• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

LiK

Colin going all in in trying to understand the emailer's "disappointing" experience with TLoU was great lol

Curufinwe

Well, on Twitter Marty said he felt the game had terrible pacing, whereas during their spoiler-free review, Colin said he felt it had some of the past pacing. It's all opinions. No one's right. No one's wrong. Although, I don't agree with the way Dan Stapleton (IGN's reviews editor) worded this tweet in regards to IGN's review (which was a very good 8.8):
hbSKTg1.png

If you recall, he's the same person that wrote a scathing counter-review of Bloodborne before IGN's reviewer of the game had posted his. The concept of his tweet is fine, but it feels almost like an insinuation that the higher scores are not being honest, which I think it not a good look. I think it's a problem that people are bashing Lucy for what is a typically incredible score, but I'm not sure Dan's tweet helps.

I'll never understand why IGN thought making a guy who had zero knowledge or experience of console games their reviews editor was a good idea. His twitter rants about Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2, which undermined the reviews his own site had published, were utterly bizarre behavior for someone in his position.

LiK

I'll never understand why IGN thought making a guy who had zero knowledge or experience of console games their reviews editor was a good idea. His twitter rants about Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2, which undermined the reviews his own site had published, were utterly bizarre behavior for someone in his position.

I tried watching a video podcast with him in it and he's acts like such a dick sometimes. I dunno what's up with this guy. he reminds me of this smarmy guy I used to intern for.

RoKKeR

Colin going all in in trying to understand the emailer's "disappointing" experience with TLoU was great lol

Yeah I was cracking up at that. Good episode this week. Really wish I could play Uncharted 4, would love to join the discussion on it.

LiK

Yeah I was cracking up at that. Good episode this week. Really wish I could play Uncharted 4, would love to join the discussion on it.

yea, I played a few hours last night. loving it so far. looking forward to their discussions after I finish it.

Memory

I thought it was a good discussion. and it is a good argument, Naughty Dog are now arguably the best developer period, in terms of innovation, storytelling and graphical fidelity with the real world. As much as O love Jak and Faster, I wouldn't want to trade what we have now, who is a company that creates breathtaking masterpieces to making quirky games.

Innovation? You mean refinement surely.

Just listened to the main topic. That question was terrible. That is the kind of critic I see around here (or on the internet in general). Just completely ripping apart a game and criticizing it at the core ("all you do is shoot enemies, go here, hit a cutscene"). Just awful.

Even if someone does find stuff like Uncharted and TLoU disappointing or what not, surely you can respect the critical acclaim they have and how much other people enjoy them. As such, I also don't see why ND would go back to J&D. They would just keep building upon where they are now. Never mind ND pumping out million seller games. I am sure Sony would rather ND produce another huge AAA game with potential to sell millions.

Just listened to the main topic. That question was terrible. That is the kind of critic I see around here (or on the internet in general). Just completely ripping apart a game and criticizing it at the core ("all you do is shoot enemies, go here, hit a cutscene"). Just awful.

Even if someone does find stuff like Uncharted and TLoU disappointing or what not, surely you can respect the critical acclaim they have and how much other people enjoy them. As such, I also don't see why ND would go back to J&D. They would just keep building upon where they are now. Never mind ND pumping out million seller games. I am sure Sony would rather ND produce another huge AAA game with potential to sell millions.

I want to see Naughty Dog tackle the buddy cop genre. That would allow for them to combine the heart and humor of Uncharted with the soul-crushingly sorrowful parts of The Last of Us. Also, I think it would be a good genre to expand the dialogue options of Uncharted 4. If not buddy cop, then Sci-Fi (maybe Savage Starlight, the comic book series from TLOU).

This is late, but on last week's episode they acted like Guns Up is never coming out. Didn't it come out at E3? Lol.

PSX maybe? Also, maybe the game was Kill Strain? They're both Sony San Diego free-to-play games that were talked about at the same time.

Edit- Yup! Guns Up released at PSX 2015.

Zukkoyaki

Colin was super sassy in the most recent episode and it made for one hell of an entertaining listen! I wish I could articulate my thoughts anywhere remotely close to as well as he can.

i don't think he was being unreasonable, he has an opinion, one that is counter to what colin and greg feel. good on them for having the discussion
nah, it was controversial and spoke to an audience that misses the platforming glory years, but he was being unreasonable. You don’t have to think TLOU/UC series are great, can think they are largely overrated, but to just dismiss why everyone loves these games to “bad taste” is just self-centered and irrational.

I think GTA is very much overrated, it’s not in my top 5 games or probably top 10, but I can appreciate why people love the series and how much effort goes into making that game special.

prwxv3

Its fine to not like TLOU for any reason but I am fed up with the "you only liked it because if the story" narratives. Am am also tired of the narratives that label it as a press x to awesome linear corridor shooter.

^Agreed as well...I play SFV, love action games, and pretty much beat most Devil May Cry games on Dante Must Die mode. I love Gameplay!! But man, UC/TLOU get too much shade for being shallow gameplay experiences. TLOU on hard/Grounded is pretty amazing, I really fell in love with the gameplay, even mores than Uncharted Hard/Crushing playthroughs.

