• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

jacobeid

Banned
''Twas I.
y0axNzR.png

Oh jeeze, that was insane.

You nailed it. This has been an issue since they left IGN. Anytime you criticize them, you're just "hating" and not being supportive. I know there's a legion of people kissing their asses, so from their perspective it's easier to listen to those people than the people who maybe think the animated series isn't the best idea or think 20 minutes of ordering wings at the beginning of a podcast with no timestamps is a bit too much.

So, um..... #cowboypoetwasright??

I'm still waiting for Colin and/or Greg to jump in here. They use to be really good about checking the NeoGAF threads regularly, I wonder what happened?

Also, when it comes to a third chair, I think the rotating position near the end of the Beyond days wasn't great, it never gave someone time to click and sometimes just felt like they were grabbing whoever was available and not who would be best to talk PlayStation...... kind of like the entirety of the new Beyond crew. It'd be great if they could get a permanent third person on the show, but that might require too much coordination.

Omerta

What would Pink Floyd have said if you'd have requested time stamps to distinguish Dark Side of the Moon's rambling sections from the traditional songs?

What would Pink Floyd have said if you'd have requested time stamps to distinguish Dark Side of the Moon's rambling sections from the traditional songs?

While I can't condone comparing Colin and Greg to Pink Floyd, I agree that this does kind of address the issue.

The off topic tangents and rambling isn't some extra fat - their podcasts have always been full of these bits and they are in fact proud of it, which is why they don't see it as an issue. When people ask them to cut it out or provide timestamps so they can skip it, then they are in essence distinguishing the off topic from on topic parts and I don't think they want their content to be viewed in that way.

Like any entertainment, some of these topics are bound to be hilarious and fun and others might not resonate with people (like the wings topic), but I don't think it's up to content creators to cut that up and serve them a la carte. It's pretty easy to scrub through a couple mins at a time past sections that are boring.

And I don't think Colin's disregard for the complaints is about giving the finger to their supporters as it is making a statement that this is exactly what they are and what they do and they aren't going to change that

Wagram

While I can't condone comparing Colin and Greg to Pink Floyd, I agree that this does kind of address the issue.

The off topic tangents and rambling isn't some extra fat - their podcasts have always been full of these bits and they are in fact proud of it, which is why they don't see it as an issue. When people ask them to cut it out or provide timestamps so they can skip it, then they are in essence distinguishing the off topic from on topic parts and I don't think they want their content to be viewed in that way.

Like any entertainment, some of these topics are bound to be hilarious and fun and others might not resonate with people (like the wings topic), but I don't think it's up to content creators to cut that up and serve them a la carte. It's pretty easy to scrub through a couple mins at a time past sections that are boring.

And I don't think Colin's disregard for the complaints is about giving the finger to their supporters as it is making a statement that this is exactly what they are and what they do and they aren't going to change that

It's pretty amateur to not do time stamps man. Like it's pretty sad. They can't sustain their business in the long term on current viewers only. They aren't going too last long if every single ounce of feedback is dismissed as haters or changing the formula. What they did this week was disrespectful, and I don't believe Colin's post for a second that they care about feedback. If you do, then you show it, not troll.

I'm a longtime fan since Beyond, and i've decided to not listen to PSILY anymore because of how disrespectful these last few shows have been. I'll watch the Gamescast, but these past few weeks have been a massive turn off. I highly recommend the videos with Steve Gaynor. Very intelligent man with insightful things to say, rather than bullshit nonsense.

aadiboy

I really liked the interview with Mike Bithell on this week's podcast. And I agree with him: don't announce a game for a platform if you're not sure you'll be able to do it. IMO, announcing a port for Vita and not delivering is almost the same as lying.

If people really hate the ranting that much they should do what Colin is always saying people should do and "vote with their wallets" by not listening anymore.

They don't take the suggestions seriously because seemingly no matter what they do they stay at the top of the video game podcast charts and remain the "number 1 PlayStation podcast on the Internet", so why would they change if they're successful?

