mean, say FFX was never released on PS4 and they chose to re-release it this way with trophies, and this is a game I love, I would have no qualms about paying $15 to replay it and earn trophies along the way. And if you REALLY wanted to play any of those classics, you'd be paying about the same for a newly released indie game which may arguably be much shorter and less meaty than a classic PS2 game, since so many people dictate the games they buy based on the amount of content.

Even if the PS4 were backwards compatible with these games, there wouldn't be much difference here because I bet people would still choose to play the visually upgraded, trophy included re-release over an old copy that might look shitty anyway. The backwards compatibility argument in today's gaming community isn't even about playing your old games on your new consoles; it's about just having that feature that makes it seem important. Like when Microsoft announced it for the Xbox One, and Colin has mentioned this before, the fact that they made the effort to do something the Xbox One wasn't made to do and give us that feature was more important as a gesture to the community than it was for people to actually want to go back and play those older games.

I entirely agree with what Colin said about "expensive" classics being re-released on PS4.

The criticism with this doesn't even seem to be related to backwards compatibility anymore, but just that people want to complain about the re-release prices. In this case, the vhs/dvd/blu-ray argument is totally valid.

it's a valid argument, but not one without flaw. it assumes the status quo of physical media should apply, without considering whether said policy is also flawed or not. not only that, but you CAN play old dvds on most bluray players. a direct analog would be if the ps4 played ps2 games without trophies or any add-ons directly off of the disc.

he was also applying the same logic to digital purchases too. ps2 digital classics didn't carry over. he also conveniently forgot that all ps3s played ps1 discs. the argument about cartridges not being compatible is also silly. the ps4 can read cds and dvds, sony has an emulator, therefore it's reasonable to assume they aren't enabling ps2 classic support and/or ps2 disc support is to make more money off of selling these "new" versions. super nintendo games on an n64 wasn't technologically feasible. ps2 classics and/or ps2 discs on ps4 is absolutely feasible. it's an anti consumer decision. point, blank, period. especially the decision to not include ps2 classics, with an option to upgrade for trophy support.

one of the many reasons i'm switching to steam when i have enough disposable income to switch to pc. sony gets a lead and just starts to swing right back into the kind of shit they pulled with ps3 and vita

The question comes down to: Are you entitled to play your old games for free on PS4? The answer is no. Sony doesn't owe you that. They don't owe you anything on that front because no promise was made to the contrary.

You can complain about Sony being greedy or bring up the past or bring up what Microsoft is doing or whatever else you want, but it doesn't change the simple fact that you are not entitled to play these games on your PS4 for free.

it's not about entitlement. it's about doing the most consumer friendly thing. sony is sending a message loud and clear. what you purchase with us is tied to the hardware. that's perfectly within their right as the hardware manufacturer. that doesn't mean they should be immune to criticism for it. the consumer absolutely has the right to say to sony, "we want to use our discs and classics on the ps4." sony has the right to say, "no." even though they shouldn't.

Tankard

No, i also enjoyed and expected even more (like showing more of Robinson etc).

Bolivar687

Banned

Whether anyone is entitled or not has no bearing on whether Sony withholding the emulator is arbitrary and if they should be called out on it.

Even then, it's unreasonable for the discussion to begin and end at whether Sony specifically promised this. Organizations are frequently held to the expectations created by their past conduct and the common practice within their industry. I'm certainly not saying Sony should be held liable for this but they should be scrutinized when their direct competitors, other tech sectors, and even their own past actions have allowed discs and licenses to be carried over when the functionality is there.

They absolutely deserve to be singled out for decisions which are so out of the norm.

Yeah. I enjoyed all the shows two years in a row now and I too thought they showed some surprisingly cool stuff for VR.

Like Rez, Ace Combat, and especially that Golem game which came out of nowhere and looked really cool. And at the previous show like the interesting sounding Robinson that just got mentioned.

