• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Been digging the last few episodes. The only way I wish they would improve is I believe on one of the latter Beyond episodes (or maybe early Gamecasts) Greg and Colin said they would try not to dismiss games as being terrible when they don't like them or didn't play all of the game, and instead try to take more a measured response.

Unfortunately the two of them are very synced up at this point, so I feel like when we have a disagreement in opinions on a game there is no one there to represent my side, you know? I wish I could call in and defend some of these things that I like or differ from Colin's opinion on:

• DriveClub
  • Jak from ND (kinda)
  • "The Digital Future"
    [*]Final Fantasy XIII trilogy
    [*]The Wii U
    [*]The Order 1886
  • The hypothetical impact of NEO

And some other games I have forgotten about. I need to start writing in.

By the way Colin, I was shocked when you said you might play FFXV and Persona 5. I think if there are two games the majority of us would want you to play and hear your take on in the remainder of 2016, it would be those games!
I’m with you but not with you not these.

Been digging the last few episodes. The only way I wish they would improve is I believe on one of the latter Beyond episodes (or maybe early Gamecasts) Greg and Colin said they would try not to dismiss games as being terrible when they don't like them or didn't play all of the game, and instead try to take more a measured response.

Unfortunately the two of them are very synced up at this point, so I feel like when we have a disagreement in opinions on a game there is no one there to represent my side, you know? I wish I could call in and defend some of these things that I like or differ from Colin's opinion on:

• DriveClub
  • Jak from ND (kinda)
  • "The Digital Future"
    [*]Final Fantasy XIII trilogy
    [*]The Wii U
    [*]The Order 1886
  • The hypothetical impact of NEO

And some other games I have forgotten about. I need to start writing in.

By the way Colin, I was shocked when you said you might play FFXV and Persona 5. I think if there are two games the majority of us would want you to play and hear your take on in the remainder of 2016, it would be those games!

He would roast you completely. The 3 bolded are thrash and the consumers acted accordingly.

why would you defend these things

I’m with you but not with you not these.

The key to the two games listed there are expectations. They were my first Final Fantasy games (PS3 was my first Playstation after growing up Nintendo and then owning a 360) and thus I had no prior notions of "what a Final Fantasy Game is" XIII isn't perfect but it's not the trash everyone calls it. But what I would really talk about is XIII-2 which is an amazing game but wasn't played by many in the press apparently.

Similarly I'm close to finishing the order and I bought it knowing the games reputation for like 6 dollars on sale a couple weeks ago. Expecting it to be a mess, I was surprised by how much I loved the world, characters, feeling of gunplay, presentation, music and sound design, and thought the story was good enough. I hear the ending is rough but for now I appreciate it for what it is. And the funny thing is I thought the game is at least somewhat in Greg's wheelhouse for being a short narrative heavy game, but I guess he's not into those types of settings.

I guess I'm just saying there are more nuance to these discussions than claiming they are trash and no one likes them. You've got a crazy enough person here who likes both.

Edit: and yall know the Wii U has some great games lol.

He would roast you completely. The 3 bolded are thrash and the consumers acted accordingly.

Colin would rip him apart on those, but I think his opposition to the Wii U is unfortunate. The Wii U is "fine" hardware with a questionable controller, but fantastic games. Grouping the console that has DKC Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario Maker and many other great games together with FFXIII and The Order is ridiculous. The other bolded games truly are "trash" games in that there's nearly nothing redeeming about them (according to most people anyway), but the Wii U has a ton of excellent redeeming games that consumers are just ignoring. I think there's a difference between being critically slammed and being ignored.

The only time I think Colin comes off as too aggressively opposed to something is with Nintendo. He was right to jump ship during the Wii (I did too and was just as hardcore of a Nintendo fan), but the Wii U has some of the best games Nintendo has made in the past ten years. It sucks they're stuck behind a failing system with a dumb controller, but these games are fantastic. I wish Colin would give them more of a chance.

Similarly I'm close to finishing the order and I bought it knowing the games reputation for like 6 dollars on sale a couple weeks ago. Expecting it to be a mess, I was surprised by how much I loved the world, characters, feeling of gunplay, presentation, music and sound design, and thought the story was good enough. I hear the ending is rough but for now I appreciate it for what it is. And the funny thing is I thought the game is at least somewhat in Greg's wheelhouse for being a short narrative heavy game, but I guess he's not into those types of settings.

I think the biggest issue with The Order -- as you'll find out when you finish it -- is that it just doesn't go anywhere. I actually liked the characters and lore as well, but the whole thing feels like a prologue for a much better, more fulfilling game.

I think the biggest issue with The Order -- as you'll find out when you finish it -- is that it just doesn't go anywhere. I actually liked the characters and lore as well, but the whole thing feels like a prologue for a much better, more fulfilling game.

That and I think the story could have used some more establishment of the setting and stakes before things hit the fan, giving it the additional couple of hours it needed. I meant to say this before but it's biggest problem was it wasn't worth the $60 price tag.

See this is my problem. It's not about entering some kind of battle where I roast Colin or vice versa. It's me showing him that myself and plenty of others find something to like in these games, and if nothing else maybe saying it's not for me is better than labeling it objective trash.