If you really want the show to change then a drop in listenership is probably the only way it will happen.

EDIT: I'm not trying to get people not to listen, I listen every week and love the show. I'm just saying whats happening in this thread isn't very productive either way.

Bolivar687

Banned
You nailed it. This has been an issue since they left IGN. Anytime you criticize them, you're just "hating" and not being supportive. I know there's a legion of people kissing their asses, so from their perspective it's easier to listen to those people than the people who maybe think the animated series isn't the best idea or think 20 minutes of ordering wings at the beginning of a podcast with no timestamps is a bit too much.

I wouldn't go that far but I am a bit put off by them waving it away, as if the naysayers are simply listeners who haven't been around that long. I listened to the original beyond since before Colin even started showing up as a guest and spending twenty minutes discussing food while they were obviously tired and hungry was totally unnecessary. If anything they should man up and accept some criticism, since it's coming from those of us who expect higher quality from them (the whole reason we follow KF to begin with).

If people really hate the ranting that much they should do what Colin is always saying people should do and "vote with their wallets" by not listening anymore.

Couldn't agree more. I only listen to the audio versions of the Gamecast and PSILY. So I couldn't care less about timestamps.

Plus this is what they have done since Beyond. "Why change something that isn't broke?" Is probably the mindset they have. They're, once again, the number 1 PlayStation podcast. So asking them to change things may be difficult.

I don't mind the off topic discussion but the discussing what they want to eat and then ordering on the podcast was pretty awful. Anyone thats ever been in a relationship can attest to the fact that discussing what to eat is about the most dreadful, hopeless, draining conversation that can take place. Many couples that don't really fight about anything will duke it out over this topic. There is almost nothing I would rather not listen to than 2 people talk about what they are going to order for dinner. If it was like a 5 minute conversation I could let it slide but it went on and on and on. Then they ordered on the podcast, rereading the order on the podcast. It just made them seem completely oblivious. I turned it off and didn't listen to the rest. This week started off with a 15 minute conversation about nothing and it was fine because they werent ordering fucking food. Please just don't discuss what your dinner decisions might be, its really awful. It's like listening to someone talk to an accountant talk about taxes. Its awful and I don't wanna listen.

Toli08

Why do people have to complain about pointless small things. It's always been there, this is nothing new. Why get angry or upset over something that in the big picture means nothing to you. These types of shows should never be taken serious.

That episode I was more interested by the fact they mix onion and bacon and other stuff with their wings. Being close to Buffalo made me shake my head at those addidtions to their wing order.

Why do people have to complain about pointless small things. It's always been there, this is nothing new. Why get angry or upset over something that in the big picture means nothing to you. These types of shows should never be taken serious.

That episode I was more interested by the fact they mix onion and bacon and other stuff with their wings. Being close to Buffalo made me shake my head at those addidtions to their wing order.

the only reason i'm kind of upset is the fact that the one time i didn't care about something they discussed, they basically say that i and anybody else that had an issue with the opening must be new fans. it just felt childish and kind of disrespectful.

Toli08

the only reason i'm kind of upset is the fact that the one time i didn't care about something they discussed, they basically say that i and anybody else that had an issue with the opening must be new fans. it just felt childish and kind of disrespectful.

Sure and that's understandable. But, no reason to ever take anything personal from people that you have never met or plan to meet. Everyone should have bigger things to worry about then why Colin and Greg called everyone that whined about wing talk new fans. People need to stop taking the internet serious.

Sure and that's understandable. But, no reason to ever take anything personal from people that you have never met or plan to meet. Everyone should have bigger things to worry about then why Colin and Greg called everyone that whined about wing talk new fans. People need to stop taking the internet serious.
anyone that has an issue with this in the first place knows that exactly. its just that its not that much fun when you're kind of called out for a critique by people that you've been listening to for years is all.

killroy87

Nope. I hate hate hate this kind of talk.