Mezoly

^Agreed as well...I play SFV, love action games, and pretty much beat most Devil May Cry games on Dante Must Die mode. I love Gameplay!! But man, UC/TLOU get too much shade for being shallow gameplay experiences. TLOU on hard/Grounded is pretty amazing, I really fell in love with the gameplay, even mores than Uncharted Hard/Crushing playthroughs.

I agree. I love gameplay heavy games and I don't think the gameplay in ND games are any less enjoyable. It seems to me that because these game get praised for the character and story, people assume that the gameplay is bad. TLOU is praised for it's multiplayer which is pure gameplay.

I agree. I love gameplay heavy games and I don't think the gameplay in ND games are any less enjoyable. It seems to me that because these game get praised for the character and story, people assume that the gameplay is bad. TLOU is praised for it's multiplayer which is pure gameplay.
Anyone who says TLOU has bad gameplay is fooling themselves. It is intense, weighty, visceral, and can be very tactical and engaging when it needs to be. The environmental obstacle puzzle segments aren't all that great really, but as a third person shooter with stealth elements it really shines, especially on harder difficulties. It does a great job with resource management, making you scrounge everywhere in desperation and craft whatever you can on the fly, leaving you in a different situation depending on the supplies you have at hand. Just a stellar title from the gameplay side of things. I do think the story/characters are the best part of TLOU, but the game would still be great even if it had a mediocre story because the gameplay definitely stands on its own. I fully believe that anyone who says the game is mediocre or bad is just trying to rile people up, because it's just so far ahead of most games. You don't have to like the game, but you can't deny its quality.

Zukkoyaki

I'm glad others here agree that Naughty Dog's games absolutely have quality gameplay. Not sure anyone would argue that they're the pinnacle of gaming, but The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 in particular both have VERY good, genuinely enjoyable gameplay.

vypek

Ohhhh that's where that's from? I always thought it was some random book series that ND talked about somewhere or something. That explains a lot.

Maybe a UC4 spoiler?

There is a reference to Savage Starlight 2 in Uncharted 4 as well I think.

LiK

UC4 spoiler chat was fantastic. i could listen tot hem discuss it all day. i hope they do a easter egg chat later.

MuttsAndMuscles

Neo Member
In regards to Colin's comments on Sucker Punch & Naughty Dog with Spider-Man and Jak:

I agree on the point about Naughty Dog far exceeding the artistic capabilities & storytelling talents to make another Jak game, but I think Sucker Punch is just the team for a new Spider-Man game. This isn't to say that it doesn't take talent or hard work or anything to build a Jak game, but the fact is that the audience that is asking for a new Jak game seems to be asking for the game because of the recent success with Ratchet & Clank and because there is a hole in the PS4 portfolio for 3D platformer games from non-indie studios. I have a hunch that nostalgia plays a part of it, too, but I could be misreading these feelings.

The reason why I'd rather Naughty Dog move past Jak and give it (or its spiritual successor) to another studio is that the storytelling capabilities of ND are some of the best in the industry (in my opinion). I feel like story is not one of the reasons Jak is sought to be resurrected.

In terms of Sucker Punch, however... I definitely think Spider-Man would be a great project for them. It allows for a much more open platform than a lot of pre-existing IPs simply because of the VAST expanse of stories that have been told that could be added onto or expounded upon. It has many characters from which they can build their own story arc or even introduce a new dynamic to certain characters. It's an open platform with many assets to pull from, and being that Sucker Punch is pretty damn good at making some kickass superhero games, I'd LOVE for them to go into the realm of Spider-Man and give the fans a Spider-Man game that we've been craving. (My personal opinion, as I didn't like the recent Spider-Man games a whole lot.) Personal desire: gimme a gripping story with Carnage. Something disgustingly dark.

That's my two cents. Maybe 7 cents after inflation.

Yo on the newest episode of the show Colin mentions he's playing a game on Vita that he seems to be enjoying quite a bit, but he can't say what it even is. He later, in the same podcast, says it's also on PS4. Any guesses? My best guess would be Odin Sphere. Game looks sweet, and like something Colin would enjoy. And, in terms of release window and crossplay, would line up accordingly

I think it's pretty obvious he was talking about Odin Sphere.

Following up on our discussion of IGN's Uncharted 4 review, I saw that they bumped the temporary score (an 8.8) to it's final score of 9. I had predicted that would happen when the review-in-progress said they had yet to check out the online portion (as it was not available to reviewers at that point). Personally, I think their new temporary score policy won't last (Uncharted being the first major game to use it).

LiK

Catching up to all their UC4 content. Good stuff but man, I'm glad I didn't watch any of the reacts stuff before playing the game.

Mezoly

Catching up to all their UC4 content. Good stuff but man, I'm glad I didn't watch any of the reacts stuff before playing the game.

