• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Liamc723

I am laughing at this release date stuff. E3 has always been about big announcements with vague release dates. It has been about what a company can announce to blow socks off and keep people interested in the platform by announcing things despite how far they are. Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc... have all been doing this for years and they have been doing it this generation. All of a sudden release dates are just so important now that it nullifies the impact of what Sony announced. Yeah.

You're right, it just feels like an excuse people come up with to try and down play the big 3 announcements from last year.

Sony's conference absolutely was one of the best E3 shows of all time.

It wasn't.

Shenmue, Remake, TLG... all these games that everyone thought were the greatest announcements? It's been a year. No idea when they're coming out still. Just a vague idea of TLG.

How is that a good conference? "Hey, someday, who knows when, you maybe will get to play these!"

Bad.

I think a separation of the how the show is as a show, and the content of that show is possible. I don't have a PS4 or intend to ever get one, yet in my opinion Sony's E3 2015 conference was the best press conference or media briefing I've ever seen. I don't have any hype for the Shenmue 3 (even though I was day one on Shenmue DC), TLG, or FFVIIR, but I can respect the magnitude of their revivals and announcements in the same show. That on top of a strong stream of new games and announcements. When you take the macro view, a lot of the games shown were more than a year out, and perhaps a review of the show today is more disappointing since there are still so many games yet to be released, but at the time it was amazing.

You're right, it just feels like an excuse people come up with to try and down play the big 3 announcements from last year.

Agreed. Yeah sure, I understand alot of people probably don't care for either of those 3 games, but it definitely was one of the best conferences of all time.

Wagram

It wasn't.

Shenmue, Remake, TLG... all these games that everyone thought were the greatest announcements? It's been a year. No idea when they're coming out still. Just a vague idea of TLG.

How is that a good conference? "Hey, someday, who knows when, you maybe will get to play these!"

Bad.

You're going to dislike E3 this year.

I just hope that this Sony Bend game delivers for Colin. He's been banging on about it for so many years now, I hope it lives up to his expectations, because I have a pretty strong hunch it's not going to blow people away.

That is what it comes off to me as well. Some people are upset that those three games got/are getting overwhelming amounts of attention and praise. They also probably don't like how they are being used to proclaim Sony "won" E3.

I wouldn't have a problem with the reasoning if E3 was usually about "Hey guys, we have this huge new AAA game.....that is releasing this year on this particular date!" but it is far from. E3 has never been that and almost every major company in the industry does the opposite of that example.

So, is your problem with the industry itself or are you just mad because of how much people liked something?

MuttsAndMuscles

Neo Member
He's incredibly stubborn, stuck up and arrogant.

When they were talking about him going to Alexa from Gamespot's dinner for E3 and he just blew it off and said he was selective with who he spent his time with. He sounds like a terrible friend.

I took this to mean that he only has a limited amount of time to allocate to people, and he has to be selective with it to balance himself. I'm going to school and working full time, and I just cannot find time to spend with as many people as I'd like and remain happy/sane. It's not necessarily a bad thing in the same way that you probably wouldn't go to dinner with your bank teller. You aren't mean to them, you're nice when you see them, and you may even ENJOY talking to them, but they aren't a priority over other folks in your life.

meanspartan

Here here!

Announcing games that are just storyboards is called spitballing, and I'm really tired of conferences "announcing" games that are 2-3 years off. It's the most non-committal way to reveal a game ever.

edit: also, you guys are right, I don't like Colin because he doesn't like the same things I do too. It makes me not stand him.

edit edit: I love Colin.

Ya. I want E3 to go back at least a little bit to being a trade show for "Products releasing this fall!" or at least in the next year before the next E3.

Now every fucking game in early pre-production (or even before!) gets an E3 announcement. We know every single damn game coming in 2018 but little about the next full year haha.

Vinc

I don't get how Colin and Greg don't seem to think TLG was shelved for long periods of time.