Having fans passionate enough to create and consistently post on an internet forum about you is the kind of thing that content creators dream of. Greg especially never shuts the hell up about how we're all "best friends", and a community. So they can't have it both ways. If you want me to be invested as a true fan (which they do, because that's the kind of investment that will contribute to the patreon, spread word of mouth, etc), then they can't just flippantly tell me to not take it seriously and not care enough to offer critique. Having their fans take them and their content seriously, be truly passionate about them as fans, is the singular reason they have a roof over their heads.

I'm not saying they owe us anything, and I'm not saying we get to dictate how they run the show. But don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Toli08

Nope. I hate hate hate this kind of talk.

Having fans passionate enough to create and consistently post on an internet forum about you is the kind of thing that content creators dream of. Greg especially never shuts the hell up about how we're all "best friends", and a community. So they can't have it both ways. If you want me to be invested as a true fan (which they do, because that's the kind of investment that will contribute to the patreon, spread word of mouth, etc), then they can't just flippantly tell me to not take it seriously and not care enough to offer critique. Having their fans take them and their content seriously, be truly passionate about them as fans, is the singular reason they have a roof over their heads.

I'm not saying they owe us anything, and I'm not saying we get to dictate how they run the show. But don't bite the hand that feeds you.

My point is not that you shouldn't offer your opinion. My point is you shouldn't get offended if they don't listen to it and do the opposite of what your opinion is.

I will agree with you that if you are a pateron supporter you should have a voice. You are actually funding their projects. Which I find they have done a good job in listening to their actual backers.

I guess I have always sided with Colin on 90% of the topics. The few that I do not agree with are him being a dirty Jets fan (Dolphins fan here and I know that the Fins suck) and some of his world political views.

Like I said earlier the wing talk just has me wondering why they would ruin quality wings with chopped onions. Wings are suppose to be Hot or if you want to go a little crazy get a mix of Hot/Cajun.

I really liked the interview with Mike Bithell on this week's podcast. And I agree with him: don't announce a game for a platform if you're not sure you'll be able to do it. IMO, announcing a port for Vita and not delivering is almost the same as lying.
I really hope they do more of this to be honest. I'd love to see 30 minute to 1 hour interviews with game developers 1-2 times a month, even though I realized that's asking a lot from those two.

I know this is a bit off field, but I kind of wish Colin would write at their own website as he did for IGN. I'd love for him go to SSM for example, then come back and write several pieces on them like he did with other first party studios. He's one of the best game writers in the industry, and that's one thing that's a shame that's been lost since he left IGN.

I really hope they do more of this to be honest. I'd love to see 30 minute to 1 hour interviews with game developers 1-2 times a month, even though I realized that's asking a lot from those two.

I know this is a bit off field, but I kind of wish Colin would write at their own website as he did for IGN. I'd love for him go to SSM for example, then come back and write several pieces on them like he did with other first party studios. He's one of the best game writers in the industry, and that's one thing that's a shame that's been lost since he left IGN.

This.

His "History of..." features were awesome and well written and no offence towards IGN but it was weird to see such pieces from them. Colin should write more and sometimes I feel like writing in and calling him out on it. If he'd have a weekly or even monthly column that would be cool. Op-eds, features or whatever.

He identifies as a writer, so go write an awesome article like we all know you can.

I will agree with you that if you are a pateron supporter you should have a voice. You are actually funding their projects. Which I find they have done a good job in listening to their actual backers.

Nope. Whether you're an actual Patreon subscriber, or just watching their videos on YouTube, they should be treating you like a customer. They have advertisements on YouTube and in their content so they're making money off you that way, and each additional view they get helps them secure more sponsorships. It's the same way television stations treat their audiences, even though they're usually not making money directly from their viewers.
The attitude of "don't like it, don't watch" is bullshit. I don't like Felicity in Arrow, but that doesn't mean I should drop the whole show. So the solution to not liking Colin and Greg's attitude some of the time should not be to drop the podcast entirely. God forbid we critique people who built their career on critiquing others.