Mezoly

He is not.
daniel77733 is joking because my question was kinda dumb. What I should've said is that I see a lot of people were complaining about showing VR games and if Sony didn't show VR games everyone will say that Sony is not serious about VR. So I didn't see people talking about the VR games announcements in positive light so my question was basically to raise that conversation.

sora87

I agree with some people here. PSX should definitely be about playstation specific stuff. Make sure 1-2 of your first parties are ready to show something, even a teaser or virtual slice. Update us on other things, The Last Guardian would have been welcome. Save the indies and third party stuff for Gamescom/PGW. They need to realise who this event is really aimed at.

I can't write much at the moment, but the presentation was definitely dissapointing for the reasons outlined in the podcast. I'm a huge PS fan, but 1) crash troll 2) no bend or first party games 3) epic Moba cg trailer to close the show were all big goofs.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
Someone should do an experiment and lock Colin along with the Bend guys in a room for a day. The ensuing chaos would be spectacular.

Also, on the PSX predictions podcast (the one aired before the event), Colin and Greg seemed excited about two yet to be announced games. We now know one of them was Ni No Kuni 2, what do you guys think the other one is?

GOOCHY

I was listening to the new podcast, and as much as I like Colin's rants, the one of him going off on these supposed people who think PS2 Classics on PS4 should be free felt like an old man yelling at a stop sign. Who are these people that think they should be free? Who's making that argument? I've seen people say they feel they're overpriced, but I haven't personally seen a large swath of people argue that they should be free if they've already purchased them.

That's not to say that no one has said that, but he spent like 5 solid minutes ranting about it haha. Seemed like a bit of an overreaction.

There have been hundreds of posts on GAF alone that argue that people should be able to use their PS2 discs in the PS4. Disc based emulation, basically. It was a non-starter from the word go - Colin is right.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kind of surprised at the way Colin is defending PS2 games on PS4.

Bringing up NES games not working on N64 just seems silly when the physical format is different. Gamecube games do work on the Wii U, for instance, but the physical discs do not due to the change in disc drive.

The PS4 can read PlayStation 2 discs and could simply verify the license and download the appropriate files. This is precisely how 360 compatibility on Xbox One functions - it never actually plays the game FROM the disc, it only uses the disc as verification.

All models of the PlayStation 3 can read PlayStation 1 discs is another thing to consider. He's saying it's ridiculous to expect a new machine to read games from two generations ago...but Sony set those expectations in the first place on PS3.

Even if disc support is impossible, the more troubling issue stems from those that purchased PS2 classics via PSN for use on PS3. I feel that this should at least be available for users.

Basically, Sony set expectations last generation on PS3 with PS1 games (and PS2 compatibility on many models) and there is no physical reason why PS2 games could not be read on a PS4.

This doesn't even cover the fact that some of these games do not work as well as they should. All three GTA games suffer from severe frame-pacing issues, for instance, which feels unacceptable. The fact that European releases are based on PAL releases is even more disappointing.

I honestly never expected PS2 discs to work on PS4 and am not disappointed that it has not come to pass, but I feel that the excuses being thrown around are a bit silly.

There have been hundreds of posts on GAF alone that argue that people should be able to use their PS2 discs in the PS4. Disc based emulation, basically. It was a non-starter from the word go - Colin is right.
PS2 discs in PS4 is exactly how PS1 discs in PS3 functioned last generation. As I've said, the discs could serve as a license check as they do on Xbox One when playing 360 games. The discs are never used for actual gameplay. My point is simply that it should be technically feasible to work AND expectations were set by Sony last generation. Comparing NES games on N64 to this situation is ridiculous since there is a physical barrier there.

I don't think they should be free either, but I was annoyed at his lack of understanding in how this could actually work.

Tidux

Someone should do an experiment and lock Colin along with the Bend guys in a room for a day. The ensuing chaos would be spectacular.

Also, on the PSX predictions podcast (the one aired before the event), Colin and Greg seemed excited about two yet to be announced games. We now know one of them was Ni No Kuni 2, what do you guys think the other one is?

The other was Bends new game.

Thanks but I have seen the panel.