The fact that it wasn't gonna work out on PS3 makes a lot of sense to me. Here's how it obviously went:

> Game is being made, they're confident the game will be able to run well on PS3 and keep pushing back optimization

> It eventually becomes clear that doing so will require a lot of reworking, maybe an engine change, that's determined to be way too costly (as tools and a team of programmers performing such a task is the most costly aspect of any game's development)

> Game is shelved for an undetermined amount of time because it doesn't make sense for this project to rebuild the engine, considering it's not projected to sell 5+ million copies, but Sony knows people want it and that Ueda and team Ico make beloved games.

> Sony recognizes the game as an asset and does not cancel it. Team moves on to other projects within Japan studios.

> PS4 dev kits come in 2012, Sony gets a small team of programmers to port the game and its engine to PS4

> Game runs well enough, Sony rolls people off other projects as they finish them and officially starts up development again.

> 2016: Game releases and isn't over budget.

It's project management. Shit happens. If Sony is smart, that's what they did. The game's development couldn't have been the dumpster fire some people seem to think it was, otherwise the game would have been cancelled. Sony has cancelled games before, and they're a smart publisher.

Holy crap!!! Tks Greg and Colin for reading my question!! I never think I'll get one that's interesting enough lol...

I agree SoTC is a bit harder to play but Ico has stood up amazingly well IMO. Visually it still looks really good even without the HD remaster.

Lol I knew mentioning SotN would rustle Colin a bit...

And I don't get the line of thinking where an announcement is better than actually having games to play. So we are at an impasse.

?? It being announced means we will get to play it...thus excitement, not rocket science. People can't get excited unless a game is out the day later? This argument makes no sense, agree to disagree.

When they were talking about him going to Alexa from Gamespot's dinner for E3 and he just blew it off and said he was selective with who he spent his time with. He sounds like a terrible friend.

I hate how he says Witcher is overrated over and over, , there is too much to do? Makes no sense...most of it is totally optional to the player. Then he says Gunplay in UC4 is not great but the game is because of story, but the same doesn;t apply to the witcher why? The writing, worlduilding and Role playing in the witcher is fantastic. He is always saying the gameplay isn't good in the witcher which even that is debatable imo. He contradicts himself all the time. Drives me crazy.

?? It being announced means we will get to play it...thus excitement, not rocket science.

Well, not always. Look at Bioshock Vita or (until something is announced) Agent. Or how about The Agency, a spy vs. spy MMO which was showed off at E3 a while ago from SOE (now Daybreak). That game looked fun. Sad it was canceled.

El-Suave

How boring would E3 be if it was just about the holiday releases? I don't care when the games come out (as long as they do) or even if a person likes them, but when FF VII remake and Shenmue 3 were mentioned almost next to each other and you have a "meh" reaction for whatever reason, you need to reevaluate if you like this job or not. Those (and Last Guardian, too) aren't just games, they're myths - the equivalents of real live unicorns being presented at the show. Those are "wow" moments, for some people of joy, for some people of disbelief, for some people of scepticism. But a person is not special because he/she is too cool for school to appreciate them as those moments.

?? It being announced means we will get to play it...thus excitement, not rocket science. People can't get excited unless a game is out the day later? This argument makes no sense, agree to disagree.

"a day later"

It's been a year, and we know as much now as we did a year ago.

It was nothing but empty marketing. Enjoy it, love it, embrace it, but call it what it is.

but when FF VII remake and Shenmue 3 were mentioned almost next to each other and you have a "meh" reaction for whatever reason, you need to reevaluate if you like this job or not. Those (and Last Guardian, too) aren't just games, they're myths - the equivalents of real live unicorns being presented at the show

Oh ffs. They're commercial goods being produced for sale. They're just games.

But a person is not special because he/she is too cool for school to appreciate them as those moments.

What are you even talking about.

GRIP

I hate how he says Witcher is overrated over and over, , there is too much to do? Makes no sense...most of it is totally optional to the player. Then he says Gunplay in UC4 is not great but the game is because of story, but the same doesn;t apply to the witcher why? The writing, worlduilding and Role playing in the witcher is fantastic. He is always saying the gameplay isn't good in the witcher which even that is debatable imo. He contradicts himself all the time. Drives me crazy.

His issue with Witcher 3 is that it's so big that it can be overwhelming and easy to get sidetracked to the point where he doesn't feel like he's making progress. What's hard to understand about that?