Since the podcast itself opened up the topic in regards to U4 and it being darker and not "betraying" the franchise. I never understood this logic. Do you want Nate to do the same shit, and it being the same thing with better gameplay, graphics and MP? The idea of not killing anyone because it goes against the franchise was always nonsensical to me because you're basically saying a series shouldn't evolve and stay the same. Maybe they don't need to kill someone, but they certainly need to do something serious to push the story forward.

I've read Neil wanted to originally kill Elena in Uncharted 2. I also heard from Colin in this podcast saying Amy had no intention of killing Sully in Uncharted 3, and I believe she was also the one that said there's no way Elena's dying in the second one. I get the feeling Neil is a lot more progressive in his storytelling, so I'm hoping he pulls some surprises here.

EDIT: At the end of their convo, Stashwick that used to be the older VA said something I wish I didn't know. Would have been nice if Greg would have mentioned that smh

Since the podcast itself opened up the topic in regards to U4 and it being darker and not "betraying" the franchise. I never understood this logic. Do you want Nate to do the same shit, and it being the same thing with better gameplay, graphics and MP? The idea of not killing anyone because it goes against the franchise was always nonsensical to me because you're basically saying a series shouldn't evolve and stay the same. Maybe they don't need to kill someone, but they certainly need to do something serious to push the story forward.

I've read Neil wanted to originally kill Elena in Uncharted 2. I also heard from Colin in this podcast saying Amy had no intention of killing Sully in Uncharted 3, and I believe she was also the one that said there's no way Elena's dying in the second one. I get the feeling Neil is a lot more progressive in his storytelling, so I'm hoping he pulls some surprises here.

EDIT: At the end of their convo, Stashwick that used to be the older VA said something I wish I didn't know. Would have been nice if Greg would have mentioned that smh
The appeal of Uncharted for me is fun gameplay scenarios that are both exciting and well designed. They don't need to have Drake die for us to get another train section.

YES! I love that Colin is taking the piss out of the fools who are complaining about the podcast

Yeah you have to be a fool to not want to hear 20 minutes of "should we order wings?".

Let me just tell you people, sucking up to Colin and Greg is not going to get you working for Kinda Funny.

Karu

A character's death does not equal progressive storytelling.

This fixation on character's death' is annoying. Be it Uncharted or the plethora of anti hero TV-shows out there. A good story doesn't necessitate to end on a dead person's body. It necessitates an ending that the story dictated.

You can argue Uncharted does that, through its exploration of paying the price for Drake's lifestyle or something in that vain, but "because someone has to" is absolutely ridiclious.

Yeah you have to be a fool to not want to hear 20 minutes of "should we order wings?".

Let me just tell you people, sucking up to Colin and Greg is not going to get you working for Kinda Funny.

We have a funny guy in here guys. Give them a break.

Why would I want to work for them when I am engineer in a Fortune 500 company with a degree in Rocket Science.

What about you?

This fixation on character's death' is annoying. Be it Uncharted or the plethora of anti hero TV-shows out there. A good story doesn't necessitate to end on a dead person's body. It necessitates an ending that the story dictated.

You can argue Uncharted does that, through its exploration of paying the price for Drake's lifestyle or something in that vain, but "because someone has to" is absolutely ridiclious.
Death is talked about because it is a major cause that can push the story, but you're right that it doesn't need to be the be all end all. However, I don't want the same thing to happen where the story doesn't progress to much and it's the same as previous games. I have higher standards for ND.

I disagree with Colin (shocking I know) that someone has to die in this Uncharted.

Sony and ND have been toying with us, and the title definitely alludes to a Nate's death but no one has to die for death's sake. If the story up to the point of anyone's death has "earned" it then fine.

