• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Bolivar687

Banned
I want to extend my sincere thanks to Colin for apologizing for yawning shortly after the 57 minute mark. There are many things he and Greg do that offend me on a deep, personal level but they have been making notable progress with the last few episodes. For the next show, I would like to see you take fewer sips from your beverages and shave an additional one minute off of your pre-show banter. Thank you very much for improving your attitudes in the weeks since the discussion that shall not be named
wings
and we look forward to you continuing to pander to our expectations.

kidding

The Vita is dead everywhere that isn't Japan that is a statement that cannot be debated.

Do you guys/gals here on Gaf think that in a fantasy world in which Sony reverses course and doubles down on PS Vita advertisement, releases a new model that supports micro SD cards and/or aggressively price drops the proprietary Vita cards along with and investing heavily in 1st party titles that they could make a comeback?

InFamous Vita title, another Uncharted Vita title, God of War, Patapon, work with 3rd parties for example have a remastered version of Crisis Core etc I think it may work.

This is pie in the sky thinking and I know this

I don't typically disagree with them, but I just can't see PSVR selling for more than $400. But even if it was over $500, I did not understand Greg saying it would be in a world of hurt. The other VR devices are even more expensive and people (for the most part) understand the price. Again, I don't see the PSVR price getting to that point anyways, but I don't think this at risk of becoming a Move-like thing, since VR is more widespread than Move was.

Portugeezer

I mean, it's good to expect a higher price and be surprised when it's lower, but no way it would cost more than $400. The tech in PS VR is cheaper than Oculus and Hive.

Edit: And yes, the original Vita vision died long ago, it then became some indie machine, and now some games are taking long to come out / became vapourware.

I mean, it's good to expect a higher price and be surprised when it's lower, but no way it would cost more than $400. The tech in PS VR is cheaper than Oculus and Hive.

Yeah, one thing that people seem to forget is that the other VR devices have two displays for each eye. PSVR has only one display. That brings down prices right there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Move still sold a heck of a lot, wasn't it over 10 million? It was just a fad that jumped ship, since it does not work well in most games, control wise.

VR is a whole different level of experience. You get tense now over crazy angled platform jumps, imagine that in VR. It is the next true evolution in gaming, (motion controls were just an advanced air pointer mouse with smartphone gyro, let's be honest).

Add to the fact that the PC relm will be pushing hard, mobile is pushing hard, and we have yet to see any advertising for it in the mainstream (nor Apple's push yet). People are going to want it. I do not see it more than $450 max., closer to $400 is my best guess, as a lot of others.

Yeah, one thing that people seem to forget is that the other VR devices have two displays for each eye. PSVR has only one display. That brings down prices right there.

And Sony makes their own displays and sensors. Others do not.

Portugeezer

Yep. One display which is just 1080p, the others as you said are 2 screens and also have an overall higher resolution. The tracking software of the VR headset is what has been in the Move already if I am not mistaken, so they had that already. The VR headset itself will be notably cheaper than the competition, camera and potential move controllers (required for select games) not withstanding.

Let's not forget how the PS4's price surprised everyone with how cheap it was, I don't think Sony will forget what they learned.

Move still sold a heck of a lot, wasn't it over 10 million? It was just a fad that jumped ship, since it does not work well in most games, control wise.

VR is a whole different level of experience. You get tense now over crazy angled platform jumps, imagine that in VR. It is the next true evolution in gaming, (motion controls were just an advanced air pointer mouse with smartphone gyro, let's be honest).

Add to the fact that the PC relm will be pushing hard, mobile is pushing hard, and we have yet to see any advertising for it in the mainstream (nor Apple's push yet). People are going to want it. I do not see it more than $450 max., closer to $400 is my best guess, as a lot of others.

And Sony makes their own displays and sensors. Others do not.

That's an unappreciated aspect as well. Having your own production and supply lines is huge.

