• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

i quit my job 5 years after i got my bachelors degree to go back to school. it's never too late

I'm not gonna lie and no offence to you but that sounds scary. I'm going to grad school for my MPA and I'd freak out if I couldn't get the job I want.

But good on Colin to have a moment to moment with us fans and call it straight.

And yes I agree with your prior post that folks need to relax and chill. Not everyone has to be super uptight and PC all the time. Have some fun, live a little.

This was their best episode in a while. Colin seemed calmer and less like he was arguing with a made-up person on the internet. He made some great points about being realistic with degrees and his rant about the Vita was more the dry-humor Colin of old.

It's nice to hear people liking trophies as well, since they seemed to get crapped on a lot online.

Mezoly

Pretty good episode.

I know they said they don't mean it in a negative way. But this whole innovation topic was pretty weird. It seems they have some arbitrary criteria to what that change means. They mentioned AI as part of the criteria but then sort of dismissed the nemesis system which is AI. However, I wish the next gen would focus more on AI and increase the cpu power because it's getting a little stale in that area.

I'm not gonna lie and no offence to you but that sounds scary. I'm going to grad school for my MPA and I'd freak out if I couldn't get the job I want.

But good on Colin to have a moment to moment with us fans and call it straight.

And yes I agree with your prior post that folks need to relax and chill. Not everyone has to be super uptight and PC all the time. Have some fun, live a little.

I didn't get a chance to listen -- but what did he qualify as a useful degree?

I didn't get a chance to listen -- but what did he qualify as a useful degree?

The obvious really, something that is in demand and that you can get a job in. He did say he didn't want people to stop trying to achieve what they love, but if one wants to study stuff like journalism, history, or philosophy, etc, you will need to work hard and stand out amongst everyone else because pursuing something that you love isn't exactly the same as pursuing something that is in demand in the industry. They proceeded to explain how they were lucky because they got their offers at IGN, once they saw an open door, they went in and worked as hard as possible to prove themselves.

Legit trying to not laugh out loud after listening to Colin respond to the reader mail who didn`t like the Vita, if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Is it just me or did they go out of their way in this episode, especially when they were being jokey (like with Colin's response), to make sure people knew they were joking. To me, as a looooong time Podcast Beyond fan, that felt weird. It's always been clear to me when their jokes are tongue in cheek.

ssharm02

Banned
Colin's segment at the end about getting a useful degree hit me hard.

I'll be graduating in June with a Mathematics degree that I fear will be useless. All year I've been thinking "god dammit I should have done engineering."

Well, too late for that.
Meh never too late. With a degree in math u can easily go for computer science :D

GametimeUK

Greg is an awesome guy, but I disagree with him on pretty much everything. At least we share the love for MGS5 aka my favourite game of the generation so far. Amen to that gameplay loop, Greg. Glad to be in the vocal minority supporting this game with you.

Time to get in to this Podcast as I fall asleep. I hope it's a good one.

Vinc

Loved the last two episodes. The degree talk hit me hard, as someone who swung and sorta missed on my riskier degree. Still, I'm at entry level in the field I love and not making much money, but it's never too late and I can take online classes if need be and work my way up through experience. Plus my degree helped me grow as a person.

I really love this show.

They were being a bit too pedantic about the definition of adventure game and the existence of action-adventure. Uncharted is an Action-Adventure. The gameplay is action but the mechanics and story are adventure (puzzles, quest for relic, etc).

To quote Wikipedia:

Action-adventure is a hybrid genre, and thus the definition is very inclusive, leading it to be perhaps the broadest genre of video games. Typically, pure adventure games have situational problems for the player to solve, with very little or no action. If there is action, it is generally confined to isolated minigames. Pure action games have gameplay based on real-time interactions that challenge the reflexes. Therefore, action-adventure games engage both reflexes and problem-solving, in both violent and non-violent situations.

To contrast, Red Dead Redemption is an action game, not action-adventure. Portal is an adventure game, not action-adventure.

maverick40

Colin's segment at the end about getting a useful degree hit me hard.

I'll be graduating in June with a Mathematics degree that I fear will be useless. All year I've been thinking "god dammit I should have done engineering."

Well, too late for that.

Sup man! I got a degree in astrophysics and mathematics I am now working for a Fortune 500 company. Your degree in maths will get you an excellent career

GOOCHY

Weird. I just completed Symphony of the Night last month on the Vita and had no problems whatsoever using it without a grip. That alone is about 12 hours of usage.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Colin's humour has been so on point recently, his OTT/self-deprecating rants have been the highlight of Kinda Funny's content over the past couple of weeks for me.

He's definitely at his best when he can poke fun at his character and play with audience expectations. He's opening up more personally as well - perhaps taking a leaf out of Greg's heart-on-sleeve book - and it's great seeing his mood improve along with his circumstances.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Completely disagree with their definition of an adventure game, but understand their reasoning.