Also, why would you compare the story telling of Witcher and Uncharted? They are completely different genres and tell their stories in a completely different way. It's not weird at all that someone might like one and not the other.

His issue with Witcher 3 is that it's so big that it can be overwhelming and easy to get sidetracked to the point where he doesn't feel like he's making progress. What's hard to understand about that?

Also, why would you compare the story telling of Witcher and Uncharted? They are completely different genres and tell their stories in a completely different way. It's not weird at all that someone might like one and not the other.

That is on the player.......the content is there but it's optional, like fallout or many other open world games, but he is OK with it in fallout?. You can just do all main story if you wish, or just the meaty side quests. The side content in the witcher is probably better then any other game anyway as it is. But it's more about how he contradicts his own arguments depending on what game it is.

I am not talking him liking one story over the other, but how his reasoning for 1 game being great doesn't carry over to another, Colon even said the writing is great in the witcher. HE contradicts his own arguments.

Liamc723

"a day later"

Huh, weird.

I could have sworn we got a Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer at PSX last year, and we got more details and gameplay for The Last Guardian last month.

Or did none of that happen?

I don't get how Colin and Greg don't seem to think TLG was shelved for long periods of time.

The fact that it wasn't gonna work out on PS3 makes a lot of sense to me. Here's how it obviously went:

> Game is being made, they're confident the game will be able to run well on PS3 and keep pushing back optimization

> It eventually becomes clear that doing so will require a lot of reworking, maybe an engine change, that's determined to be way too costly (as tools and a team of programmers performing such a task is the most costly aspect of any game's development)

> Game is shelved for an undetermined amount of time because it doesn't make sense for this project to rebuild the engine, considering it's not projected to sell 5+ million copies, but Sony knows people want it and that Ueda and team Ico make beloved games.

> Sony recognizes the game as an asset and does not cancel it. Team moves on to other projects within Japan studios.

> PS4 dev kits come in 2012, Sony gets a small team of programmers to port the game and its engine to PS4

> Game runs well enough, Sony rolls people off other projects as they finish them and officially starts up development again.

> 2016: Game releases and isn't over budget.

It's project management. Shit happens. If Sony is smart, that's what they did. The game's development couldn't have been the dumpster fire some people seem to think it was, otherwise the game would have been cancelled. Sony has cancelled games before, and they're a smart publisher.
Well said...I think Stigs game is probably a bigger loss than TLG. Hopefully we find out one day

"a day later"

It was nothing but empty marketing. Enjoy it, love it, embrace it, but call it what it is.

Oh ffs. They're commercial goods being produced for sale. They're just games.

What are you even talking about.
Simply not true, we saw more of TLG and its coming this year, and more of FF7 at PSx, and shenmue released more info as well.

Huh, weird.

I could have sworn we got a Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer at PSX last year, and we got more details and gameplay for The Last Guardian last month.

Or did none of that happen?
Yea I don't agree at all with Cosmic here. Movie industry does it as well. We basically know about Marvel movies in 2018 and 2019 already. I don't see the problem, E3 is about hyping your brand.

Colin has psychic powers but they only work sometimes.

He got that Horizon point straight up. Even though it didn't happen at E3, he deserves it aha.

Also it was nice seeing Tim be a part of the game this year. He gets a lot of flack from people on YouTube for being the Games cast host, but I think he has come to be a well respected figure of the company. I actually thought he brought some really fair points to the table that I hadn't thought of too.

notaxation

Neo Member
Colin has psychic powers but they only work sometimes.

Let's keep this our little secret.

Heh, again with their shots at PC gaming. TRASH, is it?

Correct.

I like Kinda Funny, but I can't stand him.

Find a different podcast?

I'm going to let you in on a little-known secret: you don't know me. Alexa is an actual, real-life friend of mine, so if you don't mind, I'll go ahead and tend to my own friendships. She and I text back and forth and have been trying to set up a dinner recently (it's been a few months), but we're both chronically busy. I wasn't even privy to or invited to the dinner Greg was talking about, and we were rather obviously hamming things up and being facetious with the "too many friends" thing. If you think I'm "arrogant" and sound like a "terrible friend," I have good news for you: we aren't friends, so you don't have to worry about it.