Greg said he had a 1 on 1 with Druckmann and I can't find it. I assumed that was what the poster I replied to was talking about.

They're only posting an interview per day, if I remember correctly. So it will come on their youtube channel in the following days.

Amazing Uncharted panel by the way. It was fun to watch. Nolan North is genuinely funny.

And seeing it has become a discussion here, 15 euro for the GTA games is a bit much. But I hope they will do a lot of sales. Most old games on Steam are also not that cheap, but when they have a sale, it goes very cheap. So I hope it's the same with the PS2 games.

I really hate the viewpoint he put up of E3 and PSX only, 2 shows for American audiences, in America, ran by SCEA.

There a reason the PS4 is selling like it is, and that's because Sony have cultivated a global audience, so doing away with your Eastern and Euro focused shows is just a terrible idea, that could only have come from someone in the US.

People need to stop expecting 5 megatons at every fucking show, that's what needs to be kept in check.

zsynqx

They're only posting an interview per day, if I remember correctly. So it will come on their youtube channel in the following days.

Amazing Uncharted panel by the way. It was fun to watch. Nolan North is genuinely funny.

And seeing it has become a discussion here, 15 euro for the GTA games is a bit much. But I hope they will do a lot of sales. Most old games on Steam are also not that cheap, but when they have a sale, it goes very cheap. So I hope it's the same with the PS2 games.

i think the uncharted one comes out today

Okay, thanks guys.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really hate the viewpoint he put up of E3 and PSX only, 2 shows for American audiences, in America, ran by SCEA.

There a reason the PS4 is selling like it is, and that's because Sony have cultivated a global audience, so doing away with your Eastern and Euro focused shows is just a terrible idea, that could only have come from someone in the US.

People need to stop expecting 5 megatons at every fucking show, that's what needs to be kept in check.
Agreed!

I don't think its unfair to expect at least 1 first party title at each event. We got nothing at PSX. An event thats focused on Playstation. Instead we got 3rd party crap, indies and PS VR stuff. To top it all off, they ended with Paragon; A game that isn't even exclusive to PS4.

Besides Ni No Kuni 2, and FF7 remake. The show was extremely underwhelming for me personally.

The PS4 can read PlayStation 2 discs and could simply verify the license and download the appropriate files. This is precisely how 360 compatibility on Xbox One functions - it never actually plays the game FROM the disc, it only uses the disc as verification.

The PSN wasn't around back then.

I honestly doubt that PS2 games have any sort of license. I mean who knows maybe they do? The expectation/delusion that PS2 games should play on PS4 is ridiculous. That fact that this discussion is coming up now is idiotic imo. Sony said that the PS4 was not backwards compatible before it was release. Its not backwards compatible with any previous Playstation system.

Just because the emulation came out doesn't mean the PS4 will magically be able to read PS4 discs and use them as some sort of verification. The PS2 discs working on PS4 argument is silly and shouldn't of even surv

zsynqx

Yeah, he talks about NeoGAF a lot. He mentioned it during the Uncharted panel. He was reading threads (especially the Nadine thread) the night before the panel.

Yep. I remember him tweeting about the photobomb thread as well. He also gave another shout out to Amy in this interview.

Love interviews with Neil (and Bruce)

Also confirms it has been 15 years since he last saw Sam (Prior to Uncharted 1)

I think the last time he saw Sam alive and the events of Uncharted 1 occurred somewhat in the same time frame, because, in the PSX panel Neil said Nate was 28 during the events of that game. In the interview today, he said Nate is now in his early 40s. If Nate was 28 in U1, that would mean that fifteen years later (in U4), he'd be 43, which is quite a plausible time frame.

androvsky

I honestly doubt that PS2 games have any sort of license. I mean who knows maybe they do? The expectation/delusion that PS2 games should play on PS4 is ridiculous. That fact that this discussion is coming up now is idiotic imo. Sony said that the PS4 was not backwards compatible before it was release. Its not backwards compatible with any previous Playstation system.