Yeah I haven't finished the game so I haven't watched their stuff yet. When I saw the non spoilers react was about 40 mins long I was thinking this will have some mechanics or other sort of stuff that I want to experience myself.

Have you listened to any of their Patreon exclusive episodes of GoG and KFGC? Some of the best (and off the wall) content they've ever done are these episodes, because they do them at the end of the day and are more casual than usual. Some really wacky topics.

ST2K

I beat Uncharted 2, 3, and 4 for the first time within a span of 8 days. I still don't think Uncharted as a series is that amazing and is entirely undeserving of the glowing terms it gets. Hell, if I never played UC4, I wouldn't even recognize it as the same developer behind TLoU. But I'm not going to say the games are trash and they should do nothing but TLoU. It's clear there's a degree of quality that's appreciable even to someone who doesn't enjoy the games to the extent everyone else does. The letter writer might have just been exaggerating for the reactions though. That's something we should probably consider.

I beat Uncharted 2, 3, and 4 for the first time within a span of 8 days. I still don't think Uncharted as a series is that amazing and is entirely undeserving of the glowing terms it gets. Hell, if I never played UC4, I wouldn't even recognize it as the same developer behind TLoU. But I'm not going to say the games are trash and they should do nothing but TLoU. It's clear there's a degree of quality that's appreciable even to someone who doesn't enjoy the games to the extent everyone else does. The letter writer might have just been exaggerating for the reactions though. That's something we should probably consider.

i honestly don't think it's fair to judge the uncharted trilogy by playing them now. that's like watching die hard right now and saying "well, it's just a cookie-cutter action movie with a wise-cracking hero." more so than most classic video games, they are very much a product of their time. you have to try and look at it within the lens of when they were released. the spectacle and action set pieces aren't going to be amazing and impressive if you play them after playing most AAA modern games that are already drawing inspiration from them (and at higher graphical fidelity)

ST2K

i honestly don't think it's fair to judge the uncharted trilogy by playing them now. that's like watching die hard right now and saying "well, it's just a cookie-cutter action movie with a wise-cracking hero." more so than most classic video games, they are very much a product of their time. you have to try and look at it within the lens of when they were released. the spectacle and action set pieces aren't going to be amazing and impressive if you play them after playing most AAA modern games that are already drawing inspiration from them (and at higher graphical fidelity)

I get your point. But it's worth mentioning the action set pieces didn't change my mind in UC4 with its bleeding-edge presentational values and that I played the first UC in its era and wasn't a giant fan at the time as well.

I think there's also something to be said about the inherent quality of the game if I play it less than a decade later and it doesn't hold up. But that's a deep rabbit hole I don't intend to go down. =P

Did Hard holds up as well today as it did when it first debuted in theaters. Not the best analogy, but I get your point.

UC games are point in time snapshots of what was impressive technically at the time, but they may not hold up as evergreen classics.

Did Hard holds up as well today as it did when it first debuted in theaters. Not the best analogy, but I get your point.

UC games are point in time snapshots of what was impressive technically at the time, but they may not hold up as evergreen classics.

i think uncharted holds up as well, especially uncharted 2. my point being with the analogy is that if you had a 20 year old who loves action movies watch die hard, they might not "get it"

I get your point. But it's worth mentioning the action set pieces didn't change my mind in UC4 with its bleeding-edge presentational values and that I played the first UC in its era and wasn't a giant fan at the time as well.

I think there's also something to be said about the inherent quality of the game if I play it less than a decade later and it doesn't hold up. But that's a deep rabbit hole I don't intend to go down. =P

fair enough, as i said, i think they DO hold up for the most part. just that, like most video games, they don't hold up enough to be appreciated as much now as they were when they were released

i'll give another game example. resident evil 4. still a classic, but it must be really REALLY rough to go back to for a new player

i think uncharted holds up as well, especially uncharted 2. my point being with the analogy is that if you had a 20 year old who loves action movies watch die hard, they might not "get it"

Well, 20 year olds don't get a lot of things. Never have, never will. They'll get it by the time they're 40 though.

Sol1dus

Colin was super sassy in the most recent episode and it made for one hell of an entertaining listen! I wish I could articulate my thoughts anywhere remotely close to as well as he can.

Colin has legitimately shaped the way I lead arguments during conversations. :p

Suzzopher

Colin would love Valkyria Chronicles, there are special missions you unlock by talking and paying the journalist, you can upgrade weapons, armour and your tank. You don't upgrade and level up individual characters but the class itself.

RoKKeR

Greg's pronunciation of "sumimasen" ('excuse me' in Japanese) was cracking me up, and I love that Colin just rolled around Japan saying "hai" to everybody the first time he was there.

Edit: And yes the Colin sass this episode is highly entertaining. "I'm no Adam Smith, but I'm also no Bernie Sanders." lmao

Great episode as per usual. Me and you Greg shall forever be waiting for the glorious return of the almighty Patapons. Sony doesn't want them out in the wild anymore. I should actually replay the PSP ones on my Vita, those games were so much fun.

Top Bottom