• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Colin preaching the truth about this whole FF7R debacle. Thank you good sir.
While I think he might be right, I think the choice of action for now is to wait it out. Wait it out until we get a good glimpse of information on what the world is, how big it is, how long the single player is for the first disc etc. If they make 2 or 3 full 40 hour parts of the game releasing every 1.5 years, I'm completely fine with it. I do hope they bump up the graphics a bit before releasing it though. I will try to not see anything since I have yet to play FFVII.

Why do you always share the link again even if someone beats you to it? Not criticizing, but I've seen you do it a few times, just wondering why.

I didn't see it posted, even though I hit refresh. Firefox acts weird sometimes for me when I reopen it after it's been closed. I thought it was weird that there were no links. Yours didn't show up for me as posted until after I posted my link.

While I think he might be right, I think the choice of action for now is to wait it out. Wait it out until we get a good glimpse of information on what the world is, how big it is, how long the single player is for the first disc etc. If they make 2 or 3 full 40 hour parts of the game releasing every 1.5 years, I'm completely fine with it. I do hope they bump up the graphics a bit before releasing it though. I will try to not see anything since I have yet to play FFVII.

I was actually talking about how they said the game wouldn't fit in one disc. Just like Colin said, is it being implied that FF VII was bigger than FF XV is going to be? Cuz that game isn't going to be episodic. I am not complaining about it and I'm not gonna take a side, but it's a good point. I think that saying that the game does not fit in one disc is kind of a lame excuse. Tell us that you want to put the game out quicker for us. Tell us that you are planning on adding more content. Tell us how much of that content is going to be split, and how many discs it will be split in. Those are all real things that we all could believe in. I agree that all we can do is wait, but saying that FF VII does not fit in one disc sounds fishy to me, even with all the extra content they plan on putting in.

I hope they are saying the truth though and that we are wrong. But if it turns out that the parts are all 11hrs long with a bunch of meaningless side-quests in there as padding, SE can't come crying to us, they shot themselves in the foot.

I was actually talking about how they said the game wouldn't fit in one disc. Just like Colin said, is it being implied that FF VII was bigger than FF XV is going to be? Cuz that game isn't going to be episodic. I am not complaining about it and I'm not gonna take a side, but it's a good point. I think that saying that the game does not fit in one disc is kind of a lame excuse. Tell us that you want to put the game out quicker for us. Tell us that you are planning on adding more content. Tell us how much of that content is going to be split, and how many discs it will be split in. Those are all real things that we all could believe in. I agree that all we can do is wait, but saying that FF VII does not fit in one disc sounds fishy to me, even with all the extra content they plan on putting in.

I hope they are saying the truth though and that we are wrong. But if it turns out that the parts are all 11hrs long with a bunch of meaningless side-quests in there as padding, SE can't come crying to us, they shot themselves in the foot.
My optimistic view is that they expand the content significantly into 2-3 different 40 hour parts. Otherwise, I'll just wait and play the full edition 4-5 years from now. Either way works for me, though I'm hoping they're full parts so I can enjoy it earlier than usual. This might be a case like XIII with 3 parts, but you know.. have characters and a story that people give a shit about.

TheCowboyPoet said:
So is this the last PSILY of the year?? Or will they keep going in the holidays like they would occasionally do with Beyond.
They address it right in the beginning of the video. I think they're making all the videos on the 18th recording two extra videos. Then they will release each video every Tuesday.

Excellent video. The Kinda Funny crew have become my go-to place for informative, entertaining, well-constructed content. These guys 'get it'.

Long may it continue.

As a burnt out newspaper journalist, I am jealous of the freedom they have. Live the dream my friends.

Man Greg really loves that taco game, huh? It looks fun, though it looks like a taco-themed ripoff of Chubbigan's (a NeoGAF user) Cook, Serve, Delicious.

sora87

I totally agree with everything my boy Colin M said about FF7. Still have no idea how they're gonna handle the world map and revisiting old locations

Colin preaching the truth about this whole FF7R debacle. Thank you good sir.