Maybe it changes depending on the era you started gaming? I wasn't a serious gamer until N64/PS1, whereas Colin & Greg were playing since Master System & NES.

Portugeezer

I find myself constantly disagreeing with their thoughts on VR.

$500 for PS VR? What is Colin's thinking behind this? He didn't really go into much detail, just mentions R&D, which is a factor in everything, even the $400 launch PS4. The Move tech in PS VR has been around for years now and the screen technology in PS VR is cheaper than Oculus, which would be the next closest in price.

Regarding the VR install base, I can understand what Greg is saying, but we shouldn't overlook that a VR game can (if developers make it so) also work without VR. Of course, if it's created with VR in mind it will be best on VR, but you don't have to limit yourself out of a potential bigger audience. Then there's games like EVE Valkyrie which is a normal game but with great VR support.

Is it just me or did they go out of their way in this episode, especially when they were being jokey (like with Colin's response), to make sure people knew they were joking. To me, as a looooong time Podcast Beyond fan, that felt weird. It's always been clear to me when their jokes are tongue in cheek.

No I felt the same way. For the past couple of episodes after the wings incident it looks like they've been treading lightly and making sure to be like "hey this is a joke"

For folks like yourself and I, it has been clear when their jokes are tongue in cheek. For others not so much.

Solid episode and glad that Colin doubled down on his realistic POV regarding post secondary education. Do what you love and strive for your goals but don't put yourself in a disadvantaged position.

Ayn Rand

80458-Im-Out-George-Costanza-Seinfel-HAqL.gif

I agree with Colin on the degree talk. I have a degree in Health Care Management and even though I'm in a different industry if something ever happens I feel secure that if my career has to go on hold I can find a good paying job.

haha. he called metroid prime a FPS on the gamescast last week. that's like calling zelda a hack n slash game.
I don't understand their point of view. Being an FPS doesn't preclude Metroid Prime from being an action-adventure. Metroid is pretty textbook an action-adventure. Always have been, even when it went first person. It fucking created a subgenre of action-adventure, the Metroidvanian.

I don't understand their point of view. Being an FPS doesn't preclude Metroid Prime from being an action-adventure. Metroid is pretty textbook an action-adventure. Always have been, even when it went first person. It fucking created a subgenre of action-adventure, the Metroidvanian.

yeah it's reductive to call it a FPS simply because it's first person and has shooting. like calling mgsv a tps. if mgsv is a tps, what is gears of war or uncharted? those games aren't even remotely similar

yeah it's reductive to call it a FPS simply because it's first person and has shooting. like calling mgsv a tps. if mgsv is a tps, what is gears of war or uncharted? those games aren't even remotely similar
First person shooter is just a mode of gameplay, not a genre. Sidescroller is a mode of gameplay, not a genre.

You can have action, adventure, action-adventure, puzzle, etc FPSes.

MGSV is a third person shooter because TPS is just a mode of gameplay, not a genre.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
First person shooter is just a mode of gameplay, not a genre. Sidescroller is a mode of gameplay, not a genre.

MGSV is a third person shooter because TPS is just a mode of gameplay, not a genre.

Agreed.

I don't agree. Shooter is definitely a genre. Perspective aside. MP is not a shooter though

LiK

Not only that, he holds a Bachelor's degree in US History. Had he not gone into this industry, he says he would've gone for his Masters.

well ok, i wouldn't have one into that for college but that's def one of my fave subjects. they should do a Kinda Funny Historycast

well ok, i wouldn't have one into that for college but that's def one of my fave subjects. they should do a Kinda Funny Historycast

A while back, I suggested a series where Colin plays Civilization V (a game he absolutely adores) and talks history while he plays.

It's interesting that they mentioned Greg's habit of saying, "you know what I mean?" constantly. It just dawned on me about a month ago and now I can't stop noticing it. It's truly remarkable (and kinda annoying) how much he says it. But kudos to him for working on saying it less.

Don't know if anyone else is like this, but I've found myself shouting, "Yes, Greg...I know what you mean!!" while driving and listening.

5olid_5nake

Does anyone remember the number of the episode when at the start I believe Kevin and Colin start "fighting" over something. I remember that Kevin got really heated up and I was laughing my ass off.

Also I can't recall if it was PS I love you or GOG.

ST2K

Does anyone remember the number of the episode when at the start I believe Kevin and Colin start "fighting" over something. I remember that Kevin got really heated up and I was laughing my ass off.

Also I can't recall if it was PS I love you or GOG.

Kevin's not a part of PSILY, so that's probably gonna be a GOG show.

Also I'm pretty sure he's fought Kevin dozens of times at this point.

5olid_5nake

Kevin's not a part of PSILY, so that's probably gonna be a GOG show.

Also I'm pretty sure he's fought Kevin dozens of times at this point.

I think it was something about who was the originator of the GOG show and Kinda Funny. And Kevin was arguing about how Greg was his boss and not Colin.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, so I apologize in advance in case I was dreaming all this stuff :D.

Top Bottom