Otherwise, I hope you're all well! I'm so pleased with the growth PSILY has been showing since we started it, and it's all thanks to our loyal listenership/viewership. We appreciate you. I'm anxious for this Sony press conference!

EDIT: I'M IN A COLIN AND GREG SANDWICH!!! IT FEELS LIKE LOVE AND SMELLS LIKE ITALIAN SANDWICHES. I LOVE IT HERE.

Just to be clear, you're saying we know as much about TLG, Shenmue 3 and FF7R now as we did when they were announced last year?

I just want it to be clear before I call you out on making blatantly false claims.

You guys are fun. I enjoy these chats about niche games. Don't hurt me. I repent!! Please forgive me.

I don't see the problem, E3 is about hyping your brand.

Totally. Nothing wrong with it. Just think it wasn't a particularly great conference. People disagree. That's cool. No problem with people liking it. But calling these games "unicorns" and "the holy trinity". It's just funny is all. I think that's funny.

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games
I'm going to let you in on a little-known secret: you don't know me. Alexa is an actual, real-life friend of mine, so if you don't mind, I'll go ahead and tend to my own friendships. She and I text back and forth and have been trying to set up a dinner recently (it's been a few months), but we're both chronically busy. I wasn't even privy to or invited to the dinner Greg was talking about, and we were rather obviously hamming things up and being facetious with the "too many friends" thing. If you think I'm "arrogant" and sound like a "terrible friend," I have good news for you: we aren't friends, so you don't have to worry about it.

Otherwise, I hope you're all well! I'm so pleased with the growth PSILY has been showing since we started it, and it's all thanks to our loyal listenership/viewership. We appreciate you. I'm anxious for this Sony press conference!
Hey--

I do know you, and Liamc723 is making some valid points.

Also, Colin, when I opened the pumpkin cookie I'm eating to your left, I almost said "Colin, did you know Benjamin Franklin wanted out national bird to be a pumpkin?" But I knew I couldn't get through it without laughing. He wanted a turkey, but they're both Thanksgiving foods -- get it.

That's why I'm smiling to your left, Tim.

But, no, you're a good guy who I like, Colin.
Greg

Lol you guys sometimes act like you know Colin or Greg in real life. One thing to disagree with him, but another thing to spread nonsense about his character based on snippets of dialog of him on a game show.

Be sensible, even though it's a forum I'm sure character attacks aren't pleasant to read.

I think he's a pretty cool dude personally

Edit: looks like that's Colin lol...I didn't know that was his handle here. I wrote this before I even saw him posts. Yeah what he said...lol

EDIT: I'M IN A COLIN AND GREG SANDWICH!!! IT FEELS LIKE LOVE AND SMELLS LIKE ITALIAN SANDWICHES. I LOVE IT HERE.

You guys are fun. I enjoy these chats about niche games. Don't hurt me. I repent!! Please forgive me.

Totally. Nothing wrong with it. Just think it wasn't a particularly great conference. People disagree. That's cool. No problem with people liking it. But calling these games "unicorns" and "the holy trinity". It's just funny is all. I think that's funny.

You know you could use a lot less condescension in your posts.

Liamc723

Hey--I do know you, and Liamc723 is making some valid points.

"But like Alexa from Gamespot, trying to pin you down for this dinner for a long time, you're just slime. You're sliming the wall and she tries to put a pin in you and you just go around it and fall down."

Sounds like you're invited to the dinner to me Colin.

Zukkoyaki

In reference to this week's episode: I love Greg and Colin's E3 predictions! I also noticed that Colin and I are both making very similar predictions... Will be interesting to see of we're right.

Also shout out to Tim with the FFXV bundle. I also believe that will happen.

You know you could use a lot less condescension in your posts.

I was being sincere.

Those were bad posts and I feel bad about them. If I could take them back, I would. I still didn't think last year's conference was better than 2013's, for example.

And last year's Sony conference had NOTHING on Konami 2010.

Btw you're wrong Colin, TLG is gonna be epic. 90's on the meta! This gens Journey!!