His comparison between XV and FF7remake hurt his own argument. if Square Enix were just trying to milk the FF fans with extra releases why not do it with FFXV? They arent even doing paid DLC or microtransactions for that game, that is unheard of in the AAA space, and he still thinks that game has been in development for 10 years when SE has come out multiple times saying it didnt start full development until late 2011, and didnt switch to PS4 development until late 2012.

kadotsu

Banned
His comparison between XV and FF7remake hurt his own argument. if Square Enix were just trying to milk the FF fans with extra releases why not do it with FFXV? They arent even doing paid DLC or microtransactions for that game, that is unheard of in the AAA space, and he still thinks that game has been in development for 10 years when SE has come out multiple times saying it didnt start full development until late 2011, and didnt switch to PS4 development until late 2012.

This is a huge problem with most publishers/developers from Japan. Most interviews aren't translated by the big sites so the AAA enthusiast press is oblivious to it. They just see that vs XIII was announced 2006 and think it was in full production since then. While XV obviously was in development hell for a long time the reason for it was most likely XIV's need to be remade from ground up and Wada's stupid move to bet all on Lightning to recoup XIII's dev cost by heavy asset reuse.
Same with Platinum games. Most people think they are developing Star Fox Zero but in reality they are just providing support in asset creation.

KalBalboa

Banned
I think FFVII was obviously created at a time when development costs to create a game that large weren't as steep. Cloud is, what, a dozen polygons in the original game? Maybe less? Static backgrounds images, midi files, no voice acting? Etc.

The sheer risk of putting $50-100 million into a full on FFVII remake in 2015 and knowing it would take 4-5 years to see dime one in return is enough to explain away why they're going episodic, too. Who knows if newcomers will pick this game up, and hopefully the episodes are cheaper than a normal retail release in order to make it easier to jump on.

It's all so very, very hypothetical right now though.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, I don't agree with Colin on ff7.

Ff7 is a massive game, and witcher 3 is no comparison. Ff7 has like 15 unique towns alone.

Ff7 has a ton of mini games, unique enemies, etc. You are always doing something new.

Recreating it in one shot would be a massive undertaking unless, like kitase says, major portions of it were cut. I mean, look at those cutscenes. They are fucking gorgeous and nothing comes close. If they need to break this game into multiple parts to maintain that same level of quality, then so be it.

Witcher 3 is probably bigger and has more content, but when it comes down to unique assets, FFVII probably beats it on that front. I don't know for sure though. Haven't played the Witcher 3.

Cleve

Man they went real hard on justifying saying that battleborn looks like shit. Just say it, it's gonna get stomped by overwatch.

If only Randy had more of Sega's money to funnel in to it.

Arzehn

So, I've haven't been following the FF7 threads, mostly because I don't care about drama surrounding the game, so I haven't seen what others are saying but I must disagree with what Colin's saying here.

If you turn all of the 2d backdrops in FF7 into fully 3d explorable environments then yes it's going bigger project than FF15.
It's not a matter of game length or disk space, it's a matter of man hours. It's not that FF7 is bigger than other RPGs from this that era. If you did a remake of FF9, Xenogears, or Chrono Cross you would have the same problem. The environments just have more variety because it was easier (less man hours) to make low poly graphics/textures or simply 2d backdrops.

How many environment types have we seen in FF15? How many different palettes? So far a very disappointing amount.

Goodluck turning all these into expanded explorable areas:
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/

Colin, I just don't think this a situation where Square Enix simply is trying to nickel and dime us but rather they just don't want to lose money on this while still giving us what we asked for.

So, I've haven't been following the FF7 threads, mostly because I don't care about drama surrounding the game, so I haven't seen what others are saying but I must disagree with what Colin's saying here.

