• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

The only thing people seemed to complain about both years (though it didn't really bother me) was the finale. 2014 had Drawn to Death and 2015 had Paragon. I think Drawn to Death had much more chatter about it due to the content, which many on twitter were very, very quick to call juvenile, tasteless, etc. The thing with Paragon was that it didn't feel like the end of the keynote was close. The only reason I had a clue it was the last thing of the show was a tweet from Anthony Carboni, who was hosting the pre and post-show, in which he said the post-show was coming up in a few minutes. Had I not seen that, I would've been really confused.

AmuroChan

Kind of surprised at the way Colin is defending PS2 games on PS4.

Bringing up NES games not working on N64 just seems silly when the physical format is different. Gamecube games do work on the Wii U, for instance, but the physical discs do not due to the change in disc drive.

The PS4 can read PlayStation 2 discs and could simply verify the license and download the appropriate files. This is precisely how 360 compatibility on Xbox One functions - it never actually plays the game FROM the disc, it only uses the disc as verification.

All models of the PlayStation 3 can read PlayStation 1 discs is another thing to consider. He's saying it's ridiculous to expect a new machine to read games from two generations ago...but Sony set those expectations in the first place on PS3.

Even if disc support is impossible, the more troubling issue stems from those that purchased PS2 classics via PSN for use on PS3. I feel that this should at least be available for users.

Basically, Sony set expectations last generation on PS3 with PS1 games (and PS2 compatibility on many models) and there is no physical reason why PS2 games could not be read on a PS4.

This doesn't even cover the fact that some of these games do not work as well as they should. All three GTA games suffer from severe frame-pacing issues, for instance, which feels unacceptable. The fact that European releases are based on PAL releases is even more disappointing.

I honestly never expected PS2 discs to work on PS4 and am not disappointed that it has not come to pass, but I feel that the excuses being thrown around are a bit silly.

PS2 discs in PS4 is exactly how PS1 discs in PS3 functioned last generation. As I've said, the discs could serve as a license check as they do on Xbox One when playing 360 games. The discs are never used for actual gameplay. My point is simply that it should be technically feasible to work AND expectations were set by Sony last generation. Comparing NES games on N64 to this situation is ridiculous since there is a physical barrier there.

I don't think they should be free either, but I was annoyed at his lack of understanding in how this could actually work.

I can kind of understand both sides of the argument. The PS1 game you can play on your PS3 is the exact same game. There are no additional work done to those games. So I absolutely expect them to be free via BC. The PS2 games on PS4 support trophies, Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, etc. Money was spent to add these features. The IP owners probably got a cut to allow Sony to patch their games and these games have to go through QA and cert again. So I'm ok paying for these extra features. Will I buy many of these at full price? Probably not, but I fully expect these to show up regularly on flash sales. So in that sense the prices don't bother me that much.

Been listening to this podcast over the past couple of days. The old podcast Beyond on IGN used to get on my nerves sometimes, Greg would get on my nerves by yelling all the time for no apparent reason.

I find this one to be much more enjoyable. A lot less yelling.

prwxv3

I really hate the viewpoint he put up of E3 and PSX only, 2 shows for American audiences, in America, ran by SCEA.

There a reason the PS4 is selling like it is, and that's because Sony have cultivated a global audience, so doing away with your Eastern and Euro focused shows is just a terrible idea, that could only have come from someone in the US.

People need to stop expecting 5 megatons at every fucking show, that's what needs to be kept in check.
Oh God this. I hope to god that everyone has expectations in check for e3 next year.

androvsky

I can kind of understand both sides of the argument. The PS1 game you can play on your PS3 is the exact same game. There are no additional work done to those games. So I absolutely expect them to be free via BC. The PS2 games on PS4 support trophies, Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, etc. Money was spent to add these features. The IP owners probably got a cut to allow Sony to patch their games and these games have to go through QA and cert again. So I'm ok paying for these extra features. Will I buy many of these at full price? Probably not, but I fully expect these to show up regularly on flash sales. So in that sense the prices don't bother me that much.

Nobody (at least I hope nobody) is expecting trophies for disc emulation for free. Many of the other features like Remote Play, Live Broadcast, and Share Play are handled automatically by the OS. You have to tell it not to do those things if you don't want it, but honestly Sony might feel it's safer to turn those off without permission from the publisher.

I was hoping they'd sell trophy packs for discs or old PS2 Classics. I'd splurge on quite a few at the right price, and it'd let publishers and Sony monetize games that can't be sold digitally for various reasons (like Kingdom Hearts 2). Doesn't help for games where the publisher is gone or their rights to even the title have lapsed, but at least people would be able to play them in HD easily. Sony could even sell the emulator; it'd be worse than what the competition is doing and still be better than what Sony is actually doing.

