• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

sh1fty

Following up on our discussion of IGN's Uncharted 4 review, I saw that they bumped the temporary score (an 8.8) to it's final score of 9. I had predicted that would happen when the review-in-progress said they had yet to check out the online portion (as it was not available to reviewers at that point). Personally, I think their new temporary score policy won't last (Uncharted being the first major game to use it).

But think of how much buzz / traffic that 8.8 generated. I could understand from a business perspective why (if you were a major online outlet) you'd keep the 100 point scale and providing temporary scores. People love scores.

ST2K

Am I the only one who thinks it's crazy to assume Dead Don't Ride will come out this year? Colin keeps beating that drum, but I don't know if I missed something or he's just assuming they'll do it.

Zukkoyaki

Am I the only one who thinks it's crazy to assume Dead Don't Ride will come out this year? Colin keeps beating that drum, but I don't know if I missed something or he's just assuming they'll do it.
I don't think it's crazy but I wouldn't count on it. Colin just likes to speculate!

I personally don't think it's coming this year with Gran Turismo, PSVR, TLG and maybe Horizon all slated for the second half of the year.

Yeah, it isn't coming this year. Nothing wrong with believing though!

ST2K

I don't think it's crazy but I wouldn't count on it. Colin just likes to speculate!

I personally don't think it's coming this year with Gran Turismo, PSVR, TLG and maybe Horizon all slated for the second half of the year.

That's my thinking as well.

They can't afford to delay TLG or PSVR. Gran Turismo has the highest sales potential so that'll definitely make it. And if you had to have either Horizon or DDR in the holiday, Horizon seems to clearly be the smart choice. Then you can hold off on the DDR reveal until Gamescom and announce a Spring 2017 release.

You're not the only one. There's not a chance in hell it comes out this year. Why would it? They have The Last Guardian, Horizon, and Gran Turismo on deck. I do think Horizon will be delayed, but The Last Guardian and Gran Turismo are plenty to compliment the third party releases. Horizon will be the annual big Sony Spring release.

They also haven't even announced Dead Don't Ride yet. First parties don't do the announce and then quick release strategy. That only happens (occassionally) with third parties. Furthermore, it would be a terrible business move to announce a brand new IP and then release it 5 months later during a crowded holiday season. That might work for Fallout 4, but not a new Sony IP.

You're not the only one. There's not a chance in hell it comes out this year. Why would it? They have The Last Guardian, Horizon, and Gran Turismo on deck. They also haven't even announced Dead Don't Ride yet. First parties don't do the announce and then quick release strategy. That only happens (occassionally) with third parties.
I think Gran Turismo 6 was the most recent example of a major AAA first party title being announced and released in the same year. That only happened because of the brand power of Gran Turismo. So, yeah, it is rare for it to happen.

You're not the only one. There's not a chance in hell it comes out this year. Why would it? They have The Last Guardian, Horizon, and Gran Turismo on deck. They also haven't even announced Dead Don't Ride yet. First parties don't do the announce and then quick release strategy. That only happens (occassionally) with third parties.

I seriously doubt that Bend's game is announced and releases this year. I hope I'm incorrect but I doubt it. For sure TLG releases this year (it has to, there's no way that w.e. is left of Team Ico doesn't deliver)

Horizon hasn't got an official release date but I believe those rumors about it being delayed internally to 2017.

Sony doesn't need 3-4 1st party exclusives this year. My guess is that TLG, Gran Turismo Sport will be PS4's 1st party offerings for the holidays. Hopefully Horizon. No way SSM and Bend's game are releasing this year.

You're not the only one. There's not a chance in hell it comes out this year. Why would it? They have The Last Guardian, Horizon, and Gran Turismo on deck. I do think Horizon will be delayed, but The Last Guardian and Gran Turismo are plenty to compliment the third party releases. Horizon will be the annual big Sony Spring release.

