• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

What did Tim say at the end (I think that was Tim)? It sounded like he said the camera wasn't recording. I assume that was a joke to spook Kevin, but it cut off just as he was reacting.

This gets a 5/5, if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If they do read this, I would say that it would be nice if we had a guest once every 2/3 episodes for diversity's sake. I'm watching this either way on the day it releases regardless if this happens, but I think it would be a nice + to the podcast. Keep up the great work you beautiful bastards.

This gets a 5/5, if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If they do read this, I would say that it would be nice if we had a guest once every 2/3 episodes for diversity's sake. I'm watching this either way on the day it releases regardless if this happens, but I think it would be a nice + to the podcast. Keep up the great work you beautiful bastards.

Seconded

I think I have a simple solution for why they'd delay Uncharted 4 by another month. They probably need to get the servers ready so they don't have another Driveclub disaster. I agree it is getting tiresome to be so close and keep having it bumped by a month, but I guess it's better than releasing broken as hell.

Genio88

Why is there a thread about a Playstation side podcast on Neogaf while there isn't one about Podcast Unlocked which is dedicated to Xbox?

ST2K

I will add to today's discussion of Uncharted's writing (and will make some enemies) by saying I never found it particularly amazing, though I only played UC1, GA, and a small part of UC2.

With that being said, I also think the Naughty Gods rep ND has is largely overblown and unwarranted. TLoU was amazing, but Uncharted never clicked with me and isn't all that inventive from either a gameplay or a writing perspective. So letter writer, you're not alone in your opinion of Uncharted.

Why is there a thread about a Playstation side podcast on Neogaf while there isn't one about Podcast Unlocked which is dedicated to Xbox?

Probably the same reason there isn't an ongoing thread about Podcast Beyond.

While I don't particularily find the Uncharted stories to be great, I do think the characters are unmatched. Nathan and the gang are just so damn likable! The story doesn't have to be deep or original if your characters are strong.

Same for The Last of Us. The story is extremely basic and cliché, but the characters are what make it the masterpiece we know today. I feel that a lot of developers try and create convoluted stories with shocking twists and turns only to have boring as hell characters. You can't sell a good story with poorly written characters, but you can sell an ok story with great characters.

zsynqx

I will add to today's discussion of Uncharted's writing (and will make some enemies) by saying I never found it particularly amazing, though I only played UC1, GA, and a small part of UC2.

With that being said, I also think the Naughty Gods rep ND has is largely overblown and unwarranted. TLoU was amazing, but Uncharted never clicked with me and isn't all that inventive from either a gameplay or a writing perspective. So letter writer, you're not alone in your opinion of Uncharted.

I agree the writing in the original Uncharted games is nothing spectacular. They are fun stories but what elevates them for many is the likeable characters and witty dialogue. The story in 3 though was a bit of a mess. (Can be partly blamed on rushed development etc.)

TLOU has phenomenal writing imo, especially when it comes to characters, who have a ton of depth. Joel and Ellie both have believable arcs, making choices that feel honest and consistent with who they are. In addition, the game used subtlety in a way that no other has in it's storytelling (at least none that I have played.) Plus, that ending.

With Druckmann now heading up writing duties on UC4 + after seeing the story trailer and the themes they are now dealing I have very high hopes that we will get something great in that regard.

While I don't particularily find the Uncharted stories to be great, I do think the characters are unmatched. Nathan and the gang are just so damn likable! The story doesn't have to be deep or original if your characters are strong.

Same for The Last of Us. The story is extremely basic and cliché, but the characters are what make it the masterpiece we know today. I feel that a lot of developers try and create convoluted stories with shocking twists and turns only to have boring as hell characters. You can't sell a good story with poorly written characters, but you can sell an ok story with great characters.

How it should be for the type of game they are making. Games are generally very bad at exposition, so keep the stories basic and allow the complexities to come from the characters.

Because of Colin and Greg. I don't see any podcast beyond threads now they have left.

i'm expecting uncharted to take a noticeable leap in the writing department with neil. i thought the characters in uncharted were well written by amy and well fleshed out (at least the protagonists were), but i don't think it's even in the same league as the last of us in terms of overall quality. i understand there's obviously going to be a gap between the two because the serious tone of TLoU vs. the pulp-action movie stuff in uncharted, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement and i think there's a place for drama and emotion intermingled with the witty quips. I think that's exactly what neil brought to the table when he stepped in and changed things.

This is definitely correct. Though I will say even though TLOUès overall story was cliche, it had some very strong story elements in the game.

