• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

It's fine, but it's about three times too long for its own good. Game simply falls too hard into standard "Ubisoft open world" tropes.

Yeah a little but that hasn't bothered me so far. The world itself looks and feels amazing, brilliant apocalyptic atmosphere. And the car combat is a lot of fun. It's not on the level of MGSV or the witcher but its leagues ahead of Just Cause 3 and most ubi games.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just cringed a million times hearing Colin and Greg bitch about PC gaming. I mean, seriously? It's not rocket science running a PC game.

I know it's a PS podcast, but Christ.

killroy87

Just cringed a million times hearing Colin and Greg bitch about PC gaming. I mean, seriously? It's not rocket science running a PC game.

Yeah, I became numb to it a long time ago. People that don't game on PC seem to think that they need to be constantly taken care of just to maintain basic functionality. No one seems to know (or care) that once you invest in a PC, you're pretty much good to go for a few years as long as you're keeping track of patch notifications and not downloading stupid shit.

Having not played it, I can't comment if it's good or not, but I do have to wonder if the game was treated unfairly by the gaming press. The thing is, Mad Max is an open world game that released on September 1st, 2015. Another bigger, much more hyped open world game released on September 1st, 2015: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I have to wonder if some of the hate Mad Max got was due to burnout on reviewers due to MGSV coverage. An open world game was probably the last thing they wanted to see. Also, I have to wonder if some were bummed that there were no ties to the movie that came out earlier in the year (which I still haven't seen). Maybe the game's good, maybe it's not. I just have a feeling that the game could be looked upon more favorably now than it was treated at release.

it's unfortunate that it released at the same time. i had no interest in playing it after 100+ hours of mgsv. and conversely, colin never gave mgsv a fair shake

killroy87

it's unfortunate that it released at the same time. i had no interest in playing it after 100+ hours of mgsv. and conversely, colin never gave mgsv a fair shake

Well let's be fair; It's totally fair and valid for Colin to say he enjoyed the game and considers it one of his faves of 2015, but that doesn't mean anyone is similarly invalid or "unfair" for not enjoying it as much. The game has clear faults, the only difference is that Colin and Greg are both self-professed collectathon lovers, so the very things that some people consider a negative don't bother them as much.

It's not rocket science and it's better than it used to be, but it's still extremely frustrating at times. I mean, I have post secondary education in computer hardware and software and work as tier 3 support and I STILL have a nightmare getting things to work sometimes.

So I can certainly understand why admittedly non tech savvy people like Greg and Colin have soured experiences

Yeah, I became numb to it a long time ago. People that don't game on PC seem to think that they need to be constantly taken care of just to maintain basic functionality. No one seems to know (or care) that once you invest in a PC, you're pretty much good to go for a few years as long as you're keeping track of patch notifications and not downloading stupid shit.

But see, that's the thing that Colin & Greg are tryna get at. Console gaming for the most part doesn't have the customer dealing with any of that minutiae that us hardcore guys/gals enjoy and get off on as opposed to Joe or Jane Schmo who may find the friction to be a hindrance or annoyance on PC.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Having not played it, I can't comment if it's good or not, but I do have to wonder if the game was treated unfairly by the gaming press. The thing is, Mad Max is an open world game that released on September 1st, 2015. Another bigger, much more hyped open world game released on September 1st, 2015: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I have to wonder if some of the hate Mad Max got was due to burnout on reviewers due to MGSV coverage. An open world game was probably the last thing they wanted to see. Also, I have to wonder if some were bummed that there were no ties to the movie that came out earlier in the year (which I still haven't seen). Maybe the game's good, maybe it's not. I just have a feeling that the game could be looked upon more favorably now than it was treated at release.
No. The reviews were fair, hell, they were generous. I've put 60 hours into it and that game is basically Assassin's Creed 1, you do the same thing over and over again for 25 hours. The story, cutscenes and characters are awful.

That part was funny to watch. Christ the last time I had issues running a PC game was back in 2008 before I knew about Steam.

killroy87

But see, that's the thing that Colin & Greg are tryna get at. Console gaming for the most part doesn't have the customer dealing with any of that minutiae that us hardcore guys/gals enjoy and get off on as opposed to Joe or Jane Schmo who may find the friction to be a hindrance or annoyance on PC.

I don't know what magical machines you're gaming on, but my PS4 and Xbox games patch all the fucking time.

On PC it's literally the exact same situation. You fire up Steam, any new patches automatically download. Windows or your video card need an update? It's just as automatic as it is with Steam, you just click yes and restart.

I'm not saying that the experience is 100% without any annoyances (neither is consoles), but the barrier to entry is 100% a product of most people's old fashioned views of PC gaming.