Just because the emulation came out doesn't mean the PS4 will magically be able to read PS4 discs and use them as some sort of verification. The PS2 discs working on PS4 argument is silly and shouldn't of even surv

Not to put words in dark10x's mouth, but I believe he's talking about the games Sony is releasing on PSN already anyway, like Dark Cloud or the GTAs, so those would obviously already be licensed for digital distribution. Really, the only difference between what MS is doing and what Sony could do in this method is Sony has Rockstar's support and MS currently doesn't. Kinda points to what's going on and why IMO.

The other way this could work is just emulate the games straight off the disc like Sony did with the PS3 and PS1 games.

Neither of these methods are silly, one is what a competitor is doing, the other is what Sony was doing. Sony said the PS4 wasn't compatible with PS3 games at the PS4 reveal, later that day Yoshida said they weren't ready to reveal their emulation plans for Classics.

And by the way, PS2 games are just DVDs or CDs. You can pop one into a PC's optical drive and read them just fine, or even play them with an open source emulator. There's no magic involved. And yes, the PS4 can obviously read DVDs since it can play DVD movies. It even has the laser for CDs so that's not a problem.

This is the first time Sony's completely ignored backwards compatibility (not counting a few late cross-buy ports), every other system they've made, and every other competing system, has done much more than the PS4. It's reasonable for consumers to expect better.

Bringing up NES games not working on N64 just seems silly when the physical format is different. Gamecube games do work on the Wii U, for instance, but the physical discs do not due to the change in disc drive.

All models of the PlayStation 3 can read PlayStation 1 discs is another thing to consider. He's saying it's ridiculous to expect a new machine to read games from two generations ago...but Sony set those expectations in the first place on PS3.

Even if disc support is impossible, the more troubling issue stems from those that purchased PS2 classics via PSN for use on PS3. I feel that this should at least be available for users.

Basically, Sony set expectations last generation on PS3 with PS1 games (and PS2 compatibility on many models) and there is no physical reason why PS2 games could not be read on a PS4.

This doesn't even cover the fact that some of these games do not work as well as they should. All three GTA games suffer from severe frame-pacing issues, for instance, which feels unacceptable. The fact that European releases are based on PAL releases is even more disappointing.

I honestly never expected PS2 discs to work on PS4 and am not disappointed that it has not come to pass, but I feel that the excuses being thrown around are a bit silly.

PS2 discs in PS4 is exactly how PS1 discs in PS3 functioned last generation. As I've said, the discs could serve as a license check as they do on Xbox One when playing 360 games. The discs are never used for actual gameplay. My point is simply that it should be technically feasible to work AND expectations were set by Sony last generation. Comparing NES games on N64 to this situation is ridiculous since there is a physical barrier there.

I don't think they should be free either, but I was annoyed at his lack of understanding in how this could actually work.

Spot on 100%.

This exactly. I made this exact argument on the KF Facebook page but nobody cared. I'll also add that Colin compared it to PS1 classics and how there was no outrage with that, well the PS3 could play PS1 discs so there was no reason to be upset about PS1 games being digitally available and emulated because you could just use your discs.

He has also criticized Nintendo numerous times for not having cross play and requiring you to re buy games on new hardware that you've already bought digitally.

Do we deserve it? No. Are we entitled to it? No. Has there been a precedent established for backwards compatibility and cross buy? Yes (ironically by Sony specifically). It adds value to your hardware to be able to play your old games. When you have a long history of offering BC and your competitor is offering it for free like you always used to, it's a pretty big bummer. Especially when they want to charge you $15 for each GTA game when you can still, to this day, buy the trilogy set brand new at a Walmart for $20, or get GTA III on Steam for $3.

If it's remastered, I'll buy it again. Emulation? I don't expect you to just give it to me, but it sure makes me want to support your hardware more when you do.

I just hope Sony releases a lot more PS2 classics on PS4 than they did on PS3. There's not all that many of PS3's PSN store, and of those that are, there are many there that I doubt many would consider classics.

Top Bottom