Harlock

Maybe that Black Flag concept art caused more problems to Uncharted 4. In the trailer, the pictured faded into a location that looks exactly like that rock formation. And that could be part of a level.

Macafferty is a joke imo, raging fanboy acting as a journalist.
I agree with this. One thing I've always liked about Collin and Greg is that they're not afraid to tell it like it is. Even if it's about PlayStation. And they're not scared to mention other platforms.

Ryan Mcaffery on the other hand just seems like he'd never say anything bad about Xbox. And of the few times I've heard him, he could be talking about a multiplat game and will never once mention it's coming to playstation.

That's just what I've noticed. Not really big deals but does get irritating to me for some reason.

I agree with this. One thing I've always liked about Collin and Greg is that they're not afraid to tell it like it is. Even if it's about PlayStation. And they're not scared to mention other platforms.

Ryan Mcaffery on the other hand just seems like he'd never say anything bad about Xbox. And of the few times I've heard him, he could be talking about a multiplat game and will never once mention it's coming to playstation.

That's just what I've noticed. Not really big deals but does get irritating to me for some reason.

There is a difference between bias and being a fanboy. Colin and Greg obviously prefer PS but are often critical of sony. Ryan is not objective at all he is pretty much a fanboy imo.

Fawk Nin

I often get that impression from Podcast Unlocked but one thing I like about Ryan is his interview skills. He often asks interesting questions and gets a lot out of his interviewees. I enjoy the unfiltered line of podcasts.

I agree that I respect Colin and Greg's (more so Colin) willingness to tell it like it is. PSX really showed this testicular fortitude off.

I think Uncharted has decent writing, but I think it does become too much of the same after a while which is probably why people didn't like Uncharted 3 as much as Greg did. I felt like there were only so many times that Nate could come out of a tomb and still be shocked that the villain was standing there waiting for him. When it's the 6th time that's happened, it really loses its shock value, you know what I mean?

Fawk Nin

I think Uncharted has decent writing, but I think it does become too much of the same after a while which is probably why people didn't like Uncharted 3 as much as Greg did. I felt like there were only so many times that Nate could come out of a tomb and still be shocked that the villain was standing there waiting for him. When it's the 6th time that's happened, it really loses its shock value, you know what I mean?

I know what you mean.

DKHF

I find it ironic how Colin was saying on this week's show he thinks Sony might have felt pressured to announce Horizon too early at E3 because they had nothing else "big" first party wise to announce, yet there was actually a rumour (from Shinobi?) that Sony was originally gonna force Guerrilla to announce the game at E3 2014 but they gave it one more year in the oven (thankfully). I think it's unrealistic to expect them to announce a AAA new IP within 6 months of coming out, maybe a year away would be okay.

They talk about Uncharted story this week? 5 bucks at one point I will hear "Uncharted 2 was beat for beat Uncharted 1..." etc., etc. from a man who's name rhymes with Leg Chiller...

Buntabox

They talk about Uncharted story this week? 5 bucks at one point I will hear "Uncharted 2 was beat for beat Uncharted 1..." etc., etc.

You'd be hard pressed to get anyone to take that bet.

Replaying all three games back to back, 3 just comes off as weaker than 2. It's not even that Uncharted 3's story is bad. I actually love the TE Lawrence angle, the Atlantis of the Sands, Drake's past, etc. It's the game design backing it up. It has a lot of really weird moments. Talbot foot chase. Fistfights. That short horseback sequence in the town. The not-as-good-as-UC2's-caravan sequence. They feel subpar with the rest of Uncharted's gunplay, platforming and set pieces. Even the enemy design by the end is just tons of guys with Tau Snipers, T-Bolts, and grenade launchers. So naturally, you are fighting with mostly these as well. It doesn't feel as cohesively planned as the monastery/ Shambala sections of Uncharted 2. Here you still have reason to use a wide range of weaponry, but find the occasional sniper or grenade launcher.

Granted, I've only been listening to Podcast Unlocked since Nov 2014 but McCaffrey hasn't comes across to me as a "raging fanboy". The opposite in fact, I like his interview style and sometimes takes his interviewee to task and asks hard pressed questions.

His IGN unfiltered podcast is a good example. Has it been mostly MS folks? Yes but I chalk that up to him pulling strings to get people on.

After Podcast Beyond tanked, Game Scoop and Podcast Unlocked are the only IGN podcasts I listen to. McCaffrey is good in my book.