Yep. One display which is just 1080p, the others as you said are 2 screens and also have an overall higher resolution. The tracking software of the VR headset is what has been in the Move already if I am not mistaken, so they had that already. The VR headset itself will be notably cheaper than the competition, camera and potential move controllers (required for select games) not withstanding.

Let's not forget how the PS4's price surprised everyone with how cheap it was, I don't think Sony will forget what they learned.

I may be wrong, but I think Move and the earliest versions of PSVR were developed in tandem at PlayStation's Magic Lab headed by Dr. Richard Marks, which is why the Move controllers are still relevant, as they are integral to PSVR.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's an unappreciated aspect as well. Having your own production and supply lines is huge.

I may be wrong, but I think Move and the earliest versions of PSVR were developed in tandem at PlayStation's Magic Lab headed by Dr. Richard Marks, which is why the Move controllers are still relevant, as they are integral to PSVR.

I do not believe you are wrong. Hence one of the many reasons they made sure they were 1:1 from the get go.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Colin: PC gaming sucks. No one cares about PC gaming.

Greg: PC gaming is only good if you're in 1982 and you want to play Minesweep, or if you're a baby.

...Yeah, what the fuck? These two are getting on my nerves now with their cheap shots.

jacobeid

Banned

Greg: PC gaming is only good if you're in 1982 and you want to play Minesweep, or if you're a baby.

...Yeah, what the fuck? These two are getting on my nerves now with their cheap shots.

Just got past that part. It didn't bother me, but it's pretty ancillary stuff (without humor...) that will only serve to get a negative reaction. Lots of that after the first few episodes of the show.

I just....don't get why it's there.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just got past that part. It didn't bother me, but it's pretty ancillary stuff (without humor...) that will only serve to get a negative reaction. Lots of that after the first few episodes of the show.

It serves to discredit them in every way. Just super immature.

That's their shtick. It's a thing they've been doing since Podcast Beyond. They're not 100% serious. Just like Colin's MOBA diss. He doesn't like MOBAs and makes fun of them and their fans, but its all tongue in cheek. For people that get annoyed by that, just don't let it get under your skin. They're not doing it maliciously. Just smile and go "uh, huh" and move on. It's the same thing with Greg's "British accent". It clearly bugs some people, but it's part of Greg's "Greggyness".

That's their shtick. It's a thing they've been doing since Podcast Beyond. They're not 100% serious. Just like Colin's MOBA diss. He doesn't like MOBAs and makes fun of them and their fans, but its all tongue in cheek. For people that get annoyed by that, just don't let it get under your skin. They're not doing it maliciously. Just smile and go "uh, huh" and move on. It's the same thing with Greg's "British accent". It clearly bugs some people, but it's part of Greg's "Greggyness".

Oiii Guvnahh!

You can tell who has been with these guys since Beyond and who hasn't from a mile away. Folks, this is all part of the "personas" they wear for the show. It's been there for years, it's nothing new, why should they change after so many years with great viewership numbers and success? It's like asking a comedian to tone it down with the jokes. What's the point in that? This is entertainment. Grab yourself a cup of joe and enjoy it on your commute to school/work or at the comfort of your home. Take it less seriously. If you can't, be like our boy Colin M is with games nowadays: don't be up its ass. Stop listening and move on.

Bolivar687

Banned
The Vita is dead everywhere that isn't Japan that is a statement that cannot be debated.

Do you guys/gals here on Gaf think that in a fantasy world in which Sony reverses course and doubles down on PS Vita advertisement, releases a new model that supports micro SD cards and/or aggressively price drops the proprietary Vita cards along with and investing heavily in 1st party titles that they could make a comeback?

InFamous Vita title, another Uncharted Vita title, God of War, Patapon, work with 3rd parties for example have a remastered version of Crisis Core etc I think it may work.