E3 is 2 weeks away. I need some Kinda Funny E3 bets/hopes/predictions to get me hyped!

I really hope the Horizon delay rumors aren't true. 1. Absolutely sick of delays. Everything is delayed, and it's starting to feel like all initial release dates are just a hoax. 2. I really want to play it

See this is my problem. It's not about entering some kind of battle where I roast Colin or vice versa. It's me showing him that myself and plenty of others find something to like in these games, and if nothing else maybe saying it's not for me is better than labeling it objective trash.
I completely agree.

I think The Order had potential. It was just heavily bogged down by unnecessary stuff.

E3 is 2 weeks away. I need some Kinda Funny E3 bets/hopes/predictions to get me hyped!

I really hope the Horizon delay rumors aren't true. 1. Absolutely sick of delays. Everything is delayed, and it's starting to feel like all initial release dates are just a hoax. 2. I really want to play it
Yep, time to get hype! June is here!

DKHF

Same here, Colin and Greg do the best E3 predictions podcasts. Mainly because they actually take it kind of seriously unlike most shows. I think the next Gamescast (ep 73) will be E3 predictions but I'm not sure if they will change it and do them just for PlayStation on PS I Love You this year instead. Though I doubt they will do that since Tim will probably want to talk about E3 next Gamescast as that show will go up for everyone the week before E3.

Wagram

Finishing up Until Dawn today. Found another title Colin and I disagree on significantly (seems to happen a lot with games). While I like it, they have a long way before they "Out Quantic Dream, Quantic Dream." Beyond and Heavy Rain are much better.

ST2K

The key to the two games listed there are expectations. They were my first Final Fantasy games (PS3 was my first Playstation after growing up Nintendo and then owning a 360) and thus I had no prior notions of "what a Final Fantasy Game is" XIII isn't perfect but it's not the trash everyone calls it. But what I would really talk about is XIII-2 which is an amazing game but wasn't played by many in the press apparently.

I guess I'm just saying there are more nuance to these discussions than claiming they are trash and no one likes them. You've got a crazy enough person here who likes both.

Edit: and yall know the Wii U has some great games lol.

Well yes, I suppose if you're expecting irredeemable trash and find anything good at all, it's going to be better than your expectations. But that's not the context the games were introduced in. Setting aside the context of Final Fantasy as a series, XIII was supposed to be Square's big next-gen title. The Order was Ready at Dawn's coming out party with the full backing of Sony. Instead, we got bad games. Bad game + High expectations = People hate on these games a lot.

And the Wii U may have some good games, but it doesn't redeem the system from being garbage.

Well yes, I suppose if you're expecting irredeemable trash and find anything good at all, it's going to be better than your expectations. But that's not the context the games were introduced in. Setting aside the context of Final Fantasy as a series, XIII was supposed to be Square's big next-gen title. The Order was Ready at Dawn's coming out party with the full backing of Sony. Instead, we got bad games. Bad game + High expectations = People hate on these games a lot.

And the Wii U may have some good games, but it doesn't redeem the system from being garbage.

I mean for FFXIII I wasn't expecting trash, I played it shortly after release before years of conditioning on the Internet telling my I'm wrong for liking the game with the mindset "let's try out a Final Fantasy game." I suspect the majority of the criticism for XIII is its too linear and it's not turn based so it's not "true Final Fantasy" (by the way, how people hate XIII's linearity but praise X is beyond me).

And you're going to have to elaborate how the Wii U is garbage - I hope we eventually get away from calling things we don't like as garbage - if you concede the games are good. Because to me like 80% of what makes a console are it's games.

I hope they're both a little more realistic than they have been in the past.

They exist in an echo chamber where they say something outlandish enough times to each other, they begin to believe it.

Sony Bend's game has been getting revealed at every conference for the last two years according to Colin (I think he could be right this year though).

I know Greg doesn't know tech but when he predicted everything that was going to be shown at a recent conference would be revealed to be playable through PSVR, it was just nonsense.

Love the guys - just hope they show a little restraint. lol

They rarely get anything right either.

I hope they're both a little more realistic than they have been in the past.

They exist in an echo chamber where they say something outlandish enough times to each other, they begin to believe it.

Sony Bend's game has been getting revealed at every conference for the last two years according to Colin (I think he could be right this year though).

I know Greg doesn't know tech but when he predicted everything that was going to be shown at a recent conference would be revealed to be playable through PSVR, it was just nonsense.

Love the guys - just hope they show a little restraint. lol

They rarely get anything right either.
They are having fun with it, and their predictions are based on consumer expectations or desires, not necessarily on what Sony itself is planning, or other companies. Greg's comments about games coming to VR refer to Sony making a big push for VR and making it a must have item, something that people probably really want but Sony won't or can't do. Same with Colin on Bend's game, he wants it to be shown because he wants more big exclusives to be excited about, and they haven't come out with a game in years. Of course Sony has other plans, but from the consumer/fan point of view it's obvious why that would be so high on the list. That and they can't really divulge the things they do know to the public on a podcast, also those wouldn't be predictions because they actually know them to be true.