And for the record, I mentioned both Team Ico games, but I should have highlighted Ico as the game that has stood the test of time more so than SoTN. I mean, you pretty much are just running around holding Yorda’s hand and solving puzzles. Even the combat is extremely minimalistic. SotC is a bit more epic in scale and maybe harder for someone to pick up and play, but certainly not Ico. It’s really a great experience even in 2016. Wish I would have clarified that lol...Still, honored to be a part of the show in that small way. Really made my day, and gained a loyal listener.

Ye of little faith

I'm with Greg on hoping for that inFamous remaster and Spider-Man thing to be true. Hard to imagine an announcement that would top that for me! Except, I really do want PlayStation All Stars 2... :3

I think a lot of people will be disappointed in TLG. Not because it'll be bad, but because a lot of people have impossibly high expectations. People assume that it's been in development this whole time, but it was basically in development for a couple years, and shelved for several before going back into development these past couple of years. Its basically a 2009 game releasing in 2016.

With that said, I'm extremely excited for TLG! But I'm keeping my expectations in check.

I was just trying to have a discussion but now you want to get passive aggressive because you've been backed into a corner with your flimsy argument. If you're unable to retort properly, you probably shouldn't be making the claims that you do.

Correct.

Greg won't like this, but I think you earned those points for the Horizon: Zero Dawn prediction. The delay and release date probably would not have been announced had E3 not been next week.

Greg won't like this, but I think you earned those points for the Horizon: Zero Dawn prediction. The delay and release date probably would not have been announced had E3 not been next week.

Dangers of them making predictions before the week before E3 (honestly they should have called a mulligan and let everyone make a different prediction).

meanspartan

Correct.

Always great to see you round these parts Colin.

Ignore the haters, we (mostly) love you.

You are wrong about the Witcher though, and yes, you are playing it wrong. Never lettin that go.

Also, Last of Us > Jak > Indiana Drake

He was seemingly happy with the conference last year, I remember him saying that Sony won the show praising the big announcements but Xbox One backwards compatibility was the biggest announcement of E3. He seems to have changed his tune or just forgotten what was at the show last year (which would make sense since on the latest Gamescast he said he thought Shenmue 3 was announced at PSX).

lol, I always get a laugh out of this when I look at my 360 collection where I can hardly play any of the games I own on Xbox One and of the few I can play they look and/or run worse than they do just playing them on 360.

BC as it currently exists on XB1 is awful.

I was just trying to have a discussion but now you want to get passive aggressive because you've been backed into a corner with your flimsy argument. If you're unable to retort properly, you probably shouldn't be making the claims that you do.

Who's arguing? Who's being passive aggressive? "Making claims?" And what "flimsy arguments"? That we don't know much more about those games? A trailer and an interview? I guess that is indeed technically more. And if people are happy with that then that's great. I'm sure we'll hear much more next week. So, put down the pitchforks, we're all friends here.

I think a separation of the how the show is as a show, and the content of that show is possible. I don't have a PS4 or intend to ever get one, yet in my opinion Sony's E3 2015 conference was the best press conference or media briefing I've ever seen. I don't have any hype for the Shenmue 3 (even though I was day one on Shenmue DC), TLG, or FFVIIR, but I can respect the magnitude of their revivals and announcements in the same show. That on top of a strong stream of new games and announcements. When you take the macro view, a lot of the games shown were more than a year out, and perhaps a review of the show today is more disappointing since there are still so many games yet to be released, but at the time it was amazing.

I appreciate that, completely understand. And yes, it was a great show. It definitely got the audience excited. And that's what it's supposed to do.

lol, I always get a laugh out of this when I look at my 360 collection where I can hardly play any of the games I own on Xbox One and of the few I can play they look and/or run worse than they do just playing them on 360.

BC as it currently exists on XB1 is awful.

IF BC is your biggest announcement, of select titles no less, your doing it wrong.

Blow people away or bust? No middle ground?

For this game, I actually don't think there will be a middle ground, to be honest. The concept sounds like it's going to be very divisive -- zombies, motorcycles, and black humour. It's either going to hit, or people are going to hate it.

Top Bottom