• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Do you not understand that this idea is turning consoles into gaming PC's. If this happens you think they will stop at 4.5? Eventually the console space comes just like the PC space.

except less expensive and more user friendly than a pc. as many in the media have pointed out. phones, tablets, etc have been doing this forever. you come to expect to upgrade your phone after 2 years. consoles getting a refresh every 4 years or so isn't that crazy of a concept, especially if purchases and games cross-over

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
10%?!?! I think you're giving GAF way too much credit here lol, I was thinking 0.001%. Think about it, GAF has around 167,000 members (Source: GAF home page). Even then, not all of them are actively engaged in the gaming side of the forum, so let's use 160,000 as the base figure.

Around 1.2 billion people play games around the world with approximately 700 million playing online games. Let's say the number of 'core-casual console' gamers is around 160 million (based on last gen's figures for PS3/Xbox 360's, and perhaps by the end of this gen too for PS4/Xbox One/NX if each install base estimate is reached), ~50% of whom are maybe 'PlayStation gamers' (now this percentage is probably off, but you'll see my point). GAF would then be only like 0.001% relative to the "core" gamers, and 0.002% to the PlayStation gamers (Source: Google averages).

My Math probably has a significant degree of error, as they are just estimated figures, but you get my point lol; for GAF to have 10% of the world's population of gamers, it would have to have 120 million users if we're counting the people who play games around the world, or 16 million users if we're counting 'core-casual console gamers'.

I was giving GAF too much credit, but I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

For the price they'd need to sell at, there's zero chance that they'll be able to kit this out with an APU that is able to output real 4K at decent framerates. For example, a GTX 970 can kind of do it (30ish FPS or a little lower depending on the game) when it has a good CPU with it. But that combo is $400-500 and that's before RAM, HDD etc. So if sony is set on marketing this as a 4K machine you'd better love FPS in the 15-20 range.

If its just a PS4 with a good upscaler then that's practically false advertising. Besides. don't most 4K TVs have their own native upscaling?

I fully agree. The best they can hope for is doubling the power of the GPU, and even that would be quite the engineering accomplishment, given the limits in cost, heat and power consumption that a console has.

I think the PS4.5 would be a great idea, but it should have only these three features:
- runs games at 50-60 FPS with identical quality otherwise
(I.e. additional GPU power only allowed for frame rate improvements)
- supports 4K blu rays
- more possibilities for VR: the PS4 is just not powerful enough for any ambitious VR projects

Then sell it at $500, and sell the PS4 at $250. Everybody should be pretty happy about this: Games would still look the same on both consoles for most people, companies would still be forced to optimize their games to get 30fps on PS4.

Mezoly

I fully agree. The best they can hope for is doubling the power of the GPU, and even that would be quite the engineering accomplishment, given the limits in cost, heat and power consumption that a console has.

I think the PS4.5 would be a great idea, but it should have only these three features:
- runs games at 50-60 FPS with identical quality otherwise
(I.e. additional GPU power only allowed for frame rate improvements)
- supports 4K blu rays
- more possibilities for VR: the PS4 is just not powerful enough for any ambitious VR projects

Then sell it at $500, and sell the PS4 at $250. Everybody should be pretty happy about this: Games would still look the same on both consoles for most people, companies would still be forced to optimize their games to get 30fps on PS4.

Who would force these companies to have stable framerate? They don't have it forced now they will have more excuses to blame for bad frame rate.

prwxv3

Pretty shitty start from Shu's teams this gen to be fair. Games taking forever to release, games being pushed at will, massive AAA game cancelled well into development, games not living up to their potential & one of the teams shut down. 2 1/2 years into the generation and we have a GT Lite trailer of Sport with GT7 nowhere in line. I like Shu a ton, but that's some fucking awful management from this generation. : I'm confident at least one of TLG & Horizon will be pushed to 2017 and wouldn't be surprised at all if both do. If TLG gets pushed back than someone up in management deserves to be fired. Pathetic to show it after years of missing out and then pushing it another year after that.

Also Colin is right about PS4.5. If I want something upgradeable, I'd get a PC. I like my PS4 because it's simple and easy to use. Also developers can truly squeeze the absolute most that they can out of the console since there is only 1 set spec of it, while when you do this that no longer applies.

If you want big AAA games then you will have to wait for them. Deal with it. That's why indie and smaller games are important.

ST2K

If you want big AAA games then you will have to wait for them. Deal with it. That's why indie and smaller games are important.

Sony's screwed up if it takes longer than three years for a "AAA" game to come out. They've been inefficient when it comes to getting things out in a timely manner while simultaneously cutting first party studios left and right.

