• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Please be a new IP. Carry on that Naughty Dog tradition.

I want to see either a sci-fi based game or a buddy cop game. I think the latter could deftly blend Naughty Dog's knack for creating humorous moments as well as dark, depressing, emotionally charged moments, which would work well in that genre. I'd hold off on a sci-fi based game since, for all we know, Amy Hennig's Star Wars game might be an Uncharted-esque game (similar to what Star Wars: 1313 looked to be shaping up to be). That timing wouldn't feel right to me if they launched a game similar in genre and tone. I'm sure if they did a sci-fi game, they'd use the Savage Starlight franchise they created within The Last of Us.

meanspartan

Jak 4. Please be Jak 4.

(I know it is Last of Us 2, but I can dream)

They're never making another Jak. They tried and it just didn't work out. Honestly, your best hope for a new Jak is from another studio. As for TLOU 2, that's quite possible, but not guaranteed. I think they could release another game between Uncharted 4 and (the hypothetical TLOU 2), so Neil and Bruce and recharge. Remember, they were not originally part of the U4 team. So, I could see another team start another game, while Neil and Bruce decompress after U4 and then try to come up with a worthy TLOU sequel plot/story.

Personally I think a new Jak game could work, however it would need to be an absolute reboot. There could be no attachment to the cartoony aspect of the original series. For instance, Daxter would need to be a more realistic looking creature, but with less cartoony expressions (think Rocket Racoon from Guardians of the Galaxy). I think J&D would then have to be really presented as a sci-fi escapade with wonderfully inventive alien species, but look like they could be straight out of a live action movie and not a cartoon. This is the only way I think a next-gen Jak and Daxter would work. I know hardcore fans would hate it though.

Curufinwe

I read in the NPD thread that after E3 Colin predicted the PS4 would be hurt in November by the lack of first party exclusives. Anyone here remember that or have a link?

I read in the NPD thread that after E3 Colin predicted the PS4 would be hurt in November by the lack of first party exclusives. Anyone here remember that or have a link?

Both Colin and Greg predicted it. Most people seemed to have predicted it. The thing is, to the average consumer first party, second party, third party, whatever... it doesn't matter to them. When a particular game is associated with a console, it can do wonders. Sony's marketing deals with EA (Star Wars: Battlefront), Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate), Activision (Call of Duty: Black OPS III, Guitar Hero Live), SquareEnix (Just Cause 3), etc. were huge for them. The bundles were big. The price drop (which many kept saying was not happening any time soon) was absolutely huge. And Sony did all this with no major first party games.

camac002

Jak 4. Please be Jak 4.

(I know it is Last of Us 2, but I can dream)

I would love a Jak4 or similar but I don`t want ND to make it. What a waste that would be, everything they have learnt over these years. In fact, on the trajectory they are on, it`s even hard to imagine them creating a game as "light-hearted" as Uncharted 1. It will be TLOU2 and then new IP.

Curufinwe

Both Colin and Greg predicted it. Most people seemed to have predicted it. The thing is, to the average consumer first party, second party, third party, whatever... it doesn't matter to them. When a particular game is associated with a console, it can do wonders. Sony's marketing deals with EA (Star Wars: Battlefront), Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate), Activision (Call of Duty: Black OPS III, Guitar Hero Live), SquareEnix (Just Cause 3), etc. were huge for them. The bundles were big. The price drop (which many kept saying was not happening any time soon) was absolutely huge. And Sony did all this with no major first party games.

Honestly I think most Gaffers who spend a reasonable amount of time in NPD threads have a better handle on the market than the American games media who seem perpetually out of touch.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with Colin more on something gaming related than on this Final Fantasy VII issue, and I've listened to ALL episodes of Beyond. I barely feel like a Square apologist and more like I'm constantly trying to combat misinformation, labeling, and some ridiculous assumptions. They're just making games to the size and scope that they always have while '97 vs '15 sensibilities got in the way of it converting one to one. What the fuck is so egregious based on what they've said?

Agreed.

I usually agree with Colin on a lot of game stuff but not this FF7R issue nor Greg and his couple of super weird "Gravity Rush 2 looks like a Vita game" (when both visually and gameplay system wise it seems to have gotten significant upgrades) rants that got in two episodes.

Heimbeck

Banned
Honestly I think most Gaffers who spend a reasonable amount of time in NPD threads have a better handle on the market than the American games media who seem perpetually out of touch.

Why do you think Colin keeps coming here?
He knows that we are always right.