They also haven't even announced Dead Don't Ride yet. First parties don't do the announce and then quick release strategy. That only happens (occassionally) with third parties. Furthermore, it would be a terrible business move to announce a brand new IP and then release it 5 months later during a crowded holiday season. That might work for Fallout 4, but not a new Sony IP.
90% chance Horizon is a 2017 game. They showed that game twice last year. Once at E3, another time several months later at PGW I believe.. at the same place doing the same shit. Nothing new since. I would be shocked if the game makes it as a Q4 game, and I doubt they want it to come on November even if it was ready.

I think Gran Turismo 6 was the most recent example of a major AAA first party title being announced and released in the same year. That only happened because of the brand power of Gran Turismo. So, yeah, it is rare for it to happen.

Gran Turismo Sport was announced a while ago, though. We're not talking mere months. I'm pretty sure it'll be about a year from announce to release? Plus, like you said, everyone knows what Gran Turismo is. It's a racing game with massive brand recognition. 5 months from announce to release for a brand new Sony IP during the busiest time of year would be suicide for that game.

Gran Turismo Sport was announced a while ago, though. We're not talking mere months. I'm pretty sure it'll be about a year from announce to release? Plus, like you said, everyone knows what Gran Turismo is. It's a racing game with massive brand recognition. 5 months from announce to release for a brand new Sony IP during the busiest time of year would be suicide for that game.
No, I said GT6, not Sport.

I agree with what you're saying though. I was just pointing out an exception.

90% chance Horizon is a 2017 game. They showed that game twice last year. Once at E3, another time several months later at PGW I believe.. at the same place doing the same shit. Nothing new since. I would be shocked if the game makes it as a Q4 game, and I doubt they want it to come on November even if it was ready.

I agree 100%. Like I said, Horizon will be their annual big game for the first half of the year. Q1 or Q2 2017.

AmuroChan

Horizon is almost certainly slipping to Q1 2017. There's really no need for Sony to release more than a couple 1st party titles in the Fall and be swallowed up by the big 3rd party games. A new IP is better suited in the first half of the year IMO. The Fall is already looking ridiculous with COD, Battlefield, Destiny expansion, Titanfall 2, FFXV, Dishonored 2, Mafia 3, etc.

ghibli99

I like Colin... he's passionate as all get out, but he sometimes goes down these ultra-negative nitpicky paths that get super-annoying. Greg usually brings him back to reality, but it's not a great quality to have IMO. Like a couple weeks ago, he was complaining about there being a hook swinging animation in UC4 when there's not an attach point. Really? C'mon, man.

ST2K

I like Colin... he's passionate as all get out, but he sometimes goes down these ultra-negative nitpicky paths that get super-annoying. Greg usually brings him back to reality, but it's not a great quality to have IMO. Like a couple weeks ago, he was complaining about there being a hook swinging animation in UC4 when there's not an attach point. Really? C'mon, man.

That's why Greg's a good counter balance. He always defends the developers and publishers, so it works out.

notaxation

Neo Member

I never once complained about there being a hook swinging animation in Uncharted 4 when there's not an attach point. Just throwing that out there.

RoKKeR

Great episode this week, the banter was cracking me up.

"Thank you Colin" and "you're over here getting your little jack off platinums" were highlights.

I never once complained about there being a hook swinging animation in Uncharted 4 when there's not an attach point. Just throwing that out there.

Yeah, I think what you said was something along the lines of how it felt strange (story wise) to make it such a big aspect of the game when it did not exist in the previous games. I also recall you saying they did a reasonable job (story wise) of justifying the addition.

I really disagree with Colin on the openness of the Uncharted series at this point. Just because they didn't murder every single one of the characters doesn't mean the series is still open to be continued. Unhcharted as we know it is clearly over. There's really nothing obvious about it.

Any also, there is zero chance Sony came to Naughty Dog and said they have to end their game a certain way, or even in a general direction. Especially considering they can just do prequels and reboots if they really wanted to milk the cow.

vypek

I really disagree with Colin on the openness of the Uncharted series at this point. Just because they didn't murder every single one of the characters doesn't mean the series is still open to be continued. Unhcharted as we know it is clearly over. There's really nothing obvious about it.