DKHF

Latest episode was good (aside from the excessive amount of off topic food talk). I'm more on Colin's side with Horizon not getting delayed but I won't be surprised if it is. It was in pre-production from 2011-2013 and has been in full production from late 2013 to now so I think Guerrilla will pull it off. The only game they've ever delayed was Killzone 2 which was not due to them missing deadlines but because of a strategic decision made by Sony.

I think it could do well in early-mid October before the heavy hitters are released. And The Last Guardian could do well in summer.

Greg must be using a 486 or something because his experience is completely different to me and 99% of other people who game on PC. Not saying its not happening, but he's doing something very wrong for it to be like he describes.

Portugeezer

Kind of a shit show episode. They already have a million podcasts / shows in which they shoot the shit, I prefer their PS podcasts because it gets straight to the point... Dudes talked about wings for 30 minutes in total, probably, wtf.

Ocelott

Kind of a shit show episode. They already have a million podcasts / shows in which they shoot the shit, I prefer their PS podcasts because it gets straight to the point... Dudes talked about wings for 30 minutes in total, probably, wtf.
Have you ever listened to the old Beyond episodes?

Well, they were talking about their personal experiences with PC gaming and personal preferences when it comes to playing games, are you saying they were wrong?

It's not like they're hating on PC gaming just because they like PlayStation better. They're telling you personal reasons why they prefer consoles. Why are you offended by that?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Well, they were talking about their personal experiences with PC gaming and personal preferences when it comes to playing games, are you saying they were wrong?

It's not like they're hating on PC gaming just because they like PlayStation better. They're telling you personal reasons why they prefer consoles. Why are you offended by that?

I'm more cringed out by the fact Greg can't seem to operate the damn thing, and then has to talk about how shitty PC gaming is based on his inability to do so. I'm not 'offended'. Just really surprised and awestruck.

Dang love Colin and Greg's enthusiasm for Horizon!

I feel like this game is a lock for 2016, it's been in development for way too long like the boys said.

Also I really hope Guerilla devs have been playing The Witcher 3 and learned things in terms of quest design and open world crafting.

Thank goodness they have a few CD Projekt devs on board.

killroy87

Dang love Colin and Greg's enthusiasm for Horizon!

I feel like this game is a lock for 2016, it's been in development for way too long like the boys said.

Also I really hope Guerilla devs have been playing The Witcher 3 and learned things in terms of quest design and open world crafting.

Thank goodness they have a few CD Projekt devs on board.

If anything, it's a lock solely because it would be laughable for Sony to go another Holiday season without a flagship title. Not that they need it from a sales perspective, but it definitely gives them more to lean on.

I'm more cringed out by the fact Greg can't seem to operate the damn thing, and then has to talk about how shitty PC gaming is based on his inability to do so. I'm not 'offended'. Just really surprised and awestruck.

I don't think it's that Greg can't operate a PC, it's just not worth the time and effort when there's so much to play on console and way less messing around.

I don't know what magical machines you're gaming on, but my PS4 and Xbox games patch all the fucking time.

On PC it's literally the exact same situation. You fire up Steam, any new patches automatically download. Windows or your video card need an update? It's just as automatic as it is with Steam, you just click yes and restart.

I'm not saying that the experience is 100% without any annoyances (neither is consoles), but the barrier to entry is 100% a product of most people's old fashioned views of PC gaming.
no you guys are just biased, just like Greg and Colin is towards console gaming.

These comments add up to "PC gaming is so simple now, I can't fathom anyone having any trouble with it."

It's ridiculous, he literally said his Ds4 wasn't pairing, big steam picture mode he had a cable that wasn't long enough, sometimes the audio didn't sync with whatever he was using, and whatever the eff he was talking about. Just because all that is trivial to you its cringeworthy?!

Ummm...nice humility there guys.

killroy87

no you guys are just biased, just like Greg and Colin is towards console gaming.

These comments add up to "PC gaming is so simple now, I can't fathom anyone having any trouble with it."

It's ridiculous, he literally said his Ds4 wasn't pairing, big steam picture mode he had a cable that wasn't long enough, sometimes the audio didn't sync with whatever he was using, and whatever the eff he was talking about. Just because all that is trivial to you its cringeworthy?!

Ummm...nice humility there guys.

These are people whose job revolves around maintaining a website, recording and posting podcasts, video content, and daily livestreams. I have borderline zero empathy for them to not be able to get a competent Steam PC up and running. It's 100% their own minds getting in the way.

And I'm not sure "having a cable that isn't long enough" is a tech problem worthy of anyone's sympathy :p

Edit: To be clear, i don't care that their personal preference is consoles, they can do whatever the hell they want. But to keep harping on the idea that gaming PC is too finicky and complicated when their day-to-day job requires more technical upkeep is just a bit silly.