I find it ironic how Colin was saying on this week's show he thinks Sony might have felt pressured to announce Horizon too early at E3 because they had nothing else "big" first party wise to announce, yet there was actually a rumour (from Shinobi?) that Sony was originally gonna force Guerrilla to announce the game at E3 2014 but they gave it one more year in the oven (thankfully). I think it's unrealistic to expect them to announce a AAA new IP within 6 months of coming out, maybe a year away would be okay.
Yeah, I don`t think it was rushed lol... Saying that, I`m worried Horizone and TLG might not make 2016...

MrBenchmark

Listen to this show all the time. fun fact Greg has me blocked on twitter because I once gave him shit about being a bit of a fan boy. I don't even remember what I said. I still like to listen to him and colin.

Granted, I've only been listening to Podcast Unlocked since Nov 2014 but McCaffrey hasn't comes across to me as a "raging fanboy". The opposite in fact, I like his interview style and sometimes takes his interviewee to task and asks hard pressed questions.

His IGN unfiltered podcast is a good example. Has it been mostly MS folks? Yes but I chalk that up to him pulling strings to get people on.

After Podcast Beyond tanked, Game Scoop and Podcast Unlocked are the only IGN podcasts I listen to. McCaffrey is good in my book.
Yeah, I wouldn't say he is a raging fanboy either. However, he can let his biases outdo his better judgement at times though.

Yeah, I wouldn't say he is a raging fanboy either. However, he can let his biases outdo his better judgement at times though.

Agreed. The only questionable thing I've seen him do is when he petitioned to host Microsoft's E3 conference a few years ago. Though, I'm not sure if he was totally serious.

Agreed. The only questionable thing I've seen him do is when he petitioned to host Microsoft's E3 conference a few years ago. Though, I'm not sure if he was totally serious.

Did you see his titanfall review before editing it? HE always spins every positive for MS, even the resolution difference was "People can't see it" nonsense. At least greg and colin are critical often when it is warranted.

He was intolerable during 2013 when his stance was that Microsoft was inventing something amazing and the fans/press were crazy to not trust them.

AmuroChan

So true. Marty brings down the podcast and Ryan isn't a good host. I'd tried listening to podcast unlock after podcast beyond went down in quality.

I don't really see Marty as the problem. I liked when he was the 3rd chair opposite Greg/Colin. Max and Brian, on the other hand, have turned Beyond into Comedy Button v.2. The Brappid Fire segment is the most egregious. Most of the questions they pick have nothing to do with PlayStation whatsoever.

Did you see his titanfall review before editing it? HE always spins every positive for MS, even the resolution difference was "People can't see it" nonsense. At least greg and colin are critical often when it is warranted.

Don't forget his theory that Kojima went to Sony because Microsoft turned him down first for being too expensive.

Forgot about those moments. Yeah, those were pretty bad. However, I think he's sort of mellowed in that respect somewhat (granted, I don't listen to his podcast or visit IGN all that much anymore). I suppose it's because Greg's not there, but he's been hosting several previews of PS4 exclusives with enthusiasm and excitement such as MLB: The Show 16 (he's a bug baseball fan), No Man's Sky, and Golem (the IGN First game of the month).

AmuroChan

Forgot about those moments. Yeah, those were pretty bad. However, I think he's sort of mellowed in that respect somewhat (granted, I don't listen to his podcast or visit IGN all that much anymore). I suppose it's because Greg's not there, but he's been hosting several previews of PS4 exclusives with enthusiasm and excitement such as MLB: The Show 16 (he's a bug baseball fan), No Man's Sky, and Golem (the IGN First game of the month).

I do wish his facts about non-XB games are more accurate though. He's said on multiple Unlocked that NMS is coming to X1 eventually. He also thinks that Kojima's Sony exclusive may only be a timed exclusive and will also come to X1 eventually.

I do wish his facts about non-XB games are more accurate though. He's said on multiple Unlocked that NMS is coming to X1 eventually. He also thinks that Kojima's Sony exclusive may only be a timed exclusive and will also come to X1 eventually.

Hmmm. Unless Hello Games has said otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if NMS did eventually come to XB1. As for the Kojima game, it's Sony published, so that won't happen. The only way I can see people playing Kojima's game on XB1 is if Microsoft makes a way to stream all PC games to XB1.

Hmmm. Unless Hello Games has said otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if NMS did eventually come to XB1. As for the Kojima game, it's Sony published, so that won't happen. The only way I can see people playing Kojima's game on XB1 is if Microsoft makes a way to stream all PC games to XB1.

No man's sky is a Console exclusive...it is pretty clear it is not coming to x1. They would not be saying console exclusive if it was timed, it would be debut or timed exclusive.

Top Bottom