Why do you think Colin keeps coming here?
He knows that we are always right.

He has been mentioning NeoGAF a lot lately on their various shows/podcasts. Must be reading a lot. Don't blame him. There's a lot of great discussions to be had. Wish he'd post more here, though. To be fair, when he does post, his posts usually are massive with many replies to other posts, so that's pretty cool.

meanspartan

They're never making another Jak. They tried and it just didn't work out. Honestly, your best hope for a new Jak is from another studio. As for TLOU 2, that's quite possible, but not guaranteed. I think they could release another game between Uncharted 4 and (the hypothetical TLOU 2), so Neil and Bruce and recharge. Remember, they were not originally part of the U4 team. So, I could see another team start another game, while Neil and Bruce decompress after U4 and then try to come up with a worthy TLOU sequel plot/story.

Personally I think a new Jak game could work, however it would need to be an absolute reboot. There could be no attachment to the cartoony aspect of the original series. For instance, Daxter would need to be a more realistic looking creature, but with less cartoony expressions (think Rocket Racoon from Guardians of the Galaxy). I think J&D would then have to be really presented as a sci-fi escapade with wonderfully inventive alien species, but look like they could be straight out of a live action movie and not a cartoon. This is the only way I think a next-gen Jak and Daxter would work. I know hardcore fans would hate it though.

Why?

Of course it could keep its "look" but with improved tech, Ratchet and Clank is doing it just fine.

As much as I love Last of Us, the Jak series is clearly Naughty Dog's best work in regards to Gameplay. I enjoy Uncharted, but it is to me ridiculously overrated. It's just a linear cinematic Indiana Jones copycat. Yes, some of the set pieces are astounding, but that series was a huge step backwards from Jak in terms of fun gameplay. And for some reason the guns in Uncharted have always felt way too floaty to me, thankfully they fixed that with Last of Us.

I think it's a shame if Naughty Dog thinks they are "above" doing another Jak and Daxter.

meanspartan

I would love a Jak4 or similar but I don`t want ND to make it. What a waste that would be, everything they have learnt over these years. In fact, on the trajectory they are on, it`s even hard to imagine them creating a game as "light-hearted" as Uncharted 1. It will be TLOU2 and then new IP.

The Last of Us was an astounding achievement for sure, in my top 5 for last gen. But why does that preclude going back and making something cool with Jak and Daxter?

Again, in regards to gameplay, the Jak series absolutely shits all over Uncharted, and Last of Us as well. To a lesser extent on the latter for sure- while Last of Us was still linear, the stealth and shooting mechanics were very well done.

I think if anything it would be helpful for one of their two teams to take a sort of "breather" on a less narratively focused game.

The Last of Us was an astounding achievement for sure, in my top 5 for last gen. But why does that preclude going back and making something cool with Jak and Daxter?

Again, in regards to gameplay, the Jak series absolutely shits all over Uncharted, and Last of Us as well. To a lesser extent on the latter for sure- while Last of Us was still linear, the stealth and shooting mechanics were very well done.

I think if anything it would be helpful for one of their two teams to take a sort of "breather" on a less narratively focused game.

Yeah I always thought that the idea that they cant make jak again because of uncharted or the last of us rediculous.

I like the fact they are recording some episodes to be released over the next few weeks. I guess, if they can help it, they will never take a week off, even if that means having a podcast that's outdated at the time of its release.

camac002

But why does that preclude going back and making something cool with Jak and Daxter?

Yeah I always thought that the idea that they cant make jak again because of uncharted or the last of us rediculous.

They already attempted this, and because of the new mindset of the studio they were unable to get it going; "...doing the fans a disservice." - their own admission. They have 300 people working on U4. This is now a studio rigged for "quadruple A" highly narrative focused games with "realistic" art styles. Maybe they will change their minds and split into two fully capable teams with one of them projects of that nature but it´s hard to see.

My hope was that Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time was an audition for Sanzaru Games after which they could work on a future Jak. Despite the game reviewing well, nothing seemed to come from it though.

Not gonna bother looking but I remember reading that after Last of Us everyone folded back into 1 team to finish Uncharted 4.

I'm sure a few people are working on something else, but majority of people are on Uncharted 4 I'd bet.
They were making several different prototypes so clearly that`s not true. Their president said they have a 50 man team and have been on a hiring spree for their company as well. They`ve been getting progressively bigger than last year or so.