#colinwasright

Having played 15 hours or so, Mad Max is the secret best game of 2015. ;)

It might actually turn out to be my favorite game of 2015. I think it's much more reminiscent of Sleeping Dogs than anything Ubisoft has done in the open world space. I am really prone to open world fatigue, yet for some reason, I'm still having a blast with this game. Just about to do the
Big Chief
Mission, and I've got much of the map already cleared out.

Olli128

These are people whose job revolves around maintaining a website, recording and posting podcasts, video content, and daily livestreams. I have borderline zero empathy for them to not be able to get a competent Steam PC up and running. It's 100% their own minds getting in the way.

And I'm not sure "having a cable that isn't long enough" is a tech problem worthy of anyone's sympathy :p

Edit: To be clear, i don't care that their personal preference is consoles, they can do whatever the hell they want. But to keep harping on the idea that gaming PC is too finicky and complicated when their day-to-day job requires more technical upkeep is just a bit silly.

It's not that they couldn't work it out if they really wanted too, but as they said in the podcast it gets to the point where you go fuck this I don't want to spend any more time trying to fix this when I can just turn my console on instead.

In fact having to fix that kind of stuff as part of their job is probably a contributor to why they don't want to do it for "leisure gaming".

I'm not sure that's fair. One, they hired a guy to build their forums for them (as well as their app). Two, their website was built via Squarespace, so maintenance is easy (they don't have to worry about coding or anything if they want to add something). Three, Colin and Greg Live is always blowing up in some form or another (no sound, starts late, stream cuts out, etc.). Four, I'd wager Nick and Tim are behind a lot of the video content being uploaded, not Colin or Greg.

prwxv3

For such a infamous game (TLG) its really annoying to see many people not reading what Sony has said about the game. Yoshida has said multiple times that the game has not sucked up that much cash and has played out the entire timeline of the game. The problem was getting the game to run reasonably. They could not get it to run so they had to wait until ps4 and then port it. And that too a long time to do. This explains why the game was missing in action for so lonh.

For such a infamous game (TLG) its really annoying to see many people not reading what Sony has said about the game. Yoshida has said multiple times that the game has not sucked up that much cash and has played out the entire timeline of the game. The problem was getting the game to run reasonably. They could not get it to run so they had to wait until ps4 and then port it. And that too a long time to do. This explains why the game was missing in action for so lonh.

Yup.

GOOCHY

that start, boy oh boy. i mean i like it when they fuck around but i had to skip over ten minutes because of how boring and off topic it was.

Came in to post this. It's getting worse. Colin/Greg if you're reading this rein it in on the off topic stuff. A few minutes to start is no big deal but I'm really listening to hear about Playstation videogames. You guys have four other podcasts that you can talk about whatever in. <3 u.

Wagram

Being a longtime fan, it wasn't this that bothered me. They made a few comments in the chat telling people to leave and unsub because they called them out on the commentary as of late. Nearly 15 damn minutes of chicken wings at the start of the show. You would think that as a team who relies on their audience to support their livelihood and animated series, they (rather whoever wrote those comments) would be kinder to those who have feedback. Came off as rude to me.

Wasp

I wish they wouldn't swear so much.

I want to listen to these podcasts at work but using headphones is impractical at work and there's too much swearing to listen over the speakers.

Same applies to the VideoGamerUK podcast. The Game Informer Show is the only good podcast that keeps it clean, GT Time too is fairly profanity free.

notaxation

Neo Member
that start, boy oh boy. i mean i like it when they fuck around but i had to skip over ten minutes because of how boring and off topic it was.

Just wait until next week's episode, when we talk about what pizza to order for an hour and 20 minutes.

We haven't even recorded it yet, mind you. It's just an educated guess.

(In all seriousness, we were hungry. We worked all day, flew home, and had no time to eat. This is pretty much the exact podcast we've done for like eight years, and we know a vast majority of our audience not only tolerates the tangents, but loves them. So we're going to keep on keeping on the way we do our show, but we appreciate the feedback.)

Just wait until next week's episode, when we talk about what pizza to order for an hour and 20 minutes.

(In all seriousness, we were hungry. We worked all day, flew home, and had no time to eat. This is pretty much the exact podcast we've done for like eight years, and we know a vast majority of our audience not only tolerates the tangents, but loves them. So we're going to keep on keeping on the way we do our show, but we appreciate the feedback.)

I can't wait for that episode.

I'm in that camp. I loved this episode. Very honestly. Keep doing you, guys!

I get what you guys are and how you do it it was just this start in particular that got me. I was just thinking a couple minutes in "okay this'll probably wind down soon" but after like 4 skips wing talk was still going down. I've never really skipped the bullshit before but this time I was just not into it.

Our boy Colin M. telling it how it is. Keep doing what you guys do best. Long live Kinda Funny. Long Live Colin Moriarty.

fYbKz9t.jpg

Yep, had no qualms with the latest episode because it isn't a typical occurrence. They were tired and hungry and it was late. This won't be happening frequently. I think the episode was solid overall.