It doesn't seem to be hurting them sales-wise due to how badly MS has bungled things this gen, but let's not pretend they're not making mistakes.

kadotsu

Banned
To prove Sony's current inefficiencies one only needs to look at the New Everybody's Golf title. It was announced 18 months ago, hasn't a release date, yet, and quite frankly - doesn't look like it should take this long to develop.

Sony's screwed up if it takes longer than three years for a "AAA" game to come out. They've been inefficient when it comes to getting things out in a timely manner while simultaneously cutting first party studios left and right.

It doesn't seem to be hurting them sales-wise due to how badly MS has bungled things this gen, but let's not pretend they're not making mistakes.
It always takes a while for the heavy hitter first party titles to arrive. Besides, it's not like we've been devoid of first party titles. There's the launch games, Bloodborne was worked on in part by Japan studio, Sucker Punch released inFamous Second Son, Evolution released Driveclub, which clearly couldn't save the developer but it did release and did ok. Gravity Rush and Tearaway port/remasters. Uncharted will be out soon, and so will Ratchet and Clank (not first party developer, but a Sony franchise. Same for Until Dawn). Honestly there have been tons of exclusive Sony titles so far this generation, and only more to come.

prwxv3

You have no idea how game development works now adays if you think that three years is too long to make a big AAA game. Thinking that it takes less then three years to make a game like horizon ect is delusional.

ST2K

It always takes a while for the heavy hitter first party titles to arrive. Besides, it's not like we've been devoid of first party titles. There's the launch games, Bloodborne was worked on in part by Japan studio, Sucker Punch released inFamous Second Son, Evolution released Driveclub, which clearly couldn't save the developer but it did release and did ok. Gravity Rush and Tearaway port/remasters. Uncharted will be out soon, and so will Ratchet and Clank (not first party developer, but a Sony franchise. Same for Until Dawn). Honestly there have been tons of exclusive Sony titles so far this generation, and only more to come.

I understand your point, but even in your list you have examples of some of the things I would take issue with.

- Second Son was a launch title that got pushed back a few months and still felt very much like a launch title.
- Driveclub's problems launching were numerous and well-documented.
- Ports and remasters get used to plug holes in their lineup. (The Nathan Drake Collection being used as their big exclusive last holiday was terrible.)

And that doesn't even mention weird shit like The Order 1886, a long hyped and slaved over project, coming out and being mediocre at best, while a big AAA project from SSM gets canned. Yes, Bloodborne was great. I'm not saying there's nothing good to come from PS4's exclusive lineup. Just that there have been some major screw-ups to this point.

Banned
The PS4 is finally hitting its stride in 2016 in terms of first party support, and it's selling like hot cakes. Fragmenting the user base now would be foolish.

prwxv3

I understand your point, but even in your list you have examples of some of the things I would take issue with.

- Second Son was a launch title that got pushed back a few months and still felt very much like a launch title.
- Driveclub's problems launching were numerous and well-documented.
- Ports and remasters get used to plug holes in their lineup. (The Nathan Drake Collection being used as their big exclusive last holiday was terrible.)

And that doesn't even mention weird shit like The Order 1886, a long hyped and slaved over project, coming out and being mediocre at best, while a big AAA project from SSM gets canned. Yes, Bloodborne was great. I'm not saying there's nothing good to come from PS4's exclusive lineup. Just that there have been some major screw-ups to this point.

SS felling like a launch game is subjective. SSM game got canned because it was not working. They have had no huge software gaps because of all the indie games being released on the system. Those count.

Deal with it? I'm saying he's done a shitty job, what does that have to do with dealing with it? What a pointless answer. Indies being more important this gen doesn't change what I said.

Trojan

The PS4 is finally hitting its stride in 2016 in terms of first party support, and it's selling like hot cakes. Fragmenting the user base now would be foolish.

Agreed, which is why I think people are going overboard with speculation that this new version will be akin to a half-step in the console cycle.

I don't think there is any way Sony goes with a plan where the current PS4 SKU cannot play all games that release for PlayStation in the next 2 years (sans VR). It took so long to get devs on board for the current generation; adding in a new console so early will not only disenfranchise customers, it will have hardly any game content designed specifically for that power.

Much more likely: I think this new PS will have specific upgrades specific to VR and/or 4K upscaling and that's it. The additional processing power for those features could potentially be repurposed to run existing games at a higher resolution/frame rate, which Sony builds into a new firmware upgrade so the devs can essentially just select options for their games rather than spending a bunch of time writing their own code.

Banned
Agreed, which is why I think people are going overboard with speculation that this new version will be akin to a half-step in the console cycle.