This is pie in the sky thinking and I know this

Nothing can reverse it now but I think it could have found moderate success in spite of smartphones. The expensive and proprietary memory cards drove up the price beyond mass market sensitivity. And anytime you make anti-consumer decisions, you rally hostility against you, hence why so many people are so venomous in rejoicing that the Vita is dead. Lastly, that library needed more than middling first party franchises. They should have had TESIV Oblivion, Bioshock, a Demon's Souls installment, and a port of an earlier Call of Duty instead of another half-assed spinoff. If Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2 made it to the Wii, there is no excuse for Sony not securing them for Vita. Instead of Resistance, ModNation Racers, and Little Big Planet, they needed a new handheld Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto.

It's a joke, they don't hate PC, Colin had a Civ V addiction. It's a feigned response to how toxic the PC community often is.

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games

Hey--

If you're new to us, I'll be clear: we're joking. If you're not new and just don't like our dumb jokes, I totally get it and hope you find a podcast that's more your style.

<3
Greg

I want to extend my sincere thanks to Colin for apologizing for yawning shortly after the 57 minute mark. There are many things he and Greg do that offend me on a deep, personal level but they have been making notable progress with the last few episodes. For the next show, I would like to see you take fewer sips from your beverages and shave an additional one minute off of your pre-show banter. Thank you very much for improving your attitudes in the weeks since the discussion that shall not be named
wings
and we look forward to you continuing to pander to our expectations.

kidding
I thought this was genuine until I got to the spoiler at the end.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hey--

If you're new to us, I'll be clear: we're joking. If you're not new and just don't like our dumb jokes, I totally get it and hope you find a podcast that's more your style.

<3
Greg

I've been hearing you guys for a while now, but at times the 'jokes' seem like you're firing shots at a community. I have greatly enjoyed your podcasts otherwise.

Hey--

<3
Greg

Greg, this reminds me of yesterday on C&GL when someone was upset you were making fun of Ireland. Same thing with all the jokes about the UK during the live stream at the start of February. Do you ever think it'd be easier to just not make mean spirited 'jokes' that could offend people? It just kind of comes across as bullying sometimes. Obviously some people are always going to be upset about small things, but you constantly rag on other cultures and other gaming communities/platforms. You can't just say mean stuff and then follow it up with "we were joking". "Joking" is not a get-of-jail card.
When you made fun of that guy who then deleted his Twitter account, he was just a fan who asked a dumb question, but you don't know if he was a kid, or someone with a mental disability, or what his story was. You could have either chosen to ignore him, or respond kindly, but instead you and your lynch mob were rude to him to the point he felt so embarrassed he deleted his account. He was just a fan of you! And then to top it off you make it an on-going joke? That doesn't make you feel awful?
Joking around and being immature is fun, but, and this especially true when you're the leader of a large community, you don't have to be insensitive or a bully.
Please don't accuse me of being a hater, or a new fan, I've been listening to Beyond for ages, I jumped onto KF before it was KF, I was even featured in a Gregway. And I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't enjoy listening to the PSILY and C&GL. I just think a little bit of kindness and compassion, which you're usually pretty good for, can go along way.

I feel like all this going to do is ruin what we have enjoyed for so many years. I hope the Kinda Funny guys just keep doing what they are doing. Man now I get why Colin and Greg barely ever post on here. People are never happy.

GeoramA

I've been hearing you guys for a while now, but at times the 'jokes' seem like you're firing shots at a community. I have greatly enjoyed your podcasts otherwise.
What shots at what community? What are you even getting upset about? There's always someone who takes shit the wrong way, sheesh.

LiK

I'm a fan of Colin's now. listened to him discuss his love for my hometown of Boston in the FO4 review discussion and his anxiety problems as well as what he thinks about life, i can relate to him a lot.

I'm a fan of Colin's now. listened to him discuss his love for my hometown of Boston in the FO4 review discussion and his anxiety problems as well as what he thinks about life, i can relate to him a lot.

Funny thing is same here. I used to not like him at all at IGN for whatever reason but I have really come to enjoy him at KF. Now I don't agree with everything he says obviously but shares exactly what he feels even if he can be a little bit of a downer sometimes when it comes to games but he keeps things realistic.

Man people are so touchy.