Nobody (at least I hope nobody) is expecting trophies for disc emulation for free. Many of the other features like Remote Play, Live Broadcast, and Share Play are handled automatically by the OS. You have to tell it not to do those things if you don't want it, but honestly Sony might feel it's safer to turn those off without permission from the publisher.

I was hoping they'd sell trophy packs for discs or old PS2 Classics. I'd splurge on quite a few at the right price, and it'd let publishers and Sony monetize games that can't be sold digitally for various reasons (like Kingdom Hearts 2). Doesn't help for games where the publisher is gone or their rights to even the title have lapsed, but at least people would be able to play them in HD easily. Sony could even sell the emulator; it'd be worse than what the competition is doing and still be better than what Sony is actually doing.

Selling only trophy packs would appeal to a VERY limited subset of people.

TKM

I really hate the viewpoint he put up of E3 and PSX only, 2 shows for American audiences, in America, ran by SCEA.

There a reason the PS4 is selling like it is, and that's because Sony have cultivated a global audience, so doing away with your Eastern and Euro focused shows is just a terrible idea, that could only have come from someone in the US.

Truly. I would hate to see industry coverage become even more US centric. Focusing on the US and US tastes already feeds the "PS4 has no games" fallacy. PS4 has more exclusives, more games, and across a wider range of tastes than XBO. It's not even close.

E3/PSX only is absolutely daft and gives away Sony's biggest advantage. I love seeing stuff like Whiteday for PSVR shown at the Playstation South Korea conference. There's no room for that at E3 or PSX.

Zukkoyaki

Here's Colin sitting down with SCEA's Scott Rohde to discuss Sony's American studios. I think this is my favorite video of this series so far! Dude is such an epic tease, and it's made sweeter by how desperate Colin is for information on Bend's game haha.

What he says about Bend, Sucker Punch, and Santa Monica got me super pumped. I can't wait to see what all three are working on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS2butFAy10

Zukkoyaki

Don't support these guys so no clicks from me, but what was said?

Bend's game is at the stage where all the ideas that they formulated either are coming together or have already come together. Scott says that the entire studio is extremely excited about the project and can't wait to show it off whenever he drops by. He also said that the studio is getting incredibly eager to show it to the public. The most compelling thing he said though is that Colin's prediction that Bend's game will be their big coming out party like Sucker Punch with Infamous 2 is spot on. Scott, the Bend team, and Sony seem to have a lot of excitement for and confidence in this game.

Sucker Punch's new game is at a similar stage as Bend but a bit earlier in the process; makes sense considering they shipped two releases in 2014. He kinda played coy with whether it's a new IP or another Infamous game. Did a remarkable job not hinting in either direction.

Santa Monica's game has Scott excited... like really excited. I'm sure it could just be on a personal level but this is the one he seemed the most giddy about and can't wait for everyone to see what it is.

Obviously nothing concrete, but it seems that all three studios have projects that are currently in very good shape. If there's anything Scott is good at it's getting everyone exciting without saying anything.

Really liked that Rohde interview, he's a good speaker, he seems super excited about the games. I guess we can expect Santa Monica & Bend between now and E3, seems like those projects are locked in, clear, and just biding their time for announcement. Sucker Punch, feels like he was saying the game is actually still somewhat malleable, could change to an extend, so I wouldn't expect them til PGW next year, maybe further. They have shipped twice on PS4 already, they did a good job, I don't mind them stepping into the shadows for sometime. Good stuff.

newjeruse

Colin's obsession with "the Sony Bend game" is over-the-top at this point. Greg was correct on this week's podcast when he said that he and Colin basically created their own echo chamber to build up these rumors over the last two months. The idea that this was Sony Bend's "time" is ridiculous. We have no idea what they're working on and what scope it requires. Ultimately, the difference between them showing it at PSX or E3 is irrelevant.

Don't support these guys so no clicks from me, but what was said?
Well it certainly is very nice of you to walk into the community thread, say that to them and the fans, get your information and be gone uh. Welp. You're dismissed.

Great interview. There seemed to be a great chemistry between the two, which made for a fun 15mins. Keep these coming!

neilgif7nssx.gif

Really enjoyed the interview

Da Fuq?

And why is that since you want to information to be typed to you in their community thread?

"I don't support them, but I want their content" lol, ridiculous. I don't support chick fil a, I'm not gonna have somebody else buy me a sandwich.