Dragon

Banned
I have to say that I found Colin's elitist rant a bit tone-deaf. You have to consider the audience, which is Playstation fans. Who have gotten used to the idea of cross-buy. Yes the situations are different, but talking down to people and scoffing and telling them they're just part of outrage culture I think is super shitty.

I'm enjoying all of these interviews but that Shannon one was pretty weird. A lot of her answers barely matched the question. She even refused to say which one of the upcoming XDEV games was favorite.

bigkurz

Banned
I like a lot of what Colin and Greg say. But Colin's really been annoying me lately, specifically in regard to calling people "babies" who want their ps2 discs to work. He reiterated that point on this weeks episode.

I think the PS2 games are fairly priced. I have no problem with $10-15 for these games. That said, I also don't believe for a second that Sony hasn't figured out how to get discs running too. You wouldn't get trophies, but you'd certainly be able to upscale and use other ps4 features from the emulator level (rather than needing to customize for each game). Whether or not they ever give people the ability to use or even BUY the emulator is a business decision, but you'll never convince me the technical ability isn't there. Personally, I think Sony could figure out pricing to make selling the emulator worth their while. But that’s their decision. I’m not going to tell a corporation how they should conduct their business. I’m just amazed at the amount of people that think Sony doesn't already have the ability to allow discs to work or could do so very easily. Hobbyists have had PS2 emulation on PC for years…you don’t think a major electronics company could emulate their own system on modern hardware? (Ignoring the fact that they obviously CAN because that’s exactly what they’re doing with these ps2 games). And there’s nothing special about PS2 discs that means they can’t be read by a standard DVD drive. They can. PS4 has one of those.

Look, I like trophies too. Just realize that the VAST majority of games are never going to get a ps4 "re-release" with trophies due to licensing issues. I don't want disc-based emulation to work because I own games they'll re-release (I have bought a few of them and will buy more); I want it to work for games that will NEVER get re-released.

I just don’t understand why you have to support one side or the other on the whole ps2 game issue. I don’t mind re-buying the ps4 digital release of games I love and want trophies for (Twisted Metal Black, Vice City) and it’s exposed me to a game like Rogue Galaxy that I missed before but seems right up my alley. So I purchased those.

But games like Timesplitters 2, SSX Tricky, the old WWF/WWE games people love…those will NEVER get a ps4 re-release. If they did, I would love to buy them. But they won’t. So that’s where I’d like discs to work, so they can take advantage of the emulator with upscaling, remote play, etc (which the emulator is able to do at a SYSTEM rather than game level). Trophies wouldn’t work with these “non supported” games as those require extra work for figuring out what they are, triggering, etc. Its not reasonable to expect trophies to work for games that aren’t re-released. But its not unreasonable to think the discs could be made to work. I would venture a guess that Sony already has that capability, though they’d never admit that for obvious reasons.

And to reiterate. I don’t want this “given” to me. I’m willing to pay for it. If they’re willing to sell it.

Zukkoyaki

Jaffe is the realist mother fucker in the gaming industry. There isn't any other moderately famous developer who speaks his mind as much as he does and comes off as just a regular dude like he does.

I love how he openly acknowledged that Drawn to Death could bomb. Nobody ever openly discusses the possibility of their game bombing which is such a breath of fresh air. The best part is, he doesn't seem to care what happens. In reality, he obviously wants it to succeed and he obviously wants Bartlett Jones to be a successful developer, but he seems to care more about working with good people on games he loves more than anything.

No he basically said Sony had nothing and Microsoft would kick their ass. He was wrong.

To be fair, it wasn't fully known what marketing deals Sony would have (if any). The Call of Duty deal was announced at E3. The Battlefront deal, months later. The price cut was also a shocker for some people who were adamant that Sony would not drop the price this year due to how well it was still selling at its launch price. Perhaps if those factors were known, Colin's prediction would've been different.

To be fair, it wasn't fully known what marketing deals Sony would have (if any). The Call of Duty deal was announced at E3. The Battlefront deal, months later. The price cut was also a shocker for some people who were adamant that Sony would not drop the price this year due to how well it was still selling at its launch price. Perhaps if those factors were known, Colin's prediction would've been different.

Why go all in on your predictions before such crucial details were known? Don't get me wrong I love listening to Colin and Greg talk PlayStation, but he made a Patcher like prediction.

meanspartan

I like a lot of what Colin and Greg say. But Colin's really been annoying me lately, specifically in regard to calling people "babies" who want their ps2 discs to work. He reiterated that point on this weeks episode.