Colin and Greg are always sarcastic when it comes to this lol

Greg was just saying the other day that he was playing Undertale on PC and Colin was addicted to Civ 5.

jacobeid

Banned
Please don't accuse me of being a hater, or a new fan, I've been listening to Beyond for ages, I jumped onto KF before it was KF, I was even featured in a Gregway. And I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't enjoy listening to the PSILY and C&GL. I just think a little bit of kindness and compassion, which you're usually pretty good for, can go along way.

Yeah, I started listening to Beyond before Greg or Colin were even on the podcast. Colin and I had lengthy Twitter conversations back and forth years ago while he was still a guides editor because I majored in history and played hockey. Their overall tone has absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% changed, and I agree that it's becoming less humurous and more like a shot at people who might enjoy those things for no reason.

Like I've said before in this thread, these quips don't bother me because I know where the jokes come from, but I don't understand why the tone has changed so drastically, and I completely understand why it turns some people off. Colin used to bookend his "baby PC players" segments with the caveat of his experience with Civ V and how a lot of it boiled down to him not wanting to use M&K, for example. (Edit: not saying they need to justify their jokes every time, but it used to be a "haha" sort of thing and now it's stated as fact.)

Again, it doesn't bother me personally, but I'm not sure why things changed and how people haven't noticed (or if they do how they're instantly berated by KF fans.....).

Yeah, I started listening to Beyond before Greg or Colin were even on the podcast. Colin and I had lengthy Twitter conversations back and forth years ago while he was still a guides editor because I majored in history and played hockey. Their overall tone has absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% changed, and I agree that it's becoming less humurous and more like a shot at people who might enjoy those things for no reason.

Like I've said before in this thread, these quips don't bother me because I know where the jokes come from, but I don't understand why the tone has changed so drastically, and I completely understand why it turns some people off. Colin used to bookend his "baby PC players" segments with the caveat of his experience with Civ V and how a lot of it boiled down to him not wanting to use M&K, for example. Edit: not saying they need to justify their jokes every time, but it used to be a "haha" sort of thing and now it's stated as fact.

Again, it doesn't bother me personally, but I'm not sure why things changed and how people haven't noticed (or if they do how they're instantly berated by KF fans.....).

Yeah I've never been personally offended by C&G, but I just would assume, if nothing else, it might be easier to NOT make those types of jokes about Ireland, New Zealand, PC gaming, etc etc then to constantly have people getting upset and having to explain that it's a joke. Especially when you compare that element of their humour with the rest of their jokes, and it's really not their best stuff either.... so what's the point??

I feel like all this going to do is ruin what we have enjoyed for so many years. I hope the Kinda Funny guys just keep doing what they are doing. Man now I get why Colin and Greg barely ever post on here. People are never happy.

If Colin and Greg have troubles addressing criticism, they're probably in the wrong jobs.

He really needs to appear on Danswers. Both he and Dan Ryckert would have a lot to talk about regarding anxiety. I'm also never giving up hope that Colin or Greg (or both) will show up on Unprofessional Fridays at least once.

Also, knowing you post over in the Giant Bomb thread, here are the times GB/GS guys appeared on Kinda Funny:

Dan Ryckert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyt6kPyjp5Y&list=PLy3mMHt2i7RJvHldaAIXfe6IPet7glUJ1&index=4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5a80qFhEHY&index=51&list=PLy3mMHt2i7RLL-C0e1hxUPGiPfYNzHUsB
Jeff Gerstmann: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlr6f0muxxE&list=PLOlEpGVXWUVuJMksvwU2NDxEbqFVzkJGX&index=88
Danny O'Dwyer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7LlvsDPbk&index=45&list=PLy3mMHt2i7RLL-C0e1hxUPGiPfYNzHUsB
Chris Watters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMnp7UmfWQ&list=PLy3mMHt2i7RLL-C0e1hxUPGiPfYNzHUsB&index=8

Also, bonus Giant Bomb friend, Gary Whitta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKy8DZHhYA&index=55&list=PLOlEpGVXWUVuJMksvwU2NDxEbqFVzkJGX, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNsuBUoWLKY&index=26&list=PLOlEpGVXWUVuJMksvwU2NDxEbqFVzkJGX

jacobeid

Banned
Yeah I've never been personally offended by C&G, but I just would assume, if nothing else, it might be easier to NOT make those types of jokes about Ireland, New Zealand, PC gaming, etc etc then to constantly have people getting upset and having to explain that it's a joke. Especially when you compare that element of their humour with the rest of their jokes, and it's really not their best stuff either.... so what's the point??