I don't think there is any way Sony goes with a plan where the current PS4 SKU cannot play all games that release for PlayStation in the next 2 years (sans VR). It took so long to get devs on board for the current generation; adding in a new console so early will not only disenfranchise customers, it will have hardly any game content designed specifically for that power.

Much more likely: I think this new PS will have specific upgrades specific to VR and/or 4K upscaling and that's it. The additional processing power for those features could potentially be repurposed to run existing games at a higher resolution/frame rate, which Sony builds into a new firmware upgrade so the devs can essentially just select options for their games rather than spending a bunch of time writing their own code.
Yeah. It'll be a sku with built in VR capabilities and ports, and output games to 4K (but not render 4K). You'll essentially be taking a 1080p image and scaling it to fit your 4K tv.

Couldn't agree more with Colin regarding ps4.5. As a software engineer(not a game dev) here is the issues I think ps4.5 will create:

1. More bugs as there are two configuration to fix bugs for.
2. More performance issues as devs has two configuration to optimize for.
3. The lowest common denominator will still wins, holding ps4.5 back anyway.
4. The 60% advantage the consoles has vs the same pc specs will be lower.

I think 5-6 years generation is much better suited for current day technology. If I'm not mistaken there hasn't been many gpu advances in recent years.

Yeah.

prwxv3

Deal with it? I'm saying he's done a shitty job, what does that have to do with dealing with it? What a pointless answer. Indies being more important this gen doesn't change what I said.

AAA games take longer now. And the only reason why he is allowing games to be delayed because they can now. Name one bad thing about the current announced games. I am not saying he is perfect ( The order, studio closures, ect.) but the game lineup looks great.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Good interview with Shannon. I must say, however, that Colin missed the opportunity of asking her about the cancelled IP. We need something about that.

thrilling topic, never heard them talk about that before lol

Having not watched it yet, it seems, going by the episode's description, a listener bought a Vita because his wife is sick. I assume that means she's hospitalized. He asked for Vita recommendations.

Karu

Having not watched it yet, it seems, going by the episode's description, a listener bought a Vita because his wife is sick. I assume that means she's hospitalized. He asked for Vita recommendations.
Still not a thrilling topic, but okay... cancer sucks. :-/ If this topic keeps up his spirits while supporting his wife, that's genuinely great.

Early on the podcast. Colin giving Greg shit for just not going to a party but turning it into a twitter even was fucking hilarious. :D "Why can't you just go to a fucking party?"

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Hey Colin, Gregg... If you don't have the will to do a podcast, I'd rather you just not do one than gives us what you did this week.

GOOCHY

Yeah, maybe Colin should adjust his meds or whatever he needs to do to get out of this funk. Either that or, you know, be at least somewhat professional on camera since this is what you do for a living.

Funny how the latest vid drops while I actually am looking to buy a Vita. Anyone still enjoying theirs or believe it's worth the money? Should I go used.

ST2K

Hey Colin, Gregg... If you don't have the will to do a podcast, I'd rather you just not do one than gives us what you did this week.

Yeah, maybe Colin should adjust his meds or whatever he needs to do to get out of this funk. Either that or, you know, be at least somewhat professional on camera since this is what you do for a living.

What were your problems with it?

Funny how the latest vid drops while I actually am looking to buy a Vita. Anyone still enjoying theirs or believe it's worth the money? Should I go used.

I would only recommend it if you haven't played Persona 4 or the idea of playing a bunch of indie games on a handheld sounds awesome to you.

As someone who rarely enjoys the latter, it's been a pretty poor handheld for me.

Sort of a waste of a podcast. Why even throw it up when they both seem to just be going through the motions. So the RoosterTeeth bullshit begins.

Sort of a waste of a podcast. Why even throw it up when they both seem to just be going through the motions. So the RoosterTeeth bullshit begins.

So the hyperbole begins, like holy shit lol, you've been on their ass since they announced the partnership.

Like seriously, no one is forcing you to watch them...I mean if you're not fond of their bullshit (just because of this episode, that btw they still did and are under no obligation to do so -- especially as it's not tied to their patreon), then it's probably best you don't overreact or just stop watching. I mean come on, you're reaching, aren't ya?

Corpsepyre

Banned
I've watched every episode fully, and I couldn't finish this one. They seem down and out. Best to just not release one rather than halfassing it. Next time I guess.

KOMANI

KOMANI
You know what you do when you don't feel like watching an episode?... You don't watch it!
Don't go on forums and ruin it for those that want a new episode.

Memory

So the hyperbole begins, like holy shit lol, you've been on their ass since they announced the partnership.

Like seriously, no one is forcing you to watch them...I mean if you're not!fond of their bullshit just because of this episode (that they still did btw), then it's probably best you don't overreact or just stop watching. I mean come on, you're reaching, aren't ya?