If you turn all of the 2d backdrops in FF7 into fully 3d explorable environments then yes it's going bigger project than FF15.
It's not a matter of game length or disk space, it's a matter of man hours. It's not that FF7 is bigger than other RPGs from this that era. If you did a remake of FF9, Xenogears, or Chrono Cross you would have the same problem. The environments just have more variety because it was easier (less man hours) to make low poly graphics/textures or simply 2d backdrops.

How many environment types have we seen in FF15? How many different palettes? So far a very disappointing amount.

Goodluck turning all these into expanded explorable areas:
http://www.glitterberri.com/content/ff_series/ffvii/prerenders/

Colin, I just don't think this a situation where Square Enix simply is trying to nickel and dime us but rather they just don't want to lose money on this while still giving us what we asked for.

Well for one, we don't know how big FFXV is, and can't really say how much variety they will have as of yet. I think what we've seen so far is pretty decent in that department actually. (Assuming they aren't trying to spoil every location for us in pre release stuff) I personally think the game will be fine in that regard, especially considering pretty much everything we've been seeing are from earlier parts of the game.

(speculative marks based off of geographical features on the map)
TWJN2ZH.jpg

Pics

And this recently seen concept art of an area in the Tenebre region.

Witcher 3 is probably bigger and has more content, but when it comes down to unique assets, FFVII probably beats it on that front. I don't know for sure though. Haven't played the Witcher 3.

the dude who wrote in to ps i love you was right, modern open world games and big RPGs reuse the fuck out of existing assets. remaking FF7 would require more resources.

it's funny because they are actually being too honest. final fantasy XV will be a massive game, but like any similar game made these days, they will reuse assets to achieve this, moreso than big RPGs of the past like FF7. he's certainly right that they probably shouldn't have said that from a PR standpoint, but he missed the fact that it is true that modern game development is simply too expensive to not cut corners like devs do

I agree with those saying that Colin is wrong with his assumptions on FF7R, there is a vast difference between that and other games he compared it to.

FF7 has lots of unique towns, unique monsters, various mini games, massive in scope and yes FF15 will most likely be similar but we honestly dont know how big it is, i think while it will be big it wont be as big as if FF7 would be remade but thats a guess.

And the idea that "a game made in 1997" couldnt be big by today's standards is quite confusing, i mean FF7 had 2d backgrounds that are going to be made into fully 3D areas, textures are infinitely more complex than they were back then,and all the other points mentioned so to do that at the graphical level we have seen is going to scale a lot higher than it would if it was a simple conversion.

I just think that peoples problem with the news stems from 3 issues:

• The word 'episodic' makes them think of Telltale style games and so they think its a cash grab and/or will have a smaller amount of content.
  • The idea that if it is full sized games, they dont like the idea of having to buy up to 3 full priced games for 1 remastered game.
  • They honestly dont have a real grasp on the differences and complexity of games development today compared to 20 years ago or at least arent taking it into consideration enough.

I was a little taken back when i first heard the news but after thinking about it, i feel that it has the potential to really make something special out of the game, adding more content and emphasizing the importance of certain events by splitting the game up at crucial events
Like ending game 1 where you first see the world map and leave Midgar, or ending Game 2 where Areith dies etc.

Could it all go wrong? Of course, nothing is for certain but some people just cant help but be pessimistic when logically they dont have enough knowledge yet to be so.

YukihiraSouma

Neo Member
Those crackers looked enticing :p

I think Colin is doing what he wanted Sony to do during the PSX keynote, bring all first parties on stage one by one and let them talk a bit about themselves and their current projects. Good attitude, if Shuu won't listen to my pleas I'll just do it myself. lol

It's amusing how much pull they have with Sony. Colin has admitted to not being a huge GOW fan and criticized PSX several times and he had the president of SMS insist twice early in the interview that he visit them for an exclusive tour. Good on them, well earned. :)

I was hoping Colin would ask her in regards to AAA though. What happened to the new IP that didn't work out? Does SMS have a second team since many people were fired after that IP didn't work out, or are they working exclusively on GOW?

Hearing Colin destroy square Enix over the FF7 bullshit was spectacular.