That and I think the story could have used some more establishment of the setting and stakes before things hit the fan, giving it the additional couple of hours it needed. I meant to say this before but it's biggest problem was it wasn't worth the $60 price tag.

But he knows this obviously but critically (Not the games on Wii U) and commercially they were failures.

Also why does it matter that he doesn't like something you like? He is allowed opinions so don't get bummed out when he doesn't like the games you like.

But the 3 bolded are officially trash.

ST2K

And you're going to have to elaborate how the Wii U is garbage - I hope we eventually get away from calling things we don't like as garbage - if you concede the games are good. Because to me like 80% of what makes a console are it's games.

What metric would you use? It commercially failed. The hardware itself was outdated at launch. The online infrastructure is sub-par. Nintendo never justified their console's core concept in a meaningful way. The first-party lineup is the most underwhelming in Nintendo's history. The third-party lineup is the worst in Nintendo's history without question.

I understand that people can really dig certain games, like Splatoon, Mario Kart, or Super Mario Maker, but at a certain point if that justifies a console for you, you might as well say Nintendo's consoles will always be justifiable regardless. And sure, for you that may be true and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy your games! But the market speaks to the reality that there are fewer of those people than ever before. It's a bad Nintendo console, and you or others might be satisfied with the Nintendo console part of it, but most are not.

Anyway, that's why I call the Wii U garbage. It's Nintendo at it's worst, and I know they can do better. And if they don't, I worry that the industry will lose them. I hope we can all agree we don't want that.

But he knows this obviously but critically (Not the games on Wii U) and commercially they were failures.

Also why does it matter that he doesn't like something you like? He is allowed opinions so don't get bummed out when he doesn't like the games you like.

But the 3 bolded are officially trash.

It doesn't matter. The original post I made was just saying it's too bad there isn't a third person with them who could provide a different opinion because their experience with games are pretty aligned at the moment.

Let's get away from my three because I know they are crazy, even if i hate the fact you are still labeling them as "officially trash." there have been games that come out recently that have had positive receptions that Greg and Colin either don't like or haven't played and that's too bad considering how plenty of people, myself included, use their show as a place to find games.

But more than anything I was just describing my experience listening in the car and wanting to yell at them my opinion but being unable to :p

Edit: what actually gets me the most is Colin's stubbornness towards those of us who like physical games. Not all of us live in SF buddy!

Omerta

Personally, people with differing opinions don't bother me. I enjoy hearing intelligent, articulate people explain an opinion that doesn't align with my own.

I don't consume culture to reaffirm what I think.

heycolin.png

OMGGGGGGGGG

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jack Tretton hosted the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KFL2?src=hash">#KFL2</a> press conference, but tomorrow, he addresses our Jackie T. impression. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSILoveYouXOXO?src=hash">#PSILoveYouXOXO</a> <a href="https://t.co/d2rZxPYg3Y">pic.twitter.com/d2rZxPYg3Y</a></p>&mdash; Greg Miller (@GameOverGreggy) <a href="https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/737462106585366528">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OMGGGGGGGGG

dang wow that's cray thank u for this post

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jack Tretton hosted the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KFL2?src=hash">#KFL2</a> press conference, but tomorrow, he addresses our Jackie T. impression. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PSILoveYouXOXO?src=hash">#PSILoveYouXOXO</a> <a href="https://t.co/d2rZxPYg3Y">pic.twitter.com/d2rZxPYg3Y</a></p>&mdash; Greg Miller (@GameOverGreggy) <a href="https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/737462106585366528">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OMGGGGGGGGG

You don't say.

Dominator

Holy shit did they really get Jack Tretton in their apartment to film some stuff lol. Amazing.

EDIT: Unless that's green screen which is more likely.

Jackie T appearance is awesome.

Personally, people with differing opinions don't bother me. I enjoy hearing intelligent, articulate people explain an opinion that doesn't align with my own.

I don't consume culture to reaffirm what I think.

Again, I'm not saying it makes me angry or anything. But I think I have written enough in here to where at least a few people get it.

I can't wait for Colin's reaction the day ND announces their next game and it's not The Last Of Us 2.

i'm conflicted on this. especially after hearing colin talking about a potential last of us 2 expanding on the exploration, crafting, upgrading mechanics it introduced in the first game. i don't agree that the story has to be about joel and/or ellie. in fact, i think it would be best to introduce new protagonists.

eitherway i'd love to also see them do a new ip

EDIT: i wasn't very clear in this post at all. i'm conflicted because i feel liked i'd rather see a new ip, but colin discussing the ways in which they could expand upon the first game made me excited to see what they could do with a sequel

My god, Legend of Legaia getting its turn in the Forgotten Gem spotlight is fantastic. Unfortunately they didn't read my PS Classic post from the forums (suggesting Legend of Legaia), but maybe a follow-up will cross their eyes; Legaia was the one that converted me into being a gamer.

Colin tearing into the game descriptions on the PS Blog is my new favorite part of the show. So good.

So so good

Top Bottom