Its the net so people are going to over react. The show was cool imo, nothing special this week but they can't all be awesome. I thought they would have more to say considering how much C&G we have missed over the past week, i'm not happy that we also won't get any until the end of this week either, now that you can blame on RT ;).

Seriously though its a 'free' show that they don't have to do, they were clearly tired from other shit so people should give them a break.

Seriously I think its a waste of money unless your commuting a lot, there are a small number of exclusives of varying quality and nothing of note on the horizon that can't be played elsewhere. The rest of the good games are on PS4/PS3 and are better when played on PS4 IMO.

That said as a portable device its fine but sitting at home playing it when you could be playing a PS4 is abit silly imo. Better to save the cash for PSVR or the rumoured upgrades or anything else.

Like seriously, no one is forcing you to watch them...I mean if you're not!fond of their bullshit just because of this episode (that they still did btw), then it's probably best you don't overreact or just stop watching. I mean come on, you're reaching, aren't ya?

Just me? Open your eyes and read some more comments. My comments aren't so out of the ordinary as you may think.

I fail to see how this episode was significantly different than other episodes other than the change in venue. They seemed a bit tired but it was still a good episode. I thought TotS was particularly good because it is something Greg can relate to intimately and they were helping out a member of the community.

Nope it isn't just this video/podcast but it is not like I am the only one noticing what is going on.

Look, I didn't mean to come across as hostile, I admit I'm a bit tired, so I apologise, and I agree that this podcast wasn't their best, but still, I'm just saying you can probably direct the feedback in a better way.

Look, I didn't mean to come across as hostile, I admit I'm a bit tired, so I apologise, and I agree that this podcast wasn't their best, but still, I'm just saying you can probably direct the feedback in a better way.

Would you like me to message them directly? You really think they are going to bother to read it? Come on, man.

Would you like me to message them directly? You really think they are going to bother to read it? Come on, man.
You are being insanely negative. They've shown themselves to be very responsive to constructive, well-meaning criticism. If you just want to whine for the sake of whining they might not listen, but if you have valid concerns I'm sure they'll give you the time of day. Also it's too early to tell what sort of effect their partnership with Rooster Teeth has had on any of their content. Don't jump the gun.

You are being insanely negative. They've shown themselves to be very responsive to constructive, well-meaning criticism. If you just want to whine for the sake of whining they might not listen, but if you have valid concerns I'm sure they'll give you the time of day. Also it's too early to tell what sort of effect their partnership with Rooster Teeth has had on any of their content. Don't jump the gun.

Thank you -- this is what I was trying to get across.

notaxation

Neo Member

I'm not on any meds. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I was, however, in the hot Texas sun filming for six or seven hours right before we went on camera, and I wasn't feeling very well. At all.

We're not exactly known for being professional -- so I'll skip your unsolicited advice -- but we are known for keeping our word to our audience. And we told our audience that we'd do our very best to never miss a week of PSILY, no matter what. So Greg harassed some folks at RT we barely knew to give us a corner to work in in what was literally a small office in an out-of-the-way warehouse, a camera with a faulty battery that died halfway through the shoot, and some mics. We had significant technical difficulties even getting things working at all. Our mics gave out 20 minutes in, and we had to use the shotgun mic instead. That shoot took way longer than it should have, and we jumped over quite a few hurdles -- with the help of some kind folks -- to make it happen at all.

But we still posted something -- due mostly to Greg's hard work both before and after the shoot -- because we said we would. And I guarantee you, most of the audience will be just fine with it, and thankful that we did our best to deliver, even if we were absolutely shot. It's like the old days of Podcast Beyond, when we'd record post-GDC and post-E3 episodes with a voice recorder. I guess that was when the Internet was just a little kinder, and a little more understanding that there are real people with real feelings putting forth real effort on the other side of the vitriol people like you spew.

You can make things personal if you want (and you clearly want to), but here's my advice: If you don't like the show, don't watch it. And trust me, I speak for Greg on that front, too. For everyone else who understands our humor, understands that we wear our hearts on our sleeves, and understands that we have our on weeks and off, we salute you.

I hope the rest of you are doing well. -Colin

notaxation

Neo Member
thrilling topic, never heard them talk about that before lol

I'd actually agree with you if I had no context, but... I do, because it's my show.

I will say that you should give it a listen. I think it's a nice "here's a lot of random stuff you should think about with Vita" topic that goes beyond just the games library. OLED or Slim? What kind of memory card? Et cetera. It's a nice catch-all for our audience that I think Vita owners and prospective Vita owners alike will enjoy.

But, I'll leave that up to you.

Top Bottom