I think the PS2 games are fairly priced. I have no problem with $10-15 for these games. That said, I also don't believe for a second that Sony hasn't figured out how to get discs running too. You wouldn't get trophies, but you'd certainly be able to upscale and use other ps4 features from the emulator level (rather than needing to customize for each game). Whether or not they ever give people the ability to use or even BUY the emulator is a business decision, but you'll never convince me the technical ability isn't there. Personally, I think Sony could figure out pricing to make selling the emulator worth their while. But that’s their decision. I’m not going to tell a corporation how they should conduct their business. I’m just amazed at the amount of people that think Sony doesn't already have the ability to allow discs to work or could do so very easily. Hobbyists have had PS2 emulation on PC for years…you don’t think a major electronics company could emulate their own system on modern hardware? (Ignoring the fact that they obviously CAN because that’s exactly what they’re doing with these ps2 games). And there’s nothing special about PS2 discs that means they can’t be read by a standard DVD drive. They can. PS4 has one of those.

Look, I like trophies too. Just realize that the VAST majority of games are never going to get a ps4 "re-release" with trophies due to licensing issues. I don't want disc-based emulation to work because I own games they'll re-release (I have bought a few of them and will buy more); I want it to work for games that will NEVER get re-released.

I just don’t understand why you have to support one side or the other on the whole ps2 game issue. I don’t mind re-buying the ps4 digital release of games I love and want trophies for (Twisted Metal Black, Vice City) and it’s exposed me to a game like Rogue Galaxy that I missed before but seems right up my alley. So I purchased those.

But games like Timesplitters 2, SSX Tricky, the old WWF/WWE games people love…those will NEVER get a ps4 re-release. If they did, I would love to buy them. But they won’t. So that’s where I’d like discs to work, so they can take advantage of the emulator with upscaling, remote play, etc (which the emulator is able to do at a SYSTEM rather than game level). Trophies wouldn’t work with these “non supported” games as those require extra work for figuring out what they are, triggering, etc. Its not reasonable to expect trophies to work for games that aren’t re-released. But its not unreasonable to think the discs could be made to work. I would venture a guess that Sony already has that capability, though they’d never admit that for obvious reasons.

And to reiterate. I don’t want this “given” to me. I’m willing to pay for it. If they’re willing to sell it.

+1

Agreed, I made a long post on the Kinda Funny Forums comparing what PCSX2 has accomplished and why the same thing is totally possible on Ps4.

http://www.kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5519#p89538

Post #8

Jaffe is the realest mother fucker in the gaming industry. There isn't any other moderately famous developer who speaks his mind as much as he does and comes off as just a regular dude like he does.

I love how he openly acknowledged that Drawn to Death could bomb. Nobody ever openly discusses the possibility of their game bombing which is such a breath of fresh air. The best part is, he doesn't seem to care what happens. In reality, he obviously wants it to succeed and he obviously wants Bartlett Jones to be a successful developer, but he seems to care more about working with good people on games he loves more than anything.

Yeah

Jaffe is the realest mother fucker in the gaming industry. There isn't any other moderately famous developer who speaks his mind as much as he does and comes off as just a regular dude like he does.

Wait a minute, wasn't Drawn to Death meant to be a Free to Play game? When a Free to Play game is not successful, can it bomb or does it just fizzle out and disappear?

Zukkoyaki

Wait a minute, wasn't Drawn to Death meant to be a Free to Play game? When a Free to Play game is not successful, can it bomb or does it just fizzle out and disappear?
It's F2P and I am of the opinion that such a game can bomb. If it doesn't catch on then they essentially made a game for free. It could also mean that it takes quite some time to break even.

Naughty Dog has another huge project that's at least in pre-production, Evan Wells said that himself: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/02/naughty-dog-reveals-it-has-a-new-game-in-development

While you are most likely correct that the significant majority of the studio is crunching to wrap Uncharted, that definitely isn't the only thing cooking over there.

Believe.
2565603-0179924777-2013-.png

It's F2P and I am of the opinion that such a game can bomb. If it doesn't catch on then they essentially made a game for free. It could also mean that it takes quite some time to break even.

I recall him also saying there will be no microtransactions. How can a free to play game with no microtransactions be successful? Aren't microtransactions the lifeblood of free to play games?

Alo0oy

Banned
Not gonna bother looking but I remember reading that after Last of Us everyone folded back into 1 team to finish Uncharted 4.

I'm sure a few people are working on something else, but majority of people are on Uncharted 4 I'd bet.