Do I want anyone to die, or more specifically do I want Nate, Elena, Sully or even Chloe to die? Fuck no. If it's in service to the story and done in a manner befitting to Uncharted then so be it.

My issue is that Uncharted is this pulpy, Indiana Jones like adventure that doesn't necessarily need to go to dark, moody and melancholy places to be an Uncharted story.

Druckmann is emo, he wrote TLoU ffs and I don't want any of that in our Uncharted games. I think Uncharted has a set formula in terms of storytelling that they should adhere to and as writers they should try to further the narrative, visual storytelling and plotlines within those constraints.

KalBalboa

Banned
So much better this week. I'm glad they took the criticism to heart and acted on it (eventually, heh).

I guess the give-no-fucks memes can take a walk.

And yet they jumped right to the news after some small banter

Sooooo

And the show flowed better because of it

Yeah, it was a much stronger episode due to it. Glad they exhibited some humility here, makes for a better show.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So much better this week. I'm glad they took the criticism to heart and acted on it (eventually, heh).

I guess the give-no-fucks memes can take a walk.

Yeah, it was a much stronger episode due to it. Glad they exhibited some humility here, makes for a better show.

Agreed.

Yeah I actually agree. Why does someone HAVE to die in Uncharted? They are an iconic cast of charactera so why get rid of one just to create more drama in an already dramatic series.

They probably will kill a main character off because it is the "last" uncharted game

I raise you a superior tweest, Colin.

Nobody dies, but halfway through the game Sam leaves Drake for dead in a cell, and then game timeskips 10-20 years later and we play as Punished Old Drake going all Count of Monte Cristo hunting after his brother.

;p

Great episode! Liked Colin's approach to starting off the podcast this week ;)

I fear for Colin and the Division since I know he keeps looking forward to it.
Imo the breakdown will be that he can't play "properly" as an SP game which he prefers..I dunno it just seems one of those titles that is absolutely crucial with friends.

The Darkzone (for best loot) would be a pain in the ass after release with no buddies having your back.

Druckmann is emo, he wrote TLoU ffs and I don't want any of that in our Uncharted games. I think Uncharted has a set formula in terms of storytelling that they should adhere to and as writers they should try to further the narrative, visual storytelling and plotlines within those constraints.

Relax man.

You do realise that Drukmann was a co-writer on Uncharted 2 eh?
He's had interviews where he said he had to get back in the Uncharted groove after TLoU but once he was there, it was all good.

That was mainly in regard to cranking up action not only storytelling.

DKHF

I think one of the three (Nate, Sully and Elena) will die. In order of most likely it's Sully>Drake>Elena. One of them should die to raise the stakes/have an emotional effect and Sully has the highest chance by far. His death would be a really emotional moment if done right (which I have faith in Druckmann and the other two writers to do). Nate has a good chance too though and would be equally effective.

If they pretend to kill one of them again then the character reappears and is fine later in the game they will probably get a lot of criticism for it.

Spizz

Banned
I liked the suggestion for the ending from the person sending the mail. But like they said, it almost seems too easy for Neil and Bruce. I trust them to surprise me and conclude the series in a satisfying win.

Not going to lie, if Elena dies that is a brutal turn of events. -_- The last 30 second trailer implies something heavy will happen between the brothers, but ND has a habit of placing ruses in interviews and trailers from their previous games. Can't trust anything they say.

newjeruse

There are things worse than death. What if Nate gets paralyzed and the second half of the game is just you performing menial tasks in an assisted living facility?

There are things worse than death. What if Nate gets paralyzed and the second half of the game is just you performing menial tasks in an assisted living facility?

LOL. 2nd half requires PSVR and two move controllers

speaking of VR, i really disappointed to hear steve gaynor's thoughts on VR. his games are perfect for VR, as colin said, and I totally disagree with him that you'd have to fundamentally change something like gone home to get a good VR version. tweak the movement a bit and it would be perfect.

EDIT: that VR talk was on the gamescast, still relevant to PSVR though

Top Bottom