Ding ding ding.

Portugeezer

Greg, this reminds me of yesterday on C&GL when someone was upset you were making fun of Ireland. Same thing with all the jokes about the UK during the live stream at the start of February. Do you ever think it'd be easier to just not make mean spirited 'jokes' that could offend people? It just kind of comes across as bullying sometimes. Obviously some people are always going to be upset about small things, but you constantly rag on other cultures and other gaming communities/platforms. You can't just say mean stuff and then follow it up with "we were joking". "Joking" is not a get-of-jail card.
When you made fun of that guy who then deleted his Twitter account, he was just a fan who asked a dumb question, but you don't know if he was a kid, or someone with a mental disability, or what his story was. You could have either chosen to ignore him, or respond kindly, but instead you and your lynch mob were rude to him to the point he felt so embarrassed he deleted his account. He was just a fan of you! And then to top it off you make it an on-going joke? That doesn't make you feel awful?
Joking around and being immature is fun, but, and this especially true when you're the leader of a large community, you don't have to be insensitive or a bully.
True.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just watched the PSVR bit, one thing they keep forgetting about the price is that the PSVR specs are not as high as the others', and Vive comes with shit you need a whole room for.

The DK2 was more comparable to what the PSVR is, and that one was priced at $350 in 2014.

maverick40

Colins advice on career choice was spot on. I hope college students listen to his advice.

I wanted to be in the game industry when I was younger, thankfully I got a degree in rocket science so I didn't make the mistake and enter that industry

Hey--

<3
Greg

Look forward to next week's podcast where you review March's upcoming PS+ lineup and reminisce about that The Last Guy video review you did at IGN lol vintage G. Miller stuff.

Look forward to next week's podcast where you review March's upcoming PS+ lineup and reminisce about that The Last Guy video review you did at IGN lol vintage G. Miller stuff.

Do you watch Colin and Greg Live? They'll surely discuss the PS+ lineup there. It's live now: www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames. Their guest today is Jeremy Dunham of Psyonix, the makers of Rocket League. Jeremy was also the founder of the IGN PlayStation team and Podcast Beyond.

LiK

Hey--

<3
Greg

I just got to that part. holy shit, that joke was so obvious, I'm surprised anyone took you seriously.

btw, I agree. who wants beta FW for their consoles? no one should.

Raven117

Bwahaha, goodness guys. They are joking around...

Its okay to make jokes. Jokes are funny. Especially when they are meant to be jokes. Greg Miller likes making jokes. The jokes are sophomoric and boorish, but also hilarious and well done and (I thought it was obvious) he never means them in a mean spirited way.

I think many folks "on the internet" just need to lighten up!

Colin's segment at the end about getting a useful degree hit me hard.

I'll be graduating in June with a Mathematics degree that I fear will be useless. All year I've been thinking "god dammit I should have done engineering."

Well, too late for that.

LiK

I'll be graduating in June with a Mathematics degree that I fear will be useless. All year I've been thinking "god dammit I should have done engineering."

Well, too late for that.

Take online courses while working. It's never too late. That's what I'm doing now.

The trophy talk made me think of something I would love to be implemented in PSN. It would be nice to have some more charts and ways to view your trophies. PSN Profiles does a great job with this. Colin, Greg get Shu on board.

np4rziS.jpg

Well, too late for that.

i quit my job 5 years after i got my bachelors degree to go back to school. it's never too late

Top Bottom