Do you actually believe that over 300 people are working on Uncharted 4?

Naughty Dog are just being coy here, remember TLOU? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they announce their new IP or TLOU2 at E3 or some time next year.

Pryce

Both Colin and Greg predicted it. Most people seemed to have predicted it. The thing is, to the average consumer first party, second party, third party, whatever... it doesn't matter to them. When a particular game is associated with a console, it can do wonders.

Oh, for sure. I have to remind myself that Destiny is not a PS4 exclusive, and it's almost the same way with Battlefront.

The exclusive deals worked wonders.

Alo0oy

Banned

I think the issue is that a lot of people in North America severely underestimate the WW video games market, the US represents less than 30% of the total PS4 global sales, while the PS4 & XB1 are neck & neck in the US, & that reflects accurately in the NA media or video games circles that are in NA, but the global sales figures can contradict that anecdotal perception, which is why it's throwing people living in NA off.

aadiboy

They have seemed a little negative recently, Colin especially. I remember after E3, they kind of downplayed Sony's E3 conference and made a big deal about Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. Now that BC announcement was great, but it does not hold a candle to Sony's E3 of dreams. The anger Colin shows towards FF7R whenever it is brought up, the long discussions of MOBAs despite hating them, and various other things are small blemishes on this show that start to add up.

There also seems to be a lot of repetitiveness. Literally every time the Souls franchise is brought up, Colin says "Sony must be kicking themselves for not snatching up Souls exclusivity." And then Greg says: "Right, but no one would have known the series would become this popular..." I feel like that exact discussion has been in at least 3 episodes. I feel like a way to combat this repetitiveness would be to have a guest on every once in a while to get some differing opinions.

But anyways, it's still a good show, kinks and all.

Zukkoyaki

They have seemed a little negative recently, Colin especially. I remember after E3, they kind of downplayed Sony's E3 conference and made a big deal about Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. Now that BC announcement was great, but it does not hold a candle to Sony's E3 of dreams. The anger Colin shows towards FF7R whenever it is brought up, the long discussions of MOBAs despite hating them, and various other things are small blemishes on this show that start to add up.

There also seems to be a lot of repetitiveness. Literally every time the Souls franchise is brought up, Colin says "Sony must be kicking themselves for not snatching up Souls exclusivity." And then Greg says: "Right, but no one would have known the series would become this popular..." I feel like that exact discussion has been in at least 3 episodes. I feel like a way to combat this repetitiveness would be to have a guest on every once in a while to get some differing opinions.

Colin is just super opinionated, it's more noticeable when he has a negative opinion that goes against the grain because he likes to elaborate on why he feels the way he does. I respect that a lot because most people never try to justify their thoughts in an articulate fashion.

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone can pick anything but Sony for E3 lol.. That was ridiculous in too many levels.

Colin is just super opinionated, it's more noticeable when he has a negative opinion that goes against the grain because he likes to elaborate on why he feels the way he does. I respect that a lot because most people never try to justify their thoughts in an articulate fashion.

I know what you mean. Over in the Star Wars Review thread, I posted a ridiculous review I found on Rotten Tomatoes. Now, I don't care if someone dislikes or likes a movie. What I do care is if someone has an opinion, they do their best to present their viewpoint. This is the review in its entirety:

The franchise that wrecked American cinema is back, with fanboy auteur J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Mission: Impossible III) taking the reins from series creator George Lucas. I'll spare you the scrolling yellow text, but suffice it to say that this brings back the coed trio of the original trilogy 30 years after their previous exploits (Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill) while prepping a new trio of young bucks to replicate the seniors' chemistry (Oscar Isaac, Billie Lourd, John Boyega). As with other installments, this is less a movie than an exercise in massaging a juvenile-minded audience that wants the experience to be new and familiar at the same time. With Adam Driver and Domhnall Gleeson.

Nowhere in this short review does the reviewer discuss the movie. It's endcapped with insults to the franchise and its fans, with the bulk of the review simply mentioning who the cast is (and somehow confuses Billie Lourd (who is Carrie Fisher's daughter and has a quick non-talking cameo) with Daisy Ridley). There is no mention of what the movie is, even in the generalist sense. Somehow this reviewer is considered a "Top Critic" at Rotten Tomatoes. I fear this is what reviews are coming to. They're becoming more and more like internet comments, lacking any real substance with no attempt to back up their convictions. With Colin, he may have viewpoints many disagree with, but he always makes sure to let you know why he feels that way. He doesn't just say something and not back it up.

Top Bottom