This guy knows his stuff

He literally doesnt on this topic. He knows nothing about the game or budget. Hes just assuming SE is trying to screw over FF fans.

The same publisher that I remind you, is selling FFXV in 1 part, no paid dlc, and no microtransactions. Which is pretty unheard of for a large game in this day and age.

It's amusing how much pull they have with Sony. Colin has admitted to not being a huge GOW fan and criticized PSX several times and he had the president of SMS insist twice early in the interview that he visit them for an exclusive tour. Good on them, well earned. :)

I was hoping Colin would ask her in regards to AAA though. What happened to the new IP that didn't work out? Does SMS have a second team since many people were fired after that IP didn't work out, or are they working exclusively on GOW?

SSM is the 3rd or 4th biggest studio with over 200 employees ever after the layoffs.

I'm sure they have two separate teams working on different projects.

Tankard

Great last episode, i loved the VR talk, every day i get more and more excited to try PS VR and the Rift and its possibilities even outside of gaming, i can't wait to have my NFL experience in a enhanced way with VR.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah, a little disappointed with Shannon's interview. Was hoping for Colin to talk about the cancelled IP and AAA and where that's at for the studio as it's been nearly 3 years since there's been any output on that front.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with Colin more on something gaming related than on this Final Fantasy VII issue, and I've listened to ALL episodes of Beyond. I barely feel like a Square apologist and more like I'm constantly trying to combat misinformation, labeling, and some ridiculous assumptions. They're just making games to the size and scope that they always have while '97 vs '15 sensibilities got in the way of it converting one to one. What the fuck is so egregious based on what they've said?

Yeah, a little disappointed with Shannon's interview. Was hoping for Colin to talk about the cancelled IP and AAA and where that's at for the studio as it's been nearly 3 years since there's been any output on that front.

I don't think that's the venue for that kind of deeper interview. Maybe they can do one whenever Colin visits the studio.

Can't say I 100% agree with Colin on FFVIIRe, but I also find it hard to disagree with his point of view.

If I knew more about US politics, I'd love to debate politics with him.

Raylan

Banned
SSM is the 3rd or 4th biggest studio with over 200 employees ever after the layoffs.

I'm sure they have two separate teams working on different projects.
At Naughty Dog, over 200 people are working on Uncharted 4 right now. The next God of War game isn't "smaller" than Uncharted 4. So "over 200 people" doesn't mean 2 teams.

Can people stop repeating that? There's a group working on another game at the moment. They've been doing this since 2009. Neil himself was working on 3 separate prototypes and wouldn't have even worked on Uncharted 4 until Amy got fired.

Dominator

Can people stop repeating that? There's a group working on another game at the moment. They've been doing this since 2009. Neil himself was working on 3 separate prototypes and wouldn't have even worked on Uncharted 4 until Amy got fired.
Not gonna bother looking but I remember reading that after Last of Us everyone folded back into 1 team to finish Uncharted 4.

I'm sure a few people are working on something else, but majority of people are on Uncharted 4 I'd bet.

zsynqx

Not gonna bother looking but I remember reading that after Last of Us everyone folded back into 1 team to finish Uncharted 4.

I'm sure a few people are working on something else, but majority of people are on Uncharted 4 I'd bet.

I imagine they had a small team prototyping the next game but for the last few months everyone will be helping finish UC4. I reckon half the team will split off after that ships and work on the new game while the other half does the dlc.

At Naughty Dog, over 200 people are working on Uncharted 4 right now. The next God of War game isn't "smaller" than Uncharted 4. So "over 200 people" doesn't mean 2 teams.

Never said over 200 meant that they had 2 teams. I was merely implying that they had over 200 employees.

Zukkoyaki

Naughty Dog has another huge project that's at least in pre-production, Evan Wells said that himself: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/02/naughty-dog-reveals-it-has-a-new-game-in-development

While you are most likely correct that the significant majority of the studio is crunching to wrap Uncharted, that definitely isn't the only thing cooking over there.

Top Bottom