Any also, there is zero chance Sony came to Naughty Dog and said they have to end their game a certain way, or even in a general direction. Especially considering they can just do prequels and reboots if they really wanted to milk the cow.

Uncharted is very much open based on the end. In the sense that you could easily go on with the franchise. You can easily spin off of any living character and continue on the franchise.
There is nothing that conclusively says that the series is done.
It would really have to be how you define Uncharted as we know it. From a story telling perspective, Uncharted is open. Not that much has been locked down for it to be closed.

I don't know if it happened at all but a company asking a studio to end a game a certain way isn't implausible. I don't think Sony asked them to but I wouldn't think the chance is zero. Like Showtime did with Dexter and having them end it a certain way. It would be just as easy for them to milk the cow with sequels as it would be a prequel. Reboot is probably slightly harder than those two options.

Colin getting pissed off at poorly written game discriptions is the best.
Hahaha yeah I was cracking up so bad! "Do I really have to read that other one again?" ...and he reads it again. Lol

It was the best. And I love how Greg pretends like they all make sense. Lol

It's why I always listen to these two. Ever since the beyond days. Great chemistry.

BTW Collin,
Did u guys ever say what secret vita game you were playing a few episodes back? I remember u saying it was awesome but couldn't say what it was yet.

Have u talked about it and I just missed it? Or will you all reveal it at a later date??

PS: I've been on vita island since day one.

Endo Punk

Colin is either incredibly clueless or doesn't like to bring facts that undermine his ramblings. He has been quite cringeworthy with the past few episodes. The hyperbole regarding SP working on Spiderman being the worst thing ever was too much.

notaxation

Neo Member
:( There goes my salt and sanctuary theory

I wish. I liked what I played on PS4, but I'll never get back to it there. Anxious for the Vita version.

Was hoping for Doom talk. But they haven't even finished it.

I'll finish it, for sure. We're just really busy, and as I said on PSILY, I'm just not in a gaming mood the last couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll come back around after KFL2 and E3. As always, I ebb and flow. Downwell is all I've been playing since early last weekend.

Colin is either incredibly clueless or doesn't like to bring facts that undermine his ramblings. He has been quite cringeworthy with the past few episodes. The hyperbole regarding SP working on Spiderman being the worst thing ever was too much.

You probably shouldn't listen to podcasts with clueless hosts. I'm sure there are other PlayStation shows out there for you.

They're doing an unboxing of the PS4 version today.

It's up!

PixelFlower

Neo Member
Good Episode.

Always have maximum respect for Colin keeping the Resistance flame alive, be happy to collaborate on a R4 story treatment.........

We could also put together a plan to save Raven from Activision (I know Colin would love some more Singularity !!)

LiK

I'll finish it, for sure. We're just really busy, and as I said on PSILY, I'm just not in a gaming mood the last couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll come back around after KFL2 and E3. As always, I ebb and flow. Downwell is all I've been playing since early last weekend.

Excellent, need full impressions!

Been digging the last few episodes. The only way I wish they would improve is I believe on one of the latter Beyond episodes (or maybe early Gamecasts) Greg and Colin said they would try not to dismiss games as being terrible when they don't like them or didn't play all of the game, and instead try to take more a measured response.

Unfortunately the two of them are very synced up at this point, so I feel like when we have a disagreement in opinions on a game there is no one there to represent my side, you know? I wish I could call in and defend some of these things that I like or differ from Colin's opinion on:

• DriveClub
  • Jak from ND (kinda)
  • "The Digital Future"
  • Final Fantasy XIII trilogy
  • The Wii U
  • The Order 1886
  • The hypothetical impact of NEO

And some other games I have forgotten about. I need to start writing in.

By the way Colin, I was shocked when you said you might play FFXV and Persona 5. I think if there are two games the majority of us would want you to play and hear your take on in the remainder of 2016, it would be those games!

Top Bottom