But yeah, TLG shouldn't cost as much as you think, Colin. As a poster above mentioned, it was more a matter of getting the game up and running on PS4. They weren't consistently developing the game and spending obscene amounts of money on it over the last decade.

I normally really like their tangents too. I definitely wouldn't mind them trying to monitor that for this particular show just so they could please some of those people though. Actually, I'd consider maybe not letting it get too out of control. I could be wrong but it does seem like fans are more picky about it when it comes to PSILYXOXO.

This might sound crazy, but I realized lately that PSILY might actually be my least favorite show that they do because it feels like the most structured. Well it's a fight between that and gamescast. (I mean don't get me wrong, I still love both. It's not at all an insult). I like seeing them go off the rails. The only rare times it can bother me a bit is sometimes when there's a certain topic where i'm really anxious to hear what they have to say on it, and they keep getting sidetracked/interrupted as or right before they're about to talk about it. I can't even think of an example of that off the top of my head lol. I guess I could have done without the delays to Tim's Club 33 topic on the GoG show recently.

aadiboy

Tbf, PS I Love You XOXO has been good about not going on tangents too much like the other podcasts, which is why this week's tangent was kind of annoying.

I normally really like their tangents too. I definitely wouldn't mind them trying to monitor that for this particular show just so they could please some of those people though. I could be wrong but it does seem like fans are more picky about it when it comes to PSILYXOXO.

I agree completely but I'm one of those long time beyond fans that actually like to hear those weird tangents the boys sometimes get into.

To be honest I'm just grateful that P.S. I Love You XoXo exists. For the longest time I feared that Colin & Greg were not going to do a PlayStation podcast and that they wanted to break away from their IGN roots and just do something that was their own and they did that.

When they announced they were going back to what many of us love them for the best I was stoked. Beyond had become something different, something that I didn't want and their was a gaping hole that no one was filling. Colin & Greg filled the hole, rather snugly actually.

i'm totally okay with the random wing talk. if you don't like it there's skip forward buttons for that. don't ask these guys to "force" their content into the little box that you'd like. that'd totally ruin they're dynamic. don't change guys.

having said all that, don't talk shit your customers in the chat either

Luke_Wal

Tbf, PS I Love You XOXO has been good about not going on tangents too much like the other podcasts, which is why this week's tangent was kind of annoying.

Before I continue, I want it to be clear that I'm not calling you out specifically, but all people who make this sort of comment.

Do you guys really come to podcasts like this expecting dry, NPR-like delivery of the news? I see these "too many tangents" comments on Bombcast and 8 4 play threads too and I really can't fathom it. While I get that 10 minutes of two dudes ordering wings might not be what you expect when you subscribe to a PlayStation show, it's not like this stuff is dry. The guys always make it funny or interesting, and it gives a perspective into a life you as a listener probably aren't leading. I know I'm not! But this stuff is flavor; it's the seasoning that makes the meal more interesting than just a slab of cooked hamburger meat. If you want a more boring podcast, don't worry, you can find dozens of them on the Internet, particularly PS-centric, since Colin & Greg have "inspired" so many people to do this exact kind of show, an most of them aren't nearly as good at it. But those shows aren't nearly as fun. All of that stuff is kind of boring, and I don't understand why you would want to listen to it.

When they announced they were going back to what many of us love them for the best I was stoked. Beyond had become something different, something that I didn't want and their was a gaping hole that no one was filling. Colin & Greg filled the hole, rather snugly actually.

If there's one thing Colin's good at, it's filling holes. &#128521;&#128527;

I agree completely but I'm one of those long time beyond fans that actually like to hear those weird tangents the boys sometimes get into.

I'm not a long time beyond fan, but yeah I welcome their tangents. (My "normally" comment didn't mean to indicate that I didn't like it in this episode. I haven't even watched this episode yet lol)

Past

Kinda off-topic, but does anyone knows what exactly does Colin and Greg do bts? I'm just curious because they always talk about how they are really busy and stress because of work. I know Tim and Nick are in charge with editing, producing and uploading videos and Kevin is basically the slave of everyone while also making sure that everything is perfect when filming, but I'm not sure what Colin's & Greg's roles are?

Luke_Wal

Kinda off-topic, but does anyone knows what exactly does Colin and Greg do bts? I'm just curious because they always talk about how they are really busy and stress because of work. I know Tim and Nick are in charge with editing, producing and uploading videos and Kevin is basically the slave of everyone while also making sure that everything is perfect when filming, but I'm not sure what Colin's & Greg's roles are?

Colin does all the social media and I think some of the other business stuff?

Greg is the liaison with Patreon, Twitch, YouTube, and the Patreon community. He also seems to be in charge of guest booking, the Hugh I don't know if I've ever seen that confirmed. He also does most of the appearances on other stuff to promote KF.

Top Bottom