Anyways, the interview with Scott was great if only because seeing him get excited got me excited.
He mentioned inFamous First Light was his favorite game "on the platform" did he mean infamous game, sucker punch game, or PS4 game? I love First Light too, just thought it was an interesting choice.

Wow writing this has made me want to replay infamous. Still holding out hope for a multiplayer title in that universe in the future

I think they have two or three interviews left. I know they have one with Shannon Studstill who runs Santa Monica Studio, as well as one with David Jaffe. I'm not sure if there are any others they mentioned.

I think they have two or three interviews left. I know they have one with Shannon Studstill who runs Santa Monica Studio, as well as one with David Jaffe. I'm not sure if there are any others they mentioned.
This was their Youtube comment for the Shu interview -

Hope you enjoy this break from let's plays! Over the next two weeks, we'll have interviews with...
- Neil Druckmann
- Keiji Inafune
- David Jaffe
- Scott Rohde
- Shannon Studstill
- Christian Phillips

This was their Youtube comment for the Shu interview -

Ah, thanks. I knew I was forgetting some. I remember the tweet that showed Colin interviewing Keiji Inafune. I'm sure the Christian Phillips (from Sony San Diego) interview will cover Guns Up!, Killstrain, Drawn to Death (despite the Jaffe interview), as well as maybe some MLB: The Show.

Interested in listening to the interview with Inafune. We all know Colin loves his past works, but his recent kickstarter stuff doesn't seem to be impressing him all that much. I want to hear what these two talked about.

Ah, thanks. I knew I was forgetting some. I remember the tweet that showed Colin interviewing Keiji Inafune. I'm sure the Christian Phillips (from Sony San Diego) interview will cover Guns Up!, Killstrain, Drawn to Death (despite the Jaffe interview), as well as maybe some MLB: The Show.
No problem!

Speaking of Guns Up!, I started playing yesterday and I think it is a neat "breather" game you can boot up as a break from a major title. I am curious to see just how far they will go with this F2P initiative. It would be nice if they could make something of it.

No problem!

Speaking of Guns Up!, I started playing yesterday and I think it is a neat "breather" game you can boot up as a break from a major title. I am curious to see just how far they will go with this F2P initiative. It would be nice if they could make something of it.

Well, I think all the San Diego game I listed (apart from MLB, of course) are F2P. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Jaffe mentioned that there will be no paid DLC for Drawn to Death. I must've misheard him because that would not seem to make much business sense to release a game for free without any way to earn some sort of revenue.

Very interesting to see what Jaffe is up to with Drawn to Death.

He hasn't seem to find a lot of success since going independent. I'm wondering if he really needed a break from AAA development versus just doing his own thing. He used to speak about making games that move you to cry, finding your spark, etc...Very interesting guy all around, and made some classic games.

Would love to see him have another great success as an independent dev.

I love listening to Colin and Greg(fellow Mizzou alum).

Can't wait to see what they have to say about PS4 winning November NPD after Colin bashed Sony and predicted Xbox to dominate again.

I love listening to Colin and Greg(fellow Mizzou alum).

Can't wait to see what they have to say about PS4 winning November NPD after Colin bashed Sony and predicted Xbox to dominate again.

Do you watch Colin and Greg Live at all? He's talked the holiday there extensively. He says that for XB1 to stay relevant, it needs to "win" at least two of the three holiday months (October, November, and December). He said that if PS4 wins December, PS4 will probably never be surpassed by XB1.

killroy87

Do you watch Colin and Greg Live at all? He's talked the holiday there extensively. He says that for XB1 to stay relevant, it needs to "win" at least two of the three holiday months (October, November, and December). He said that if PS4 wins December, PS4 will probably never be surpassed by XB1.

God bless Colin, that sounds like an incredibly arbitrary sales goal that he just randomly thought up.

Mezoly

God bless Colin, that sounds like an incredibly arbitrary sales goal that he just randomly thought up.

Lol yup. If xbox has won all three months it doesn't mean it will catch up if the margin is low and it kept losing all the other months. I think Microsoft need to spread their releases of exclusives and try to win the other months.

Honestly, it is becoming baffling to me why the media is so focused on the holidays. I get it is the biggest selling months but it doesn't mean you could lose all the other months and catch up. Even more so, Microsoft releasing exclusives in the holidays is hurting these exclusive games. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Sunset Overdrive would've done better in the spring time. I think Uncharted and Quantum Break will do better in the spring than the holidays against Fallout, COD, Battlefront, etc. Look at how good Dying Light did in January.

Aces&Eights

Man, that mocap is absolutely stunning. The voice acting, subtle movements when the brothers are talking and the graphics are just mind blowingly good. I was already psyched for this game but after watching the new clips I am full on in hypetrain mode.

DKHF

IIRC the logic behind it was that if MS can't win the holiday months when their exclusive lineup is about as strong as it can be with their biggest franchise Halo (and Tomb Raider timed exclusivity) vs no "big exclusives" from Sony then they will never overtake PS4.

a916

I really wish Colin would stop bringing up that really strange narrative that Titanfall struggled to maintain it's player base because it didn't have a single player.

6-8 hours, you're done the SP. It's not going to maintain a player base 4 months down the road, you do that with varied game modes, a deep player progression in multiplayer.

He prefaced it by saying if MS can't win the sales war with Sony's lack of big exclusives this winter vs XB biggest guns being able to run unabated (Halo, Forza and Gears remake), then he doesn't forsee anything big helping XB1.

Which makes sense... MS had an opening here and they still "lost".

newjeruse

Watching the Scott Rohde interview... I don't think we're going to see the Bend game for a while. He used the word 'prototyping' a bunch and explicitly said they were in the stage right after creating a prototype. That doesn't sound like a game ready for an E3 unveil in six months. Even Sucker Punch's game didn't sound like it was very far past that stage either.

SSM sounds like a definite E3 reveal though.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
Welcome.

Also, for those who disagreed with Colin's views on FFVII Remake and PSX, I encourage you to view this week's gamescast. Here Tim puts out a stubborn defence on behalf of the remake and I enjoyed their argument very much. What I like about Colin is his views are malleable, if you present strong evidence to the contrary. Like how he himself acknowledges Sony having two conferences a year (E3, PSX) is not a viable option keeping in mind the global audience. This is why I am hoping there would be more guest appearances from industry experts and devs in PS I Love You in 2016. Differing opinions would lead to healthy arguments which is good for everyone.

Welcome.

Also, for those who disagreed with Colin's views on FFVII Remake and PSX, I encourage you to view this week's gamescast. Here Nick puts out a stubborn defence on behalf of the remake and I enjoyed their argument very much. What I like about Colin is his views are malleable, if you present strong evidence to the contrary. Like how he himself acknowledges Sony having two conferences a year (E3, PSX) is not a viable option keeping in mind the global audience. This is why I am hoping there would be more guest appearances from industry experts and devs in PS I Love You in 2016. Differing opinions would lead to healthy arguments which is good for everyone.

Nick or Tim?

I expect Tim to speak for me on this one lol.

DKHF

Welcome.

Also, for those who disagreed with Colin's views on FFVII Remake and PSX, I encourage you to view this week's gamescast. Here Tim puts out a stubborn defence on behalf of the remake and I enjoyed their argument very much. What I like about Colin is his views are malleable, if you present strong evidence to the contrary. Like how he himself acknowledges Sony having two conferences a year (E3, PSX) is not a viable option keeping in mind the global audience. This is why I am hoping there would be more guest appearances from industry experts and devs in PS I Love You in 2016. Differing opinions would lead to healthy arguments which is good for everyone.
Having watched this I was definitely on Tim's side of the argument. Colin thinks Square isn't treating it with enough care by having CyberConnect2 assisting with the game and that SE isn't giving fans an FF game from the "FF team"... Kitase, Nojima and Nomura all had huge roles in the development of the original FFVII and this is pretty much their full time project now, so I think Square is taking this very seriously. And he also said that Square admitted CyberConnect and their vision for the game was not the same, which is not true. Kitase said their "production tastes" differ as companies in general and Nomura said that he didn't like the original direction of the new trailer and changed it to meet SE's style, not that he didn't like their vision for the game.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
Nostalgia, for me, is a double edged sword. The potential for remaking timeless classics is huge but it can just as easily come back to bite you in the ass. Square has to walk a tightrope between retaining the trust of FF faithful as well as gaining the attention of an younger generation. This game is not going to be everything for everyone, I'm just hoping it at least does best at what it's trying.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the financial angle. If the complete game turns out to be $100 or more, then God help us.

Alucrid

Banned
Colin's obsession with "the Sony Bend game" is over-the-top at this point. Greg was correct on this week's podcast when he said that he and Colin basically created their own echo chamber to build up these rumors over the last two months. The idea that this was Sony Bend's "time" is ridiculous. We have no idea what they're working on and what scope it requires. Ultimately, the difference between them showing it at PSX or E3 is irrelevant.
Yeah a lot of his obsessions were weird like asking for more horizon, tlg (despite Sony saying they won't talk about it more) or Detroit. Then saying Sony should announce the last of us 2 even if its still years away.

Top Bottom